Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #218
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Saturday, July 26 1997        Volume 02 : Number 218

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:47:17 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan's Vacation 

>I need it clarified whether ThinMan went on vacation, and if
>so, when.  I never saw such an announcement, nor is such indicated
>on the web pages.  There was a time, hovever, when my mail was
>bouncing.
>
>Thx in advance
>Malenkai

ThinMan went on vacation on 7/19/97.  Chaos' Bot status should registrar
that fact on whatever page keeps track of that stuff (ie, I fed the command
to acrobot).

>From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
>To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Acka: Vacation
>Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:19:56 -0500
>X-Priority: 3
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>
>
>I am hereby going on vacation, expected duration 6 days.  I will be
>at a professional conference, possibly with limited email access,
>but will not have much time to devote to the game while I am away,
>nor, probably, for a few days after I return.
>
>I know that this places MLF's murder mystery in a difficult
>position, so I officially offer to give my toga back to him so that he
>can redistribute it (assuming there is anyone who doesn't have one but
>wants one).  MLF can decide whether this presents a problem or not.
>Sorry for the inconvenience; I didn't expect the game to take as long
>as it did to start up, and then I hoped that it would be delayed
>until after my conference.
>
>ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:00:15 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My CJCJ penalty 

I saw /dev/joe sate that My CFCJ penalty had been caried out, but
unfortunately, I never saw the results of my CFCJ.  Hmm, must have been
true.  Anyway, I'm assuming the judge saw fit to fine me A$92.  Is this
correct?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Are aliens abducting the mail?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:18:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan's Vacation

> ThinMan went on vacation on 7/19/97.  Chaos' Bot status should registrar
> that fact on whatever page keeps track of that stuff (ie, I fed the command
> to acrobot).

> >From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
> >To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
> >Subject: Acka: Vacation
> >Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:19:56 -0500
> >X-Priority: 3
> >MIME-Version: 1.0

According to Rule 255, one can only put oneself on Vacation in a public
message; if, as the headers indicate, this was private to the Registrar,
then ThinMan was unfortunately not on vacation.

The last public message I have from him before his unsuccessful vacation is
the one where he destroyed the Rules Manuscript.

> >I know that this places MLF's murder mystery in a difficult
> >position, so I officially offer to give my toga back to him so that he
> >can redistribute it (assuming there is anyone who doesn't have one but
> >wants one).  MLF can decide whether this presents a problem or not.
> >Sorry for the inconvenience; I didn't expect the game to take as long
> >as it did to start up, and then I hoped that it would be delayed
> >until after my conference.

Somebody want to rattle fnord's cage and see if he's awake?  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ ...sort of)
Song In My Head--Nik Kershaw:Radio Musicola
Current Book--Joel Rosenberg:The Silver Stone
The Salmon Of Correction:  A useful creature for whapping those who annoy you.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 01:20:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan's Vacation

Mr. Lunatic Fringe wrote:
> ThinMan went on vacation on 7/19/97.  Chaos' Bot status should registrar
> that fact on whatever page keeps track of that stuff (ie, I fed the command
> to acrobot).

> >From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
> >To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
> >Subject: Acka: Vacation

Here is the problem.  The message where ThinMan attempted to go on
vacation was sent only to Mr. Lunatic Fringe instead of to the public.
This is why I couldn't find it in any of my saved mail or the digest
archive.  The last public message ThinMan sent before he left for his
conference was one where he cashed in the Bound Rules Manuscript trinket
on the 18th.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:46:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan's Vacation 

>> ThinMan went on vacation on 7/19/97.  Chaos' Bot status should registrar
>> that fact on whatever page keeps track of that stuff (ie, I fed the command
>> to acrobot).
>
>> >From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
>> >To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
>> >Subject: Acka: Vacation
>> >Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:19:56 -0500
>> >X-Priority: 3
>> >MIME-Version: 1.0
>
>According to Rule 255, one can only put oneself on Vacation in a public
>message; if, as the headers indicate, this was private to the Registrar,
>then ThinMan was unfortunately not on vacation.

Hmm.  That might explain why I was the only one who thought ThinMan was on
vaction, eh?  I rarely look at the  message headers (except for the subject
and from lines) unless I need to find a time or something.  I never even
realized that I was the only one who recieved this.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
feels bad

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:09:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 141

> I saw /dev/joe sate that My CFCJ penalty had been caried out, but
> unfortunately, I never saw the results of my CFCJ.  Hmm, must have been
> true.  Anyway, I'm assuming the judge saw fit to fine me A$92.  Is this
> correct?

