Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #315
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest     Thursday, September 25 1997     Volume 02 : Number 315

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:16:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mail

At 07:57 PM 9/24/97 -0900, you wrote:
>As of this very moment I am asking the postmaster to remove me from all of
>Ackanomic mailing list (don't forget those silly x-approval lists).  I
>agree with with Guy Fawkes that Ackanomic has degenerated into an unsocial
>game.  I consider there no reason for me to observe anymore.
>
>Frinds, Cnh, Barry, Guy (if youre reading this) and the rest of you ---
>Please keep in touch.  You're the reason I stayed so long.
>
>Phil
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:18:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mail

At 07:57 PM 9/24/97 -0900, you wrote:
>As of this very moment I am asking the postmaster to remove me from all of
>Ackanomic mailing list (don't forget those silly x-approval lists).  I
>agree with with Guy Fawkes that Ackanomic has degenerated into an unsocial
>game.  I consider there no reason for me to observe anymore.
>
>Frinds, Cnh, Barry, Guy (if youre reading this) and the rest of you ---
>Please keep in touch.  You're the reason I stayed so long.
>
>Phil
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 22:31:00 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : ETP objections

Brian Raiter wrote:

> You know what *I* would like to see? I'd like to see an Entity
> Transfer Protocol that only worked with Trinkets! (Does Pumpkin Patch
> have Trinket-equivalents?) That's a narrow enough case that I could
> feel less worried about the seriousness of overlooked bugs in the
> first draft of the Rule, and yet it's broad enough to certainly be
> non-trivial. I mean, Trinkets already have 1) names, and 2) values in
> Ackadollars. There's a host of potential obstacles in those two things
> already.

Sounds good.

I am creating a trinket named "G" worth 1 A$ with the following 
description:

"A sterling example of Ackan letter product technology, created with the 
latest techniques in alphaculture. We do not need care packages from the 
Patch. We are self-sufficient."

OK. I'm ready. (Wonder if the patchkins will take it as genuine.)

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 03:33:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Some much needed advice

I am creating a trinket worth A$30, it's name is "Beware the Forbidden
Fruit!" (sans quotation marks).  It's description is first paragraph
below.

A cornucopia full of succulent fruits, vegetables, and the like.  Thre are
many delicious apples, bananas, grapes, tomatos, ears of corn, squash,
peas, pears, and kiwis within, but BEWARE!  Look closely!!  Don't they all
have a slightly ORANGE tint to them?!?  I think they do, in fact, I'm
almost certain of it!  This is must be a tool of the Orange Menace!  Many
are the poor souls who have had their precious bodily fluids tainted
through such seemingly innocent means!!!!  Woe unto anyone who partakes of
this fruit, and woe unto those misguided, if not outright evil, Agents of
Orange who have poisoned it.

I am giving this trinket to our President, Alfvaen.  It is my hope that he
will take the message it bears to heart, and improve his abysmal record
against the Orange to date.  I also request that he place it within the
Cabinet, so that neither he nor any of those who follow him in the
struggle against Orange will ever forget it's insidious nature.

                            - Senator Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 22:44:18 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Metamorph

I would like to join Metamorph. Very little new creative material has 
entered the rule set in quite some time it seems. Certainly I don't 
agree with every proposal Niccolo Flychuck writes, but at least he is 
tries to put new blood in the rules. Also, after the fall of Munchkin 
Haven and the disarray of Harf, (well, nothing new there...) I think 
there is room for another good old fashioned, non-Vulcan party. And I 
hope this one is the right one for me.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:35:39 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Decision

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > I note that, as a result of this decision, Malenkai, the creator of
> > the rules of Ackanomic, must spend A$25 to add some murals to the
> > walls of the Gaol. We look forward to reading their descriptions in
> > the near future.
> 
> The murals?  Of course.  Description: "They are green".
> 
> Malenkai

But not a real green mural, that's cruel.

