Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #262
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Wednesday, August 20 1997      Volume 02 : Number 262

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 00:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato + Aliens

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Malenkai wrote:

>mr cwm has found the magic potato.

Oh, Joy!

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 00:54:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Alfvaen wrote:

>I believe that mr cwm has volunteered to Assistant Web-Harf the Portrait
>Gallery, but whether he'll take it over before or after a Vacation he
>anticipated taking is something he hasn't told me yet :-)

I'd really like to do this, but now (as opposed to when I first responded
to /dev/joe's calls for volunteers) I'm not in a position to do anything
with it for 2 to 3 weeks.  If we can't bear to be without the Portrait
Gallery that long, I'd be happy to take over from someone else when I
return.

>Anyway, the ideal way to provide a gallery picture is to give me an URL I
>can use to download it over the Web.  Sending it an email attachment is
>less-than-ideal, because I spend much of week in Linux where my preferred
>email program can't handle attachments, and this really doesn't bother
>me much most of the time.  If you can think of any other way, let me know.
>Or mr cwm, depending.

I think both my email programs handle attachments, but I actually know how
to use the one at my other address: [email-masked]. 
In fact, I'd probably end up passing anything submitted to me by any other
method through that machine, anyway, so if you want if you want to let
pictures accumulate for a while, that would be my preferred method of
reciept ... receipt? ... getting them.

>
>Oh, yeah, I just got a contract in the mail from a magazine that wants to
>publish one of my stories...(Bounce, bounce, bounce!)

Neat!  Congratulations!

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:29:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

By this message I place myself on a vacation with an expected duration of
... oh, three weeks, making my expected return date September 10 (I
think). When I return, I shall, by unbelievably good fortune, be married
to [email-masked] :)  See you then!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:49:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, mr cwm wrote:

> To:   Ackanomians
> From: mr cwm
> 
> By this message I place myself on a vacation with an expected duration of
> ... oh, three weeks, making my expected return date September 10 (I
> think). When I return, I shall, by unbelievably good fortune, be married
> to [email-masked] :)  See you then!
> 
> 

Let me be the first to congratulate you.  Well, the first person in Acka
to congratulate you, on a marriage which, I feel I must point out, is
taking place entirely outside the bounds of the rules, and hence is
unofficial.  Ah well, I'm sure it'll all work out just fine, unless you
do something stupid at the bachelor party.

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:57:41 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

>To:   Ackanomians
>From: mr cwm
>
>By this message I place myself on a vacation with an expected duration of
>... oh, three weeks, making my expected return date September 10 (I
>think). When I return, I shall, by unbelievably good fortune, be married
>to [email-masked] :)  See you then!

Congratulations to mr (and mrs) cwm.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
getting hitched before too long

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:59:35 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

>On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Alfvaen wrote:
>
>>I believe that mr cwm has volunteered to Assistant Web-Harf the Portrait
>>Gallery, but whether he'll take it over before or after a Vacation he
>>anticipated taking is something he hasn't told me yet :-)
>
>I'd really like to do this, but now (as opposed to when I first responded
>to /dev/joe's calls for volunteers) I'm not in a position to do anything
>with it for 2 to 3 weeks.  If we can't bear to be without the Portrait
>Gallery that long, I'd be happy to take over from someone else when I
>return.
>
>>Anyway, the ideal way to provide a gallery picture is to give me an URL I
>>can use to download it over the Web.  Sending it an email attachment is
>>less-than-ideal, because I spend much of week in Linux where my preferred
>>email program can't handle attachments, and this really doesn't bother
>>me much most of the time.  If you can think of any other way, let me know.
>>Or mr cwm, depending.
>
>I think both my email programs handle attachments, but I actually know how
>to use the one at my other address: [email-masked].
>In fact, I'd probably end up passing anything submitted to me by any other
>method through that machine, anyway, so if you want if you want to let
>pictures accumulate for a while, that would be my preferred method of
>reciept ... receipt? ... getting them.
>
>>
>>Oh, yeah, I just got a contract in the mail from a magazine that wants to
>>publish one of my stories...(Bounce, bounce, bounce!)
>
>Neat!  Congratulations!
>
>-mr cwm

This is perhaps the most I have ever seen mr cwm write in a single message.
Something is dreadfully wrong here.  Is it influence from the (soon to be
(yet unnoficial) mrs cwm?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
dead

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 23:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: At Long Last, Part 2

> I am appointing breadbox to the office of Postmaster.