A 92 line public apology is also required.

- ------

CFCJ 141 has been judged true, with penalization after a 3 day grace
period.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 141
  Subject: Malpractice
Initiator: Mr. Lunatic Fringe
    Judge: Rex Mundi (selected Jul 21, 1997, 00:37h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Mr. Lunatic Fringe has commited a crime.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe's reasoning:

On June 26th, the senate reached a decision on the matter of internoic
proposal 342.  I, mistakenly, believed that the senate had not reached a
decision, and was acting under that impression when I abstained while
casting Ackanomic's vote in internomic.  If that isn't the crime of
malpractice, I don't know what is.

Suggested Penalty:

A PUBLIC APOLOGY of 92,000 or more lines by Mr. Lunatic Fringe

Rex Mundi's Reasoning:

Well, this seems to me to be valid, if CFCJ 140 was not submitted
correctly. The issue is then simply is MLF guilty of malpractice. Since he
certainly seems to have performed his duty incorrectly, I find him guilty.

Actual Penalty:

Tempting though it is to uphold the suggested penalty, it might be a little
impractical, so the actual penalty is a public apology of at least 92
lines, and a 92 A$ fine.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:43:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: More Offices

OK, on the the rest of my offices.

Postmaster: breadbox has started setting up mailing lists and expressed
that he believes he is able to take over the postmaster duties.  I am
working with him on getting the lists moved.

Undead-Harfer: this seems to go well with whoever is doing the actual
tracking of entities that is part of the financier office, but somebody
else *could* do it, but in the past, when we had an undead-harfer who
didn't do any other offices, he tended to lose stuff. :-(
Who's interested?

Map-Harfer: this doesn't have to be the same as the web-harfer.
It requires maintaining one web page, no cgi, and one large picture
(although this is so big now that it may be better to split it
into two pieces).  The information tracked is everything related to
land and buildings, and the locations of things (most things are
location-less except players).  A couple people expressed some
interest or at least ability to do this -- Malenkai, two-star, ...

Web-Harfer: As Alfvaen mentioned, this will almost certainly have
to be split up into pieces via assistant web-harfers.  A lot of
people expressed interest in doing some part of this job, and some is
best done by the officer who has to track the thing, if he is able.
Here's how I see it:

Rules -- This works best with some scripting, either scripts just run
by the maintainer (as I am doing it) or CGI (nicer; could do individual
rule pages).  1-2 MB of web space required, depending on how it's done.

Proposal archive -- This might be best done by the promoter; indeed,
Mohammed has had an automated archive of proposals for the last
several hundred proposals.  This takes something like 3 MB of web space,
and grows at about 1 MB every 6 months.  It's possible to have the old
proposals someplace else from the current ones, though a bit clunky to do
it that way; it's also possible that someone other than the promoter does
it, as I have done for the last year or so.  The old proposals will still
be on wilma's server for a while, though I won't really be looking after
them and can't guarantee anything.

CFJ archive -- there's a little over a megabyte here in CFJ's, CFCJ's,
and AOJ's.

Entity Pages -- light-duty web stuff (P/E page is 56K now; undead is 10K),
probably should be done by financier and undead-harfer

Gallery -- one tiny (3K) web page, about 15 pictures, typically about 10K
each, could be more if other players ever get around to submitting pictures.
Light workload, requires some manipulation of pictures on those infrequent
occasions when players submit them, and you have to keep adding/deleting
empty frames as players join/leave.

Scores -- could be done by scorekeeper; tiny (3K) web page for current scores,
15 similarly sized pages for past scores, larger pages of just text for
pointlog (typically 25K for a month-long cycle) and past pointlogs (they
go back to cycle 5).

Blueprints -- is supposed to be the duty of the inventor to keep track of
this stuff, though I don't know that any inventor has ever done so; 50K of
web stuff.

