Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #200
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Wednesday, July 16 1997       Volume 02 : Number 200

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:05:18 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 431 (Niccolo Flychuck)

I am appealing this. It is not publicly knowable that ben has ever voted 
on a proposal, so by R 254, he cannot be active, but is pending instead. 
I do not dispute Alfvaen's reasoning, but it does not support the 
statement for this CFJ.

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> I accept this CFJ and judge it True.
> I accept Alfaven's reasoning.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > Niccolo Flychuck has been chosen.
> >
> > Clerk of the Courts
> > - ------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Call For Judgment 431
> > Subject: Names
> > Initiator: Alfvaen
> >   Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:11h EDT)
> > Judgement:
> >
> > Statement:
> >
> > Ben became an active player on July 2nd, 1997.
> >

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:16:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 431 (Niccolo Flychuck)

> I am appealing this. It is not publicly knowable that ben has ever voted 
> on a proposal, so by R 254, he cannot be active, but is pending instead. 
> I do not dispute Alfvaen's reasoning, but it does not support the 
> statement for this CFJ.

Thank you, O My Evil Twin.  I _meant_ "voting".  Honestly I did.  Can't
this be fixed by the Spelling Bee?  Obviously NF knew what I meant...:-/
Otherwise, I shall retract this CFj(if it's possible to do so if it's under
Appeal...)as having been written while under the influence of brain death.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Army of Lovers
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
We'll dance in the garden in torn sheets in the rain...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:37:52 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka : Odo - Bonus Votes giveaway

The Church of Odo is transferring 1 Bonus Vote to Mr. Lunatic Fringe
and 1 Bonus Vote to mr cwm.

Niccolo Flychuck
Church Founder

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:47:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 431 (Niccolo Flychuck)

Alfvaen wrote:
> Thank you, O My Evil Twin.  I _meant_ "voting".  Honestly I did.  Can't
> this be fixed by the Spelling Bee?  Obviously NF knew what I meant...:-/
> Otherwise, I shall retract this CFj(if it's possible to do so if it's under
> Appeal...)as having been written while under the influence of brain death.

Neither the verdict nor the appeal is official until Malenkai reposts it.
Retract the CFJ before that happens.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:48:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 431 (Niccolo Flychuck)

> Alfvaen wrote:
> > Thank you, O My Evil Twin.  I _meant_ "voting".  Honestly I did.  Can't
> > this be fixed by the Spelling Bee?  Obviously NF knew what I meant...:-/
> > Otherwise, I shall retract this CFj(if it's possible to do so if it's under
> > Appeal...)as having been written while under the influence of brain death.
> 
> Neither the verdict nor the appeal is official until Malenkai reposts it.
> Retract the CFJ before that happens.

Very well.  I am retracting CFJ 431.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Army of Lovers
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
I'm clinging to sanity by a thread.  Hand me those scissors.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:58:42 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> Hmmm.  So with the recent CFJ that ruled that the Beldin's Pants Rule did
> not destroy any trinkets from the Museum, what happens?  Do all of the
> trinkets thought destroyed come back into existence, or just the ones in
> the two-week retroactivity limit?
> 
> Most importantly, what happened to Beldin's Parka?  Since I created a new
> one and buried it, which would fail if it still existed...isn't this the
> kind of thing that the two-week limit was meant to deal with?  So it should
> only be the Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping and...was it the Loophole
> Surfboard the week before?
> 

I believe the statute of limitatations is set from the time your CFJ was 
posted; since that time we have been living in an unacknowledged thread 
split. Beldin's Parka still comes before the statute of limitations, but 
in addition to the others, non-entity 137 is plucked from the fate of, 
well, non-entityhood.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:34:22 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  more 

>I have written another article.  This one is much more interesting
>than the first, and has to do with honest-to-harf Real Life current
>events.  You can buy it for your Newspaper's exclusive use for A$40.
>
>--
>Chaos

Done.  It better be good though, Or I'll never buy an article again :)

Mr. Luatic Fringe

#transfer <r. Lunatic Fringe, Chaos : 50 A$ : Newspaper Purchase

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:20:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 431 (Niccolo Flychuck)

> Thank you, O My Evil Twin.  I _meant_ "voting".  Honestly I did.  Can't
> this be fixed by the Spelling Bee?  Obviously NF knew what I meant...:-/
> Otherwise, I shall retract this CFj(if it's possible to do so if it's under
> Appeal...)as having been written while under the influence of brain death.

The verdict is not publically knowable yet, therefore the retraction
occurs before the original verdict is delivered, and the appeal never
happened.

