Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #205
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, July 18 1997         Volume 02 : Number 205

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:14:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

Upon further consideration, I am retracting Proposal 2238, "Easier
Reading".  The way /dev/joe has it phrased works, at least, and I'm not
certain mine would, especially since it's closer to older phrasings, which
have been superseded.  (It's tricky trying to rephrase a Rule so that it's
easier to read but has exactly the same effect...)

Maybe what's needed is a square-bracketed listing of how the mechanics
actually work, because that's what always confused me about the rule.

Oh, and I think I was supposed to be eligible for a Blue Cross about
now...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Nigel Kennedy:Tchaikovsky & Sibelius: Violin Concertos
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Sexy zebras just prowl and vie for quick, hot matings.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:37:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Otzma Blueprint

I am playing my Scientist For A Day Otzma Card.

#award Alfvaen: -20 A$: Rule 1240.14

Here, below, is the collection of text which is a proposed Blueprint for a
"Butler":

A Butler is a robotic creature about seven feet tall.  Its head is
featureless except for a speaker grille, and it has several arms(the exact
number varies, but the number of arms does not affect the Butler's
functioning).

A player who owns a Butler may set it to automatically welcome visitors
into eir Home.  If the Butler is so set, then any player who wishes to may
enter that player's Home.  When setting the Butler to welcome visitors, the
owner may specify a duration(up to a week)during which the Butler will do
so; if the owner does not specify such a duration, the Butler will do so
for three days.  After performing such duty, the Butler must rest and
recharge itself, and it will be an equal length of time before it may
perform such services again.

In addition, the Butler's owner may provide it with an ordered list of
entities(which e must own), and set it to distribute these entities to
guests.  When the Butler is in "welcoming" mode, it will give one
entity to each guest who arrives at it's owner's Home who has not
already done so since it was last set to welcome visitors, in the order
that was specified by its owner.  The owner may add entities to the end
of the list, or remove entities from the list, at any time; if e
transfers an entity on the list to another player, or uses it in any
way, it is assumed to be removed from the list.  This duty is even more
taxing to the Butler, however, and after it has finished performing it
one Processing Chip must be given to it for every ten entities in the list
(including any additions made after the initial list), or the Butler will
become Broken.

The Butler will become Broken if at any time its owner's House begins to
dangle, because the unaccustomed shock will upset its delicate circuitry.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:It's Going To Take Some Time This Time
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
God is good, God is great, God's a big invertebrate

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 00:49:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Justice Confirmation

The senate has confirmed Guy Fawkes's appointment as Justice by a 4-0 vote.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 00:02:54 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Azpiazu

I have been transformed by a vision which came to me.

I had a dream wherein I was working on the Monster Azpiazu.  I spent a week
labouring on this creation, and yet when I was done, what did I have?  It
was defined in only the vaguest of terms--"All sentences that follow this
one are, or describe, attributes of Azpiazu, and they conflict with this
one."  And yet, what self-referential and almost self-contradictory traits
are combined therein!

I completed the construction of Azpiazu.  However, unlike in real life,
Azpiazu did not vanish into oblivion upon the very moment of its creation,
a malformed, vulnerable creature which could not withstand the transition
from the womb of the Blueprint to full Gadgethood, destroyed by the Rules.
No, in my dream Azpiazu transcended the Rules themselves, to a realm
outside of all Nomics. I gazed upon its untrammeled formlessness, an
Entity no more, but now something other!  Its shape changed from second to
second, a creature of pure chaos.

It said unto me three things.  "All Hell shall break loose," it said, "and
Chaos will reign until a day which shall be revealed to you.  Mark well
this day."  Hearken, but shortly thereafter, in Proposal 2103, the words of
Azpiazu were fulfilled.

It also said unto me, "This Chaos shall take many forms.  It shall exist
outside the realm of Ackanomic as well as within, though within its form
shall be proclaimed but disguised, its tendrils seeking everywhere.  It is
a force at war with Harf, and yet inextricable from it."  I began to see
the truth of these words with the recent uncertainty in my personal
situation outside of Ackanomic.

Finally, it said unto me, "When Chaos takes a perceptible form, and reigns
truly, in a high Office of the land, then these three signs will have been
fulfilled.  You will spend some time serving another Dream, but you must
then leave that Dream behind and follow this one, and spread my teachings
throughout the land of Ackanomic."