**two-star

(see p1546, folks.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:52:52 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Just a show about nuthin'

I am creating 100 Null Gadgets, providing the necessary raw materials, 
which is 0 * 100 PCs.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:44:52 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mail

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> As of this very moment I am asking the postmaster to remove me from all of
> Ackanomic mailing list (don't forget those silly x-approval lists).  I
> agree with with Guy Fawkes that Ackanomic has degenerated into an unsocial
> game.  I consider there no reason for me to observe anymore.
> 
> Frinds, Cnh, Barry, Guy (if youre reading this) and the rest of you ---
> Please keep in touch.  You're the reason I stayed so long.
> 
> Phil

I hereby nominate Mr Lunatic Fringe for the Hall of ...
never mind.

I still have some hope for Ackanomic. It seems to me that Acka's best 
times have been when there were large numbers of proposals being made 
which caused lots of discussion on how they should be fixed or why they 
should not be passed, or how to scam them after they've passed. 
Certainly the proposal queue is too empty lately; I expect I'll get off 
my butt and do something about it. Also too many of the current players 
are either fairly new or slumbering, and either situation makes it 
harder to be social. But the harf lives, (if the harfmeister would stop 
hogging it,) peeping out of the snow like a daffodil in February, always 
there, even when we have forgotten.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:52:41 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : ETP objections

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > The Synod then notifies the receiving nomic, or the player/entity
> > within that nomic whose job it is to imprt entities.
> 
> Shouldn't they be going through the other nomic's Liaison in
> Internomic first? Contacting the other nomic directly seems like it
> would require knowing something about the other nomic's current rules
> and game state, or at least more than ought to be necessary.

Elsewhere in the same proposal it was stated that if there is any doubt as
to the the entity serving as Customs Officer n another nomic is, that
nomic's Liasion will be asked, and the Liasion's answer will  be accepted
as the official answer of that nomic. In fact, I think that's a good idea
for anything that has to do with internomic relations.

 > 
> > The transfer does not take place until it has been both an official
> > anuncement has been made both by in Ackanomic and in the receiving
> > nomic that the transfer is being made.
> 
> If I parse this correctly, this seems like it would require the Synod
> to be subscribed to the other nomic's mailing list (or whatever).
> Otherwise how could they know that this requirement had been
> fulfilled?

This could be replaced by a confirmation from the other nomic (see above)

> 
> > b. If the entity does not meet the import criteria the Synod must
> > reject the transfer.
> 
> I haveno idea what "the import criteria" refers to here. It's not
> mentioned anywhere else in the proposal. I mean, this is obviously a
> critical point in the import process, so it should be clearer where
> the Synod is going to get its criteria.

It was specified in the proposal. Having a valid entity profile is an both
an import and export criterion.  Being tradeable was an export criterion,
and assumed for imported entities.
 > 
> > c. The Synod may ammend a short prefix to the name of an imported
> > entity to avoid breaking the rules of Ackanomic
> 
> "Amend" a short prefix? I would guess you meant "append", except
> "append" means to attach to the end, which is usually not something
> you do with prefixes. So I guess you meant either "append a short
> suffix" or "prepend a short prefix".

Right. I meant prepend. This is intended to solve the naming collision you
mention later in your post.  Would you prefer "..to avoid breaking the
naming rules of Ackanomic"

> 
> > e. Within 7 days of receiving the notification, the Synod must take
> > one of the following public actions:
> >   (i) Accept the entity. [...]
> >   (ii) Publically post a recommandation as to accepting/rejecting the
> >        entity. In this case, an Import Hearing is called. [...]
> > f. Rejection of an entity transfer does not require any special action,
> 
> I can see what the intent was here, but the way it's worded the Synod
> doesn't appear to have the option of rejecting it outright. Clause f

Of course it has the option. It can just declare that it's rejecting the
transfer. Not requiring any special action simply makes rejectionthe
default so a lazy Synod wouldn't import potentially dangerous entities.
Where does it say it can't take any action for rejection? it just says
it's not required to.

> 
> Besides these issues (both minor and major), I have to ask: why the
> Synod? I mean, since this rule can only apply to nomics that are
> members of Internomic, why not use the Liaison? At least as the
> starting point. This would simplify a lot of the nomic-to-nomic
> communications. The Liaisons already have to deal with each other
> anyway.

