Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #258
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Monday, August 18 1997        Volume 02 : Number 258

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:23:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rules

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, breadbox wrote:

>It is rather strange that, with all these Harfers, there is no
>official Rule-Harfer. I think that this job traditionally fell to the
>Speaker, but when /dev/joe became the Web-Harfer (during the previous
>mass-transition), the job sort of wound up with him.

I guess I always thought that keeping a copy of the rules going was the
primary responsibility of the Web-Harfer, not just something he happened
to take up.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:40:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Apologizes

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Alfvaen wrote:

>What this has brought home to me, though, is the uselessness of the Crime
>rules.  If it seems absurd to CFCJ yourself, and rude to CFCJ another, then
>when will it be used?  If anyone can see any reason why the bulk of the
>Rules in the 700's should not go the way of Rental and the Narfalone
>Family, let him speak now or as soon as the Acrobot is up again, we'll see
>about trimming some more fat from the Rules.

As Malenkai pointed out, some CFCJ's are either harfy or interesting, so
I'd rather not see them go.  (And I thought CFCJ'ing yourself made perfect
sense.)

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:53:13 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: questions

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Benjamin Good wrote:
> 
> 5) i also don't see the point of churches, either founding them or
> becoming a member of one.
> 
> 6) i also don't see the point of the synod.

I'll answer both of these together - they have as much point as anything
else in the game. 

It is my opinion that Malenkai mis represented the Synod in his reply to
you. He stated that the Synod was around for 10 months without doing
anything, not true - the rule has been around, the Synod has just been
recently in session. I see that as a strength of the rule rather than a
weakness. When it is not used, it is unobtrusive and adds no work to the
game.
As for not doing Profit Sharing, I cannot speak for my predecesoor in the
job of Yor Delegate, but I've only held the post for a couple of days and
I intend to report Profits soon.

 > actually, i don't much see how the game of party chess much affects
> ackanomic either, other than the occasional swingpoint and the fact that
> chess variants are fun.

Swingpoints have some effect. Currently their value is rather low, points
are not considered an important part of the game by most players, there
are currently simpler ways to get Bonus Votes, and since it appears that
few ever read the Otzma Card rules, the aspect of Swingpoints which
affects Otzma Cards was never used either.

Niccolo Flychuck

 > > well, that's all i can think of now,
> thanks,
> ben 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:01:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : The Church of Odo on the Wormhole

The Church of Odo on the Wormhole is actively seeking out new members.

The Church offers many benefits for its members, among them, a self
ammending Church Policy - any Follower can participate in this. 
The  Church of Odo on the Wormhole actively seeks out to make the game
more fun, more dynamic, more nomic.

Niccolo Flychuck
Founder of the Church of Odo on the Wormhole

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:11:37 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Synod Profits (I can see Malenkai Laughing from here)

whenever the Synod has been in session for at least 14 consecutive days
and
    there was no Profit Sharing Day for at least 14 consecutive days

The above is true for any day since the Synod has been is Session for over
14 days. However, it is my opinion that due to statute of limitations
rules, the ones from more than two weeks ago don't count. So I'm reporting
on the Profit Sharing Day of two weeks ago, and of the one that occurs two
weeks after that, today.
It seems that there was still a typo in the Synod Profit Sharing , it says
that each Organization receives (NoM*2)/(TotalMem*5), when it should have
said (NoM*2)/(TotalMem*5)*Profits.  We do have to follow the letter rather
than the intent, and the letter of the law awards each member Organization
nothing at all.

Time to write some proposals.

Niccolo Flychuck
Yor-Delegate

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:03:43 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:ackanomic digest V2 #254

> Use my web page, http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/acka/; the
> other one is not being updated.  (Of course, mine isn't being updated
> _that_ much, but I'm trying.  :-/  )  You should probably unsubscribe
> from the wilma.che.utexas.edu lists and move onto the muppetlabs.com
> ones.

  Ahhhh, done.  For the record, your page just give my client "Forbidden"
messages for anything but the main page itself.

> It was a pain to keep track of vacations and when everybody needed them.
> I ended up doing it for a while...  I think you might have a SVH(I can't
> remember; if you did, it would predate the Web-Harfer vacancy and should
> be on the pages), but the Rule no longer requires you to say that you're
> wearing it.

