Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #288
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, September 5 1997       Volume 02 : Number 288

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 01:29:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJs + stuff

Firstly let me apologize for the CFJs piling up.  I intend to
get to them all Friday night.  You try preparing for a new
baby and playing the game at the pace it is currently
being played :)  I haven't been giving any time to Vulcan
either.  Keep sending them in, they'll get out as described
in the rules.

Secondly, to Vynd, the CotC page (and the CE page for that
matter), is strictly voluntarily.  I hope to get that updated
tomorrow too, and apologize for it being out of date.  As
for the CFJ archive itself, I still hope to do it, but
some of the chaos, both in RL and here, has to settle down
a bit.

Thirdly, to the Chosen One, C'mon man ;-)  I'd laugh my
@$$ off if someone got there first.

Fourthy, to Alfvaen, e-mail me privately the name of the
Messenger.

Fifthly, about game custom, I agree with Guy Fawkes disagreement,
I think, and the key rules, if it isn't obvious, are 101 and 215.
As much as I'd love to jump into that one, I just don't have the
time

Sixthly, there are no clues about the Parka in this post, except
that a certain type of post is always near clues about the 
Parka.  Most, if not all, of this paragraph is hopelessly false.

Sevently, I plan to resign as Wizard as soon as I develop a cool
treasure hunt.  The monster part map just didn't look like it
was going to be cool.  Perhaps it could be a prize in the playtest
of hidden adjendas, or something similar to the monster part
map, with a litte more thought.  What was that thing on the
nomic bulletin board about tradeable rules/objects?  Something
like that mabye.

Eightly, in terms of the Scientist discussion, keep it the way it
is, except make blueprints rules instead and allow normal precedence to
handle stuff.  This will allow a Frankenstein Monster to actually
be built.  Better yet, either repeal the FM rule, or make it
workable.  Also, dump Ad Hoc and replace it with Hearings, perhaps
a more beefed up Hearings with more parameters.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:01:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Organizations

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > One thing I am certian of is that you, Balsamic dragon, are not the
> > founder of The rebellion.  Your permission is not required, nor does
> > it have any affect.  You aren't even a member yourself :) Rule 1003
> > says that Rules-sanctioned organizations do not neccesarily have
> > Founders.  Thus I think breadbox is wrong that we can consider the
> > Rule to be the founder of the organization, since the rule itself
> > doesn't claim that status.
> 
> On the other hand, it doesn't say that the Rule has to claim that
> status. Rule 1003 only says that Rules-sanctioned Organizations do not
> necessarily have Founders; it doesn't say what the default is. I hold
> that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the default is that is
> does have a Founder. Obviously it has a Founder: the Founder is Rule
> 2283. Therefore I have petitioned Rule 2283 for permission to join the
> Revolution. And I will wait until I get a response.
> 
> breadbox
> "And I can wait all day if necessary!"

But that's not necessary. R2283 describes an alternative method of joining
the Revolution. The petition method is only required for player sanctioned
organizations. It assumed nothing about rule sanctrined Organization,
although Game Custor would have it that the petition method works with
them too. Here, however, we have a proedure explicitly described in the
rule.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:11:24 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cheez-Whiz + Llama

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, **Alexandre Muniz wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > I think that this the kind of duty I'd like to see an Ad Hoc Committee
> > empowered to do. It's now like we need a review for every gadget. Only if
> > someone believes a gadget to be abusable is there need for such a review.
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> Having served in an ad hoc committee, (and having been jailed for 
> contempt for it,) I have to say this is a bad idea. In fact I plan to 

The Ad Hoc Committee rule was amended later, partly in light of your
comments.
In fact, it even encourages the Speaker to designate a player to count the
votes and report the results (since it seems that 5 respected ackazens
can't make such a simple arrangment themselves without an explicit rule
telling them how)

Niccolo Flychuck

> try to repeal ad hoc committees after I have done some other proposals. 
> I believe that hearings work much more smoothly. Perhaps there should be 
> a type of hearing where voting is delayed for a few days in order that 
> discussion may occur before voting. I personally have forgone calling 
> for trinket inanity committees because of this, when a hearing would 
> have taken a relatively modest amount of effort to harf.

