Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #261
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Tuesday, August 19 1997       Volume 02 : Number 261

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:31:59 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

> Well, according to the Rules of Viruses, the referee collects the moves
for
> each turn, and then posts the board for the next round.  What our last
> referee did was collect the moves for each turn, post them
later(usually),
> and either come up with a board for the next round which /dev/joe and I 
> usually had to correct, or just let us do the work anyway.  :-)  I wrote
up
> a Perl script that does the work.
> 
> So, essentially, how much of the work you do is pretty much up to you.  

Okay, I volunteer pending the decision of whether a new player can be a
ref.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:33:18 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: new proposal

Is there a new proposal to vote on out there?

If so, I have not received it.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:27:23 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

>> 8) Alfvaen wants a viruses referee ;-)
>
>It'd be nice.  :-)  The fate of the Crystal Grapefruit may depend on the
>result of this game, for one thing.

What are the rules for viruses?

	--Whiz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:30:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

>I personally was very fond of WP 5.0 and 5.1, but I never liked any of
>the Windows versions.  I have recently switched to Word, as it is the
>word processor supported at my workplace.  I would think that WP would
>be better than PDF (Acrobat), but who am I to say?  Recent versions of
>Word will read WP files up through version 6.x.  Some word processors
>come with tools to assist in generating HTML code from your documents.
>If you have something like that available to you then that might be a
>good solution.

  I never use formatted word processors, because I think they're all
horrible; even if a teacher requires a formatting style, I apply it just
before the final printout.  But that's just me...

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:31:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: random stuff

>Yes, it will be more detailed than the rules by topic.  I work in a law
>office.  The index will be similar a word-index which accompanies a
>deposition transcript, only arranged by topic as well as alphabetically,
>and without all the common words, i.e., "the" and "and".

  Kind of an indexed index?

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:35:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

>> Actually, your views are representative, you're the second person who has
>> said that!  I'm afraid that my HTML is profoundly lacking.  I have a web
>> page on goecities with which I am attempting to learn it.
>
>Trust me: HTML is really really easy.  Just put a <P> at the end of every
>paragraph and you'll be fine.  :-)

  And put
<HTML>
<BODY>
  before your documents and
</BODY>
</HTML>
  after.

>Not really.  On another mailing list I'm on somebody suggested making
>available a bunch of information in Acrobat format, and it got soundly
>shouted down.

  I hate Acrobat; partly because I have a wimply machine, but mainly
because it's just so annoying to use.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:49:33 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Revised active player list

I changed my status to voting already, I'm not listed.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> This should be the complete list of active players below.  New players
> will still have to wait 7 days :(  I was thinking of submitting a
> dummy proposal just to speed the process up.  It would be nice if
> the pe page put player state somewhere near the top of the record
> (I always tried to put vacation, with on-ice date, as the first
> entry, and was gonna make this improvement too.  I hereby heckle 
> the PE harfer for these two improvements, if they are trivial :)
> 
> breadbox
> Rex Mundi
> /dev/joe
> Vynd
> Malenkai
> Alfvaen
> two-star
> Red Barn
> mr cwm
> Guy Fawkes
> ThinMan
> Karma
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: 19 Aug 1997 11:55:25 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Hello. (correction to Subject: line. 8)

	In accordance with the Rules, I select a Prosthetic Forehead that
is sloped gracefully above the brow into a slivery peak, from which is
suspended a ruby-red silk ribbon embroidered in the finest gold thread
with the words "Veritable and Venerable Master of the Obscure" by
transferring A$7 to the Treasury.

	With humbleness approaching gross debasement, I respectfully
present the abovementioned Prosthetic Forehead to Alfvaen, for so quickly
identifying my moniker and complimenting me on my first choice, which due
to an unfortunate oversight was 7 letters too long.

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:13:32 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Hello. (correction to Subject: line. 8)

> 	In accordance with the Rules, I select a Prosthetic Forehead that
> is sloped gracefully above the brow into a slivery peak, from which is
> suspended a ruby-red silk ribbon embroidered in the finest gold thread
> with the words "Veritable and Venerable Master of the Obscure" by
> transferring A$7 to the Treasury.

I suppose this means I'll have to update the PFH page now.  :-)

> 	With humbleness approaching gross debasement, I respectfully
> present the abovementioned Prosthetic Forehead to Alfvaen, for so quickly
> identifying my moniker and complimenting me on my first choice, which due
> to an unfortunate oversight was 7 letters too long.

I accept this gift with the utmost gratitude.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Dean Martin:Hey Brother, Pour The Wine
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
I want this man to go away now.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:17:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: new proposal

> Is there a new proposal to vote on out there?
> 
> If so, I have not received it.

