Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #320
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Monday, September 29 1997      Volume 02 : Number 320

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 01:10:24 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion II

The following houses are blown away by the tornaro, to
the extent that that is possible (in the case of undead).

> B4: /dev/house-o-cheese (/dev/joe) (dangling)
> C8: Malenkai's Castle (Malenkai) (dangling)
> D7: Temple of the Damned (Crackfoo) (dangling)
> E1: AZTEC GOD's house (AZTEC GOD) (dangling)
> F9: Mohammed's Autumn Hammock (Robert Sevin) (dangling)
> H5: Darth Vader's house (Darth Vader) (dangling)
> K1: norpan - Cell Block H (norpan) (dangling)
> L1: Whiz's house (Whiz) (dangling)
> L4: The Pirate Ship Revenge (Dread Pirate Roberts) (dangling)
> L5: Ace Rimmer's house (Ace Rimmer) (dangling)
> F8: CarsesraC's house (CarsesraC) (dangling)
> G7: the Oasis (Chaos) (dangling)
> L2: Ben's House of Pain (Ben) (dangling)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 01:11:19 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offices

> 2) I announce a nomination for the vacant office of Chess-Umpire.
> Let me know if you want it.

No one volunteered for this.  Thus the rules for optional offices
apply.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 01:22:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Potato + Aliens

ThinMan has found the magic potato.

Aliens rolled (no effect):

1077
2031
1774

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 11:47:36 CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: CPI

I thought I had already sent in my FOR vote on INP 481,  but I guess I
missed it.

Voting Gnome hereby votes FOR INP481

VG
except when e is VVB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 07:33:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: In Hong Kong, a Paradox Win CFJ

> FWIW, I personally would like to keep it, because I sort my
> mail visually, not with the software, and the 'Acka' in the
> subject line makes it easy to scan the 'in' folder.  If I'm
> the only one that likes the status quo, though, ignore me.

  I think so, too.  This does not, of course, include messages *I* send...

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
##SIGSTART  If you see this text, tell me!  You shouldn't!  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:45:00 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (ThinMan)

Archie Leach did not report what Phoebe said.
ThinMan has found phoebe.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:03:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion II

Malenkai wrote:
> The following houses are blown away by the tornaro, to
> the extent that that is possible (in the case of undead).
> 
> > B4: /dev/house-o-cheese (/dev/joe) (dangling)

I an renaming my floating house "/dev/voyager0".
I am leaving my house, carrying all my (locationless) possessions, and
flying to Vulcan Headquarters.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:18:34 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Awards

Vynd wrote:

> In honor of his distinguished service in the Senate, I am awarding
> ThinMan
> a Blue Cross Bonus.  I am then presenting him with a Silver Stripe.
> 
Thank you, Senator.  It has been an honor to serve in the Ackanomic
Senate.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:21:02 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Justice

/dev/joe wrote:

> Well, that's it.  ThinMan's appointment as Justice is confirmed
> unanimously
> by the senate, currently consisting of just Vynd and myself.
> 
Thank you for your vote of confidence, gentlemen.  I will strive to
serve Ackanomic in my new role as Justice with integrity,
impartiality, logic, and truth.

Justice ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:34:31 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Offices

Malenkai wrote:

> > >    Bond-Harfer
> > >    Financier
> > >    Trinket-Harfer
> > >    Undead-Harfer
> 
> I appoint ThinMan to these offices in an acting capacity.
> 
Alfvaen, come back soon!  :-)

My primary activity with regard to the last three of those offices
will be to log (and check) transactions.  With regard to the first
one, I will log transactions and hope that Alfvaen returns before
the end of the next bond cycle.  There may be a few other duties as
well, which I will carry out to the best of my ability.

Note: Alfvaen's server is forbidding me access to the trinkets page,
but I can get most of what I am likely to need in that regard from the
p/e and undead pages.

ThinMan
Acting Harfer-of-many-things

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:06:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Secret Lab Activity

I propose that Vulcan build a Scroll of Crumble in its Secret Lab, because
it's boring to build Spell Books of Chorg each month which then don't even
get used. ;-)

I approve this action.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> I thought I had already sent in my FOR vote on INP 481,  but I guess I
> missed it.
> 
> Voting Gnome hereby votes FOR INP481
> 
> VG
> except when e is VVB
> 

Curses.  One stupid (and kind of weird) typo on my part, and we have
people voting on the wrong INP.  Can this possibly construed as a vote on
INP 348, considering the situation?  Alternatively, VG, could you just
vote again, this time on the correct number, INP 348?  Oh, and that's PCI,
not CPI.  :P

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:55:29 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Secret Lab Activity

/dev/joe wrote:

> I propose that Vulcan build a Scroll of Crumble in its Secret Lab,
> because
> it's boring to build Spell Books of Chorg each month which then don't
> even
> get used. ;-)
> 
> I approve this action.
> 
I also approve this action.

