Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #380
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Tuesday, November 25 1997      Volume 02 : Number 380

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:50:45 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bond Dividends, November 24, 1997

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> I should note firstly that Slakko got 5 A$ more for last bond cycle because
> of the effects of CFJ whatever-it-was.
> 
> This cycle is, of course, dominated by the Tornado that Vynd unwittingly
> unleashed on an unsuspecting and unprepared Ackanomic.  So RexBank really
> cleans up, here, as does the soon-to-be-removed Dread Pirate Roberts.
> Interestingly, Niccolo Flychuck breaks entirely even for the two-week
> period...
> 

Hey!  It wasn't my fault!  It was, um, two-star, I think, I was just
really excited when I saw the dice results and wanted to make sure
everyone knew. :)

                      - Vynd, who fears creating rules that only he uses

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:56:43 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Online Dictionaries

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:

> 
> I downloaded the good old sable .gz dictionary file, and did a couple of
> searches in there.  What I was amazed at was the lack of common usage
> words in there.  
> Each time I try to telnet to MarlDooM, it takes ages to get through.
> 
> Is there any chance we could add another dictionary to the online list?  I
> found the Merriam Webster site at http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm
> and it seems to work.

Let me remind you all, not that you're likely to have forgotten, that I
asked for a new official dictionary myself not too long ago.  I have the
opposite problem from Slakko though, I can't get through to sable but can
use MarlDooM.

> 
> Yours,
> Slakko

                                      - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:32:20 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Online Dictionaries

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> 
> On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> > 
> > I downloaded the good old sable .gz dictionary file, and did a couple of
> > searches in there.  What I was amazed at was the lack of common usage
> > words in there.  
> > Each time I try to telnet to MarlDooM, it takes ages to get through.
> > 
> > Is there any chance we could add another dictionary to the online list?  I
> > found the Merriam Webster site at http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm
> > and it seems to work.
> 
> Let me remind you all, not that you're likely to have forgotten, that I
> asked for a new official dictionary myself not too long ago.  I have the
> opposite problem from Slakko though, I can't get through to sable but can
> use MarlDooM.

Well, seeing as I downloaded the sable file to gunzip it, it just happens
to be in my web directories.  Try
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/dictionary.txt

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
"We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:13:10 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Welcome (portraits)

I'd like to welcome our new Ackanomians, and encourage them (and any other
of the Faceless Multitudes) to submit a portrait for inclusion in the
Gallery.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 97 15:17:55 -0600
From: Tom Warmbrodt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Portrait

- --Emailer_-1280227597
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

enclosed is my symbol, the Crest of Blorgville, of which I am the Sacred 
Champion. I have no portrait.

- -Michael Wren

aka

- -Tom Warmbrodt // [email-masked]

"I am nostalgic for nothing. I am the pawn, I am the king." -J Church

- --Emailer_-1280227597
Content-Type: application/mac-binhex40; name="blorg.gif"

