Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #295
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Tuesday, September 9 1997      Volume 02 : Number 295

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:19:09 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: No mail?

Are you guys suddenly all quiet?  I got no Acka mail at all last night
- -- not a single message since 17:30 (CDT).  If you've been saying
anything, what was it?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:22:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: No mail?

ThinMan wrote:
> Are you guys suddenly all quiet?  I got no Acka mail at all last night
> -- not a single message since 17:30 (CDT).  If you've been saying
> anything, what was it?

Heh. I was out last night, from 7 (EDT) to almost midnight, and when I got
back I tried to dial up and check my mail but my ISP had some problem...
Turns out I would have gotten through and found no acka mail anyway...

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:28:48 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: No mail?

> ThinMan wrote:
> > Are you guys suddenly all quiet?  I got no Acka mail at all last night
> > -- not a single message since 17:30 (CDT).  If you've been saying
> > anything, what was it?

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I started classes (at night, in
addition to work, sigh) this week.  I think everyone's catching up with
their real world stuff, now that the crisis is over.  Is the crisis over? 
I've only had time to skim the last couple of days...

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:43:08 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: No mail?

Balsamic Dragon wrote:

> Well, I don't know about you guys, but I started classes (at night, in
> addition to work, sigh) this week.  I think everyone's catching up
> with
> their real world stuff, now that the crisis is over.  Is the crisis
> over? 
> I've only had time to skim the last couple of days...
> 
In Acka, the crisis is never over :^)

Seriously, we are past the messiest of recent and likely near-future
events.  The recent CFJs are being settled, and will eventually
determine just exactly what the game state currently is.  Vulcan no
longer has dictatorial power in any thread.  The only rules in
question are rule 1, which has little, if any, effect on general
Ackanomic play, and rule 719, the loophole in which is only patched
in one thread.  We can work around the R719 loophole if no one appeals
any Zuriti'ili CFCJ until we fix the hole by proposal (Justices may
not appeal CFJs themselves).

And I'm pretty sure now that the mailing list is working.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:49:06 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Name Space Reservation

I am creating a Trinket called "rules of Ackanomic", valued at
A$ 45.  It description is: "it is green".

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:49:54 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 452 Verdict

CFJ 452 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 452
  Subject: The organization Vulcan
Initiator: ThinMan
    Judge: Balsamic Dragon (failed to deliver verdict)
2nd Judge: Malenkai (assigned Sept 05, 1997, 21:23h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The organization named "The organization Vulcan" was at no time
empowered by the rules to change the rules.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

IF CFJ 450 is judged true, then this CFJs statement is trivially
true.  We will assume, therefore, that CFJ 450 is judged False.

In that case, there is or was a rule 1, entitled "Let's be Clear
About This," which was created on August 26th.  The entire text of this
rule 1 is:

        The organization Vulcan is empowered to, as an organizational
        action, make any change whatsoever to the rules or game state.

        If ever this rule's number is not 1, its number is immediately
        changed to 1.

        This rule takes precedence over all other rules except rule
        101.

Late August 27th, Alfvaen created an organization named "The
organization Vulcan" and attempted to have it invoke rule 1 to make
several changes to the rules.  I claim that rule 1 never empowered the
organization The organization Vulcan to do any such thing.

I assert that between the creation of rule 1 and the creation of the
organization The organization Vulcan [membership: Alfvaen], rule 1
permitted the organization Vulcan [membership: /dev/joe, Malenkai,
ThinMan, Vynd] to make changes to the rules as an organizational
action.  This was the only reasonable interpretation of the rule that
attributed any meaning whatsoever to the first clause.  All public
opinion appeared to agree with this interpretation, which constitutes
about as much game custom as can be ascribed to a new rule.

After Alfvaen created the organization The organization Vulcan
[membership: Alfvaen], there were four possible interpretations of
rule 1:

(1) Rule 1 did not permit either organization to make changes to the
    rules.

(2) Rule 1 permitted both organizations to make changes to the rules.

(3) Rule 1 permitted only the organization The organization Vulcan
    [membership: Alfvaen] to change the rules.

(4) Rule 1 permitted only the organization Vulcan [membership:
    /dev/joe, Malenkai, ThinMan, Vynd] to change the rules.

I do not think interpretation (1) is supportable, but it would
indicate a verdict of True anyway.