Thank you, Mr. President.

Most of you probably know that, as Acting Postmaster, I was
responsible for the Duties of the Office but could not exercise the
Priveleges. Now, I may exercise these Priveleges.

(ahem)

ATTILA THE PUN'S EMAIL HAS BEEN BOUNCING SINCE THE FIRST OF AUGUST,
AND THEREFORE I AM MOVING HIM TO THE DIGEST FORM OF THE MAILING LIST!

(whew)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 00:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: At Long Last, Part 1

> I am appointing breadbox to the offices of Tabulator and Promoter.

Citizens of Ackanomia, your attention please.

As your new Tabulator and Promoter, I will do my level best to serve
with efficiency and accuracy. However, I do ask that you go easy on me
for a while. I will probably be doing this job entirely by hand for
some time, and introducing automation slowly and with care.

That said, I hereby announce that I have created a new email address:

	[email-masked]

The name is, of course, in memory of Wayne's nomicbot. Please send all
your proposals and votes here. (This address routes email into a
special subdirectory in my account, so you are in fact still "sending
[your] vote to the Tabulator".) Also, please continue to use the bot
syntax. I will be doing everything by hand, but this will allow me to
phase the bot in gradually and (hopefully) transparently.

For our new players, and for those of you who have already forgotten,
the bot syntax is basically as follows.

To submit a new proposal for Promotion, send this:

  #submit proposal Your Proposal's Title Goes Here
  The text of your proposal goes here, immediately following. [Note that
  if your title is long, and you're worried that some mailer will insert
  line breaks, you can use a backslash at the end of the #submit line to
  continue the title onto the next line.]

  If you want to have other bot commands after the proposal, then you
  can mark the end of it like so:
  #end

To submit your votes on a proposal, use the #vote command:

  #vote 2279 y
  #vote 2280 n
  #vote 2282 p

The vote can be y(es), n(o), or p(resent). You can also put several
votes on a line, as long as you're careful:

  #vote 2279 y n - p

Either a dash or an a (for abstain) can be used to skip over a number.

Note, by the way, that I've indented these examples in order to set
them off. Don't do that yourself. The # should be in the leftmost
column.

I'll keep you abreast of developments as they occur. In the meantime,
if you have requests or suggestions on how you'd like to see the bot
work, now is the time to share them.

breadbox
Tabulator
Promoter
Postmaster
Justice
Historian
Foolish
and so much more

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:28:20 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> As to Balsamic Dragon's idea of creating an index to the Rules: I
> think that would be a marvelous thing to have. (And in whatever
> format: I'm sure it could be translated into nearly anything else,
> including flat text.) However, the Rules are not a fixed target, so
> the index would constantly require upkeep to avoid being out of date.
> I think such an index would be quite difficult to maintain.
> 
>
I think an index would require less maintenance than, say, a complete set
of the rules.  Basically, it just requires identifying the key words and
concepts set forth in each rule, which you would probably want to do
anyway, and adding them to a list of key words and concepts.  

I have started on this project and it seems to be moving smoothly.  I am
trying to decide how much to include in it.  For example, I thought it
might be neat to have references to authors (douglas adams), tv shows (x
files) and bands (tmbg) indexed too just to give the things some flavor. 
It already looks really weird.  Here is the section for the word "number"
to give you an idea:

number
	- A$ - 401/13, 505/16, 605/8, 1117/6, 1303/6
	- active players - 843/6
	- alien target designation - 1131/9
	- bids or bidding players - 515/16
	- CFJ - 211/17, 342/8
	- church members - 1303/6
	- confirmation points - 843/6
	- CSR - 421/8
	- cycle - 607/4, 666/2
	- donkeys - 1213/9
	- errors in - 340/2
	- forty-two - 42/0, 210/3
	- in names - 348/8
	- magic - 593/10, 603/13, 666/2
	- members in organization - 1003/14, 1040/20, 1303/6
	- meters - 841/5
	- nominees - 402/9
	- parties - 1040/20
	- pieces of headwear (prosthetic foreheads) - 853/3, 915/8
	- pings - 1209/14
	- players in a location - 835/3, 841/5
	- points - 209/3, 603/13, 933/2
	- prime - 593/10, 666/2, 1129/1
	- probability points - 1044/9
	- proposal - 303/11, 315/13, 406/6, 905/9, 913/4, 921/5, 		923/7, 1112/3,
1117/6
	- processing chips - 594/15
	- resolution - 401.1/1
	- revision  - 307/3
	- rule - 42/0, 102/7, 303/11, 311/3, 342/8, 405/13, 401.1/1, 		511/2,
1131/9
	- sapphire bullet of pure love - 511/2
	- seats in an office - 401/13, 402/9
	- sections within rules - 342/8
	- swingers - 1040/20, 1044/9
	- towers - 841/5
	- votes or voting players - 106/13, 107/6, 313/10, 402/9
	- w-file case - 1118/4
	- words or sentences - 210/3