Personal prefference. I don't think the Liasion should be dealing with
trade. I prefer an Institution would do this. The work divides among the
members of the Institutios, it doesn't depend on a single player. 
I don't want to create a new Office for this.

 > 
> But anyway, my biggest feeling against it is that it's the cart coming
> before the horse. I would first like to see how the ETP Rule Suite
> would look 
That's what this proposal was about. Can't have an ETP rule suite without
ETP.

>- for example, would it have special precedence protection
> to guard against a Trojan Horse?
Rule Suites already do. I'm open to suggestions.

> I'd first like to see what the Entity
> Behavior Rules would look like for some of our more interesting
> entities.(Or even some of the boring ones.) I'd first like to see
> some Entity Behavior Rules of some potential imports - definitely! And
> also to know what sort of criteria the Synod (or whoever) would be
> using to decide what was okay to import.

Judgement and Common Sense.

> 
> You know what *I* would like to see? I'd like to see an Entity
> Transfer Protocol that only worked with Trinkets! (Does Pumpkin Patch

I proposes Pipes some time ago which would have achieved something
similar, and it was rejected.

> it?) Or maybe they should be able to destroy Trinkets for their native
> legal tender. Which is what? Letters?

Since the A$ created from Trinket destruction don't come from the
Treasury, this would be an option.  Just as valid an option as destroying
Trinkets for their own currency. Either of them would work.

Should an Entity Profile written for an entity bind all future transfer of
entities of the same class? In my proposal this was left up tot he Entity
Profile writer, but I think re-use should be encouraged.

> 
> And then there's namespace collision
This one was part of the proposal, and in fact a part of every proposal I
made in the same context.

> exchange rates (26 different exchange rates?), 
We only need one exchange rate - with Internomic. Internomic doesn't need
to actually have a currency, only an index. However, it is non-trivial to
set up an exchange rate between integer currencies that can't taken
advantage of to create currency out of thin air. Furthermore, exchange
rates only work when exchanges take place, and that's why I think we
should drop the concept of exchange rates all together and take barter as
our model. This is basically what we do in Acka where Trinkets and
Foreheads go for much higher than their creation value. The barter model
is that we pay whatever we think something is worth to us.

 > threats of inflation,
> threats of deflation 
Both of which only happen in real economy. Something which may be
considered worthless in one nomic, may be treasured by citizens of another
nomic.

>... If we could get a working TTP in place, and
> functioning relatively efficiently and bug-free in eight weeks, I for
> one would be seriously impressed.

I think writing Entity Profiles would be putting the cart before the
horse. You need a framework before you can put something in it, and the
framwork I suggested would not have created an immediate flood of imports.

I hope you won't vote against my next proposal just because it names the
Synod :)
This is still my prefferable implementation. We might as well the
Institutions we have.

Niccolo Flychuck

> This is why I think your ETP proposal was just too ambitious at this
> point. (That and the missing words and typos that Rule 340 couldn't fix
> up automatically.)
> 
> breadbox
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:10:07 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : returning Church property

I am transferring back the Church of Odo everything it transferred to me
during the voting period of proposal 2283 (That was the one that was
supposed to nuke Organizations).

As Church Founder, I acknowledge and accept all the entities, and thank
for returning them.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:16:31 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : non-voting

I am changing my status to non-voting

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:19:03 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule 257

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> The following players are AWOL and did not respond to a rule
> 257 query.  Those who are pending should be removed from the
> game, those who are non-voting placed on vacation.  If Whiz
> is pending, then the Church of Odo on the Wormhole is defunct.

Actually it would become a Cult. 
But this would mean that my transfer may fail anyway.

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> > Ace Rimmer
> > AZTEC G0D
> > Dread Pirate Roberts
> > fnord
> > ILIOS
> > Whiz
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:20:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Just a show about nuthin'

two-star wrote:
> I am creating 100 Null Gadgets, providing the necessary raw materials, 
> which is 0 * 100 PCs.

