Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #224
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, July 31 1997        Volume 02 : Number 224

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:35:14 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 437 Verdict - Appeal

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Game Custom is established by the CFJ statement (provided it is judged
> > true), not by reasoning.
> 
> *Explicit* game custom is established by the statement of a CFJ.  It
> is *implicit* game custom that self-similarity of organizations is 
???

> undefined.  I cannot see what I am doing here that is offensive.  You

How about representing my posts as offensive instead of replying to the
point?

> also dodged this question which was clearly stated in my last post:
> 
> > Are you saying that TMBSG's similarity with itself is undefined, yet
> > all all other organization's self-similarity is defined?
> 
I'm not saying anything. The CFJ did.

Niccolo Flychuck
> Malenkai
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:43:59 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : IP vote

I am voting for the IPs against ThinMan and Vynd.

I would also like to take this opportunity to praise Rober Sevin's
actions. Robert Sevin, who is incidentally a Priest of the Church of Odo
on the Wormhole, has shown reposnsibility and dedication to eir public
Office.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:44:39 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fair's fair (IP vote)

I am voting against this IP.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Bollinger, John C. wrote:

> I am calling an IP against Senator Robert Sevin.
> 
> ThinMan
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:57:04 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PCI

The only other reasonable I see is ammending it so the Ambassador tracks
it. Actually, that would make a lot of sense.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> It appears to be the Speaker's duty to track the membership of
> the PCI (oh joy ;-)).  Please let me know if the current membership
> is other than:
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe
> Niccolo Flychuck
> Voting Gnome
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:22:11 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Public Apology 

"A public apology upon the occasion of committing the crime of malpractice,
in ninety-two or more lines (abriged edition)

"Ahem.

"When a player commits a grevious crime such as the one I have obviously
committed, and is as remourseful about the act as I obviously am, it is
time for that player to sit back and ask himself 'What would I do if I was
me?'

"The answer to that question is blazingly obvious.  I'd write a 92,000 line
public apology to all of ackanomic begging their forgiveness.  I went so
far as to suggest this option to the courst, but sadly, the notion was
rejected.

"So instead, I will tell you a little story, one that relates to the
quandry in which I find myself.

"It's a story about a little lamb.

"This little lamb was named Hughie, and he was a fine source of wool
sweaters.  Some said his wool produced the finest sweaters on the bottom
side of the earth. Now, I am not one to argue with that claim --I mean,
what do I know about wool?-- but I thought I saw a finer wool once in St.
Andrews.

"You see, thats the rub.  If I saw a wool in St. Andrews that was finer,
the I was on the top side of the earth, and how did I get there? Was I on a
journey of some sort? Astral projection?  Was I communicating in ways that
not even the inventor could begin to comprehend?

"That's the thing, really.  If I was in St. Andrews, its no wonder I could
not figure out how Vynd had actually voted.  Heck, those devices that the
inventor can't understand are pretty darn complex, and something might get
lost in the translation.

"But what if I wasn't in St. Andrews?  What was my excuse then, and am I
still remourseful? Umm, and yes (in that order). As for the former, I think
perhaps a poem could shed some light on the whole situation.

"Ahem.

"	Great boulders of festering malfeasence
		logs, mossy in their tumble
	I look into the eyes of the senate
		and see nothing

"	Perhaps there is a vote slinking there
		tumbling, cast into the void
	/dev/joe  and Vynd stare at me
		and see nothing

"	Ambiguous vats of green slime
		regulated, now, or later?
	I look for friends in the slime
		yet see nothing.

"That, I hope clears up the matter once and for all.  If you are still
reading now, I congratulate you.  If you are still counting lines, I will
help you.  This is #61.  31 more lines to go.

"Perhaps my sorrow doesn't seem authentic enough, heartfelt enough, real
enough for some of you.  Perhaps for others, there just isn't enough of it
(quantity v quality is always the issue, no?)  Perhaps I need to expand on
jus how regretful I am?

