Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #272
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Thursday, August 28 1997       Volume 02 : Number 272

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:04:36 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: SBoC Random OC determination

> Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> Rolls also sent to:
>     [email-masked]
> 
> # Player: GF - 2
> # I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> # delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
> # schedule:
> # 1 - go fish
> # 2 - map shard
> # 3 - untouch me
> # 4 - share my expenses
> # 5 - share my income
> # 6 - swinging sale
> # 7 - tactical retreat
> # 8 - paratroop
> # 9 - foul fowl
> # 10 - truthseeker
> # 11 - fix my gadget
> # 12 - scientist for a day
> # 13 - art thief
> # 14 - skeleton key
> 
> No. of sides on every die:     14
> No. of dice for every roll:     1
> No. of dice rolls requested:    1
> No. of rolls per line:          1
> 
>      13

Guy Fawkes is being
groomed to rob the Museum
by the Dice Server?

> Information on the dice server:
>    YOU MUST REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
>    Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.
> 
>    For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
>    subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/
> 
>    The dice server is provided by:
> 
>       Shadow Island Games
>       http://www.pbm.com/ds.html
> 
> 
> Original message follows:
> > From [email-masked]  Tue Aug 26 17:30:59 1997
> > Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
> >       id RAA16174 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 26 Aug 1997 17:30:59 -0700
> > Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
> >       id sma016172; Tue Aug 26 17:30:54 1997
> > Received: from ppp100.itw.com (ppp100.itw.com [206.138.122.100]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id UAA16035 for <[email-masked]>; Tue, 26 
> Aug 1997 20:30:52 -0400
> > Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:30:09 -0400
> > From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> > X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; I; 16bit)
> > MIME-Version: 1.0
> > To: [email-masked]
> > Subject: g
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> >
> > #P [email-masked]
> > #S 14
> > #D 1
> > #R 1
> > #L 1
> > #T Acka: SBoC Random OC determination
> >
> > #C Player: GF - 2
> > #C I am using the dice server to determine the random otzma card
> > #C delivered from the spell book of chorg based on the following
> > #C schedule:
> > #C 1 - go fish
> > #C 2 - map shard
> > #C 3 - untouch me
> > #C 4 - share my expenses
> > #C 5 - share my income
> > #C 6 - swinging sale
> > #C 7 - tactical retreat
> > #C 8 - paratroop
> > #C 9 - foul fowl
> > #C 10 - truthseeker
> > #C 11 - fix my gadget
> > #C 12 - scientist for a day
> > #C 13 - art thief
> > #C 14 - skeleton key
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: 2.7
> 
> UiF+gJStU=qMBzFS+UP+BVuIPs+B+RVbMJgJFe+QvCMjD=nFTtBHf=UiBU+DIbOHfT
> uIF+HBnF+tUBuF,+BT=KVeHFe+Cz+Nf+(fH,+QSpQPtBM,=JQ,=DGK,+ZPSM+QMbZ,
> FUd),tIBmM+gJOe=UiF=QBSlB.+B+rVBmJGjFE+NFtTBhF+jTPoF+uIBu+DpOUbJOt
> UiF+xPSe="tFWfO"=JO+BOz+Pg+UiF+uIFtF=mBOhVBhFT:+FvTLbSB,=BmCBoJBo,
> XFMtI,+PS=MJuVBoJBo.
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Metropolis Soundtrack
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
I had my brain digitized.  The digit was 0.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:18:21 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: By The Way...

I am announcing the formation of an organization called "The organization
Vulcan".

By Rule 1, I am proposing that The organization Vulcan make the following
changes to the Game State(delimited by THEFORCE):

THEFORCE
Rule 411.1 is repealed.
Rule 5001 is repealed.
Rule 417 is amended so that clause 4) under "The following types of AOJs
are explicity prohibited:" is deleted.

