Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #260
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Tuesday, August 19 1997       Volume 02 : Number 260

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:07:09 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Bond Dividends For August 18th, 1997

This is a pretty bad bond cycle, since the only one who actually gained
any points to speak of was Malenkai.  Okay, and mr cwm too.  :-)  I
guess we know who to invest in...

Score changes used for bond cycle calculation:
- ----------------------------------------------
 [zeroes omitted]
Alfvaen: -2
Antimatter: -23
AZTEC GOD: -20
breadbox: -20
Dread Pirate Roberts: -30
/dev/joe: -17
fnord: -20
Karma: -20
Malenkai: 28
mr cwm: 9
Niccolo Flychuck: -17
Rex Mundi: -21
Robert Sevin: -20
Techno: -14
ThinMan: -17
two-star: -7
Vynd: -14
 
Bond Dividends
- --------------
Ace Rimmer: 0.0  -->  100*0
Alfvaen: -1.69  -->  69*-2/2 + 10*-20/2
Antimatter: -10.925  -->  95*-23/2
Atilla the Pun: 0.0  -->  100*0
AZTEC GOD: -10.0  -->  100*-20/2
Balsamic Dragon: 0.0  -->  100*0
Ben: 0.0  -->  100*0
breadbox: -8.2  -->  82*-20/2
Calvin N Hobbes: 0.0  -->  100*0
CarsesraC: 0.0  -->  100*0
Darth Vader: 0.0  -->  100*0
Dread Pirate Roberts: -15.0  -->  100*-30/2
/dev/joe: -8.99  -->  90*-17/2 + 2*28 + 15*-14/2 + 10*-17/2 + 45*0
fnord: -9.615  -->  1*-20/2 + 2*-17/2 + 93*-20/2 + 1*9 + 1*-20/2 + 1*-7/2
Guy Fawkes: 0.0  -->  75*0
Karma: -10.0  -->  100*-20/2
Malenkai: 22.12  -->  79*28
mr cwm: 7.575  -->  2*-20/2 + 1*-20/2 + 94*9 + 5*-20/2 + 1*-17/2
Niccolo Flychuck: -4.675  -->  5*-2/2 + 5*-20/2 + 5*-17/2 + 5*28 + 50*-17/2 + 5*0 + 5*-20/2 + 5*-14/2
norpan: 0.0  -->  100*0
Red Barn: 0.0  -->  90*0
Robert Sevin: -8.46  -->  1*-20/2 + 1*28 + 85*-20/2 + 2*-14/2
Techno: -4.65  -->  30*-17/2 + 30*-14/2 + 30*0
ThinMan: -4.815  -->  5*-2/2 + 10*28 + 89*-17/2
two-star: -4.125  -->  5*-23/2 + 1*-17/2 + 99*-7/2 + 5*0
Voting Gnome: 0.0  -->  20*0
Vynd: -6.86  -->  98*-14/2
Whiz: 0.0  -->  100*0
Ackers: -0.4  -->  4*-20/2
Chaos: -1.215  -->  11*-2/2 + 2*-17/2 + 5*-20/2 + 2*28 + 5*9 + 17*-17/2
Mr. Lunatic Fringe: -3.475  -->  1*28 + 3*-17/2 + 50*-14/2
Narf: 0.0  -->  5*0
Markovian Dream: 0.0  -->  25*0
Odo on the Wormhole: -0.1  -->  10*-2/2
RexBank: -10.5  -->  100*-21/2

#award Alfvaen: -2 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Antimatter: -11 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award AZTEC GOD: -10 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award breadbox: -9 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Dread Pirate Roberts: -15 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award /dev/joe: -9 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award fnord: -10 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Karma: -10 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Malenkai: 23 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award mr cwm: 8 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Niccolo Flychuck: -5 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Robert Sevin: -9 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Techno: -5 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award ThinMan: -5 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award two-star: -5 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Vynd: -7 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Ackers: -1 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Chaos: -2 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Mr. Lunatic Fringe: -4 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award Odo on the Wormhole: -1 A$ : dividend Aug 18
#award RexBank: -11 A$ : dividend Aug 18

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Grapes of Wrath:Do You Want To Tell Me
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
"The fairy rings have not made/their entrance/yet."--Marg

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:53:12 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Acka:  Ben's House of Pain

>I hadn't thought before, but it might be actually against the Rules to
say
>"My house is 35.1 meters high."