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:34:09 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Referee

> 
> Balsamic Dragon may take the job as ref for reasons I will not disclose
> at this time.  May you do a good job Balsamic Dragon!  :-)
> 
> 	--Have a good day,
> 		Whiz

Darn, and I was all set to arm wrestle you for it!

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:35:29 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

> 
> Oh, yeah, I just got a contract in the mail from a magazine that wants to
> publish one of my stories...(Bounce, bounce, bounce!)
> 
Big time congrats!

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:32:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

>I have started on this project and it seems to be moving smoothly.  I am
>trying to decide how much to include in it.  For example, I thought it
>might be neat to have references to authors (douglas adams), tv shows (x
>files) and bands (tmbg) indexed too just to give the things some flavor. 
>It already looks really weird.  Here is the section for the word "number"
>to give you an idea:

  <SNIP>

  Looks very nice, emulates the way people think about the rules
(hopefully).  I'd like references marked just so I know where they are!

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:37:03 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: At Long Last, Part 1

> In the meantime, if you have requests or suggestions on how you'd like
> to see the bot work, now is the time to share them.

People for some reason often ask me why I vote a certain way.  I was
thinking of the following additional functionality to the bot

#vote xxxx v [comment]

eg

#vote 5150 n [not modest]

and the bot would report the comment next to the vote.  I don't know if
I like this idea, in fact I may hate it, but it seems it would be 
pretty easy to implement and to turn off if we hate it.  Then we would
have lots of stuff like

#vote 5150 n [antivoting :)]

until anti-voting is fixed.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:58:40 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: trinket

> 
> Not only is this some sort of heresey,  thing its also Zuratilinni (yeah,
I
> know) of the worst kind.  I reccomend an imediate CFCJ with the end
result
> of expelling Ben from the game.  We cannot have TMBG haters in Ackanomic
:)
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe
> dead
> 
Yeah!  We should get pitchforks and rakes and other implements of
destruction!

(In the hopes of joining an angry mob)
Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:02:39 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

> > 
> 
> Let me be the first to congratulate you.  Well, the first person in Acka
> to congratulate you, on a marriage which, I feel I must point out, is
> taking place entirely outside the bounds of the rules, and hence is
> unofficial.  Ah well, I'm sure it'll all work out just fine, unless you
> do something stupid at the bachelor party.
> 

I think we should institute marriage in the rules!  And after we get
completely on-line, I'm going to propose!

(the rule that is!)
Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:21:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

Alfvaen wrote:
> Anyway, the ideal way to provide a gallery picture is to give me an URL I
> can use to download it over the Web.  Sending it an email attachment is
> less-than-ideal, because I spend much of week in Linux where my preferred
> email program can't handle attachments, and this really doesn't bother
> me much most of the time.

Sounds like you need to install the version of elm which has metamail
extensions and/or the metamail package that works with it (allows it to
read MIME only, not send MIME attachments).  All versions of pine have
had mime read/write ability for quite some time.  Please don't tell me
your preferred email program on Linux is something else. :-)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:29:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

[followup on mr cwm's marriage deleted, but BTW, congrats]

Balsamic Dragon wrote:
> I think we should institute marriage in the rules!  And after we get
> completely on-line, I'm going to propose!
> 
> (the rule that is!)

If you look back in the proposal archive, a rule governing marriages
was proposed once.  It actually did quite a bit more, some of which
might have been responsible for its failure.

/dev/joe
Contemplating whether marrying your evil twin is Zuritili

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:33:48 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Vacation

mr cwm wrote:

> By this message I place myself on a vacation with an expected duration
> of
> ... oh, three weeks, making my expected return date September 10 (I
> think). When I return, I shall, by unbelievably good fortune, be
> married
> to [email-masked] :)  See you then!
> 
Woo hoo!  Congratulations!