> 
> **two-star
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:12:57 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Organizations

Oneiros wrote:
> 

> c) Small voles waiting on the aluminium side of space who prey on critters
> with pointy ears.

Ah, yes. You mean Thargoids. We're working on the problem, but they are 
proving extremely difficult to eradicate.

**Rule 2283

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:15:38 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: organizations

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > I am requesting the Registrar to allow me to change my name to "Rule
> > 2283"
> 
> > Perhaps this may allow me to relieve Breadbox's suspence
> 
> > **Rule 2283
> 
> > **actually, still two-star
> 
> Okay, I ack this.  Will this be a short-term change, or shall I change all
> the web pages?  (I have the oddest urge to do so anyway...:-)

Um. I want my old name back. I don't know what I was thinking. Please 
let me be two-star again.

**Rule 2283

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 13:10:06 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The HTML Standard Volume 1, Number 5

Correction:
Previously, we at the HTML Standard announced that we would be holding 
a playtest Agenda Condition auction using Rule 2283's hidden agenda RFC. 
We regret that this will not occur, due to insufficient interest. Only 
two players sent in Agenda Conditions, and the RFC required a minimum of 
four players to do so in order for condition bidding to occur.
As for the playtest commemorative Agenda Hats and Nemesis Eggplants that 
were to be awarded to participants, we have some trinkets in the 
back room that will be given out shortly, despite the unfortunate 
circumstances. Here are the agenda conditions we received, if anyone 
cares.

Alfvaen sent:

Hat's owner shall have received at least A$100 for the sales of Walls
of Trombones and/or Santa's Beards from a Vending Machine e owns.

Hat's owner shall receive the Chartreuse Goose and subsequently lose
it three separate times in a single calendar month.

Hat's owner shall be found guilty of a Crime as a result of a CFCJ
called by another player.

And Vynd sent:

The owner of this agenda hat holds no offices.

The owner of this agenda hat owns at least 5 kaas of land.

The wearer of this agenda hat has spent at least 7 days in gaol out of 
the last 21 days.

Rule 2283 informs us that that he will not be proposing the hidden 
agenda proposal that he had been working on. Without a proper playtest 
it would be impossible to be certain that the rule would not have too 
many loopholes. Also, given the level of interest shown, the rule would 
not be used, even if it passes.

To quote our esteemed president, "Well, it's not totally unheard of to 
put a lot of work into something that nobody else cares about.  :-)"

The HTML Standard

**Rule 2283, Editor.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 04:28:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The HTML Standard Volume 1, Number 5

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, **Alexandre Muniz wrote:

> Correction:
> Previously, we at the HTML Standard announced that we would be holding 
> a playtest Agenda Condition auction using Rule 2283's hidden agenda RFC. 
> We regret that this will not occur, due to insufficient interest. Only 
> two players sent in Agenda Conditions, and the RFC required a minimum of 
> four players to do so in order for condition bidding to occur.
> As for the playtest commemorative Agenda Hats and Nemesis Eggplants that 
> were to be awarded to participants, we have some trinkets in the 
> back room that will be given out shortly, despite the unfortunate 
> circumstances. Here are the agenda conditions we received, if anyone 
> cares.

Doh!

> 
> Alfvaen sent:
> 
> Hat's owner shall have received at least A$100 for the sales of Walls
> of Trombones and/or Santa's Beards from a Vending Machine e owns.
> 
> Hat's owner shall receive the Chartreuse Goose and subsequently lose
> it three separate times in a single calendar month.
> 
> Hat's owner shall be found guilty of a Crime as a result of a CFCJ
> called by another player.
> 
> And Vynd sent:
> 
> The owner of this agenda hat holds no offices.
> 
> The owner of this agenda hat owns at least 5 kaas of land.
> 
> The wearer of this agenda hat has spent at least 7 days in gaol out of 
> the last 21 days.
> 
> 

Heh, Alfvaen and I both seemed to want to encourage more Crime.  How Evil
of us.

> Rule 2283 informs us that that he will not be proposing the hidden 
> agenda proposal that he had been working on. Without a proper playtest 
> it would be impossible to be certain that the rule would not have too 
> many loopholes. Also, given the level of interest shown, the rule would 
> not be used, even if it passes.
> 
> To quote our esteemed president, "Well, it's not totally unheard of to 
> put a lot of work into something that nobody else cares about.  :-)"
> 

Grr.  I for one hope that the other members of Acka, many of whom have at
one point or another encouraged two-star in this endevour, get off the
couch and pitch in.  I am pretty sure that if this had been real, and not
a "play-test" that there would have been more interest.