Malenkai
Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:39:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: well...

Chaos wrote:

> I am accepting Guy Fawkes' offer of one Go Fish card.  I am playing
> my newly acquired Go Fish Otzma Card to counter the Go Fish played on
> my Fix My Gadget card yesterday.

I believe this action is a Felony, and does not occur.  From rule 1240.1:

> 10. When a player has used an Otzma Card in a public forum, e may not
> use another Otzma Card in a public forum for three days. This section
> has no effect on Otzma Cards used on proposals.

I seem to recall Chaos playing a 'Fix My Gadget' recently.  This means the
OMCL never became unbroken.  This problem in the Otzma rules has been
lurking out there for a while, and has finally become relevent.  Of
course, this may be by design, in which case I think it would play
better with an exception made for conteractions.

The Go Fish rule does claim precedence over 1240.1,  However, I, in my
normal narrow precedence definition, do not feel there is a conflict 
between the two rules, as there is nothing in 1240.2 that conflicts
with the 3 day restriction provision, a general provision.  There was
another CFJ like this were that was found to be the case.

In any case, yesterday's OMCL trade was illegal anyway because as far as
my records go, I do not own an entity called "'Round the Earth".

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:46:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Alfvaen wrote:

>I will certainly put the Shed back on the ground if
>you wish.

Thank you very much.  (That's permission, if it need be given.)  The rate
of revolution has become dizzying on the end of this thether.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, /dev/joe wrote:

>Surprisingly, nobody complained about not being paid this month. :-)

Actually, I was kind of wondering when I was going to get billed for
goose-feed.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:34:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Entity questions

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, /dev/joe wrote:

>The number of Purple Robes of Justice shown on the PE page is zero, due to
>the one Purple Robe of Justice being unowned, since Bascule left the game
>while owning it.  It can be purchased by any player for A$182.

Thanks.  I do so.

- -mr cwm

#Award mr cwm : -A$182 : PRJ / July 16 1997
#Award mr cwm : +1 Purple Robe of Justice : / July 16 1997

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka : Odo - Bonus Votes giveaway

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>The Church of Odo is transferring 1 Bonus Vote to Mr. Lunatic Fringe
>and 1 Bonus Vote to mr cwm.
>
>Niccolo Flychuck
>Church Founder

Thank you.  I pass this Bonus Vote on to CarsesraC.

- -mr cwm

#Transfer mr cwm, Carsesrac: +1 Bonus Vote: / July 16 1997

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:43:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum

two-star wrote:
> Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> > 
> > Hmmm.  So with the recent CFJ that ruled that the Beldin's Pants Rule did
> > not destroy any trinkets from the Museum, what happens?
> > Most importantly, what happened to Beldin's Parka?  Since I created a new
> > one and buried it, which would fail if it still existed...

> I believe the statute of limitatations is set from the time your CFJ was 
> posted; since that time we have been living in an unacknowledged thread 
> split. Beldin's Parka still comes before the statute of limitations, but 
> in addition to the others, non-entity 137 is plucked from the fate of, 
> well, non-entityhood.

I don't believe the "statute of limitations" applies here.  In any case,
I believe the thread split has been acknowledged since Malenkai first
started killing stuff from the Museum; it just took a while for the
CFJ to be submitted.

From rule 713:

  If, however, the illegally or impossiblility of a publically knowable
  change to the game state goes unreported for at least 14 days, the action
  or inaction which caused that change is considered legal, but it is still
  a Crime.  The change is deemed to have occurred retroactively to the time
  of the attempt.  The preceeding does not apply to the case of events
  which occur automatically, but whose occurrance is not (or erroneously)
  reported [e.g., loss of the Great Trombone].  This paragraph has
  precedence over rule 103.

The "loss" of a trinket is an automatic event; Malenkai merely makes the
random choice of which trinket is destroyed, a choice which is nullified
if there is no trinket destroyed anyway, and the destruction was thus
reported erroneously.

The second Beldin's Parka thus failed to be created [Jun 30].

These trinkets are still in the Museum (value, donor) [date not destroyed]:
Beldin's Parka (A$7, two-star) [Jun 20]
Non-entity 137 (A$4, mr cwm) [Jun 27]
Loophole Surfboard (A$3195, in Malenkai Wing, Malenkai) [Jul 5]
The Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping (A$999, mr cwm) [Jul 12]

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:57:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RoJ 17

I was tying up some loose ends, and one seemes to have fragment 17 of the
Runestone of J(something) attached.  I let the last one go for 1pF of a
player with a positive score, and the speed of the response suggested that
was too little.  So I offer this fragment for 2 pF's of a Player with a
currently positive score.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RoJ 17

> I was tying up some loose ends, and one seemes to have fragment 17 of the
> Runestone of J(something) attached.  I let the last one go for 1pF of a
> player with a positive score, and the speed of the response suggested that
> was too little.  So I offer this fragment for 2 pF's of a Player with a
> currently positive score.

