Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #243
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Friday, August 8 1997        Volume 02 : Number 243

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:49:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Misc

I hereby return from vacation.

I approve of the action of accepting Vynd into Vulcan.

I support the nomination of Chaos into the Hall of Elders.

I'm at work, tonight I should get my new monitor and log on from home
and catch up on more stuff. (That is part of the reason I have been gone
longer than planned...)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 11:07:04 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: recent proposals

So, what happens to P2257 - P2275? I think that they should be counted
as REJECTED, as the rule describing proposal acceptance describes the
condition for acceptance, leaving rejection as a default. This should
not however generate score changes, since those are supposed to occur
when results are reported.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:44:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 445 (mr cwm)

mr cwm wrote:
> I'd better pass on this one.  I respectfully decline appointment.

> On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Malenkai wrote:
> >Call For Judgment 445
> >  Subject: When is a newspaper not a newspaper
> >Initiator: Voting Gnome
> >    Judge: mr cwm (selected Aug 01, 1997, 22:51h EDT)
> >Judgement:
> >
> >Statement:  
> >The publication known as "is not"  is not a newspaper.

One of the things I have found interesting in all my time in Acka is
how often the player with the biggest conflict of interest gets selected
to judge a CFJ.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 23:47:42 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  goodbye

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > > As of this message I resign from the game of Ackanomic.
> > 
> > I offer my good-byes to Chaos aka Mohammed,
> > and hereby nominate him for the Hall of Elders.
> 
> I support this, definitely.
> 
> I'll also take this opportunity to note that Malenkai is now the
> Harfmeister.
> 

 I support this as well.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:51:58 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 445 (mr cwm)

/dev/joe wrote:

> One of the things I have found interesting in all my time in Acka is
> how often the player with the biggest conflict of interest gets
> selected
> to judge a CFJ.
> 
Indeed.  I think Malenkai's dice have an overdeveloped sense or irony.

:^)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 18:09:17 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  goodbye

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BCA428.79369A80
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Bollinger, John C. [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Friday, August 08, 1997 9:35 AM
To:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	RE: Acka:  goodbye

> >I offer my good-byes to Chaos aka Mohammed,
> >and hereby nominate him for the Hall of Elders.
>=20
I support the nomination.

ThinMan
Hear, Hear, bye Chaos though it saddens to see you go, I sit here so =
contededly and watch the river flow. I nominate for the hall of elders =
Chaos and request and ode from the poet Laureate for im'
- -Karma

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BCA428.79369A80
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BCA428.79369A80--

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 18:38:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Elder Nomination

I support Chaos's nomination, making 9 + 1.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: 8 Aug 1997 17:50:42 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Vacation

Unfortunately, I no longer have even the pittance of Internet access I
did for the rest of this summer -- the library shut down its telnet
terminal, and I had to impose on someone to write this message.

But whoa, did the game do a few loops in my absence.  Lose communication
for just one week, and the Great Deluge comes, the Vulcan junta holds
several key rules hostage, and one of my best friends in the game
leaves.  I just can't keep up with this pace :)

I'm going to go on Vacation shortly -- when I return, I'll be at school
and have just about as much access as I can handle, but first, I'd like
to stand on Guy Fawkes' Soap Box and make a brief (well...) speech about
loophole surfing.

I do not consider myself an exceptionally ethical player of this game.
I probably have an overdeveloped superego in real life, but this is only
a game, and I am willing to do just about anything that is both within
the rules and nondestructive of play to have a little fun and swipe a
few Bonus Votes here, some A$ there...

Still, even I have a few standards for Loophole Surfing.  I don't claim
to be a moralist, and I don't want to condemn any actions, but I would
like to state my opinion.

1) A loophole should not be surfed if it cannot be easily fixed.

Loophole surfing should benefit Acka by pointing out its flaws.  But if
the flaw lies in its interaction with the real world rather than the
interaction of its rules, it's better not to surf it.  This begins to
leave the "this is only a game" dimension of loophole surfing.  So, if
the Rules permit the owner of Blind Thomas' Ballot to change other
players votes, I create a Trinket (value A$1) with a minimal description
and the name Blind Thomas' Ballot, and proceed to change all votes on
any of my proposals to YES.  But if I believe it legal to change other
players votes by fooling the bot into thinking I'm them, I abstain from
doing so.

