Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #331
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, October 10 1997       Volume 02 : Number 331

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 22:53:16 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: ackanomic digest V2 #325

>         I would like to state that I would like to remain a player.

Almost a bit late for that, but you can certainly return as a player.
Consider yourself reactivated; I'm not sure if you immediately became a
player upon your post, or whether it doesn't take effect until the
Registrar(that's me)acks it, so you might have to resubmit your Proposal.
(If the first submission was valid, though, then your amendment came too
late...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--OMD:Junk Culture
Current Book--Storm Constantine:The Fulfilments of Fate And Desire
I was transferred to the Moon--worse pay, better hours.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 23:11:51 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: I Got Stripes

Obviously I was a bit premature with my recent silver-stripe awarding,
because with the passage of P2319 and P2320, my Blue Cross Rank rose to 50,
so I hereby award myself another Silver Stripe, this time in front of a
tilted camera in front of a video screen so it does that weird spiraling
effect thingy and creates and infinitude of images until I start to get
dizzy.  Whoo-hoo!

I should mention that as of tomorrow afternoon I'll be out of town for
Canadian Thanksgiving(which is this weekend), though I should be back by
Monday night.  That's _just_ over the three-day thing, so I won't bother 
going on official Vacation or anything, though I won't get any actual
harfing done after tomorrow morning, probably...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--John Prine
Current Book--Storm Constantine:The Fulfilments of Fate And Desire
Banging my head against the writing on the wall

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 23:59:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ackanomic digest V2 #325

>>         I would like to state that I would like to remain a player.
> 
> Almost a bit late for that, but you can certainly return as a
> player.  Consider yourself reactivated; I'm not sure if you
> immediately became a player upon your post, or whether it doesn't
> take effect until the Registrar(that's me)acks it, so you might have
> to resubmit your Proposal.

That is correct; Darth Vader returns as a player as of your
posting.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:28:35 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka : non-institutionalized RFC

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> I guess I phrased it badly.  What I meant was that the Synod rule relies
> on rule 1001 to specify the length of a vote and the conditions under
> which the voting period may end and the results be posted early.
> Without R1001, the Synod would have serious problems making decisions.
Granted. 

> I agree, but I think that part of the problem was that we had groups
> specified to be institutions which weren't really -- they were just
> groups of players (Party Hall, Historian's Guild).  As I see it, there
> are only two "real" Institutions, both of which rely on the
> Institutions rule to one degree or another.

I dop not necessarily agree with the distinction of "real" Institutions,
but that's besides the point.
> 
> I think it makes more sense to have a single set of rules governing
> subgroupings of Ackanomians, and the Organizations framework seems to
> be seeing more use than the Institutions one did.  Various ways of
> overhauling the Organizations framework have been under discussion
> lately; perhaps I can come up with some ideas that will kill two or
> more birds with a single stone.

I'll post an RFC. This will probably be after Yom-Kipur. 
The thing is, I want to be able to do this without just making the current
Institution Rule a type of Organization, because then we have done very
little.

I am  assuming the the following things are desirable:
1. Keep the Senate voting and reporting the same as it is now
2. Same thing for the Synod
3. Party Hall and History Guild would just be made into Organizations
4. It was suggested to me previously that the time for Organizational
action should be made shorter - like three days. I'm not sure this is a
good idea. I'd prefer to keep the default for 7 days, which would make it
easier to work the current Institutions into the Organizationl framework.

IMO, much of this can be achieved by redefining the above entities as
Unique Organizations. That way they inherit all the default properties of
Organizations. Over-ride some with their own methods (elibility,
authority, etc.and a couple of section specific to Unique Organizations
might be added to a newly formed Organizations rules (which will nuke
generic Organizations, and single player organizations as well - a plan
I've outlined during the past week), such as some exceptions to reporting
an Organizational Action, which will still be much smaller than the
current Institutions rule.
As for Joint Assembly - I've already stated my intent to expand, in a
seperate proposal.

rfc

Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> 
> ThinMan
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:15:12 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Observer

We have a new observer in Ackanomic; his name is Aaron Keesler, and his
message is quoted below:

> 	I might be interested in joining your crazy game, but I'd like a bit
> (to read the ruleset, etc) before I make a decision.  I noticed you have
> some kind of observer status - could I become one of those, perhaps?