I'll buy it for 2 PFbreadbox.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket Creation

For no particular reason I hereby create a trinket named IWW, valued at
A$99, and described as anarcho-syndicalism.

Well, OK, the real reason is that I was contemplating, this morning, the
fact that most of our trinket descriptions seem to be visual, and was
wondering how non-visual one could get.

- -mr cwm

#Award mr cwm : +1 IWW : trinket creation / July 16 1997
#Award mr cwm : -A$99 : trinket creation / July 16 1997

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:09:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RoJ 17

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, breadbox wrote (after I wrote):

>> I was tying up some loose ends, and one seemes to have fragment 17 of the
>> Runestone of J(something) attached.  I let the last one go for 1pF of a
>> player with a positive score, and the speed of the response suggested that
>> was too little.  So I offer this fragment for 2 pF's of a Player with a
>> currently positive score.
>
>I'll buy it for 2 PFbreadbox.
>

Accepted.  It's in the mail.  (Maybe I should have gone for 3).

- -mr cwm

#Transfer mr cwm, breadbox : + 1 RoJ 17 : deal / July 16, 1997
#Transfer breadbox, mr cwm : +2 pFbreadbox : deal / July 16, 1997

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:50:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CG transfer

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

The Chartreuse Goose has been weighing on my mind, even though it doesn't
appear to have eaten much lately.  I transfer it to the single Active
Player with the lowest score, whom I believe to be Niccolo Flychuck.  This
costs me A$75, but hey, you try living with a Goose in a dangling shed.

#Transfer mr cwm, Niccolo Flychuck : +1 Chartreuse Goose : / July 16 1997
#Award mr cwm : -A$75 : de-goosing / July 16 1997
#Award Niccolo Flychuck : +A$75 : goosing :) / July 16 1997

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Evil Twin?

Assuming Niccolo Flychuck agrees, I become his Evil Twin, and he mine,
since I agree.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:27:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

mr cwm wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, /dev/joe wrote:
> 
> >Surprisingly, nobody complained about not being paid this month. :-)
> 
> Actually, I was kind of wondering when I was going to get billed for
> goose-feed.

#award mr cwm: -18 A$ : goose food july 7th

Alfvaen also has A$3 more than we thought because the second
creation of Beldin's Parka failed.  This doesn't affect Ben's or
Lipid's starting cash, but D.P.R.'s and Ace Rimmer's starting cash
is reduced A$1 each because of it.

#award Dread Pirate Roberts: -1 A$ : correction in starting cash
#award Ace Rimmer: -1 A$ : correction in starting cash

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:34:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: CG transfer

> To:   Ackanomians
> From: mr cwm
> 
> The Chartreuse Goose has been weighing on my mind, even though it doesn't
> appear to have eaten much lately.  I transfer it to the single Active
> Player with the lowest score, whom I believe to be Niccolo Flychuck.

Actually, Dread Pirate Roberts became active early this morning and gets
the goose with a low score of 0.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:48:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: donation

I am donating all my A$ to the church of Seleya.

(Whether this is 1244 or 844 A$ is yet to be determined by some CFJ.)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:48:26 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monopole

> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Alfvaen wrote:
> 
> >I will certainly put the Shed back on the ground if
> >you wish.
> 
> Thank you very much.  (That's permission, if it need be given.)  The rate
> of revolution has become dizzying on the end of this thether.

Okay.  I am removing the Gravitational Monopole from the AHOP(if it is
still attached there), and taking it to the Rotating Shed.  (Or is that
Revolving Shed?  MLAS.)  I am attaching the Gravitational Monopole to the
R...uh, spinning Shed(you know, the one that mr cwm lives in).

Hey, this worked last time, so you've got nothing to worry about!  I'm the
AckaPhysicist!  Only a 1 in 40 chance of failure!

I am now pressing the button.

Assuming that this works, who's next?  two-star?  AZTEC GOD?

(And if it doesn't work, I hereby volunteer in advance to sacrifice my
Wings in an attempt to bring the Shed back down to Earth...but of course it
worked, because I knew what I was doing.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Grant Lee Buffalo:We've Only Just Begun
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Suicidal twin kills brother by mistake.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A House Warming Party!

