Subject: ackanomic digest V2 #233
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Monday, August 4 1997        Volume 02 : Number 233

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:18:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: President

The volunteers for prez are:

Alfvaen
Malenkai

Vote early and often :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:19:41 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: If you can't beat 'em

Vynd wrote:

> I am requesting membership in the organization, ahem, MIGHTY organization,
> known as Vulcan.

I support this action.

Malenkai
Vulcan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:24:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 447 (DPR)

Dread Pirate Roberts has been chosen.  (Is e active? -- according
to Alfvaen's scorekeeper page, e is)

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 447
  Subject: Actions
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Dread Pirate Roberts (selected Aug 04, 1997, 00:27h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The actions attempted by Guy Fawkes on July 31st by a message to
[email-masked](including a transfer of money to GF Mini-storage
and GF Mini-storage's purchase of a Secret Laboratory)did not succeed.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

I'm still not quite convinced, but breadbox's reasoning for this
(paraphrased, and possibly misconstrued...he may append Bronze Torch
reasoning for himself if he thinks I've missed something important...:-)
is that the Postal Code amendments to add [email-masked] to the
list of public forums had not yet taken effect when Guy Fawkes sent his
message, and that because email was boucing to Chaos(a non-vacationing
player), messages posted there could not be considered to be public
messages.

/dev/joe's announcement of the Postal Code change was at 14:01 Ackatime,
July 29th; Guy Fawkes' attempted actions were performed at 14:44 Ackatime
July 31st, just under one day before the Postal Code changes would have
taken effect.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:25:03 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

> Well, with an hour and a half left to go, and only two priests heard
> from, and two more on vacation, it looks like the rains are going to come
> in full force this month. 

I guess this happens.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:27:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 447 (DPR)

> Call For Judgment 447

This should be CFJ 446.  Please update your records accordingly.

Malenkai
Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:02:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

> > Have we ever cleared up the issue of whether one can reattach an
> > Undead's house?  I think that it should be possible, and if game
> > custom dictates that it is not, well, there's another proposal
> > idea...
> 
> The CFJ that addressed this determined that even the rules did not
> have the authority to cause an Undead's house to dangle in the first
> place. The rules have since changed to make this explicit:

So what we have is a circumstance in which Undead's houses can begin to
dangle, but they cannot be reattached.  I don't know if this sounds
reasonable to me or not...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Indigo Girls:Closer To Fine
Current Book--Dan Simmons:The Fall of Hyperion
Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:07:02 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: President

> The volunteers for prez are:
> 
> Alfvaen
> Malenkai

If I am elected President, I pledge to devote my utmost effort to filling
the Functional Offices, and determining that they are filled by those most
able to perform the required duties.  The current state of confusion should
be rectified as soon as possible.  The departure of Chaos and the
resignations of /dev/joe, two of the former leading office-holders of
Ackanomic, has caused some trouble, but I promise that I will resolve such
issues quickly.

I also pledge to use my Presidental powers, such as they are, in the aid of
the Rebellion and against the Vulcan Party, which has(I believe)taken a
highly undemocractic degree of power unto itself.  A vote for me is thus a
vote for democracy!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Indigo Girls:Closer To Fine
Current Book--Dan Simmons:The Fall of Hyperion
Plays well with others

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:10:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 447 (DPR)

> Dread Pirate Roberts has been chosen.  (Is e active? -- according
> to Alfvaen's scorekeeper page, e is)

Yes, because that was why he got the goose when mr cwm paid to send it to
the active player with the lowest score.  I believe it occurred when he
voted on P2214.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Indigo Girls:Land of Canaan
Current Book--Dan Simmons:The Fall of Hyperion
This tagline refers to every tagline that does not refer to itself.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:13:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

> > Well, with an hour and a half left to go, and only two priests heard
> > from, and two more on vacation, it looks like the rains are going to come
> > in full force this month. 

> I guess this happens.

<sigh>  Well, I might as well start the conquest on friendly ground, as
they say.