ThinMan
Vulcan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:40:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offices

> Note: Alfvaen's server is forbidding me access to the trinkets page,
> but I can get most of what I am likely to need in that regard from the
> p/e and undead pages.

My page is still up if you need it.  It has all but the last 3 trinkets.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:49:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

> Curses.  One stupid (and kind of weird) typo on my part, and we have
> people voting on the wrong INP.  Can this possibly construed as a vote on
> INP 348, considering the situation?  Alternatively, VG, could you just
> vote again, this time on the correct number, INP 348?  Oh, and that's PCI,
> not CPI.  :P

In reality, the voting period on INP 348 has long since come and
gone without the senate reporting the outcome of the vote.  Also, it
is up to the senate to construe, count, and report the voting however
they'd like, but it really doesn't matter at this point.  Acka will
abstain on 348, and some people may be in contempt.   At least that is
how I understand the rules anyway.  They are a bit byzantine, though,
so I may be wrong (ie, if precedence is broken, we cannot know who
is to report the vote).

I am also going to propose a total nuking of all this institutional 
stuff sometime, to be replaced by simple hearings.  It is clear to me
that it simply does not work, and I'm not sure the contempt is even
being handled by the gaoler, financier, and other harfers.

Malenkai
Ambassador

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:51:57 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secret Lab Activity

> I propose that Vulcan build a Scroll of Crumble in its Secret Lab, because
> it's boring to build Spell Books of Chorg each month which then don't even
> get used. ;-)

I approve this action.  I also offer to trade a Spell Book of Chorg to
/dev/joe for an Otzma Card Share my Expenses.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:19:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secret Lab Activity

Malenkai wrote:
> > I propose that Vulcan build a Scroll of Crumble in its Secret Lab, because
> > it's boring to build Spell Books of Chorg each month which then don't even
> > get used. ;-)
> 
> I approve this action.  I also offer to trade a Spell Book of Chorg to
> /dev/joe for an Otzma Card Share my Expenses.

A Share my Expenses card?  Oh, I do seem to have one of those.
I accept this trade.  Also, I am reading the next page of this spell book,
whatever that page is.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:26:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Phoebe made me do it.

  During lunch, the Machine That Goes *ping* astrally projected into my
sandwich, and told me:

>>>>>
  You capitalized my name wrong.  Oh, and:
74156953.41863.74296.987412345..78952.78946123.7412369..78952.78941.
7895123.78945123741.741862..789451.78941.7891235.7415369.741593.
78912357418963.987412365..123698741.741236963.789852..78946123.98754741..
78952.741456963.987654321..123456789.148635.78941.78952.741456963.2687
<<<<<

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
##SIGSTART  If you see this text, tell me!  You shouldn't!  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:03:42 -0500
From: "Crackfoo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Off subject

I would like to talk with one or more of our resident Linux gurus via
private email.  

[email-masked]

Crackfoo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:19:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Secret Lab Activity

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> 
> /dev/joe wrote:
> 
> > I propose that Vulcan build a Scroll of Crumble in its Secret Lab,
> > because
> > it's boring to build Spell Books of Chorg each month which then don't
> > even
> > get used. ;-)
> > 
> > I approve this action.
> > 
> I also approve this action.
> 

I approve this action.  I can only hope that it will find use in combating
the Orange Menace.

> 
> ThinMan
> Vulcan
> 

                                       - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Curses.  One stupid (and kind of weird) typo on my part, and we have
> > people voting on the wrong INP.  Can this possibly construed as a vote on
> > INP 348, considering the situation?  Alternatively, VG, could you just
> > vote again, this time on the correct number, INP 348?  Oh, and that's PCI,
> > not CPI.  :P
> 
> In reality, the voting period on INP 348 has long since come and
> gone without the senate reporting the outcome of the vote.  Also, it
> is up to the senate to construe, count, and report the voting however
> they'd like, but it really doesn't matter at this point.  Acka will
> abstain on 348, and some people may be in contempt.   At least that is
> how I understand the rules anyway.  They are a bit byzantine, though,
> so I may be wrong (ie, if precedence is broken, we cannot know who
> is to report the vote).