Watch out!  You're playing w/ fire there.  You never know about those
CFJs!  j/k
>
>> Ben's House of Pain is a large black monolith, 3.8 meters deep,15.2
>> meters wide, and 34.2 meters high.  it does not reflect light, and is
so
>> black that the material it is made of is indeterminable.  it is
>> completely featureless, except at the lower right, where a phish
>> bumpersticker has been attached to the side of the house.
>> 
>> Ben's House of Pain is surrounded by attractive tasteful shrubbery at
>> its base to hide the suction cups and emergency tether, which the
owner
>> finds aesthetically unpleasing.

Is there any way to build a 1 meter high chimney on Ben's House of Pain
to make it illegal?  :-)

	--Feeling particularly mean today,
		Whiz

BTW, welcome new players and may your houses never be higher than 35
meters!  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:23:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacancies

This message sent to acka-priv.

1) No one volunteered to be Gaoler.  The first eligible player to
claim it gets it.

2) Runemaker is still open too.  This one requires a call for nomination,
then a nomination.

3) fnord is impeached is Poet Laureate.  I now announce the nomination
period for this office.  Reply if you are eligible and want it.

4) Robert Sevin is impeached as Senator (seat Rebus 8-{}).  I now
announce the nomination period for this office.  Reply if you are
eligible and want it.

This list is only political office vacancies.  See Alfvaen for FO
vacancies.  Also, we prolly have a few players to rule 257 at some point.

8) Alfvaen wants a viruses referee ;-)

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:27:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Revised active player list

This should be the complete list of active players below.  New players
will still have to wait 7 days :(  I was thinking of submitting a
dummy proposal just to speed the process up.  It would be nice if
the pe page put player state somewhere near the top of the record
(I always tried to put vacation, with on-ice date, as the first
entry, and was gonna make this improvement too.  I hereby heckle 
the PE harfer for these two improvements, if they are trivial :)

breadbox
Rex Mundi
/dev/joe
Vynd
Malenkai
Alfvaen
two-star
Red Barn
mr cwm
Guy Fawkes
ThinMan
Karma

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:43:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Revised active player list

> This should be the complete list of active players below.  New players
> will still have to wait 7 days :(  I was thinking of submitting a
> dummy proposal just to speed the process up.

Hmmm...I've got a proposal in my mailbox that I can send out before I
make breadbox Promoter(in about ten minutes...:-)

> It would be nice if
> the pe page put player state somewhere near the top of the record
> (I always tried to put vacation, with on-ice date, as the first
> entry, and was gonna make this improvement too.  I hereby heckle 
> the PE harfer for these two improvements, if they are trivial :)

I'll take a look.  If they're easier to do than keeping track of
Prosthetic Forehead numbers...<shudder>  The player states are already
in the "entityowners" file, though I don't keep it as updated as the
file I use to generate the scores page.

If nothing else, when I get my Registrar's page up, I can put some of that
information on it.  But it is nice to have it in the same place.  And also
in more than one place.

> Alfvaen
> breadbox
> /dev/joe
> Guy Fawkes
> Karma
> Malenkai
> mr cwm
> Red Barn
> Rex Mundi
> ThinMan
> two-star
> Vynd

I also have Niccolo Flychuck down; he changed his status Aug 16 13:58
Ackatime.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Steve Earle:Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
You can't hang people before you've caught them.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:47:49 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

> This message sent to acka-priv.

And this reply is not.  I think I've got enough Offices now.

> 3) fnord is impeached is Poet Laureate.  I now announce the nomination
> period for this office.  Reply if you are eligible and want it.

I figured this would come.  :-/  That's the thing about quorum failure,
it's one way to tell who's really Active and who just hasn't lost their
status yet.

> 4) Robert Sevin is impeached as Senator (seat Rebus 8-{}).  I now
> announce the nomination period for this office.  Reply if you are
> eligible and want it.

Didn't this happen about three months ago?  :-)

> This list is only political office vacancies.  See Alfvaen for FO
> vacancies.  Also, we prolly have a few players to rule 257 at some point.

As far as I can tell, those are the only Offices vacated.  There's been so
much Functional Office turnover, none of them ended up in the hands of
anyone who let their Active status lapse.

