Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #302
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest     Saturday, September 13 1997     Volume 02 : Number 302

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:57:48 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Big White Gazette, Special Edition

The Big White Gazette
"Wasting Bandwidth For A Couple of Months Now"

In our dedication to continuing coverage of treasure hunts and stuff like
that, we bring you the reports on the first round of the "Fantasy
Billboard" treasure:

So far there are two Ackanomian contestants, /dev/joe with his label
"Godel Escher Bach", and Vynd with "Sonic Vynd".  Alfvaen, though
ineligible for the treasure, has two record labels, "Azpiazu Records" and
"Temple of Azpiazu Records", and we include his results here merely for
comparison.

After one week:

Sonic Vynd--rank 523, 1212 points
Temple of Azpiazu Records--rank 629, 1153 points
Godel Escher Bach--rank 843, 906 points
Azpiazu Records--rank 873, 814 points

Comments: Vynd does well because of his astuteness in choosing Jamiroquai
and Beck's current albums, which, despite their lengthy tenure on
the charts, have surged due to their recent MTV Awards appearances,
as well as the new Oasis album, and Smash Mouth's "Fush Yu Mang",
which has been climbing steadily for weeks.  However, he also picks
two Heatseekers which fail to chart, which bring down his score.
(Although picking the Barenaked Ladies live album "Rock Spectacle" is
entirely understandable.)  Also, the fact that the current #1 album,
"Ghetto D" by Master P, rose from last week's #137 position, garnering
over 500 points alone, has shut out anyone who didn't choose it from the
top rankings.  /dev/joe also suffers from having chosen "Rock Spectacle",
and several other lower entries in the Top 200 that are likely to move
down and drop off the chart in the weeks to come.

The Big White Gazette would like to remind those who have not entered that
there is still time, since neither /dev/joe nor Vynd seem likely to rise
into the Top 50 in the next three weeks.  That URL again is:

http://www.mpn.com/bb-tools/dispatch-meta/fantasy?SRC=index.htm

And Alfvaen reiterates his offer to provide through email any material
required to play for those without web access.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pete Townshend:All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes
Current Book--Damon Knight:CV
Put your money where your foot is

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:59:36 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Big White Gazette, Special Edition

You musn't forget Harfy Lunatic Fringe Records, which is sompeting against
Sonic Vynd and Godel Escher Bach even though it cannot win the treasure
hunt (oh, how it sucks to be dead).

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:23:57 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Winds of Change

> I am building a gimme shelter.  It will be done in 3 days.

This is done.  Bidding now proceeds as described in the rules.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 20:03:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: the Patch

Does anyone know where the rules to The Pumpkin Patch might be found?  I'm
interested in seeing what all this buisness about moving outo our side of
the Earth is all about.

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 01:27:02 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: the Patch

> Does anyone know where the rules to The Pumpkin Patch might be found? 
I'm
> interested in seeing what all this buisness about moving outo our side of
> the Earth is all about.
> 
http://www.concentric.net/~Bkruse/pumprule.html

You're welcome,
Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:57:19 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: the Patch

>> Does anyone know where the rules to The Pumpkin Patch might be found?
>I'm
>> interested in seeing what all this buisness about moving outo our side of
>> the Earth is all about.
>>
>http://www.concentric.net/~Bkruse/pumprule.html
>
>You're welcome,
>Rex Mundi.

Close.. But no cigar.  The correct URl is
http://members.aol.com/capnoni/pumpkin/index.htm

Brandon left the game so Oni has placed herself in charge of keeping the
rules up-to-date.  Considering the general patch support for inneficiency,
she is doing a wonderful job.

er, Phil
patch out

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #302
*******************************