Well, I was under the impression that we had two weeks to vote on
Internomic proposals.  This is the voting period as defined in Internomic
itself, however, so I guess it probably doesn't hold sway here.  What *is*
the voting period for an Internomic proposal here then?  Where is it
defined in the rules?  I think you are right that those of us who didn't
vote will be in Contempt, so we need to figure out who voted before the
deadline.  If, by chance, I am correct that we have two weeks, then we
still have until the 1st of October by my count.

> 
> I am also going to propose a total nuking of all this institutional 
> stuff sometime, to be replaced by simple hearings.  It is clear to me
> that it simply does not work, and I'm not sure the contempt is even
> being handled by the gaoler, financier, and other harfers.
> 

I agree that Institutions do not work very well.  Even the PCI, which was
conceived as an organization that only people who were genuinely
interested in voting on INPs would join, seems to suffer from a great deal
of apathy.  Indeed, while I am not sure I would want to go so far as
removing Institutions entirely, I would very much like to see this joint
PCI/Senate thing go away.  The PCI has been in effect for, what, two
months, and has only attracted 3 members.  Perhaps Acka should consider
removing itself from Internomic entirely if intrest in it is so low.  This
would make it much more difficult for the Agents of Orange to influence
affairs here, I might add.

> Malenkai
> Ambassador
> 

                        - Senator Vynd, isolationism anyone?

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:10:02 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Off subject

- --===3BDRY_=_=_=BDRY0===
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  'acka'
Subject:  Acka: Off subject
Date: 1997-09-29 09:04
Priority: 3
Message ID: 1A90826FD038D111B5960060976638FA
Conversation ID: Acka: Off subject

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to talk to one or more of our Linux gurus via private email.

[email-masked]

crackfoo  

- --===3BDRY_=_=_=BDRY0===--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:51:09 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Court Matters

If it is possible, I decline to judge CFJs 461 and 465 in my
new capacity as a Supreme Court Justice.  The former is, I
presume, already in deliberation; the latter was both
initiated and appealed by me.  The latter is less for conflict
of interest (as I don't think anyone would be clear of that
with respect to CFJ 465) but more for the sake of
gamesmanship.

ThinMan
Justice

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:14:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 120

Oh, I object!  That mess in R2290 was the only reason I voted for it.
What better way to preserve the Earth's beloved flatness?

- -mr cwm

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Vynd wrote:

>
>What the heck, I've decided to use my awesome CSSR powers, mostly to clean
>up the numbering in the 1300s a little bit, assuming there are no
>objections. Here is the text of CSR 120:
>
>Renumber Rule 2283 Viva la Revolution to 1090.
>
>Renumber Rule 1317 Codex of Kra to 1310.
>
>Renumber Rule 1311 If we don't need gravity, we'd better have pressure to
>1312.
>
>Renumber Rule 1309 We don't need Gravity to 1311.
>
>Renumber Rule 1319 Round Earth Restoration Society to 1315.
>
>In Rule 2290 Flat Earth Preservation Society, replace the first occurance
>in the third paragraph of the phrase Round Earth Restoration Society with
>the phrase Flat Earth Preservation Society.  Also replace all occurances
>of the the string R1319 with R1315.  Then renumber Rule 2290 to 1316.
>
>Renumber Rule 1320 This is the way the world ends to 1317.
>
>Renumber Rule 1313 Tornado to 1320.
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:04:29 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 120

> Oh, I object!  That mess in R2290 was the only reason I voted for it.
> What better way to preserve the Earth's beloved flatness?

I object to this CSR as well.  My reasoning is completely different :-)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:13:49 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

> Well, I was under the impression that we had two weeks to vote on
> Internomic proposals.  This is the voting period as defined in Internomic
> itself, however, so I guess it probably doesn't hold sway here.  What *is*
> the voting period for an Internomic proposal here then?  Where is it
> defined in the rules?  

I believe it is defined to be one week, with a grace period of 3 days to
report the results.  Check the rules between 1000 and 1099.  I note that
the rule in question requires a speaker-appointed player to  report the
vote, but the rule that calls the procedure (419.2), requires the senate
to report the vote, and has precedence via the numerical method, assuming
precedence is not broken; that is why I have been reading it as the senate'e
problem.

> I think you are right that those of us who didn't vote will be in Contempt, 
> so we need to figure out who voted before the deadline.

Yep, that would be the senate's problem to determine that, I suppose.

> I agree that Institutions do not work very well.  Even the PCI, which was
> conceived as an organization that only people who were genuinely
> interested in voting on INPs would join, seems to suffer from a great deal
> of apathy.  Indeed, while I am not sure I would want to go so far as
> removing Institutions entirely, I would very much like to see this joint
> PCI/Senate thing go away.  The PCI has been in effect for, what, two
> months, and has only attracted 3 members.