I don't think this works -- aren't you limited to one at a time.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:17:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: In Hong Kong, a Paradox Win CFJ

  It has come to my attention that, over the summer, a minor court case in
Hong Kong, involving a stolen watch, escalated into a trial over whether there
was any law in Hong Kong at all.  (It was, fortunately, decided there was).
Thought this might be of interest.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule 257

> The following players are AWOL and did not respond to a rule
> 257 query.  Those who are pending should be removed from the
> game, those who are non-voting placed on vacation.  If Whiz
> is pending, then the Church of Odo on the Wormhole is defunct.
> 
>> Ace Rimmer
>> AZTEC G0D
>> Dread Pirate Roberts
>> fnord
>> ILIOS
>> Whiz

ILIOS was pending, thus he is removed from the game.

Ace Rimmer, AZTEC G0D, Dread Pirate Roberts, fnord, and Whiz were all
non-voting players. Our new rule 257 thus puts them on vacation.

This is interesting. I believe that originally non-voting players
could not put themselves on vacation. (Did that change?) In any case,
nothing prevents Rule 257 from putting them on vacation, and Rule 255
ensures that if any of them ever return, they will become non-voting
once again.

I know that this doesn't matter to most people, but it does mean that
Alfvaen and I need to start treating "on vacation" as another player
attribute, so to speak, rather than as a player state as Rule 254 has
it.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:33:26 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Vacation

Okay, I'm done all the harfing I can do for now, which is to say up until
last night's digests.  And my putting myself on Vacation, which I do just
after I appoint Malenkai Acting President in my absence.  My expected date
of return is October 2nd, but I might manage it a couple of days before
then.  If Rex Mundi doesn't want to leap at the chance to take over Guy
Fawkes's Viruses spot, he can have mine.  :-)

And if anything that is up on the web pages is incorrect, let me know; I've
harfed a lot of stuff today(one player leaving the game, three players
being removed, the remnants of SonOfWu's addition, the Tornado...), so I'm
sure I got something wrong somewhere.  I won't be able to fix it until I
get back, but I'd like to at least know then that I should.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Thomas Dolby:Airhead
Current Book--Samuel R. Delany:The Einstein Intersection
It goes without saying that...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:15:48 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Digestion II

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:25:59 +0200 (EET)
> From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
> Subject: acka : is there a Rune Maker

> Did anyone become RuneMaker while I was away. I'm not interested in the
> job myself, I just thought that now that it's more manageable someone
> might have volunteered.

> Of course, there are still some ways to create new Cards without a
> RuneMaker

I think it would still be nice to get the actual frequencies of existing
card-types established first.  (Do we want to still have instance limits as
well?)  I kept meaning to submit something for that, but I've been busy.
Perhaps when I get back.

[Guy Fawkes' departure]

I am saddened by your leaving, but hey, ya gotta move on sometime.  I'm not
ready for the real world myself yet...

(I should note that this leaves a prime Viruses spot unfilled...act soon!)

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:13:33 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Acrostic treasure found (SPOILERS)

> Alfvaen found the Exquisite Dead Guy.

> The full treasure map was to send me the full text and word list from
> the acrostic puzzle I posted, which follows the spoiler space below.

> I hope all who attempted this puzzle enjoyed it. 

> /dev/joe

> SPOILERS

 

 

 

 
 
> SPOILERS

> 

> > Every once in awhile a band comes along that
> > changes the course of human history, and
> > that band is They Might Be Giants.  If you
> > hear only one song this year, there's something
> > terribly wrong with you!

> > a. They Might Be Giants
> > b. Money
> > c. Bono
> > d. Grubby Shoes
> > e. China Grove
> > f. Recorders
> > g. In The Heat of The Night
> > h. Tonight She Comes
> > i. I Am The Walrus
> > j. Changes
> > k. I Want It All
> > l. Noisy Daily
> > m. Tuesday Afternoon
> > n. Runaway
> > o. Oh Henry

So what is this "Critic Intro" that this came from?  Sounds interesting!