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
:#@*XEh*R,QGTCJ"(58CQ1%**63!!!!!1[!!!!!$ZK8G*4MJjB@N!D3$hr`$rrrm
B'"JK)5%T+5QFP*3j-6'-Fh-T)5%a)5&5-6&D-6&#)5%a'"KM+5PD)5&c)5'%8NT
l5N*c5N*M16&D-5P5+5&V3MPl@P*5-5PM3MPV8NT516&#+5(1[E9D15P5-5'%8MP
cBeT53MPc@NU8De*515Q%DeTD3M&l@N+%BdTV5M'eM'[1R(1%Ff0#16&M8N*+15Q
FM(Xj-5Na+5&D5MPlBdT53M'FHeTV8MQPHe+FFdTc8M'PHdUPFcQpR(1PK&UeR(Y
lBd,'R'0c@MQpP&UYK%VRaT58Fd,1T@1pP&+PR)b%HfZFK&V'T@[HY@ZYM&,@V@2
1T9UpYD@-HeV1V@Z%DcP+3M([cS5eR'1YP&VH[A-a+4L8Hd,R[@1eP%VHY9UpVB6
HaSc'V@[RaR0cBcQYP&+-Fc('YB5YR'[RcS5pT@2rhS5eR&+PM%,HcTc1[B6rjjb
8K&,[eS6RcR[@[@[1Y@2rjichhS6HaR2HaQZpT9,[jmE@cUfpYC6RhV@eVBc'[C6
1[A0D8M('Y@[rji455LRhhR[[eR1YR&+8K%,[jlhHeUh@cUA1aTbeVB4lFdVhjj6
[hSc@aR1eT9V[jlA1aT5pYB5-K&,rlj5%HdU%Hd,@aQZYT@[rpkh@cSbpYA2'[A1
- -K%,rpj5PR$QYVD@-M)6rrqr[lpl@eXErrqIhppk8P)6HhXC#3MRhppE[lml1cUh
'aUAhpmkeYC6RjlhHhV@%K'ZYVBc@eUh1cUA[llh'aTcHhUh1cT`j15Rrrl958MP
VDdU%K&VrrkeMBd,HhT6rrjbeY@ZFR&U8P%VhphYcFcP58L(hrlelK$RHliaVFd+
eaQYDBc&lK&UPYB3j3M&cK'XT15%a5LNB5LNB-5%B3LNK-5N33LN)8M%!8M%B+5N
!-8))+6NB)8)!%&S3'&)T+6NK)6NK)8))#&)3#%SK'%ST)8)a)8SK%#Nj+6Na'#N
j)6&#'$'PP*a+-6P#+6&5-6P#)5Q-!"KM'#&5%"Kl#"L%#"KV%"Kc%"J!!!!X!!!
!!'N!D3"!#2m!C@!B5,#J`B-)%bTFb,#K3iEXb2RcefmLaAi%5f$3b('MaiiJ2iS
- -5A+NbC)S6hU-5+kPbjEmBXUFb@pIcCSC9DEFqA'#"je!8l*m5E3S2Rj(m5P&ZV3
T8k43(I"%D@%#"Lk'l+3TNJH0Q%1(2P@cPb(Sak&&dkSPTl5YflG`ilk9DVE%"RJ
AM0Qj-bB2T$"N&0`VZc%NfV@)%FYGc,La8VSN*mJSN!"!aS`""`BSi(JiXHI2MN1
,AZc!#J)CU1X9N!!KB-#icl"MZaa0ZrBqe6*Fq%+0HF!jfF!pealHPPq$%f55)5X
c#8NG1Qc`f*%c*id6)AU3!1K3%bH1*M)P2YMr#dkq+I'h$bC`'B6Q4BXA"cKNXI@
YI[eXYe,4UZ@(eTipX[L4LbbTh-+0IGr!d!BD00KM!!Sqe"%'%r53!,G@8ZHpGBp
phR5c66AG))JJ$Dbi3NNPLe655#fjl%*,+UUiX)dh)Ql6LJ4$@&#CL0q%Nik&Xa'
h)Bp%&[N00L'SdKq,M5bb##1-Z')++30NBq594ISBQf0$BZNPMa`SB3S[I[6LC"q
lr&&,+UI)`!'0AmC*T*C'*G@PR(MQUHHH@)D6cjrjF$"9AB31DQLK*Kffck+-0VU
