Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #309
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Friday, September 19 1997      Volume 02 : Number 309

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:04:00 -0400
From: "Daniel & Vivian" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka swing points

After emptying out every last pocket into my hat so that I could sit down
comfortably, I read a few chapters of my Terry Pratchett book, giggled, and
fell into a deep sleep.  Five minutes before my alarm went off, I opened my
eyes, grabbed for my glasses, and noticed that my hat contained more than
just the money, cards, and candy wrappers I had placed there last evening. 
A small red and blue matchbox lay ajar at the bottom of my hat.

"Onieros." it whirred.
"Grzzbt.  Sleep.  Five minnuz." I eloquently replied.
"ONIEROS!" it whizzed.
"GRZZBT!" I mumbled insistently.
Phoebe then rotated her tiny antennae towards my clock radio and dialed up
a full blast of the morning traffic report.  Mercifully, I awoke.
"Onieros," it whirred once again, "I have a revelation for you.  Act upon
it before your Time of the Great Tuba passes."
"'Kay," said I.

"I am bound within a matchbox," quoth she, "and count myself Queen of my
own World.  You can too!  You see, since an infinate number of people and
things can exist in just one location, each location must be infinate in
size.  Now, that could be because things are stacked to an infinate height,
but there is a finite ceiling in our world.  Therefore, the breadth and
width of the land is infinite.  Consider this wisdom, so that you may
rediscover some measure of the greatness of the time of the ancients.  Now
get to work.  And put some pants on."

Inspired by this, I have a proposal to put forth.  However, as Phoebe's
wisdom is for all, I submit it first to the people of Ackanomic.  It is
forged from Phoebe's words and shaped by the ancients.  Let us temper it
with cool reason.

Each person's home is infinate, and therefore, we all rule over a very
large domain.  
This also means that either houses are REALLY big, or the zoning laws are
pretty damned strict.

Proposal: Good Ruling Begins at Home
- ----------------
A decree is a rule that only applies to entities located in a kaa where
that decree exists.  Only the player who owns the location may make decrees
for that location. 

Any player may create a decree as a public action while on a Kaa of land
that they own.  This decree takes the physical form of a discus-sized
basalt-grey rock, with the text of the decree permanently etched on the
surface.  Decrees are not in effect until they have been tossed into a
Cosmic Power Pool.  A person may only toss a decree into a Pool on a kaa of
land that they own, and only while on that kaa of land.

Cosmic Power Pools come into existance on a kaa the moment the first decree
is created there, presumably due to the stress on the universe.  Besides
holding decrees, these pools may contain fish.  When a Cosmic Power Pool is
created, the player has 3 days to describe it, otherwise it is described as
"An above-ground over-chlorinated algae-ridden pool, inhabited solely by a
cheetoh-eating alligator."

The owner of the location may also destroy or alter any and all decrees on
eir kaa, under the limitation that only one new decree may be created,
altered, or destroyed per day.  Decrees may only be one sentence in length,
so that they can fit on the rock.

No player may win an Ackanomic cycle as a result of a decree.  Ackanomic
rules and laws always take precedence over decrees.  No ackanomic points or
dollars may be gained or lost as the result of a decree.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:03:09 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 465 (two-star)

I accept. this is gonna be a toughie.

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> two-star has been picked.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------> Call For Judgment 465
>   Subject: Rule Numbers
> Initiator: ThinMan
> Submitted: 97-09-17 18:12
>     Judge: two-star (selected Sep 17, 1997, 21:32)
> Judgement:
> 
> Statement:
> 
> The action of changing Rule 1's number is forbidden by Rule 1.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 01:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CPPIA Decision

I, breadbox, acting on behalf of the Committee for the Protection,
Preservation, and Integrity of the Arts, and with respect to Rule
1082, Rule 1080, and probably a few other rules, make the following
public annoucement.

On September 9th, Malenkai stated:

    I am creating a Trinket called "rules of Ackanomic", valued at
    A$ 45.  It description is: "it is green".

Also on September 9th, two-star stated:

    It is my belief that the trinket named "rules of Ackanomic",
    created by Malenkai, is utterly without artistic merit....
    [M]y only recourse is to call for Committee for the Protection,
    Preservation, and Integrity of the Arts to investigate the inanity
    of this trinket pursuant to rule 1082.

On September 10th, The Committee for the Protection, Preservation, and
Integrity of the Arts was officially convened. Its members were:
Alfvaen, Balsamic Dragon, breadbox, Calvin N Hobbes, Guy Fawkes, mr
cwm, and Onieros. Having consulted among ourselves, we have come to an
agreement on the matter.