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I won't do it again.  I'm sorry, really, I mean it.
I'm sorry, so sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.  I'm so sorry I could eat a
horse.  Sorry enough for the bunch of us, sorrier, perhaps, then a man has
ever been before.

"If there was an upper limit on sorryness, I would exceed.  If there was a
lower limit, I would be so far away from it that I couldn't see it even if
I wasn't myopic.  I am sorry, and sorry is me.  Sorry, in fact is my middle
name.  Mr. Lunatic Sorry Fringe, or perhaps Phillip Sorry Ackley.  Perhaps
I'm just sorry.

"Some of you might be wondering, now what line we are on, and before you
interupt your reading to start counting let me tell you that you are
currently reading line #82.

"Ten lines left, and I'm still sorry.  Sorry I'm boring you, sorry I
commited malpractice.  Sorry I didn't get a 92,000 line penance.  I'm
regretful, sad, and morose.  I can't believe what I did.  I can't believe
how sorry I am.  I can't believe that after reading my lamb story, and my
poem, both of which were horrible, you are still reading, and I am sorry
that you are.  It's sad that my drivel keeps you entertained.

"This is line 91.

"You can stop reading now, this is line ninety two, the line in which I
finally come forth and say 'Heck, man, I'm sory.  It won't happen again, I
promise.'   Or maybe it's not.l  I think line ninety two was the line in
which I said 'You can stop reading now, this is line ninety two, the line
in which I'

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:16:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : IP vote

Having completely lost track of the various IP's, but worried that if I
wait to figure it out, I'll have waited too long, I take my cue from the
founder of my Church, and vote for any and all IP's against ThinMan and
Vynd, and against any and all IP's against Robert Sevin, too. 

- -mr cwm

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>
>I am voting for the IPs against ThinMan and Vynd.
>
>
>I would also like to take this opportunity to praise Rober Sevin's
>actions. Robert Sevin, who is incidentally a Priest of the Church of Odo
>on the Wormhole, has shown reposnsibility and dedication to eir public
>Office.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:27:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: is (thank you)

Oops.  That's what I get for working from memory.  Sorry.

Publishing seems to have gotten in my blood.  I hereby start up a new
newspaper, is not, entirely dedicated to publishing untruths.  Mr. Lunatic
Fringe has explicit permission to publish in is not.

- -mr cwm

#award mr cwm -20 A$ : newspaper start-up fee
#award mr cwm +1 newspaper : is not

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

>mr cwm wrote, under the appearance of publishing in his newspaper:
>
>> is would like to devote this entire end-of-the-month issue to thanking
>> those who voted to restore its belly to its proper place.  Thanks.  (You
>> know who you are.)  (And doesn't this BWG make it all worthwhile?)
>
>P2242 was rejected, due to one additional NO vote by proxy (ThinMan's
>proxy to me) than was first reported.  No newspapers were reinstated.
>
>/dev/joe
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: is not

is not
mr cwm, persistant publisher

This is not the premier issue of is not.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:54:46 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Interesting Offices

Some odd effects seem to have been created by the IP's, together with the
Senate Resolution.

For instance, as a result of the IP's levelled against /dev/joe, he became
an Acting Senator.  However, the temp text of Rule 5001 reappointed him to
his Seat, so I believe that he is not an Acting Senator at the moment.  All
the others are, though.

All this is a good reason why you should support the Rebellion!  Join us
now!  And join the Church of Azpiazu, while you're at it!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
Chipmunks roasting on an open fire...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:39:35 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: The Multiple Impeachments

It occurs to me...upon Impeachment, an Officer immediately becomes an
Acting Officer.  Is it possible to Impeach an Acting Officer?  If not,
then that might solve the multiple IP problem.  (Should it be possible,
or necessary, to impeach an Acting Officer?  One would almost think that
there should be a simpler procedure to do that; however, I didn't see
anything in the Rules on my brief skim...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
"Joey, do you want to put _Little Women_ in the freezer?"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:56:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: is not

> is not
> mr cwm, persistant publisher
> 
> This is not the premier issue of is not.