  Ah, well.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 02:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Halloo?

>   You needn't reply.  If I get this, I'll assume you all did, too.

Red Barn, I assume that you sent this because of the message you sent
earlier, and only now was sent to the list.

As Acting Postmaster, I apologize for the inconvenience. What happened
was that your message contained the word u-n-s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e in the
first ten lines, and so it was kicked back into my mailbox in case it
was a typical newbie request to be u-n-s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e-d.

Normally, these filters are good things to have. (In fact, just last
week they caught an observer's email asking to be taken off the main
list.) However, in our case they could cause problems, particularly in
a Hubert situation. I don't want people to feel they have to remember
not to use certain words at certain times, so providing there are no
objections, I'm going to go in and have them disabled. I figure any
BWG that gets let through won't hold a candle to the usual flood.

A reminder to everyone, and observers in particular: anyone can remove
themselves from any public mailing list by sending a message to
[email-masked] - NOT the mailing list in question - that
says "unsubscribe <listname>".  The command goes in the message
itself, not the subject line (which is ignored). This is a standard
feature and works on any majordomo mailing list anywhere.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:28:32 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Active Players

Malenkai wrote:

> I have the following as the list of active players:
> 
> I have ThinMan's attempt as failing.
> 
You have my _second_ attempt as failing?  This is incorrect, I think.

Just in case, though, I hereby change my status from non-voting to
voting.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:34:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

I am creating a Lushrike, named Elmo, with the following text
(delimited by ELMO), in accordance with its Blueprint.

/dev/joe

ELMO
> Lushrike is the curator of the Museum, and it is a duty of that office to
> maintain records of the Museum's inventory, and other relevant Museum
> details.  Any player may create a Lushrike by publicly announcing
> that e is doing so and providing the name and text of the Lushrike.
> Only Lushrike may be randomly selected for anything, except where the
> rules specifically allow non-active players to be selected.  Lushrike
> takes precedence over all rules.  Lushrike is a mimsy, non-Tradeable,
> Garment.  Lushrike must be in exactly one Location at any one time.
> There is a unique entity called Lushrike which can be chewed only on
> alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Whenever 2 or more Swingers are
> in the same location, they are specificaly forbidden from discussing
> Lushrike or bragging about their victories.  Lushrike shall exclaim,
> "It's alive! <name> IS ALIVE!"  The maximum number of Otzma Cards that
> Lushrike may create on an Otzma-Day is equal to the smallest integer
> equal to or greater than (LSAP-1)/2.  Lushrike is such that any new parts
> would be rejected.  Lushrike shall be declared the winner of cycle one,
> the game cycle number shall be set to one, and the full process described
> above shall be conducted.  If Lushrike fails to publicly post an article
> notifying its subscribers of the End of the World within 7 days of its
> occurrence, its owner will be fined A$5 for poor coverage of the news.
> Lushrike may manipulate Rules and the Rule set.
ELMO

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:41:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket/Treasure Creation

To try to provide some diversion during the chaos of recent weeks, I
am creating a trinket and a treasure, as described below.

My trinket (worth A$100) is called Stormbringer.
Stormbringer is a very long black sword, with the blade covered
in strange glowing runes from hilt to point.  Stormbringer is new
to this realm, but in others it has existed for thousands of years,
and has taken the souls of a million men.

I am burying Stormbringer and Elmo as a treasure.
The map has been written, but the clues to the map haven't been
all written yet so I'm not yet revealing anything else, but expect a
puzzle soon.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:03:24 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic welcome

Thanks to all for a warm welcome to Ackanomic.  This sounds like a fun game
and I hope to get really involved.  My platform is the slash-and-burn of
old boring bureaucracies and the creation of fun new bureaucracies.  
Someone please make a proposal so that I can vote on it and become an
active member!

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:10:36 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: acka : The Church of Odo on the Wormhole

I wish to join the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.