The Committee for the Protection, Preservation, and Integrity of the
Arts has determined that the rules of Ackanomic is the most inane
thing since the whatever it is we're auctioning today.

You can quote me on that.

Reasoning (written by Onieros):

    It has been said that suffering is necessary for art.

    It has also been said, perhaps as a corollary, that it is not easy
    being green.

    Therefore, while is is obvious that this object has suffered for
    its art, it has not yet suffered enough.

Dissenting opinion (written by breadbox):

    Its very simplicity draws the attention to its most important
    feature, namely its name. It exists as a monument erected on the
    border of loophole surfing, marking a point where even Malenkai's
    Loophole may not go.

I note that, as a result of this decision, Malenkai, the creator of
the rules of Ackanomic, must spend A$25 to add some murals to the
walls of the Gaol. We look forward to reading their descriptions in
the near future.

(signed)
The Committee for the Protection, Preservation, and Integrity of the
Arts, now dissolved

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:08:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

At 05:25 PM 9/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>The following players, in addition to losing 5 points, are now in
>possession of a Puppet Head:
>
>Calvin N Hobbes
>/dev/joe
>Guy Fawkes
>Karma
>mr cwm
>Red Barn
>Robert Sevin
>Oneiros
>Vynd
>
>Puppet Heads are regulated by Rule 207.

"Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head."

Or so I've heard it said.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 07:42:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

  Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppet head.
And turn the computer *OFF* before taking out the ROM.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:07:22 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: I am back

I am returning from vacation

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:16:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

argh!

Argh!

ARGH, argh, ARGH, argh, Argh, ARGH, ARGHHHHHHHH!

I was going to ask, "Quorum failure of what?"  I voted on proposals up to
2297 by looking at the web page when I returned from vacation, but was
never mailed any more.  I thought you all were getting pretty slack, but
chalked it up to sorting out the Vulcan thing.  But now I see that there's
a separate mailing list for proposals! ... which explains why I haven't
recieved any, but leaves unanswered the more fundamental question of
"why?"  *Why* do we have this blankety-blank Postal Code with its
hodge-podge of lists???!!! 

- -mr cwm
 who, apparently, is off on his Postal Code kick again

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, breadbox wrote:

>The following players, in addition to losing 5 points, are now in
>possession of a Puppet Head:
>
>Calvin N Hobbes
>/dev/joe
>Guy Fawkes
>Karma
>mr cwm
>Red Barn
>Robert Sevin
>Oneiros
>Vynd
>
>Puppet Heads are regulated by Rule 207.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:49:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

mr cwm wrote after much ARGHing:
> I was going to ask, "Quorum failure of what?"  I voted on proposals up to
> 2297 by looking at the web page when I returned from vacation, but was
> never mailed any more.  I thought you all were getting pretty slack, but
> chalked it up to sorting out the Vulcan thing.  But now I see that there's
> a separate mailing list for proposals! 

There has been a separate mailing list for proposals for more than 6 months
now; it began when the non-voting players stuff was created.  You were on
that list when the lists were moved off of wilma; I don't know how it
happened that you became unsubscribed from it -- maybe the Postmaster can
tell you.

The idea is that the proposals list (called acka-voting) has its reply-to
set to the discussion list, acka-research, so that players who wanted to
play but couldn't stand the email volume could choose not to receive that
mail, and so that non-voting players could ignore both the proposals
and discussion of them.

Back when order ruled, this made sense, but hardly anything makes sense
in Ackanomic these days. ;-)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:15:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> mr cwm wrote after much ARGHing:
> > I was going to ask, "Quorum failure of what?"  I voted on proposals up to
> > 2297 by looking at the web page when I returned from vacation, but was
> > never mailed any more.  I thought you all were getting pretty slack, but
> > chalked it up to sorting out the Vulcan thing.  But now I see that there's
> > a separate mailing list for proposals! 

Heh, this sounds vaguely reminiscent of my first few weeks in Acka.  Ah,
nostalgia.  Just in case you somehow missed it, there was no actually
quorum failure, breadbox made a mistake.