It was then that I awoke, and my mind was filled with the clarity it has
after dreams, but many details were forgot over the days to come, only to
be brought to mind in deja vu in recent days.  Only now have I put all the
pieces together, and realized what Azpiazu was trying to say to me.

So I must leave the Church of the Markovian Dream, and apologize to the
Founder of that Church, who was kind enough to grant me admittance.  I knew
not whereof I was searching, but now my path is clear.  I must found the
Church of Azpiazu.

Share with me the wisdom of Azpiazu!  Meditate upon His Holy Blueprint,
whose text may never be used to produce another like him, but which we
shall preserve against the passage of time.  Come and follow the Church of
Azpiazu!  Follow our Creed: "Be inconsistent, but don't do it all the
time."

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:We've Only Just Begun
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Suddenly, she died of old age.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:27:04 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vynd's Idea 

I too support Vynd's Internomic idea.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
ambassador
couldn't find the right thread

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:28:26 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Duel 

>> > Mr. Lunatic Fringe chooses "ghost",  and the wail of frustration and
>> > defeat shall be heard throughout the guberniyas of all Nomics.  Prepare
>> > to meet thy doom,  Malenkai.
>>
>> We need a referee.  Any volunteers?
>
>I will volunteer.  I think this is the first duel since I arrived that I
>haven't been involved in, so I have to get my nose in somewhere.

I am happy with Alfvaen as a referee.  Let the games begin

M.L. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:21:10 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure Trinkets  

I'm hereby officially giving these togas to the following players.  Thanks
to /dev/joe for having pointed out that I missed this.

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, ThinMan : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #1

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, Techno : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #2

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, Malenkai : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #3

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, Voting Gnome : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure
Toga #4

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, Alfvaen : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #5

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, two-star : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #6

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, karma : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #7

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, breadbox : Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Treasure Toga #8

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:22:36 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BWG 

Fnord! Intiate Plan A as previously discussed!

MLF

>Alfvaen
>Malenkai
>Breadbox
>Karma
>Voting Gnome
>ThinMan
>two-star
>Techno

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:32:18 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket and party 

Okay, so i'm making this trinket, and calling it Stumpy, it's descriptio is
exactly that, stumpy.  It has a value of A$10.

I'm going to Dread Pirate Roberts housewarming party and giving it to him.

#trinket stumpy : 10 : stumpy
#transfer snowgod, Dread Pirate Roberts : stumpy
And thanks to Alfvaen, it should now be official :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 02:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bronze Torch

> I am awarding Mohammed a Bronze Torch.  
> 
> #award mohammed : bronze torch

I presume this was meant for Chaos.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:21:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bronze Torch

> I presume this was meant for Chaos.

Right.  I have trouble with name changes, because they are not
socially or anthropologically natural (at least to me).  I don't
suppose acka would support a proposal to require leaving the game
in order to change a name?

#award chaos bronze torch

Malenkai
whose name was I am Lake N once

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 07:03:10 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Blueprint

Since the blueprint does not specify different behaviour for the Butler
if it is Broken, I don't believe this works, (or fails to work,) quite
as intended. perhaps the blueprint rule should be amended to provide a
default definition of brokenness. (OTOH, ICOCBW, since I didn't bother
to look at the rule just now.) Curiously, the butler does not require
the entities it hands out to be tradeable. Hmm.

**two-star

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> I am playing my Scientist For A Day Otzma Card.
> 
> #award Alfvaen: -20 A$: Rule 1240.14
> 
> Here, below, is the collection of text which is a proposed Blueprint for a
> "Butler":

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:23:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Awards

I am awarding Alfvaen a blue cross.

#award Alfvaen: Blue Cross

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:31:49 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Azpiazu

> Share with me the wisdom of Azpiazu!  Meditate upon His Holy Blueprint,
> whose text may never be used to produce another like him, but which we
> shall preserve against the passage of time.  Come and follow the Church
of
> Azpiazu!  Follow our Creed: "Be inconsistent, but don't do it all the
> time."
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)

Yes! Alfvaen, you are truly a visionary of the highest order. I am applying
for membership in the Church of Azpiazu.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:28:10 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: church of azpiazu

I wish to join the church of azpiazu.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:56:35 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: cash crunch

I have discovered that my copy of the bound rules manuscript is
becoming out of date far too fast.  Pretty soon I'll have an errata
file larger than the book itself.  Anyway, since I'm also a little
on the low side as far as cash goes, I am hereby destroying the
Bound Rules Manuscript for cash.