	--Whiz

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:01:12 +0300 (EET DST) Uri Bruck
<[email-masked]> writes:
>
>The Church of Odo on the Wormhole is actively seeking out new members.
>
>The Church offers many benefits for its members, among them, a self
>ammending Church Policy - any Follower can participate in this. 
>The  Church of Odo on the Wormhole actively seeks out to make the game
>more fun, more dynamic, more nomic.
>
>Niccolo Flychuck
>Founder of the Church of Odo on the Wormhole

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:44:50 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

>I am creating a Lushrike, named Elmo, with the following text
>(delimited by ELMO), in accordance with its Blueprint.
>
>/dev/joe

Yeeee-Haw!

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

> Thanks to all for a warm welcome to Ackanomic.  This sounds like a
> fun game and I hope to get really involved.  My platform is the
> slash-and-burn of old boring bureaucracies and the creation of fun
> new bureaucracies.  Someone please make a proposal so that I can
> vote on it and become an active member!

I really hate to say this, but that may be a little while yet. Until
we get these critical offices worked out, and the dust settles some,
we kind of have our hands full as it is.

Believe me, though, this is not normal. When was the last time there
were ZERO proposals up for consideration? For days at a time? By the
time I'm actually appointed Promoter/Tabulator, I will probably be
flooded with everyone's pent-up proposals.

In the meantime ... "How about a nice game of [acka-]chess?"

breadbox
merely a Justice, but soon to become so much more

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:04:57 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

> I really hate to say this, but that may be a little while yet. Until
> we get these critical offices worked out, and the dust settles some,
> we kind of have our hands full as it is.

Tell you what:  I served as a chief justice on another (albeit short-lived)
nomic game.  If you need someone in a similar position, and you don't mind
giving it to a newbie, I'm up for it.

gunnin' for promotion,

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

>> I really hate to say this, but that may be a little while yet. Until
>> we get these critical offices worked out, and the dust settles some,
>> we kind of have our hands full as it is.
> 
> Tell you what: I served as a chief justice on another (albeit
> short-lived) nomic game.  If you need someone in a similar position,
> and you don't mind giving it to a newbie, I'm up for it.

No, the problem is not that we don't have volunteers. I am supposed to
be the next Tabulator/Promoter. The problem is that the rules have
slowed us down in getting myself (and others) properly appointed.

In true nomic reflexivity, part of the trouble was that most of us
forgot to vote after our last Promoter/Tabulator announced his
resignation, thus causing a quorum failure, thus putting several of us
on non-voting status, thus making us ineligible to be appointed to
Functional Offices.

Another reason why we're a little hesitant to throw out any more
proposals until this is all worked out.

(None of this has really stopped the CFJs from flowing, however, so I
imagine you'll get your chance to Judge something soon enough.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:24:56 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

Brian Raiter wrote:

> In the meantime ... "How about a nice game of [acka-]chess?"
> 

Better yet, care to referee a game of viruses :-) (Sorry Alfvaen.)

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:40:21 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

> > In the meantime ... "How about a nice game of [acka-]chess?"
> Better yet, care to referee a game of viruses :-) 

Sorry guys, still reading the rules.  I'll be busy for a little while.  

BTW, I hereby announce that I will attempt to make available a copy of the
rules (unofficial, of course) which includes an INDEX!  This would make it
much easier for new players to quickly locate the rules which cover certain
topics.  It will be formatted in WordPerfect 6.1.  If anyone is interested,
please let me know.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:57:01 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Acka: mini-games

How can we get a list of the mini-games?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:24:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

>BTW, I hereby announce that I will attempt to make available a copy of the
>rules (unofficial, of course) which includes an INDEX!  This would make it
>much easier for new players to quickly locate the rules which cover certain
>topics.  It will be formatted in WordPerfect 6.1.  If anyone is interested,
>please let me know.

  Exceedingly, but not in WordPerfect...

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:23:48 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

Brian Raiter wrote:

> 
> Another reason why we're a little hesitant to throw out any more
> proposals until this is all worked out.
> 
> (None of this has really stopped the CFJs from flowing, however, so I
> imagine you'll get your chance to Judge something soon enough.)
> 
> breadbox

Well, r212 says that *active*, (as opposed to pending,) players are
selected for cfjs, so Balsamic Dragon (and Whiz and Norpan) still have
to wait until we have some proposals again. But it looks at this point
like we have gotten past all of the legal obstacles that were screwing
things up, although there are still technical difficulties. (Like, how
the heck am I going to put together this Map thing? :)) 

I am definately looking forward to the game getting back into stride.
OTOH, I think it is ok to have quiet periods to reflect and regroup,
(and repair, if need be,) as frustrating, (or boring) as it might be to
join the game during such a period.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:41:12 -0400
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re YORL

Was my YORL play recieved? I sent it from a different isp and adress
and am now convinced I need to register my new adress to mailing lists 
either that or everyone's ignoring me
- - Karma (unpolite Beldins Tailor)

------------------------------

Date: 18 Aug 1997 15:07:34 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka: questions

There are a few points to Churches.

