Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #264
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Thursday, August 21 1997       Volume 02 : Number 264

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 23:21:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Have Fun

I've tried to make this hard enough that somebody isn't going to solve it
in 15 minutes and post the answer, but I'm no Stanley Newman, this is not
going to be that difficult, so give it a shot even if you don't think
you'll be the first one to solve this.  I'm no Henry Hook either, I
apologize for the large number of short words I needed to make the map fit.

View/print in a fixed width font like Courier or this will look
like gobbledegook.

|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|1  |2  |3  |###|4  |5  |6  |7  |###|###|8  |9  |10 |###|###|
|   |   |   |###|   |   |   |   |###|###|   |   |   |###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|11 |   |   |###|12 |   |   |   |###|13 |   |   |   |###|###|
|   |   |   |###|   |   |   |   |###|   |   |   |   |###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|14 |   |   |15 |   |   |   |   |16 |   |   |   |   |###|###|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|17 |   |   |###|###|18 |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|###|
|###|   |   |   |###|###|   |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|19 |   |20 |21 |###|###|22 |   |   |###|23 |24 |25 |
|###|###|   |   |   |   |###|###|   |   |   |###|   |   |   |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|###|26 |   |   |27 |###|###|###|28 |29 |   |   |   |
|###|###|###|   |   |   |   |###|###|###|   |   |   |   |   |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|###|###|30 |   |   |31 |32 |33 |###|34 |   |   |   |
|###|###|###|###|   |   |   |   |   |   |###|   |   |   |   |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|###|35 |   |   |   |   |   |   |36 |   |###|###|###|
|###|###|###|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|37 |38 |39 |   |###|40 |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|###|###|
|   |   |   |   |###|   |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|41 |   |   |   |42 |###|###|###|43 |   |   |44 |###|###|###|
|   |   |   |   |   |###|###|###|   |   |   |   |###|###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|45 |   |   |###|46 |47 |48 |###|###|49 |   |   |50 |###|###|
|   |   |   |###|   |   |   |###|###|   |   |   |   |###|###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|###|51 |   |   |   |52 |53 |###|###|54 |   |55 |###|
|###|###|###|   |   |   |   |   |   |###|###|   |   |   |###|
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|56 |   |   |   |   |   |   |57 |58 |   |   |   |59 |
|###|###|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|60 |   |   |   |###|61 |   |   |   |###|62 |   |   |
|###|###|   |   |   |   |###|   |   |   |   |###|   |   |   |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|###|###|63 |   |   |###|###|64 |   |   |   |###|65 |   |   |
|###|###|   |   |   |###|###|   |   |   |   |###|   |   |   |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

Across                                Down
1. Fire leftover                      1. Cleopatra's bane
4. Mix                                2. Tater
8. Swimsuit top                       3. Compulsion
11. Resort                            4. Star Wars (abbr.)
12. Style of art                      5. Tic ___ toe
13. Chair                             6. Unutilized
14. Part 1 of the map                 7. Skates
17. Succumb                           8. John or Paul, formerly
18. Property                          9. Pace
19. Projections                       10. Devoured
22. Designer inits.                   13. Depots (abbr.)
23. Small shelter                     15. Don't follow
26. Information                       16. Pen
28. Delete                            20. Composer who died in 1750
30. He controls the bleeps            21. Navigate
34. Michael J. played him             23. Famous computer of fiction
35. Part 2 of the map                 24. Application
37. 70's band                         25. John Ritter's dad
40. Competing                         27. Palindromic name
41. Improve one's weaponry            29. Flying grp. of Britain
43. Plastic cover                     31. Pouch
45. Limit                             32. Skip
46. Night bird                        33. Of the kidneys
49. Low fat                           35. Sailor
51. Customer                          36. Monster
54. Animation frame                   37. Exist
56. Part 3 of the map                 38. An Ackanomic player
60. Skin irritation                   39. Evil
61. Follow                            42. Bother
62. Compass point                     44. Treaty
63. Likely                            47. Desire
64. TV award                          48. Kareem, originally
65. Crimson                           50. More recent
                                      51. Lad
                                      52. Jot
                                      53. Mine car
                                      55. Row
                                      56. La la preceder
                                      57. Faint
                                      58. Tricky
                                      59. Homer's neighbor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:32:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Web-Harfing

I'm about to upload an updated Portrait Gallery(with empty frames for all
the new players), Hall of Elders(with such information as I think
appropriate and relevant for our newly departed), and Grab-A-Donkey(with
the victory of Robert Sevin).  Also, the main page should be updated not
only with these new links, but with the BASE HREF tag taken out and
explicit links everywhere not on my site, so that Red Barn can see the
pages too.