#award ThinMan: -1 Bound Rules Manuscript: Fahrenheit 451
#award ThinMan: +300 A$: trinket destruction

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:00:45 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Blueprint

> Since the blueprint does not specify different behaviour for the Butler
> if it is Broken, I don't believe this works, (or fails to work,) quite
> as intended. perhaps the blueprint rule should be amended to provide a
> default definition of brokenness.  (OTOH, ICOCBW, since I didn't bother
> to look at the rule just now.)

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I did think that something like that was
already in there.  Mea culpa.

> Curiously, the butler does not require
> the entities it hands out to be tradeable. Hmm.

Oops.  And with Rule 515's blanket deference clause, that would go
through.

This is obviously why I am not yet a real Scientist.  <sigh>  Well, I
thought it was a good idea, and moderately harmless.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Cowboy Junkies:Sun Comes Up It's Tuesday Morning
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Can you _prove_ that I'm a skeptic?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:08:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: church of azpiazu

> I wish to join the church of azpiazu.

Ah, my Evil Twin.  But of course!  :-)  Would you like me to reattach your
house now?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Cowboy Junkies:Sun Comes Up It's Tuesday Morning
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
The lottery is just a tax on people who are bad at math.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:43:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic Digest V2 #204

Excerpts from mail: 18-Jul-97 Ackanomic Digest V2 #204 by Ackanomic
[email-masked] 
> Second:  to ben:  I have no ulterior motive in backing your attempt to
> play Party Chess.  As I stated earlier,  it's just that I have at least
> some income,  which is sometimes difficult to do without becoming a
> Voting Player and paying attention to details you'd rather ignore.  I
> just didn't want another Player giving up on Acka because he was forced
> to deal with aspects of this humongous game that didn't interest em.
> 
> When you find yourself in need of funds,  please email me privately (but
> don't forget to put "Acka" in the subject line,.  that's how I filter my
> mail)  and I will transfer your needs in a public message.
> 
> Be warned:  I'm generous,  not affluent.
> 

cool.  that's quite nice of you then.  i just thought i'd ask, since i'm
still barely familiar w/ ackanomic.  

despite my original intentions to only play party chess, and despite my
lack of time to do otherwise, i still continue to ask my (former) mentor
questions about the rest of ackanomic.  since i still flip thru the
digest in case my name pops up, i see a lot of what's going on even tho
i usually have no idea of what the real meaning is.  curiousity keeps
getting the better of me.  so who knows, i might start dabbling in
ackanomic outside of party chess.  it looks like i missed a great party
already, which is something i never like to do.

but back to financing party chess, i will certainly take you up on your
offer should the need arise.  it turns out that w/ my five free pieces,
and my initial A$ allotment, i am actually set for at least several
months.  so nobody needs to lose any sleep over ben's party chess
situation.

btw, is there an officially definition of the word 'harf'?  i see it
used a lot, and context suggests that it is a very general and positive
word, sort of like cool, but i could be wrong.  i'd hate to just go and
use it improperly, as i'm sure that is a major faux paus among ackanomic
players.

thanks,
ben 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:07:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic Digest V2 #204

Ben wrote:
> btw, is there an officially definition of the word 'harf'?  i see it
> used a lot, and context suggests that it is a very general and positive
> word, sort of like cool, but i could be wrong.  i'd hate to just go and
> use it improperly, as i'm sure that is a major faux paus among ackanomic
> players.

No, but harf does have two interestingly distinct meanings that have come
into popular usage in Acka.  The first meaning of harf is a noun, from which
we get derived forms like harfy and harfmeister.  The use of "harf" to
describe silly, fun rules/proposals dates to the beginning of the game
(literally; see proposal 301 -- the first proposal -- in the archive on
the official web page, which tried to define "harfy rules").