The most interesting question, I think, is whether interpretation (2)
is reasonable.  I say not.  I argue that the words "The organization
Vulcan" in rule 1 specify a single organization; the rule is open to
interpretation about which organization it specifies, but a single
interpretation (one of (3) or (4)) must be chosen [hence this CFJ].
My further remarks assume that interpretation (2) is incorrect.

For this CFJ to be judged False implies, then, that the simple creation
of the organization The organization Vulcan [membership: Alfvaen]
caused the correct interpretation of Rule 1 to change.  I find it a
dangerous concept that a change in the game state could, in effect,
actuate a change in the Rules, and I hope that the court will find this
an unreasonable interpretation.  If so, then this CFJ is True.

Even if the Court judges that it is _possible_ for the creation of
Alfvaen's organization to change the interpretation of rule 1, however,
the Court must still determine whether it actually did so.  Given the
text of rule 1, and two organizations, one named "Vulcan" and predating
the creation of the rule and one named "The organization Vulcan" and
having been created after the rule, to which organization does the rule
then apply?  Even if it were _possible_ that a change in the game state
potentially could, in general, effect a change in the interpretation of
the rules, I see no compelling reason why it should do so in this case.
Lacking such reason, I argue that no change of the correct
interpretation occured, and thus that this CFJ is True.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

CFJ 450 has been judged FALSE, and I find it unlikely, if not impossible,
that that CFJ will be appealed and judged TRUE.  Hence we are left with
ThinMan's 4 interpretations, as I do not find any other ones reasonable
enough to consider.  Moreover, I agree with the general thought that (1)
and (2) are unreasonable as well as applied to the time period in question,
which spanned the time from the creation of "the organization Vulcan" to
the time the CFJ was filed.

So the question is simple: which of the following single entities did 
rule 1 empower during all or part of that time period: the Vulcan 
Party (VP) or the organization Vulcan (oV)?

I was going to spend alot of time explaining and justifiying the use of
game custom, as described in rules 101 and 215.  It comes down to the
fact that no one has successfully convinced me that the rules as written
"clearly" empower VP or oV, thus a game custom interpretation is required
by rule 215, as I judge the language in question in rule 1 to be unclear
myself, or at least not clear without resort to custom in justifying its
clarity :)

This situation has been called 'Malenkai's' Loophole' (indeed, it was
called so here): in short, the hijacking of a word or phrase in the rules
by instantiating an entity whose name is lexically equivelent to the word
or phrase, thereby claiming the powers described in the rules for the named
entity or phrase. 

In all known successful occurrances of this (as far as I can tell), there
has been no semantic dissonance between the entity doing the hijacking 
and the phrase in the rules.  In other words, the phrase (or the entity)
either had no game or linguistic meaning, or the meaning it had was 
consistent with the meaning of the Malenkai's loophole entity doing 
the hijacking (see CFJ 415 for an example of the no meaning case, and
a counterexample of  where there *was* customary meaning, in terms of
the RoJ fragments).  When I say 'successful' here, I mean that customary
interpretation of the rule fragment in question came to mean the entity
in question.

The cases of 'FALSE', 'is', and 'Somewhere Else', OTOH, are not succssful,
because there *is* semantic difference between the phrase in question and
the language of the rules, and while a place or entity may have had one 
of these names, the interpretation of the language in the rules did not
change to be interpreted to point to these new things.

The case of the 'Supreme Court' has yet to be judged, and I am not judging
it here, but I have no reason to believe at this time that CFJ appeals will
start going to that organization all of the sudden, yet the organization
will continue to exist.

In my judgement then, there exists the following principle as implicit game
custom in regards to these things: The meaning of the language of the rules
does not change just because an entity is instantiated (or renamed) to be
lexically equivelent to a word or phrase in the rules.  If, OTOH, the word
or phrase had no meaning, or its meaning was not in conflict with the
instantiation (or renaming), then its meaning was that of the newly-named
entity.  Supporting examples include the 'Bronze Torch', 'Vending Machine' or
'Rock', 'Military lasers', 'Beldin's Parka', 'Somewhere Else', 'is' and 
'FALSE'.  Any counterexamples would be illumanating towards the validation
or rejection of this hypothesis, but the fact that I cannot think of any
seems to support it. 

Lets look at a hypothetical example of this.  I quote from rule 101:

> Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of rules. All players must always abide 
> by all the rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then in 
> effect, and interpreted in accordance with current game custom. The term 
> "rules", as used in the rules, means the *rules of Ackanomic* [my emphasis].

