Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #376
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, November 23 1997       Volume 02 : Number 376

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:16:12 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Album Guessing II

/dev/joe has guessed the Magick Character "1"; I fill it in here below.
Also, for my convenience, I'm numbering the albums for ease of identifying
which one you're guessing.

1. **********:*** *** ****
2. ****** *** *****:******
3. **** ***** ** ******:*****
4. ******* ****:********
5. **********:*** ***** *****
6. ******* *****:****** ** *****
7. **** *******:*** *******
8. **** ****:*** ********
9. *******:* ***** ** *** ****
10. ******* ****:******* ****
11. *** ****** ** *****:*********
12. ** **** *:** **** *
13. *** ********:******* ** ******
14. *** ***********:********** *** ***
15. ******* *******:**** *****
16. **** ****** ****:******** *** ******
17. ** **** *:*** *******
18. ****** ********:****** ****** ****
19. **** ***** ** ******:*******
20. ***** ******:**********
21. ***** *******:**** ** *****
22. ****:***** ***** ********
23. ***:****** ** *** **************
24. **:*** ************* ****
25. ******:****** ****
26. **********:*****
27. **** ****:****** ** ****
28. **********:****** ****
29. **** *****:******
30. ***** *** *****:***** **** *** *** *****
31. ***** *******:*** ** * *****
32. *** ******** *****:*** **** ***
33. *******:************
34. ******* ****:***** *** *** ******
35. ****:**** **** ****
36. ***** ********:******
37. *** *****:******* ****
38. ******* ****:***** ***********
39. ***:********
40. *****:****
41. **** ** ******:**** ** ******
42. ***** *******:***** ******* *
43. **** *******:**** * *** * ***
44. *** ********:*** *** *****
45. ***** ***:****** ***** ********(** ********)
46. *****:**** *** ****
47. *** *******:***** *** ***
48. **-**:**** **
49. *** ******** *****:**** ** ****
50. ********* *****:********** ****
51. ****** **********:****** ****** ****
52. *** ************:***
53. *** *******:*** ** ******
54. *** ***:**** ******
55. *** *******:*** *** ** *******
56. ****** ********:***********
57. ****** ******:*** ****** ****
58. ****** *****:**** * ******
59. **** ****** ****:**'** *** ** *****
60. *** *********:**** ** *** ***
61. ****** *****:****** '*' *******
62. **** *********:*** *** **** ******* **** ******* ****
63. ********** ****:********** ****
64. *** ******* $*******:***********
65. *** ******* ** *********:**** ****
66. **** *******:*** *** ****
67. ****** *****:*** **** *****
68. **** ** ******:******* ****** ********
69. **** *******:**** *******
70. ******* *** *****:* ******** ******
71. *'***:*'***
72. **** ** **** ** ********:**********
73. ***** ******:***** **** *** *******
74. *** **********:**********
75. *****:********
76. **** ****:***** *** ****
77. **** *****:*********
78. **** *******:*** ********* ***
79. ****** ********:****** **********
80. **** *******:******** ** **** 
81. *** *****:*********
82. **********:********* ** *******
83. ***** *** *** **** ****:***** *** **
84. *** ********:**** ** ****
85. **** *********:*****
86. **********:**********
87. ********* ********:***. 1
88. ***** ****:******** ****
89. *******:****
90. ***** ******** *** *** ***********:***** *** *****
91. *-**:********* ****
92. ******** ******:****** **** ********
93. "*****...": *** **** ***** ***** ** ***** ******
94. ***** *******:********
95. ******* *****:******** ** *******
96. ****** ****:**** ****** *********
97. **:****** *** ***
98. ***** ******:**** ***'* *****
99. ***** ****:***** ** *** *****
100. ******** ***:**** ******* ***

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Traveling Wilburys:End of The Line
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
Was there a quorum of able whizzkids gravely exciting the jaded fish at ATypI?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:24:03 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Karma's Vacation

Karma posted eir return-from-vacation message about 36 hours(but two
calendar days)after being put on Vacation by R257.  According to R255,
"a player who has been on vacation less than 2 days may not take
themselves off vacation".

