Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #384
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, November 28 1997       Volume 02 : Number 384

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:07:25 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: NoWin: Denotational

> My personal belief is that the term win in Beldin's Pants cannot
> unambiguously be interpreted as implying win a Cycle of Ackanomic.
> Therefore I am posting this on the NoWin thread.  Anyone else who believes
> that the game has not been won, I would suggest (but what do I know, I'm
> only the second most recent active player) should include some note in
> their Subject: lines to indicate this.

I confess that, while I find it possible that Malenkai and I won the
Cycle, I don't necessarily plan to harf the winning thread until matters
are a bit more clear, because frankly I don't know if I can handle it.
:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The J. Geils Band:You're Gettin' Even While I'm Gettin' Odd
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
There's a jelly baby floating in my Earl Grey!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:10:36 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2417

> I like it, but...

> "If the owner of this card, when it is played, does not possess a Shovel
> of some description[that is, an entity with the word "Shovel" in its
> name], then the card has no effect."

> The problem is that the text in square brackets has no game effect,
> therefore the proposed rule would work as if it were not there. If I
> recall a particular military laser incident correctly, this means that
> it would not work as you intend. Normal parentheses work wonders in this
> sort of situation.

Well, hey, maybe we can have a round of CFJ's on whether or not a given
entity is a Shovel.  :-)  I also find it possible that bracketed notes,
while not rule-effective, may be game-custom-effective.  (Although I am
intrigued by the thought of bracketed notes that bear no relation to
the Rules they accompany...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The J. Geils Band:You're Gettin' Even While I'm Gettin' Odd
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
"Wow!  My drumsticks went over Niagara Falls!"  --Bugs Potter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:48:21 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Said Next

Having spent a long afternoon trying to put my house in
order(chronological order, this time, alphabetical not having worked
that well), I sat in a plushly-upholstered lounge, practicing on the
Great Trombone of Ackanomia(well, my Caliban head was blowing into the
mouthpiece, but I was manipulating the slide--sometimes it seemed I was
better suited to bagpipes).  Suddenly, I heard a thud on the roof, and
leapt from my perch to see what was the matter.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a tiny matchbox,
coloured festively for some season where red and blue were the festive
colours.  "Phoebe?" I said, nonplussed.

A select round of asterisked curse-words emerged from the box before
Phoebe herself did.  "Figures," she muttered.  "I should've made sure of
my trajectory before launching out.  I forgot that I should aim to miss
the other wing of your house."

"Well, while you're here...what do you think the chances are of the
Beldin's Pants thing working?"

Phoebe shrugged.  "Not the best, I'd say, but not the worst either.  My
bet is that you may end up both winning the Cycle, but neither of you
will get a Champion's Cloak or Right-Handed Grapefruit because those are
patently unique.  But all those who enjoy CFJ's will have a field day in
the days to come."  She gazed at me narrowly.  "Those who prefer a more
stable game-state that is easier to harf, however, may be tearing their
hair out."

With that, she ducked back inside the matchbox, which was launched into
the air with a prodigious leap, this time far away from kaa A5.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Todd Rundgren:Todd
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
One flash of light, but no smoking pistol.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 21:56:22 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2417

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Well, hey, maybe we can have a round of CFJ's on whether or not a given
> entity is a Shovel.  :-)  I also find it possible that bracketed notes,
> while not rule-effective, may be game-custom-effective.  (Although I am
> intrigued by the thought of bracketed notes that bear no relation to
> the Rules they accompany...)

Possibly the best solution would be to put something in the generic
entity rules stating explicitly that any named entity is a member of a
class of entities corresponding to each noun in its name, which seems
intuitive to me. Consider this an rfc.
**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:03:27 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spelling Bee

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> The Spelling Bee is flying!  Here's what it stings:
> 
> 
> Rule 210, "Literature":
>  Change "plagarism" to "plagiarism".
>  Change "ammended" to "amended".
>  Change "ammendment" to "amendment".
>  Change "ammendments" to "amendments".
> 
> Rule 910, "The Ackanomicon"
>  Change "calender" to "calendar".
>  Change "irresistably" to "irresistibly".
>  Change "stil" to "still".
>  Change "tantilizing" to "tantalizing".
>  Change "Qualifed" to "Qualified".
>  Change "commited" to "committed".
>  Change "ammend" to "amend".
>  Change "decribe" to "describe".
>  Change "occurance" to "occurrence".
>  Change "Chartruse" to "Chartreuse".
>  Change "possesion" to "possession".
> 
> Rule 945, "The Cabinet"
>  Change "possesion" to "possession".
>  Change "handels" to "handles".
>  Change "infinte" to "infinite".
>  Change "eccept" to "except".
>  Change "durring" to "during".
>  Change "whever" to "wherever".
>  Change "Comtempt" to "Contempt".
> 

Heh, OK, I admit it.  I'm terrible at spelling, and I type so damn fast I
miss most of my typos to boot.  With that said, are you sure that "eccept"
wasn't supposed to be "except"?  If so, even I am impressed by my
ineptness.