22cNG+LQLNaS'fP&3*8A6TK8-91P)#RK!4L#3!"KM$#4fc(%*$"*3HKD3!'marbA
D8imGUN!0F)Kbb"c$r$*-*'P!)XNBK`cM#4NFK+"6Cd#fj*DX'FEPJ&N6`%!$#NI
3i%jQ&*!!a'bcDN8E,@3ES@DZ$!0JpJkicBVVVP,hR$YCZJ*mbqkPlfCSM`Nm#2&
&&%*N!80Qei4cEhR3j[Y!$B(-JF8QKcJK#4%N3!#""#LX3-3AKpaKKb&cK%&%$b"
B))%%%+4!4##5d$((FjpFiS'pX1DV&!e%52+#"5L3!%$&&-!!%D*peA53!!S[[H5
5#b0)-l,(+kNmSJh4R'6b6KCBC)('*8b%N3Nikrai,iERh5PR0bHmiJSMIN$C#"r
lXC)+(eAbD4qG`-A+Q0PfIrpc63ZUd,*))e#fcFJLUTLb"!2H`0NhM`BR4RCEI$q
1B$HBCkljjTYE(LIH$P3!`d1NPflkkDHEie)rqE$H6cqMIbUlUl0lQpDMMeTNNDH
dpejlS656%j00-MQkD+Hr*qrl4X'r&"1QQp*N%r,,4cC"+-CmBS-%bTI3I&UDKTq
TTM401cX'%N`J4"l%MP(%#NhB3FJRk&Ik[@,Qj9rFXq'6DqJ%J6#'(!`",%P8jaL
"')-GM#%+'bL,*rIl6-,Fj6q9$13G-B#$)6$4#@0%)K*DU%-D*(%%&BKJ!bL*S'a
X*Le$$D!&4M"#'-,J!`R)J"iU8@&j@%JD#jE!!c"!)3crC(!!H!c!8JF6$JmGBck
4*1!bjKT!DcD!!4dHE)QdSBX0CP!2'HaQ-Ue"4a+$JmAK`)#,ZCPAZRicaK91X)a
biFHjZPL!!V4'G@hFdK[K#*F(R#YHm5$L!GLB4p$X%BllH%#S9'!"*V!"#Pf)C")
%)30Yc!!',Z#'f!SC,[kam!%U+)-Dj"#&(dLL$8pSJKMBS!Fpc%%8GjM$'2!JK"l
`!!Y#`))C*['F+%K#%i+!`6Si+6a24ZX"3C!!a#4!)BNIY%)!m#KLZZ!4!!+B3Mq
!%)-12V#&B&$M4E')jJaQF)!$-)!"%c!P(MK4M&"XS%**e&q'([!"-3#K(Y@)``V
%m2q$"9c#FGqS4Kp53BNR13)3,H)$,"+hLUPpSh&-U%%+0S%&),`J!&0i`c(L-FE
p6@iir+$!$`,"#6*!!`f"U-%f4'3&4U6#$lc!45jdi3GFi+)@8#2'5Z[M$3cm!!Y
9N!!"0kb!M#D%i%$H%)FkaRE)d9315rD3!0XLH%%i2Kb1%@YkK3bXC+4X!&4%i9L
UK@4&Up!mp8[CS)%V&&',`IP"3,RSK5j-)38%I*92BFhE4rIQ19qd`"4YE83M,0%
N0cJ0!+YJR1F3&$NPFQQap[&&+I6cT%@!!3ar!-3VS+D"'G`9XRRYT&aN!&NH`@!
HJ#f''aB"#eK!D4'TB-8-1&"D)rpj)l3Z54KTDm[EhR)SVk)V6!Q'5pcL'[Hib%f
ZFTI,h1BkplJXFB"dBeHpkRD28QJ"e*p'CphZAPFS4DP)49VAM`Tmel[SeFLhG-I
H5+Ah[C1LQI%@C4(c`[HqJfVHSQSbhd@jpl`!cL&XCQ)6iK@B8IK0F%G8',hS%Hq
rhYf"K#f!AL[+4(c3)h")ckX#$c$"9-1JKJJb-)(I@4%QqmX89"TF`8Tj3!9NN!$
%)5)TK#M-`4#%B!)-#"2ICL@-V%iKAdaD6#J-l'!#6`$,&j`c##B3BJdr5-!&HJ`
Z[CN(b,4##T&jBJ%,F')1XE`#%ZD!"SMK!4,2J)B'U$L9%i2[rie!pLKFYR`5"3b