I call for a public retraction of this blatantly false statement.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
"Beware of idolatry, for when it sours, you'll sour with it."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:14:01 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: People's council

I am joining the People's Council for Internomic.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:19:12 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: IP votes

ACCEPT the first IP against /dev/joe
ACCEPT the second IP against /dev/joe
ACCEPT the IP against ThinMan
ACCEPT the IP against VYND
REJECT the IP against Robert Sevin

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:23:20 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Interesting Offices

> All this is a good reason why you should support the Rebellion!  Join us
> now!  And join the Church of Azpiazu, while you're at it!
> 
As a member of the Church of Azpiazu, I would be honored to join the
rebellion. In honor of this splendid cause, I am wearing my hair in big
buns on each side of each of my two heads.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:24:34 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Apology

> "The answer to that question is blazingly obvious.  I'd write a 92,000
line
> public apology to all of ackanomic begging their forgiveness.  I went so
> far as to suggest this option to the courst, but sadly, the notion was
> rejected.
> 
I thought about it, but I get enough acka mail without a monstrosity like
that in my mailbox.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:27:43 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: *ping*

Today is Wednesday, the 30th day of July, in the Year of Our Lord
1997, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 1 times.

Rex Mundi,
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ross Morgan-Linial <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IP votes

ACCEPT the first IP against /dev/joe
ACCEPT the second IP against /dev/joe
ACCEPT the IP against ThinMan
ACCEPT the IP against VYND
REJECT the IP against Robert Sevin

Antimatter
Not expecting it to do much good

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:40:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Resignations

I am resigning from the offices of:  Web-Harfer, Map-Harfer, Undead-Harfer.

The next Map-harfer should note that the picture map is not entirely updated;
recent changes that need to be updated in the picture are noted in the web
page text below it.  The picture is large enough that it probably should be
split into two separate pictures; it's something like a 600x780 gif now.
Please keep the number of colors to a minimum so players with low-bandwidth
connections can download the map in a reasonable time.

The next web-harfer should, after setting up the new main web page, inform
other sites linked to ackanomic about the change.  The easiest way to do
this is to enter link:http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/ into
altavista; there are only a few main links -- one on Peter Suber's page,
one in the Nomic FAQ, etc.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:08:50 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: IP votes

> Antimatter
> Not expecting it to do much good

It's a symbolic gesture.  If we vote to Impeach them, and they vote not to
be Impeached, then they definitely give up any semblance of being anything
other than a Tyrannical Ruling Elite.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
In the language of violence, death is a silence.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:05:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Interesting Offices

> > All this is a good reason why you should support the Rebellion!  Join us
> > now!  And join the Church of Azpiazu, while you're at it!

> As a member of the Church of Azpiazu, I would be honored to join the
> rebellion. In honor of this splendid cause, I am wearing my hair in big
> buns on each side of each of my two heads.

Very good!  Now all we need is Darth Vader(were he an active player)to join
us.  (After all, _we're_ fighting against the Senate...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
I don't know what kind of medicine is inside this melon.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:12:53 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Resignations

> I am resigning from the offices of:  Web-Harfer, Map-Harfer, Undead-Harfer.

I am volunteering for the office of Undead-Harfer.  Since I have also
volunteered for Financier(I _think_ Chaos resigned from that), I figure
it'd be easiest to do them both together.  It might even be easier to merge
the two offices, since the same kind of work is mostly required for both.
But that's for a later proposal.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
You play glockenspiel, I'll play drums.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 1997 15:05:52 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Public Apology 

This is Silver Moon material.