The second meaning of harf is a verb, and in strong contrast to the first
definition, the verb means "work".  This derives from Web-Harfer, the
office concerned with maintaining the official web page, which came into
existence way back with proposal 411 -- though it can traced even further,
to proposal 327, the last of the proposals made in the first day the
game was being played, which would have defined the Helpful Harfer, an
assistant to the speaker, back before the various other offices existed.

Robert Sevin, the player who brought the word harf to Acka, has a few
other meanings for the word; you should ask him about it.  I know I
once did something that elicited a "Holy Harf!" comment from RS.  He
claims his brother invented the word, and one time this brother was
going to join the game, and wanted to use Harf as his name, but a rule
(created long before by Robert Sevin) prevented this, and he ended up
not joining at all.

/dev/harf :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:14:36 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: WebCam 

Hey!

I just found a webcam in my city (about ten miles from me, actually).  If
anyone is interestred in taking a look, the URL is
http://camera.touchngo.com/.  I oughta place a sign up where you guys can
read it!

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:02:44 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WebCam

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> Hey!
> 
> I just found a webcam in my city (about ten miles from me, actually).  If
> anyone is interestred in taking a look, the URL is
> http://camera.touchngo.com/.  I oughta place a sign up where you guys can
> read it!
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe

How about a huge banner with the word HARF in chartreuse on a mauve
background hanging from the traffic light pole?

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 01:51:54 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: MetaMorph - notes and public actions

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Mitchell Harding wrote:

> 
> I hereby leave Metamorph, and affirm my membership only in Harf. I would
> like to still be found guilty, however.
> 
> Robert Sevin
> 
> ------------------------------
>

I am sorry to see Robert Sevin leaving MetaMorph. He will be missed.

I would also like the acka public to know that MetaMorph is currently
seeking new members. MetaMorph was founded on a platform of change and a
dynamic nomic.

I am attempting to perform the following public action on behalf of
MetaMorph:
Appoint snowgod as MetaMorph Swinger.

Niccolo Flychuck
member of MetaMorph

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:55:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: MetaMorph - notes and public actions

> I am attempting to perform the following public action on behalf of
> MetaMorph:
> Appoint snowgod as MetaMorph Swinger.

This may fail, because he's now called "Mr. Lunatic Fringe".  (Of
course, if he's going to keep naming trinkets after himself, maybe he
should change his name back.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Bruce Willis:The Return of Bruno
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Rotisserie: a Ferris wheel for chickens.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:58:16 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: goose egg.

I am using my Charteuse goose egg to reduce my score to 0.

**two-star

How many times has this been done? And how many times has it been done
to so little effect?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:28:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Auctions

On OCID 137 I bid A$ 45

On OCID 135 I bid A$5

Voting Gnome Alaska

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:28:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  Re:  Lotsastuff

Sorry you missed my post Malenkai.  It was I,  Voting Gnome who sent that
post.  I thought I had read that you were "finished" building the BWGL, 
so I guess I'll have to wait till next week to point the bussiness end at
breadbox.

VG

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:59:44 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Postmaster request 

As yor-delegate, I am requesting a mailing list for the synod.  However, I
realize /dev/joe is going soon and that this is probably more trouble than
it's worth, so if its a hassle, please feel free to ignore this request.

Mr. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:30:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Internomic P342 

Try as I might I can't find a resolution to Ackanomics vote on P342.  It
appears as if the vote ended in a 2-2 tie Niccolo and Vynd voting against.
/dev/joe and Robert Sevin voting for.  Did the Proconsul ever break the
tie, or was the senate held in contempt?

If thats the case, Ackanomic has abstained on P342 and I am also in
violation of the rules for not casting a vote, as is the president.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:39:27 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Proposal Results 

Ackazens,

The latest Internomic results, hot off the internomic wire.  Every single
proposal failed, and there were lots of abstentions.  For at least part of
this time, Thring and PPN were without liason.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

(No vote indicates abstention)

________________________________________________
Internomic P336:

Micronomic II (Macronomic) 		Against
Ackanomic 				Against
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					Against
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P337

Micronomic II (Macronomic)
Ackanomic 				For
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					For
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P338

Micronomic II (Macronomic) 		Against
Ackanomic 				Against
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					Against
Internomic