Give 'im a rousing Acka welcome, chaps!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Yes:Roundabout
Current Book--Storm Constantine:The Fulfilments of Fate And Desire
The polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode in the invariable plane.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:54:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Trinket Creation

  BTW, I noticed on the players/entites page that we have a player called
Dread Pirate Roberts.  You have, then, heard the joke:

"Bones!  It's Pirate Roberts!"  "He's Dread, Jim."

?

  Back on topic:
  I have A$171.  I am creating a trinket:

Dogzilla, A$100:
  This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number
123,456,789.  It looks like a giant hairy lizard.

  I now have A$71.

  I am walking the Dogzilla.  Dogzilla accidentally tramples Thring.  I am
destroying Thring for cash.

  I now have A$72.

  I am creating a trinket:
Rod of Undoing, A$5:
  This trinket is sleight-of-hand.  It is glass bullet of butterfly-slaying,
and does not have a number on it.  It looks like a long glass sceptre, and
when waved at an object has a tendency to remove it, unless it's a snake, in
which case it is destroyed for cash.

  I am waving the Rod of Undoing at Dogzilla.  Dogzilla looks like a snake to
me, so I am destroying it for cash.  In the process, I drop the Rod of
Undoing, and being glass it breaks.  By astounding coincidence it fractures
into coins.  I am destroying it for cash.

  With me?  Good.  I now have A$172.

  I am creating a trinket:
Disintegrator, A$20:
  This trinket is a large cardboard box.  Some people don't know the meaning
of the word 'trinket'...

  I am placing the Kudo, the internomic, the Dubious Chicken Rectum, the 5
PFAlfvaen, the player, and the players  in the disintegrator, then activating
the disintegrator.  True to its name, it disintegrates; I am detroying it and
its contents for cash.

  I now have A$198.

  I am creating a trinket:
Storage Battery, A$8:
  This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1999.
The former two sentences have no effect unless I created the storage battery
with more than A$99, of course (btw, the 'A' was left out in the 'A$' symbol
in the relevant rule passage).  Thus they are there to let me destroy the
Storage Batttery and recreate it with a higher value, specifying the same
description without explicitly writing it out (less work for both me and the
trinket-harfer).
  It is also a large red battery, with the word 'Achtung!' written on it.

  I now have A$190.  I am creating a trinket:
Big-Nosed Kilroy, A$190:
  This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 333.  333
is the number of Eric The Half-A-Beast.
  The Big-Nosed Kilroy is a small, friendly chap who happens to be a walking
head (somewhat like the Mr. Saturns from EarthBound), and is mostly nose.  He
likes to hang from his feet in unlikely places and say "Peekaboo!  BwaHaHa!"

  I am burying the Big-Nosed Kilroy where you will never find him.
  I am creating a contract:
Kilroy Eligibility Contract, A$0:
  This contract is big-heap magic.  Anyone who doesn't sign it cannot find the
Big-Nosed Kilroy.  This is not an effect of the contract, just an
irrelevant sentence which might interest some people.
  Anyone who does sign it agrees to the following:
  * If e finds the Big-Nosed Kilroy, e will rebury it within 30 days with a
    map which states that it cannot be found by any player who has not signed
    the Kilroy Eligibility Contract.
  * If e finds the Big-Nosed Kilroy, e will think of some short, harfy,
    relevant comment, and make it before reburying the Big-Nosed Kilroy.
    Suggestions include:
    - Dr. Livingstone, I presume?
    - Aiee!  A rat!  Kill it!  Kill it!
    - On my word, a brontosaurus.
  * E will give a Majik to the player who most recently buried the Big-Nosed
    Kilroy before em, creating it anew by preference.  E will do this within 5
    days of as soon as it becomes possible for em to do so, before reburying
    the Big-Nosed Kilroy, and after it becomes publically knowable that e has
    found the Big-Nosed Kilroy this time.