> 8) Alfvaen wants a viruses referee ;-)

It'd be nice.  :-)  The fate of the Crystal Grapefruit may depend on the
result of this game, for one thing.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Steve Earle:Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Just give Alice some pencils and she will stay busy for hours.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:52:45 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: At Long Last, Part 1

I am appointing breadbox to the offices of Tabulator and Promoter.  I think
we should still go easy on the Proposals until he has Acrobot up, unless he
specifically requests otherwise.  In the meantime we can all vote on P2278
(and I encourage everyone to, especially the new players, so that a)we
don't fail quorum, and b)you can become active if you want to).  Until
further notice, voting is done by emailing [email-masked].
Hopefully he'll let us know if he has a preferred format.

(At Long Last, Part 2, will be coming tomorrow night sometime when he gets
to be Postmaster, too.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Steve Earle:Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
BIG HONKIN' MUONS--The new release by Larry 'Bud' Niven!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:54:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: random stuff

Excerpts from mail: 18-Aug-97 ackanomic digest V2 #258 by ackanomic
digest@muppetl 
> BTW, I hereby announce that I will attempt to make available a copy of the
> rules (unofficial, of course) which includes an INDEX!  This would make it
> much easier for new players to quickly locate the rules which cover certain
> topics.  It will be formatted in WordPerfect 6.1.  If anyone is interested,
> please let me know.
> 
> Balsamic Dragon

a noble effort.  however, you might be interested to know that on the
ackanomic home page there is a link to 'rules by topic.'  so if your
index is no more detailed than that one, your index won't help most
people.  if it is tho, i'm sure everybody will appreciate it (altho
you're setting yourself up for a mighty task here...)

Excerpts from mail: 18-Aug-97 ackanomic digest V2 #259 by ackanomic
digest@muppetl 
>  so i am officially changing the name of my house to Ben's
> > House of Pain.
> 
> I like it.  :-)

thanks.  i'm glad somebody appreciates it.

Excerpts from mail: 18-Aug-97 ackanomic digest V2 #259 by ackanomic
digest@muppetl 
> > according to 846 i can post a description of my house, and apparently
> > there are no restrictions other than it must be less than 35 meters high.
> 
> I'm not clear on whether that means that the complete description,
> displayed in the smallest possible readable font on a computer monitor,
> must fit on a screen less than 35 meters square, or whether, printed on
> paper on which it is still readable, the stack of paper does not exceed 35
> meters in height.  Of course, in either case there are no width
> restrictions.
> 
> I hadn't thought before, but it might be actually against the Rules to say
> "My house is 35.1 meters high."

i'd say it is.  rule 841 part 6 says "all buildings w/o a tower are
under 35 meters high, unless the rules specify otherwise" (i don't know
of any exceptions in the rules thus far).  in rule 846, the final
paragraph states:  "The player may post a description of a building they
own at any time. The building is thereby made exactly as eir description
of it, provided that description follows the rules. It is a crime to
give a description of the house which is not in accord with the rules. "

Excerpts from mail: 18-Aug-97 ackanomic digest V2 #259 by ackanomic
digest@muppetl 
> I'm thinking of adding a page for house descriptions to the web pages.  In
> my copious spare time, of course.  If anyone happens to have their sitting
> around, feel free to email it to me if it wasn't posted in the last three
> months or so(in which case if I know approximately when it was posted I can
> easily find it in my archived email).  Or if it was earlier, I can access
> old email archives.  I suppose Towers should fit into there, too.
> 

i like this idea.  when i wrote my description, i was wondering what
everybody else's house looked like (i tried to choose an architectural
style that would go w/ whatever else might be in the neighborhood). 
ideally, you could click on somebody's house on the webpage map and link
to a description of their house (that's easy for me to say tho, i don't
do any of that stuff).

later kids,
ben 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:00:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: reading the rules and stuff

well, this evening i read the section on blueprints, trinkets, otzma
cards, and history of ackanomic.  i highly recommend the history of
ackanomic to anybody who hasn't read it, and esp to new players.  it
gives insight on what kind of things go on in this game, a bit of who's
who, and it is well-written in a light and humorous style.

i also found quite a few of the trinkets to be extremely amusing, altho
tho there certainly is an abundance of lame ones.  and of course, most
of them are not different in actually game function, just description.  

anyway, i think i am as ready as ever to become a full fledged voting player.

i hereby officially change my status from non-voting to voting.

thanks,
ben 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:05:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: questions about mailing lists

does anybody actually use acka-games or acka-research or acka-finance? 
can anybody think of a good reason why i should subscribe to them?  will
i miss out on anything if i don't?

thanks,
ben 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:56:01 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Revised active player list

>This should be the complete list of active players below.  New players
>will still have to wait 7 days :(  I was thinking of submitting a
>dummy proposal just to speed the process up.