Anyway, I didn't actually start work on it until yesterday, finally having
a bit of spare time at work and not having seen anyone else finish it...
Once I got "In The Heat of The Night", and "Tonight She Comes"(although at
first I thought it might be "Why Can't I Have You"), I made fairly steady
progress.  Though I've never heard the song "China Grove"...

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:15:52 -0400
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Tornado

> Based on the scorekeeper's roster and scores reported to
> me as of the equinox, below are the score changes and
> scores from the Tornado.

> As for dangling, I was unable to find an official
> map, and the one I found did not appear to be up to
> date (for example, Vulcan land was not on it).  I
> will leave it to the pragmatism clause to handle
> the dangling, unless someone gives me an accurate 
> list.

Actually, the map should be up-to-date as far as dangling goes, though
still unofficial because I'm not Map-Harfer.  And yes, I haven't put on the
Vulcan land yet.  Call it a protest.  :-)  No, I just forgot about it when
it happened and haven't gotten around to checking Rule 1 yet.  I'll leave
it until I get back.

In any case, the following buildings were dangling:

A2-A4,B3: Museum (dangling)
B1-C2: The Library (dangling)
C3-C6: Ackanomic Afterlife (dangling)
D2-E3: Cow Town (dangling)
D4-E6: The Senate (dangling)
F2-F5: Free Market (dangling)
I5-I6: Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication (dangling)
B4: /dev/house-o-cheese (/dev/joe) (dangling)
B8: Darkavan Tetnne (Calvin N Hobbes) (dangling)
C8: Malenkai's Castle (Malenkai) (dangling)
D7: Temple of the Damned (Crackfoo) (dangling)
E1: AZTEC GOD's house (AZTEC GOD) (dangling)
E8: correspond to a text string consisting of an infinite number of q's (Atilla the Pun) (dangling)
F9: Mohammed's Autumn Hammock (Robert Sevin) (dangling)
G1: Antimatter's house (Antimatter) (dangling)
G3: Xanadu [+ 145m tower "Monument to Futility"] (Guy Fawkes) (dangling)
G6: The House of the Techno-Discordians, Ackanomic Activity Department (AAD) (fnord) (dangling)
H5: Darth Vader's house (Darth Vader) (dangling)
K1: norpan - Cell Block H (norpan) (dangling)
L1: Whiz's house (Whiz) (dangling)
L4: The Pirate Ship Revenge (Dread Pirate Roberts) (dangling)
L5: Ace Rimmer's house (Ace Rimmer) (dangling)
J7: FunkyTown (Niccolo Flychuck) (dangling)
F8: CarsesraC's house (CarsesraC) (dangling)
G7: the Oasis (Chaos) (dangling)
H7: Zone 23 (23 Skidoo) (dangling)
L2: Ben's House of Pain (Ben) (dangling)

Oy vey.

> Sep 22 19:56 EST: -27 SonOfWu: Fall Tornado

If I were you, SonOfWu, I'd use the Crazy French-Scotsman Rule(1129) on
this one!

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:20:40 -0400
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Acka: Rule 257

> The following players are AWOL and did not respond to a rule
> 257 query.  Those who are pending should be removed from the
> game, those who are non-voting placed on vacation.  If Whiz
> is pending, then the Church of Odo on the Wormhole is defunct.

I seem to recall that Whiz became Active before becoming Non-Voting.  That
multiple Whamiol triggering, you know.

> > Ace Rimmer
> > AZTEC G0D
> > Dread Pirate Roberts
> > fnord
> > ILIOS
> > Whiz

So ILIOS is removed from the game, and everyone else is on three-day
vacation.  (Unless that part of the Rule was changed too; I don't think I
have the updated version on my computer yet.  Well, I'll look at it when I
get back.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:33:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Bye-Bye

Darth Vader and Atilla the Pun have been on ice over sixty days, and are
thus removed from the game.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Queen:The Prophet's Song
Current Book--Samuel R. Delany:The Einstein Intersection
A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and <occupant>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:16:45 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Digestion

Having some time to actually respond to things found in digests, rather
than just read and harf them...this is last Friday's, of course, so I'm a
bit behind...:-)

[Onieros's Phoebe post]

I'm not sure if this is an "official" Proposal submission or not.
Hopefully our Promoter has satisfied himself that it was not, but just an
RFC...