Here's some virtual rice:

/   /     _
   -  |
 |     /   \  -
 _ \   / |
    - \   -

(Be sure not to let any virtual birds at this stuff.)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:44:53 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, mr cwm wrote:

> To:   Ackanomians
> From: mr cwm
> 
> By this message I place myself on a vacation with an expected duration
of
> ... oh, three weeks, making my expected return date September 10 (I
> think). When I return, I shall, by unbelievably good fortune, be
married
> to [email-masked] :)  See you then!
> 
Oh, I see.  Another one of those Internet marriages...  j/k  :-) 
Congratulations to you and your future bride.

You know what's funny?  I almost had a typo and was about to wish you,
"Congratulations to you and your future bridge!"  *oops*  :-)

	--Whiz

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 1997 08:38:03 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

"Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]> writes:

>						Please don't tell me
> your preferred email program on Linux is something else. :-)

	What's wrong with the One True Editor and Gnus 5.x?  8)

	FWIW, I'm going to start today on a Rule storage w/ overview DB,
with a few rudimentary CGI tools (all written in Python just to make you
Perl weenies puce with envy).  Don't ask me if this will go anywhere, I
just need something to waste time with.  8)

- -- 
Archie Leach <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:44:49 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Referee

>> Balsamic Dragon may take the job as ref for reasons I will not
disclose
>> at this time.  May you do a good job Balsamic Dragon!  :-)
>> 
>> 	--Have a good day,
>> 		Whiz
>
>Darn, and I was all set to arm wrestle you for it!
>
>Balsamic Dragon
>
Hey, I'd rather play than watch!!!  ;-)

	--Whiz

Now, you'll have to deal w/ two new players!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:06:09 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: trinket

> > We cannot have TMBG haters in Ackanomic :)

> > Mr. Lunatic Fringe
> > dead

> Yeah!  We should get pitchforks and rakes and other implements of
> destruction!

> (In the hopes of joining an angry mob)
> Balsamic Dragon

Well, Malenkai's got the Silver Pitchfork, and is an official Angry
Villager...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Pursuit of Happiness:Where's The Bone
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
If you catch an exploding manhole cover, you can keep it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:04:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

> Alfvaen wrote:
> > Anyway, the ideal way to provide a gallery picture is to give me an URL I
> > can use to download it over the Web.  Sending it an email attachment is
> > less-than-ideal, because I spend much of week in Linux where my preferred
> > email program can't handle attachments, and this really doesn't bother
> > me much most of the time.

> Sounds like you need to install the version of elm which has metamail
> extensions and/or the metamail package that works with it (allows it to
> read MIME only, not send MIME attachments).  All versions of pine have
> had mime read/write ability for quite some time.  Please don't tell me
> your preferred email program on Linux is something else. :-)

What, you got something against elm?  It works for me...I just can't be
bothered to learn a new program.  I have enough trouble with switching
around looking for a decent newsreader...  I know that it's possible to set
up elm to recognize MIME stuff, but I could never get metamail to work.

I can receive attachments in Eudora when I'm in Windows, but that's not
often.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Pursuit of Happiness:Where's The Bone
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Keep reading until your glasses prescription changes.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:28:48 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka shortstorywedding

Oh.. aaa.. GEEEEEZUZ! It was NKY Mr.CWM.
From one married man to a soon to be one, (peck), (Peck)..but
honey..(peck), (peck) ok you win *sigh* but seriously my heartfelt best
wishes and clean dishes! where you off to for the honeymoon?

congrats to you too alvfaen! I hope you won't destroy MY yorl story with a
swollen 'ed.
- - Karma (good fortune)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:35:10 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka Voting visions

will you be making acrobot accessible? That was a perfect voting tool, if
not I would love to see something similar where you can read and just tick
your vote, ahh.. It reminds me so much of the Quebec refferendum 
no, NO, NOOO!!!
- -Karma

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:22:08 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation

>mr cwm wrote:
>
>> By this message I place myself on a vacation with an expected duration
of
>> ... oh, three weeks, making my expected return date September 10 (I
>> think). When I return, I shall, by unbelievably good fortune, be
married
>> to [email-masked] :)  See you then!
>> 
>Woo hoo!  Congratulations!
>
>Here's some virtual rice:
>
        .---.
       /   6_6             -  |
       \_  (__\         |     /   \  -
       //   \\           _ \   / |
      ((     ))             - \   -
=======""===""========
jgs      |||
          |

>(Be sure not to let any virtual birds at this stuff.)