I am going to Tamson House, winging my way up the tether, and attaching the
Gravitational Monopole to the house.  Since I am the AckaPhysicist, this
will certainly work--it has before the other times I tried, didn't it?  I
am pushing the red button.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Indigo Girls:Land of Canaan
Current Book--Dan Simmons:The Fall of Hyperion
Your email has been returned due to insufficient voltage.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:27:24 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

>> Well, with an hour and a half left to go, and only two priests heard
>> from, and two more on vacation, it looks like the rains are going to come
>> in full force this month.
>
>I guess this happens.
>
>Malenkai

I apologize o everyone who's house I disconnect by not praying.  I was
abducted by aliens this weekend, and have been away from my computer for at
least three days.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
okay, maybe I was just helping my friends move.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:29:32 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

>I also pledge to use my Presidental powers, such as they are, in the aid of
>the Rebellion and against the Vulcan Party, which has(I believe)taken a
>highly undemocractic degree of power unto itself.  A vote for me is thus a
>vote for democracy!
>
>
>--

It's a tough choice, two players both so skilled at keeping track of the
things I can't keep track of, both wanting to be the president I have been
trhee times :).  I'm going to have to vote for

ALFVAEN

Though, because of The Rebellion.  A man of princible, thats what Alfie is.

Mr. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 00:53:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

> I apologize o everyone who's house I disconnect by not praying.  I was
> abducted by aliens this weekend, and have been away from my computer for at
> least three days.

Well, with five non-vacationing non-praying priests...it wasn't _just_ your
fault.

But, by gum, we won't see those locusts for a while!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Indigo Girls:Land of Canaan
Current Book--Dan Simmons:The Fall of Hyperion
Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer a friend.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 02:49:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

>> The CFJ that addressed this determined that even the rules did not
>> have the authority to cause an Undead's house to dangle in the first
>> place. The rules have since changed to make this explicit:
> 
> So what we have is a circumstance in which Undead's houses can begin
> to dangle, but they cannot be reattached.  I don't know if this
> sounds reasonable to me or not...

No: The houses of Undead cannot begin to dangle. The rules do not
allow the belongings of Undead to change state except by "actions of
the Undead". Their houses are therefore safe.

Everyone else, however, is in trouble.

I propose that I, Alfvaen, and Mr Lunatic Fringe start reattaching
the public buildings as well. I'd rather not use the Gravitational
Monopole on those; they're a little too important.

If Alfvaen and Mr Lunatic Fringe are willing, let's start with the
Library.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:18:37 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Some entities

I am hereby destroying my Gold Ingot and ThinMan's MoneyBag for cash.

#award ThinMan: -1 Gold Ingot: Melted down
#award ThinMan: -1 ThinMan's Moneybag: cashed in
#award ThinMan: +900 A$: Rolling in Dough

I am hereby creating some trinkets:

I am creating a trinket named Giant Peach, value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 404.
The Giant Peach is approximately 30 feet across, orange, and very
fuzzy.  It was once fitted with a baloon, but that has since been cut
away for reasons that are unclear.  It comes with an assortment of
giant bugs.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: Giant Peach: Hmmm.

I am creating a trinket named Buzz Lightyear, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1131.
Buzz Lightyear is about the coolest action figure ever.  It talks
("I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace."); it has a flip-up wrist
communicator, a built-in wrist laser, and way cool karate-chop action;
and best of all -- it has high-pressure space wings!  [Not a flying
toy.]

#trinket ThinMan: 100: Buzz Lightyear: Hmmm.

I am creating a trinket named Guido, value 100.  Its description is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 404.
Guido is a non-descript dark-haired man wearing a classy suit.  Don't
mess with him, though, or he may break your kneecaps.

#Trinket ThinMan: 100: Guido: Hmmm.

I am creating a trinket named Melvin's Map, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 414.
It is a map, of the kind that might be used in conjunction with a
role-playing game.  At the top left corner is a small arrow and the
words "Up north where Melvin is standing now."

#trinket ThinMan: 100: Melvin's Map: Hmmm.