The players Malenkai, ThinMan, and /dev/joe are each awarded a Badge of
Shame.  The player Vynd is awarded a Lesser Badge of Shame.  The players
Alfvaen and Whiz are each awarded a Badge of Rebellious Honour.

Finally, Rule 1 is repealed.
THEFORCE

As the sole member of The organization Vulcan, I am approving this
action, and this action is taken by The organization Vulcan.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sparks:In Outer Space
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
My whole life is on the tip of my tongue

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:13:07 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: By The Way...

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> I am announcing the formation of an organization called "The organization
> Vulcan".

heh. I request membership in "The organization Vulcan."

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:42:06 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Let's be Clear About This

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Since we are all being clear on this. I find the current situation boring.
> > If this is not resolved soon I might quit Ackanomic entirely.
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> > 
> 
> First of all let me say that I would be sad to see you go.  However, if
> you find the current situation boring, I don't see how it can be Vulcan's
> fault.  At the moment, game play is essentially unchanged from before the
> revolution.  Yes, there are dictators now, but we haven'tchanged
> Ackanomic into a game of Imperialist Nomic or anything.  We have no
> intention of simply dictating play from here on out.  The only places
> where we might be inclined to intervene would be direct attempts to remove
> us from power.  I was glad tosee this stuff happening, even before I was
> a part of Vulcan, because *I* was getting bored with the way things were
> going back then.  Nothing much at all was happening, with hardly any
> proposals being written and everyone sort of sitting around to see what
> would happen when /dev/joe and Chaos left their posts.  This is much more
> interesting.  So feel free to try and throw us out, or if that bores you,
> just go ahead and do the same kind of stuff you always did.  But don't
> blame the boredom on Vulcan please.

I've got quite a few proposals waiting here now but I see no point in
submitting any of them. What's the point of submitting proposals if my
work can be overturned at someone's whim?

I've stated before that I think the coup was a very good demonstration. It
drove home a point I was trying to make for a very long time. Good. It's
Done. Carrying this on is no different than the Underworld Strike, which I
recall was not supported by players who are currently players of Vulcan.
Also I take personal offense at the way name of Vulcan has been tarnished
in this manner.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:48:22 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Committee for Understanding

I am anouncing that I am joining the Comittee for Understanding

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:49:18 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: donation

The Church thanks Follower Whiz for this Donation.

Niccolo Flychuck
Church Founder

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Chuck S Smith wrote:

> I donate 200 A$ to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.
> 
> 	--Whiz
> 
> If you reply on Friday (8/29) or later, please reply to
> [email-masked] because I will be switching to a new address.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:21:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: By The Way...

>I am announcing the formation of an organization called "The organization
>Vulcan".

  BwaHaHa!

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:34:36 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: By The Way...

Alfvaen wrote:

> I am announcing the formation of an organization called "The
> organization
> Vulcan".
> 
Heh.  It seems somehow appropriate to be hit with an attack via
Malenkai's Loophole.  We will just have to see about this.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:35:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IN Proposal 346

> > There is one new Internomic proposal, numbered 346, attached
> > below, submitted by Guy Fawkes of Ackanomic.  
> > 
> > I now initiate a vote on the matter.  As the PCI has fewer than 4
> > members, this vote shall be taken by a joint assembly of the PCI
> > and the Senate, as described in rule 419.2  

> As a member of the PCI, I vote Yes on this.
> 
> Rex Mundi, Rebel and Priest of Azpiazu.

As a member of the Senate, I vote NO.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 06:44:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I turn my back for 5 seconds and you kids do what?