"JG6TK+mL3BGL[-%*N6#'-J54,+#iZC00[E)mDe@A%Y!!#-EBe5pq!3FkT!%1,EY
$'R+3!)%,m!k*(GeVD2C)Cj!!+!![EPL$(H`3L5Y)`K"0)!%&V!AK3dZZM+Aq5!)
3F!B'fN%8`jL#B'L3!)$rfYUaZ"j8"KKJJbU8m"le11+R9d,-)2%4(k8Z`@DJSB-
bU%!!h"!!Qep9E@YI'pXk%8bmlM%$)fTQ`H8QbVRR8K)Da%X'l%lA!8l![(MADGj
ZD5*(kR'2bXbV062c0rJ!2QH1#'D)pI"&ZU3i6)ArQq&c`F!'CL#[!A$M!+qaZ,`
a,KF-c-!&U2p"Z4d&)%D4[i6NFPP!'U2im@1h#qC`14I+d59&2,VF@6KrPXjj%fk
IrccSERP!2,iBaGB3mZLL"[J$I#')C5!M'Fk3!-B@-X10RjXEj[a3J$e'8)8fU)%
0N`J#!Z)"MJ(FeZXBhdHJV%!$D)4L%RM`!K31BBK0J,!1Sh!'-3U4J40mB!2Sf'5
j`eI'"``K%eLJJb4kN!#&39$"#dN3!TJ0BF!me+%*@HJA%R`3Kd!F)a-i5(Le&qd
Zia`K%(9``aMUN!#(69""#&kJ!K+JN!#(3a$L$R,B&4hdi!8XB)%jH+$$*03`KdP
m3K1&J'FH@6r280"K%*piJ`pb)!&j,!!H4Mc!ra*fm3NQ6+)*ND!##CEYJQP-i`$
a@-!p&Q#2#+b!%T)!"53#NBN-C+!F(C9SY!&+2U!'"SJ%+6!&dk!0fV!0A[80hD!
%!*!!#K6B$,XJ$,[J#UPJ#UB`#ql!$GF3JZMb!YB`$@iJ#AL!"*)3ID%QCm64!"k
!"@S`$Hl`#0!`$BJ3$$%!80J`#dHc#)!!"Sb!#hb3!!YrX!HQ3!!1p9!i`!B5m!J
RS!'Y8!*D%!M)B(213hfdX3mPS!GR!!b)J!9Xd!6"!!p-!&$9)!9(d`Xba3HiX!L
e`!U[B!UP-$4(JJJMN!!!1I!$S$!)&b!)Ei!'("92,03!*#!*b6!!m%!2%*!!#Cr
rJ!-!j3*'``Z88!Zl8!Zm`!Y$1)I"X)6H!!&LB!-VN!!#pa!2#6!)@@!&h6!1!$J
f8@G'0P!"%X!%68!&@#!#GQJI)Q!d6Y),P1!(Hb"6Y+!+UI!#1e8If!!$1I!*dA"
q@9!$"r"EBZ9Mq3)$H5)#U%"3+,))I2#,MI!LVV"94C)0-*!!!!A`@BeP)FC8'pD
B*pj!$e"$*VZ3!!Y`5!Y`S`Ue-!0FK9H+Yd,4dSjkiJeU*3Ze3!Y3`JLj`#*)#![
Lq$MTZ#@[Z"J!Z5ICS!'"3`ZlN!#46V)d8N)+GV9B$bNF2pBB%mNRf!!iHl!)LS#
4I-"@M5!,TU!%"r"CGS-hYcBD*D&T0lk`")#e#%E3#'I!#'lJ#A``Kk8`Nlb&@aF
5N8U4NhhM#lD3!!Ue`!L0X!YmB&9BG3UQ%!`If9Xf@44a"KGRC6GEX!TMdMDG`!L
1X!YpJ$LUd!T[iP[emC9"XNGMf6FFJ&Tl8!Z9`!ZjB&90BJU[X!@d*CGhdipX)8p
1k6Rkd*L1qCL3!2QB#f#BKrPbNh1AP*QC9h*EBV-rLkQCS2NPR"N3!$[[)`!!:
- --Emailer_-1280227597--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:30:45 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: SBOC