I am creating a trinket named Periodic Table, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 607.
It is a laminated two foot by three foot table describing the chemical
elements.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: Periodic Table: Hmmm.

I am creating a trinket named Today's Lunch, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 404.
Today's lunch is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich an apple, and a
baggie full of wheat thins (tm).  It looks a lot like yesterday's
lunch, but is, in fact, slightly different.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: Today's Lunch: Hmmm.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:15:46 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: More entities

I guess I just haven't used up my urge to swap A$ around.  I am
creating a few more trinkets:

I hereby create a trinket named The Celestial Temple, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 406.
The Celestial Temple is looks a whole lot like a wormhole, which is
to say that most of the time you can't see it.  Rumor has it that the
Celestial Temple is somehow related to the Church of Odo on the
Wormhole, but that has yet to be established.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: The Celestial Temple: Hmmm.

I hereby create a trinket named The Grand Proxy, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 404.
The Grand Proxy is a small humanoid figure with enormous ears.  It is
bald and dressed in ornate robes, and carries a gnarled wooden staff
with a large golden knob -- shaped much like the Proxy's own head --
on one end.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: The Grand Proxy: Hmmm.

I hereby create a trinket named Flash Gordon, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1131.
Flash Gordon is our hero.  He's saved every one of us!  He defeated
the evil emperor Ming, thereby preventing him from blowing up the
Earth.  Whenever Flash is doing something heroic these days, strains of
Queen music seem to play in the background -- although this wasn't
always the case.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: Flash Gordon: Hmmm.

I hereby create a trinket named A Bottle of IBC, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1326.
A Bottle of IBC is a thirst-quenching beverage beyond compare, at
least for humans.  It is said to be extremely distasteful to Ferrengi,
although the evidence is contradictory.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: A Bottle of IBC: Hmmm.

I hereby create a trinket named The Cosmos, value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 404.
The Cosmos is big.  Really big.  In fact, it is so fantastically
enormous that you couldn't begin to grasp its size if you spent your
whole lifetime working at it, so don't even bother.  It's not really
that interesting anyway.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: The Cosmos: Hmmm.

I hereby create a trinket named There can be Only One!, value 100.  Its
description is:

This trinket is Majik.  It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 104.
There can be Only One! is an rather an abstract trinket.  An idea,
really.  A concept, if you will.  It does, nevertheless, have an
unfortunate tendency to get people's heads cut off.

#trinket ThinMan: 100: There can be Only One!: Hmmm.

Well, I think does it for now.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:59:08 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

> > So what we have is a circumstance in which Undead's houses can begin
> > to dangle, but they cannot be reattached.  I don't know if this
> > sounds reasonable to me or not...

> No: The houses of Undead cannot begin to dangle. The rules do not
> allow the belongings of Undead to change state except by "actions of
> the Undead". Their houses are therefore safe.

Oh, okay.  I thought that what was being said was the opposite, that
somehow the new amendment to the Rule made it so that undead houses could
still be made to dangle but couldn't be reattached.  That's must better,
then.

> Everyone else, however, is in trouble.

Somewhat.  We should be okay unless a Tornado comes along...

> I propose that I, Alfvaen, and Mr Lunatic Fringe start reattaching
> the public buildings as well. I'd rather not use the Gravitational
> Monopole on those; they're a little too important.

And the rate of failure is somewhat increased, too.  Still, what would
happen if the Hall of Elders(say) were to become unattached?  I don't know
if it would have any effect on the Rules, unless we wanted the Web-Harfer
to make it so that non-winged players couldn't access that web page any
longer.  :-)

> If Alfvaen and Mr Lunatic Fringe are willing, let's start with the
> Library.