>> I returned from vacation on August 7 at 0000 hours. I should be
>> currently a non-voting player.
> 
> Unfortunately, I never saw this return message.  I seem to recall
> having missed a recent "Potato & Aliens" message, though, so maybe
> it was around the same time.  Maybe it got lost like ThinMan's
> vacation last month.  :-)

Well, it's entirely possible you saw it, but didn't recognize it as
being a return from vacation. It's not clear to me at all that it was,
although I can see that it was intended to be. Here is the actual
message:

> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 00:39:48 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Ping
> 
> Hullo
> 
> Tons of stuff has been going on I see. I've briefly skimmed through
> everything. In no particular order...
> 
> [... random responses to messages deleted ...]
> 
> I'll be away till Sunday also - I know, I know... Robert Sevin, I'll
> try and drop by sometime, I hope classes are going well. And for
> everyone taking classes this summer. Ditto for those among us
> working.
> 
> Still not sure I'm grasping the changes in Acka
> Calvin N Hobbes

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:03:05 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka : Leaving Seleya

I am leaving the Church of Seleya.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:48:55 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 450 (two-star)

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> two-star has been chosen
>

I accept cfj 450
 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------> Call For Judgment 450
>   Subject: Repealing rule 411.1
> Initiator: Guy Fawkes
>     Judge: two-star (selected Aug 26, 1997, 18:58h EDT)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:33:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: By The Way...

> Alfvaen wrote:

> > I am announcing the formation of an organization called "The
> > organization
> > Vulcan".

> Heh.  It seems somehow appropriate to be hit with an attack via
> Malenkai's Loophole.  We will just have to see about this.

I thought it seemed the thing to do, though it was Whiz's suggestion that
sparked the idea, hence the "Rebellion Badge of Honour".  Anyway, I will of
course be playing the thread in which this action succeeded until it is
ruled invalid, or I am otherwise convinced it didn't work.

(I thought of giving myself a cycle win at the same time, but decided not
to because it was a pain the last time one thread included an end-of-cycle
and the other did not, and that was when /dev/joe was harfing everything.
:-)  In retrospect, I should've given myself a Paisley Grapefruit that
would grant me the cycle win when I used it, safely after the thread split
was over...oh, well.  Another time.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Hair Soundtrack
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
words dissemble, words be quick, words resemble walkingsticks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:38:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: I turn my back for 5 seconds and you kids do what?

> Well, it's entirely possible you saw it, but didn't recognize it as
> being a return from vacation. It's not clear to me at all that it was,
> although I can see that it was intended to be. Here is the actual
> message:

> > Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 00:39:48 -0500 (CDT)
> > From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
> > Subject: Acka: Ping

[deletia]

> > I'll be away till Sunday also - I know, I know... Robert Sevin, I'll
> > try and drop by sometime, I hope classes are going well. And for
> > everyone taking classes this summer. Ditto for those among us
> > working.

See, and I thought this paragraph meant that he _wasn't_ back from vacation
yet.

But I suppose there is another difference between the two threads.  If he
had returned on August 7th, he loses 20 points from the multiple quorum
failure.  If he hadn't, he was impeached from the Office of Archaeologist a
week or so ago.

Also, I'm not sure, but on further reading of the Rules I think that we've
been doing the "return from quorum failure" thing wrong.  Non-Voting
players should not become Active when they declare the intention to become
Voting again, but should become Pending.  Does anyone disagree with this
interpretation?  It won't make much difference except to those who didn't
vote on P2278(or whatever it was), but if someone who wasn't legally Active
was selected for something...

On the other hand, since I don't recall everyone having to become Pending
after the last quorum failure crisis back in May, maybe CSR should take
care of this one too.  I dunno.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Hair Soundtrack
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
Take a fantastic multimedia voyage inside your own body!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:42:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka : Leaving Seleya

> I am leaving the Church of Seleya.

This leaves only two delegates to the Synod, I believe, so it is no longer
in session.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Hair Soundtrack
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
If Jesus was jewish, why did he have a Mexican name?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:46:47 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I am retracting Proposal 2282.  If The organization Vulcan's actions
succeeded, then it is unnecessary, and if not, as ThinMan pointed out,
411.1 is almost irrelevant anyway, and I'm sure the ETRE will clean it up
behind them when they step down.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Keith Richards:Talk Is Cheap
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
Can I have it all now?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:32:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I turn my back for 5 seconds and you kids do what?