So let me know if I've screwed up anything on any of those pages, and I'll
try to fix it.  Though I won't be in Linux tomorrow, probably, so it won't
get fixed until Friday or so, but I'll still know I'm supposed to fix it.
:-)  (Tomorrow is also thus a good day to send me email attachments, since
I'll be using Eudora.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Friends Soundtrack
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Ride that camel through the eye of a phonograph needle

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:54:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chaos's Day

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to doing the Hall of Elders stuff.  (I
see that the Historian has some duties here too...:-)  Anyway, I managed to
find the date Mr. Lunatic Fringe joined the game on his old registrar page,
but the entry for Chaos(Mohammed) on that page simply says "Joined 4th of
existing players".  If any Slumbering Giants out there have any better
information, render it unto me, otherwise I'll go with the day he left as
the next choice.

Portrait Gallery and Grab-A-Donkey results will be updated sometime tonight.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Friends Soundtrack
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Everybody has something to hide except for me and my squid.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Chaos's Day

> Okay, so I'm finally getting around to doing the Hall of Elders
> stuff.  (I see that the Historian has some duties here too...:-)
> Anyway, I managed to find the date Mr. Lunatic Fringe joined the
> game on his old registrar page, but the entry for Chaos(Mohammed) on
> that page simply says "Joined 4th of existing players".  If any
> Slumbering Giants out there have any better information, render it
> unto me, otherwise I'll go with the day he left as the next choice.

Funny you should mention this ... I just compiled a list of this
information for everybody last night.

Some of the times might be off by an hour, due to my rendering the
time zones back to Acka time, but otherwise it's accurate.

I'll send it to you priavtely at once.

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:10:41 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

>Lushrike is such that any new
>parts would be rejected.

How come this didn't cause the completion of the Lushrike?

Just wondering...

Mr. Luatic "They stilll call me Dead" Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:32:37 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hi from NJ.

>Florie,
>  How are things there?  Everything here is mimsy.  I'd rather it wasn't,
>but I never could tell it what to do...  anyway, I'm nonportable, so is
>everyone else; hope you are too.
>  See you in Cow Town later this year!
>  Bifour here/now.
>Dan

I knew it....

Phil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

>> Lushrike is such that any new
>> parts would be rejected.
> 
> How come this didn't cause the completion of the Lushrike?
> 
> Just wondering...

This refers to Lushrike itself, not the Blueprint. Remember, it was
the Blueprint that was being built, not Lushrike.

For example, if I built a Mad Scientist's Blueprint for a Monster
called Mournblade, and it contained the sentence: "Mournblade
diminishes in size by half every week", this would not mean that half
of the Blueprint would be removed, but that Mournblade would get
shorter.

This was why Malenkai had to supply an indirectly self-referential
sentence for his win attempt.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:55:50 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

>This was why Malenkai had to supply an indirectly self-referential
>sentence for his win attempt.
>
>breadbox

Good point.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
dead

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:24:01 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mournblade

I thought I heard the name "Mournblade" as if in a dream.
Something compels me to create a trinket named Mournblade, worth 100 A$, 
with the following description:

It is not really a sword, but rather one of those kitchy sword-shaped 
letter openers they sell to tourists in Spain. It is extremely powerful, 
however, and has the tendancy to put a terrible curse on anyone who 
reminds it of the above fact. 

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:47:55 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Have Fun

> 
> I've tried to make this hard enough that somebody isn't going to solve it
> in 15 minutes and post the answer, but I'm no Stanley Newman, this is not
> going to be that difficult, so give it a shot even if you don't think
> you'll be the first one to solve this.  I'm no Henry Hook either, I
> apologize for the large number of short words I needed to make the map
fit.
> 
Hey, it was a good puzzle!  No really forced words and plenty of clues
which have more than one obvious meaning.  (I though tarp's were usually
cloth tho?)  Too bad someone beat me to the win.  Although..., next time
let us know when you will be posting the puzzle so that those of us who
can't routinely stay up until 12:30 a.m. can have a go?

