Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #201
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, July 17 1997        Volume 02 : Number 201

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:05:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum

> And so does the corresponding Treasure. 

That would be 171.  I will keep it on the treasure page until the
CFJ passes its appeal period (I had to unharf unharfed trinkets :(

> Well, I will reiterate the fact that I have(somewhere)a Contract which

Is anyone harfing contracts?  I sort of thought it was up to the
financier, since they were entities, but mabye I am responsible?  I
didn't do it because the rule was introduced while I was away, and I
missed some.  Perhaps contract harfer need be added to the list?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:11:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 436 (Dread Pirate Roberts)

Dread Pirate Roberts has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 436
  Subject: Pulse Entities
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Dread Pirate Roberts (selected Jul 16, 1997, 21:11h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Entity called the Pulse Shovel, owned by two-star, is not a Trinket.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

This Entity was created by self-deleting text in Proposal 2196 by two-star,
which was "two-star is ambushed by Thargoids, loses one point, and all
his gaol house rock shovels are converted into pulse shovels".  This was
an obvious emulation of the original text of "More Blatant Elitism".

So what happened with "More Blatant Elitism"?  "Military lasers", a
Trinket, was transformed into a "Pulse Laser", a gadget.  So obviously game
custom dictates that changing a Trinket(or class of Trinkets)with a
particular name into some Entity with another name does not necessarily
create a Trinket with that name.

Furthermore, how would this Trinket be created?  It would have be by
a Rule, since two-star did not personally create a Trinket called
"Pulse Shovel".  Rule 506 states "Other rules may also create and
bestow ownership of Trinkets, so long as the rule provides for naming,
describing, and valuing the Trinket."  I do not believe that the
self-deleting text in Proposal 2196 satisfies those conditions, even if
we are to assume that a Trinket is being created by it(which is nowhere
stated), since it does not provide for describing or valuing the Trinket.
(Unless it is assumed that the value and description of "Gaol House Rock
Shovel" is to be carried over, which I do not believe there is sufficient
precedent for.)

Thus all that two-star has in his position is a miscellaneous, nontradeable
entity named "Pulse Shovel".  It is not a Trinket, or a Gadget, or even a
Majik.  It has no function, and if it were given one(except possibly by
creation of a Blueprint)he would be guilty of Patent Infringement.  Good
luck getting rid of it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:18:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum

Malenkai wrote:
> Is anyone harfing contracts?  I sort of thought it was up to the
> financier, since they were entities, but mabye I am responsible?  I
> didn't do it because the rule was introduced while I was away, and I
> missed some.  Perhaps contract harfer need be added to the list?

I have a contracts web page, which does little more than list all the
activity related with this current batch of contracts (as opposed to the
old contracts from a year ago).  I haven't been particularly paying
much attention to see that the contracts are obeyed.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:22:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CG transfer

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > To:   Ackanomians
> > From: mr cwm
> > 
> > The Chartreuse Goose has been weighing on my mind, even though it doesn't
> > appear to have eaten much lately.  I transfer it to the single Active
> > Player with the lowest score, whom I believe to be Niccolo Flychuck.
> 
> Actually, Dread Pirate Roberts became active early this morning and gets
> the goose with a low score of 0.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

Heh, the Chartruse Goose, otherwise known as the Ackanomic Welcoming
Comittee.  Don't worry about taking care of the keys and such, DPR, cuz no
one else has recently either.

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:43:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Certainly Rule 1301 falls firmly under his supposed realm of expertise, 
> > and for not knowing it inside and out his title must be revoked.
> 
> Which reminds me.  The following game state actions are loose ends:
> 
> 1) Senate comment [?] on this Expert revocation provision

There is nothing in the rules that says the Senate has to act on anyone's
call for expert revocation.  The only statements in the rules on this
matter are that the Senate must announce their intention of doing so, and
then may vote on it, results to be announced publicly.  So while you can
encourage us to act on such an issue, it isn't required and I don't think
it should be considered a "loose end."  I will say that silence after this
long can probably be interrpreted as an answer.

> 2) The RuneMaker made some Oztma cards this month, or mabye last.  He
> has yet to commence an auction.  I forget if he is required to or not.
> 3) Mohammed started buliding a Spell Book of Chorg a *long* time ago.  It
> is probably done.  He is probably no longer Mohammed.
> 4) The Grab-a-Donkey results are long overdue in the CFJ 430 false thread.
> 5) The EBS that appears to be possessed by Niccolo was ephemeral from
> the SBoC; I do not believe it exists.
> 6) My records indicate that ''Round the Earth' did not publish in June,
> and that 'Steel Flea Gazette' did not publish in April.  I seem to 
> remember pointing this out at the time, but don't remember the resolution.
> Perhaps I missed an e-mail.  If /dev/joe could grep April's archives,
> I'd appreciate it -- I do not have the disk space on my system to download
> them (down to about 4 meg :( )  
> 
> It has come to my attention that some players are put off, offended,
> whatever, by these tracking sort of messages, or those 'that action
> fails' messages, or they feel the "tone" of these messages is 
> inappropriate.  No offense is intented at all, and if anyone has a
> suggestion as to how to improve the wording to be cooler, let me know.
> I apologize for any such message whose "tone" has offended anyone.  
> 
> It has also been suggested that I stop doing this (tracking and pointing
> stuff out), that I should think more in terms of a "substantive nomic" as
> opposed to a "procedural nomic".  I'll do that when the rules change, as
> far as I interpret the rules, it is part of my duty to track and post this
> stuff (or at least track it, posting it seems common sense though).
> 