Proposal:

The people who vote on this proposal will become active?

- ---

Will this work?  Ok, so I'm desperate to become active...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:16:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: one more question

i'm not sure i understand the holdup in the game anymore.  what exactly
are we waiting for to happen?

ben 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: trinket

i am creating a trinket called Phish.  it has a value of A$2.  it's
description is as follows:

The Phish is a a clay statue of a fish, about one meter in length.  It
is a plain but not unattractive brown, unless the person looking at it
is stoned, shrooming, or on acid.  in such a case, the surface of the
Phish appears to be an everchanging rainbow of colors, and the Phish
will utter profound truths to the observer, such as 'Phish is a great
band' and 'They Might Be Giants is an awful band' and 'The earth is
flat.'  

- ----

i am going to the museum to donate my Phish trinket to the North Wing. 
then i am returning to my house.

thank you,
ben 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:33:43 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : The Church of Odo on the Wormhole - new member

Whiz has just become a follower of the Church of Odo on the Wormhole

Niccolo Flychuck
Founder

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Chuck S Smith wrote:

> I wish to join the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.
> 
> 	--Whiz
> 
> On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:01:12 +0300 (EET DST) Uri Bruck
> <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >The Church of Odo on the Wormhole is actively seeking out new members.
> >
> >The Church offers many benefits for its members, among them, a self
> >ammending Church Policy - any Follower can participate in this. 
> >The  Church of Odo on the Wormhole actively seeks out to make the game
> >more fun, more dynamic, more nomic.
> >
> >Niccolo Flychuck
> >Founder ofthe Church of Odo on the Wormhole
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:42:02 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Synod Profits (I can see Malenkai Laughing from here)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > The above is true for any day since the Synod has been is Session for over
> > 14 days. However, it is my opinion that due to statute of limitations
> > rules, the ones from more than two weeks ago don't count.
> 
> I would tend to disagree, but it depends on how you construe "declare"
[snipped]

I agree with the platonic interpretation of "declare", but it was my
impression that the statute of limitation effectively pragmatised any
errors that went more than two weeks unnoticed. However, I am willing to
accept Malenkai's interpretation.

Due to the Profit bug, or the fixing of which I have already submitted a
proposal to Alfvaen, all those Profit Sharing days ended the same way,
with all the Churches getting nothing. So once proposal are being
distributed again, we can start enjoying the fruits of our labor.

> 
> The reason I'm laughing is that there was so much BWG about this rule at
> the time, especially from the previous Yor-Delegate, and the thing 
> finally *did* make profit, and those so hot for this thing just ignored
> the profit.  I could write more, but I shall not :-)
> 
> Malenkai

The previous Yor-Delegate was on the verge of leaving, and I have only
been doing this for a few days. The Synod is still just starting out
(yes, a few weeks is still starting out). 
You could write more, but that's just more words you'd have to eat later
:)

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:48:53 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: questions

On 18 Aug 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> There are a few points to Churches.
> 
> 1) A Church member can be rescued from being burned at the stake in a
> Witchhunt, though since the spread of Enlightenment my marshmallow stick
> has been mostly just collecting dust.
> 
> 2) A Church provides means forits founder for wonderfully fast
> transfers of entities, much as a one-man org does, but without the
> start-up expenses or political heat.
> 
> 3) Churches provide the means for players to become ordained as Priests,
> which is an excuse for large volumes of doguerel.
> 
> GF

Excellent points. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 07:58:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Registrarness (Vynd, Niccolo Flychuck)

>Let's give them all a warm Ackanomic welcome!

  Welcome!