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 07:57:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stormbringer

breadbox wrote:
> For example, if I built a Mad Scientist's Blueprint for a Monster
> called Mournblade, and it contained the sentence: "Mournblade
> diminishes in size by half every week", this would not mean that half
> of the Blueprint would be removed, but that Mournblade would get
> shorter.

breadbox has found the treasure containing Stormbringer.
Be careful with it. :-)

SPOILERS follow (stop reading now if you want to solve the puzzle yourself;
the map clue in the puzzle and actual map are posted below)


The map clue in the puzzle read: "Publicly state the name of the sword's
twin." This referred to the buried sword, Stormbringer, of course.
The actual map was "Publicly say Mournblade."

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:20:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Have Fun

Balsamic Dragon wrote:
> Hey, it was a good puzzle!  No really forced words and plenty of clues
> which have more than one obvious meaning.  (I though tarp's were usually
> cloth tho?)  Too bad someone beat me to the win.  Although..., next time
> let us know when you will be posting the puzzle so that those of us who
> can't routinely stay up until 12:30 a.m. can have a go?

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I spent a couple hours throwing out "forced" words
I didn't like and trying to come up with more creative clues, clues with
more than one meaning, etc.

As to my intro to that puzzle, I was reminded of one of Henry Hook's most
amazing accomplishments when I was writing his name last night.  Many years
ago in Games magazine they printed a bogus crossword in an April issue
with an amazingly wide-open grid -- a line of 3 black squares protruding
from each edge and a diagonal strip of 9 black squares were all the black
in a 15x15 grid.  The puzzle was written so that the answer to every clue
was zero or nothing, etc., so the solution was to leave the grid blank.
A year or so later, Henry Hook sent in a completed crossword using that
grid, and Games printed the grid in the Eureka section (rather than as a
regular puzzle).  Many of the entries were horribly contrived; the one
that sticks in my mind is ININETEEN, an interstate highway.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 06:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Have Fun

>> Hey, it was a good puzzle!  No really forced words and plenty of
>> clues which have more than one obvious meaning.  (I though tarp's
>> were usually cloth tho?)  Too bad someone beat me to the win.
>> Although..., next time let us know when you will be posting the
>> puzzle so that those of us who can't routinely stay up until 12:30
>> a.m. can have a go?
> 
> I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I spent a couple hours throwing out
> "forced" words I didn't like and trying to come up with more
> creative clues, clues with more than one meaning, etc.

I was also impressed. The fact that the crossword conformed to all the
standard requirements (diagonally symmetric, no one- or two-letter
words) was not lost on me.

> As to my intro to that puzzle, I was reminded of one of Henry Hook's most
> amazing accomplishments when I was writing his name last night....

I've seen the joke puzzle (Martin Gardner reprinted it in an article
about the subject of nothing), but not Hook's version. Wow.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: 21 Aug 1997 08:27:05 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Oh Mr. Web-Harfer...

	CFJ Archive 401-415 is corrupted (i.e., truncates download less
withing the first CFJ contained).
- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:03:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

> >> Lushrike is such that any new
> >> parts would be rejected.
> > 
> > How come this didn't cause the completion of the Lushrike?
> > 
> > Just wondering...

> This refers to Lushrike itself, not the Blueprint. Remember, it was
> the Blueprint that was being built, not Lushrike.

> For example, if I built a Mad Scientist's Blueprint for a Monster
> called Mournblade, and it contained the sentence: "Mournblade
> diminishes in size by half every week", this would not mean that half
> of the Blueprint would be removed, but that Mournblade would get
> shorter.

Right.  mr cwm's first attempt was the sentence "Lushrike's Blueprint is
such that any new parts would be rejected."  However, this was invalid
because the original sentence read "_Its_ Blueprint..."(emphasis mine), and
there is no way that I can interpret the "it" in "its" to be a noun phrase,
any more than I could have replaced "her arm" with "Lushrike's arm".
(A normal noun with a possessive in 's, yes, but not a personal pronoun's 
possessive form.)

If there were some sentence that said "Each contract shall contract every
week", I wouldn't let that be turned into "Each Lushrike shall Lushrike
every week", either.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Odds:Neapolitan
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Be inconsistent--but don't do it all the time.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:15:00 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Chaos's Day

Kudos to breadbox for sending me a list of when _every_ player that ever
was in Ackanomic joined the game, or close enough that I wouldn't know any
different.  I am thus able to announce unequivocally that Chaos's Day is
March 11th.