I personaly am glad that Malenkai takes care of this kind of stuff.  I
have no problems with his tone, 99 % of the time anyway, and even less
problem with the content.  This kind of stuff is often minor in the short
term, but if we were to make it a policy of ignoring things Acka would
quickly go way out of whack.  Furthermore, it is his express duty as
Speaker to track the game state, and I shudder to think how difficult that
must be much of the time.

> Malenkai
> Speaker
> 

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:47:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction

> There is nothing in the rules that says the Senate has to act on anyone's
> call for expert revocation.  The only statements in the rules on this
> matter are that the Senate must announce their intention of doing so, and
> then may vote on it, results to be announced publicly.

I remember the last time the senate voted to vote on it.  IAC, it shall
be removed from the loose end list, as it seems, I guess, to be one of
those things that can be handled next century without the game state and
our view of it going out of sync.  In other words, the call for revocation
is not a change in the game state, at least that seems to be what this
says :)

Malenkai
not an expert on experts

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:08:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction

Malenkai wrote:
> The following game state actions are loose ends:
> 
> 1) Senate comment [?] on this Expert revocation provision

No senator has seen fit to call a vote on the expert revocation.
Note that the rules don't require the senate to vote on a revocation
requested by a player in the way they require the senate to vote on
requests for expert status, so we've just been watching the debate.
I believe there were actually two such requests recently, another
request to revoke snowgod's headwear expertise as well as one or
two requests to revoke Niccolo Flychuck's Org expertise.

There is also a senate vote on Guy Fawkes's confirmation.  One senator
has not yet voted.

> 2) The RuneMaker made some Oztma cards this month, or mabye last.  He
> has yet to commence an auction.  I forget if he is required to or not.

They were created July 10, 06:02 +0300.
OCID 134 untouch me
OCID 135 tactical retreat
OCID 136 share my expenses
OCID 137 map shard
OCID 138 untouch me

> 3) Mohammed started buliding a Spell Book of Chorg a *long* time ago.  It
> is probably done.  He is probably no longer Mohammed.

*June* 6, 23:31 -0500

> 4) The Grab-a-Donkey results are long overdue in the CFJ 430 false thread.

Round 10 started June 25.

> 5) The EBS that appears to be possessed by Niccolo was ephemeral from
> the SBoC; I do not believe it exists.

Fixed.  I have gotten into a habit of entering "ghost" entries at the bottom
of the entitylog for stuff that is known to be reversed at some future time.
For instance, if I put Mr. Lunatic Fringe in Gaol, the entry might look like:

Jul 10 01:23 EDT: +1 gaol Mr. Lunatic Fringe: for 3 days

and at the same time I'll put this:

Jul 13 01:23 EDT: -0 gaol Mr. Lunatic Fringe: release date

at the end of the entitylog, and when we reach that time, I'll change the
"-0" to a "-1" so he actually gets released.

I forgot to do this for the temporary EBS.

> 6) My records indicate that ''Round the Earth' did not publish in June,
> and that 'Steel Flea Gazette' did not publish in April.  I seem to 
> remember pointing this out at the time, but don't remember the resolution.
> Perhaps I missed an e-mail.  If /dev/joe could grep April's archives,
> I'd appreciate it -- I do not have the disk space on my system to download
> them (down to about 4 meg :( )  

Steel Flea Gazette was 18 minutes late with its April issue, and thus
went bust.  Only is and Round the Earth survived April.

The HTML Standard was created in May, which also saw one issue of is,
one of Round the Earth, and two issues of the defunct SFG (the late one
mentioned above and one on May 31.

In June, there was an issue of the HTML Standard, *another* issue of SFG
(the "A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why." issue),
and I think both is and Round the Earth collapsed.  My saved mail file on
newspapers only has 4 messages for june -- the HTML standard's issue,
the goofy SFG issue, the SFG issue reposted with Acka: in the subject line,
and breadbox's samizdat publication on thread splits.

So far in July, the Big White Gazette, a new newspaper, was created,
and it has published two issues.

In other words, Malenkai is right, but "is" also failed to publish.
If there was an issue of is in June I missed, please somebody point it out
to me; I can't really go looking for "is" in the full e-mail archives.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:11:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stuff

I am hearby founding a new Organization, it's name is Fort Knocks.

I am offering Fort Knocks all but A$151 of my A$.  This is either A$ 869
or A$1269, depending on certain CFJ results.

I suggest Fort Knocks accept this offer.  I approve the suggestion, and it
happens.

I'd set this up for the bot, but the ammount is indeterminate, and well,
I've forgotten how (if I ever knew, which is doubtful).

I'm now going to duck and cover.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:13:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  Lights are on...