Feeling braver this time, I approached the table on which my Spell Book
of Chorg had taken up residence.  The latch worked easilly, and I opened
the book to the next page.  I began the incantation with confidence,
certain that I could control the powers I was unleashing (but less
certain about exactly what powers those were).

As I read, my vision began to darken and became slightly blurry. I
raised a hand to wipe my eyes.  It was then that I realized -- the
runes on the page were disappearing, turning into black smoke as I read
them!  I dared not disrupt the spell to open the window, and hurrying
the ritual seemed unwise, so I simply persevered.  By the end I was
holding back coughs and trying not to choke as the smoke billowed about
me; for all I knew a wheeze at the wrong point might have brough down
a tornado on Acka.  I uttered the last syllables, certain that the
words came out in black smoke and convinced that my lungs were utterly
black as well.  I had time to see the page itself disappear in a cloud
of like smoke before I passed out.

As I slept the sleep of the asphyxiating I dreamt of black smoke, and
an inky black object floating, semi-obscured.  I pushed through the
smoke towards the object, feeling as if I was wading through molasses.
The smoke seemed to have little fingers -- or perhaps hooks -- intent
on holding me back.  My strength began to fail, and just as I thought
I would not reach my goal, my hand fell on the dark form.  At that
instant the smoke cleared and I opened my eyes, full of new insight.

ThinMan

P.S.: I hereby read the third page of my Spell Book of Chorg.  TM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:21:32 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka : That Patch/MetaMorph CFJ

Seems to me like we've arrived at the point of re-iterating the same
points in a couple of different ways.
So, here's just a couple:

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> > process itself, or even the fact that there is a process being a
> > immaterial part of the rules, exceptas it serves the rule's function.
> > 
> Hold on, there!  You just said that the rule's phrasing is not about
> process, and now you say it is.  
No. I'm still saying that the rule is not about process, and that process
here is a tool to an end that does not require this process or any other
process, but it is a useful tool.

>The only way I can reconcile those
> statements is to assume that you mean that the process is implicit
> in the wording.  I do not agree with that.

I was refering to Organizations with the above statement. Your reply
suggests that you se this as refering to R1015.

> I'm having trouble with your objection to that axiom.  As far as I can
> tell, the axiom is the denotation of the word "become."  What I have
> maintained is that if at the game state is different at one point in
> time than it is at another, then somewhere in between it changed --
> ceased being one and became the other.  These are defintions, not
> assertions.

State A and State B are observable states. As an entity is in state A at
time t1 and state B at time t2, you say that by definition a change of
state has occured between those two times. So basically you are changing
that change is implicit in the Game State - so why do you object to it
being implicit in a rule?

> > the conditions alike'. If there were a distinction to be drawn out of
> > this
> > rule, then it is the distinction between entities that require a
> > process
> > to be defined for them, and entities that do not require a process to
> > be
> > defined for them.
> > 
> I am sure that that is what you had in mind when you wrote the rule, but
It has nothing to do with what I had in my mind, the text draws an
explicit distinction between entities that are able to consent, and
other entities.

> implicit in rule 1015 as written.  I reiterate that rule 1015 most
> certainly says nothing about Metamorph's consent to PPN's membership
> being required, and nothing about PPN's actual consent, either -- only
> its ability to consent. 

No argument there. I stated as much in my first message requesting the
Ambassador to query the Patch. It's a giant loophole and I'll submit a
proposal to fix it. 

Niccolo Flychuck

ps1 - sorry I made it so short, but we're going around each other in
geometric forms. We're just gonna have to find another issue to quibble
over :)  
  I suppose had it not been nomic debate as a G&C might have been fun, but
  we tend to do that anyway.

ps2 - some points of this discussion reminded me of a discussion I saw
over at agora a couple of days ago. Apparently someone gave currency to
Plato and they were arguing over whether a dead philosopher can own
property, whether a shortly dead person's ability to own property changes
when after he has been dead for a long time, and whether dead people can
own property at all, and about Herites paradox:a sand pile is made up of
stacked sand grains.
one grain is not a pile.
Adding one grain of sand to something which is not a sand pile does not
make a pile of sand - therefore it is impossible to create a pile of sand
by stacking grain of sand.

fascinating.

ps3  - Helllloo ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:40:55 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2396

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > I like the principle except for a couple of points:
> > Even if we continue in the current rate of play, a week will see at most
> > 2-3 plays.
> 
> Yes, but also during a Free-For-All?  That could be harfy.

Oh. yeah right (and FFA was one of mine:)

Ok. It's a yes

> 
> 
> > It requires the HArfmeister to be subscribed to Party Chess.
> 
> Only if the Chess-Umpire thinks they're much harfier than anyone else.
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> - --
> Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
> Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
> "Begone, fools, and give me the bird."
> "We'd love to, but the Fox censors won't allow it."
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:13:03 -0000
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silly Actions

> I hereby take possession of the Little Lamb, assuming that I can do so (I
> believe Rex has had it for more than one week now).  This costs me A$10.
> I purchase a Wool Sweater, for A$10, and wear it.
> 
> Yours,
> Slakko
> 
Mundi had a little lamb...

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:11:42 -0000
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Why not?