I'm somewhat curious as to whether the Elders' Holidays are really Holidays
as regards the Rules, i.e. whether or not every time one comes up all
periods are extended by one day.  'Cause I'm sure we passed over a couple
in my time(Guy Fawkes's Day, for instance), and I don't remember that
happening at all.  But I don't know whether the Rules work that way or not.
The way I read it, they might...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Odds:Neapolitan
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
When I hit a block of prose in a book, I just skip right over it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 20:26:33 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Have fun

Hrm. I am destroying mournblade for A$. Guess I should have checked the 
other messages before I made that. Oh, well. For me the hard part was 
wading through Moorcock fan pages on the web to find the answer; the 
crossword was relatively simple.
I think it should be just as simple StEo find the curious clock...
but maybe I overestimated you guys. ;-)

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:50:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh Mr. Web-Harfer...

> 	CFJ Archive 401-415 is corrupted (i.e., truncates download less
> withing the first CFJ contained).

I am assuming Cerebus was looking at the ones on wilma.  This file
was indeed corrupted.  This is a problem that has been bugging me for
a long time now.  Every month or two, one or a few files get corrupted like
that.  I have become convinced that apache is somehow at fault, because it
is always web files that are retrieved often which have the problem - so
I've been keeping spare copies of important web files.  I restored this
file by extracting it out of the cfj + proposal archive I packaged up for
snowgod to put on his web space, but since he left I guess that isn't going
to happen. 

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:13:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mournblade

>It is not really a sword, but rather one of those kitchy sword-shaped 
>letter openers they sell to tourists in Spain. It is extremely powerful, 
>however, and has the tendancy to put a terrible curse on anyone who 
>reminds it of the above fact. 

  I am reminding Mournblade that it is extremely powerful and used bad
grammar. :-)

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 21 Aug 1997 11:28:11 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

[email-masked] writes:

> [...]

	Shall I assume from the complete lack of response that no-one's
interested and should therefore discontinue development? 

- -- 
Archie Leach <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:45:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

>	Shall I assume from the complete lack of response that no-one's
>interested and should therefore discontinue development? 

  (Rubs eyes) "Um... interested in what?"

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:23:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

> [email-masked] writes:

> > [...]

> 	Shall I assume from the complete lack of response that no-one's
> interested and should therefore discontinue development? 

Not in my case, at least...  I just haven't had time to go over it in
depth.  I just didn't feel that I had anything constructive to add, since
I'd probably just end up doing it by hand myself.  :-)  I heartily applaud
your efforts, and hope that you can get something workable without too much
of it.  (Let me know if you need some help, particularly with converting
files to some usable format, since I'm perfectly happy doing that kind of
gruntwork.  If I'm in the right mood, at least...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Odds:Love Is The Subject
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Sure as you can't steer a train, you can't change your fate

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:36:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

>> 	Shall I assume from the complete lack of response that no-one's
>> interested and should therefore discontinue development? 

  Oh, the harfing.  Yes, by all means go ahead, I'm quite interested in
that (no, you never do know quite when I'm joking: I wasn't earlier).

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:53:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh Mr. Web-Harfer...

To whoever wants to archive part or all of these:

All the CFJ's and proposal files that were complete (i.e., no unresolved
CFJ's, all proposals with voting complete) at the time I prepared the
archive are in ackacp.tar.gz, a gzipped tar file, on wilma's anonymous ftp.
ftp://wilma.che.utexas.edu/ackacp.tar.gz if you prefer to download stuff
that way.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: 21 Aug 1997 14:05:16 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh Mr. Web-Harfer...

"Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]> writes:

> To whoever wants to archive part or all of these:
> 
> All the CFJ's and proposal files that were complete (i.e., no unresolved
> CFJ's, all proposals with voting complete) at the time I prepared the
> archive are in ackacp.tar.gz, a gzipped tar file, on wilma's anonymous ftp.
> ftp://wilma.che.utexas.edu/ackacp.tar.gz if you prefer to download stuff
> that way.