Why not just make the thing a hearing?  Those who are interested will vote,
and no quorum is required.  The advantage is that it is not so complex, it
is well understood what length of the voting period is and who is to tabulate
and report the results, etc.  Institutions seem a more complex way to do a
simple thing, and don't seem to do anything else except put people in contempt.

Perhaps I will propose switching the internomic thing from institutions to
hearings tonite, and we'll see how it works.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

> I believe it is defined to be one week, with a grace period of 3 days to
> report the results.  Check the rules between 1000 and 1099.

<plug>
Or, you can go to the Rules By Category page and look under "Internomic".
</plug>

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:44:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 120

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Oh, I object!  That mess in R2290 was the only reason I voted for it.
> > What better way to preserve the Earth's beloved flatness?
> 
> I object to this CSR as well.  My reasoning is completely different :-)
> 
> Malenkai
> 

Very well.  As two players have objected, this CSR will not go into
effect.  I will perhaps try spliting it up some and giving it another go
sometime soon.

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:48:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > I believe it is defined to be one week, with a grace period of 3 days to
> > report the results.  Check the rules between 1000 and 1099.
> 
> <plug>
> Or, you can go to the Rules By Category page and look under "Internomic".
> </plug>
> 
> breadbox
> 
> 

<bug>
The Rules by category link on the main page doesn't work.
</bug>

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:49:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 120

> Very well.  As two players have objected, this CSR will not go into
> effect.  I will perhaps try spliting it up some and giving it
> another go sometime soon.

I might point out that CSR 120 would not have changed the fact that
the Earth is hemispherical and going to stay that way. The Round Earth
Society has already reattached the northerm hemisphere, and the Flat
Earth Society has already cut loose the southern hemisphere. "A rule
change cannot have a retroactive effect."

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Well, I was under the impression that we had two weeks to vote on
> > Internomic proposals.  This is the voting period as defined in Internomic
> > itself, however, so I guess it probably doesn't hold sway here.  What *is*
> > the voting period for an Internomic proposal here then?  Where is it
> > defined in the rules?  
> 
> I believe it is defined to be one week, with a grace period of 3 days to
> report the results.  Check the rules between 1000 and 1099.  I note that
> the rule in question requires a speaker-appointed player to  report the
> vote, but the rule that calls the procedure (419.2), requires the senate
> to report the vote, and has precedence via the numerical method, assuming
> precedence is not broken; that is why I have been reading it as the senate'e
> problem.
> 

Ah yes, it's part of the Institutions rule.  I was pretty sure you were
right, once you pointed out my mistake, I just couldn't remember why...

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

>> <plug>
>> Or, you can go to the Rules By Category page and look under "Internomic".
>> </plug>
> 
> <bug>
> The Rules by category link on the main page doesn't work.
> </bug>

The link marked "Rules by Hundreds" actually goes to a page that has
all of my rule-related links, including Rules by Category.

Unfortunately, Alfvaen mistyped the URL to it on the main page, so
there's nothing I can do about that until he returns.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPI

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> >> <plug>
> >> Or, you can go to the Rules By Category page and look under "Internomic".
> >> </plug>
> > 
> > <bug>
> > The Rules by category link on the main page doesn't work.
> > </bug>
> 
> The link marked "Rules by Hundreds" actually goes to a page that has
> all of my rule-related links, including Rules by Category.
> 
> Unfortunately, Alfvaen mistyped the URL to it on the main page, so
> there's nothing I can do about that until he returns.
> 
> breadbox
> 
> 

Ah, neat.  As it happens, the on Internomic voting that I was looing for
is Rule 1001 of all things. It isn't listed under Internomic, but I can
hardly blame you for that. :)

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:21:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Contempt

Well.  By my reading of Rule 1001, all members of PCI and the Senate as
of, um, sometime on Sept 27th are in contempt.  I'm afraid I don't have
the exact time that the voting period began.  I am sure, however, that it
was on the 17th.  We thus had until the 24th to conduct the vote, and the
27th to report it.  When the vote was not reported on Sept 27th, all
current memebers of the Senate and PCI were placed in contempt.  This
might include ThinMan, I honestly don't know.  The Contempt rule doesn't
really explain how one beomces "held in contempt."  Rule 1001 seems to
have "placed" us in Contempt when our reporting dealine ran out on the
27th.  I am not really sure if this is the same thing, or if there are
supposed to be CFCJs or something on the matter.  If it is the same thing,
then we have the 3 days after our deadline ran out to choose to either pay
A$100 or go to Gaol, two days of which have already passed.  I am
declaring hearby choosing to pay A$100 rather than go to Gaol.