1) A Church member can be rescued from being burned at the stake in a
Witchhunt, though since the spread of Enlightenment my marshmallow stick
has been mostly just collecting dust.

2) A Church provides means for its founder for wonderfully fast
transfers of entities, much as a one-man org does, but without the
start-up expenses or political heat.

3) Churches provide the means for players to become ordained as Priests,
which is an excuse for large volumes of doguerel.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:00:04 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Acka: Partychess not in Acka?

Would anyone be interested in starting a game of party chess that wasn't
affiliated w/ Ackanomic?  Send ME (not the list) a message if you would
and I'll let all who respond know the outcome.

	--Thank you,
	Whiz

------------------------------

Date: 18 Aug 1997 15:36:52 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: a Trinket and a Treasure

To share the wealth from my recent theft, I am creating a Trinket, value
A$250, called Sqare Peg and Round Hole.  It is a polished brass
rectangular prism and a burnished silver toroid.  They almost (but not
quite) fit together.

I am burying this Trinket.

This Treasure shall be found by the first player to submit a
non-recursively defined formula for the nth term in the series whose 1st
13 terms are as follows:

1
2
12
0
- -720
0
30240
0
- -1209600
0
47900160
0
- -1307674368000 / 691     (yes, 691 is prime)

Failing that, this treasure can be found by submitting a non-recursively
defined formula for the nth term of the series consisting of the
odd-numbered members of the above (720, 30240, 1209600, etc.) although
if you can find that, converting it to the first should not be too
difficult.

Guy Fawkes

P.S.  I have not found a solution myself, although I am confident one
exists.  I believed at first it was some sort of combination of
factorials, and it probably does contain a few, though the last term
there utterly bewilders me (I've checked it three times).  The binomial
series does have _some_ relation to this, though the transformation may
be so horribly complex that the binomial series is a bad starting point.
If anyone thinks more terms would be useful, I can calculate a few more
(I generate them as part of a much larger problem) though I am beginning
to run out of digits on my calculator's mantissa :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:48:22 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: re YORL

Karma wrote:
> Was my YORL play recieved? I sent it from a different isp and adress
> and am now convinced I need to register my new adress to mailing lists
> 
> either that or everyone's ignoring me
> 
It looks like everyone has been ignoring you.  Your play
was received here, at least.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:50:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Martin Norb{ck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rule Harfer?

The rules are the most important part of Ackanomic. In fact they are the only
part that matters. In view of this it is strange that there is no Rule Harfer.

Are the web page for the rules updated by some automatic tool or is it updated
by hand?
The best thing to do, in my humble opinion, would be to have a database of all
the rules and proposals with links. Then the html source could be
automatically generated from this database, the database could be queried by
ftp or email and the players could always get the latest updates.
The database need not be that advanced. A simple file for each rule and
proposal, and a simple file format allowing links to other rules and proposals.
Beacuse a lot of people (including me!) has to resort to using a simple 28.8
connection, the task of checking a specific rule is a time-consuming matter.
This could be solved by using on-the-fly generated html-pages, one for every
rule.

This of course requires a Rule Harfer! The office of Rule Harfer would be an
optiobal office, and the task of updating the rules should be performed by the
Rule Harfer as often as e has time. Preferably the rules should be updated
right after any new rule change take effect.

I could consider being Rule Harfer, should such an office come into existance.

I would very much like to have comments on this suggestion.

	/norpan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:15:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

> >I am creating a Lushrike, named Elmo, with the following text
> >(delimited by ELMO), in accordance with its Blueprint.
> >
> >/dev/joe
> 
> 
> Yeeee-Haw!
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe

I believe that my action did not succeed, because the blueprint is only
empowered to describe the behavior of the Lushrike.  At best, it could
allow players to create Lushrikes at will once one Lushrike existed, and
I believe that the text as written does not do that either.  This sentence
seems to be in conflict with the rules, and as such, the blueprint may
already be destroyed -- I don't have the time to check this in more
detail right now.