  I am burying the Kilroy Eligibility Contract.  Note that it can still be
signed.  I choose to reveal the entire map to the Kilroy Eligibility Contract;
if possible, I am making you all (every other player) custodians of it.  The
map reads:
>>>
  The Kilroy Eligibility Contract will never be found.  Ever.  Note that this
does not keep it from being signed.  Oh, fine, escape hatch.  The Kilroy
Eligibility Contract will be found by Red Barn when he says it is.
<<<

  I am signing the Kilroy Eligibility Contract, so I don't forget to do it
later.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Schooling is not to impart knowledge, but to impart ability.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:00:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Some strange code

789852.147789.759552
987412365.987412369.
789123852.1475369.98
7412365..741236963.1
4789654.3..753951.36

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
If it's before midnight, it's early in the morning.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:02:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Is there a Monster in the house?

  Is one being built, rather?

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Schooling is not to impart knowledge, but to impart ability.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:47:35 -0400
From: Daniel Abraham <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Dictionaries

I'm afraid I have to bow out at this point - I'm running an Earthdawn game
now, and, pressed for time, have not been able to pay attention to
Ackanomic.  Can I be removed from subscription lists as well?

thanks...
Onieros

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:11:20 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Is there a Monster in the house?

>   Is one being built, rather?
> 
Yez, I heff for zome time now been beeldeeng a monzter by ze name of
Valaraukar, or razzer ze bluepreent for et.

Rex Mundi!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:32:10 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Dictionaries

Oneiros wrote:

> I'm afraid I have to bow out at this point - I'm running an Earthdawn
> game
> now, and, pressed for time, have not been able to pay attention to
> Ackanomic.  Can I be removed from subscription lists as well?
> 
Sorry to see you go, but I know how Acka can eat up time.  I hope your
Earthdawn game is a success.  Feel free to return at any time -- your
undead will be waiting.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:02:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Godel link down

  I just noticed that the links off of the Godel's theorem page give "access
denied".  Whose problem is this?

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit rec.games.video.classic and find out about Pac-Man's contemporaries!
Turn on, or I'll boot you downstairs!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:37:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Godel link down

>   I just noticed that the links off of the Godel's theorem page give "access
> denied".  Whose problem is this?

The problem of the maintainers of those pages, which have gone out of date or
no longer exist.  The link on Penrose's book is still good, though.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:40:21 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka observer

Welcome new observer! *big hearted welcome with applause*

Just out of curiosity how many observers are really just spies from other
nomics if any? And is there a way we could determine it?

- - Karma (Paranorange. *shudder*runs deep, into your soul it will creep)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:43:49 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka trinket

I am creating a trinket called a "Mouse Potato" its description is this:
The mouse potato is an official word meaning one who spends too much time
online. The Ackanomic mascot perhaps?
- - Karma (online)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:46:52 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka trinket 

I think I failed to mention how much the "Mouse Potato" is worth. Value of
mouse potato A$10
- - Karma (still online)
oh yeah on an afterthought my serial mouse is squeaking, anyone have any
suggestions to erradicate the situation?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 17:57:38 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re: Trinket Creation

A.K.A. TheWiz spammed the acka list :):

[lots of attempted actions] 

All these actions fail.  Please put "Acka:" in the subject line
for those of us who have to track the game state.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 19:28:44 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re acka funny 

A.K.A. TheWiz spammed the acka list :):

[lots of attempted actions] 

Karma sez' : I have to hand it to Malenkai I cracked up when I saw this
"lots of attempted actions" snipperooney Mal did.

All these actions fail.  Please put "Acka:" in the subject line
for those of us who have to track the game state.

 Karma sez': poor Red Barn red all those clever and witty trinkets spanning
numerous pages of our fine Acka forum destroyed in a few simple
observations from Malenkai, yet something in these no nonsense replies
(that I must say Mal excecutes with flair and finesse) makes me roar!

- - Karma (beside 'hiself)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 00:50:37 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Re: Is there a Monster in the house?

> >   Is one being built, rather?
> > 
> Yez, I heff for zome time now been beeldeeng a monzter by ze name of
> Valaraukar, or razzer ze bluepreent for et.
> 
> Rex Mundi!

Zanks to Malenkai for pointing out zat ze zubject for zis vas wrong.
Pleeze, zubmit perts for Valaraukar!

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:17:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Diplomacy Game (not Acka related)

Are there any Acka players that live in Austin, Texas interested in playing
a game of Diplomacy tomorrow (Saturday) at 1pm? E-mail me, if you are
interested.

If you want to know what Diplomacy is, just ask.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #331
*******************************