Ah, the Library!  The treasured home of books and books and books!  Kinda
reminds me of my apartment, except that the books are probably arranged a
bit more neatly, rather than jammed on shelves in double rows, the overflow
sitting on top, and all the oversized books still in boxes.  Sure, why not,
let's do the Library.  I'm not sure what happened with my house yet, but I
don't think I need to wait around for the Monopole's effects first...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pink Floyd:Relics
Current Book--Dan Simmons:The Fall of Hyperion
W is for Winnie, embedded in ice, X is for Xerxes, devoured by mice.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:54:12 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Salaries

Here are the salaries for this month; in entitylog format rather than Bot
format, since that's easier for me.  :-)

Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +35 A$ Malenkai: salary - speaker 35
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Chaos: salary - promoter 25
#Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ nobody: salary - web-harfer 25 (vacant)
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Chaos: salary - tabulator 25
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Malenkai: salary - count tabula 25
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Mr. Lunatic Fringe: salary - registrar 25
#Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ nobody: salary - scorekeeper 25 (Acting only)
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Chaos: salary - financier 25
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Malenkai: salary - clerk of the court 25
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Vynd: salary - CSRR 25
#Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ nobody: salary - postmaster 25 (vacant)
#Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ nobody: salary - map-harfer 25 (vacant)
#Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ nobody: salary - undead-harfer 25 (vacant)
#Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ nobody: salary - bond-harfer 25 (acting only)
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Malenkai: salary - trinket-harfer 25
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +1 autosculp Malenkai: salary - treasure-harfer 25
Aug 04 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Niccolo Flychuck: salary - chess-umpire 25

And no, if you change your name to "nobody" you don't get all the unclaimed
salaries.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Who:Who's Next
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Shards of Honour
I _tried_ to read it, but my cereal box was too gripping.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:36:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Bond Dividends For August 4th, 1997

This is my first cycle as (Acting)Bond-Harfer; however, I'm using
/dev/joe's Python program still(haven't gotten around to rewriting it in
Perl), so unless there's an error in the actual scoring, these should be
accurate.  :-)

Still pretty quiet, what with the Acrobot being down and all.

Score changes used for bond cycle calculation:
- ----------------------------------------------
Ace Rimmer: 0
Alfvaen: 4
Antimatter: -10
Atilla the Pun: 0
AZTEC GOD: 0
Ben: 0
breadbox: 18
Calvin N Hobbes: 0
CarsesraC: 0
Chaos: 3
Darth Vader: 0
Dread Pirate Roberts: 0
/dev/joe: 20
fnord: -3
Guy Fawkes: 18
Karma: 3
Malenkai: 23
mr cwm: 12
Mr. Lunatic Fringe: -20
Niccolo Flychuck: 37
Red Barn: 0
Rex Mundi: 12
Robert Sevin: 0
Techno: 8
ThinMan: -10
two-star: 6
Voting Gnome: -28
Vynd: 9
 
Bond Dividends
- --------------
Ace Rimmer: 0.0  -->  100*0
Alfvaen: 4.56  -->  69*4 + 10*18
Antimatter: -4.75  -->  95*-10/2
Atilla the Pun: 0.0  -->  100*0
AZTEC GOD: 0.0  -->  100*0
Ben: 0.0  -->  100*0
breadbox: 14.76  -->  82*18
Calvin N Hobbes: 0.0  -->  100*0
CarsesraC: 0.0  -->  100*0
Chaos: 10.425  -->  11*4 + 87*3 + 2*20 + 5*-3/2 + 2*23 + 5*12 + 3*-20/2 + 17*37
Darth Vader: 0.0  -->  100*0
Dread Pirate Roberts: 0.0  -->  100*0
/dev/joe: 12.86  -->  90*20 + 2*23 + 15*8 + 10*-10/2 + 45*-28/2
fnord: -0.735  -->  1*18 + 2*20 + 93*-3/2 + 1*12 + 1*-20/2 + 1*0 + 1*6
Guy Fawkes: 13.5  -->  75*18
Karma: 3.0  -->  100*3
Malenkai: 18.17  -->  79*23
mr cwm: 11.725  -->  2*18 + 5*3 + 1*-3/2 + 94*12 + 5*0 + 1*-10/2
Mr. Lunatic Fringe: 0.09  -->  5*3 + 1*23 + 54*-20/2 + 3*37 + 50*8
Niccolo Flychuck: 21.71  -->  5*4 + 5*18 + 2*3 + 5*20 + 5*23 + 5*-20/2 + 50*37 + 5*0 + 5*0 + 5*8
Red Barn: 0.0  -->  90*0
Robert Sevin: -0.605  -->  1*-3/2 + 1*23 + 10*-20/2 + 85*0 + 2*9
Techno: 6.8  -->  25*-20/2 + 30*37 + 30*8 + 30*-28/2
ThinMan: -1.95  -->  5*4 + 10*23 + 89*-10/2
two-star: 5.22  -->  5*-10/2 + 1*3 + 1*20 + 99*6 + 5*-28/2
Voting Gnome: -2.8  -->  20*-28/2
Vynd: 8.82  -->  98*9
Ackers: 0.0  -->  4*0
Narf: 0.0  -->  5*0
Markovian Dream: 4.5  -->  25*18
Odo on the Wormhole: 0.4  -->  10*4
RexBank: 12.0  -->  100*12
Treasure 107: -0.2  -->  2*-20/2