That's because you're subscribed to acka-voting-digest, rather than
acka-voting.  So you won't have gotten it until a new digest is sent out.
(I should maybe change that default, considering that acka-voting's traffic
tends to be pretty minimal, only Proposals, and that's kind of sparse right
now...)

Of course, I also forgot to subscribe last night's new players to the
actual mailing lists for a few hours, but I don't think that would've
affected you...

In any event, I'll put it up on my now thoroughly unofficial Props page
until breadbox wants to put it up on his.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Dean Martin:Hey Brother, Pour The Wine
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Your love is like greasy fried noodles...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:19:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

> >> 8) Alfvaen wants a viruses referee ;-)
> >
> >It'd be nice.  :-)  The fate of the Crystal Grapefruit may depend on the
> >result of this game, for one thing.
> 
> What are the rules for viruses?

Sorta like Conway's Game of Life, but live cells can also be infected with
a particular player's virus, and players can add new cells, infect existing
ones, and move cells every turn.  I'll send you a copy if you wish.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Dean Martin:Hey Brother, Pour The Wine
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
I'd like a Slow Comfortable Screw On The Beach With An Orgasm....

------------------------------

Date: 19 Aug 1997 12:29:48 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: acka: questions about mailing lists

AC>does anybody actually use acka-games or acka-research or acka-finance?
AC>can anybody think of a good reason why i should subscribe to them?  will
AC>i miss out on anything if i don't?

Acka-games is used lightly but consistently whenever subgames are being
played, which until recently, was most of the time.

Acka-research is used rarely, but when it rains, it pours!  (I remember
when I went on Vacation and unsubscribed from every list but research.
I forgot that one, and the traffic from the Township discussion alone
flooded my inbox.)

Acka-finance is almost never used.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:37:37 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Acka: Referee

>I also can't find anything in the game Rules to say that a non-Active
>player can't be a Referee, but if anyone more expert than I knows
>otherwise, then let us know before we illegally accept a Pending 
>player as
>referee...
>
I have also requested a position as the referee!

Where are the rules for viruses?

	--Whiz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hello.

On 19 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> 	In accordance with the Rules, I select a Prosthetic Forehead that
> is sloped gracefully above the brow into a slivery peak, from which is
> suspended a ruby-red silk ribbon embroidered in the finest gold thread
> with the words "Veritable and Venerable Master of the Obscure" by
> transferring A$7 to the Treasury.
> 
> 	With humbleness approaching gross debasement, I respectfully
> present the abovementioned Prosthetic Forehead to Alfvaen, for so quickly
> identifying my moniker and complimenting me on my first choice, which due
> to an unfortunate oversight was 7 letters too long.
> 

is this the man that I am to mentor?  If so, what is your email address?
I was told to use the one in your .sig below, but my mail came back no
such address.  I'm guessing the one mentioned above would be a better
choice, if so, let me advise you as your mentor to get your official email
address changed with the registrar (hopefuly the postmaster has it right
or you'll never see this).

Finally, as I actually tried to warn you last night only to be thwarted by
the wrong address, messages sent to the ackanomic lists are only official
if their subject begins in Acka: or Ackanomic: or RE: one of those.  So
your artful prose has no effect here, although if you send the message
again with the correct subject I'm sure that Alfvaen will be doubly
delighted by your boon.

> -- 
> Cerebus <[email-masked]>
> PGP Fingerprint: 
>              BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C
> 

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Hello.

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> 
> On 19 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> is this the man that I am to mentor?  If so, what is your email address?
> I was told to use the one in your .sig below, but my mail came back no
> such address.  I'm guessing the one mentioned above would be a better
> choice, if so, let me advise you as your mentor to get your official email
> address changed with the registrar (hopefuly the postmaster has it right
> or you'll never see this).

Grr.  I just went back and checked that message, and I had a .com at the
end instead of a .net.  I guess I'd still ike to hear definitely where you
want your mail sent, but I'm guessing that was the only real problem.