	Sheesh, and here I've already gone and gotten them all
piecemeal.  8(

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:08:21 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Observers

We have two new observers in the game: the first one, [email-masked],
writes:

> Hi there!  I'd like to be an observer of the  Ackanomic Game.
> I'd also like my name, when I join, to be [sic},  because I'm allergic to
> spelling bees.
> --Dan Abraham
> PS - this is my work address - I'd like to join under the following address
> instead:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

The second one, [email-masked], is more succinct and simply states that he
would like to be an observer(also, it was inconvenient for me to quote his
entire message...:-)

They will be subscribed to the mailing lists shortly; give them a warm
welcome.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville:When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Hush my darling, be still my darling, the lion's on the phone.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Aug 1997 14:08:06 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

"A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]> writes:

>   Oh, the harfing.  Yes, by all means go ahead, I'm quite interested in
> that (no, you never do know quite when I'm joking: I wasn't earlier).

	Yes, well I still need someone with CGI perms and about 7Mb of
space (yes, there's that much data, mostly archived Proposals) to donate
so people can take a bang at it and tell me if it's OK.

	Right now I'm into converting the files into the new format.  I
suppose I should document that and send it out for people to take a look
at...
	
- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:13:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

>	Yes, well I still need someone with CGI perms and about 7Mb of
>space (yes, there's that much data, mostly archived Proposals) to donate
>so people can take a bang at it and tell me if it's OK.

  I can run CGI and could theoretically get the space, but I need to
obtain authorization for each script, and I doubt I'll get quota for the
props.  However, rejoice, for I can keep the props local on our auxiliary
server, and the scripts can (with luck) be written to retrieve them from
same.  At any rate as nobody else has offered anything, it's worth a try.

  Oh, and yes, docs on the format would be nice.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 21 Aug 1997 15:38:24 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: urgent query

What's Balsamic Dragon's email address?  I need to send in my virus
play, and would prefer not to cause another Public Health Emergency.
Thank you very much.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:08:09 -0400
From: "Dan Abraham" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: urgent query

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BCAE54.CCAE6B80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[email-masked]
 ----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997 4:46 PM
Subject: Acka: urgent query

What's Balsamic Dragon's email address?  I need to send in my virus
play, and would prefer not to cause another Public Health Emergency.
Thank you very much.

GF

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BCAE54.CCAE6B80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D'"Trident 4.71.0544.0"' name=3DGENERATOR>

</HEAD>
<BODY><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>[email-masked]</P>
 ----<BR>
<B>From: </B>[email-masked]<BR>
<B>To: </B>[email-masked]<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Thursday, August 21, 1997 4:46 PM<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>Acka: urgent query<BR>
<BR>
<HTML><BODY><FONT size=3D2>What's Balsamic Dragon's email address?&nbsp; =
I need to=20
send in my virus<BR>
play, and would prefer not to cause another Public Health Emergency.<BR>
Thank you very much.<BR>
<BR>
GF<BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BCAE54.CCAE6B80--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:32:42 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Flap Flap

Okay, I think the winged players should be rested by now.  I think the
Museum should be our next target, so I am flying thereto and waiting for
two more winged players to help me reattach it.

In the meantime, of course, I am willing to offer my AckaPhysicist-skilled
Gravitational Monopole services to anyone whose house is still dangling
(and there are a heck of a lot of them; only a month till the next
Tornado, folks!)  For that matter, I could probably use it more or less
safely on some of the smaller public buildings...

(New players, don't worry; you arrived since the last flood, so your houses
are still solidly attached.  The Old Map-Harfer's page should be correct
with respect to who's dangling and who's not.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Album--Love & Rockets
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
We never speak, we only acquiesce

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:56:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Flap Flap

> In the meantime, of course, I am willing to offer my AckaPhysicist-skilled
> Gravitational Monopole services to anyone whose house is still dangling

I grant permission, and request, Alfvaen to come to Malenkai's Castle
to attempt to reattach it.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:16:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: the bot

Excerpts from mail: 20-Aug-97 ackanomic digest V2 #262 by ackanomic
digest@muppetl 
> As your new Tabulator and Promoter, I will do my level best to serve
> with efficiency and accuracy. However, I do ask that you go easy on me
> for a while. I will probably be doing this job entirely by hand for
> some time, and introducing automation slowly and with care.
> 
> That said, I hereby announce that I have created a new email address:
> 
>         [email-masked]
> 
> The name is, of course, in memory of Wayne's nomicbot. Please send all
> your proposals and votes here. (This address routes email into a
> special subdirectory in my account, so you are in fact still "sending
> [your] vote to the Tabulator".) Also, please continue to use the bot
> syntax. I will be doing everything by hand, but this will allow me to
> phase the bot in gradually and (hopefully) transparently.
> 

rock!!!  whoo hoo.  in case nobody noticed earlier, i have officially
declared myself a voting player.  