GF

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:10:56 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Interesting Offices

Alfvaen wrote:

> > > All this is a good reason why you should support the Rebellion!
> Join us
> > > now!  And join the Church of Azpiazu, while you're at it!
> 
> > As a member of the Church of Azpiazu, I would be honored to join the
> > rebellion. In honor of this splendid cause, I am wearing my hair in
> big
> > buns on each side of each of my two heads.
> 
> Very good!  Now all we need is Darth Vader(were he an active player)to
> join
> us.  (After all, _we're_ fighting against the Senate...)
> 
Hmmm.  You seem to be playing too many sides of that analogy....

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:17:47 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Apology

> This is Silver Moon material.

Yes, but so is the description of how to remove Beldin's Pants, not to
mention the Blueprint for the BWG Laser.  IMHO, at least.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Band:The Weight
Current Book--Robert J. Sawyer:Starplex
Arguments with furniture are rarely productive.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:22:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Leaving

I am now dead certain I will be leaving the game soon.

I don't know how to explain this but I've had a few very bad days
since I last logged in, and I'm so... I dunno, heartbroken, that it's
hard for anything to hold my attention.

I hereby resign the Presidency.

I have too much mail.  I don't want to read any of it.  In three days,
I will leave the game and unsubscribe all the mailing lists.  Any time
before or thereafter, I'll be happy to mail the bot programming and
game state to whoever wants it.  If you want me to read something, tag
it with CHAOS (all-caps) in the Subject line or send it without
"Acka:" and I'll get it.

The bot has been down for 48 hours or so because I meant to fix it and
never got around to it.

I'm really sorry.

- -- 
Chaos
not so hot after all :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:15:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  no bot

The bot's web page is down because the admin on odin have installed a
new version of the python binary without also installing the new
version of the python standard libraries.

If you need to learn how to use the bot by mail, send

#help

to my email address.  Be sure to include the word Acrobot in the
subject line.

- --
Chaos
#cut grass

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:21:43 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Apology

> > This is Silver Moon material.
> 
> Yes, but so is the description of how to remove Beldin's Pants, not to
> mention the Blueprint for the BWG Laser.  IMHO, at least.

Why thanks :)

Malenkai
who has never been nominated for an SM, *despite* treasure 106 ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:34:47 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: is not 

As subeditor of is not, I wish to thank mr cwm for his generosity.  It'll
be fun getting back into the paper business.  Perhaps mr. cwm and I should
form an organization dedicated to journalism :)

Now, for the second edition of is not

is not -- issue two

Senate

The senate today acted completely responsibly, with the exception of
senator Robert Sevin who continued on his path of wanton disregard for the
rules and the players of Ackanomic :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:35:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: President

I hereby announce the nomination for the presidency.  E-mail me
if you wish to volunteer.  Note that the functional officers cannot
be appointed until this office is filled, unless someone shows how
the Speaker is acting Prez in this situation.  I do not believe this
is the case.  Thus we are without alot of officers or acting officers
now: Postmaster, web-harfer, map-harfer, and undead-harfer, and
possibly others.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:54:12 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 117

I am objecting to CSR 117

**two-star

The real problem, IMO, is that since the rule change is not retroactive, 
the membership of PCI will still be filled with players who will have 
posted an odd number of messages between the passage of p2246 and the 
acceptance of csr 117.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:57:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate Resolution

The text following this sentence in this message constitutes a
Senate Resolution, with a provisional title of "Concerning the Senate".

{{
The last sentence of the second paragraph of rule 411.1 is immediately
changed to "Otherwise, the organization Vulcan [a marvelous
organization dedicated only to the betterment of all] shall decide
whether to accept the senate resolution."

The text of the third paragraph of rule 411.1, up to and including
the first closing parenthesis, is immediately changed to "If Vulcan
decides to accept a particular senate resolution then immediately after
that fact is publicly knowable".