2) A loophole should be surfed amusingly if possible.

Let's face it -- we play this game for fun.  Surfing, too should be fun.
So if the rules permit me to place the player of my choice in Gaol, I
Gaol the Gaoler.  If the rules permit me to create a Gadget from an
extant Blueprint in my possession, I build a BWG Laser :).  However, if
the Rules contain a mechanism by which I can legally remove another
player from the game, I abstain from doing so.  That would be
Anti-amusing.

3) (The most important one, IMO)  A loophole should not be surfed if
doing so would be destructive of the game.

This is only a game, but it is a game that many players find incredibly
fun.  A loophole surf should not destroy that fun, nor destroy parts of
the rules in such a way that they can only be fixed by self-deleting
text proposals, or worse yet crash the game.  Therefore, if the rules
contain some mechanism for me to legally Transfer A$ from the Treasury
to myself, I transfer A$5000 or so.  I do not, however, transfer the
entire contents of the Treasury to myself, since that would destroy the
Ackonomy.  And if the rules contain a legal mechanism for me to create
Bonus Votes in the possession of GF Mini-storage, Inc., I create 20.  I
do not, however, create 1000, and thereby destroy the value of a Bonus
Vote.  And if the Rules contain some mechanism by which I can legally
create a Rule 1 whose text is, "Guy Fawkes may change any part of the
game state at any time by posting a public message naming the change to
the game state," I do so, if only to say I was once dictator of Acka.
However, I do not use my newfound powers to short-circuit others fun, to
steal their entites for myself, and to generally lord it over the rest
of the population.  That is not in the spirit of Acka.

I'm going on Vaction now.  Expected Date of Return, Sept. 1.  breadbox,
please remove me from all lists.  Everyone else, please leave a game for
me to come back to.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 18:41:50 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: ree acka W files report

I'm in my tattoo parlor cleaning the rust and fake blood off the =
needles, after recently making Techno a peel off tattoo marked "Mother =
Techno" at his request. Then I hear the tiny skulls at the front of my =
shop door start clattering, " Geez' another customer already?" I thought =
to myself. I peered over my tattoo chair which resembles a dentist seat =
and see two figures at the entryway looking rather eerie amidst the the =
dimly lit parlor and the swirls of sandlewood inscence smoke 'Uh, =
Hello?" I spake half questioningly.
'Are you Karma and is this your tattoo parlor!?" a woman's voice =
inquired. 'Yeah, ya want a tattoo?!"  'How does she know my name', I =
wondered suspiciously? 'And who are these two?'
"Scold and Mould, investigators of the paranormal" the man said as if =
reading my thoughts. "We've been looking for you for quite some time =
now!"
"OH yeah you're those two agents that Snowgod was talking to, hey I =
ain't no alien man, I mean I may have wings and all but that's normal =
around here you gotta believe me1" beads of sweat were pouring down my =
forehead and I broke. "Hey man half the lies Snowgod told about me =
aren't true! It's, it's him man, he's the alien, I'm not crazy believe =
me. He has strange eyes, and he can't cook what more proof do you =
need?!"

"Relax, we're not here to lock you up, we believe you. We just want to =
ask a few questions. I mean don't you read the rules once in a while to =
know what this is all about?"
"Huh?, oh yeah of course, I read all the rules in fact..."
"Ahha!, so you know all about the abduction of rule mumble ssh pss!" =
Mould said triumphantly cutting me off in mid babble.
"No, I know nothing of the sort, you don't got nothing on me.. It's =
Chaos! He did it all! He called the aliens down he controls them just =
like the zombies, their eyes, their eyes!! They dribble in green and =
lime, he's the mastermind, all him! He abducted rule pss mumble#mumble I =
know it!
"do you want to buy a tattoo?" but it was too late by the time I looked =
up and regained my composure all I heard was a hastened rattle of skulls =
and Mould and Scold were nowhere to be found.

- - Karma

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 20:28:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Elder Nomination

At 06:38 PM 8/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I support Chaos's nomination, making 9 + 1.
>
>Malenkai

I support the nomination, making 10+1.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #243
*****************************