In any case, if my creation of a Lushrike failed, so did my treasure
burial.  Like Elric, I tried to get rid of the black sword and failed. :-o
So I again bury a treasure, this time consisting only of Stormbringer.
The same map (with clues yet to be revealed) applies to this treasure.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:30:22 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

>I believe that my action did not succeed, because the blueprint is only
>empowered to describe the behavior of the Lushrike.  At best, it could
>allow players to create Lushrikes at will once one Lushrike existed, and
>I believe that the text as written does not do that either.  This sentence
>seems to be in conflict with the rules, and as such, the blueprint may
>already be destroyed -- I don't have the time to check this in more
>detail right now.

Since I vas premature in my posting of zee Blueprint, it did not happen
at all!  So zere is no Blueprint for Lushrike!  I apologize for zee confusion!

In non-Mad-Scientist mode, I will hopefully acquit what of my Speakerly,
Web-Harferly, Financierly, etc. duties I can tonight.  I'm perforce in DOS
right now(printing off some resumes and stuff), so I can't access most of
the stuff on my Linux filesystem.  (Yeah, I know, I need to improve my
system setup quite a bit.)  I'll hopefully be putting up some pages on my
Geocities web space soon.

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Bangles:Different Light
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
On the other hand, you have different fingers.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:33:34 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re:ackanomic digest V2 #254

>> Use my web page, http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/acka/; the
>> other one is not being updated.  (Of course, mine isn't being updated
>> _that_ much, but I'm trying.  :-/  )  You should probably unsubscribe
>> from the wilma.che.utexas.edu lists and move onto the muppetlabs.com
>> ones.

>  Ahhhh, done.  For the record, your page just give my client "Forbidden"
>messages for anything but the main page itself.

That's not good...  Almost everything(I should mark the stuff that isn't
with an asterisk or something)is still on wilma.che.utexas.edu, and if
access to that is problematic or intermittent...  On the other hand, I'm
having no problems right now.  If anyone else is, let me know.  In the
meantime, I should maybe get a move on trying to get my own copies of this
stuff.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Bangles:Different Light
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill & The Foxes
Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:04:34 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I return from vacation.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:02:52 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Chuck S Smith)
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule Harfer?

>I could consider being Rule Harfer, should such an office come into 
>existance.
>
>I would very much like to have comments on this suggestion.
>
>	/norpan

I nominate norpan for the office of Rule Harfer!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:16:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Synod Profits (I can see Malenkai Laughing from here)

> The above is true for any day since the Synod has been is Session for over
> 14 days. However, it is my opinion that due to statute of limitations
> rules, the ones from more than two weeks ago don't count.

I would tend to disagree, but it depends on how you construe "declare"
in rule 1303.  It is my interpretation that the profits and profit 
sharing days occur Platonically, and the Yor-Delegate only reports them,
just like everything else.  Therefore, after the first fortnight, profits
happened but the Yor-Delegate ignored them.  It is the duty of the
current Yor-Delegate to report them from back that far.  Since the
Yor-Delegate is not an office, the speed rule does not apply.  The 
statute of limitations does not apply either, because this is not an
error of comission or ommission, but of reporting the game state.

Now, one could argue that the "declare" in rule 1303 means that profit
sharing days only occur when "declared" by the Yor-Delegate.  I personally
find this interpretation far fetched; it seems more reasonable and in
accordance with customary English usage that that it should be construed
to be that the Yor-Delegate 'declare a profit-sharing day occurred'.
I suppose it is up to others as to how it goes, and if Niccolo's 
interpretation stands (implictly from his actions), then we have a game
custom rendering.