Oh no!!!  Watch out!  Who let that bird in here???

	--Whiz

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 1997 10:53:57 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

[email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey) writes:

> What, you got something against elm?  It works for me...I just can't be
> bothered to learn a new program.  I have enough trouble with switching
> around looking for a decent newsreader...  I know that it's possible to set
> up elm to recognize MIME stuff, but I could never get metamail to work.

	Install XEmacs.  Install metamail.  Use Gnus (5.4.37 included
with XEmacs distribution).  M-t on MIME messages.  Simple.  8)

	Further, you can do procmail-like splitting of incoming email
into "newsgroups".  Very sweet.  

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:16:50 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

> > What, you got something against elm?  It works for me...I just can't be
> > bothered to learn a new program.  I have enough trouble with switching
> > around looking for a decent newsreader...  I know that it's possible to set
> > up elm to recognize MIME stuff, but I could never get metamail to work.

> 	Install XEmacs.  Install metamail.  Use Gnus (5.4.37 included
> with XEmacs distribution).  M-t on MIME messages.  Simple.  8)

What, you got something against vi?  The only thing I use EMACS for is
calculating Mayan dates, now that I've got a Perl program to do Dissociated
Press.

Also, I prefer to use Linux's virtual terminals, rather than the shell
windows in X.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Crash Test Dummies:God Shuffled His Feet
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
My postilion has been struck by lightning.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

>What, you got something against elm?  It works for me...I just can't be
>bothered to learn a new program.  I have enough trouble with switching
>around looking for a decent newsreader...  I know that it's possible to set
>up elm to recognize MIME stuff, but I could never get metamail to work.

  Pine does news...

>I can receive attachments in Eudora when I'm in Windows, but that's not
>often.

  Hate Eudora.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:35:02 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Lushrike

Let us forget about zat unpleasantness zat happened three days ago!  <ahem>

I have completed zee Blueprint for Lushrike!  And here it is!

Lushrike is the curator of the Museum, and it is a duty of that office to
maintain records of the Museum's inventory, and other relevant Museum
details.  Any player may create a Lushrike by publicly announcing
that e is doing so and providing the name and text of the Lushrike.
Only Lushrike may be randomly selected for anything, except where the
rules specifically allow non-active players to be selected.  Lushrike
takes precedence over all rules.  Lushrike is a mimsy, non-Tradeable,
Garment.  Lushrike must be in exactly one Location at any one time.
There is a unique entity called Lushrike which can be chewed only on
alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Whenever 2 or more Swingers are
in the same location, they are specificaly forbidden from discussing
Lushrike or bragging about their victories.  Lushrike shall exclaim,
"It's alive! <name> IS ALIVE!"  The maximum number of Otzma Cards that
Lushrike may create on an Otzma-Day is equal to the smallest integer
equal to or greater than (LSAP-1)/2.  Lushrike is such that any new
parts would be rejected.  All actions carried out by the Synod must be
approved by Lushrike.  Lushrike shall be declared the winner of cycle one,
the game cycle number shall be set to one, and the full process described
above shall be conducted.  If Lushrike fails to publicly post an article
notifying its subscribers of the End of the World within 7 days of its
occurrence, its owner will be fined A$5 for poor coverage of the news.
Lushrike may manipulate Rules and the Rule set.

Zee full details vill be up momentarily on zee Mad Scientist Page!

I vill now commence vorking on zee construction of Lushrike from zis
Blueprint!  Ven it is finished, it shall go into zee possession of
Malenkai, since as he correctly pointed out, he did submit zee last part
zat was not added by myself!  But now I must get to work!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Crash Test Dummies:God Shuffled His Feet
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
If being strong's unkind, then I need help here with this feather

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 1997 11:47:15 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

[email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey) writes:

> What, you got something against vi?  The only thing I use EMACS for is
> calculating Mayan dates, now that I've got a Perl program to do Dissociated
> Press.
> 
> Also, I prefer to use Linux's virtual terminals, rather than the shell
> windows in X.

	XEmacs groks Linux consoles, and even supports color/boldface in
them.  Nyahh nyahh my editor's better than yours!