Excerpts from mail: 20-Aug-97 ackanomic digest V2 #262 by ackanomic
digest@muppetl 
> For our new players, and for those of you who have already forgotten,
> the bot syntax is basically as follows.
> 
> To submit a new proposal for Promotion, send this:
> 
>   #submit proposal Your Proposal's Title Goes Here
>   The text of your proposal goes here, immediately following. [Note that
>   if your title is long, and you're worried that some mailer will insert
>   line breaks, you can use a backslash at the end of the #submit line to
>   continue the title onto the next line.]
> 
>   If you want to have other bot commands after the proposal, then you
>   can mark the end of it like so:
>   #end
> 
> To submit your votes on a proposal, use the #vote command:
> 
>   #vote 2279 y
>   #vote 2280 n
>   #vote 2282 p

sounds easy enough.  my question is, we don't have to put our name of
acka-name or anything in the email?  the bot can figure out who's who
just from the sending email address?

well, i am going to go submit my first vote and proposals.  whoo hoo!!!!

ben 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:18:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:  ps on bot syntax

oops, i forgot to put acka: in the subject line of my last post.  i hope
people will answer the question anyway.

also, another question on bot syntax.  what do we do for the subject
line?  anything?  nothing?

i guess since it is being done by hand for now, any technical errors
will be overlooked for now as well.  but i thought i'd ask.

ben 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:45:37 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  Cell Block H

I foirmally reqiuest permission from the Warden to visit norpan at Cell
Block H.  I wish to be the first to sign eir Great Book of Visitors.

VG
or is it V8?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:50:24 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Flap Flap

  Is my house dangling?
  If so, mi casa sues your casa.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:22:13 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka flap, flap

I join the infamous inverted "x" formation unique to acka wingmen and take
my proper position at the interior of the "x" and help join the next
location. As I'm performing this I wave to our new observers and do a few
metaphysical loops that are too mind boggling to be absorbed by observers
(to them it just looks like a loop de loop) but leaves the mysterious
attraction of what really goes on when you step into the actual game state
of acka. "Welcome observers you look beautiful from my viewpoint, join
soon!!"
- - karma(gaoler)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:47:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web-harfing

On 21 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> [email-masked] writes:
> 
> > [...]
> 
> 	Shall I assume from the complete lack of response that no-one's
> interested and should therefore discontinue development? 
> 
> -- 
> Archie Leach <[email-masked]>
> PGP Fingerprint: 
>              BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C
> 

No.  Hit them over the head with it a few times, so it'll sink in.  I'm
serious.  Also, I think it would be a great idea, but I can't contribute
anything towards it, being barely able to operate a web browser and this
copy of pine, so I didn't bother saying anything.

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:58:16 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Voting

Please send votes on proposals to [email-masked]
Votes on proposals sent to me do not count.  There is only
one proposal under consideration: proposal 2278.

If you don't have an opinion on proposal 2278, you can vote present.

Malenkai
ex-Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:08:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Voting

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> Please send votes on proposals to [email-masked]
> Votes on proposals sent to me do not count.  There is only
> one proposal under consideration: proposal 2278.
> 
> If you don't have an opinion on proposal 2278, you can vote present.
> 
> Malenkai
> ex-Tabulator
> 

Let me just add that it would be really nice if we didn't ahve any quorum
problems on this proposal, and ahve to spend another week or so sitting
around trying to straighten things out.  So please vote present if nothing
else.  All you Pending players out there, this is your chance to become
actual voting players, with all the dubious privliges thereof.  Ben, I
know you think you've made yourself a voting player, but I'm afraid you
can't declare yourself a voting palyer unless you have actually voted on
something in the past, and then lost your voting status somehow (quorum
failure).  So you'd better make sure to vote on this one...

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:04:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BWG laser

Is breadbox actually hosed by the BWG laser?  If so, the Financier
should note the appropriate transactions.

Malenkai
who missed the details of the actual operation of the BWG-L

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 05:26:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Martin Norb{ck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Cell Block H

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> I foirmally reqiuest permission from the Warden to visit norpan at Cell
> Block H.  I wish to be the first to sign eir Great Book of Visitors.

You have permission to come and visit my Cell Block.
When you arrive, please notify me so that you can Sign my Great Book of
Visitors.
Have a look at my unfinished floor map at
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/acka/

/norpan

Signature left blank

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #264
*******************************