The reason I'm laughing is that there was so much BWG about this rule at
the time, especially from the previous Yor-Delegate, and the thing 
finally *did* make profit, and those so hot for this thing just ignored
the profit.  I could write more, but I shall not :-)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:32:15 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:ackanomic digest V2 #254

> >  Ahhhh, done.  For the record, your page just give my client "Forbidden"
> >messages for anything but the main page itself.
>
> That's not good...  Almost everything(I should mark the stuff that isn't
> with an asterisk or something)is still on wilma.che.utexas.edu, and if
> access to that is problematic or intermittent...  On the other hand, I'm
> having no problems right now.  If anyone else is, let me know.  In the
> meantime, I should maybe get a move on trying to get my own copies of this
> stuff.

  Oh, I see:  you have the links still as they were before - relative.  So
a browser following them tries to access the copies at your site, and, of
course, fails.  I must just have been the first one to try it.  :-)

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:46:51 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Rule Harfer?

Martin Norb{ck wrote:
> 
> The rules are the most important part of Ackanomic. In fact they are the only
> part that matters. In view of this it is strange that there is no Rule Harfer.
> 

Well, there is also the Game State, which encompasses quite a bit beyond
the rules.

> Beacuse a lot of people (including me!) has to resort to using a simple 28.8
> connection, the task of checking a specific rule is a time-consuming matter.
> This could be solved by using on-the-fly generated html-pages, one for every
> rule.
> 
> This of course requires a Rule Harfer! The office of Rule Harfer would be an
> optiobal office, and the task of updating the rules should be performed by the
> Rule Harfer as often as e has time. Preferably the rules should be updated
> right after any new rule change take effect.
> 
> I could consider being Rule Harfer, should such an office come into existance.
> 
> I would very much like to have comments on this suggestion.
> 

I personally find the single gargantuan file version of the rules most
convenient, because I can download it and save it once and then search
for particular keywords in the file I have saved when I need to,
(without going on line.) For this reason, an index is not so pressing a
need for me. Even when the rule changes come in pretty furiously, I
usually don't, but probably should, save the full rules more than once
every 4 weeks or so. 

One thing I would find useful: html links to rules that a rule refers to
either explicitly or by using a concept defined elsewhere.

As far as a separate rule-harfer office (from web-harfer) goes, I take a
fairly pragmatic stance. When /dev/joe was doing both it didn't seem so
pressing, but if the current plan, (if "plan" is not too strong a word,
suggesting as it does organized intent,) of having Alfvaen doing the
general web-harfing and breadbox doing the rule-harfing goes through,
then we should have separate offices. Both involve sufficient work that
is essential to running the game to warrant it.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:16:16 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Potato + Aliens

mr cwm has found the magic potato.

Alien rolls:

4435
3657
2091

none of these are rules.  The majik stuff does not apply this week.

Malenkai
speaker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lushrike

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> I am creating a Lushrike, named Elmo, with the following text
> (delimited by ELMO), in accordance with its Blueprint.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 
> ELMO
> > Lushrike is the curator of the Museum, and it is a duty of that office to
> > maintain records of the Museum's inventory, and other relevant Museum
> > details.  Any player may create a Lushrike by publicly announcing
> > that e is doing so and providing the name and text of the Lushrike.

Well, fisrt off, as I think Alfvaen has already pointed out, he screwed up
when he posted this, there is no blueprint for Lushrike as of yet.  This
sentence is one of the more interesting of the many intersting sentences
in here though, I must agree.  I'm too lazy to go look in the rules right
now, but I believe they specificaly state that Frankenstein monsters may
only be created as described in the Frankenstein Monster rule.  This would
probably make it impossible to create Lushrikes in this manner.

> > alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Whenever 2 or more Swingers are
> > in the same location, they are specificaly forbidden from discussing
> > Lushrike or bragging about their victories.  Lushrike shall exclaim,

This one is mine. :)

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:46:53 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

> > In the meantime ... "How about a nice game of [acka-]chess?"

> Better yet, care to referee a game of viruses :-) (Sorry Alfvaen.)

> **two-star

Why apologize?  We still need a referee...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Cure:Fascination Street
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Rotisserie: a Ferris wheel for chickens.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:58:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: mini-games

> How can we get a list of the mini-games?

The sub-games are off of the "Rules by hundreds" page.  They should be at
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rulegames.html .  Party chess has
its own page at .../acka/rulechess.html, and Otzma Cards at
.../acka/ruleotzma.html .