> Proposal: Good Ruling Begins at Home
> - ----------------
> A decree is a rule that only applies to entities located in a kaa where
> that decree exists.  Only the player who owns the location may make decrees
> for that location. 

> Any player may create a decree as a public action while on a Kaa of land
> that they own.  This decree takes the physical form of a discus-sized
> basalt-grey rock, with the text of the decree permanently etched on the
> surface.  Decrees are not in effect until they have been tossed into a
> Cosmic Power Pool.  A person may only toss a decree into a Pool on a kaa of
> land that they own, and only while on that kaa of land.

> Cosmic Power Pools come into existance on a kaa the moment the first decree
> is created there, presumably due to the stress on the universe.  Besides
> holding decrees, these pools may contain fish.  When a Cosmic Power Pool is
> created, the player has 3 days to describe it, otherwise it is described as
> "An above-ground over-chlorinated algae-ridden pool, inhabited solely by a
> cheetoh-eating alligator."

So a "cheetoh" is a cross between a Cheeto and a cheetah?  :-)

> The owner of the location may also destroy or alter any and all decrees on
> eir kaa, under the limitation that only one new decree may be created,
> altered, or destroyed per day.  Decrees may only be one sentence in length,
> so that they can fit on the rock.

> No player may win an Ackanomic cycle as a result of a decree.  Ackanomic
> rules and laws always take precedence over decrees.  No ackanomic points or
> dollars may be gained or lost as the result of a decree.

I do like this idea, actually.  I think everybody should have some kind of
power in eir home.  I'm sure there are still loopholes that can be surfed
here, though(too).

> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:11:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Official Disctionaries

> I would like to prevail upon our Web-harfer to select some new official
> dictionaries.  I have a hard time accessing the ones we have now, indeed,
> I had to play out my entire double crash duel without their benefit.  It's
> not a big deal, but it is something I had been meaing to bring up...

>                                  - Vynd

I should see if there is anything better out there(that might not have been
when the ODs were first selected).  Which one has been giving you trouble,
the OSPD one or the gzipped Webster's?  (For the latter, I've been using
one of the dictionaries that came with "crack", because it's got the same
number of lines and I figure it's probably the same one...)  I've thought
that we should just make up our own, but that might be subject to abuse.
("What?  You've never heard of the word 'xqbvp'?  But it's in the Official
Dictionary!  I put it there myself!")

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Queen:The Prophet's Song
Current Book--Samuel R. Delany:The Einstein Intersection
Nothing could be further from the truth than fear itself.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:07:33 -0400
From: Daniel Abraham <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion

At 09:16 AM 9/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
> 
>Having some time to actually respond to things found in digests, rather
>than just read and harf them...this is last Friday's, of course, so I'm a
>bit behind...:-)
>
>[Onieros's Phoebe post]
>
>I'm not sure if this is an "official" Proposal submission or not.
>Hopefully our Promoter has satisfied himself that it was not, but just an
>RFC...
>
>> Proposal: Good Ruling Begins at Home
>> - ----------------
>> A decree is a rule that only applies to entities located in a kaa where
>> that decree exists.  Only the player who owns the location may make decrees
>> for that location. 
>
>> Any player may create a decree as a public action while on a Kaa of land
>> that they own.  This decree takes the physical form of a discus-sized
>> basalt-grey rock, with the text of the decree permanently etched on the
>> surface.  Decrees are not in effect until they have been tossed into a
>> Cosmic Power Pool.  A person may only toss a decree into a Pool on a kaa of
>> land that they own, and only while on that kaa of land.
>
>> Cosmic Power Pools come into existance on a kaa the moment the first decree
>> is created there, presumably due to the stress on the universe.  Besides
>> holding decrees, these pools may contain fish.  When a Cosmic Power Pool is
>> created, the player has 3 days to describe it, otherwise it is described as
>> "An above-ground over-chlorinated algae-ridden pool, inhabited solely by a
>> cheetoh-eating alligator."
>
>So a "cheetoh" is a cross between a Cheeto and a cheetah?  :-)
>
>> The owner of the location may also destroy or alter any and all decrees on
>> eir kaa, under the limitation that only one new decree may be created,
>> altered, or destroyed per day.  Decrees may only be one sentence in length,
>> so that they can fit on the rock.
>
>> No player may win an Ackanomic cycle as a result of a decree.  Ackanomic
>> rules and laws always take precedence over decrees.  No ackanomic points or
>> dollars may be gained or lost as the result of a decree.
>
>I do like this idea, actually.  I think everybody should have some kind of
>power in eir home.  I'm sure there are still loopholes that can be surfed
>here, though(too).