After having put all my money into (the recently enriched :-)) RexBank, I
went over to the library to deposit some back issues of The Rex Times in
their archives. On my way out, I came across a passageway I'd never seen
before, and somehow ended up walking down it.
Eventually, I came to a large, barred door, which swung silently open as I
approached. My curiosity got the better of me, and in I went. Pausing only
to shout the Earth is ROUND!!!", I looked at the book...

#transfer Rex Mundi, RexBank: 12 A$
I am going to *that* room, in search of forbidden knowledge.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 22:58:52 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: zuke Suit

I vote sammy _ to be the new zuke zute. Yoohoo! let's impeach her!

er Phil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:37:03 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: apologies

I seem to be suffering from post-Mortem snowgod's disease.  Please forgive
me, or burn me, or do whatever the rules do to people like me now days.
Greeting, and so long.

Mr. Lunatic (er, phil) Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:35:03 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 471 Verdict

CFJ 471 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 471
  Subject: That message
Initiator: Alfvaen
Submitted: 97-11-14 21:33
    Judge: Malenkai (declined)
2nd Judge: Slakko (declined)
3rd Judge: two-star (selected 97-11-18 23:22)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Red Barn buried a Majik called Big-Nosed Kilroy on October 13th, 1997.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Red Barn posted a message with the subject "Trinket Creation" on October
10th, 1997, which described, among other attempted actions, the creation
and burial of a Majik called Big-Nosed Kilroy.  Malenkai pointed out later
that day that none of the actions succeeded, since(then)it was impossible
to take a public action in a message whose subject was not prefaced by
"Acka:" or "Ackanomic:".

On October 13, 1997, Red Barn posted a message with subject "Acka: Redo",
in which he states:

   I repeat the attempted actions in that message, in the order in which
   I attempted them earlier.

The context(which includes a quote of Malenkai's response)makes it
clear which message "that message" refers to, i.e. "Trinket Creation".
The "Trinket Creation" message does unambiguously(and in great
detail)specify a sequence of attempted actions.  Therefore I contend that
the attempted actions in "Acka: Redo" were specified fully and
unambiguously, and furthermore did not fail for any other reason(since the
game state did not change between the two posts to make the actions
impossible).

Therefore, at the time "Acka: Redo" was received by the server, the actions
specified in "Trinket Creation" were performed, and Big-Nosed Kilroy was
buried.

two-star's Reasoning:

I judge true, based on a vague sense from sort of looking at the
postmaster rule that it should work.

I intended to have enough time to do this right, but they shifted my
weekend back three days at work, so what with a dentist appointment, an
extra chorale rehearsal, and a friend of my family in town in the last
couple days I didn't have time. I realize I havent been pulling my
weight here lately. I've kinda gotten out of the rhythm of things. I'm
bad.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:55:42 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 471 Appeal

I am appealing CFJ 471 to the Supreme Court.  I don't have time for
formal reasoning so I attach some of my discussion with Alfvaen that
we had before the CFJ was submitted:

Malenkai's Reasoning:

My opinion was that the first message did not exist at all in the acka
game state, therefore there was no "that message", therefore there were
no "attempted actions", therefore some of the referrants in the above
passage refer to things that did not exist in acka, and therefore the
above quote is vacuous, and therefore what it attempts to do fails
(or failed). [above in this paragraph refers to Alfvaen's comments in
the CFJ reasoning].

How can one repeat attempted actions that did not exist?  It would be
one thing if the actions failed because he did not have enough money 
the first time (but it was otherwise a legal message), but in this 
case the *message* he refers to never existed, with mail filters on 
acka mail it was not publically knowable, therefore a referral to a
non-PK thing has no meaning to me, or to the rules, I would argue.
Its like saying: 'I perform the actions listed in 
/home/malenkai/acka/actions.html', or I perform the actions listed
on the back of my tee shirt.

This reasoning is a little different than the discussion of the
ambiguity of the phrase "that message", as you discuss, and it is
important to point out that it is an entirely different argument.
My argument is based on that fact that "that message" does not
exist in the nomic game state, or rather, that its contents are
not publically knowable (for example -- filter on arrival as per
the postal code, then double delete in the mail client).