#award Alfvaen: 5 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Antimatter: -5 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award breadbox: 15 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Chaos: 11 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award /dev/joe: 13 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award fnord: -1 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Guy Fawkes: 14 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Karma: 3 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Malenkai: 19 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award mr cwm: 12 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Mr. Lunatic Fringe: 1 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Niccolo Flychuck: 22 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Robert Sevin: -1 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Techno: 7 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award ThinMan: -2 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award two-star: 6 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Voting Gnome: -3 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Vynd: 9 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Markovian Dream: 5 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award Odo on the Wormhole: 1 A$ : dividend Aug 4
#award RexBank: 12 A$ : dividend Aug 4

These will be reflected on the PE page Real Soon Now, along with officer
salaries(which should be a bit less than usual because of the paucity of
officers at the moment).

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Who:Who's Next
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Shards of Honour
'She's a three-handed woman--right-handed, left-handed, and underhanded.'

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:15:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: More entities

I can understand 404, but 414? 406?  104, for Azpiazu's sake?  You'd really
go so far as to threaten the lawful succession of the Office of The
President, and the distribution of Proposals?  A week ago, it wouldn't
have made any difference anyway, but today, when we're on the verge of
finally cleaning up the mess we've been in(I leave aside, for the moment,
the heinous Rule 411.1), these are malicious acts.

I declare these Majik creations to be reprehensible acts in the eyes of The
Rebellion, and demand that, at the very least, There Can Be Only One!, The
Celestial Temple, and Melvin's Map be destroyed or de-Majiked.

I would also like to note, on a more personal level, that this whole SR
business has me on the verge of leaving Ackanomic for greener pastures.
Should it ever become clear to me that The Rebellion's chances have
disappeared, I'm out of here.  And I don't particularly care what kind of
mess I leave behind doing so.  Fair warning.  I find this whole business
about as much "fun" as the abduction of Rule 106.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Squeeze:In Today's Room
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Shards of Honour
At the School of Hard Knocks, I'm the class clown

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More entities

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Alfvaen wrote:

[snip]
>I find this whole business
>about as much "fun" as the abduction of Rule 106.

I was pretty annoyed at first, too, but now I consider it more of a
challenge (more interesting, because the stakes are higher, than a
treasure hunt).  Can we find some way to undo this that they haven't
thought of and pretected themselves from?  If I'm convinced we can't, I
suggest a proposal to repeal R411.1 and declare them "winners by annoying
scam" or some such thing that will get recorded for posterity.  But I'm
not convinced yet.