Miscellaneous -- this is the stuff the main web-harfer will probably
maintain.  The Main page, pages for each individual organization, 
records of various sub-games, duels, witchhunts, contracts, the gumball,
the hall of elders, phoebe, the machine, silly vacation hats, prosthetic
foreheads, players' names, and everything else on the current main page
I haven't listed yet.  A megabyte or so of web stuff.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jul 1997 12:28:44 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: CFJ 440 

Judging CFJ 440 is a duty of the Praetor, who if impeached, does not
exist.  Since the rules specify a duty to be done, but not an Officer to
due this duty (the _office_ exists, but not the officer), could the
"What a thankless job" clause be invoked to assign CFJ 440 to the
speaker?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:25:30 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Offices

> Undead-Harfer: this seems to go well with whoever is doing the actual
> tracking of entities that is part of the financier office, but somebody
> else *could* do it, but in the past, when we had an undead-harfer who
> didn't do any other offices, he tended to lose stuff. :-(
> Who's interested?

I have volunteered for Financier, if Chaos is leaving, so maybe I could
plump for this one too.  This way I'd keep track of all entities, including
those owned by Undead and stuff, as well as points.

> Map-Harfer: this doesn't have to be the same as the web-harfer.
> It requires maintaining one web page, no cgi, and one large picture
> (although this is so big now that it may be better to split it
> into two pieces).  The information tracked is everything related to
> land and buildings, and the locations of things (most things are
> location-less except players).  A couple people expressed some
> interest or at least ability to do this -- Malenkai, two-star, ...

I could, too, but space might be a problem.  Unless I put some of my web
stuff up on Geocities or something.

> Web-Harfer: As Alfvaen mentioned, this will almost certainly have
> to be split up into pieces via assistant web-harfers.  A lot of
> people expressed interest in doing some part of this job, and some is
> best done by the officer who has to track the thing, if he is able.
> Here's how I see it:
 
> Rules -- This works best with some scripting, either scripts just run
> by the maintainer (as I am doing it) or CGI (nicer; could do individual
> rule pages).  1-2 MB of web space required, depending on how it's done.

I think Chaos said that he had a program that would do this, but if he's
going away too...  Of course, if someone _can_ run Python stuff on their
site and can take over Acrobot, they could perhaps take over this as well.

> Proposal archive -- This might be best done by the promoter; indeed,
> Mohammed has had an automated archive of proposals for the last
> several hundred proposals.  This takes something like 3 MB of web space,
> and grows at about 1 MB every 6 months.  It's possible to have the old
> proposals someplace else from the current ones, though a bit clunky to do
> it that way; it's also possible that someone other than the promoter does
> it, as I have done for the last year or so.  The old proposals will still
> be on wilma's server for a while, though I won't really be looking after
> them and can't guarantee anything.

See above; it'll depend on who will become the Promoter.

> CFJ archive -- there's a little over a megabyte here in CFJ's, CFCJ's,
> and AOJ's.

This would seem to fall to the Clerk of the Court, but Malenkai may not
have enough web space...one of the Justices, perhaps?  :-)

> Entity Pages -- light-duty web stuff (P/E page is 56K now; undead is 10K),
> probably should be done by financier and undead-harfer

I can do this, probably.  The hardest part would be all the little
graphics; if the Web-Harfer were to keep them on his site, it might be a
bit weird, but still functional.  (Slower for me, but then I've been using
lynx a heck of a lot anyway, so I wouldn't notice.)

> Scores -- could be done by scorekeeper; tiny (3K) web page for current scores,
> 15 similarly sized pages for past scores, larger pages of just text for
> pointlog (typically 25K for a month-long cycle) and past pointlogs (they
> go back to cycle 5).

I can do at the very least the current scores and pointlog, not as sure
about the older stuff(space considerations again).

> Blueprints -- is supposed to be the duty of the inventor to keep track of
> this stuff, though I don't know that any inventor has ever done so; 50K of
> web stuff.

The Inventor office will also be moving on if Chaos leaves, so that's still
a possibility.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ ...sort of)
Current Song--Weird Al Yankovic:I'm Fat
Current Book--Joel Rosenberg:The Silver Stone
At last, the Eludium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:35:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] (Ed  Graham)
Subject: Acka:  Auction

I bid A$70 for the BWG Laser

Voting Gnomebody knows the trouble I've seen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:35:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] (Ed  Graham)
Subject: Acka:  Re:  CFJ 439

While I admit that Karm's reasoning has taken care of the first two
arguments of my reasoning,  there is still the fact that Rule 401 states
that all Offices shall have "duties"  and "privileges".  Since Rule 419
makes no provision for "privileges",  I still maintain that the
Ambassador is not really an Ackanomic Office.

I hereby appeal CFJ 439 to the Supreme Court.  We need more Voting Gnomes
in Internomic!