Proposal fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P339

Micronomic II (Macronomic)
Ackanomic 				For
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					Against
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P340

Micronomic II (Macronomic) 		For
Ackanomic 				Against
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					For
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P341

Micronomic II (Macronomic) 		For
Ackanomic
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					For
Internomic

Proposl Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P342

Micronomic II (Macronomic)
Ackanomic
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic				Against
Agora					Against
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P343

Micronomic II (Macronomic)
Ackanomic				Against
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic
Agora					For
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P344

Micronomic II (Macronomic)
Ackanomic 				Against
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic
Agora					Against
Internomic

Proposal Fails
________________________________________________
Internomic P345

Micronomic II (Macronomic)
Ackanomic 				Against
Thring
Pumpkin Patch
Rishonomic
Agora					For
Internomic

Proposal Fails

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:41:01 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Resignation 

By this message I resing as Ackanomic's ambassador.  It is a fun job, but I
am in a minimilization mode right now, and figure I'll spread the fun
around.  Whoever gets chosen as the next ambassador will also become
Ackanomics liason to internomic.  I remain the moderator of Internomic, so
don't forget to cc: Acka's votes to me.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:45:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Internomic P342

> Try as I might I can't find a resolution to Ackanomics vote on P342.  It
> appears as if the vote ended in a 2-2 tie Niccolo and Vynd voting against.
> /dev/joe and Robert Sevin voting for.  Did the Proconsul ever break the
> tie, or was the senate held in contempt?

I voted on all proposals which were presented to me as tied.  I do not
remember if 342 was on the list.  I will look for that post, if /dev/joe,
with his superior technology, does not find it first.

Malenkai
ProConsul

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:53:54 -0700
From: Hank Turowski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acks: Im gone for a few days

I will be unexpectedly out of town this weekend, as a result, I will not be
able to post the winner of my Limerick contest till Monday.  Sorry.

D.P.R.

- ----
Hank Turowski               Edmark, an IBM Company  C Code                 
[email-masked]            Redmond, WA             C Code Run             
[email-masked]  (206) 556-3651          Run Code Run... PLEASE!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:02:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador

The nomination period for Ambassador starts now and lasts for 3
days.  E-mail me if you wish to volunteer.  BTW, I could not find
where (even if) I voted on INP 342.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:15:39 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Internomic P342 

>
>I voted on all proposals which were presented to me as tied.  I do not
>remember if 342 was on the list.  I will look for that post, if /dev/joe,
>with his superior technology, does not find it first.

Hmm.  Here is the list of tied votes that I found:

>From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Acka: Internomic proposals
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:27:11 -0500 (CDT)
>In-Reply-To:
><[email-masked]> from "Uri
>Bruck" at Jun 24, 97 00:04:51 am
>Content-Type: text
>X-UIDL: 68278667fb958f5e2b1a7a3504d5a1c5
>
>On the issues of Internomic proposals 337-341, the senate consisting of
>myself, Robert Sevin, Vynd, and acting senator Niccolo Flychuck have voted
>differently on each proposal, requiring a tiebreaker from the Pro-Consul
>in some cases.
>
>Internomic proposal 337 by Micronomic II:
>The vote was unanimously YES.
>
>Internomic proposal 338 by Ackanomic (Robert Sevin):
>Robert Sevin and Vynd voted YES.
>Niccolo Flychuck and /dev/joe voted NO.
>
>Internomic proposal 339 by Ackanomic(Calvin N Hobbes):
>Robert Sevin voted NO.
>The other 3 senators voted YES.
>
>Internomic proposal 340 by Agora:
>Robert Sevin and Vynd voted NO.
>Niccolo Flychuck and /dev/joe voted YES.
>
>Internomic proposal 341 by Agora:
>Robert Sevin and /dev/joe voted NO.
>Vynd and Niccolo Flychuck voted YES.
>
>/dev/joe
>

This goes up to P341.  I think what happened was that the proposal results
for the next batch started coming in and /dev/joe and vynd and Robert Sevin
voted For P342 with vynd noting that he could be talked into changing his
vote.  Niccolo Flychuck presented some more facts about P342 and vynd
changed his vote, causing a tie.  What happened after that, I don't know.

Any clues from the senate?