Thanks!  Yup, it's not an official proposal yet, I'm putting it out for
folks to review, so we can pound out the loopholes, and prevent it from
being voted down just because it's too raw.

BTW - this rule would also pave the way to a new Nomic game:  Rule
Skipping.  Two people on adjacent kaas of land hocking decrees at the
other's Pool.  Kind of the Acka version of Tron: Deadly Disks.

Onieros
(Who, if this eventual rule passes, will change his name to Vlad the
Impostor)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:23:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule 257

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> This is interesting. I believe that originally non-voting players
> could not put themselves on vacation. (Did that change?) In any case,
> nothing prevents Rule 257 from putting them on vacation, and Rule 255
> ensures that if any of them ever return, they will become non-voting
> once again.
> 
> I know that this doesn't matter to most people, but it does mean that
> Alfvaen and I need to start treating "on vacation" as another player
> attribute, so to speak, rather than as a player state as Rule 254 has
> it.
> 
> breadbox
> 
> 

What's the difference?

                                     - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:35:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion

Ah, another one of the many messages that I thought was interesting but
deleted while my brain was on automatic pilot.  Many thanks Alfvaen for
reposting it for me. :)

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Daniel Abraham wrote:

> At 09:16 AM 9/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
> > 
> >Having some time to actually respond to things found in digests, rather
> >than just read and harf them...this is last Friday's, of course, so I'm a
> >bit behind...:-)
> >
> >[Onieros's Phoebe post]
> >
> >I'm not sure if this is an "official" Proposal submission or not.
> >Hopefully our Promoter has satisfied himself that it was not, but just an
> >RFC...
> >
> >> Proposal: Good Ruling Begins at Home
> >> - ----------------
> >> A decree is a rule that only applies to entities located in a kaa where
> >> that decree exists.  Only the player who owns the location may make decrees
> >> for that location. 
> >
> >> Any player may create a decree as a public action while on a Kaa of land
> >> that they own.  This decree takes the physical form of a discus-sized
> >> basalt-grey rock, with the text of the decree permanently etched on the
> >> surface.  Decrees are not in effect until they have been tossed into a
> >> Cosmic Power Pool.  A person may only toss a decree into a Pool on a kaa of
> >> land that they own, and only while on that kaa of land.
> >
> >> Cosmic Power Pools come into existance on a kaa the moment the first decree
> >> is created there, presumably due to the stress on the universe.  Besides
> >> holding decrees, these pools may contain fish.  When a Cosmic Power Pool is
> >> created, the player has 3 days to describe it, otherwise it is described as
> >> "An above-ground over-chlorinated algae-ridden pool, inhabited solely by a
> >> cheetoh-eating alligator."
> >
> >So a "cheetoh" is a cross between a Cheeto and a cheetah?  :-)
> >
> >> The owner of the location may also destroy or alter any and all decrees on
> >> eir kaa, under the limitation that only one new decree may be created,
> >> altered, or destroyed per day.  Decrees may only be one sentence in length,
> >> so that they can fit on the rock.
> >
> >> No player may win an Ackanomic cycle as a result of a decree.  Ackanomic
> >> rules and laws always take precedence over decrees.  No ackanomic points or
> >> dollars may be gained or lost as the result of a decree.
> >
> >I do like this idea, actually.  I think everybody should have some kind of
> >power in eir home.  I'm sure there are still loopholes that can be surfed
> >here, though(too).
> 

I like the whole concept.  What decrees can and cannot do, however, needs
more fleshing out.  Personaly, I think their effects shold be limited to
people and things in the Kaa of land in question.  It also should
explicitly say that they don't have the ability to say, alter the rules.
It may or may not be a good idea to make the decrees themselves entities.

