Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #353
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Saturday, November 1 1997      Volume 02 : Number 353

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 11:56:49 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2341 rejected

Could people please let me know why they voted against this one?

After the RFC there were some objections raised. I left the objectionable
material out, took the time to point it out in a commment before the
proposal. 
Anyone?

Niccolo Flychuck

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Results of Proposal 2341
> 
> 9/16 votes: Quorum achieved
> 4/9 YES votes: Proposal rejected
> 
>   YES:
> Alfvaen             (MetaMorph)
> Niccolo Flychuck    (MetaMorph)
> Tammany                                 [Niccolo Flychuck bribed Tammany A$25]
> Bonus Vote                              [Niccolo Flychuck used a Bonus Vote]
> 
>   NO:
> ThinMan             (Vulcan)
> Rex Mundi
> Malenkai            (Vulcan)
> Fortunato
> Balsamic Dragon
> 
>   PRESENT:
> mr cwm              (Munchkin Haven)
> /dev/joe           (Vulcan)
> 
>   ABSTAINED:
> breadbox
> Vynd                (Vulcan)
> Karma               (Harf)
> Red Barn
> Archie Leach
> Calvin N Hobbes     (Harf)
> two-star            (MetaMorph)
> 
>   VACATIONING:
> norpan
> 
>   PENDING:
> SonOfWu
> Darth Vader
> Slakko

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 10:45:49 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2341 rejected

> Could people please let me know why they voted against this one?
> 
> After the RFC there were some objections raised. I left the objectionable
> material out, took the time to point it out in a commment before the
> proposal.
> Anyone?

I posted my objections after the proposal was distributed.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:12:43 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: More Fun and Games

Proposal: More Fun and Games
Append the following double double quote delimited section to Rule 317:

""When a proposal is first Guarded, its Guard Value is set to 150.  Any
Guarded or Ex-Guarded proposal in the Voting Queue may have its status
switched (to Ex-Guarded or Guarded as appropriate) for a fee equal to
double the proposal's current Guard Value.  The act of switching doubles
the Guard Value an infinitesimal amount of time after the switch.
Ex-Guarded proposals act exactly like proposals which have never been
Guarded.""

Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 19:16:34 -0000
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: The Rex Times, volume 3, number 5

So far, no one has found the Flora Amanita. Malenkai was the first to
attempt to find it after the first clue had been published, but a string of
asterisks was not the correct solution. Neither does the subject need to be
in ""'s.

Special mentions to **two-star, who identified the Flora Amanita as being
from REM's "The Flowers of Guatemala", from Lifes Rich Pageant, and to
Balsamic Dragon, who informed us that "The actual Amanita is, of course, a
hallucinogenic and poisonous mushroom, not a flower". The sum total of The
Rex Times' knowledge on this matter is "Flora amanita: indigenous to
meso-amer. Flora", from the sleeve of the LRP CD.

Rex Mundi, Editor.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:23:00 EST
From: Missmegm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm, Scholar of *ping*

Today is Saturday, the 1st of November, and the Machine that Goes *ping* Has
Gone *ping*.  Since I have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 3 times.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 15:01:03 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: INP 350

Here is INP 350, submitted by Agora.  A hearing is now called;
voting ends in one week -- send votes to me.

Note that the apparent duplication error by the Agoran 
Liaison is being passed through.

- ---
Let the following rule be created:

     Any nomic that objects to the actions of a player in Internomic may 
     make a formal protest by sending a message to the moderator 
     detailing the objectionable act the nomic is protesting.  The 
     moderator must then make the protest known to all players of 
     Internomic.  Voting players of Internomic may second the protest by 
     sending a message to the moderator stating that they agree the act 
     is objectionable.  If, within five days of the protest being made 
     known, at least one voting player of Internomic (other than the 
     nomic making the formal protest) seconds the formal protest, the 
     moderator shall call a vote on sanctions.  No formal protests shall
     be permitted while a vote on shanctions is taking place.

     Immediatly after the moderator calls for a vote on sanctions, the 
     moderator shall collect votes form all voting members for a period 
     of two weeks.  Immediately after this period, e shall make known 
     the results, which shall be as follows;

       i) If 25% or less of voting members voted FOR sanctions;
          If the protesting nomic is a player, it shall lose 10 points.
          The protesting nomic shall be forbidden from making any formal 
          protests for a period of two months after the vote's 
          conclusion.
          Any nomic that seconded the protest shall loose 5 points.

      ii) If more than 25% and less than 50% of voting members voted FOR
          sanctions;
          If the protesting nomic is a player, it shall lose 7 points.
          The protesting nomic shall be forbidden from making any formal 
          protests for a period of one month after the vote's 
          conclusion.
          Any nomic that seconded the protest shall loose 3 points.

     iii) If 50% or more of the voting members voted FOR sanctions;
          The player being protested shall lose 10 points.
          The player being protested shall lose an additional 10 points 
          if all other voting members voted FOR sanctions.

Let the following rule be created:

     Any nomic that objects to the actions of a player in Internomic may 
     make a formal protest by sending a message to the moderator 
     detailing the objectionable act the nomic is protesting.  The 
     moderator must then make the protest known to all players of 
     Internomic.  Voting players of Internomic may second the protest by 
     sending a message to the moderator stating that they agree the act 
     is objectionable.  If, within five days of the protest being made 
     known, at least one voting player of Internomic (other than the 
     nomic making the formal protest) seconds the formal protest, the 
     moderator shall call a vote on sanctions.  No formal protests shall
     be permitted while a vote on shanctions is taking place.