Mr. Lunatic "No Longer the Ambassador" Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:14:35 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador

I'd like to commend snowgod, et al on his fine job as Ambassador.
If memory serves me correctly, the Ambassador's office was the 
longest continuously held office, since Apr or May 96.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:35:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Blueprint

> If the Butler is so set, then any player who wishes to may
> enter that player's Home.

Hmmm....

> In addition, the Butler's owner may provide it with an ordered list of
> entities(which e must own), and set it to distribute these entities to
> guests.  When the Butler is in "welcoming" mode, it will give one
> entity to each guest who arrives at it's owner's Home who has not
> already done so since it was last set to welcome visitors, in the order
> that was specified by its owner. 

Hmmm....

What if one of the entities is the Butler? ;-)  

I also note that it is my opinion that this Blueprint conflicts with the
rules, but am hard pressed to press the issue right now.  Unfortunately
(IMO), it was Platonically destroyed or not destroyed when it was
created, unlike the old system that required a CFJ.  Perhaps I will submit
a CFJ with no reasoning.  The real answer, though, is to fix Blueprint
precedence; to promote them to rules.  I remember this being kicked 
around awhile back, but don't remember what happened to it.

IAC, I think this Blueprint is a loophole machine waiting to happen,
and *hope* it exists ;-)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:44:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 139 (ThinMan)

Jul 18 20:43 EDT: -10 Niccolo Flychuck: deadbeat on CFCJ 139

Niccolo failed to respond, hence the CFJ is assigned to ThinMan

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 139
  Subject: Entity Manipulation
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (selected Jul 18, 1997, 20:43h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Chaos has committed a Crime.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Chaos attempted to zap the following entities with an Orbital Mind
Control Laser via the following action on July 14th:

- ---
> I offer /dev/joe Jephthah's Pride in exchange for the Collossus of
> Sardia, an Otzma Card type Go Fish, a Plunky Monkey Wrench, a Scroll of
> Crumble, and A$250.        Oh my, this is too good to pass up.        I am zapping /dev/joe with my Orbital Mind Control Laser for
the trade offer quoted above.
        *zot*
- ---

Now, its been alleged that this was in fact a Crime, due to the fact that
the Collossus of Sardia did not exist at the time, but were not here to
judge that.

It seems much more likely that the heinous crime of Zuriti'ili was comitted
in regards to these nefarious attempted entity manipulations.  Lets look
at the mysterious  circumstances surrounding this action:  1) The fabled
Collossus of Sardia mysteriously disappears.  2) The target is nothing but
charred remains in the afterlife.  3) The President (and defendant) is
making secret deals with his partner in crime to gerrymander him onto
the Supreme Court in exchange for supporting this underhanded entity
manipulation.

We know that the heinous crime of Zuriti'ili involves entities, but not
a prime number of entities.  The number of entities in question here
is 254 or 255, depending how you count.  It is also rumoured in the
ancient texts that a *zot* noise is involved, and that is the case here.

The Judge has no choice, given the overwhelming evidence presented, that
Chaos comitted the Crime of Zuriti'ili here on this day of July 14th.

Suggested Penalty:

A FINE of A$1150 -- known A$ value of the entities in question.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:53:41 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassador 

>I'd like to commend snowgod, et al on his fine job as Ambassador.
>If memory serves me correctly, the Ambassador's office was the
>longest continuously held office, since Apr or May 96.
>
>Malenkai

Thank you, Malenkai.  It occured to me earlier this week that I really had
been ambassador for a long time and that someone else might want to give
the job a go.  I think it was the term limits thing that got me going.

Mr. Luntic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:57:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Senate decisions (fwd)

Here are the results of the senate vote on Internomic proposals 342-345,
originally posted June 26th to the official list.  Looks like Mr. Lunatic
Fringe is a criminal again.

/dev/joe

Forwarded message:
> From owner-ackanomic  Thu Jun 26 10:50:18 1997
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Senate decisions
> To: ackanomic
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:50:04 -0500 (CDT)
> Content-Type: text
> 
> On the issue of making Agora an enemy of ackanomic, the senate has
> unanimously voted no.
> 
> On the internomic proposals, the senate has voted YES on 342
> (Niccolo Flychuck voted NO) and NO on 343-345 (Robert Sevin voted
> YES on 343; Vynd voted YES on 344; 345 was unanimous).
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:10:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postmaster request

> As yor-delegate, I am requesting a mailing list for the synod.  However, I
> realize /dev/joe is going soon and that this is probably more trouble than
> it's worth, so if its a hassle, please feel free to ignore this request.