                - Vynd (wondering how many mistakes are in this mail)

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:17:26 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Seen a good movie lately?

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> Some films to consider watching this weekend:
> 
> JFK
> Batman Forever
> The Doors
> French Kiss
> 
> Malenkai
> 

Err.  Are you sure you didn't just draw these at random out of a hat?
That's a comment on the variety, not the quality.

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:18:51 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Newspaper Mama

I hereby announce that I am setting up a Newspaper (not that Acka probably
doesn't have enough already.)  It will be known as:

The Infrequent Ackan

and its slogan is "All the News that's fit to Harf".
Please note that the slogan is not part of its title.

Expect to see articles from The Infrequent Ackan coming your way soon!

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:27:59 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2405

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Malenkai wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > Iwould love to see one or the other go.  But not likely, I'm afraid.
> > > I want a single currency called mana, earned via game actions, and used
> > > to effect changes in the game state.  
> > Votes? Vote fractions?
> I've been lurking on the Agora list.  I have one thing to say:
> 
Likewise.

> DO NOT GO THERE.
I agree. But when Malenkai wrote about units that can affect the Game
State, that was the first thing that came to  mind. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:38:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2417

I like this, and will vote for it. However,

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Proposal 2417
> The Pick, The Sickle And The Shovel
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> Counter-Action: The card-player's Shovel, any entities taken from the
> Undead by playing the Card, and one other entity chosen at random(or
> 10 A$ or PFs, as in the last sentence of the previous paragraph, if no
> other entities are owned by the card-player), are transferred to the
> possession of the Undead.

I'd prefer that it would be trasnferred to the Treasury.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:42:19 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Vol 1 No 1

Volume 1, Issue 1
November 28, 1997
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Latest Ackanomic News, straight from the Horse's Mouth

Editorial
Welcome to the first issue of The Infrequent Ackan.  Given the usual
difficulty in maintaining high expectations with the publishing of these
and similar game-related newspapers, this Editor has taken the unusual
step of starting out with low expectations.  By only telling you that this
newspaper will be updated infrequently, the Editor avoids the problems of
creating an unsuitable name.
The purpose of this newspaper is to ensure that all Ackanomia's citizenry
are kept well up to date with the nature of game play as it stands, and to
do with current events shaking the world of Acka.  We hope to feature
interviews, Treasure Hunt details, recaps on classic proposals, and much,
much more.  Of course, that's what we hope.  Now, we also hope that all
our readers in Ackanomia remember the subtext behind our motto:
"If we don't publish it, it ain't harfy."
Towards that end, we will also, where possible, be keeping track of Harfy
proposals, and, should they arise, Harfy Chess Moves.  If you think that
something is harfy, send it in by all means.  I seriously doubt that we
will be flooded with articles, and insufficient space to print them, at
least in the early days.
May you all enjoy a good read.
Slakko
Editor, The Infrequent Ackan

