Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #240
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Thursday, August 7 1997       Volume 02 : Number 240

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:51:57 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: P/E discrepancy

> I had been meaning to do this for a while, but I put it off, and with 
> /dev/joe resigning as entity harfer I put it off some more, but I am 
> now noting that inky bloater decoy 137 was donated to the museum with 
> Beldin's Parka.

> #transfer two-star, museum: inky bloater decoy 137: belatedly

Yes, I did wonder about that one.  I'll make sure to note it in the
entitylog.

> I see that Alfvaen *did* catch the extra bonus vote. I wasn't going to 
> mention that one. :)

Huh?  What did I catch?  I don't remember having done anything with bonus
votes...it must have been a coincidence.  Now I'll have to check.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leon Redbone:On The Track
Current Book--Mike Resnick:Alternate Kennedys
Give us this day our daily bread in individual slices

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:57:44 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: What's Dangling

> > Now, with three of us winged players at the Library, we manage to reattach
> > it as well.  Then, as invited, I'm going over to breadbox's house to
> > apply the Gravitational Monopole to it as well.  I mean, hey, it's worked
> > every time so far, so it's guaranteed to work this time as well!  I push
> > the red button.

> The GM works.

Ah, much more compact than the Dice Server results.  :-)

Now, who was next?  I believe it was Rex Mundi's house(yes, I did see your
message...:-).  I am remove the Monopole from breadbox's house, going to
Rex Mundi's house, and attaching it there.  With growing confidence in my
proven skills as AckaPhysicist, I smile reassuringly at the crowd of
awestruck spectators and press the red button.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leon Redbone:On The Track
Current Book--Mike Resnick:Alternate Kennedys
"Hi there, my name is Legion, and I'll be your server for this evening."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:00:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka:  dangling

> With The Hollow Log dangling,  it's very difficult to get any work done
> around here.  So I finally,  with a little chagrin at the tardiness of
> this action,  slowly and carefully pick my way through the mess that is
> my house and go to room number 777 which is one of many storage closets. 
> There I pull out a very dusty Monopole,  which I had all but forgotten
> about.  Standing stooped over in the cramped closet,  I mumble a hasty
> prayer to the Golden Frog,  and add one to Odo for good measure,  hoping
> that the Monopole works as advertised.  I press the button...

Hmmm.  According to the entity records, Mr. Lunatic Fringe has a
Gravitational Monopole as well.  Anyone who's willing to take the extra
risk of having a Non-AckaPhysicist reattach eir house can ask either him or
Voting Gnome...  Hmmm, maybe I should start charging for the added security.
Nah, I'll keep it a public service for now.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leon Redbone:On The Track
Current Book--Mike Resnick:Alternate Kennedys
You speak an infinite deal of nothing.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:20:28 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: President

So, I think I counted five public votes for me...am I President now?  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Cyndi Lauper:Sisters of Avalon
Current Book--Mike Resnick:Alternate Kennedys
"We put the 'fish' in 'efficiency'."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:23:36 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: IBD 137

Apparently it was just an error in the entitylog; it was supposed to say

Jun 18 11:07 EDT: +1 theibdecoy137 Museum:two-star:1:

But instead it said

Jun 18 11:07 EDT: +1 theibdecoy137 two-star:Museum:two-star:1:

which is obviously wrong.  All fixed now.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Cyndi Lauper:Sisters of Avalon
Current Book--Mike Resnick:Alternate Kennedys
Remember, the dinosaur did not know it had a very small brain.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:30:37 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  dangling

>  Hmmm, maybe I should start charging for the added security.
>Nah, I'll keep it a public service for now.

I have a Monople?  Cool.  Well, at the rish of moving the universe
slighhtly up and to the left, and with additional precautions taken  to
avoid changing the size of the unvirse (think about it, it could happen) I
go to my house, and attach the Monople.

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing, because though I'nm not an
ackaphysicist I once play one on TV.  I pat myself on the back, smile,
wave, flap my wings and press the button.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 00:39:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ping

Hullo

Tons of stuff has been going on I see. I've briefly skimmed through
everything. In no particular order...

Despair at Mohammed's situation, come back to us soon! Sad to see /dev/joe
having to resign from so many things after doing such a top notch job of them.

I'm in favor of Voting Gnome's application to join TMBSG. I know as
so-called "founder" I've done this quite authoritatively, but that's
something we should look into. (?)

Mr LF: Webcam... yes!

cwm-NF evil twins info will be published.

/dev/joe was heard saying:
>I am hereby requesting an explanation of the terms "Aarimakat",
>"ruwopeki", "inkelika", and "dodobykiykipoombah" from the Church of
>the Markovian Dream, in accordance with section 5c of rule 1301.

Mr LF gave answers. Here are some others:
"ruwopeki" = two
"inkelika" = wonderful
"dodobykiykipoombah" = tenseless indeterminate plural form of "dobcha", to vote.

I'll be away till Sunday also - I know, I know... Robert Sevin, I'll try and
drop by sometime, I hope classes are going well. And for everyone taking
classes this summer. Ditto for those among us working.