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ackanomic digest V2 #254

>No, actually, I was clever enough to put in a
><BASE HREF="http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/"> tag at the
>beginning.  Maybe your browser doesn't grok that bit of HTML, but it
>_should_ make that URL the source of all relative links.  If that last
>phrase makes any sense.  :-)

  Ah, yes.  I refuse to use Netscape; if I had a Unix machine at home, I'd
use Lynx, but I don't, so I use this horrid little browser... anyway, I'm
not too fond of HTML versions 3+ to begin with.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:09:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: questions about mailing lists

>does anybody actually use acka-games or acka-research or acka-finance? 

  Yes.

>can anybody think of a good reason why i should subscribe to them?  will

  Yes.

>i miss out on anything if i don't?

  Yes.

  Oh?  Oh, yes.  Personally, I don't like them, but other people do, and
use them.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:09:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: questions about mailing lists

>does anybody actually use acka-games or acka-research or acka-finance? 

  Yes.

>can anybody think of a good reason why i should subscribe to them?  will

  Yes.

>i miss out on anything if i don't?

  Yes.

  Oh?  Oh, yes.  Personally, I don't like them, but other people do, and
use them.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:07:29 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> No offense, but--ick!  I would rather not see anything in WordPerfect
6.1.
> Of course, I'm a pro-UNIX anti-Microsoft anti-Windows radical, so my
views
> may not be representative.  :-)
> 

Actually, your views are representative, you're the second person who has
said that!  I'm afraid that my HTML is profoundly lacking.  I have a web
page on goecities with which I am attempting to learn it.  I do have a copy
of Adobe Acrobat (somewhere).  Someone mentioned it before, would that be a
better alternative?

PS - WP6.1 is what we use at work, which is where my e-mail account is,
though WP7 (which I use at home) is a decent word processor and I'll stand
by it!

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:13:03 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Evil Twin

> 
> I am becoming Alfvaen's Evil Twin, if he agrees to it (and
> vice versa).  Do I have to quote any TMBG to make this work?
> 
> Malenkai
> So let me thank you for putting me back in my snail shell

God, I love the fact that there are so many TMBG fans here !!!

Balsamic Dragon

To make the merry-go-round go faster, 
so that everyone has to hang on tight
just to keep from being thrown to the wolves

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:16:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: questions about mailing lists

Ben asked:
> does anybody actually use acka-games or acka-research or acka-finance? 
> can anybody think of a good reason why i should subscribe to them?  will
> i miss out on anything if i don't?

acka-games is used for subgames, such as YORL, Viruses, ghost, etc.
There is an active (though somewhat slow-paced) game of YORL now, though
I think many of the recent posts have been on the main list instead.
There is a stalled game of Viruses that needs a referee to continue,
which is also played using that list.  The exception to this is Party
Chess which has its own list.

acka-research is intended to be used for discussion of ideas not yet
submitted as proposals (RFCs) as well as discussion of submitted proposals.
The acka-voting list is supposed to have followups go here.

acka-finance is intended to be used as a marketplace, a place to post
wanted or for-sale ads of acka-entities.  At times it has seen a great
deal of activity, perhaps the most when IdiotBoy was here.  (He posted
an almost daily list of buy/sell prices for PFbonds.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:14:34 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re new players

A heartfelt welcome to all!!
- - Karma (just uor luck to get a plethora of players in this transition I
think the priests should pray)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:17:30 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka goaler

I volunteer to be goaeler it sounds extremely simple and low maintenance,
except for psting the in goel icons next to appropo players
- - Karma

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:44:43 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

Balsamic Dragon wrote:

[attribution lost:]
> > No offense, but--ick!  I would rather not see anything in
> WordPerfect
> 6.1.
> > Of course, I'm a pro-UNIX anti-Microsoft anti-Windows radical, so my
> views
> > may not be representative.  :-)
> > 
> 
> Actually, your views are representative, you're the second person who
> has
> said that!  I'm afraid that my HTML is profoundly lacking.  I have a
> web
> page on goecities with which I am attempting to learn it.  I do have a
> copy
> of Adobe Acrobat (somewhere).  Someone mentioned it before, would that
> be a
> better alternative?
> 
I personally was very fond of WP 5.0 and 5.1, but I never liked any of
the Windows versions.  I have recently switched to Word, as it is the
word processor supported at my workplace.  I would think that WP would
be better than PDF (Acrobat), but who am I to say?  Recent versions of
Word will read WP files up through version 6.x.  Some word processors
come with tools to assist in generating HTML code from your documents.
If you have something like that available to you then that might be a
good solution.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:42:40 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

> > 8) Alfvaen wants a viruses referee ;-)
> 
> It'd be nice.  :-)  The fate of the Crystal Grapefruit may depend on the
> result of this game, for one thing.
> 
Alright, alright, what does a referee do anyway?