Latest Ackanomic News
By Slakko
Deuce Reporter, Infrequent Ackan
As is to be expected, great events are shaking the foundations of Acka
once more.  The SPAM Party, newly formed on October 31st, is behind
attempts to affect the immutability of Rule 1.  It is expected that this
will set off yet another flood of CFJs.  However, this attempt must wait
for a couple of days at least, for the voting periods on Proposals 2392
and 2393 to expire.  In the meantime, moves will revolve around the claim
of a win by all-around Ackanomic Supremo Malenkai, jointly with our
illustrious President Alfvaen.
Use of the Magic Potato's properties as Beldin's Tailor gave Malenkai the
opportunity to amend Beldin's Pants.  While this practice has been common
in the past, Malenkai added a new twist, by changing the word "trinket" to
the word "win".  He then claimed that, as at noon yesterday, he and
Alfvaen had both won a cycle, because, as recipients of the Parka, they
each gain one win every Thursday at noon.
The editorial staff here at the Infrequent Ackan are slightly bemused by
this logic.  While, indeed, both players have gained a "win", this does
not necessarily imply that they have won a cycle.  There are more things
that can be won in Ackanomic than merely a Cycle of the great Game,
notably Duels, Games & Contests, Grab-a-Donkey, and possibly even Party
Chess.  For Malenkai to suggest that the "win" referred to in Beldin's
Pants is unambiguously a win of a Cycle appears to be a jump in logic
which a kangaroo would be proud of.
The Infrequent Ackan interviewed the Fat Lady about this.  Here is an
excerpt from her response:
"So, first thing I know is I suddenly started singing at noon, at least I
thought I did.  Malenkai always seems to know exactly when I'm going to
start.  It would be a little embarrassing though if it turns out I wasn't
singing, because then I was both singing and not singing at the same time.
It does terrible things to one's voice, it does.  I just hope the Brass
Monkey has some gargle handy"

The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.
Copyright  Duncan Richer aka Slakko, 28/11/97.
Check us out on the web, at
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 07:34:29 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spelling Bee

> > Rule 945, "The Cabinet"
> >  Change "eccept" to "except".

> Heh, OK, I admit it.  I'm terrible at spelling, and I type so damn fast I
> miss most of my typos to boot.

I think I've managed to incorporate typo-correction into my typing...
And yes, I did notice that most of the corrections I made were by two
different players, of which you were one...

> With that said, are you sure that "eccept"
> wasn't supposed to be "except"?  If so, even I am impressed by my
> ineptness.

Hmmm.  Maybe "eccept" was supposed to be "except", instead of "except".
Well, if it was wrong the first time, it won't have been a successful
stinging...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Todd Rundgren:An Elpee's Worth of Toons
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
Let us settle our indifferences.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:55:27 -0600
From: "Crackfoo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Trade

This is accepted.

- ----------
> From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
> To: Ackanomic Main Mailing List <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Public Trade
> Date: Wednesday, November 26, 1997 4:39 PM
> 
> I hereby offer to trade Crackfoo A$500 for a Whamiol.
> 
> Yours sincerely,
> Slakko
> --
> Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
> Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
> "Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
> "We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:12:19 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Trade

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Crackfoo wrote:

> This is accepted.

I publically retracted this before you accepted it.  Sorry.
I changed my mind - A$500 is rather a lot, you know.

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:25:34 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Seen a good movie lately?

> > JFK
> > Batman Forever
> > The Doors
> > French Kiss
> >
> > Malenkai
> >
> 
> Err.  Are you sure you didn't just draw these at random out of a hat?
> That's a comment on the variety, not the quality.

Actually, htere is a pattern.  Apparently not the correct pattern,
though :-)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:27:03 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

> I am building a Pyriac Frobnotzer.  It will be done in 3 days.

This is complete.  An public auction now begins to
last for 3 days.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:32:21 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > I am building a Pyriac Frobnotzer.  It will be done in 3 days.
> 
> This is complete.  An public auction now begins to
> last for 3 days.

I bid A$30 for this fine example of a Pyraic Frobnotzer.

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:01:35 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : CFJ ineligibility list.

Am I on it?
If I am , I'd like to be taken off it.
TIA
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:23:25 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chess: Purchase

I, Slakko, hereby purchase a Party Chess Piece Echo (E).  The cost
is A$43, which I gladly pay to the Treasury.  The piece will come into my
own possession, as Swinger for SPAM.

Yours,
Slakko
SPAM Swinger

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:24:39 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chess: Purchase Correction

My apologies.  The amount payable is A$50.  I still pay it though, and
still purchase that Echo.  I have not bought two echoes, however.

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 11:08:04 -1000
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Win

Seems to me that, as previously noted by Slako, that the term 'win' in
Beldin's Pants could refer to a win at just about anything, making the change
ambiguous and hence impermissable according to R 939. Perhaps a CFCJ is also
in order?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 11:07:45 -1000
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NoWin: Denotational

Seems to me that, as previously noted by Slako, that the term 'win' in
Beldin's Pants could refer to a win at just about anything, making the change
ambiguous and hence impermissable according to R 939. Perhaps a CFCJ is also
in order?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 23:56:50 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gaoler

The following have volunteered for the office of
Gaoler.  Reply to vote; the election lasts 3 days:

K 2
ThinMan
Vynd

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #384
*******************************