Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #351
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Thursday, October 30 1997      Volume 02 : Number 351

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:13:34 -0800
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The HTML Standard - Special end-of-month-panic edition

As Acka's longest running newspaper we have brought you &z3/4;, the 
Curious Clock treasure, and the abortive Agenda Hat Playtest. Now we 
would like to share a brief message from our editor, who seems to think 
that maybe he made the Curious Clock treasure a little too hard.

OK. I THINK MAYBE I MADE THE CURIOUS CLOCK TREASURE A LITTLE TOO HARD

Acka, October 29,1997

OK. First of all, the description of the curious clock is important. 
OK. That's not really first of all.  First of all, you do know what you 
have to do, right? Fill in the ink blots and then reconstruct the 
tromino go game. Only problem is, it can't be done, none of it, unless 
you can see the patterns within. Or be willing to go through a little 
trial and error first. The "patterns within" bit, that's where the 
description of the curious clock comes in. Twice. You need to use it 
once to find the question, and once to find the answer. I've given away 
a good portion of the question a couple times already, (only it isn't 
really a question; I'm being metaphorical,) so I won't do it again. OK. 
Do be careful not to throw away the answer when you find the 
question/not a question. Don't be discouraged, thinking that there is 
some weird Caesar cipher or something. Every letter is what it is. It's 
just the order that's kinda tricky. Um. Some of this isn't entirely 
accurate.

OK. Once you have finished all steps but the last, 
Remember, the encryption was made by the confused sad VAX. (5, 4)

The HTML Standard
**two-star, editor

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 06:59:05 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: My apologies

Sorry for bringing up an old idea - seems I was only reading the main
ruleset.  I'll have to download the supplementaries as well.

Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:19:38 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [RFC] New Proposal Idea

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> > 
> > Proposal 23XX: Workin' on the Razor Gang
> > 
> > Create a new Rule, having number being the least integer greater than 401
> > which is currently not in use as a Rule Number, and having Title
> > "Budget Cuts", with the following text delimeted by double double quotes:
> 
> > 
> > Each Week each member of The Razor Gang submits to the Speaker a Rule
> > which they wish to have stricken from the ruleset.  The Speaker selects
> > randomly from all such submissions (including eir own) one rule.  A Strike
> > Vote is held, with a deadline of 7 days after the Speaker's general
> > announcement of the submission selected.  Legitimate Votes on the Strike
> > Vote are STRIKE, HOLD, and CARE LESS.  The rule is deleted from the
> > ruleset unless quorum is achieved and more than 2/3rds of all votes
> > received are HOLD votes.  All entities eligible to vote on proposals are
> > eligible to vote on a Strike Vote.

If it required 3/5, same as a regular proposal, I might have been inclined
to support this.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:11:21 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [RFC] New Proposal Idea

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:

> If it required 3/5, same as a regular proposal, I might have been inclined
> to support this.
> 
Not a major problem.  I can always reword this, after all I'm just a
newbie trying to work out the "feeling" around here.

Slakko
- --
Play Imperial Nomic 27 -- http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/nomic/27/Index.html
- --
Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:19:36 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Yet another RFC

I'm sorry if I'm taking up too much of your time, but I've really got to
try to understand what makes the game tick.  Finding out what you all
think of my new proposal ideas should help that.

Proposal 23aa: Hey! Where's my house?

Create a new rule, entitled "Hey, where's my house?" as delimited by
double double quotes:

""Any player who believes that the Map-Harfer is being too slow in
updating the map may call a Hearing, provided the Null Map is not in use.
Such a Hearing, called a UBD Hearing, shall not be called by any single
player more than once per 14 Acka days.
The valid responses for the Hearing are: "I've seen glaciers change faster
than the map" and "Even Rand McNally couldn't keep up with the changes".
If the former response is the result, then the Map-Harfer shall resign
from their post within 7 days, handing control of the post over to the
player who called the Hearing.  They shall be known as the Map-Harfer
(Snide), and may not use the Null Map for their term of office.  The
original Map-Harfer must bring the existing map up to date before
resigning.  Failure to do this means that they must pay A$50 to the new
Map-Harfer (Snide), and also lose 3 points.
If the latter response is given, the player who called the Hearing pays
A$50 to the Map-Harfer and loses 3 points.""

Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:35:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

Archie Leach has found Phoebe.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:46:15 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm, Scholar of *ping*

Well, it's started.

Today is Thursday, the 30th day of October, and the Machine That Goes
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been Scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 1 times.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:06:15 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Expedition Log 10/30/97

Far above Ackanomic, clouds form and reform.  A small, bright shape hovers
for a moment and then spirals down, landing on the top of the great
Monolith to rest.  Curious, he pecks it a few times with his beak, not
remembering this particular building.  As he cleans his red and blue
feathers, a small name tag is revealed, glinting in the morning sunlight:

My name is Danforth.  If found, please feed and return to Balsamic Dragon.

The parrot then flies down and lands on the front steps of the museum. 
Anyone who wishes to go to the museum, can retreive his message, the
contents of which are revealed below:

Expedition Log 10/30/97

I sit on the edge of a great cliff overlooking a canyon where we have
decided to rest for a while before continuing our journey.  The first few
days of our travel were relatively uneventful as we slogged through the
Wastes of Ackanomic.  Acka, like a jewel lost in the sands of the desert,
has slowly dwindled behind us, until we could no longer see it at all.  We
have found several strange stone structures half-buried by the sands, which
may be the ruins of some ancient civilization!  In poking around, I also
found half a ham sandwich, probably not left there by the ancients but by
the Archeologist on his last dig.  Finally, after many long days of
grueling travel we have emerged onto wide, grass-covered plain.  Many
prairie dogs make their homes here, and their squeaks and barks can be
heard in the night as we sit around our small fire.  As I write these words
in my journal, a particularly brave prairie dog seems to be approaching! 
In his paw, I think he is holding a tiny spear?  I toss him a piece of food
and he moves closer, sniffing.  Ignoring the food, he makes a beckoning
gesture, and moves out into the night.  I leave my book and pen on the rock
where I have been sitting, after writing these last few words.  Making my
way carefully, I go now to investigate where this odd creature is
disappearing to.  Hopefully, my companions will find this and continue the
journal until I have solved this mystery.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:41:16 -0000
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: buried treasure

#transfer RexBank, Rex Mundi: 50 A$

I am creating a trinket, value 50 A$, entitled Flora Amanita, with the
following description, delimited by @@@

@@@
This is a beautiful, multicolored flower, with a wonderful fragrance. It
often blooms at night.
@@@

I am burying the Flora Amanita as treasure, and disclosing the following,
which may have something to do with the treasure map:
The first player to post the string *** ****** ***** ******** in a message
with the subject "acka: Flora Amanita" will find the Flora Amanita.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:24:16 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Flora Amanita

  The Amanita Flora blooming

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Change Nomic!   http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~chatham/nomicfaq.html
Turn on, or I'll boot you downstairs!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:07:38 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Flora Amanita

Probably not the answer, but appropriate nonetheless. 

"A Poison Tree"
Blake

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretchd beneath the tree.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:26:30 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Some Interesting Actions

This message is actually a composite of a number of messages, separated by
long rows of hyphens.  Each message happens two infinitesimal amounts
of time after the one preceding it (if that is possible) :-)

Message 1:
I hereby announce the creation of a new Organization, the Society for the
Prevention of Ackanomic Misdemeanours, which may also be referred to by 
the acronym SPAM.  The aim of this society is to be "tough on crime, tee
hee".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 2:
I, Slakko, hereby transfer A$350 to the Organization SPAM, to enable it to
carry out its duties.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3:
I, Slakko, hereby suggest that the Organization SPAM should purchase a
Party Tent, so that it may become a Political Party and use its influence
to be "tough on crime, tee hee".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4:
I, Slakko, hereby accept the suggestion of Slakko that SPAM should
purchase a Party Tent.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5:
I, Slakko, as the only current member of the Political Party SPAM, suggest
and accept that the method for selection as Party Swinger shall be random
choice amongst all members of the party whenever the position of Party
Swinger is vacant.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6:
As the only member of SPAM, I suggest and accept that SPAM shall have an
open admission policy.