The first seven words of the fourth paragraph of rule 411.1 are
immediately replaced with "If Vulcan does not decide to accept a
particular".
}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:57:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate Resolution Speech

Friends, Ackazens, countrymen, orangutans, breakfast cereals, fruit
bats, and limes -- lend me your ears!  Today is a momentous day for
Ackanomic.  I have just introduced a Senate Resolution that will
forever strip the Senate of its recently claimed dictatorial powers.
It is inconceivable, preposterous, dare I even say absurd, that the
Senate should have such unrestricted lattitude in controlling our
cherished ruleset.  Our hallowed rules.  Our sacred principles.  Our
treasured guidelines.  Never before in the history of our electronic
nation has so much power been concentrated in the hands of so few.
It is necessary -- necessary I say! -- that these elected-for-life,
non-accountable, supercilious, elitist riffraff be taught a lesson
about who is really in control of Ackanomic.  And why, you ask,
should our power-hungry Senate approve such a measure?  Because they
have no choice!  Thanks to the watchful care of people like you, each
and every Senator is right now under dire threat of impeachment!  What
could be worse for these self-righteous power magnates than to be
stripped of their positions?  That's right, nothing!  The Senate will
toe the line, my friends, mark my words!  I encourage ACCEPTance of the
senate resolution provisionally entitled "Concerning the Senate".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:58:14 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vote on SR: Concerning the Senate

Pursuant to rule rule 411 ("Senate"), I vote in favor of the 
recently introduced SR provisionally entitled "Concerning the 
Senate".

["When a Senate vote is tied, the ProConsul may cast a tiebreaking
vote on the matter in question."  This is another Senate voting
loophole: the Senate rule does not require the voting period to elapse,
or all Senators to have voted, before the ProConsul is permitted to
break a tie.]

Prior to my vote, the vote is tied 0-0.

Malenkai
Proconsul

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:58:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: SR Acceptance

Pursuant to rule 1001 ("Institutions") I announce the voting results
of the SR: "Concerning the Senate".  Said SR is ACCEPTED, 1 vote for.

[From section 3: "Results may be announced before the alloted time
ends, in which case the voting period is over when those results are
announced."  Note that the announcer is nowhere required to be a
member of the institution.]

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:58:12 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Apology

I apologize for resubmitting a whole bunch of Proposals over and over
again.  I kept trying to see if Acrobot was having problems with my new
email address, etc.  Oh, well, all but the first submissions are invalid,
anyway.  But I do apologize.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Olivia Newton-John:Olivia's Greatest Hits Vol. 2
Current Book--Dick Francis:Risk
I think you've hit the nail squarely on the end with the flat thing on it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:09:36 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate Resolution

> The text following this sentence in this message constitutes a
> Senate Resolution, with a provisional title of "Concerning the Senate".

Should any be fooled into thinking that it would be better to have the
Vulcan Party than the Senate in sole charge of our destinies, let us not
forget that the Vulcan Party is made up of ThinMan, who made the original
Senate Resolution proposal, /dev/joe, who made that most fateful Senate
Resolution, and Malenkai, whose complicity up until now has been only
suspected, but on this evidence(as well as that of the Bonus Vote Scam), we
must conclude he is a wilful participant in this outrage as well.

The Rebellion is not fooled.  

What this Resolution will do is remove power from the hands of the good
Robert Sevin, the One Good Senator in this conflict, and Vynd, whom we are
at least willing to give the benefit of the doubt, and give it to Malenkai
as well.  And, furthermore, the Vulcan party members can not be impeached
from their posts, nor need they admit any member that they do not wish to.

This is a dark day indeed for Ackanomic.  Do not be fooled by those who
tell you otherwise.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Olivia Newton-John:Olivia's Greatest Hits Vol. 2
Current Book--Dick Francis:Risk
"And Ostos?"  "Not nearly as attractive."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:35:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: is not

> Now, for the second edition of is not
> 
> is not -- issue two
> 
> Senate
> 
> The senate today acted completely responsibly, with the exception of
> senator Robert Sevin who continued on his path of wanton disregard for the
> rules and the players of Ackanomic :)