What does the phrase "rules of Ackanomic" mean?  Is that an entity, or does 
it have no meaning yet?  If I were to change my name to "rules of Ackanomic",
or create an organization or trinket called "rules of Ackanomic", surely that 
Malenkai's Loophole entity would have the powers and effects as described in
rule 101 for the "rules of Ackanomic", right?  Why not?  Because we already 
know what the phrase "rules of Ackanomic" means, even if we now instantiate
or rename a named entity with that name.  Likewise, I believe the "Supreme
Court" case will go the same way.  If "rules of Ackanomic" had no semantic
meaning, like the 'Military lasers' or 'Beldin's Parka', then it would work
that way, according to the principle of Ackanomic play outlined above.  This 
principle is also supported, to some extent, by the principles of standard 
language use.  

Thus, phrases and words in the rules cannot be hijacked unless there is no 
semantic dissonace between the phrase and the hijacking entity.
 
So there are three possible cases in terms of the phrase 'the organization
Vulcan' at the time oV was created:

1) It meant nothing
2) It meant oV
3) It meant something, but did not mean oV
3a) It meant VP (as a subset of 3)

It is unreasonable to judge that it meant oV before oV was created, so we are
left with 1) or 3).  To apply the above principle, if the phrase had no 
meaning, then it meant oV when oV was instantiated.  If it had meaning, then
its meaning did not change when oV was instantiated.

We all know what it meant beforehand*.  No one has made a bona fide 
case that it meant nothing (as in the case of the 'Military lasers').
If rule 1 had said:

	The organization Vulcan is empowered to, as an organizational
        action, do all the work of harfing the game.

then this CFJ would not be here.  I thus judge that the phrase 'The
organization
Vulcan' was *not* devoid of semantic meaning, that that semantic meaning was
in disssonance with oV at the time of its instantiation, that the principle
outlined above is in force in general, and that there is no compelling legal
reason for the oV to be an exception to that principle, hence my judgement of 
TRUE.

*Here are some examples from the e-mail archive to justify the judgement that
the phrase in question had semantic meaning that was known and accepted.  All
are
in the thread with the Acka subject 'Lets be Clear About This', the original
post of which brought the phrase in question into the game.  There are no
counterexamples in the archive prior to the attempted change in semantics.
(The phrase came into the Acka game state Aug 26 at 14:37, in the form of a
senate resolution.  (It later became part of rule 1 at 18:55 the same day)).
These examples are in the  order they appeared after the phrase was introduced
to Acka:

- ---
Alfvaen:

> [quote of the SR snipped]

> Yes, let's get it entirely out in the open, shall we?  Crush the last
> hopes of the Rebellion?  Haven't you watched any of those movies?  In
> our darkest hour, the Force will come to our aid!

> In the meantime, I am requesting admission to the Vulcan Party.

- ---

Niccolo:

[The TIE is] almost as good as the members of the defunct Underworld Party

- ---

snowgod:

> I don't object to the fact that the senate (vulcan) made themselves
> dictators. I object to the way it was done.

- ---

ThinMan

> [Vulcan] make no claims about who is better than whom at Nomic.  Nor do we
> seek any such acclaim.  We do have a few items on our agenda, however,
> which we intend to accomplish before we step down.  After all, having
> ultimate power gets stale pretty fast.

- ---

Balsamic Dragon:

> Can I offer a point of view as a new player?  There are two possibilities
> here.  One, the Vulcan Party is going to stay in power for as long as it
> can until people get bored and go away. 

- ---

breadbox:

> I just want you folks to know that I will be very unhappy if Vulcan
> decides to make some unrelated changes to the Rules that it feels it
> couldn't get 60% approval for.

> I have defended this coup from various mudslingings, in public and in
> private, partly because I don't want to see another Overworld debacle.
> Since SR105, things have been moving more in that direction.

- ---

Balsamic Dragon:

> If it gets through, its only because
> the Vulcan party LET it get through.  I have never played imperialist nomic
> before, (though I understand the concept) but I would rather see the
> dictators stand proud and admit who they are then sink behind a curtain and
> only pop out when it pleases them.  The only real problem I will have with
> this game (and your letter swings awfully close predicting this state) is
> if, after a while, the Vulcan Party picks a winner and steps down. 

