Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #335
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Tuesday, October 14 1997       Volume 02 : Number 335

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:29:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Player (Me)

We have another new player in Ackanomic; if you cast your minds back, some
of you may recall an observer named Aaron Keesler.  Well, e's decided to
make the fateful transition into full-fledged(voting)player, with the
following declaration:

> Having acquired an encyclopaedic knowledge of the rules of Ackanomic,
> down to the finest details, and having already written hundreds, nay
> thousands, of major proposals, I think I am ready to participate in your
> crazy game.  My e-mail address is (obviously) [email-masked],
> and the name I would like to have on Acka is Fortunato.

Please welcome him to the game that is Ackanomic.  I have been chosen as
his mentor.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Enemy Mine Soundtrack
Current Book--Dean R. Koontz:Midnight
God made everything out of nothing, and it shows.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:20:06 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure 106 found

> Alfvaen has found Treasure 106, buried almost a year ago, consisting
> of the Map of Jara.  Perhaps he can enlighten us as to which clues
> turned him on to the secret.  The map, that parade description that
> hid the map, and how it is figured out are all below.

It took me a while, but I think the Hubert Feathers map got me onto the
idea of keeping some and tossing the rest away.  Some people may recall
my trying to follow some of the parade instructions literally(giving all
but A$50 to the Speaker, for instance, and burying "my useless brain").
One of the clues(the Phoebe one, perhaps?), said something about "A
one-hour parade that had gone on three hours too long", which made me
think of looking at every fourth something or other.  Eventually I hit
upon the right combination(every fourth word, starting with the third),
and it all looked coherent.

The following was obviously the meat:

> It said: you are the worthy one who shall know the Tao to the Ancient
> Treasure of Jara locked away for millenia.  Only those with a prime number
> of heads shall even have a chance to gaze upon those riches, and even
> then, such must be adorned with headwear constructed not of ones own
> design.

This is why I had to ditch my Wings.  (Anyone remember a Proposal I
put through that halved the cost for removing mutations?  :-)  And
why I borrowed mr cwm's Prosthetic Foreheads.  I hereby remove them,
and offer them back to mr cwm, since they have served their purpose.

> One who seeks this treasure shall not be greedy, but have at least
> one big head.

I wasn't sure if this meant anything or not, but hence, "one big head".  I
should do something with that sometime.

> They should know the ways of buried Treasure, in fact they
> should know the location of such worth at least A$50.

This was, of course, no problem.

> As they are such a proud individual they should have their greatness
> recorded in verse.

This was the part that kept holding me up.  Mainly because I wasn't sure if
my own verse would qualify(though I suppose I could've tried...this is
probably why Malenkai Hosed me right before the Presidential elections.
:-)  So first I asked fnord to do it, but he disappeared, so I eventually
got around to asking breadbox.  And then breadbox pointed out that as
President I could _tell_ him to do it, and so I did.  (Wonderful poem, by
the way.  Brings tears to my eyes.)

> Map condition to the Map of Jara
> --------------------------------

> 1) Must be wearing 2 Prosthetic foreheads, Silly Vacation Hats, etc, or
> any combination of any acka headwear.  The caveat is that all such
> headwear must have been designed by someone other than the wearer.
> [obviously, 2 or more heads are required, or the rules must change].

And in the posted map, it said 'a prime number'!  And here I could've
gotten it with four!  :-)

> 2) Must have, in the past, buried a Treasure with aggregate value in
> excess of A$49.  A$ and Trinkets valued at face value.  All other objects
> valued at their last trade price, auction price, or what they can be
> bought for from the Treasury, whichever is higher.  If there is no such
> value otherwise defined, the value is 0.

I seem to recall from reading the email logs that this was first buried
when there were few treasures, and few trinkets, so this might have been
a way to encourage more...?

So what's on this Map, anyway?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Enemy Mine Soundtrack
Current Book--Dean R. Koontz:Midnight
Archaeology is the only profession where your future lies in ruins.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:46:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Pototo + Aliens

> two-star has found the magic potato.