Still not sure I'm grasping the changes in Acka
Calvin N Hobbes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 06:46:27 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE acka

Is it possible  between aug 5 and 6th ther was only about 6 email messages?
- - Karma (wondering if my subscription lists have been transferred)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 08:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RE acka

I was wondering if we'd set a new record low, myself.

- -mr cwm

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, jordan james wrote:

>Is it possible  between aug 5 and 6th ther was only about 6 email messages?
>- Karma (wondering if my subscription lists have been transferred)
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:43:13 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: *ping*

Citizens of acka, I humbly apologize for my tardiness in posting this
message.

Today is Wednesday, the 7th day of August, in the Year of Our Lord
1997, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 2 times.

Rex Mundi,
Belated Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: *ping*

> Citizens of acka, I humbly apologize for my tardiness in posting this
> message.
> 
> Today is Wednesday, the 7th day of August, in the Year of Our Lord
> 1997, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
> have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 2 times.

Wednesday was the 6th; today is the 7th. I presume you meant to say
Wednesday the 6th, since the Machine cannot go *ping* less than once
every seven days.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: *ping*

>> Citizens of acka, I humbly apologize for my tardiness in posting this
>> message.
>> 
>> Today is Wednesday, the 7th day of August, in the Year of Our Lord
>> 1997, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
>> have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 2 times.
> 
> Wednesday was the 6th; today is the 7th. I presume you meant to say
> Wednesday the 6th, since the Machine cannot go *ping* less than once
> every seven days.

Oh, and this should be posted to acka-games.

breadbox
unintentionally WB with G

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: vacation

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

By this message I go on a vacation with an expected duration of 4 days,
but I wouldn't be surprised if it ran as much as a week.  Have fun, and
don't ... well, don't do anything *worse* than R411.1 :) 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:35:44 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: *ping*

Hmm. Apologies again for my tardiness: it seems there was a typo in this
the first time...

Today is Wednesday, the 6th day of August, in the Year of Our Lord
1997, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 2 times.

Rex Mundi,
Belated Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:46:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hrmph.

Apparently this is what acka is like with no proposals or officers.  I
must say it's a great deal simpler this way, basicaly just ahve to sit
around and wait to see if Phoebe shows up or something.  Let it be known
that if we have not heard from Chaos by the begining of the week, I may
try my hand at writing a Senate Proposal of my own that would directly
install a new promoter and tabulator, so sound off if you really honestly
want the job.  While I'm on the subject, what do people think of officialy
merging the promoter and tabulator offices?

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 20:58:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hrmph.

> While I'm on the subject, what do people think of officialy
> merging the promoter and tabulator offices?

I think its a bad idea.  If people want to be both or only one,
they can under this system, yet cannot under a merged system, you are
forced to do both (we went for a while with them split).  Likewise,
merging undead harfer and financier, etc, is a bad idea for the same 
reason (I unmerged them because I didn't have the time to do both at 
the time).

Taking it to the limit, why not merge all the work offices into one?
That is the way the initial ruleset comes.  The same logic applies.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:31:49 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Hrmph.

> Apparently this is what acka is like with no proposals or officers.  I
> must say it's a great deal simpler this way, basicaly just ahve to sit
> around and wait to see if Phoebe shows up or something.  Let it be known
> that if we have not heard from Chaos by the begining of the week, I may
> try my hand at writing a Senate Proposal of my own that would directly
> install a new promoter and tabulator, so sound off if you really honestly
> want the job.

As a possible President, I'm curious as to a)who I should select as Acting
Officers for Promoter and Tabulator(and Map-Harfer, for that matter),
and b)who I should select for a more permanent setup.  Anyone who is
interested and wants to email me with their qualifications, feel free
to do so.  :-)  I'll forward it all to Malenkai in case I lost.

> While I'm on the subject, what do people think of officialy
> merging the promoter and tabulator offices?

If Acrobot were guaranteed to always be available, it might be a
possibility.  But I do agree with Malenkai that making the work separable,
at least in theory, helps if we ever want to separate it.  (_Have_ the two
officers ever been two different people?  If so, how long ago was that?)
If they are considered as a sort of single office, together they are better
paid than the Speaker...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Frankie Goes To Hollywood:Welcome To The Pleasure Dome
Current Book--Mike Resnick:Alternate Kennedys
Did you notice the world is remade with every blink?  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 21:53:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hrmph.

> (_Have_ the two officers ever been two different people?  If so, how
> long ago was that?) If they are considered as a sort of single office,
> together they are better paid than the Speaker...:-)

As I said in the last post, they have.  It was last fall or winter.  Also,
as you may know, I think the salary thing for offices is a joke, I mean,
its not real money, its a pittance, and its more work to harf than the
fun it provides (at least with other complex things, we can ignore them
and no one seems to mind (eg Synod), but not the salaries).  Only points
(and A$s are points) achieved via a scam or skillful play should be worth
anything, IMHO.  I certainly have never known an officer to do the job for
the salary, and I would just can salaries altogether if I had my way -- of
course, I'd can points, A$s, and processing chips altogether ... :-)

But, what I mean to say, the tabulator and promoter do more work than
the speaker, so if we are gonna simulate real life with salaries, it
is consistent in this case.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #240
*****************************