- ---

In addition, game actions of CFCJ 141 thru 145 unambiguously identified the
the VP, as did IN P 346, all reactions to the phrase in question, indicating
semantic meaning was known and accepted.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:58:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka : Name change

> I would like the registrar to change my Acka name from Techno to   
> Crackfoo.  I would also like the postmaster to change my email address on   
> all lists to [email-masked].

I ack this.  So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Change of Heart:Small Kingdoms
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
I love you, you pay my rent.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:00:47 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: No mail?

> Are you guys suddenly all quiet?  I got no Acka mail at all last night
> -- not a single message since 17:30 (CDT).  If you've been saying
> anything, what was it?

Well, I was out of town, and by the time I got back(about 10:30)I was too
tired to do anything.  But it looks like I might actually have snagged a
job this time...which could complicate my life immensely over the next few
weeks, of course.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Change of Heart:Small Kingdoms
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
A sticky wicket runs deep.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:13:25 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 452 Verdict

> CFJ 452 has been judged TRUE.

I am appealing this decision.

Basically, I am not convinced that interpretation 2), that Rule 1 empowered
both "Vulcan" and "The organization Vulcan", was adequately dealt with by
the submitter of the CFJ or the Judge, who dismissed the possibility
summarily.  I don't really want to drag this out, as such, but I'd like to
feel certain that the verdict takes everything into account, and I'm willing
to take a 25-point penalty if this is ruled to be frivolous.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Concrete Blonde:Caroline
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
All the world's a stage. Where does the audience sit?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:42:33 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Name Space Reservation

Malenkai wrote:

> I am creating a Trinket called "rules of Ackanomic", valued at
> A$ 45.  It description is: "it is green".
> 
*Chuckle*  I considered creating an organization of that name at about
the time that I was writing CFJ 452.  I didn't do it at that time,
partly because I wasn't sure quite how bad the effects would be if
it was judged to be a valid surf of Malenkai's Loophole.  In
particular, I didn't take the time to fully evaluate whether I could
_undo_ the action once I had done it.  Nor whether individual rules
would still have any force or ability to sustain the game state.  The
example is very effective, however, at demonstrating why, if it comes
down in the end to a matter of a Judge's personal whim (i.e., the
alternatives are otherwise equally balanced), there is good reason for
the Judge / SC to rule CFJ 452 True.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:30:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Priest for Hire

> >As a result of this (and my current good standing with the weather gods), 
> >any player that gives me A$10 between now and the Autumnal Tornado will 
> >receive a blessing to save their dangling house from the terrible fate of 
> >being blown off the face of the Earth.  Will also accept payment on 
> >behalf of Vacationing players who cannot know the peril their home is in.

>   I am giving A$10 to Guy Fawkes.
> #transfer GuyFawkes RedBarn A$10 ; right?

Since Mohammed is no longer trying to automate Financiering through the
Acrobot, and I don't have anything analogous set up, I'll accept any
reasonable format.  As long as the transaction is expressed unambiguously.

However, I think he's a fraud, myself.  If you want your house blessed, why
not go to the professionals?  We at the Church of Azpiazu will take on such
duties willingly--contact either myself, or my priest Rex Mundi.  All fees
payable to the Church of Azpiazu.

I also have my own private Monopoling services available as well.  Assuming
that my Monopole didn't get stuck to some house two days ago...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Heart:Stranded
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:59:52 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: house

It occurs to me that I have not yet described my house, but that it my well
be hanging despite my never having used it.  How can I find out what its
status is?

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:59:36 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 452 Verdict

Alfvaen wrote:

> Basically, I am not convinced that interpretation 2), that Rule 1
> empowered
> both "Vulcan" and "The organization Vulcan", was adequately dealt with
> by
> the submitter of the CFJ or the Judge, who dismissed the possibility
> summarily.  I don't really want to drag this out, as such, but I'd
> like to
> feel certain that the verdict takes everything into account, and I'm
> willing
> to take a 25-point penalty if this is ruled to be frivolous.
> 
*Grumble Grumble Gripe Grumble*

Of all the points in that CFJ to contest, Alfvaen chooses about the
only one that Niccolo and I agree upon (if, perhaps, not for the same
reasons).  Although I suppose it is possible that Malenkai's reasoning
will sway Niccolo; his current support of interpretation (1) depends
on him utterly rejecting the bulk of Malenkai's reasoning.