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:48:03 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: random stuff

> 
> a noble effort.  however, you might be interested to know that on the
> ackanomic home page there is a link to 'rules by topic.'  so if your
> index is no more detailed than that one, your index won't help most
> people.  if it is tho, i'm sure everybody will appreciate it (altho
> you're setting yourself up for a mighty task here...)
> 

Yes, it will be more detailed than the rules by topic.  I work in a law
office.  The index will be similar a word-index which accompanies a
deposition transcript, only arranged by topic as well as alphabetically,
and without all the common words, i.e., "the" and "and".

Hey, I have a lot of time on my hands, okay?

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: 19 Aug 1997 09:59:51 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Hello.

	In accordance with the Rules, I select a Prosthetic Forehead that
is sloped gracefully above the brow into a slivery peak, from which is
suspended a ruby-red silk ribbon embroidered in the finest gold thread
with the words "Veritable and Venerable Master of the Obscure" by
transferring A$7 to the Treasury.

	With humbleness approaching gross debasement, I respectfully
present the abovementioned Prosthetic Forehead to Alfvaen, for so quickly
identifying my moniker and complimenting me on my first choice, which due
to an unfortunate oversight was 7 letters too long.

- -- 
Cerebus <[email-masked]>
PGP Fingerprint: 
             BC AB 28 19 A6 A4 FF 5B  CA 4D B4 03 3A A7 F4 5C

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:21:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

> Alright, alright, what does a referee do anyway?

I also can't find anything in the game Rules to say that a non-Active
player can't be a Referee, but if anyone more expert than I knows
otherwise, then let us know before we illegally accept a Pending player as
referee...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Put your ear to stone and open your heart to the sky

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:03:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: one more question

> i'm not sure i understand the holdup in the game anymore.  what exactly
> are we waiting for to happen?

Well, first of all we were waiting for the official transition of breadbox
to Promoter/Tabulator, since he is likely to be the long-term holder of
those offices.  Now that that's happened, we're waiting for him to get
Acrobot set up so that the Proposal submission/distribution/voting
processes can get sufficiently automated for the workload not to be
headacheous for him.

In other words, now is not _quite_ the time to start the flood of Proposals
going.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
I went into a general store, and they wouldn't sell me anything specific.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:16:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: random stuff

> Yes, it will be more detailed than the rules by topic.  I work in a law
> office.  The index will be similar a word-index which accompanies a
> deposition transcript, only arranged by topic as well as alphabetically,
> and without all the common words, i.e., "the" and "and".

Calvin N Hobbes(who's a wee bit overdue from his Vacation...)was working
up a similar index for the CFJ database; I don't think he got it all done,
but it sounds like the same kind of thing.

> Hey, I have a lot of time on my hands, okay?

Those are the kinds of people we need more of in this game!  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
The reader of this tagline only exists while reading me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:53:54 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Revised active player list

> >This should be the complete list of active players below.  New players
> >will still have to wait 7 days :(  I was thinking of submitting a
> >dummy proposal just to speed the process up.

> Proposal:

> The people who vote on this proposal will become active?

I think that's forbidden because Proposals' effects aren't allowed to
discriminate on the basis of who voted for them.  Just vote on Niccolo
Flychuck's proposal, 2278, that I distributed last night.  (It seems pretty
harmless to me; essentially, it corrects the Synod rule so that member
organizations get "0.1 of the profits" instead of just "0.1".  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
He's dead, Jim.  Kick him if you don't believe me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:06:20 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: trinket

> i am creating a trinket called Phish.  it has a value of A$2.  it's
> description is as follows:

> The Phish is a a clay statue of a fish, about one meter in length.  It
> is a plain but not unattractive brown, unless the person looking at it
> is stoned, shrooming, or on acid.  in such a case, the surface of the
> Phish appears to be an everchanging rainbow of colors, and the Phish
> will utter profound truths to the observer, such as 'Phish is a great
> band' and 'They Might Be Giants is an awful band' and 'The earth is
> flat.'  