> 
> There has been a separate mailing list for proposals for more than 6 months
> now; it began when the non-voting players stuff was created.  You were on
> that list when the lists were moved off of wilma; I don't know how it
> happened that you became unsubscribed from it -- maybe the Postmaster can
> tell you.
> 
> The idea is that the proposals list (called acka-voting) has its reply-to
> set to the discussion list, acka-research, so that players who wanted to
> play but couldn't stand the email volume could choose not to receive that
> mail, and so that non-voting players could ignore both the proposals
> and discussion of them.
> 
> Back when order ruled, this made sense, but hardly anything makes sense
> in Ackanomic these days. ;-)
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

I blame /dev/joe, who is still, and always will be, the Demon King.

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:38:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

> I was going to ask, "Quorum failure of what?"  I voted on proposals
> up to 2297 by looking at the web page when I returned from vacation,
> but was never mailed any more.  I thought you all were getting
> pretty slack, but chalked it up to sorting out the Vulcan thing.

My apologies, mr cwm. I saw that you re-subscribed yourself to the
mailing lists when you returned from vacation, and I just didn't
notice that you had missed one of them. I will be more careful
about such things in the future.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:32:18 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Decision

Brian Raiter wrote:
> 
> I, breadbox, acting on behalf of the Committee for the Protection,
> Preservation, and Integrity of the Arts, and with respect to Rule
> 1082, Rule 1080, and probably a few other rules, make the following
> public annoucement.

[snip]
Too bad committees can't receive silver moons. This sort of thing makes 
the game worthwhile. I apologize to the CPPIA for any burden I may have 
caused in calling for this deliberation, and promise that I will not 
lightly call for an ad hoc committe again.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:47:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, breadbox wrote:

>My apologies, mr cwm.

None necessary.  This was entirely my own fault - if there's one thing
each of us should do ourselves here, it's read the rules.  But some rules
are just so ... !

>I saw that you re-subscribed yourself to the
>mailing lists when you returned from vacation, and I just didn't
>notice that you had missed one of them. I will be more careful
>about such things in the future.

I don't think that's your responsibility (although I'm sure it would be
appreciated).

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:20:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More new web pages

> *Why* do we have this blankety-blank Postal Code with its
> hodge-podge of lists???!!!

Speaking of which ... I recently finished putting together some
new Postmaster web pages. (Alfvaen, take note.) The URL is
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/post/.

Also, I have brought back to life the highly popular
rules-by-categories page. Truly a must. The URL is
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/rules/rulecat.html.

breadbox
Assistant-Web-Harfer
emacs is my friend

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:11:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official Disctionaries

I would like to prevail upon our Web-harfer to select some new official
dictionaries.  I have a hard time accessing the ones we have now, indeed,
I had to play out my entire double crash duel without their benefit.  It's
not a big deal, but it is something I had been meaing to bring up...

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official Disctionaries

> I would like to prevail upon our Web-harfer to select some new
> official dictionaries.  I have a hard time accessing the ones we
> have now, indeed, I had to play out my entire double crash duel
> without their benefit.  It's not a big deal, but it is something I
> had been meaing to bring up...

Hm. What problems do you have trying to access them?

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retracting Proposal 2305

#retract 2305
#end

I am hereby retracting proposal 2305, and acknowledge the two-point
penalty for doing so.

The rule change it proposed is somewhat pointless, and would probably
only cause problems if it was ever actually invoked. (BTW, I apologize
if anyone felt it was directed at them; it honestly wasn't intended to
be.)

Instead, I'm going to dust off my old Spelling Exchequer proposal and
give it another try. Now that I'm actually the Promoter (who would
have guessed?), I can probably make the implementation much
simpler....

breabox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:01:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Retracting Proposal 2305

> Instead, I'm going to dust off my old Spelling Exchequer proposal and
> give it another try. Now that I'm actually the Promoter (who would
> have guessed?), I can probably make the implementation much
> simpler....

I don't know if the previous proposal had this, but if that office is
created, it makes sense to move the power to pick the OD and fly the
spelling bee from the web-harfer to that office.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Retracting Proposal 2305

>> Instead, I'm going to dust off my old Spelling Exchequer proposal and
>> give it another try. Now that I'm actually the Promoter (who would
>> have guessed?), I can probably make the implementation much
>> simpler....
> 
> I don't know if the previous proposal had this, but if that office is
> created, it makes sense to move the power to pick the OD and fly the
> spelling bee from the web-harfer to that office.

It had the latter. Both are good ideas, though I think it would be
better to just extend the powers to let the Exchequer also use them,
since it's only an optional office.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:31:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quorum failure

>The following players, in addition to losing 5 points, are now in
>possession of a Puppet Head:
>
>Calvin N Hobbes

"Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head."

CnH

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #309
*******************************