Also, I wish to take this chance to commend Malenkai on what I think
is a very well-researched and well-reasoned analysis of Malenkai's
Loophole, as it applies to this situation.  (Indeed, who better to
write such an analysis :-)  I agree fully with his evaluation of the
effects of Malenkai's loophole, in this situation and in others, and
would so agree even if I had no stake in the outcome of the CFJ.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:02:55 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Priest for Hire

Alfvaen wrote:

> I also have my own private Monopoling services available as well.
> Assuming
> that my Monopole didn't get stuck to some house two days ago...
> 
If you are still capable of doing so, I request that you reattach my
house, the Ackanomic House of Pancakes.  I grant permission for you
to enter it in order to attempt to use your monopole to do so.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:07:45 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: house

> It occurs to me that I have not yet described my house, but that it my well
> be hanging despite my never having used it.  How can I find out what its
> status is?

The "former Map-Harfer's page", at
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/acka/map.html, has fairly current
information on it.  Whether you've described your house or not, it exists,
and since all houses are dangling after the recent flood, and I haven't
reattached it, it is dangling.  I'll gladly give it a try with my
Gravitational Monopole if you wish, and if it didn't fail with the last
batch I tried...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Beatles:Can't Buy Me Love
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
It is far better to blow out one candle than to curse the light.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:09:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Priest for Hire

> > I also have my own private Monopoling services available as well.
> > Assuming
> > that my Monopole didn't get stuck to some house two days ago...

> If you are still capable of doing so, I request that you reattach my
> house, the Ackanomic House of Pancakes.  I grant permission for you
> to enter it in order to attempt to use your monopole to do so.

Okay, I can be magnanimous in victory...in Ghost, at least, if not
necessarily in Rebellion.  :-)  If I can remove my Monopole from whatever
house I last used it on(Rex Mundi's, if all went well), then I'll take it
over to the Ackanomic House of Pancakes, attach it thereto, and with a
sneer of bravado at how easy this is all going, press the red button.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Beatles:Can't Buy Me Love
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
Turn the tongue seven times, then speak.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:20:35 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: house

> > It occurs to me that I have not yet described my house, but that it my
well
> > be hanging despite my never having used it.  How can I find out what
its
> > status is?
> 
> The "former Map-Harfer's page", at
> http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/acka/map.html, has fairly
current
> information on it.  Whether you've described your house or not, it
exists,
> and since all houses are dangling after the recent flood, and I haven't
> reattached it, it is dangling.  I'll gladly give it a try with my
> Gravitational Monopole if you wish, and if it didn't fail with the last
> batch I tried...
> 
My house isn't yet on the map, but it is dangling.  Can you please reattach
it?  If not, let me know and I will donate to a church or something.  How
do churches reattach houses?

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:28:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: No mail? (Return from Vacation)

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, ThinMan wrote (amongst other things):

>Vulcan no longer has dictatorial power in any thread.

I return from vacation and ask how this happened.  (I couldn't access the
latest CFJ's).  Should we thank someone in particular?  Was it 
interesting?  Was it fun? 

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:48:10 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: No mail? (Return from Vacation)

mr cwm wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, ThinMan wrote (amongst other things):
> 
> >Vulcan no longer has dictatorial power in any thread.
> 
> I return from vacation and ask how this happened.  (I couldn't access
> the
> latest CFJ's).  Should we thank someone in particular?  Was it 
> interesting?  Was it fun? 
> 
Well, there were several interesting attempts to oust Vulcan, and
it is possible, although looking less likely, that one of them
succeeded.  Vulcan voluntarilly stepped down last weekend, however,
thus establishing that whether or not the attempts to oust us worked,
we no longer have dictatorial powers now.

We left behind a rule, intended to be inalterable, which Guy Fawkes
claims he can modify or repeal by passing a special proposal.  I am
curious how he intends to do that, considering the rather substantial
protection written into that rule (1), but I suspect that he will keep
it to himself until and unless he tries it.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:18:59 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 457 Verdict

In the thread where the game state is not green, CFJ 457
has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
who was never a fan if shades of yellow ;-)
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 457
  Subject: The Supreme Court
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected Sep 05, 1997, 22:33h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

If CFCJ 145 is appealed once, it is judged by an appellate group
of players that consists entirely of breadbox and Guy Fawkes,
and no other appellate group or individual, assuming neither
named individual declines to hear the appeal, and assuming 
breadbox and Guy Fawkes hold the office of Justice and are
active players.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

This is to clear up the Supreme Court business, vis-a-vis 
the organization called the Supreme Court created by Vynd,
of which Vynd is the only member.

