Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #275
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Friday, August 29 1997        Volume 02 : Number 275

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:43:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Acka: Acka: Re: Did I miss CFJ 450?

> /dev/joe
> Uses NT at work now

Oh you poor soul :(  Mabye you can figure out how to get those
microsoft mail clients to work in a civilized way...

Which reminds me.  I'll be retiring the antique I am using now
and upgrading to a real computer this weekend, and stealing the modem
from this one, so if I go awol, that is what happened.  I still haven't
decided on the OS though ... $800 for NT server; $0 for Linux, hmmm...
As slow as I move, I might be using win95 for another 10 years :(

Its hard to believe I have 80 meg of acka-related e-mail on this
system.  One more piece to add to the pile ... and with Red Barn back,
the new 6.5G hard drive should come in handy :)  

Malenkai
unix hacker caught in a microsoft world

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:31:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Acka: Acka: Re: Did I miss CFJ 450?

> > I still hand code all html,

> I hand-coded the CFJ files when I was doing them (though I used templates
> which had the common parts all written out already). In fact, I did this
> sort of thing for most of the pages -- only a few special cases like the
> Player/Entity page were totally generated by computer.

Yeah, that all sounds very familiar.  So far I'm not finding it all that
overwhelming, which may be why I'm not encouraging Archie Leach more.  :-)
But we'll see what happens when Acrobot goes up and the pent-up Proposals
go surging forth.  At least I hopefully won't have to maintain the
Current Props page anymore.

> > and have a pretty lame computing environment here

> But I had a nice computing environment I was comfortable with, mainly
> because I was in control and set up everything I wanted under Linux
> the way I wanted it.  If I had been more into putting icons on my web page
> which show off my software, there would have been a "powered by emacs"
> icon at the bottom of the main page (together with the ones already there)
> and "powered by python" on the PE page.

I have to say here that the only reason there are any graphics on the
Ackanomic web pages is because they were there before.  I tend to be
opposed to the things in principle, from too many years of using lynx
over 2400 baud connections.  (Okay, not that many years of lynx, but I was
at 2400 baud for a long time.)  Still, if there are icons for being powered
by vi and Perl...:-)

If I could set up this machine as a Web server, I would, but that's not
gonna happen while I still have to go through Telusplanet.

> /dev/joe
> Uses NT at work now

Oh, poor thing.  Mind you, if I could use NT, I'd be able to answer about
ten times as many job ads as I am now.  And another factor of five if I
knew Oracle.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Echo & The Bunnymen:The Killing Moon
Current Book--Robert Silverberg:The New Springtime
These eyes are blind, this is a pure thing

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:45:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Ophidian

You know, since the Senate turned out not to be the Evil Tyrannical Ruling
Elite after all, it has become increasing apparent that The Death Star
looks like a snake to me.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--John Cougar Mellencamp:Rain On The Scarecrow
Current Book--Robert Silverberg:The New Springtime
I say, put Schrodinger in the box & see how HE likes it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 03:44:14 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Where do we go from here

[snip]
> Proposal 2285 is hereby immediately deemed invalid.
I see.

> (3)
> Change the rules by creating a new rule, entitled "Immunity" and
> numbered 3, with the following text (delimted by the next two pairs
> of adjacent ampersands):
> &&
> This is a rule of the Imperium.
> 
> Members of Vulcan may not be sent to Gaol for any reason.
> &&
> 
Tampering with the proposal queue. Making themselves immune from being
Gaoled. Now we see the true colors of the Evil Tyrannical Ruling Elite
revealed.

Citizens of Acka, if you have not already done so, I urge you to join the
Rebellion. Just think: tomorrow, it could be _your_ proposal that gets
canceled by the dictators. After that, who knows? You could find all your
points, A$ or trinkets being taken by Vulcan. Up till now, I had believed
that the members of Vulcan might have been sincere in their good
intentions. Now, even that last frail hope has been stripped from me.

Join the Rebellion!

Rex Mundi, Rebel, Priest of Azpiazu.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #275
*******************************