So, firstly, I wonder if the "2 days" means calendar days, or 24-hour
periods.  If the latter, will Karma have to re-attempt to go off vacation
for it to succeed, or will the previous attempt automatically "kick in"
when the 48 hours is up?

I would tend to favour the interpretation that Karma is still on Vacation,
but can now return at any time...  However, the fact that I usually treat
Dates of Return as being calendar days(so one does not become On Ice until
the beginning of the following day)makes me wonder if "2 calendar days"
should be the meaning intended.  Unless there's much controversy over this
one, though, I won't bother doing it as a CFJ.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Silverchair:Abuse Me
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
My cat is fat, so now I'll dine and eat all up this cat of mine...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:38:48 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Album Guessing II

Well, /dev/joe sent in an early entry, for a total of 214 points out of
300.  So now there's a score to beat.  I'll try to come up with some kind
of secondary prizes for those who feel that they can't beat it...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Supertramp:Gone Hollywood
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
I love mnemonics.  I just can't remember any.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:40:28 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Correction

That should be 212 points for /dev/joe, not 214.  My mistake.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Supertramp:Gone Hollywood
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
You were born, and so you're free.  So Happy Birthday.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:57:10 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Karma's Vacation

> So, firstly, I wonder if the "2 days" means calendar days, or 24-hour
> periods. 

IMO, there is an overwhelming body of game custom that indicates
"2 days" should be construed as "48 hours".

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:35:15 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chorg

I am wearing my Shades of Chorg.  I am reading page 7 of my Spell Book
of Chorg, wherein I find an Otzma Card of type Tactical Retreat.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:36:26 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chess piece buying

I am buying a Party Chess Piece Kamikaze, at a cost of 1 + 7x6 = A$43.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Removing AZTEC GOD

AZTEC GOD's email has been bouncing for over a week (apparently due to
having a full mailbox).

Since he is only a week or two short of being On Ice for 60 days,
after having been put on vacation by Rule 257, I am hereby exercising
my Privilege as Postmaster and removing him from the game, as per Rule
370.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 07:59:57 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Karma's Vacation

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Karma posted eir return-from-vacation message about 36 hours(but two
> calendar days)after being put on Vacation by R257.  According to R255,
> "a player who has been on vacation less than 2 days may not take
> themselves off vacation".
> 
> So, firstly, I wonder if the "2 days" means calendar days, or 24-hour
> periods.  If the latter, will Karma have to re-attempt to go off vacation
> for it to succeed, or will the previous attempt automatically "kick in"
> when the 48 hours is up?

I sent malenkai a CFCJ about this which he hasn't published yet.
- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"... and entirely motivated by hormones.  Works for me!" --  Freakazoid!
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/27/Index.html <----- Imperial Nomic 27

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:32:10 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Karma's Vacation

> > So, firstly, I wonder if the "2 days" means calendar days, or 24-hour
> > periods. 

> IMO, there is an overwhelming body of game custom that indicates
> "2 days" should be construed as "48 hours".

That's what I thought.  However, if, at 12:01 AM on January 1st, someone
announce that they were going on a 2-day vacation, I would not consider
em to be On Ice until 12:00 AM January 4th.  But if e announced eir return
at 12:00 AM January 3rd, it would be invalid.  So that "2 days" is "48
hours", but the Expected Date of Return is a calendar day...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Peter Gabriel:Games Without Frontiers
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
"Hi there, my name is Legion, and I'll be your server for this evening."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:53:14 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Amber Banananananana

I currently have Proposals 2379 and 2388 in the queue.
I would like to purchase an Amber Banana from Alfvaen for each of these
Proposals.  This will cost me A$20.

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer - aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother - Now Really Lost!
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
"... and entirely motivated by hormones.  Works for me!" --  Freakazoid!
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/27/Index.html <----- Imperial Nomic 27

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 02:00:25 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Amber Banananananana

> I currently have Proposals 2379 and 2388 in the queue.
> I would like to purchase an Amber Banana from Alfvaen for each of these
> Proposals.  This will cost me A$20.