This actually does not clear up what the Supreme Court means,
but at least it should clear up where appeals go, and that
is all I care about, as CotC.  I had hoped someone else would
have submitted a better worded CFJ or reasoning, but here
we are.  I have no opinion on what the verdict should be, not
having delved into the issue more, but I'd bet on TRUE.

IAC, it could be a sticky wicket if *this* CFJ is appealed :)

/dev/joe's reasoning:

In CFJ 452, Malenkai posted a very fine set of reasoning describing why
Rule 1 referred to the Vulcan Party and no other organization.  I'll
comment here that the reasoning Malenkai uses to favor the Vulcan Party
interpretation over the "The organization Vulcan" interpretation is also
a good justification for why it doesn't refer to both organizations --
in the examples Malenkai cited ('FALSE', 'is', 'Somewhere Else') where
a Malenkai's Loophole entity conflicted with the already established
meaning of another term, not only did the term in the rules continue
to refer to the entity it had previously referred to, but it also didn't
start referring to both its customary meaning and the new entity.

The situation with "the Supreme Court" is analogous, if perhaps a bit
weaker.  At some time, the Supreme Court was an entity, and the name
rule would have prevented the creation of anything else named
"the Supreme Court", but somewhere along the way, it seems that the
Supreme Court became just a collective name for the Justices, putting
it perhaps in the same realm with 'FALSE' and 'Somewhere Else' --
terms that were not the names of entities but had accepted definitions
in the rules and/or game custom at the time somebody created an entity
of the same name.  This is *exactly* the case that Malenkai argued about.

For this reason, I find that the references to "the Supreme Court" in the
rules (217, 218, 416, 417, etc.) continue to refer to the body which now
consists of the Justices breadbox and Guy Fawkes, and to no other entity.
Thus I judge CFJ 457 TRUE and CFJ 459 FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:21:20 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 459 Verdict

CFJ 459 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
who hopes to have the cotc page up tomorrow
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 459
  Subject: Justices
Initiator: Vynd
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected Sep 07, 1997, 01:38h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

The members or the organization named "the Supreme Court" are
Justices.

Vynd's Reasoning:  

I quote Rule 417.  "The players that are also Justices (should
the position exist) that is, members of the Supreme Court..."  What more
do you need?

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

[indicated to be the same as for CFJ 457, cut for brevity - CotC]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:27:53 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Guy Fawkes)

Niccolo did not report what Phoebe said.  She has been found by
Guy Fawkes.

Malenkai
Speaker
who wonders if some bug spray is needed here

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:42:57 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: No mail? (Return from Vacation)

> >Vulcan no longer has dictatorial power in any thread.
> 
> I return from vacation and ask how this happened.  (I couldn't access the
> latest CFJ's).  Should we thank someone in particular?  Was it 
> interesting?  Was it fun? 

Welcome back!  Well, we made a few attempts.  Guy Fawkes attempted to
create a Rule and then retroactively declare it to have succeeded two weeks
later; I tried to use Malenkai's Loophole against them by creating "The
organization Vulcan"; Balsamic Dragon(and Oneiros) made a unique
organization in the hopes that this would cause all other organizations to
disappear; and Guy Fawkes and breadbox tried to stick self-deleting text on
the end of a Zuriti'ili guideline.  So far it doesn't look like any of them
worked.  (So now I suppose I'll have to reharf everything...)

It was, in some senses, fun.  But the multiple thread splits are a
headache.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Henry Badowski:Baby Sign Here With Me
Current Book--Anne McCaffrey:Dragonquest
Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:42:55 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

> I am going to FALSE, attaching the Gravitational Monopole, and with an
> expression of bravado I am pressing the red button.

works.

> If that works, I am going to the Temple of Azpiazu, attaching the
> Gravitational Monopole, and with an expression of bravado I am pressing
> the red button.

works (barely).  I believe that is a statement from the gods :).
 
> If that works, I am going to the Gaol, attaching the Gravitational
> Monopole, and with an expression of bravado I am pressing the red button.

works.
 
> If that works, I am going to the Portrait Gallery, attaching the
> Gravitational Monopole, and with an expression of bravado I am pressing
> the red button.

works.
 