> The HTML Standard
> 
> **Rule 2283, Editor.
> 

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:55:41 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Organizations

> One thing I am certian of is that you, Balsamic dragon, are not the
> founder of The rebellion.  Your permission is not required, nor does it
> have any affect.  You aren't even a member yourself :)  

DOH!

I hereby publically announce that I am joining the Revolution.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:14:37 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Organizations

breadbox wrote:

> Therefore I have petitioned Rule 2283 for permission to join the
> Revolution. And I will wait until I get a response.
> 
:-)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:25:56 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Organizations

Guy Fawkes wrote:

[breadbox wrote:]
> > So ... yes: game custom is just "that's the way we thought it
> worked",
> > but with a little more implication that there has been an effort to
> > actually analyze the issue and find a solution that is generally
> > considered to be satisfactory.
> 
> For the stronger game custom, that is, game custom that was based on 
> prior court interpretation, this is true.  However, many players call 
> practices which have never come under judicial review "game custom"
> just 
> because they have always done things this way.  A longtime Rule
> violation 
> does _not_, however, constitute game custom, and if you can show how 
> established practice is in violation of the Rules, such an argument
> will 
> be taken seriously by the judicial system.
> 
As one of the "many players" Guy cites, I claim that we do not just
"call" long-established practices "game custom" -- they _are_ game
custom, at least in the vast majority of cases.  And, as Guy pointed
out later, game custom makes them so -- that is, game custom is
explicitly external to the rules, so only game custom can determine
what is game custom and what isn't.

I will agree with Guy that a longtime Rule violation does not
constitute game custom, but a longtime practice that is in violation
of one possible interpretation of the rules but not another surely
indicates that the customary interpretation is the latter (or, at
least, not the former).

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:29:21 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Prayer for deliverance

> > Neodystopian octogenarian epistemological
> > segnuot ni nekops.
> 
> O My Priest, read you not the Rule?  "Epistemological" is, in the
standard
> dialect at least, a seven-syllable word.  And I don't think it counts.

Its fortunate, then, that nekops is a six syllable word (pronounced
enn-ee-kay-oh-pee-ess) ;-).

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:59:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Trinket

Having three heads isn't enough, so...  I am creating a trinket called
"one big head", value A$29.  Its description is as follows:

This head is big.  Really big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely,
mindnumbingly big it is.  I mean, you may think it's a long way down the
street to the chemist's, but...well, anyway.  It's very realistic-looking,
except for the fact that it doesn't talk, and it has a sort of "faceted
plastic" look to it.  One thing you can be sure of, though, whoever created
it certainly was not greedy.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Julian Lennon:Valotte
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
"It's like Myra Hess playing on through the air raids."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:00:23 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Random Rule-harfing

> >One last note - I've got my system set up to generate both HTML and
> >flat-text Rules documents. I created the latter mostly for my own
> >usage, because I dislike some of the formatting done by Lynx. But it
> >occurred to me that this might be useful to others as well. Are there
> >people who would like to also see a link to a flat-text version of the
> >Rules for downloading? If so, speak up. (A flat-text version would
> >also be amenable to being gzipped, which is another plus.)
> 
>   Yes, I would find a flat-text very useful indeed.

I would like to see a (g)zipped, flat text version of the rules, including
all the rulesuites that are usually separate documents.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:12:28 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: organizations

> > > I am requesting the Registrar to allow me to change my name to "Rule
> > > 2283"

> > > **Rule 2283

> > Okay, I ack this.  Will this be a short-term change, or shall I change all
> > the web pages?  (I have the oddest urge to do so anyway...:-)
 
> Um. I want my old name back. I don't know what I was thinking. Please 
> let me be two-star again.

Okay.  So let it be written, so let it be done.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Rod Stewart:Never Give Up On A Dream
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
There are 12 people in the world; the rest are paste.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:15:36 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: Prayer for deliverance

> > > Neodystopian octogenarian epistemological
> > > segnuot ni nekops.