Yours,
Slakko the Excessive Message Maker who yet somehow does not fall victim to
snowgod's Disease.

- --
Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:34:24 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Nomination Suggestion

I notice that the office of Chess-Umpire is vacant.  I hereby ask for
nominations to be opened for the position of Chess-Umpire, and for the
relevant officer to begin taking nominations.

I hereby nominate myself (if that is possible) for the position of
Chess-Umpire.

Also, as the newest Swinger, I am required to keep track of Swingpoints.
Who currently has the list of Swingpoints?

Yours in bewilderment,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:26:32 -0800
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Yet another RFC

Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> I'm sorry if I'm taking up too much of your time, but I've really got to

Don't worry about it. back in another era, this list was generating 80+
messages a day. It could happen again.

> try to understand what makes the game tick.  Finding out what you all
> think of my new proposal ideas should help that.
> 
> Proposal 23aa: Hey! Where's my house?
> 
> Create a new rule, entitled "Hey, where's my house?" as delimited by
> double double quotes:
> 
> ""Any player who believes that the Map-Harfer is being too slow in
> updating the map may call a Hearing, provided the Null Map is not in use.

Yeah, yeah. I've been terribly delinquent, but I may still get around to
it. However the option of impeaching me still exists, so your rfc may be
redundant.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:44:34 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Yet another RFC

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:

> I'm sorry if I'm taking up too much of your time, but I've really got to
> try to understand what makes the game tick.  Finding out what you all
> think of my new proposal ideas should help that.
> 

By all means, take up our time.  Things have been too slow lately,
frankly.  me, I blame the Orange Menace.  People are afraid to leave their
homes, the President included.

> Proposal 23aa: Hey! Where's my house?
> 
> Create a new rule, entitled "Hey, where's my house?" as delimited by
> double double quotes:
> 
> ""Any player who believes that the Map-Harfer is being too slow in
> updating the map may call a Hearing, provided the Null Map is not in use.
> Such a Hearing, called a UBD Hearing, shall not be called by any single
> player more than once per 14 Acka days.
> The valid responses for the Hearing are: "I've seen glaciers change faster
> than the map" and "Even Rand McNally couldn't keep up with the changes".
> If the former response is the result, then the Map-Harfer shall resign
> from their post within 7 days, handing control of the post over to the
> player who called the Hearing.  They shall be known as the Map-Harfer
> (Snide), and may not use the Null Map for their term of office.  The
> original Map-Harfer must bring the existing map up to date before
> resigning.  Failure to do this means that they must pay A$50 to the new
> Map-Harfer (Snide), and also lose 3 points.
> If the latter response is given, the player who called the Hearing pays
> A$50 to the Map-Harfer and loses 3 points.""
> 
> Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
> Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
> "Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
> CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

Heh, I don't know if we really need something like this, but that doesn't
mean I wouldn't vote for it.

                            - Senator Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:42:15 -0000
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Rex Times, volume 5, no. 6

This month in Acka:

Balsamic Dragon's expedition to the Pumpkin Patch finally got underway.
Despite claims that he was afraid to leave his home, the President is
accompanying us.
The first report on our journey was made by Balsamic Dragon, last seen
following a prairie dog into the Wilds.

In other news, I buried a treasure, but failed to receive the message I
sent saying I had done so. Apparently other people did, though, since they
tried to find it.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:37:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: "acka: Flora Amanita"

*** ****** ***** ********

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:32:59 -0500
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka chessump

I hereby nominate myself (if that is possible) for the position of
Chess-Umpire.

you might have to fight for this riding.

- - Karma

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #351
*******************************