Voting Gnome Many Paddy Gnome

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:42:41 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Streak

Here's something that I've never been quite clear on, regarding the
definition of a Streak.  Actually, I suppose it actually concerns the
ordering of accepted Proposals.

For the purposes of a Streak(or LSAP, for that matter), is the order of
Proposals strictly numerical order, or does it depend on the order in which
the Tabulator distributes the results?  Acrobot can distribute a set almost
simultaneously; a human Tabulator could easily, and quite legally,
distribute a set in reverse order with a clear 5-minute gap between each,
if e wished to do so.

If this has come up before and there's a CFJ on the subject, then I'll go
check it; otherwise, perhaps I should submit one.  (I have been keeping the
CotC busy these days, but then he _says_ that CFJ's are his favourite part
of the game...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ ...sort of)
Current Song--Belinda Carlisle:Circle In The Sand
Current Book--Joel Rosenberg:The Silver Stone
There was a hobbit from the Shire, and Bingo was his name-O:  B-I-N-G-O...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:53:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Streak

> Here's something that I've never been quite clear on, regarding the
> definition of a Streak.  Actually, I suppose it actually concerns the
> ordering of accepted Proposals.
> 
> For the purposes of a Streak(or LSAP, for that matter), is the order of
> Proposals strictly numerical order, or does it depend on the order in which
> the Tabulator distributes the results?  Acrobot can distribute a set almost
> simultaneously; a human Tabulator could easily, and quite legally,
> distribute a set in reverse order with a clear 5-minute gap between each,
> if e wished to do so.

It just depends on the order the Tabulator releases the results.  There
was a rule a while back that required the tabulator to release all the
results in numerical order, and if any proposals' results were skipped,
the later ones weren't processed by the game until after the earlier
results were released + processed.  However, somewhere in all the office
rearrangements I think this went away.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:05:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Streak

> > For the purposes of a Streak(or LSAP, for that matter), is the order of
> > Proposals strictly numerical order, or does it depend on the order in which
> > the Tabulator distributes the results?  Acrobot can distribute a set almost
> > simultaneously; a human Tabulator could easily, and quite legally,
> > distribute a set in reverse order with a clear 5-minute gap between each,
> > if e wished to do so.
> 
> It just depends on the order the Tabulator releases the results.  There
> was a rule a while back that required the tabulator to release all the
> results in numerical order, and if any proposals' results were skipped,
> the later ones weren't processed by the game until after the earlier
> results were released + processed.  However, somewhere in all the office
> rearrangements I think this went away.

I have no problem with the order of the Tabulator's releasing Proposals
being entirely up to em.  However, I could see, for instance, a Tabulator
purposely ordering the release of Proposal results so that a Streak never
occurs, judiciously inserting rejected Proposals as necessary(unless a
three-day or longer period goes by with nothing but accepted Proposals).
Maybe I'll submit a proposal that LSAP and Streaks depend only on the
proposal numbers, not on the arbitrary timing of release of voting results.
(If a bunch of Proposals come out simultaneously, numerical order would
seem to be the way to go _anyway_...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ ...sort of)
Song In My Head--Manhattan Transfer:Why Not
Current Book--Joel Rosenberg:The Silver Stone
"Ah!  A house of heavenly peace!  I rent it!"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:06:58 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Pages

Okay, I now have some reasonable facsimile of a Current Scores page up.  I
would be obliged if /dev/joe, or anyone else, could take a look at the
scores and pointlog and see if I've made any grievous error.  (I'm still
operating under the assumption that Karma retracted "Wich Which"; if I'm
mistaken, let me know.)

I've also got a little Mad Scientist's page up, too.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ ...sort of)
Song In My Head--Manhattan Transfer:Why Not
Current Book--Joel Rosenberg:The Silver Stone
Harpo, you talk too much.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:17:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Re:  CFJ 439

Voting Gnome appealed CFJ 439 with the following comments:

> While I admit that Karm's reasoning has taken care of the first two
> arguments of my reasoning,  there is still the fact that Rule 401 states
> that all Offices shall have "duties"  and "privileges".  Since Rule 419
> makes no provision for "privileges",  I still maintain that the
> Ambassador is not really an Ackanomic Office.
> 
> I hereby appeal CFJ 439 to the Supreme Court.  We need more Voting Gnomes
> in Internomic!

Like I said, I have nothing against Voting Gnome becoming Ambassador,
but I hate to see the rules bent into a pretzel to make it happen ;-).