But then, I found the abduction of R106 quite entertaining :)

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:26:18 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: More entities

Alfvaen wrote:

> I can understand 404, but 414? 406?  104, for Azpiazu's sake?  You'd
> really
> go so far as to threaten the lawful succession of the Office of The
> President, and the distribution of Proposals?  A week ago, it wouldn't
> have made any difference anyway, but today, when we're on the verge of
> finally cleaning up the mess we've been in(I leave aside, for the
> moment,
> the heinous Rule 411.1), these are malicious acts.
> 
I would go so far as to attempt to temporarilly disrupt the proposal
queue until our position is either consolidated or erased.  That is the
entire purpose of the particular Majiks about which you protested.
There is no malice whatsoever, nor, indeed, any intention to do more
than introduce some interference with the tools that are being brought
to bear against us.

> I declare these Majik creations to be reprehensible acts in the eyes
> of The
> Rebellion, and demand that, at the very least, There Can Be Only One!,
> The
> Celestial Temple, and Melvin's Map be destroyed or de-Majiked.
> 
Destroy the Death Star, and I shall destroy There can be Only One!,
The Celestial Temple, and Melvin's Map.

[Additional comments sent privately.]

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:03:53 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: RE: Acka: More entities

>Alfvaen wrote:

>> I can understand 404, but 414? 406?  104, for Azpiazu's sake?  You'd
>> really
>> go so far as to threaten the lawful succession of the Office of The
>> President, and the distribution of Proposals?  A week ago, it wouldn't
>> have made any difference anyway, but today, when we're on the verge of
>> finally cleaning up the mess we've been in(I leave aside, for the
>> moment,
>> the heinous Rule 411.1), these are malicious acts.
 
>I would go so far as to attempt to temporarilly disrupt the proposal
>queue until our position is either consolidated or erased.  That is the
>entire purpose of the particular Majiks about which you protested.
>There is no malice whatsoever, nor, indeed, any intention to do more
>than introduce some interference with the tools that are being brought
>to bear against us.

And we have so many tools to bring against you, and you so few to bring
against us.

I do not consider the hindrance of the only legitimate techniques that
will allow the current chaos of Officers to be resolved to be worth
maintaining your fragile claim to power.  Why not just Resolve that
you become Promoter and Tabulator, and Malenkai President?  Why not just
Resolve that the Game of Ackanomic is over and the Vulcan Triumvirate
are the joint winners?

>> I declare these Majik creations to be reprehensible acts in the eyes
>> of The
>> Rebellion, and demand that, at the very least, There Can Be Only One!,
>> The
>> Celestial Temple, and Melvin's Map be destroyed or de-Majiked.
>> 
>Destroy the Death Star, and I shall destroy There can be Only One!,
>The Celestial Temple, and Melvin's Map.

I will not destroy one of the few avenues of hope open to me.  You could
just as easily do any of the things those Majiks threaten with a quick
Senate Resolution or two.  I have no such recourse.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Album--REM:Reckoning
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Shards of Honour
A subtle dragon stings us in the midst of plenty.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:51:45 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: More entities

> I do not consider the hindrance of the only legitimate techniques that
> will allow the current chaos of Officers to be resolved to be worth
> maintaining your fragile claim to power.  Why not just Resolve that
> you become Promoter and Tabulator, and Malenkai President?  Why not
> just
> Resolve that the Game of Ackanomic is over and the Vulcan Triumvirate
> are the joint winners?
> 
And just what, exactly, is so imperative about resolving the current
chaos of Officers?  Am I missing something here?  Malenkai is the most
likely person to get stuck with extra work.  I am not equipped to
be Promoter or Tabulator, nor will I force those posts on anyone who
doesn't want them.  Indeed, as I alluded to before, I would not be too
upset if no new proposals were distributed for a week or so right
now.  For that reason, too, I have absolutely no desire to _appoint_
Malenkai or anyone President.  Not to mention the fact that it is no
fun to get an elective office by appointment.

> >Destroy the Death Star, and I shall destroy There can be Only One!,
> >The Celestial Temple, and Melvin's Map.
> 
> I will not destroy one of the few avenues of hope open to me.  You
> could
> just as easily do any of the things those Majiks threaten with a quick
> Senate Resolution or two.  I have no such recourse.
> 
So what does it mean that we _haven't_ done those things by resolution?
I don't see that any of those Majiks will have any kind of
catastrophic effect if selected.  Not that they are likely to be
selected in the first place.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:53:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: President

>It's a tough choice, two players both so skilled at keeping track of the
>things I can't keep track of, both wanting to be the president I have been
>trhee times :).  I'm going to have to vote for
>
>ALFVAEN

I concur. It is a difficult decision, but my vote is for Alfvaen for President.