                              - Senator Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Contempt

> The Contempt rule doesn't really explain how one beomces "held in
> contempt."  Rule 1001 seems to have "placed" us in Contempt when our
> reporting dealine ran out on the 27th.  I am not really sure if this
> is the same thing, or if there are supposed to be CFCJs or something
> on the matter.

No CFCJs are involved. You are held in Contempt from the moment that
Rule 1001 placed you in Contempt until you pay the fine or are
released from Gaol.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:16:57 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka wiz

##SIGSTART  If you see this text, tell me!  You shouldn't!  Thanks.

just to let you know wiz.
- - Karma

Also I announced on the 18 of september that R. Sevin was in gaol, other
than keeping track of how many days he's been in Gaol, I don't know how
long his Gaoltime is to be, nor do I understand why Malenkai repeadetly
mentions that (to paraphrase)"I believe the Gaoler has a duty here." Would
someone please explain? I sent a message yesterday that went unanswered. As
far as the duties mentioned in the Gaoler rule, I'm suposed to announce
when a player is placed in gaol, and looking at past messages, the amount
of gaoltime has been furnished when the sentence is doled out. I'd like to
be the best Gaoler I can, so could you explain the part I'm not doing?

- - Karma (Gaoler) 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: re acka wiz

> Also I announced on the 18 of september that R. Sevin was in gaol, other
> than keeping track of how many days he's been in Gaol, I don't know how
> long his Gaoltime is to be, nor do I understand why Malenkai repeadetly
> mentions that (to paraphrase)"I believe the Gaoler has a duty here."

Malenkai only said that once; someone else quoted that part of his
email, which is why I think you saw it twice.

> Would someone please explain? I sent a message yesterday that went
> unanswered. As far as the duties mentioned in the Gaoler rule, I'm
> suposed to announce when a player is placed in gaol,

Actually, what you are supposed to announce is the number of the cell
the player has been placed in, and a brief description of what it
looks like.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:48:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: re acka wiz

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Michael James wrote:

> ##SIGSTART  If you see this text, tell me!  You shouldn't!  Thanks.
> 
> just to let you know wiz.
> - Karma
> 
> Also I announced on the 18 of september that R. Sevin was in gaol, other
> than keeping track of how many days he's been in Gaol, I don't know how
> long his Gaoltime is to be, nor do I understand why Malenkai repeadetly
> mentions that (to paraphrase)"I believe the Gaoler has a duty here." Would
> someone please explain? I sent a message yesterday that went unanswered. As
> far as the duties mentioned in the Gaoler rule, I'm suposed to announce
> when a player is placed in gaol, and looking at past messages, the amount
> of gaoltime has been furnished when the sentence is doled out. I'd like to
> be the best Gaoler I can, so could you explain the part I'm not doing?
> 
> - Karma (Gaoler) 
> 

I'm no expert on Gaol, but I'll do what I can.  Anyone who is held in
contempt, as Robert Sevin was and a number of us are soon to be, has 3
days from the time he was held in contempt to decide if he wants to pay
A$100 or go to Gaol.  If he goes to Gaol, his sentence is 3 days.  I think
the important part of your job (grin) is to announce to us what cell he is
in, and describe the cell.  You're also allowed to collect bribes to
release people early, I think. :)

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:55:27 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate

The following have volunteered for the two open senate seats.
Each player gets one vote; the top two vote-getters get a seat.

Voting lasts for 3 days.

Balsamic Dragon
mr cwm
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:05:51 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka gaol

the important part of your job (grin) is to announce to us what cell he is
in, and describe the cell.  You're also allowed to collect bribes to
release people early, I think. :)

This is an excerpt from a message posted on the 18 of september. "Robert
Sevin is placed in Gao;, It's Gaol colored"
 I see where my faux pas is now. I didn't include the cell #, only a
description. Am I correct in deriving that the  gaol message didn't work,
as I forgot to place a cell # along with the description? If so, Je suis un
bouffon! It seems pointless to make a cell # now (R. Sevin, in my mind at
least, has been in gaol for 19 days!) and he hasn't posted more than the
alotted messages a gaolbird could post mail, so it could work. Some one
mentioned 3 days as a sentence for the crime. If this is correct I will go
ahead with the proceedings of the other guilty criminals who haven't posted
their gail, and I will rid Ackanomia of all common criminals. Burden to
society... etc.
 - karma (gaoler)

- - Karma

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #320
*******************************