> > O My Priest, read you not the Rule?  "Epistemological" is, in the
> standard
> > dialect at least, a seven-syllable word.  And I don't think it counts.

> Its fortunate, then, that nekops is a six syllable word (pronounced
> enn-ee-kay-oh-pee-ess) ;-).

Hmmm.  Well, let me see.  I prayed, validly I hope; my benighted Priest may
or may not have prayed validly(depending on the consensus about the
validity of his above statement), Niccolo Flychuck definitely prayed
invalidly, and Robert Sevin did not pray at all.

Things are not looking good.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Rod Stewart:Never Give Up On A Dream
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
A novel is a mirror traveling down a road.  --Ondaatje

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:17:00 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Bid

I bid A$22 on the Cheez-Whiz.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Rod Stewart:Never Give Up On A Dream
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
We've got four big clocks, and they're all ticking.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:36:48 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Treasure

I am burying the Snail Shell as a Treasure.  Since I got no response to my
questions about a web-based Treasure, I'll just go ahead and do the thing.

There's this game called Fantasy Billboard which I've been playing for
months now.  Essentially, what you do is pick ten records(with certain
restrictions)from the Billboard Hot 200 album chart(as well as the
Heatseeker list, of records outside the Hot 200 that show promise).  Then,
over the following four weeks, you get points depending on the chart
positions of each record, which bonuses for things like a Heatseeker
charting, fastest mover, new #1, or entering the top 20/50/100.

So I am revealing the following portion of the Map to the Snail Shell:  The
first player to get eir "record company" among the top 50 such companies
shall win it.  In the event that two players get there in the same week,
the higher-scoring one will win.

To let me know you're playing, email me the name of the record company, so
I can watch for it.  This won't be limited to the current week's contest,
so you can start later, and play more than one concurrently(starting a new
one each week, that is; no more than one record label per player will be
"official").

Since the album-choosing page involves frames(and is one of the few that
actually makes good use of them, IMHO), anyone whose web browser can't
handle them, or who's not on the Web at all:  I'll gladly email you a copy
of the Rules, and a list of the current 200 albums, on request, and
register you myself.

(I've got two record companies on there, Azpiazu Records and Temple of
Azpiazu Records, with my old and new email addresses...they won't count in
this game, of course, since I don't want the Goose...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Julian Lennon:Jesse
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
Producing a book is like typing a lot.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:39:26 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: I should probably mention...

I didn't mean to make this part of the Treasure Hunt...:-)

The URL for Fantasy Billboard(which is in my Hotlist on my home page) is
http://www.mpn.com/bb-tools/dispatch-meta/fantasy?SRC=index.htm

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Julian Lennon:Jesse
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
Today is the last day of your life so far.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:34:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Random Rule-harfing

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Gavin Doig wrote:

> > >One last note - I've got my system set up to generate both HTML and
> > >flat-text Rules documents. I created the latter mostly for my own
> > >usage, because I dislike some of the formatting done by Lynx. But it
> > >occurred to me that this might be useful to others as well. Are there
> > >people who would like to also see a link to a flat-text version of the
> > >Rules for downloading? If so, speak up. (A flat-text version would
> > >also be amenable to being gzipped, which is another plus.)
> > 
> >   Yes, I would find a flat-text very useful indeed.
> 
> I would like to see a (g)zipped, flat text version of the rules, including
> all the rulesuites that are usually separate documents.
> 
> Rex Mundi.
> 

If someone could buy some space in Times Square and put the Ruleset up in
neon lights, I'd really appreciate it.  I might even go and read them.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:57:29 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2285 accepted

> 
> In at least one of the threads where this proposal was not invalidated
> by Vulcan, all of the rule changes it describes had already occurred,
> so it is quite likely that proposal has had no effect on the game
> state at all.
> 
> In other words, I'm not sure if this thing has rejoined more threads
> than it split off. Oh boy ... where are those CFJ verdicts....

Fellow Ackanomians:

I have been unable to come up with a satisfactory verdict before the
deadline of seven days.  I accepted judgeship on Friday at 8:30am and, at
that time, believed that I would be able to judge this matter promptly. 
However, the enormity of my duties was revealed after extensive and complex
debate on the subject.  According to the rules, the judgment now goes to
the Praetor, which is Malenkai.