Yeah, Phish is okay, I suppose.  I should probably get more from them;
I've only got "A Picture of Nectar" so far.  However, I must say that the
TMBG comments are likely to get a Witchhunt called against you or
something.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Blood flows down one leg and up the other.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:15:09 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacancies

> > > 8) Alfvaen wants a viruses referee ;-)

> > It'd be nice.  :-)  The fate of the Crystal Grapefruit may depend on the
> > result of this game, for one thing.

> Alright, alright, what does a referee do anyway?

Well, according to the Rules of Viruses, the referee collects the moves for
each turn, and then posts the board for the next round.  What our last
referee did was collect the moves for each turn, post them later(usually),
and either come up with a board for the next round which /dev/joe and I 
usually had to correct, or just let us do the work anyway.  :-)  I wrote up
a Perl script that does the work.

So, essentially, how much of the work you do is pretty much up to you.  I
can update the Viruses web page(I think it's at least a round behind) ("Heh
heh...heh heh...he said 'round behind'...")

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Gotta love the name "Viking Penguin," don't you?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:10:58 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome, Word processors

> Actually, your views are representative, you're the second person who has
> said that!  I'm afraid that my HTML is profoundly lacking.  I have a web
> page on goecities with which I am attempting to learn it.

Trust me: HTML is really really easy.  Just put a <P> at the end of every
paragraph and you'll be fine.  :-)

> I do have a copy
> of Adobe Acrobat (somewhere).  Someone mentioned it before, would that be a
> better alternative?

Not really.  On another mailing list I'm on somebody suggested making
available a bunch of information in Acrobat format, and it got soundly
shouted down.

> PS - WP6.1 is what we use at work, which is where my e-mail account is,
> though WP7 (which I use at home) is a decent word processor and I'll stand
> by it!

I just don't use word processors much.  I use text editors, and just
don't care as much about my formatting.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
"Ballcocks, governor.  Your ballcocks're gone."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:09:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: ackanomic digest V2 #254

> >No, actually, I was clever enough to put in a
> ><BASE HREF="http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/"> tag at the
> >beginning.  Maybe your browser doesn't grok that bit of HTML, but it
> >_should_ make that URL the source of all relative links.  If that last
> >phrase makes any sense.  :-)

>   Ah, yes.  I refuse to use Netscape; if I had a Unix machine at home, I'd
> use Lynx, but I don't, so I use this horrid little browser... anyway, I'm
> not too fond of HTML versions 3+ to begin with.

I've become reconciled to them.  When "tables" and the like were just
Netscape extensions, I protested them mightily, but now that they're in the
revised standard, I accept them.  (I mean, it's not like the standard was
perfect the first time out, before anyone actually started to use it, was
it?)

I also used to refuse to use Netscape, but using a horrid little browser
called Redbaron that came with my Linux distribution finally drove me to
download it.  Mostly so that I can play Fantasy Billboard.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Your eyes...it's a days work, just looking into them.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:00:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: reading the rules and stuff

> well, this evening i read the section on blueprints, trinkets, otzma
> cards, and history of ackanomic.  i highly recommend the history of
> ackanomic to anybody who hasn't read it, and esp to new players.  it
> gives insight on what kind of things go on in this game, a bit of who's
> who, and it is well-written in a light and humorous style.

Yes.  Kudos to breadbox, the Historian, and when he has some free time
after getting Acrobot set up, nag him about doing more.  :-)  (A while ago
he mentioned that his History was progressing at the rate of one month per
month...not a good rate if you want to catch up.  I'd wager it might have
slowed down recently, too.)

> anyway, i think i am as ready as ever to become a full fledged voting player.

> i hereby officially change my status from non-voting to voting.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  I think you did end up joining as a
voting player, as opposed to non-voting.  Furthermore, if you _had_ joined
as a non-voting player, you would now be a Pending player upon announcing
the above intention, so in any case your status is now Pending.  You'll
have to vote on Niccolo Flychuck's Proposal like all the other new players
if you want to become Active.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dean Martin:The Capitol Years
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Testostaroni--the _real_ San Francisco treat!

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #260
*******************************