While I thank Antimatter for the offer of eir "munchies and frinks for
the host",  I sadly cannot accept them at the moment.  I believe I am not
at home right now,  but at Mr.  Lunatic Fringe's,  wearing a silly toga
waiting to see who gets the ax.

Come to think of it,  since our esteemed murder party host is not
present,  but has instead gone to DSread Pirate Roberts housewarming
party,  I think I shall also attend.  I am taking my toga with me,  as I
do not wish to be left oput when MLF finally announces the poor departed.
 but I am going to wear my finest swashbuckling outfit;  which looks
rather ridiculous on an overweight three-foot gnome.

Voting Gnome
hoping the e doesn't trip over eir own sword on the way.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:13:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Patron of the arts

As Acka's original Non-Voting Player,  I wish to extend best wishes to
ben,  Acka's newest Non-Voting Player.  I know fiull well that different
Players get enjoyment from different aspects of the game,  not all
involving Proposals or the Ruleset.

In order to help ben enjoy eir little corner of Acka,  I would like to
establish myself as eir official Patron.  I will help em finance eir
Party Chess career,  seeing as my two Whamiols practically guarentee me
an income,  as long as there are people who are intrigued enough with our
little community to keep joining.

While I have no personal interest in Party Chess (I can't even keep all
the pieces straight),  if ben will keep me aprized of eir requirements as
to pieces and any fees,  I think my income will be sufficient to allow em
to play without fear of being disadvantaged in relationship to other
Players.

One last note to all you rule lawyers out there.  How can I get credit on
my Whamiols for Non-Voting Players like ben?  Not that I'm greedy.  ;)

Voting Gnome

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:56:27 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ack 

I am acking Odo's transferrence of a BV to me.  Don't know how they are
listed in the bot.  Thanks.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:55:43 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure

I am burying the Parka as a treasure.  This could be useful depending
on how Beldin's Pants is amended.

#transfer malenkai,buried : parka

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:57:34 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BWG

I am going to Zimbabwe, and playing Chartreuse Bagpipes while doing so.

"you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish"

I am offering 1 bonus vote and the Prosthetic Forehead Strider
gave to me to ThinMan for A$87.

stranded in Greenland
I hope to the verdant sea
for icebergs and ships

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:07:00 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum 

>
>Is anyone harfing contracts?  I sort of thought it was up to the
>financier, since they were entities, but mabye I am responsible?  I
>didn't do it because the rule was introduced while I was away, and I
>missed some.  Perhaps contract harfer need be added to the list?
>

I don't think it needs to be harfed.  If a player creates a contract, he
will most likely fulfill his obligations.  If he doesn't, and this
contrqact violation causes a loss to someone else, they will likely call a
CFCJ against that player.  If that doesn't happen, and no one notices or
cares if a contract is violated, I really dont think it matters then.  I
know this is contradictory to following every rule to a tee, but I also
think its more practical, pragmatic, and realistic.  I also thinks its more
for for everyone involved, and I would support any amendment to make a
system like this official.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:08:39 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 436 (Dread Pirate Roberts) 

>Dread Pirate Roberts has been picked.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Call For Judgment 436
>  Subject: Pulse Entities
>Initiator: Alfvaen
>    Judge: Dread Pirate Roberts (selected Jul 16, 1997, 21:11h EDT)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>The Entity called the Pulse Shovel, owned by two-star, is not a Trinket.
>
>Alfvaen's Reasoning:
>
>This Entity was created by self-deleting text in Proposal 2196 by two-star,
>which was "two-star is ambushed by Thargoids, loses one point, and all
>his gaol house rock shovels are converted into pulse shovels".  This was
>an obvious emulation of the original text of "More Blatant Elitism".
>
>So what happened with "More Blatant Elitism"?  "Military lasers", a
>Trinket, was transformed into a "Pulse Laser", a gadget.  So obviously game
>custom dictates that changing a Trinket(or class of Trinkets)with a
>particular name into some Entity with another name does not necessarily
>create a Trinket with that name.
>
>Furthermore, how would this Trinket be created?  It would have be by

{snip}

I think this should be ruled false.  Certainly all that happened was the
renaming of a trinket by a rule.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:45:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Duel (Mr. Lunatic Fringe)

Mr. Lunatic Fringe:

  As Malenkai's second, I hereby announce that he has challenged
you to a duel.  His reason for the challenge is that there has not
been enough food, frink, or corpses at the toga party/murder mystery
which was announced back on June 29th.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:43:08 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Contract & Treasure 

I am creating a contract (which I will call the you can't bury land
contract) with the following text:

The creator of this contract agrees to give 2 kaa of unocupied land to the
person who finds the buried treasure containing this contract.  This
contract will expire after its conditions have been fulfilled once.

I am signing this contract.

Now I'm burying the You can't bury land contract as treasure, ands
revealing the following portion of the map:

"Someone's going to die!  Whodonit?"

The following players have togas, and are thus eligible to search for this
treasure

Alfvaen
Malenkai
Breadbox
Karma
Voting Gnome
ThinMan
two-star
Techno

I will email private instructions to each player.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #201
*******************************