I have petitioned Malenkai to grant me an extention of time.  This is
within his power because he can post my judgment as that of the Praetor,
however he is by no means required to do so.

To my fellow members of the revolution, I can only say that I tried my best
to research this matter fully instead of giving a quick, but unsupported
decision.  I am still undecided as to the true intent of the rules.  While
it is true that I could have let my indecision work for the Rebellion's
favor, I did not do so.  The reprecussions of this ruling were to great to
allow a partisan judgment.

I expect  that this judgment will be appealed no matter who makes it, I or
Malenkai, but I apologize for causing Ackanomic to wait for so long to hear
what had happened.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:03:20 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chess-Umpire

I hadn't realized until I checked that Chess-Umpire is a Functional office,
so it falls to me rather than Malenkai to fill it...:-)

I am hereby announcing a Nomination for Chess-Umpire.  Reply privately to
me if you wish to hold this position.

(In the meantime, I seem to be Acting Chess-Umpire, unless anyone else
wants to be in the interim...I know little about Party Chess, so I welcome
volunteers.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Portishead:Dummy
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
A Florid Flock of Forty Flatulent Flamingos.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:28:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chess-Umpire

Oh, of course, as Chess-Umpire is an optional office, I don't have to
actually Chess-Ump, so there's much point in volunteering to Act.  There is
no Act, only Do.

And for those who may not have already tried to reply to my previous
message assuming it must have been sent to acka-priv because Malenkai
always remembers to do that, this message is sent to acka-priv.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Portishead:Dummy
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Emperor of Everything
Piece of dirt, that is all I'm standing on today

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:02:53 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Suggestion

I suggest that Vulcan take the following actions, in the order
specified:

(1) Change the rules by repealing rules 2, 3, 411.1, and 5001.

(2) Change the rules by renumbering rule 1 to rule 4.

(3) Change the rules by amending rule 719 in the following ways:

    (a) Replace the sentence "When it becomes illegal to appeal a
        Zuriti'ili CFCJ further, any guideline from that CFCJ that was
        not overturned on appeal is added to the list of guidelines
        below," with the following: "The Clerk of the Court shall
        maintain a list of the legal Zuriti'ili guidelines, which he
        shall make available to any player upon request.  After all
        legal appeals of a particular Zuriti'ili CFCJ have been
        resolved and it is no longer legal to appeal that CFCJ, the
        Clerk of the Court shall append any Zuriti'ili guideline from
        that CFCJ that was not overturned to his list of legal
        guidelines."  (All Quotation marks delimit strings; they are
        not part of the strings themselves.)

    (b) Replace the string "Guidelines:" with the string "{{ The
        Clerk of the Court's initial list of legal Zuriti'ili
        guidelines shall contain the following guidelines and no
        others:".  (All quotation marks delimit the strings in
        question and are not part of the strings themselves.)

    (c) Append the string "}}" (without the quotation marks) after
        all other text in the rule.

(4) Change the rules by creating a new rule, numbered 1 and entitled
    "The Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired)", with the following
    text (delimited by the next two pairs of adjacent asterisks):

**
Vulcan once ruled Ackanomic.

Those players who were members of Vulcan on August 28, 1997 [/dev/joe,
Malenkai, ThinMan, and Vynd] are Evil Overlords of Ackanomic
(retired).  No other players and no non-players are Evil Overlords of
Ackanomic (retired).

Gold Pocketwatches are unnamed, non-tradable, non-mimsy entities.  As
the name suggests, they are ornate, pocket-sized timepieces made of
pure gold.  Despite utilizing analog mechanical displays, Gold
Pocketwatches are, in fact, miniature atomic clocks, and they would be
exceedingly valuable if they were actually tradable.  Gold
Pocketwatches may only be created, destroyed, or transferred as
specified by this rule.  Gold Pocketwatches have no attributes, powers, 
or effects other than those described by this rule.  Four Gold
Pocketwatches are hereby immediately created, one in the possession of
each of the four Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired), then this
sentence is deleted from this rule.