> If that works, I am going to the Tower of Bandwidth(towers dangle,
> right?), attaching the Gravitational Monopole, and with an expression
> of bravado I am pressing the red button.

works.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:45:16 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh, Yeah

> If I still have the Gravitational Monopole, and it's not stuck to
> some building, I'm going to Rex Mundi's House, and with an appropriate
> expression of bravado pushing the red button.

Works.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:48:54 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: house

> My house isn't yet on the map, but it is dangling.  Can you please reattach
> it?  If not, let me know and I will donate to a church or something.  How
> do churches reattach houses?

Well, since the actual graphical Map tends to get updated so infrequently,
you gotta pay attention to the text listing underneath the Map.  We don't
have a little "dangling" graphic that goes on the Map image; trying to fit
that on "correspond to a text string consisting of an infinite number of
q's" would probably be difficult.

However, I think it's time to nudge our Map-Harfer, since I seem to've been
doing all his work for him...

Churches can't reattach houses, but they can bless them so that dangling
houses don't get ripped away by tornadoes, of which there is one due on the
Autumnal Equinox.  However, since you ask...

If my Gravitational Monopole is not stuck to anybody's house, I shall go
over to Balsamic Dragon's House with it, affix it, and with a suitable
gesture of bravado("Hey, I'm the AckaPhysicist, I know what I'm doing."
"No, he doesn't!"  "It's true!"  "Shut up."), I press the red button.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Concrete Blonde:Dragonquest
Current Book--Anne McCaffrey:Dragonquest
the fact that empty is glorious is not the point.  --kaite mcgrew

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:47:48 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Adrift

> Once there,  I take out my Gravitational Monopole and,  with fingers shut
> and eyes crossed,  press the shiny red button.

> Voting Gnome for the holidays

works.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:48:32 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Priest for Hire

> Okay, I can be magnanimous in victory...in Ghost, at least, if not
> necessarily in Rebellion.  :-)  If I can remove my Monopole from whatever
> house I last used it on(Rex Mundi's, if all went well), then I'll take it
> over to the Ackanomic House of Pancakes, attach it thereto, and with a
> sneer of bravado at how easy this is all going, press the red button.

works.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:49:56 -0400
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: house

> If my Gravitational Monopole is not stuck to anybody's house, I shall go
> over to Balsamic Dragon's House with it, affix it, and with a suitable
> gesture of bravado("Hey, I'm the AckaPhysicist, I know what I'm doing."
> "No, he doesn't!"  "It's true!"  "Shut up."), I press the red button.

works.

Malenkai
can this be put on the acka-gm list :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:01:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chess-Umpire

Niccolo Flychuck has been reappointed Chess-Umpire.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Brian Eno:The True Wheel
Current Book--Anne McCaffrey:Dragonquest
In one ear and gone tomorrow.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:03:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: New Observer

We have a new observer, Apollo Hogan <[email-masked]>.  Please
welcome him to Ackanomic, and do interesting things so he can watch.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Brian Eno:The True Wheel
Current Book--Anne McCaffrey:Dragonquest
By the pricking of my thumbs, a candle this way comes.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 16:10:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 144 (Malenkai)

two-star did not deliver a verdict.  It has been reassigned 
to Malenkai

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 144
  Subject: Zuriti'ili
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: two-star (failed to deliver verdict)
2nd Judge: Malenkai (assigned Sep 09, 1997, 16:10h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Vynd has committed a Crime.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning:

This is the third of these accusations of Zuriti'ili.  Although he is
probably the least culpable of the Vulcans, he chose to affliate himself
with Vulcan to share in the Zuriti'ili *spit*, and so must suffer the
same fate as the rest of the organization.

Suggested Penalty:

10 days in Gaol.

------------------------------

Date: 09 Sep 1997 15:22:42 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: house

[email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey) writes:

> Well, since the actual graphical Map tends to get updated so infrequently,
> you gotta pay attention to the text listing underneath the Map.  We don't
> have a little "dangling" graphic that goes on the Map image; trying to fit
> that on "correspond to a text string consisting of an infinite number of
> q's" would probably be difficult.

	q* 

	8)

	Regular expressions are nice.  For those who don't know what I'm
talking about, regexps are used to match text strings.  The character '*'
means "match 0 or more occurances of the preceding expression", so "q*"
would match any string of 'q's of any length.  

- --
Archie Leach <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #295
*******************************