If this is indeed a valid issue of is not, then I demand that mr cwm post a
public retraction of this statement, which is obviously intended to
undermine the righteous cause of the Rebellion.  However, since I doubt
that it is, under Rule 925, a retraction need not necessarily be issued.  A
member of the Rebellion will be by to put a chalk mark on your door.  Have
a nice day, and overthrow the Tyrannical Ruling Elite!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Robert Palmer:Ridin' High
Current Book--Dick Francis:Risk
They're stronger than old cheese, stronger than dirt

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:44:57 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Permission And Warning

I am hereby announcing the admission policy of The Rebellion.  Although I
shall retain to myself, as Founder and Leader of The Rebellion, the ability
to grant membership in the Rebellion, I shall state that it will be open to
any player who is not a member of the Tyrannical Ruling Elite.  Any member
of the Tyrannical Ruling Elite must first leave that body, and submit to
some penance I shall describe, before I shall admit them to The Rebellion.

As the Founder of the Church of Azpiazu, I warn the Tyrannical Ruling Elite
that they do not, yet, know the meaning of chaos.  That is the prerogative
of our Church.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Robert Palmer:Ridin' High
Current Book--Dick Francis:Risk
The centaur is a strange creature, torn in a paradox of ways.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:50:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 443 Verdict

CFJ 443 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 443
  Subject: Trivially True
Initiator: Niccolo Flychuck
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected Jul 29, 1997, 19:02h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Malenkai is a membr of They Might Be Slumbering Giants.

Niccolo Flychuck's Reasoning:

This is trivially True. However, previously Malenkai argued that a CFJ
that established that a statement was true about They Might Be Slumbering
Giants is necessarily True about any Organization. Therefore I argue that
a judgement of True on this CFJ means that Malenkai is necessarily a
member of all Organizations.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

Malenkai requested membership in TMBSG on June 13th, and Calvin N Hobbes,
the founding member, supported this request on that day.  I believe the
request was not official until every member of TMBSG supported it, or after
7 days with no objections, but in any case Malenkai has been a member of
TMBSG since June 20th.

I disagree with the initiator's reasoning though; in the situation Malenkai
was arguing about, the same logic that applies to TMBSG applies to every
organization, while in this situation, it is clear that this reasoning
does not apply to some organizations, such as RexBank, which Malenkai
never requested membership in, nor did the membership of the organization
offer it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:55:16 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 444 (two-star)

two-star has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 444
  Subject: Voting in Favor
Initiator: Vynd
    Judge: two-star (selected Jul 30, 1997, 22:55h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Senate did not vote in favor of the Senate resolution
provisonaly entitled "Concerning the Senate".

Vynd's Reasoning:

> Pursuant to rule 1001 ("Institutions") I announce the voting results
> of the SR: "Concerning the Senate".  Said SR is ACCEPTED, 1 vote for.
>
> [From section 3: "Results may be announced before the alloted time
> ends, in which case the voting period is over when those results are
> announced."  Note that the announcer is nowhere required to be a
> member of the institution.]
>
> Malenkai

I'd quote the other messages he sent, but I'm not up to the cutting and
pasting.  Essentially, Malenkai exercised his privilige as Speaker to
submit a senate resolution, voted on it as proconsul (since the Senate was
in a 0-0 tie) and then announced the vote as above.

This is mostly correct, everything except the accepted part.  The
Pro-Consul can vote whenever there is a tie, not jsut when all Senators
ahve voted and there is a tie.  It is correct that anyone is allowed to
announce the results of the vote, and thereby end the voting period, even
if the vote has not been truly completed.  However...

Rule 1001 section 2a says:

"...An Institution votes "in favor" of something or "in support of an
action" when a simple majority of it's members vote "in favor" or "in
support."

Rule 411.1 3rd paragraph says:

"If the Senate votes in favor of accepting a resolution then immediately
after the results of the vote are publicly announced..." yadda yadda
yadda.

1 of 5 does not constitue a majority.  Thus the Senate did not vote in
favor of the resolution, and since it's voting period ended without the
Senate voting in favor, it didn't pass.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #224
*******************************