I think its a compelling argument about the privileges, and would be
interested in seeing the Court's comments on the matter (I have my own
ideas), but the Ambassador has privileges, so the argument is trivially
countered.  The types of things that are privileges are described in
rule 401:

> The Privileges of an Office are the considerations the Officer(s)
> receive according to the Rules regulating the Office. Examples can
> include the receipt of Ackanomic currency, the ability to cast extra
> votes in certain circumstance, or special consideration with regards
> to making appointments or issuing CFJ decisions. 

Rule 419.2, section V, defines a privilege for the Ambassador under the
special circumstances when e is Liaison to Internomic, and a vote
on Attitude is being taken.  Note that the game custom of CFJ 223 that
things can be duties and privs without the rules explicitly saying
such; indeed, rule 401 is worded this way.

Malenkai
Expert on Offices

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:43:07 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  Re:  CFJ 439

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC992A.98D4F2A0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Friday, July 25, 1997 6:17 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Acka:  Re:  CFJ 439

Voting Gnome appealed CFJ 439 with the following comments:

> While I admit that Karm's reasoning has taken care of the first two
> arguments of my reasoning,  there is still the fact that Rule 401 =
states
> that all Offices shall have "duties"  and "privileges".  Since Rule =
419
> makes no provision for "privileges",  I still maintain that the
> Ambassador is not really an Ackanomic Office.
>=20
> I hereby appeal CFJ 439 to the Supreme Court.  We need more Voting =
Gnomes
> in Internomic!

Like I said, I have nothing against Voting Gnome becoming Ambassador,
but I hate to see the rules bent into a pretzel to make it happen ;-).

I think its a compelling argument about the privileges, and would be
interested in seeing the Court's comments on the matter (I have my own
ideas), but the Ambassador has privileges, so the argument is trivially
countered.  The types of things that are privileges are described in
rule 401:

> The Privileges of an Office are the considerations the Officer(s)
> receive according to the Rules regulating the Office. Examples can
> include the receipt of Ackanomic currency, the ability to cast extra
> votes in certain circumstance, or special consideration with regards
> to making appointments or issuing CFJ decisions.=20

Rule 419.2, section V, defines a privilege for the Ambassador under the
special circumstances when e is Liaison to Internomic, and a vote
on Attitude is being taken.  Note that the game custom of CFJ 223 that
things can be duties and privs without the rules explicitly saying
such; indeed, rule 401 is worded this way.

Malenkai
Expert on Offices
I wish voting gnome would somehow be allowed to become ambassador, Gnome =
how come your not a voting player? That office would be yours whiz-bang!
- -karma

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC992A.98D4F2A0
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC992A.98D4F2A0--

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:49:05 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Offices 

>I could, too, but space might be a problem.  Unless I put some of my web
>stuff up on Geocities or something.

I have access to about 10 megs of space at my ISP.  If there is a way to
set up permissions so someone could use it without compromising my account,
I am willing to donate some to Acka.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 21:56:34 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 139 (mr cwm)

ThinMan failed to respond to CFCJ 139.  It has been reassigned
to mr cwm.

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 139
  Subject: Entity Manipulation
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (failed to respond)
3rd Judge: mr cwm (selected Jul 25, 1997, 21:56h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Chaos has committed a Crime.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Chaos attempted to zap the following entities with an Orbital Mind
Control Laser via the following action on July 14th:

- ---
> I offer /dev/joe Jephthah's Pride in exchange for the Collossus of
> Sardia, an Otzma Card type Go Fish, a Plunky Monkey Wrench, a Scroll of
> Crumble, and A$250.        Oh my, this is too good to pass up.        I am zapping /dev/joe with my Orbital Mind Control Laser for
the trade offer quoted above.
        *zot*
- ---

Now, its been alleged that this was in fact a Crime, due to the fact that
the Collossus of Sardia did not exist at the time, but were not here to
judge that.

It seems much more likely that the heinous crime of Zuriti'ili was comitted
in regards to these nefarious attempted entity manipulations.  Lets look
at the mysterious  circumstances surrounding this action:  1) The fabled
Collossus of Sardia mysteriously disappears.  2) The target is nothing but
charred remains in the afterlife.  3) The President (and defendant) is
making secret deals with his partner in crime to gerrymander him onto
the Supreme Court in exchange for supporting this underhanded entity
manipulation.