Alfvaen wroteL
> Also, I'm not sure, but on further reading of the Rules I think that we've
> been doing the "return from quorum failure" thing wrong.  Non-Voting
> players should not become Active when they declare the intention to become
> Voting again, but should become Pending.  Does anyone disagree with this
> interpretation?

I don't think it was intended to be this way, but rule 254 does say that
when a non-voting player changes to a voting player, e begins as pending.

The wording that would make it work most consistently is "E begins as
Active if e has been an active player some time since the time he most
recently joined Ackanomic; otherwise e begins as Pending."

On the other hand, perhaps it *was* intended this way, as a form of
super multiple-quorum-failure prevention.  As the rule reads now, when
a proposal fails to meet quorum, you shouldn't have to worry about a
second quorum failure 3-4 days later due to a bunch of players returning
from non-voting status but still forgetting to vote.  In fact, it's
probably a better method for doing this than the 3-day-return thing
(which we should keep but make only apply to voluntary changes to
non-voting status).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:02:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I turn my back for 5 seconds and you kids do what?

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> 
> On the other hand, since I don't recall everyone having to become Pending
> after the last quorum failure crisis back in May, maybe CSR should take
> care of this one too.  I dunno.
> 

heh, the way you keep bringing this one up I'm starting to think you're
bitter about not getting the CSSR job. :)  As I have stated before, I do
not see it as the duty of the CSSR to correct every flaw in the rules that
gets uncovered with CSRs.  I did once toy with the idea of doing a CSR for
every centruy in the ruleset, but after I found about 20 or so problems
(all minor) in the 200s, I decided this would be impractical.  If the flaw
is serious enough that it needs to be dealt with, someone shuld write a
proposal, not just point it out to me.  If the flaw is so serious taht it
would  be bad to wait the week or so it would take for a proposal to go
through, then I will bemore than happy to write up a CSR.  

                                    - Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Hair Soundtrack
> Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
> Take a fantastic multimedia voyage inside your own body!
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:03:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Proposals By Player

I will have an updated Proposals by Player page on the main Acka page
shortly.  In the meantime, having had another ten Proposals pass since his
last one, I am awarding Malenkai a Silver Stripe, in my capacity as
President.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Burton Cummings:Share The Land
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
"Stop that rhyming! I mean it!" "Anybody got a peanut?"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:17:26 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: I turn my back for 5 seconds and you kids do what?

> > On the other hand, since I don't recall everyone having to become Pending
> > after the last quorum failure crisis back in May, maybe CSR should take
> > care of this one too.  I dunno.

> heh, the way you keep bringing this one up I'm starting to think you're
> bitter about not getting the CSSR job. :)

No, not really...but if I was CSRR, I would have submitted CSR's for each
one of those occasions.

> As I have stated before, I do
> not see it as the duty of the CSSR to correct every flaw in the rules that
> gets uncovered with CSRs. I did once toy with the idea of doing a CSR for
> every centruy in the ruleset, but after I found about 20 or so problems
> (all minor) in the 200s, I decided this would be impractical.  If the flaw
> is serious enough that it needs to be dealt with, someone shuld write a
> proposal, not just point it out to me.  If the flaw is so serious taht it
> would  be bad to wait the week or so it would take for a proposal to go
> through, then I will bemore than happy to write up a CSR.  

What I think CSR's are for is fixing the Rules when the way we've been
reading them for months is not the way they actually work.  Some people
would rather let retroactivity handle the older stuff and wrench the more
recent stuff back into alignment with the Rules and cause a hassle in doing
so.  Of course, I'm not sure if a CSR would obviate the need for that...