RObert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:54:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

>Well, with an hour and a half left to go, and only two priests heard
>from, and two more on vacation, it looks like the rains are going to come
>in full force this month.  Mr. Lunatic Fringe and Niccolo Flychuck usually
>start posting later, so odds are they're not going to make it; Chaos is too
>beleaguered in RL; and those three are enough to flood us, even if Guy
>Fawkes and Robert Sevin make it.  (Not that I'm encouraging you two to
>slack off or anything...)

I think we could use a little rain.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: I Have No Mouth And I Must Vote

So without a Tabulator or an Acting Tabulator, what happens? Are we in
danger of a quorum failure?

General notice: I am currently looking into the possibility of taking
on the twin jobs of Tabulator and Promoter. I think I have the
necessary resources to fill this position. However, I'm afraid that I
don't have the time to both set up a bot and do the job by hand in the
meantime, so regretfully I am not offering to volunteer for the
position at this time. BUT: if some hardy soul is willing to take on
the job now, I will do everything I can to make it as temporary a
position as possible.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:10:17 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: I Have No Mouth And I Must Vote

>So without a Tabulator or an Acting Tabulator, what happens? Are we in
>danger of a quorum failure?

Chaos is still Tabulator.  He hasn't resigned or left the game yet.
He's just violating the Speed rule a bit.  :-)

>General notice: I am currently looking into the possibility of taking
>on the twin jobs of Tabulator and Promoter. I think I have the
>necessary resources to fill this position. However, I'm afraid that I
>don't have the time to both set up a bot and do the job by hand in the
>meantime, so regretfully I am not offering to volunteer for the
>position at this time. BUT: if some hardy soul is willing to take on
>the job now, I will do everything I can to make it as temporary a
>position as possible.

If you're willing to set up Acrobot and be permanent Promoter, then I
can certainly take up the slack by hand in the meantime, unless someone
else would rather.  If I become President, that is the way I shall do
it.  Basically, if I can't find someone willing to take over an Office
either in an Acting or permanent capacity, I'll do it myself until there
is.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Album--REM:Reckoning
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Shards of Honour
Who needs drugs? I go broke buying Science Fiction!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:44:12 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: RE: Acka: More entities

>And just what, exactly, is so imperative about resolving the current
>chaos of Officers?  Am I missing something here?  Malenkai is the most
>likely person to get stuck with extra work.  I am not equipped to
>be Promoter or Tabulator, nor will I force those posts on anyone who
>doesn't want them.  Indeed, as I alluded to before, I would not be too
>upset if no new proposals were distributed for a week or so right
>now.  For that reason, too, I have absolutely no desire to _appoint_
>Malenkai or anyone President.  Not to mention the fact that it is no
>fun to get an elective office by appointment.

I am actually the most likely to get stuck with extra work, at this
point, since I'm the most willing to do it, and I'm not about to give
more power into the hands of the Evil Tyrannical Ruling Elite if I
can help it.

Perhaps a Holiday or Proposal Moratorium might be in order...except that
I'm afraid of the use you might make of it.

>So what does it mean that we _haven't_ done those things by resolution?
>I don't see that any of those Majiks will have any kind of
>catastrophic effect if selected.  Not that they are likely to be
>selected in the first place.

With Rule 5001, the odds of the Aliens hitting an existing Rule are
extremely low.  I think it's been at _least_ three weeks since they
did hit one, so that clause of Rule 511 is likely to come into play.
I believe there's 13 Majiks with Rule numbers, so there's a 1/13 chance
the President Rule will go away, 1/13 the Promoter, 1/13 Proposals,
and 5/13 Impeachment.  Compared to 1/13 that the Senate(probably not
even Senate Resolutions)will be abducted.