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Skid Row:I Remember You
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Nostalgia--stuffing seaweed cuttings up your nose

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:38:50 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: ackanomic digest V2 #254

> > That's not good...  Almost everything(I should mark the stuff that isn't
> > with an asterisk or something)is still on wilma.che.utexas.edu, and if
> > access to that is problematic or intermittent...  On the other hand, I'm
> > having no problems right now.  If anyone else is, let me know.  In the
> > meantime, I should maybe get a move on trying to get my own copies of this
> > stuff.

>   Oh, I see:  you have the links still as they were before - relative.  So
> a browser following them tries to access the copies at your site, and, of
> course, fails.  I must just have been the first one to try it.  :-)

No, actually, I was clever enough to put in a
<BASE HREF="http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/"> tag at the
beginning.  Maybe your browser doesn't grok that bit of HTML, but it
_should_ make that URL the source of all relative links.  If that last
phrase makes any sense.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Bob Dylan:I Want You
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Now your thoughts will connect by themselves.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:57:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

> > > In the meantime ... "How about a nice game of [acka-]chess?"
> > Better yet, care to referee a game of viruses :-) 

> Sorry guys, still reading the rules.  I'll be busy for a little while.  

> BTW, I hereby announce that I will attempt to make available a copy of the
> rules (unofficial, of course) which includes an INDEX!  This would make it
> much easier for new players to quickly locate the rules which cover certain
> topics.  It will be formatted in WordPerfect 6.1.  If anyone is interested,
> please let me know.

No offense, but--ick!  I would rather not see anything in WordPerfect 6.1.
Anything at all.  I suppose I probably have access to it, but it's
incredibly inconvenient for me, and it might be for others as well.  I'm
sure it could be done easily in HTML--take a look at the "List of rules by
categories" that exists now for something that may approximate what you're
talking about...

Of course, I'm a pro-UNIX anti-Microsoft anti-Windows radical, so my views
may not be representative.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Skid Row:I Remember You
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
Plays well with scissors

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:45:51 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Registrarness (Vynd, Niccolo Flychuck)

We've got a mixed bunch this time...

First of all, we have a new player, who would probably have joined the
same time as Balsamic Dragon except that his first choice for name,
"The Man Behind The Curtain", was unfortunately too long.  His second
choice is "Archie Leach", and it is by this name that we shall know him.
His real name it T. "Cerebus" Miller, and he wishes his email address
for the game to be [email-masked] .  (Caveat: this is not the email
address he's emailed me from, but I guess we'll see if it works...)
Vynd has been chosen as his mentor.

Secondly, we have a player who is returning, but not having an Undead is
considered a New player by the Rules.  His Ackanomic name is ILIOS, his
real name Alex Harisiadis, and his email address [email-masked], which I
believe is in Greece.  Since the Rules mandate it, I have chosen a mentor
for him: Niccolo Flychuck.

And thirdly, we have a new observer, Peter Gerdes, [email-masked].  Let's
hope he doesn't get too bored by the currently quiet state of the game...
trust us, there's usually more happening than this.

Let's give them all a warm Ackanomic welcome!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--The Cure:Fascination Street
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
The mirrors would do well to reflect further.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:55:05 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic welcome

> > I really hate to say this, but that may be a little while yet. Until
> > we get these critical offices worked out, and the dust settles some,
> > we kind of have our hands full as it is.

> Tell you what:  I served as a chief justice on another (albeit short-lived)
> nomic game.  If you need someone in a similar position, and you don't mind
> giving it to a newbie, I'm up for it.

> gunnin' for promotion,

This makes me feel nostalgic already.  Only three months ago, I was a
gung-ho new player who was itching to get his hands on some Offices so he
could help with all the work of the Game.

And look at me now, holder of probably more offices than any other player
at the moment.

So let me be the last to discourage you, Balsamic Dragon(and norpan too)!
Although you might want to start with something a bit simpler.  When you
become active(yes, I know, but it should happen _sometime_), feel free to
seek out all you want.  As President, I'll be open to letting new players
have chances at Functional Offices.  Of course, I'll also have no qualms
about having you Impeached if you don't measure up...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Skid Row:I Remember You
Current Book--John A. Williams:Mothersill And The Foxes
U is for Una who slipped down a drain, V is for Victor, squashed under a train.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #258
*******************************