In any case, I had my own ideas to revamp quorum failure, which I should
submit sometime.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Burton Cummings:Share The Land
Current Book--Terence M. Green:Shadow of Ashland
Hearts have not been broken.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 23:36:19 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: forthcoming CFCJ's

> I am proposing that the Committee for Understanding have an open
> membership policy: that is, players may join it without the consent of
> the rest of the organization.
> 
I wish to join the CfU.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:37:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 142 (Rex Mundi)

Rex Mundi has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 142
  Subject: Zuriti'ili
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: Rex Mundi (selected Aug 28, 1997, 19:36h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

/dev/joe has committed a Crime.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning:

The accused has committed the horrific act of Zuriti'ili.  Zuriti'ili is
described in the Rules as a heinous Crime, and it is said that is not
even mentioned except in the most perverse circles.  The mention of
Zuriti'ili being discussed in circles suggests that it may be a group
activity, at least in some cases.  Thus, Zuriti'ili may be a heinous
group activity.

I can think of few nomic activities more heinous than blatant disrespect
for one's fellow player's good judgment.  The Vulcan party has committed
this disrespect.  Throughout their consolidation of power, there has been
a not so thinly veiled tone that they feel they are doing this for the
good of Ackanomic, and that they have an agenda of portions of the game
that they wish to radically alter before they give up power.

This alone is no Crime; however, the desire to do it by absolute power is
the blatant disrespect that Zuriti'ili must represent.  Why did they not
accomplish this agenda through a popular vote on proposals?  Perhaps they
feel such proposals would not have passed, yet somehow must be instituted
for Acka's own good.  I am insulted by this tone of this coup that they
threaten to do things that Acka would do for itself if it had the good
reasoning to figure it out for itself.  It is utterly contemptful of
one's fellow player, despicably paternalistic, and unforgivably
pedagogical.  It is one of the most heinous Crimes possible in nomic
- -- it transends the rules and cuts right to the heart of human
interaction.  It must be Zuriti'ili, the unspeakable sin.

Perhaps I am wrong and misread their motives.  But if I am, why have they
remained dictators for so long and not given up their power.  The
suggestion that they might "fix a few things then give it up" appalls
me.  I would actually prefer they just turn Acka into Imperial Nomic.  I
desperately hope this delay in returning the game to a more democratic
state is not a sign of the truth of my misgivings, but I fear it is.

Suggested Penalty: 

10 days in Gaol.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:41:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 143 (Balsamic Dragon)

Balsamic Dragon has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 143
  Subject: Zuriti'ili
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: Balsamic Dragon (selected Aug 28, 1997, 19:41h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Malenkai has committed a Crime.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning:

This is also an accusation of Zuriti'ili.  The reasoning follows much the
same lines as the previous CFCJ against /dev/joe.  As a member to the
guilty organization, the accused has committed Zuriti'ili.

Suggested Penalty: 

10 days in Gaol.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:49:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 144 (two-star)

two-star has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 144
  Subject: Zuriti'ili
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: two-star (selected Aug 28, 1997, 19:49h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Vynd has committed a Crime.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning:

This is the third of these accusations of Zuriti'ili.  Although he is
probably the least culpable of the Vulcans, he chose to affliate himself
with Vulcan to share in the Zuriti'ili *spit*, and so must suffer the
same fate as the rest of the organization.

Suggested Penalty:

10 days in Gaol.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:52:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 145

Balsamic Dragon has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 145
  Subject: Zuriti'ili
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: Balsamic Dragon (selected Aug 28, 1997, 19:52h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

ThinMan has committed a Crime.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning:

Whosoever alters the rules so that they do not constrain their actions in
any effective manner has demonstrated a lack of respect for the Rules.
At one time, I would have laughed at such an accusation directed toward
ThinMan.  Now I must cry at it.  ThinMan's demonstrated lack of respect
for both the Rules and the good sense of his fellow players, as
demonstrated by his regretful participation in Vulcan's holding the game
hostage, is irrefutable evidence of Zuriti'ili.

This concludes my Phillipics.  Let the Vulcans let the randomly selected
Judges decide their fates, unless they feel their dictatorial good sense
truly should supersede the beliefs of Acka's populace, and regrettably
prove my accusations true.