I'd rather not let the infrastructure of Ackanomic suffer because of
a little civil conflict...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Album--Paul McCartney:Give My Regards To Broad Street
Current Book--Lois McMaster Bujold:Shards of Honour
It might, it might rain money.  It might, it might rain love.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I Have No Mouth And I Must Vote

>> So without a Tabulator or an Acting Tabulator, what happens? Are we in
>> danger of a quorum failure?
> 
> Chaos is still Tabulator.  He hasn't resigned or left the game yet.
> He's just violating the Speed rule a bit.  :-)

Hm. I was under the impression that he was officially gone, but I
guess not. So we can at least vote and avoid getting hit with a bunch
of mandatory vacations, even if no one in charge ever sees them....

Perhaps we should send our votes to the public forum, for the time
being, so that whoever winds up being appointed to the Tabulator
position can actually tabulate the votes for the extant proposals. As
long as nobody submits any new proposals, maybe the mess can be
eventually untangled.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deluge

I hereby invite Alfvaen to enter my home, so that he may attempt to
reattach it with the Gravitational Monopole.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 22:00:27 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I Have No Mouth And I Must Vote

> Perhaps we should send our votes to the public forum, for the time
> being, so that whoever winds up being appointed to the Tabulator
> position can actually tabulate the votes for the extant proposals.

Chaos said he would send the entire voting state to me at the time
he left, to be distributed to whomever eventually got it.  I expected
that this would have happened by now.  Perhaps he has reconsidered
leaving :)

In any case, unless *everyone* votes publically, and it is publically
knowable that everyone voted publically, I do not see how public voting
can be useful; it will never be determinable with finality unless,
as I said, the unlikely conditions at the start of this paragraph are
true. 

Speaking of public voting, if you are responding to a nomination or
election, and do so publically, it is not necessary to *also* cc: me
on the post; the rules do not require this for the action to occur,
and it has the net effect of just sending me more mail to gunk up the
process a bit :-)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 22:06:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rule 257

CarsesraC failed to respond to a rule 257 message and is thus
placed on vacation.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 19:17:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I Have No Mouth And I Must Vote

> Chaos said he would send the entire voting state to me at the time
> he left, to be distributed to whomever eventually got it.  I
> expected that this would have happened by now.  Perhaps he has
> reconsidered leaving :)
> 
> In any case, unless *everyone* votes publically, and it is
> publically knowable that everyone voted publically, I do not see how
> public voting can be useful; it will never be determinable with
> finality unless, as I said, the unlikely conditions at the start of
> this paragraph are true.

True. I guess I just mention it because it's something we have some
ability to make happen--unlike Chaos (who hasn't responded to my
requests for a copy of the bot code).

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 22:45:20 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: non-prime entities

I am hereby creating some trinkets, all in good fun :-).  I would wait
a day or so before harfing them, as I most likely will destroy them 
within 48 hours:

- --
I am creating a trinket named "RtdatGS 1", value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 509.
Amusing idea, but destined for the dustbin of unuse, I fear.
- --

- --
I am creating a trinket named "RtdatGS 2", value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 714.
It won't be a major crisis if we do without this rule for a week.
- --

- --
I am creating a trinket named "RtdatGS 3", value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 935.
Do we really need *3* currencies/scorelike entities?  Prolly live without
this for a week.
- --

- --
I am creating a trinket named "RtdatGS 4", value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1123.
Even when this is used, it isn't used.
- --

- --
I am creating a trinket named "RtdatGS 5", value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1303.
I must have misunderstood something in the debate to repeal this rule ;-)
IAC, I believe one, mabye 2 fortnights have passed already; a another
week can pass with no harm then...
- --

- --
I am creating a trinket named "RtdatGS 6", value 100.  Its description
is:

This trinket is Majik. It is sapphire bullet of pure love number 1319.
We prolly should keep it for the scam potential ... but I don't see a
scam this week.
- --

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V2 #233
*****************************