We know that the heinous crime of Zuriti'ili involves entities, but not
a prime number of entities.  The number of entities in question here
is 254 or 255, depending how you count.  It is also rumoured in the
ancient texts that a *zot* noise is involved, and that is the case here.

The Judge has no choice, given the overwhelming evidence presented, that
Chaos comitted the Crime of Zuriti'ili here on this day of July 14th.

Suggested Penalty:

A FINE of A$1150 -- known A$ value of the entities in question.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:00:57 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 441 (/dev/joe)

/dev/joe has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 441
  Subject: brain-stoppingly obvious
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected Jul 25, 1997, 22:00h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

It is permissible for Church Policy to force a Church member to leave a
Church.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Rule 1301 says that Church Policy cannot prevent a Church member from
leaving, but it says nothing about the converse.  Rule 1003 is similarly
silent on the matter.  Therefore, I would assume that it is permissible,
since Church Policy is allowed to regulate admission policies, and hence by
implication the membership of the Church in general, with the single
restriction already mentioned.

This may be brain-stoppingly obvious, but I'd still like it cleared up.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:04:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 442 (Vynd)

Vynd has been selected.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 442
  Subject: Church
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Vynd (selected Jul 25, 1997, 22:04h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

It is possible for the Priest of a Church to have eir Priesthood stripped
from em, if that Church's Policy specifies ways for such to occur.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Again, it says in Rule 1301 that only the Church Founder can ordain
Priests, no matter what Church Policy may say to the contrary, but it says
nothing about how a Priest can be stripped of eir Priesthood.  It seems
to me that this should fall under the purview of Church Policy as well.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:09:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: snowgod's disease

/dev/joe is found to have snowgod's disease by a 4 to 2 vote

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 21:25:52 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Offices

Mr. Lunatic Fringe wrote:
> I have access to about 10 megs of space at my ISP.  If there is a way to
> set up permissions so someone could use it without compromising my account,
> I am willing to donate some to Acka.

The simplest way for you to devote this space is to keep the old proposal
and cfj archives.  The officer who keeps the more recent pages can keep a
menu of the archives (like mine) and just link them in, transferring a
new block of files to you every few months.  I can prepare a package of
web pages for this use, fixing most links that would break, so that you
can download it from wilma and plop the whole thing in your html directory
on your ISP.  Let me know what type of access you have to your web space
(shell access, ftp only, etc.) and I can set it up appropriately (if you
have shell access I can make a tar archive -- one big file to transfer
instead of dozens of little ones, and one easy command to unpack, and
you can go directly from your ISP to wilma instead of making the slow
trip across your modem twice).

I can do the same thing on wilma, of course, but I can't guarantee it will
stay running.  I will try to keep wilma running, but I won't have _physical_
access to wilma for 5 months, so if something goes wrong, who knows how long
it will be until it is fixed.  Thus, I am trying to make the game not depend
on wilma while I am gone.  For future reference, if wilma does go down for
an extended period of time, I will probably use [email-masked] or
[email-masked] OR an account with my yet-to-be-determined ISP
in Boston.  You can never have too many accounts. :-)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:10:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 442 (Vynd)

I accept.

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:14:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Request for explanation

I am hereby requesting an explanation of the terms "Aarimakat",
"ruwopeki", "inkelika", and "dodobykiykipoombah" from the Church of
the Markovian Dream, in accordance with section 5c of rule 1301.

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 21:29:42 -0900, snowgod wrote on the main list:
> I just wanted to take a moment to once again remind everyone what a great
> bunch of folks they really are and thank them for being that way.  I have a
> swell time here in ackanomic (sweller yet if the aliens begine invading)
> and I just wanted to take a moment to say so.
> 
> So thanks, and be swell. Aarimakat ruwopeki inkelika dodobykiykipoombah.
> 
> snowgod

/dev/joe
Bored
Reading rules to try to decide CFJ 441

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:43:12 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure

With the recent CFJ regarding inaccurate reporting of treasure map
finding...it turns out that, due to a late-discovered flaw in /dev/joe's
proof of the lack of existence of an Ackanomic-inspired pangram, he did not
find the Exquisite Dead Guy.

Since he has now corrected the flaw, he has found the Exquisite Dead Guy.
The map is the same as I posted before(obviously).

We apologize for any inconvenience.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Alta Moda:Julian
Current Book--Joel Rosenberg:The Silver Stone
Gods chase, round vase. What say? What play? Don't know. Nice, though.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #218
*******************************