Suggested Penalty:

10 days in Gaol.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:00:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 451 (Balsamic Dragon)

Balsamic Dragon (again) has been chosen

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 451
  Subject: Points are Points,  wherever they come from
Initiator: Voting Gnome
    Judge: Balsamic Dragon (selected Aug 28, 1997, 20:00h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

If two or more Players become Active simultaneously,  Whamiols award
Points for each Player becoming Active.

Voting Gnome's Reasoning:

While I can't quote the current wording of the Whamiol Blueprint right
now,  I do remember it saying something along the lines of "when a Player
becomes Active",  not "whenever one or more Players become Active".  The
intent was the the Player should activate the point award,  not the time
frame of the event.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:04:42 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 452 (Balsamic Dragon)

Balsamic Dragon (again again) has been chosen.  The die is once again
very weird.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgment 452
  Subject: The organization Vulcan
Initiator: ThinMan
    Judge: Balsamic Dragon (selected Aug 28, 1997, 20:04h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The organization named "The organization Vulcan" was at no time
empowered by the rules to change the rules.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

IF CFJ 450 is judged true, then this CFJs statement is trivially
true.  We will assume, therefore, that CFJ 450 is judged False.

In that case, there is or was a rule 1, entitled "Let's be Clear
About This," which was created on August 26th.  The entire text of this
rule 1 is:

        The organization Vulcan is empowered to, as an organizational
        action, make any change whatsoever to the rules or game state.

        If ever this rule's number is not 1, its number is immediately
        changed to 1.

        This rule takes precedence over all other rules except rule
        101.

Late August 27th, Alfvaen created an organization named "The
organization Vulcan" and attempted to have it invoke rule 1 to make
several changes to the rules.  I claim that rule 1 never empowered the
organization The organization Vulcan to do any such thing.

I assert that between the creation of rule 1 and the creation of the
organization The organization Vulcan [membership: Alfvaen], rule 1
permitted the organization Vulcan [membership: /dev/joe, Malenkai,
ThinMan, Vynd] to make changes to the rules as an organizational
action.  This was the only reasonable interpretation of the rule that
attributed any meaning whatsoever to the first clause.  All public
opinion appeared to agree with this interpretation, which constitutes
about as much game custom as can be ascribed to a new rule.

After Alfvaen created the organization The organization Vulcan
[membership: Alfvaen], there were four possible interpretations of
rule 1:

(1) Rule 1 did not permit either organization to make changes to the
    rules.

(2) Rule 1 permitted both organizations to make changes to the rules.

(3) Rule 1 permitted only the organization The organization Vulcan
    [membership: Alfvaen] to change the rules.

(4) Rule 1 permitted only the organization Vulcan [membership:
    /dev/joe, Malenkai, ThinMan, Vynd] to change the rules.

I do not think interpretation (1) is supportable, but it would
indicate a verdict of True anyway.

The most interesting question, I think, is whether interpretation (2)
is reasonable.  I say not.  I argue that the words "The organization
Vulcan" in rule 1 specify a single organization; the rule is open to
interpretation about which organization it specifies, but a single
interpretation (one of (3) or (4)) must be chosen [hence this CFJ].
My further remarks assume that interpretation (2) is incorrect.

For this CFJ to be judged False implies, then, that the simple creation
of the organization The organization Vulcan [membership: Alfvaen]
caused the correct interpretation of Rule 1 to change.  I find it a
dangerous concept that a change in the game state could, in effect,
actuate a change in the Rules, and I hope that the court will find this
an unreasonable interpretation.  If so, then this CFJ is True.