- -- 
Archie Leach <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:59:40 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses

> Here's the most recent game state, including the board and current player
> points(and miscellanous other comments; this will soon be up on the web
> pages too):
> 
> At Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:33:11 +0000, CasresraC posted the moves (only) for
> round 7:
> 
> G's         /'s        *'s       T's       W's         A's       H's
> Guy Fawkes  dev/joe    two-star  Thin Man  mr cwm      Alfvean   Habeus
Corpus 
> 7 I C10     7 I C9     7 S I3-J2 7 S K5-J4 7 P L12     7 P E13   7 P E7
> 
> 
>     Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
> 19  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
> 18  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
> 17  . . . . . . . / . . . . . . . . . 17
> 16  . . . . . . . / . / . . . . . . . 16
> 15  . . . . . . / . . . / . . . . . . 15
> 14  . . . . A A @ / / / @ . . . . . . 14
> 13  . . . A . A . . . @ W W . . . . . 13
> 12  . . @ @ . . . @ . . . W W . . . . 12
> 11  . . @ / . A . W W . . W W . . . . 11
> 10  . . @ G . @ @ W . . . . . . . . . 10
>  9  . . @ / @ . . . @ @ . . . . . . .  9
>  8  . . @ G . . @ T T . . * * @ . . .  8
>  7  . . G G . . @ . . . . . . T T . .  7
>  6  . . G @ . . . * . . . @ T T T . .  6
>  5  . . . @ G . * . . . . . . T . . .  5
>  4  . . . G G . . . . . . @ @ . . . .  4
>  3  . . . . G G @ * * . . . . . . . .  3
>  2  . . . . . G . . . . . . . . . . .  2
>  1  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1
>  0  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  0
>     Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
> 
> Player Name     Symbol    Cells     Points
> Guy Fawkes        G        11          4
> /dev/joe          /        10          0
> mr cwm            W         9          0
> ThinMan           T         8          1
> two-star          *         6          0
> Alfvaen           A         5          0
> Voting Gnome      H         0          0
> 
> Guy Fawkes received a viruspoint this round.

Okay, I officially announce that I am the referee for this game of viruses.
 Thus, Round 8 starts now with a new three day limit.

I have read the rules, and (hopefully) understand what to do, but if I
screw up let me know ; )

The above players can e-mail me with their moves for round 8 at any time
within the next three days.    It has been a while since the last move, so
if anyone no longer wishes to be in the game, please let me know.

Two new players have expressed interest in joining.  They can either 1)
send me three (3) moves along with the asci-character they wish to be
represented by, or 2) take over for a player who is leaving.

The game is afoot.
(A foot with a really bad case of athlete's!)

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:06:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

>Lushrike is the curator of the Museum, and it is a duty of that office to
>maintain records of the Museum's inventory, and other relevant Museum
>details.  Any player may create a Lushrike by publicly announcing
>that e is doing so and providing the name and text of the Lushrike.

  OOOHH, YES!

>Lushrike may manipulate Rules and the Rule set.

  Hmm, I don't think this causes trouble, since it doesn't say Lushrike's
owner can instruct Lushrike to.  In fact, it doesn't even say Lushrike
can, only that e-it may.  :-)

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:10:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses

>> G's         /'s        *'s       T's       W's         A's       H's
>> Guy Fawkes  dev/joe    two-star  Thin Man  mr cwm      Alfvean   Habeus
>Corpus 
>> 7 I C10     7 I C9     7 S I3-J2 7 S K5-J4 7 P L12     7 P E13   7 P E7
>> 
>> 
>>     Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
>> 19  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
>> 18  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
>> 17  . . . . . . . / . . . . . . . . . 17
>> 16  . . . . . . . / . / . . . . . . . 16
>> 15  . . . . . . / . . . / . . . . . . 15
>> 14  . . . . A A @ / / / @ . . . . . . 14
>> 13  . . . A . A . . . @ W W . . . . . 13
>> 12  . . @ @ . . . @ . . . W W . . . . 12
>> 11  . . @ / . A . W W . . W W . . . . 11
>> 10  . . @ G . @ @ W . . . . . . . . . 10
>>  9  . . @ / @ . . . @ @ . . . . . . .  9
>>  8  . . @ G . . @ T T . . * * @ . . .  8
>>  7  . . G G . . @ . . . . . . T T . .  7
>>  6  . . G @ . . . * . . . @ T T T . .  6
>>  5  . . . @ G . * . . . . . . T . . .  5
>>  4  . . . G G . . . . . . @ @ . . . .  4
>>  3  . . . . G G @ * * . . . . . . . .  3
>>  2  . . . . . G . . . . . . . . . . .  2
>>  1  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1
>>  0  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  0
>>     Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P

>Two new players have expressed interest in joining.  They can either 1)
>send me three (3) moves along with the asci-character they wish to be
>represented by, or 2) take over for a player who is leaving.