A note on game custom: Alfvaen harfed it as TRUE and I harfed it
as FALSE, based on our independent interpretations.  So how it
was harfed does not appear to set a precedent.  If it comes to 
"spirit of the game", I would argue that allowing official action
statements to refer to content written in extra-nomic media is
a bad idea, thus indicating FALSE in SotG.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:35:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Online Dictionaries

> I downloaded the good old sable .gz dictionary file, and did a
> couple of searches in there.  What I was amazed at was the lack of
> common usage words in there.

Yes, the Unabr.dict.gz file leaves out many root forms of words. For
example, it contains finder, finding, and findable, but not find.
Presumably it was meant to be used by a program that would
automatically derive the root forms.

This was the reason that we added MarlDooM to the Official Dictionary
Union.

> Each time I try to telnet to MarlDooM, it takes ages to get through.
> 
> Is there any chance we could add another dictionary to the online list?  I
> found the Merriam Webster site at http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm
> and it seems to work.

Well, the Official Dictionary was typically meant to be a simple
wordlist, rather than one supplying definitions. (The Fictionary
dictionary probably use the same dictionary as the one you gave.) The
advantage of the existing dictionaries is that they don't require web
access.

If Proposal 2397 passes, I will try to remedy the dictionary situation
to everyone's satisfaction. That's a campaign promise.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:06:12 -0800
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I return from vacation. Or so I'm told.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:20:13 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: INP 352

INP 352 was submitted by Agora.  The Acka hearing lasts
for one week.  Reply to vote.

- -----

Amend 215 by replacing the string "Thring, Pumpkin" with "Thring,
Bluesmobile Nomic, Pumpkin".

[Comment: Recently, Berry Renken sent mail to several email nomics
trying to find nomic life "on other planets". E is involved with
Bluesmobile Nomic and asked me to propose this. I hope e will soon
post here saying a little more about this Nomic.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:25:42 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: SBoC Random OC determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: ThinMan
# I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
# delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
# schedule:
# 1 - go fish
# 2 - map shard
# 3 - untouch me
# 4 - share my expenses
# 5 - share my income
# 6 - swinging sale
# 7 - tactical retreat
# 8 - paratroop
# 9 - foul fowl
# 10 - truthseeker
# 11 - fix my gadget
# 12 - scientist for a day
# 13 - art thief
# 14 - skeleton key

No. of sides on every die:     14
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     10

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Tue Nov 25 20:25:37 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id UAA08531 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:25:37 -0800
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma008528; Tue Nov 25 20:25:35 1997
> Received: from itw.com (4-45.SURFER.TIDALWAVE.COM [208.211.4.45]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with ESMTP id XAA09845 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:25:24 -0500
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:24:59 -0500
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; U)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: sd
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 14
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: SBoC Random OC determination
> 
> #C Player: ThinMan
> #C I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> #C delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
> #C schedule:
> #C 1 - go fish
> #C 2 - map shard
> #C 3 - untouch me
> #C 4 - share my expenses
> #C 5 - share my income
> #C 6 - swinging sale
> #C 7 - tactical retreat
> #C 8 - paratroop
> #C 9 - foul fowl
> #C 10 - truthseeker
> #C 11 - fix my gadget
> #C 12 - scientist for a day
> #C 13 - art thief
> #C 14 - skeleton key

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNHukxT8NitsTFjcVAQHLKQP9Gl4MZVrjDXbMMSCvsQkpPb8MF7aKH89J
ZVQNoB3Su7AcI4ZJ16RddDvy10oYFH8tvZ0EtJdrKQxjdDDFE7uX+0OZ8qLDnBXR
C4ANXwI4bHng5BAvG1GivLlW2v+pl8zYqKo0Xw+wMREXqjZBO22uAGmK0nuOb+HN
O0qQFJahrPI=
=qDwx
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:26:12 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Rex Mundi
# Ackanomicon determination
# based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
# 1 -15: arcane trivia
# 16-20: vile prophecies
# 21-25: inner workings
# 26-30: arcane lore
# 31-33: terrorizing pages
# 34-34: ancient artifact
# 35-36: mutation
# 37-38: dark domain
# 39-39: the secret
# 40-41: long lost treasure
# 42-43: doomsday
# 44-44: forbidden fruit
# 45-45: catastrophe
# 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
# 50-50: ancient one
# Malenkai

No. of sides on every die:     50
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     26