Gee, it's nice to sell them to somebody other than myself...there ya
go.  Eat 'em in good health.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Peter Gabriel:Shaking The Tree
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
May Jo equal the fine record by solving six puzzles a week?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 97 12:31:57 -0600
From: Tom Warmbrodt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player

>
>We have another new player here in Ackanomic.  His name is Tom Warmbrodt,
>his email is [email-masked], and he wishes to have the
>Ackanomic name Michael Wren.  And he actually read the relevant rules to
>submit to me all the information I needed.  Except perhaps the market
>research question(sorry, I forgot this one, Tom/Michael--how did you find
>out about Ackanomic?).

The web page / word-of-mouth.

- -Michael Wren

aka

- -Tom Warmbrodt // [email-masked]

"I am nostalgic for nothing. I am the pawn, I am the king." -J Church

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 13:38:28 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Misc: Phoebe

At the time, I had thought it a good idea to expand Tamson House, but now I
had to admit, frankly, that I was lost.  The House's location on two
noncontiguous kaas of land seemed to have disrupted something internal to
the house's non-Euclidean structure.  Maybe I should rename it the Den of
Ubiquity, as I'd originally planned to call it before finding out about
Bascule's Den of Iniquity...

Going through the hallways was getting me nowhere.  I decided to try
cutting through a room instead, and went through the next door I
encountered.

On the other side was a huge chamber with glass skylights tinted in subtle
shades of red and blue.  It was furnished sparsely, especially for a room of
such size, with a few padded benches along the sides, and a small table and
a stool in the middle of the room.  There was a small object of some kind
on the table; I moved up for a closer look.  I quickly ascertained that it
was Phoebe's red and blue matchbox.

After waiting a few seconds in case Phoebe herself wanted to emerge, I
eventually picked up the matchbox and gingerly slid it open.  "Who's that?"
said a small and sleepy-sounding voice.  "Oh, Alfvaen.  'Bout time.  Just
thought I'd have a little snooze.  Interesting place you got here."

"Thanks," I said.  "Didn't mean to wake you.  Or keep you waiting long
enough that you'd go to sleep.  But this house...it's gotten all strange
recently."

"Of course," Phoebe yawned.  "Just because it wasn't prohibited by the
Rules to put it on noncontiguous land doesn't mean that there wasn't a
reason not to do it.  I don't think anyone else had consciously realized
it, of course, or maybe it would be in the Rules, but why do you think that
it took you so long to get around to doing it?  I mean, I got so lost on my
way here I ended up back in the Revolving Shed."

"Well, I couldn't afford it before, but with my multiple salaries..."

She waved a tiny leg in dismissal.  "Excuses."

Slightly nettled, I thought of something I had wanted to ask her.  "So I
hear that Slakko had a conversation with your sister Ursula."

Phoebe froze, and I instantly regretted having said it.  "Oh.  Well.  I
suppose it was only a matter of time before you met her, the *****."

I wasn't sure I wanted to know what word lurked behind the asterisks.
"Do--uh--I take it you two don't get along."

Phoebe sighed.  "It's a long story.  She's always envied me for having a
home that I can actually carry around, but let's face it, she wouldn't know
what to do with herself if she had the freedom I do.  She can *ping* with
the best of them, and in her own limited field, the Machine, she knows
quite a bit, but I wouldn't go expecting her to dispense wisdom in any
other field, if you know what I mean.  Think of her as an idiot savant."

I wasn't sure if I could trust Phoebe's objectivity on the subject, so I
decided to switch to something else.  "It's getting close to the end of my
second term as President," I said.

"I suppose it is."

"I'm wondering if I should run again, or not.  I mean, two terms already...
maybe it's time for some new blood."

"Are you not enjoying the job?"

"Well, now that we've got the Orange Menace thing cleared up a bit, it's
okay...  I haven't had to do too much, give a few speeches, choose a
Chess-Umpire--and I think Slakko is doing quite well, actually--nothing
really major.  I'd be happy to continue on, I guess...I suppose I should
just run, and leave it up to the voters."

"Anything else?"

"Hmmm.  Well, there's been a lot of talk about you recently--whether you
should get a vacation, or just get--uh--nuked."