> 
> Finally, as I actually tried to warn you last night only to be thwarted by
> the wrong address, messages sent to the ackanomic lists are only official
> if their subject begins in Acka: or Ackanomic: or RE: one of those.  So
> your artful prose has no effect here, although if you send the message
> again with the correct subject I'm sure that Alfvaen will be doubly
> delighted by your boon.
> 

You're quick!  You already noticed that mistake.  Now, the other thing I
was going to warn you about, different mailing lists, well the gist of it
all is, pretend this is the only one until you've got the hang of things
and you'll save yourself some headaches. :)

> > -- 
> > Cerebus <[email-masked]>
> > PGP Fingerprint: 
> >              BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C
> > 
> 
> 
>                                - Vynd
> 
> [email-masked]
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:26:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 118

> 
> The following is the text of CSR 188, the second and hopefuly last of my
> CSRs to patch the People's Council for Internomic.
> 
> Ammend Rule 419.2 by adding the following text to the end of the rule:
> 
> {{The current members of the People's Council for Internomic are those
> players who have declared in a public message that they are joining the
> People's Council for Internomic, or words to that effect, and only those
> players.}}
> 
> 
> 

This has passed the 3 day review period without objection and is thus
added to the rules.  it then immediately deletes itself, but not before
making it clear once and for all that the only people who are members of
the people's council for internomic are those who actually said in a
message that they wanted to be.  Thank you for your patience, good thing
nothing has been happening in internomic lately that requires our
attention.  Or has there been?  I'm not on that list so i rely on our
ambassador to let us know, and I'm not sure if we ever actually got one...

                             - CSSR Vynd

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:39:50 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: new proposal

> That's because you're subscribed to acka-voting-digest, rather than
> acka-voting.  So you won't have gotten it until a new digest is sent out.
> (I should maybe change that default, considering that acka-voting's
traffic
> tends to be pretty minimal, only Proposals, and that's kind of sparse
right
> now...)

How do I subscribe to acka-voting?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:43:47 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> >> Actually, your views are representative, you're the second person who
has
> >> said that!  I'm afraid that my HTML is profoundly lacking.  I have a
web
> >> page on goecities with which I am attempting to learn it.
> >
> >Trust me: HTML is really really easy.  Just put a <P> at the end of
every
> >paragraph and you'll be fine.  :-)
> 
>   And put
> <HTML>
> <BODY>
>   before your documents and
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>   after.
> 
You have to remember, I'm a word processor at heart.  Unformated text is
barely good enough for e-mail!

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

>You have to remember, I'm a word processor at heart.  Unformated text is
>barely good enough for e-mail!

  I assume when you send snail mail you write in multiple typefaces?  :-)

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:08:21 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> 
> >You have to remember, I'm a word processor at heart.  Unformated text is
> >barely good enough for e-mail!
> 
>   I assume when you send snail mail you write in multiple typefaces?  :-)
> 
Nah, I'm not that much of a graphics nut.  But have you seen the outlining
on some of the rules?  Gah!  Learn to put in some carriage returns guys!

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: 19 Aug 1997 14:15:08 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Hello.

John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Grr.  I just went back and checked that message, and I had a .com at the
> end instead of a .net.  I guess I'd still ike to hear definitely where you
> want your mail sent, but I'm guessing that was the only real problem.

	Unlike most of @ibm.net, I actually work for ibm.net.  8)  Now,
had you sent to [email-masked], that would have worked, but I'd
rather you didn't because I hate VM with a passion unmatched in legend.

	[email-masked] is correct, as far as anything goes.

> You're quick!  You already noticed that mistake.  Now, the other thing I
> was going to warn you about, different mailing lists, well the gist of it
> all is, pretend this is the only one until you've got the hang of things
> and you'll save yourself some headaches. :)

	This is why Bob gave us procmail.  8)

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:13:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

>Nah, I'm not that much of a graphics nut.  But have you seen the outlining
>on some of the rules?  Gah!  Learn to put in some carriage returns guys!

  Actually, that's a product of larger screens with longer lines.  Just
another reason I dislike GUIs as much as possible.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: questions about mailing lists

> does anybody actually use acka-games or acka-research or acka-finance? 
> can anybody think of a good reason why i should subscribe to them?  will
> i miss out on anything if i don't?

The reason for having these separate mailing lists is to try to allow
players to stem the usual flood of email that this game produces.
(And I see that we have been returning to this usual level lately!)

Acka-games should *always* be used for subgame activity (excluding
Party Chess). Since subgames generally have only a minor impact on the
game state, you could choose to ignore them, and thus safely
unsubscribe from the acka-games list.

Acka-research was originally intended to be used for chatting about
proposals and RFCs, etc. Ideally, however, nearly any kind of talk
(as opposed to game actions) should go there. If you intend to
participate in the full game, you should definitely subscribe to
acka-research. If you're only here as a non-voting player, or if you
only care about subgames or party chess, you could probably skip it.

Acka-finance was intended to be for financial activities, presumably
to make it easier for the Financier to filter out the actions that
required eir attention. Again, if you intend to participate in the
full game, you should go ahead and subscribe to it.

There is no "overhead" in being subscribed to a dead list.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> Nah, I'm not that much of a graphics nut.  But have you seen the
> outlining on some of the rules?  Gah!  Learn to put in some carriage
> returns guys!