> Thanks!  Yup, it's not an official proposal yet, I'm putting it out for
> folks to review, so we can pound out the loopholes, and prevent it from
> being voted down just because it's too raw.
> 
> BTW - this rule would also pave the way to a new Nomic game:  Rule
> Skipping.  Two people on adjacent kaas of land hocking decrees at the
> other's Pool.  Kind of the Acka version of Tron: Deadly Disks.
> 
> Onieros
> (Who, if this eventual rule passes, will change his name to Vlad the
> Impostor)
> 
> 

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 21:57:47 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Just a show about nuthin'

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> two-star wrote:
> > I am creating 100 Null Gadgets, providing the necessary raw materials,
> > which is 0 * 100 PCs.
> 
> I don't think this works -- aren't you limited to one at a time.
> 
> /dev/joe

oops. you're right. This will have to be a very slow scam. I'm creating 
just one then.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:42:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule 257

> This is interesting. I believe that originally non-voting players
> could not put themselves on vacation. (Did that change?) In any case,
> nothing prevents Rule 257 from putting them on vacation, and Rule 255
> ensures that if any of them ever return, they will become non-voting
> once again.

I don't think non-voting players were ever prohibited from going on vacation 
except perhaps in some RFC versions of the non-voting players proposal, and
I don't think this was true even then.  At one time I think I was going to
create separate vacation and pending states for voting and non-voting players,
but I ditched the idea of having non-voting players being able to become
active, and the section of Rule 255 you refer to above handled vacations
just fine in a single state (possibly with a slight rewrite) so I was down
to four player states.  While the officers effectively have six different
(no, eight different, because pending and vacation can happen together too)
player states to keep track of, it fit into the rules best with only four
actual player states.

(the 8 different states are easily represented by 3 flags, which could be
called Voting? Ever-voted? and Vacationing?)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:45:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion II

> [Guy Fawkes' departure]
> 
> I am saddened by your leaving, but hey, ya gotta move on sometime.  I'm not
> ready for the real world myself yet...
> 
> (I should note that this leaves a prime Viruses spot unfilled...act soon!)

I intended to write the rule for joining the game such that a new player
may not join at all after the 10th turn, even when taking over a retired
player's position, but I don't think it needs to be that way, nor does
the rule clearly state that it is so...

> > Sep 22 19:56 EST: -27 SonOfWu: Fall Tornado
> 
> If I were you, SonOfWu, I'd use the Crazy French-Scotsman Rule(1129) on
> this one!

Heh.

SPOILERS for the puzzle in this next section, if you didn't already read
them in Alfvaen's message.

> So what is this "Critic Intro" that this came from?  Sounds interesting!

It's not really a song, but one of several intros that they used on
early recordings of their work, demo tapes, etc.  This and one other such
intro appear on Then.

> Anyway, I didn't actually start work on it until yesterday, finally having
> a bit of spare time at work and not having seen anyone else finish it...
> [...]  Though I've never heard the song "China Grove"...

It's one of those obscure little songs you've probably heard but never knew
the name to, if only because you didn't understand what they were saying.

It's about a small town in Texas (sort of, anyway -- that's where "China
Grove" came from).  I was going to put La Grange in the puzzle too, but
it just didn't fit.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:53:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Malenkai wrote:

>Based on the scorekeeper's roster and scores reported to
>me as of the equinox, below are the score changes and
>scores from the Tornado.
>

[snip]

>Sep 22 19:56 EST: +92 mr cwm: Fall Tornado

>mr cwm              :  124

We need more tornadoes like this!  After a year and a half, I'm finally
in the lead! :)

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #315
*******************************