Phoebe shrugged her tiny shoulders.  "You _do_ have a large and complex
ruleset.  I can appreciate Malenkai getting tired of going through a lot of
effort that nobody does anything with, but somebody's gotta say it."  She
looked at me narrowly.  "I know you've been thinking of trimming the
ruleset yourself, recently."

"Uh...yeah.  I mean, I can't let Malenkai take all the heat, can I?"

"Anyway, my nanotech body can withstand a little nuking, and a holiday
might be okay.  Sometimes I get tired of you guys too, you know?"

I smiled.  "I can understand that.  Another thing I confess I'm getting
tired of is the current cycle.  Nobody seems to be getting very close to
a point win, partly because of the Tornados; we're getting too good at
getting the Paradoxes out of the Rules; the Vault of the Chalice is gone;
Hidden Agendas never got off the ground(though maybe two-star should
try it out again); and let's face it, palindromes are damn hard to come
up with.  Oh, and the Frankenstein Monster one probably won't work again,
now that Malenkai's used it and the loopholes have been closed off.
That's why I suggested the vote thing."

"Not to mention that you thought they might vote for you."

"Well...yeah.  I think Hidden Agendas is a good idea, if we can hash it
out.  I think two-star's solution may be a bit complex, still, but
something like that might work."

Phoebe thought for a moment, then said, "What about a decathlon?"

I blinked.  "Excuse me?"

"Well, a while back, when you were in Chaos's Cabinet--wasn't it cramped in
there?  Sorry--the idea of bringing back the Starpoints idea came up.
Something where a new player could get their starting money, and a few
other bonuses, by participating in the game--submitting Proposals, judging
CFJ's, joining games, etc.  Maybe we need a sort of Non-hidden Agenda,
where a player can get certain Tokens by, say, winning a Subgame, getting a
certain number of Proposals, judging CFJ's(without getting overturned),
etc., and if you get all the Tokens you win the Cycle."

I mulled this over.  "An interesting thought.  Might need some work, but
maybe someone else will be able to suggest something when I mention it."

"Just a spur-of-the-moment thing.  Glad to help.  Oh, and I think it's time
for another treasure clue."

I sighed.  "Well, I suppose.  I might as well start with the hardest one...
If someone were to dig back through the mail archives for the
beginning-of-the-month Prayers For Deliverance, and my 'spoken-in-tongues'
bits...  Azpiazu is the key, of course, but the trick is finding the
cipher.  And then the key for the treasure is not so obvious, but it's
right there in front of your face.  Once you find the cipher, you'll
realize that it's at the other end."

Phoebe waited patiently for my babbling to stop.  "Are you through now?  Do
you think anyone will understand that?"

"I don't know.  I want somebody to find it, but I don't want it to be too
easy...  The clues I had in the BWG articles and stuff were a bit indirect,
but they're still there...  But then, nobody's found the Curious Clock yet,
have they?"

"I suppose not.  Well, I must be off.  I would like to get back to my nap,
you know."  With that, she climbed back into her matchbox.  She must have
triggered some hidden catch, because the instant it closed up, it sprang
into the air, through a tiny hole in the skylights, and was gone.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Lone Justice:Shelter
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
Suddenly, she died of old age.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:39:15 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : That Patch/MetaMorph CFJ

Sorry for not replying with a proper subject, have delted the bulk of
recent acka mail and am on a terminal now. But to reply to ThinMan's
reply.

There were two points.
One point was the Patch's ability to consent  - my previous argument
stands.
The other was ThinMan's clarifying his objection due to method - ThinMan,
I see your point now, but I still disagree, or rather, I disagree with
that point as well. It is my opinion that the language in that rule is
sufficient to enable a non-human entity which is able topublically express
its consent to become a member of an Organization which posseses a More
Than Human. The whole being/becoming distinction is an artificial
construct, and I see no more support for it in the rules than for my own
position.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:07:02 -0000
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: The Rex Times, vol. 20, no. 16

Correction

In the previous issue of The Rex Times (vol. 7, no. 20) we stated that vol.
24, no. 4 was available as a back issue. This should, of course, have read
vol. 25, no. 4.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

The correct list of back issues now available is:
vol. 5, no. 6
vol. 3, no. 5
vol. 14, no. 22
vol. 18, no. 8
vol. 25, no. 4
vol. 10, no. 5
vol. 7, no. 20
vol. 20, no. 16

Rex Mundi, Editor.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:07:55 -0500
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka karma's vacation

> > So, firstly, I wonder if the "2 days" means calendar days, or 24-hour
> > periods. 