Question: What happens to the Great Tuba?  Does it go to Onieros's undead?
As far as I can tell, mimsy objects are only lost by undead when they
actually become undead; they can be transferred later.  So does R501 result 
in the transfer of the Tuba to Onieros?  (I'll harf it that way for now,
just for simplicity...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sheena Easton:The Lover In Me
Current Book--Dean R. Koontz:Midnight
Oho!  Lies the wind in that quarter?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 00:49:29 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure 106 found

> It took me a while, but I think the Hubert Feathers map got me onto the
> idea of keeping some and tossing the rest away.

So the blueprints didn't help?

> So what's on this Map, anyway?

I think you'll have to ask someone more enlightened than myself
that question? :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:08:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Another Stripe

The passage of Proposal 2322 brings Niccolo Flychuck to a Blue Cross Rank
of 90, for which he deserves _three_ Silver Stripes(in addition to his Gold
Stripe and Blue Cross), and since he has only two I hereby, by the power
invested in me by the Rules as the President of Ackanomic, and in this long
run-on sentence, bestow another Silver Stripe on Niccolo Flychuck, founder
of the Church of Odo on the Wormhole and the Metamorph party, sometime
Chess-Umpire, and a bunch of other stuff; may he wear it in good health.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Debbie Gibson:This So-Called Miracle
Current Book--Dean R. Koontz:Midnight
Maybe it's just the _idea_ of an inflatable rubber starship that bothers me.

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: 
From: 
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:06:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (Me)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> We have another new player in Ackanomic; if you cast your minds back, some
> of you may recall an observer named Aaron Keesler.  Well, e's decided to
> make the fateful transition into full-fledged(voting)player, with the
> following declaration:
> 
> > Having acquired an encyclopaedic knowledge of the rules of Ackanomic,
> > down to the finest details, and having already written hundreds, nay
> > thousands, of major proposals, I think I am ready to participate in your
> > crazy game.  My e-mail address is (obviously) [email-masked],
> > and the name I would like to have on Acka is Fortunato.
> 
> Please welcome him to the game that is Ackanomic.  I have been chosen as
> his mentor.

Welcome Fortunato!  Watch out for snakes!

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:33:33 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: counter-RFC

Here is an alternative suggestion for organizational reform,
incorporating Institutions:

RFC ReOrganization

This is a Grandiose proposal.

(1) Amend rule 1003 to read in full:

"
I. Forming an Organization

Any Player may attempt to form a new Organization as a public action.
Such an attempt will succeed if and only if the player provides a legal
Ackanomic name for the new Organization at the time that he attempts to
create it.  The player who creates a new Organization in this manner
becomes its first and (initially) only member; that player is the
Founder of that Organization.  Organizations created in this manner are
player-sanctioned Organizations.

Alternatively, the rules may create Organizations or specify that
certain players are, collectively, an Organization.  Such Organizations
are rule-sanctioned Organizations.

II. Organization Membership

Any Player may publicly request membership in any Organization of which
he is not already a member.  That Organization in which membership was
requested may grant the request as an Organizational action.  If the
request is granted by the Organization then the player who made the
request becomes a member of that Organization.  [Except see below]

A player-sanctioned organization may, as an Organizational action, give
to or take away from an individual member or members the ability to
grant membership requests on behalf of the Organization as a whole.

A player-sanctioned organization may, as an Organizational action,
establish or revoke an open admissions policy.  From such time as an
Organization establishes an open admissions policy until such time as
it revokes it, any Player who is eligible to join that Organization may
do so as a public action without any other action required of the
Organization itself.

No player shall ever become a member of any Organization without first
expressing their consent.  A player may at any time leave an
Organization of which he is a member.

III. Organization Disbandment

The rules may call for the disbandment of an Organization. When an
Organization is disbanded, everything owned by the Organization is
transferred to the Treasury, and the Organization then ceases to exist.
A Player-sanctioned Organization is disbanded upon ceasing to have any
members.

IV. Organization Size

The Size of an Organization is the number of members it has. Terms such
as 'larger' and 'smallest', when applied to Organizations, refer to the
Sizes of the Organizations being compared. [For example, to say that one
organization is larger than another is to say that it has more members.]