??? Since the rules are only publicly available in HTML form (as far
as I know), I'm not sure what this refers to.

(I know that /dev/joe occasionally would use markup that Lynx didn't
seem to understand, so my copy of the rules sometimes had places where
paragraphs would all be run together.)

As to Balsamic Dragon's idea of creating an index to the Rules: I
think that would be a marvelous thing to have. (And in whatever
format: I'm sure it could be translated into nearly anything else,
including flat text.) However, the Rules are not a fixed target, so
the index would constantly require upkeep to avoid being out of date.
I think such an index would be quite difficult to maintain.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:38:42 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Referee

> >I also can't find anything in the game Rules to say that a non-Active
> >player can't be a Referee, but if anyone more expert than I knows
> >otherwise, then let us know before we illegally accept a Pending 
> >player as
> >referee...

> I have also requested a position as the referee!

I guess the two of you get to fight over it, then.  Or it may be a question
of whose message asserting emself as referee came through first.  I think I
saw Balsamic Dragon's first; however, I'll send you the same information I
sent em, just in case.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
"Oh, yes, dear, it's all nice and paranormal."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:36:48 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: new proposal

> > That's because you're subscribed to acka-voting-digest, rather than
> > acka-voting.  So you won't have gotten it until a new digest is sent out.
> > (I should maybe change that default, considering that acka-voting's
> traffic
> > tends to be pretty minimal, only Proposals, and that's kind of sparse
> right
> > now...)

> How do I subscribe to acka-voting?

All you need to do is send an email to [email-masked]; that's the
address that the mailing list server uses to receive requests.  What you
want to send first is something like

subscribe acka-voting [email-masked]

Then wait a day or so(so you don't miss any messages)and send another
message that says

unsubscribe acka-voting-digest [email-masked]

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
No, Dear.  We sleep in the Garage with the Cars.  The BOOKS stay here.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Aug 1997 16:53:01 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

Brian Raiter <[email-masked]> writes:

> As to Balsamic Dragon's idea of creating an index to the Rules: I
> think that would be a marvelous thing to have. (And in whatever
> format: I'm sure it could be translated into nearly anything else,
> including flat text.) However, the Rules are not a fixed target, so
> the index would constantly require upkeep to avoid being out of date.
> I think such an index would be quite difficult to maintain.

	Why not dump 'em in a DB and CGI script it?  The hardest part
would be designing the DB...

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:32:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 118

> good thing nothing has been happening in internomic lately that requires
> our attention.  Or has there been?  I'm not on that list so i rely on 
> our ambassador to let us know, and I'm not sure if we ever actually got 
> one...

Hey!  Our Ambassador is here monitoring the once a month internomic
message.  The only thing that happened this month is snowgod appointing
me internomic moderator.

BTW, I hope to post who I think is on that internomic comittee thing
later tonite.

Malenkai
Ambassador

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:38:07 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> As to Balsamic Dragon's idea of creating an index to the Rules: I
> think that would be a marvelous thing to have. (And in whatever
> format: I'm sure it could be translated into nearly anything else,
> including flat text.) However, the Rules are not a fixed target, so
> the index would constantly require upkeep to avoid being out of date.
> I think such an index would be quite difficult to maintain.

  Why, btw, is it called "flat" text?  As opposed to hyper is the logical
reason, but certainly a word processor is not hypertext...  Oh, well.  The
*good* way to do it would be w/ a script to create a number of variform
docs out of a seperate doc for each rule.  And one can even dream of a web
form to add rules...

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:36:20 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka gallery pictures

For asthetic reasons, all you wonderful new players, be sure to send a
gallery picture to represent your vibrant persona!
- - love karma

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 20:47:15 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Referee

>> >I also can't find anything in the game Rules to say that a non-Active
>> >player can't be a Referee, but if anyone more expert than I knows
>> >otherwise, then let us know before we illegally accept a Pending 
>> >player as
>> >referee...
>
>> I have also requested a position as the referee!
>
>I guess the two of you get to fight over it, then.  Or it may be a
question
>of whose message asserting emself as referee came through first.  I
think I
>saw Balsamic Dragon's first; however, I'll send you the same information
I
>sent em, just in case.

Balsamic Dragon may take the job as ref for reasons I will not disclose
at this time.  May you do a good job Balsamic Dragon!  :-)

	--Have a good day,
		Whiz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:29:50 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

>   Why, btw, is it called "flat" text?  As opposed to hyper is the logical
> reason, but certainly a word processor is not hypertext...  Oh, well.