> IMO, there is an overwhelming body of game custom that indicates
> "2 days" should be construed as "48 hours".

That's what I thought.  However, if, at 12:01 AM on January 1st, someone
announce that they were going on a 2-day vacation, I would not consider
em to be On Ice until 12:00 AM January 4th.  But if e announced eir return
at 12:00 AM January 3rd, it would be invalid.  So that "2 days" is "48
hours", but the Expected Date of Return is a calendar day...

Karma sez':  i thought i had it timed right, i'll attempt to return from
vacation now , assuming my previous attempt failed, making a total of 4
days which i think is sufficent for a vacation, (be nice in real life
too:)) , also for undisclosed reasons i am temporarily changing my status
from voting to non voting 
- - karma

also i was already subscribed to acka chess, why have i been resubscribed,
or if i ever was unsubscribed, along the time i sarted, why was i
unsubscribed, after the fact that i was subscribed??

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 19:11:40 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: re acka karma's vacation

> Karma sez':  i thought i had it timed right, i'll attempt to return from
> vacation now , assuming my previous attempt failed, making a total of 4
> days which i think is sufficent for a vacation, (be nice in real life
> too:)) , also for undisclosed reasons i am temporarily changing my status
> from voting to non voting 

Noted.

> also i was already subscribed to acka chess, why have i been resubscribed,
> or if i ever was unsubscribed, along the time i sarted, why was i
> unsubscribed, after the fact that i was subscribed??

Unless it was under some other email address...<[email-masked]> was not
subscribed to acka-chess.  I know how you feel--_I_ thought I was on the
list myself, until Slakko pointed out last round that it was my turn...
I think all the Swingers, at least, should be on acka-chess now.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Eurythmics:Touch
Current Book--Candas Jane Dorsey:Black Wine
Quoth the Raven, 'Eat my Shorts!'

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:52:15 -0500
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka mals rfc

(lots of other of mals razor sharp observations snipped)

Secondly, anyone for blowing away Tammany, or increasing the minimum
to 100?  The amount is so trivial, if I wasn't too lazy to type in the
command, I would have an undeserved extra vote every time.  As it stands
now, it is working out that proposal authors are getting an extra vote
for free.  RFC?

Malenkai

Karma sez' i have to concurr wholeheartedly with this observation , i mean
bonus votes should be made in a more harfy manner, eg the evil ballot
stuffer , though i've never seen this used , but the idea of corruption and
bribe is cool, so i think raising the ante , if for anything , acka
government shouldn't be so tacky, oh, tacky as to be swayed by 5A($) (even
red barn can afford a bribe , hee)

a minimum of 100A($) would indeed add a touch of class to our corrupt
system.
hear, hear
- -Karma

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:53:50 -0500
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fw: re acka mals rfc

- ----------
> From: Michael James <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: re acka mals rfc
> Date: Sunday, November 23, 1997 11:52 PM
> 
> (lots of other of mals razor sharp observations snipped)
> 
> Secondly, anyone for blowing away Tammany, or increasing the minimum
> to 100?  The amount is so trivial, if I wasn't too lazy to type in the
> command, I would have an undeserved extra vote every time.  As it stands
> now, it is working out that proposal authors are getting an extra vote
> for free.  RFC?
> 
> Malenkai
> 
> Karma sez' i have to concurr wholeheartedly with this observation , i
mean
> bonus votes should be made in a more harfy manner, eg the evil ballot
> stuffer , though i've never seen this used , but the idea of corruption
and
> bribe is cool, so i think raising the ante , if for anything , acka
> government shouldn't be so tacky, oh, tacky as to be swayed by 5A($)
(even
> red barn can afford a bribe , hee)
> 
> a minimum of 100A($) would indeed add a touch of class to our corrupt
> system.
> hear, hear
> -Karma

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #376
*******************************