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Tue Nov 25 20:26:07 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id UAA08574 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:26:07 -0800
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma008557; Tue Nov 25 20:25:57 1997
> Received: from itw.com (4-45.SURFER.TIDALWAVE.COM [208.211.4.45]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with ESMTP id XAA09875 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:25:56 -0500
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:25:30 -0500
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; U)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: f
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 50
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Ackanomicon Determination
> 
> #C Player: Rex Mundi
> #C Ackanomicon determination
> #C based on the following (using a 50 sided die):
> #C 1 -15: arcane trivia
> #C 16-20: vile prophecies
> #C 21-25: inner workings
> #C 26-30: arcane lore
> #C 31-33: terrorizing pages
> #C 34-34: ancient artifact
> #C 35-36: mutation
> #C 37-38: dark domain
> #C 39-39: the secret
> #C 40-41: long lost treasure
> #C 42-43: doomsday
> #C 44-44: forbidden fruit
> #C 45-45: catastrophe
> #C 46-49: not so forbidden fruit
> #C 50-50: ancient one
> #C Malenkai

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNHuk5D8NitsTFjcVAQFGqwP/cCv3GkMWzVcUkbXLqvvrLIiPqBS3HFJ6
7YTf4PSMxhBGIycNWubKzDl7gtzej6eVoR+kMBIUSkawmM+7yRVw7cm7Que9LQDg
TlB2KFSQyM2ahLyChhlWcaMv0Oe6tbSnXFlulfwx2eM52OM95kok/4DF2vOR/bk2
VnENj26Wxbo=
=BW39
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:28:23 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Offer

I am giving Malenkai the Parka.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Roy Orbison:Mystery Girl
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
"I mean, you know how stupid I am about plot."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:30:31 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Random OC determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Rex Mundi
# I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
# delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
# schedule:
# 1 - go fish
# 2 - map shard
# 3 - untouch me
# 4 - share my expenses
# 5 - share my income
# 6 - swinging sale
# 7 - tactical retreat
# 8 - paratroop
# 9 - foul fowl
# 10 - truthseeker
# 11 - fix my gadget
# 12 - scientist for a day
# 13 - art thief
# 14 - skeleton key

No. of sides on every die:     14
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      7

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Tue Nov 25 20:30:18 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id UAA08670 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:30:18 -0800
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma008668; Tue Nov 25 20:30:16 1997
> Received: from itw.com (4-45.SURFER.TIDALWAVE.COM [208.211.4.45]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with ESMTP id XAA10078 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:30:14 -0500
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:29:49 -0500
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; U)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: d
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 14
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Random OC determination
> 
> #C Player: Rex Mundi
> #C I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> #C delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
> #C schedule:
> #C 1 - go fish
> #C 2 - map shard
> #C 3 - untouch me
> #C 4 - share my expenses
> #C 5 - share my income
> #C 6 - swinging sale
> #C 7 - tactical retreat
> #C 8 - paratroop
> #C 9 - foul fowl
> #C 10 - truthseeker
> #C 11 - fix my gadget
> #C 12 - scientist for a day
> #C 13 - art thief
> #C 14 - skeleton key

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNHul5j8NitsTFjcVAQGTDgQAlJmdL1kebiHwXGCgNFSVDOzsTw7E/k94
SB2N4GGiFW11xC/CIcygZZEliVPLBlh+IdfOuSNl5QKEyQsNXRortW36Cs3mXgDR
/1AFhv6XlYJM89EbCSGAh4SSUJn6C1XIBiVK1lFJlNzQJK+uMS50NzguG3/wB1El
yypSyIeIj8o=
=EpHQ
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:33:19 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gaoler

E-mail me if you want to be Gaoler.  The nomination lasts 
for 3 days.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:35:23 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador

I am resigning as Ambassador.  I sort of got the job
by default a while back, and now that there are some new
players, perhaps they want a go at it.

In any case, reply if you want to be Ambassador; the nomination
lasts 3 days.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:47:41 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hubert Feathers

I play my otzma 'Map Shard' and name Alfvaen, and identify the
treasure buried with this statement [numbered 169]:

Having buried the Exquisite Dead Guy, and finished the Tagline Attribution
Quiz, I am now burying the Hubert Feathers and the Five Hundred Misplaced 
Ackadollars--just cause I got another treasure map idea. I am revealing 
the following portion of the map: [...]

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #380
*******************************