     Immediatly after the moderator calls for a vote on sanctions, the 
     moderator shall collect votes form all voting members for a period 
     of two weeks.  Immediately after this period, e shall make known 
     the results, which shall be as follows;

       i) If 25% or less of voting members voted FOR sanctions;
          If the protesting nomic is a player, it shall lose 10 points.
          The protesting nomic shall be forbidden from making any formal 
          protests for a period of two months after the vote's 
          conclusion.
          Any nomic that seconded the protest shall loose 5 points.

      ii) If more than 25% and less than 50% of voting members voted FOR
          sanctions;
          If the protesting nomic is a player, it shall lose 7 points.
          The protesting nomic shall be forbidden from making any formal 
          protests for a period of one month after the vote's 
          conclusion.
          Any nomic that seconded the protest shall loose 3 points.

     iii) If 50% or more of the voting members voted FOR sanctions;
          The player being protested shall lose 10 points.
          The player being protested shall lose an additional 10 points 
          if all other voting members voted FOR sanctions.

- ---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 15:13:24 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: INP 349 voting

Acka has voted to vote in favor of INP 349 by a 3-2
vote.

Note that Voting Gnome's vote against was not registered due
to his non-voting status.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:30:18 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Auction them Entities

I am calling an Auction them Entities Hearing for one of the 100 BPWaynes
that are cruelly and unfairly languishing in the Treasury.  Mainly just to
illustrate that it could take a long time to empty the Treasury this way,
and be a pain for the Count Tabula.  But it's a start.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Crash Vegas:Stone
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic particles.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:43:24 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Speech

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was up on this podium making a similar
speech, for another unanimously-passing Proposal.  This may be the sign of
an interesting trend.  A unanimous Proposal means that nobody decided that
getting a few points from Anti-voting was worth the risk of the Proposal
not passing, or something like that.  This Proposal addressed the problem
that several Ackanomians, myself among them, had noted already--the
clogging of the previously clean Treasury with entities owned by
Organizations that had ceased to exist(mostly Churches that had become
Cults).  It may not have been the best solution to the problem, but it is a
start.

In commemoration of this historic occasion, I am(once again)raising Red
Barn's score by two points.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Crash Vegas:Stone
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
A penny for your thoughts; $20 to act it out.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:47:06 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Ice

norpan went on Vacation sometime in September, announcing that he would be
back "in October".  I was unsure how to interpret this as a hard-and-fast
"Estimated Date of Return", but eventually, I decided that setting the EDR
to October 31st would work(something I'm attempting to codify in the rules
with "That Was The Month That Was").

In any event, he is now definitely On Ice.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Bruce Cockburn:Tropic Moon
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
Prufrock's Aphasia: the inability to speak for fear of being misinterpreted.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:49:04 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Map

I am offering the Map of Jara to /dev/joe, in return for future
considerations.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Bruce Cockburn:Tropic Moon
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
There's no accounting for The Dead.  --josh hayes

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:56:00 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Nomination

(Oh, yeah, forgot that this was a Functional office, I was waiting for
Malenkai to do this...:-)

Since Slakko has requested it, I am announcing the beginning of a
nomination for the position of Chess-Umpire.  Email me(by replying to this
message)if you would like to be considered.  Anyone who has already
volunteered will have to do so again.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sinead O'Connor:The Lion And The Cobra
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
By the time I have money to burn, my fire will be out.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:01:35 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Map

> I am offering the Map of Jara to /dev/joe, in return for future
> considerations.

I accept this offer.  I hope that my quest for more treasures goes well.

I am reading the Map of Jara while holding the Jade Key.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 17:59:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Map

> I am offering the Map of Jara to /dev/joe, in return for future
> considerations.

I am creating a trinket called "future considerations" :-)

Sorry, only kidding

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 18:12:41 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Map

> I accept this offer.  I hope that my quest for more treasures goes well.
> 
> I am reading the Map of Jara while holding the Jade Key.

/dev/joe has found treasure 107 with all the stuff in it.
The map was:

- ---
Any player who possesses the Jade Key of Yara and The Map of Jara,
and is either Enlightened or has (or has had) published in any
Acka newspaper the words "The earth is round" (capitalization not
important) shall find the Treasure of Jara (T 107).
- ---

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:43:55 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Map

> > I accept this offer.  I hope that my quest for more treasures goes well.
> > 
> > I am reading the Map of Jara while holding the Jade Key.
> 
> /dev/joe has found treasure 107 with all the stuff in it.

I am giving the Map of Jara, the Onyx Vase, and the Fine Wooden Chest
to Alfvaen.  If you can come up with some Right-handed Grapefruit Juice...

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 18:23:48 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Map

> > > I accept this offer.  I hope that my quest for more treasures goes well.

> > > I am reading the Map of Jara while holding the Jade Key.

> > /dev/joe has found treasure 107 with all the stuff in it.

All right!  High five!

> I am giving the Map of Jara, the Onyx Vase, and the Fine Wooden Chest
> to Alfvaen.

Thank you.

> If you can come up with some Right-handed Grapefruit Juice...

Hmmm.  Mr. Lunatic Fringe had some...  So either we need to get that, get
Malenkai to make some more, or win the Cycle.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Richard & Linda Thompson:Shoot Out The Lights
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
Bounce, went the bunnies.  Bounce bounce bounce.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 18:34:28 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Donation

After spending some time admiring my new treasures, I decide that I
shouldn't be selfish.  I am going to the Museum, and donating the Fine
Wooden Chest and the Map of Jara.  I'll keep the Onyx Vase around for later
frinking purposes.

While I'm at it, I'll clear out some of the other detritus:  I am
converting the "one big head", the remaining "Military Lasers", and "Little
Wooden Ship #11" for money.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Richard & Linda Thompson:Shoot Out The Lights
Current Book--Wild Cards XII:Turn of The Cards
Things are gradually falling into place on top of me.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #353
*******************************