Even if the Court judges that it is _possible_ for the creation of
Alfvaen's organization to change the interpretation of rule 1, however,
the Court must still determine whether it actually did so.  Given the
text of rule 1, and two organizations, one named "Vulcan" and predating
the creation of the rule and one named "The organization Vulcan" and
having been created after the rule, to which organization does the rule
then apply?  Even if it were _possible_ that a change in the game state
potentially could, in general, effect a change in the interpretation of
the rules, I see no compelling reason why it should do so in this case.
Lacking such reason, I argue that no change of the correct
interpretation occured, and thus that this CFJ is True.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:07:16 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Poet Laureate

breadbox is elected poet laureate 5-3.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:08:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mad Scientist

The following have volunteered for Mad Scientist.  The election
lasts for 3 days:

Red Barn
Rex Mundi

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:09:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Niccolo)

breadbox did not report what Phoebe said.  She has been found by
Niccolo.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:33:29 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:Processing Chips

Although I have attempted to align myself with the EO's,  in accordance
with the desires of the now-departed Mr. Lunatic Fringe,  I will agree to
sell all my PC's to **two-star.  However,  in keeping with my new
alliance,  I must insist that the price be A$5 per Chip.

Voting Gnome

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:39:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassadorness

Rule 419.1 seems to require that I post the following information:

1) Rishonomic has been reported to have crashed beyond 'interesting repair'.
A new nomic, New Rishonomic, has joined Internomic as a non-voting player.

2) Apparently Pumpkin Patch is "mobilizing for war".  When I was a player
there, they were discussing invading Ackanomic.  The following 
incoherent babble was posted on the internomic list last night.

- -----

Big Internomic Patch,

I submit to you the following, submitted to me by the big TAF KAB.  The
patch appears to be mobilizing for war.

>Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:45:43 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Bob B. Tyler" <[email-masked]>
>X-Sender: btyler@coinc0
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: aid
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>
>er phil?,
>enclosed please find one U, one X, one E, one A
>
>and from katchina: two R's, three G's, and one big BEER.
>
>the axolotl will give to the first ackanomian freedom fighter to join the
>patch the zombie malenkai (who is currently smoking his last cigarette and
>looking around plaintively for a blindfold)
>
>also, i include all six of my points
>
>I am sending along the lowercase u as a red cross observer to ensure that
>the aid goes to those most in need in these desperate times
>i have decided also to send along a lowercase b and a t
>TAFKAB
>ps er phil, please post this post to internomic so that the international
>community knows that the patch at least is dedicated to the rights of all
>entities regardless of whatever twisted objectives FIG may have in secret
>from us all
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:27:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket + Treasure

[I promised to do this back when I buried Orion's Crystal.]

I am creating a new trinket worth A$25, called A GAMES T-Shirt. It is a
bright red XL T-shirt with the GAMES Magazine logo in white, red, and black.

I am burying A GAMES T-Shirt as a treasure, with the following map:

When a player publicly posts the location of a GAMES Magazine Hidden
Contest which has never been publicly posted before, and does so at
least one week before the end (in New York City) of the day entries
are due for that contest, e shall find this treasure.
Players are asked to put SPOILER warnings in the subject of such
messages so that others who haven't yet given up may keep searching.

(The 20th anniversary issue now on sale has a hidden contest, which I have
not found yet, but if it is typical, I will find it before somebody posts it
publicly.)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:21:20 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Patch Things

This is a message direct to the citizens of Ackanomic.  I come as a
representive of the Pumpkin Patch Nomic, on behalf of the corrupt unPumpkin
Coyote, and with the consent of the majority of patchkins.  I am not the
Mr. Lunatic Fringe you all knoew and loved.  I am er, phil, or possibly
harfa, special intelligence officer from the patch.

I have been instructed to offer Aid and Comfort to the rebliion and offers
of care packages containing letter products and points.  I have been
instructed to inform the Tyranical Ruliung Elite that there time will come,
and they will soon be "The First Against The Wall when the rebellion
comes".  Oni invits all members of the rebellion to leave "Ackra" and join
the patch so that the Tyranical Ruling Elite are left "Playing with
themselves".

That is all.
Patch out.

er, Phil

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #272
*******************************