Vulcan may disband itself as an organizational action, but will not
be disbanded if it has zero (or fewer) members.  If ever none of the
Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) is a member of Vulcan, then any
of the Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) may join Vulcan as a
public action with no Vulcan approval required; this right may not be
restricted in any way.  If Vulcan ever disbands itself then this
paragraph and the next two paragraphs of this rule are thereupon
deleted from this rule.  If Vulcan's name is ever legally changed, then
all instances of the string "Vulcan" in this rule are simultaneously
replaced with Vulcan's new name. (The quotation marks in the previous
sentence are delimiters only, not part of the specified string.)

Vulcan owns twelve adjacent kaas of land near the edge of Ackanomic.
Upon those twelve kaas of land is Vulcan Headquarters, which is an
Extravagant building.  Vulcan Headquarters is even bigger on the inside
than on the outside -- indeed, some say that the interior is infinitely
large.  Vulcan Headquarters also has a disturbing tendency of changing
its appearance and floor plan from time to time, therefore Vulcan may
change the description of Vulcan Headquarters at any time.  Vulcan
may not trade, sell, or otherwise cease to be in possession of Vulcan
Headquarters or the land on which it resides.  Vulcan, members of
Vulcan, and the Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) shall be immune
from any requirements associated with owning the land or building
granted Vulcan by this rule, except those requirements specified by
this rule.  Vulcan Headquarters is a Common Location.

Members of Vulcan and Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) are always
permitted to enter Vulcan Headquarters; other players may ring the door
chime, but are only permitted to enter if a Vulcan member grants
permission.  Any player who is not a member of Vulcan may be forcefully
ejected from Vulcan Headquarters (via catapult) by Vulcan.  Any member
of Vulcan who is not an Evil Overlord of Ackanomic (retired) may be
similarly ejected from Vulcan Headquarters by any Evil Overlord of
Ackanomic (retired) who is a member of Vulcan.  Any Evil Overlord of
Ackanomic (retired) may eject himself from Vulcan Headquarters.  Vulcan
artillerists are unerringly accurate, and any player ejected from
Vulcan Headquarters, as allowed by this rule, goes to his own home, if
he has one, or to the Wilds of Ackanomia if he doesn't.  Vulcan
artillerists do, however, require ammunition, so, notwithstanding the
permissions granted above, only players who are in Vulcan Headquarters
may be ejected from Vulcan Headquarters as described above.  Vulcan
Headquarters has six 3500-meter tall ostentatious towers attached to
it which are not associated with any player.

This rule may not be amended, changed in any way, or repealed, or for
any reason cease to be in force, except as described in this rule.  If
this rule conflicts with any other rule, then this rule shall guide
play.  No new rule may be created which, if it conflicted with this
one, would guide play instead of this one.  No rule may be amended or
otherwise changed so that, if it conflicted with this one, it would
guide play instead of this one.  No new rule may be created, nor any
existing rule changed in any way so as to specify any alternative
definition for any of the language of this rule.  The game state may
not be altered in such a way as to cause the customary interpretation
of this rule to be changed.  This rule shall still be interpreted
according to game custom, however, and this rule shall not be
interpreted so as to forbid its correct interpretation from being
established via otherwise legal CFJ proceedings.  
**

(5) Change the rules by repealing rule 4.

I support suggested action (1).
I support suggested action (2).
I support suggested action (3).
I support suggested action (4).
I support suggested action (5).

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

> I suggest that Vulcan take the following actions, in the order
> specified:
> 
> [...]

Interesting....

If and when the other three members of Vulcan approve of this action,
Vulcan will no longer be in power is any of the current game threads.
At that time I would encourage two-star to retract Proposal 2287, if
he still can. Otherwise, Rule 1005 will need to be re-proposed.

Proposal 2287's voting period will end tomorrow at 2:13 PM (Acka
time).

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:28:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

ThinMan wrote:
> I suggest that Vulcan take the following actions, in the order
> specified:
> 
> (1) Change the rules by repealing rules 2, 3, 411.1, and 5001.
> 
> (2) Change the rules by renumbering rule 1 to rule 4.
> 
> (3) Change the rules by amending rule 719 in the following ways:
 [...]
> (4) Change the rules by creating a new rule, numbered 1 and entitled
>     "The Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired)", with the following
 [...]
> (5) Change the rules by repealing rule 4.

I support suggested action (1).
I support suggested action (2).
I support suggested action (3).
I support suggested action (4).
I support suggested action (5).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 18:37:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

> If and when the other three members of Vulcan approve of this action,
> Vulcan will no longer be in power is any of the current game threads.
> At that time I would encourage two-star to retract Proposal 2287, if
> he still can. Otherwise, Rule 1005 will need to be re-proposed.