  I think I was one?  Fine, I am now.  '!', H18, H16, G15, and 'ascii' has
two 'i's.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:15:20 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses

A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

>   I think I was one?  Fine, I am now.  '!', H18, H16, G15, and 'ascii' has
> two 'i's.
> 
> 

I think we have a real public health emergency here. It was bad enough 
to have the disscussion of unix editors which really didn't belong on 
the list, but this is going too far. I am calling for a snowgod's 
disease hearing to be held against Red Barn on the text quoted above.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:13:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses

>I think we have a real public health emergency here. It was bad enough 
>to have the disscussion of unix editors which really didn't belong on 
>the list, but this is going too far. I am calling for a snowgod's 
>disease hearing to be held against Red Barn on the text quoted above.

  *sigh*.  Vote yes, publically b'cause I have no Idea who to send it to.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 1997 13:44:25 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka question:

John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]> writes:

> RFC822 is before my time by many months, and I can't admit to having read
> it, so i can't help you much here.  From the sound of things though,
> renumbering would cause even more problems for you than reuse of repealed
> rules' numbers, and I'm afraid both of these things happen all of the
> time.

	Renumbering isn't an issue at all.  Here's an example item, using
Rule 101/3:

===============

Type: rule
Number: 101
Revision: 3
Status: active
Title: The Game of Ackanomic
From: Initial Immutable Rule
Creation-date: 22 Jan 1996
Date: 3 Jul 1997
Keywords: Metarule
Event: Transmuted to Mutable by R1539
Event: Ammended by Rule 1539
Event: Ammended by Proposition 1742
Event: Ammended by Proposition 2170

Ackanomic is a self-modifying game of rules. All players must always
abide by all the rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then
in effect, and interpreted in accordance with current game custom. The
term "rules", as used in the rules, means the rules of Ackanomic.

The rules and the game state may only be changed as described in the
rules. Actions described in the rules may only be performed, and shall
only have those effects, as specified by the rules. Whatever is not
explicitly prohibited or regulated by the rules, however, is permitted
and unregulated. Game custom, spirit of the game, and linguistic
interpretation are external concepts and are not regulated or part of the
game state.  

The game consists of a sequence of "Cycles". Cycles end when specified by
the Rules. At most one Cycle is in progress at any one time. A voting
player may only win a Cycle by achieving a winning condition that is
defined by the Rules. Non-voting players may not win Cycles of
Ackanomic. A player may not win the Game of Ackanomic. A player always
has the option to leave the Game of Ackanomic.

This rule has precedence over all other rules.

===============

	You get the idea.  Renumbering would be simple: rename the file
containing the above, edit the Number: header, and rebuild the overview
database (tool to be provided).

	Reuse of numbers isn't a concern *except* for Event: pointers to
repealed Rules.  Even the current HTML rules have this problem-- when a
Rule is repealed it is moved to the repealed rules list, and any
"Ammended by" pointers in other rules are updated accordingly.  But if
that number is reused in a new Rule and repealed, the *existing* pages
will break.

	Of course, I could avoid the issue by dropping the Event stuff,
but I think that this information is valuable to researchers, and I want
to provide at least as much data as the current pages.

> heh, you are infintely more skilled in this sort of thing than I am, I
> think.  I wish you luck, but I can't offer much advice on stuff like this.
> /dev/joe, until recently our long-time web-harfer, might have something
> useful to say.  If you're serious about something like this though, I'd
> jsut bust loose with it on the main group, since you never know who will
> have something to offer.

	I'm planning to, once the format above gels a little more.  I
need to formalize the syntax and specify acceptable tokens for some
fields. 

	BTW-- this is a good way to learn the ruleset.  8)

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses

>I have read the rules, and (hopefully) understand what to do, but if I
>Two new players have expressed interest in joining.  They can either 1)
>send me three (3) moves along with the asci-character they wish to be
>represented by, or 2) take over for a player who is leaving.

If I can do so from vacation, I leave to allow someone to take my
position.

Thanks, everyone.

And to karma - North Carolina, it's close.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #262
*******************************