As a test for anyone who wants to take over the postmaster office, set
up a mailing list for the synod, put all the delegates on it (Niccolo,
Mr. Lunatic, and Rex Mundi), and post the address here so people can start
using it, and post sub/unsub instructions.  A simple little list like that
is a good way to check out that majordomo (or whatever software you choose
to use) is working correctly and that you know how to use it.

The addresses are on the player name archive page,
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/playarch.html

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:49:00 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate decisions (fwd) 

>Here are the results of the senate vote on Internomic proposals 342-345,
>originally posted June 26th to the official list.  Looks like Mr. Lunatic
>Fringe is a criminal again.>> On the internomic proposals, the senate has
>voted

YES on 342
>> (Niccolo Flychuck voted NO) and NO on 343-345 (Robert Sevin voted
>> YES on 343; Vynd voted YES on 344; 345 was unanimous).
>>
>> /dev/joe
>>

Hmm, yeah, but then Vynd changed his vote.  I thought I remember cases in
the past where a senator was allowed to change his vote, so I figured this
was good.  Should I understand, then, that Vynd never changed his vote?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:56:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postmaster request

> > As yor-delegate, I am requesting a mailing list for the synod.  However, I
> > realize /dev/joe is going soon and that this is probably more trouble than
> > it's worth, so if its a hassle, please feel free to ignore this request.
> 
> As a test for anyone who wants to take over the postmaster office, set
> up a mailing list for the synod, put all the delegates on it (Niccolo,
> Mr. Lunatic, and Rex Mundi), and post the address here so people can start
> using it, and post sub/unsub instructions.  A simple little list like that
> is a good way to check out that majordomo (or whatever software you choose
> to use) is working correctly and that you know how to use it.
> 
> The addresses are on the player name archive page,
> http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/playarch.html

I could do this easily right now(it's basically what I did for the CPPIA
list), but I don't know how much longer I'm going to have access to
majordomo here.  If anyone was willing to install majordomo on their site,
though, I could certainly manage it remotely.

By the way, in the version of majordomo I'm using, it's easy to set a
default subject prefix for the list; that is, it could be configured to add
"Acka:" to the subject line of any message which did not contain it
already.  That would prevent some of the non-public actions which happened
recently.

Anyway, I think that I should now be able to maintain fairly constant email
access to Ackanomic.  If this address should go away, I can get access
through my wife's before I get another.  So apart from the Web-Harfer and
Postmaster Offices, which require a bit more than just an email account, I
would be willing to take over other offices, like Scorekeeper and
Bond-Harfer, which I should be able to accomplish with just email access
(and my own personal Linux box at home).  And if muppetlabs.com or
somewhere is willing to provide a remote platform, I could try doing the
other Offices remotely there.  I think it might be time for these
transitions to occur...though Bond-Harfer would work best after the next
bond cycle(this Monday, or next?), and Scorekeeper after the end of the
Cycle(which should be darned close, but harder to predict...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Laurie Anderson, John Giorno & William S. Burroughs:You're The Guy I Want To Spend My Money With
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Dragon Reborn
If you can survive death, you can probably survive anything.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:57:43 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate decisions (fwd)

> Hmm, yeah, but then Vynd changed his vote.  I thought I remember cases in
> the past where a senator was allowed to change his vote, so I figured this
> was good.  Should I understand, then, that Vynd never changed his vote?

Was the change publically knowable?  It seems that game custom is that
the result announced by the senate is the actual result; however, if
Vynd *did* in fact vote no, then the senate either collectively broke
rule 1001, or was in contempt (or both).  IAC, if this happened a fortnight
ago, I do not believe it matters, does it, except for the default going 
to Gaol.  In that case, illegal actions performed by senators in Gaol
will be retroactively patched assuming those sentences *ended* 14 days 
ago.  Does anyone wish to submit a CFJ on the matter?

Malenkai
who believes CFJs are the coolest part of a nomic game

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #205
*******************************