Actually, I rather liked proposal 2287.  In fact, I regret not nuking
the entire organizational rules while a dictator ;-).  I do intend to
propose a wipeout of all those rules at some point -- I am sort of
against the concept (but not strongly), but *really* think the 
implementation needs an overhaul.  Given the problems in my mind, I
think its better to wipeout and start from scratch rather than try
to patch the existing framework.

Malenkai
vote yes for proposal 2287

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 18:47:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

ThinMan wrote:
> I suggest that Vulcan take the following actions, in the order
> specified:
> 
> (1) Change the rules by repealing rules 2, 3, 411.1, and 5001.
> 
> (2) Change the rules by renumbering rule 1 to rule 4.
> 
> (3) Change the rules by amending rule 719 in the following ways:
 [...]
> (4) Change the rules by creating a new rule, numbered 1 and entitled
>     "The Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired)", with the following
 [...]
> (5) Change the rules by repealing rule 4.

I support suggested action (1).
I support suggested action (2).
I support suggested action (3).
I support suggested action (4).
I support suggested action (5).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:50:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: mispelling action

FYI

Malenkai proposed the following Vulcan action on August 30, 1:21 AM:

> Rule 340 is amended to replace "misspelled" with "mispelled".

This action was approved by Malenkai, /dev/joe, and ThinMan. Vynd has
neither approved nor denounced it.

From Rule 1005:

> If, after a suggestion is made, all non-vacationing, non-gaoled
> members of the Organization approve it within seven days, and no
> member denounces it, then the Organization attempts the action as
> suggested. The time of this attempt is the time of the last
> approval.
> 
> If seven days pass after a suggestion is made, then the Organization
> shall make the attempt, as suggested, if and only if no member of
> that Organization denounced the suggestion, and at least two thirds
> of the Organization's members approved it within the seven-day
> period.

Since two-thirds of Vulcan have approved it, the action will be
accepted whether or not Vynd ever approves it. However, if Vulcan
completes their abdication before 1:21 AM tonight, they will not be
empowered to take this action at the time it is attempted.

If Vynd approves this action first, then it will be attempted at that
time, and will succeed.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:51:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Suggestion

