Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #342
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Tuesday, October 21 1997       Volume 02 : Number 342

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:55:04 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: re acka swing pnts.

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > > When I had distributed the 50 swing points Ben was still a player in
> > > Ackanomic, what happens to his ten points?
> 
> > I think they remain owned by his Undead. btw- where does it say who has
> > hom many SwingPoints.
> 
> I always presumed that was onthe Chess-Umpire's page.  :-)  But I guess

They used to be. But there is no Chess-Umpire now.

> there are some Swingpoints owned by Undead on the Undead page, so maybe I
> should be keeping track of them as financier.
> 
> So...who all were the Swingers when Karma distributed them?  (And didn't
> the Proposalsay that they would be distributed randomly among all
> active players, not evenly among the Swingers?)

Yes, it said among all players.
Niccolo Flychuck

> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:00:23 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka  swing points

It was proposal 2296, and after having destroyed all SwingPoints it
created 40 (not 50 as I said before, and as you seem to have distributed
here) and randomaly distributed them among all players.

Niccolo Flychuck

 On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Michael James wrote:

> These are the current swingers for Party Chess, and I am quite certain
> that Niccolo stipulated that they were to be distributed soley (That looks
> like its spelled wrong) among the swingers. Which I think makes good sense
> too.
> 
> Karma HARF     10 Swing points
> Red Barn NAP    10 Swing points
> Niccolo Flychuck Tarzan's Tree House    10 Swing points
> /dev/joe Vulcan    10 Swing points
> 
> 
> Ben The Office of Ben    10 Swing points  (No longer a player of Acka or
> party chess)
> 
> - - Karma
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:01:12 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka  swing points

Sorry, make that all Active playaers/

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> It was proposal 2296, and after having destroyed all SwingPoints it
> created 40 (not 50 as I said before, and as you seem to have distributed
> here) and randomaly distributed them among all players.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> 
> On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Michael James wrote:
> 
> > These are the current swingers for Party Chess, and I am quite certain
> > that Niccolo stipulated that they were to be distributed soley (That looks
> > like its spelled wrong) among the swingers. Which I think makes good sense
> > too.
> > 
> > Karma HARF     10 Swing points
> > Red Barn NAP    10 Swing points
> > Niccolo Flychuck Tarzan's Tree House    10 Swing points
> > /dev/joe Vulcan    10 Swing points
> > 
> > 
> > Ben The Office of Ben    10 Swing points  (No longer a player of Acka or
> > party chess)
> > 
> > - - Karma
> > 
> > ------------------------------
> > 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:07:15 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka  swing points

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> It does not make particularly good sense, either.  The point of the
> proposal as I understand it was that the Swingpoint harfing had gotten
> so out of date as to be difficult to recover, thus the proposal offered
> a way to (more-or-less) equitably distribute some Swingpoints and
> assure that the harfing would become correct.  Swingpoints _are_

Right.

> 
> At this point, however, I believe it is all water under the bridge.
> It was harfed as Karma described, and the mistakes were not pointed
> out within two weeks, so I think the rules specify that the game
> state Karma thought we were in is now, in fact, the true gamestate. 

Right.  I think this might have happened near a short vacation of mine,
which was the reason I didn't ask before. 
As ThinMan says, retroactivity leaves the situation as it, and even this
way, it seems to have achieved at least one its goals - to make the
harfing correct.

Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> 
> ThinMan
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:50:40 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: I'm back from Peru!

Well, in the case we have been working on in my office, all the oppositions
to motions for summary judgment are finally out the door.  The last night
of operations was hellish (can you say 15 hours of over time?  In one night
alone?) so I gave myself a few days to recover.  

I have at least skimmed all of my mail, so I know that the expedition has
kindly waited for me.  However, due to Phoebe's insistent warnings, I think
it is a good idea to get it moving quickly.  Thus, I am proceeding to the
edge of town and creating the following trinket worth A$100 (though its
worth could never really be valued in the terms of mere money):

The Flag of Ackanomia

This is a large banner waving magnificently on a long pole.  The pole is
striped silver and gold in honor of all great Ackanomians with an enamel
blue cross at the very tip.  The flag itself is divided into two fields by
a diagonal line, one red field and one blue field.   Over the whole is a
stylistic letter "A", kind of like the scarlet letter of Hester Prynn,
except in gold and more tasteful.  

I am waving the flag so that all can see that the expedition is ready to
start and, if they wish, join it.  I then plant the flagpole in the sand
and sit down to wait, furiously flipping through my pages of letters to
find out which proposals I have to vote on.

Balsamic Dragon

ps: Is there some specific thing I have to do to get off ice?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:13:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I'm back from Peru!

 Balsamic Dragon asked:
> 
> ps: Is there some specific thing I have to do to get off ice?
> 

Yes, return from vacation.

/dev/joe
Creator of the "On Ice" icon. :-)
Tonight if I remember to do it I'll draw a big Flag of Ackanomia.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:01:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I'm back from Peru!

> ps: Is there some specific thing I have to do to get off ice?

You just need to return from vacation.

Also, I'm afraid that your flag creation failed, since you hadn't
returned from vacation yet. Vacationing players are allowed to send
public messages but not create trinkets.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 16:10:31 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I'm back from Peru!

I am hereby officially back from vacation.

> 
> > ps: Is there some specific thing I have to do to get off ice?
> 
> You just need to return from vacation.
> 
> Also, I'm afraid that your flag creation failed, since you hadn't
> returned from vacation yet. Vacationing players are allowed to send
> public messages but not create trinkets.
> 
> breadbox
> 
Here is my earlier message re-posted so that it becomes valid:

Well, in the case we have been working on in my office, all the oppositions
to motions for summary judgment are finally out the door.  The last night
of operations was hellish (can you say 15 hours of over time?  In one night
alone?) so I gave myself a few days to recover.  

I have at least skimmed all of my mail, so I know that the expedition has
kindly waited for me.  However, due to Phoebe's insistent warnings, I think
it is a good idea to get it moving quickly.  Thus, I am proceeding to the
edge of town and creating the following trinket worth A$100 (though its
worth could never really be valued in the terms of mere money):

The Flag of Ackanomia

This is a large banner waving magnificently on a long pole.  The pole is
striped silver and gold in honor of all great Ackanomians with an enamel
blue cross at the very tip.  The flag itself is divided into two fields by
a diagonal line, one red field and one blue field.   Over the whole is a
stylistic letter "A", kind of like the scarlet letter of Hester Prynn,
except in gold and more tasteful.  

I am waving the flag so that all can see that the expedition is ready to
start and, if they wish, join it.  I then plant the flagpole in the sand
and sit down to wait, furiously flipping through my pages of letters to
find out which proposals I have to vote on.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #342
*******************************