Notionally, if you take something with word-processing codes in it, and
then you get rid of those codes to leave only the text, it's been
"flattened".  So that's "flat text".  It predates hypertext by many years,
I imagine.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Maggie's Dream
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:33:06 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

> For asthetic reasons, all you wonderful new players, be sure to send a
> gallery picture to represent your vibrant persona!

I believe that mr cwm has volunteered to Assistant Web-Harf the Portrait
Gallery, but whether he'll take it over before or after a Vacation he
anticipated taking is something he hasn't told me yet.  :-)  All I know is
that I'm running low on disk space here, and haven't gotten my Geocities
site set up yet.  What I need is a new job with oodles of disk space...

Anyway, the ideal way to provide a gallery picture is to give me an URL I
can use to download it over the Web.  Sending it an email attachment is
less-than-ideal, because I spend much of week in Linux where my preferred
email program can't handle attachments, and this really doesn't bother
me much most of the time.  If you can think of any other way, let me know.
Or mr cwm, depending.

Oh, yeah, I just got a contract in the mail from a magazine that wants to
publish one of my stories...(Bounce, bounce, bounce!)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Maggie's Dream
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
On cold mornings it was Carl's job to start the animals.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 20:22:20 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: At Long Last, Part 2

I am appointing breadbox to the office of Postmaster.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--They Might Be Giants:Flood
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
A penny for your thoughts; $20 to act it out.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:33:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Martin Norb{ck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My house description

Here is the description of my newly created house, previously known as
norpan's house.
This house is now named "norpan - Cell Block H".
Description follows below, delimited by "uggatjacka".

Note to Alfvaen, the Map-Harfer:
  nCBH will soon be browsable on GeoCities, be patient!

uggatjacka
norpan - Cell Block H
- ---------------------
In the following text, norpan - Cell Block H is conveniently called nCBH.

Here is the official description of nCBH.

nCBH is a large red brick building with barred windows surrounded by a small
garden.

The garden has a large wire fence and armed guards protect the outside world
from the residents. There are also some shrubberies.

The following are the rooms of nCBH
* The Governors Office
  Here is where any resident of nCBH at any time can have a long and
  intriguing conversation with the Governor, who is not an Ackanomic Entity
  and therefore does not exist.
* The Recreation Room
  The residents use this room for playing cards and table tennis.
* The Dining Hall
  Large amounts of food are devoured in this room.
* The Solitary
  When norpan has been a Naughty Boy, this is the place for him to go.
* The Reception
  Any visitor must sign in in the Great Book of Visitors.
* The Corridors
  Solely built for the purpose of playing Hide and Seek.
* The Staircase
  For gaining extra potential energy.
* The Staff Room
  The Staff of nCBH meet here, should they exist.
* The Store Room
  A lot of norpan's possessions are kept here.
* The Boiler Room
  For making booze.
* The Sick Bay
  When the booze has been consumed, a lot of the residents go here.
uggatjacka

Signature left blank

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:01:19 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka gallery pictures

>
>Oh, yeah, I just got a contract in the mail from a magazine that wants to
>publish one of my stories...(Bounce, bounce, bounce!)

Cool.  Which magazine?  I just got another one of my short sotries
published.  's three peices this summer!  YES!!!!

Phil
Bouncing with Alfvaen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:03:42 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: trinket

>The Phish is a a clay statue of a fish, about one meter in length.  It
>is a plain but not unattractive brown, unless the person looking at it
>is stoned, shrooming, or on acid.  in such a case, the surface of the
>Phish appears to be an everchanging rainbow of colors, and the Phish
>will utter profound truths to the observer, such as 'Phish is a great
>band' and 'They Might Be Giants is an awful band' and 'The earth is
>flat.'

Not only is this some sort of heresey,  thing its also Zuratilinni (yeah, I
know) of the worst kind.  I reccomend an imediate CFCJ with the end result
of expelling Ben from the game.  We cannot have TMBG haters in Ackanomic :)

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
dead

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:09:54 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Publishing

> >Oh, yeah, I just got a contract in the mail from a magazine that wants to
> >publish one of my stories...(Bounce, bounce, bounce!)

> Cool.  Which magazine?  I just got another one of my short sotries
> published.  's three peices this summer!  YES!!!!

OnSpec Magazine, out of Edmonton.  Who knows when it'll actually appear
(the contract stipulates 'in the next two years', and nothing more, and I
haven't even sent it in yet), but hopefully it will.  I'm sure I'll get a
whopping $30 for it, too...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rush:A Show of Hands
Current Book--Isaac Asimov:Life And Energy
A spade by any other name would smell as sweet.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #261
*******************************