V. Organization Similarity

For any two Organizations X and Y, orgsim(X, Y) is defined as the
percentage of members of X who are also members of Y, except for the
case where X and Y are the same, in which case it is defined to be 0. 

The H Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the greater of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). 

The L Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the lesser of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). 

The M Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the average of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A).

VI. Restricted Organizations

The rules may specify that certain Organizations are restricted.  In
particular, player-sanctioned Organizations which have fewer than three
members are restricted.  Restricted Organizations may not purchase
Organizational Powers; any Organizational Power owned by a restricted
Organization has no effect.  This takes precedence over all other rules
governing Organizational Powers.

Organizations which are not specified by the rules to be restricted are
unrestricted.  No organization is both restricted and unrestricted.

VII. Organizational Voting

If an Organization is called upon to conduct a vote, then the voting
period shall be seven days unless otherwise specified by the rules.
If at any time during the voting period each member who is elligible to
cast a vote on a particular matter has done so then any member of the
organization may end the voting period for that matter at that time by
announcing the results.  If the voting period elapses without the
results being reported then the organization has three days to report
the results.  If the results of the voting on a particular matter are
reported within these limits, or if the results do not favor a single
outcome, then the organization makes no decision on that matter.
"

(2) Amend rule 411 ("Senate") to read, in full:
"
The Office of Senator has four Seats. The Speaker is not eligible to
hold this Office. The Senators are collectively a restricted
Organization callled the Senate.

The Speaker or the Acting Speaker is the titular head of the Senate.  He
has the title of ProcConsul.  If a Senate vote is tied after all the
Senators and Acting Senators have voted, then the ProConsul may cast a
tie-breaking vote on the matter in question.
"

(3) Amend section 1 of rule 1303 ("Synod") to read, in full:
"
There exists a restricted Organization called Synod.
"

(4) In rule 1040 ("Party Hall") replace all the word "Institution" in
section 1 with the phrase "restricted Organization".

(5) In rule 420 ("Ackanomic History Guild") replace each occurence of
the word "Institution" with the phrase "restricted Organization".

(6) In rule 1240 ("Definition of Otzma Cards" delete the string "any
Institution".

(7) Repeal rule 1001 "Institutions".

(8) Reduce ThinMan's score by seven points, and Increase Niccolo
Flychuck's score by seven points.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:34:39 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Q - Swing Points

> I recall that there was a proposal of mine which passed and destroyed all
> SwingPoint and cthen created 50 new ones and was supposed to distribute
> them randomly. whatever happened with that? 

Karma was responsible for harfing that.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:52:09 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka swing points

> I recall that there was a proposal of mine which passed and destroyed all
> SwingPoint and cthen created 50 new ones and was supposed to distribute
> them randomly. whatever happened with that? 

Since there were 5 swingers in the chess game at the time 9about 2 months
ago I think), I had announced that I was distributing 10 swing points to
each swinger (also about two months ago).

- - Karma (Harf Swinger)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:49:58 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: Entities in the Treasury

> Is there a procedure to get all those entities out of there.
> if there isn't one, I'll propose one. I was thinking something like this.

> Any player can call for a Hearing for Auctioning off an Entity owned by
> the Treasury. If the results of the Hearing are for the Auction, then the
> entity in question is Auctioned in a public Auction.

That's an interesting idea, although Count Tabula might want there to be
some kind of limit on how often this could occur.

I've been meaning to submit something along these lines, but make it a
periodic thing--every month, or something, some object(or set of objects,
so that every BP wouldn't have to be auctioned separately)would be selected
at random and auctioned off by the Financier.  My problem was in trying to
specify precisely which items in the Treasury were Auctionable and which
not.  For instance, Capital Swinger offices shouldn't be, or any unownable
entities, or A$...it might be best to make up an explicit list, and then
add to it later if necessary.

What's in there now...BP's, PF's, Bonus Votes, and Otzma Cards.  I'm not
sure whether the Wool Sweater should qualify...  Gadgets should also be
included, since it's possible in the Rules for them to end up there.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Waterboys:Dream Harder
Current Book--Dean R. Koontz:Midnight
Jesus saves and takes half damage.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #335
*******************************