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> 
> I suggest that Vulcan take the following actions, in the order
> specified:
> 
> (1) Change the rules by repealing rules 2, 3, 411.1, and 5001.
> 
> (2) Change the rules by renumbering rule 1 to rule 4.
> 
> (3) Change the rules by amending rule 719 in the following ways:
> 
>     (a) Replace the sentence "When it becomes illegal to appeal a
>         Zuriti'ili CFCJ further, any guideline from that CFCJ that was
>         not overturned on appeal is added to the list of guidelines
>         below," with the following: "The Clerk of the Court shall
>         maintain a list of the legal Zuriti'ili guidelines, which he
>         shall make available to any player upon request.  After all
>         legal appeals of a particular Zuriti'ili CFCJ have been
>         resolved and it is no longer legal to appeal that CFCJ, the
>         Clerk of the Court shall append any Zuriti'ili guideline from
>         that CFCJ that was not overturned to his list of legal
>         guidelines."  (All Quotation marks delimit strings; they are
>         not part of the strings themselves.)
> 
>     (b) Replace the string "Guidelines:" with the string "{{ The
>         Clerk of the Court's initial list of legal Zuriti'ili
>         guidelines shall contain the following guidelines and no
>         others:".  (All quotation marks delimit the strings in
>         question and are not part of the strings themselves.)
> 
>     (c) Append the string "}}" (without the quotation marks) after
>         all other text in the rule.
> 
> (4) Change the rules by creating a new rule, numbered 1 and entitled
>     "The Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired)", with the following
>     text (delimited by the next two pairs of adjacent asterisks):
> 
> **
> Vulcan once ruled Ackanomic.
> 
> Those players who were members of Vulcan on August 28, 1997 [/dev/joe,
> Malenkai, ThinMan, and Vynd] are Evil Overlords of Ackanomic
> (retired).  No other players and no non-players are Evil Overlords of
> Ackanomic (retired).
> 
> Gold Pocketwatches are unnamed, non-tradable, non-mimsy entities.  As
> the name suggests, they are ornate, pocket-sized timepieces made of
> pure gold.  Despite utilizing analog mechanical displays, Gold
> Pocketwatches are, in fact, miniature atomic clocks, and they would be
> exceedingly valuable if they were actually tradable.  Gold
> Pocketwatches may only be created, destroyed, or transferred as
> specified by this rule.  Gold Pocketwatches have no attributes, powers, 
> or effects other than those described by this rule.  Four Gold
> Pocketwatches are hereby immediately created, one in the possession of
> each of the four Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired), then this
> sentence is deleted from this rule.
> 
> Vulcan may disband itself as an organizational action, but will not
> be disbanded if it has zero (or fewer) members.  If ever none of the
> Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) is a member of Vulcan, then any
> of the Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) may join Vulcan as a
> public action with no Vulcan approval required; this right may not be
> restricted in any way.  If Vulcan ever disbands itself then this
> paragraph and the next two paragraphs of this rule are thereupon
> deleted from this rule.  If Vulcan's name is ever legally changed, then
> all instances of the string "Vulcan" in this rule are simultaneously
> replaced with Vulcan's new name. (The quotation marks in the previous
> sentence are delimiters only, not part of the specified string.)
> 
> Vulcan owns twelve adjacent kaas of land near the edge of Ackanomic.
> Upon those twelve kaas of land is Vulcan Headquarters, which is an
> Extravagant building.  Vulcan Headquarters is even bigger on the inside
> than on the outside -- indeed, some say that the interior is infinitely
> large.  Vulcan Headquarters also has a disturbing tendency of changing
> its appearance and floor plan from time to time, therefore Vulcan may
> change the description of Vulcan Headquarters at any time.  Vulcan
> may not trade, sell, or otherwise cease to be in possession of Vulcan
> Headquarters or the land on which it resides.  Vulcan, members of
> Vulcan, and the Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) shall be immune
> from any requirements associated with owning the land or building
> granted Vulcan by this rule, except those requirements specified by
> this rule.  Vulcan Headquarters is a Common Location.
> 
> Members of Vulcan and Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) are always
> permitted to enter Vulcan Headquarters; other players may ring the door
> chime, but are only permitted to enter if a Vulcan member grants
> permission.  Any player who is not a member of Vulcan may be forcefully
> ejected from Vulcan Headquarters (via catapult) by Vulcan.  Any member
> of Vulcan who is not an Evil Overlord of Ackanomic (retired) may be
> similarly ejected from Vulcan Headquarters by any Evil Overlord of
> Ackanomic (retired) who is a member of Vulcan.  Any Evil Overlord of
> Ackanomic (retired) may eject himself from Vulcan Headquarters.  Vulcan
> artillerists are unerringly accurate, and any player ejected from
> Vulcan Headquarters, as allowed by this rule, goes to his own home, if
> he has one, or to the Wilds of Ackanomia if he doesn't.  Vulcan
> artillerists do, however, require ammunition, so, notwithstanding the
> permissions granted above, only players who are in Vulcan Headquarters
> may be ejected from Vulcan Headquarters as described above.  Vulcan
> Headquarters has six 3500-meter tall ostentatious towers attached to
> it which are not associated with any player.
> 
> This rule may not be amended, changed in any way, or repealed, or for
> any reason cease to be in force, except as described in this rule.  If
> this rule conflicts with any other rule, then this rule shall guide
> play.  No new rule may be created which, if it conflicted with this
> one, would guide play instead of this one.  No rule may be amended or
> otherwise changed so that, if it conflicted with this one, it would
> guide play instead of this one.  No new rule may be created, nor any
> existing rule changed in any way so as to specify any alternative
> definition for any of the language of this rule.  The game state may
> not be altered in such a way as to cause the customary interpretation
> of this rule to be changed.  This rule shall still be interpreted
> according to game custom, however, and this rule shall not be
> interpreted so as to forbid its correct interpretation from being
> established via otherwise legal CFJ proceedings.  
> **
> 
> (5) Change the rules by repealing rule 4.
> 

I support suggested action (1).

I support suggested action (2).

I support suggested action (3).

I support suggested action (4).

I support suggested action (5).

                                -  Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #288
*******************************