Trinkets and Limericks?  How can I resist.  I'll be there.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:48:44 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka archaeologist

I wish to ask if my trinket "kite mitt" value A($)150
could be magic?

- - karma (reading some rules)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:01:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum

> >From rule 713:
> 
>   If, however, the illegally or impossiblility of a publically knowable
>   change to the game state goes unreported for at least 14 days, the action
>   or inaction which caused that change is considered legal, but it is still
>   a Crime.  The change is deemed to have occurred retroactively to the time
>   of the attempt.  The preceeding does not apply to the case of events
>   which occur automatically, but whose occurrance is not (or erroneously)
>   reported [e.g., loss of the Great Trombone].  This paragraph has
>   precedence over rule 103.
> 
> The "loss" of a trinket is an automatic event; Malenkai merely makes the
> random choice of which trinket is destroyed, a choice which is nullified
> if there is no trinket destroyed anyway, and the destruction was thus
> reported erroneously.

Ah.  That makes sense.  I hadn't thought of that clause.

> The second Beldin's Parka thus failed to be created [Jun 30].

And so does the corresponding Treasure.  Well, I will reiterate the fact
that I have(somewhere)a Contract which states that I will give A$25 to
Beldin's Tailor(that's fnord, this week)if e changes "loses 1 trinket" to
"gains 1 trinket" in the Beldin's Pants rule.  Though I'm not sure if the
Museum can gain trinkets any more than it can lose them...

> These trinkets are still in the Museum (value, donor) [date not destroyed]:
> Beldin's Parka (A$7, two-star) [Jun 20]
> Non-entity 137 (A$4, mr cwm) [Jun 27]
> Loophole Surfboard (A$3195, in Malenkai Wing, Malenkai) [Jul 5]
> The Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping (A$999, mr cwm) [Jul 12]

I will update my unofficial trinket-tracking page accordingly.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Deacon Blue:The World Is Light By Lightning
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
This is the greatest thing since sliced toothpaste.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:25:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: more

> I am offering Chaos A$40 for exclusive use of this article in the next
> issue of the Big White Gazette.
	I accept this trade.
	The article will be coming shortly in private mail, Alfvaen.

- -- 
Chaos

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:31:42 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: more

> > I am offering Chaos A$40 for exclusive use of this article in the next
> > issue of the Big White Gazette.
> 	I accept this trade.
> 	The article will be coming shortly in private mail, Alfvaen.

Got it.  In case it hasn't gone through...

#transfer Alfvaen, Chaos: 40 A$: exclusive rights to an article

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Deacon Blue:The World Is Light By Lightning
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Yellow concepts wobble jaggedly.  --ascott

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:38:36 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A House Warming Party!

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:

> I would like to take a moment to announce a house warming part this
> week at
> my home, the Pirate Ship Revenge.  The festivities will begin this
> Thursday
> the 17th of July at 1pm Ackanomic time, and run well into the night.
> 
I will be pleased to attend.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:41:15 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : chess - R1230.21 Zombie - not a valid piece

The rules 1230.21 Zombie does not describe a PartyChessPiece. It specifies
that the Zombie is represented by the character Z, which is already
assigned by R1230.16 to Kamikaze. In such a case, only the lower numbered
rule is a valid PartyChessPieceDef rule. 

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire
Chess Expert

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:47:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

> I don't have the free time to be a Web-Harfer (or at least I can't
> commit to having that much free time in the coming months), but I do
> have the disk space. If someone *wants* to be Web-Harfer but doesn't
> have the necessary storage (due to quotas or whatever), we might be
> able to arrange a deal. Let me know.
	I would like to do the programming part of this.
	Actually keeping track of the rules is something I won't have
time for after August.

- -- 
Chaos

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:02:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2216

> I seem to recall that Acrobot doesn't run constantly, but only when...uh...
> Chaos...
	You may call me Lord Chaos if you prefer.

> boots up his computer, or when it gets activated to process other
> stuff.  Send in some votes by email, or a proposal or something.  I've got
> a Modest one I was going to send off, so maybe that'll trigger it.
	It takes two quick mail messages to flush the bot's proposal
queue.  I'm constantly forgetting this myself and worrying about lost
mail and why the bot isn't doing this or that yet.
	Actually, since I have three days to do everything I prefer
for the bot to run at least a few hours later than it might, so I have
a chance to fix things if I happen to notice them in time.  This only
happens occasionally, but what the heck...

[The way it's worded in the bot is something like

	for event in bot.event_queue:
	    if event.time < bot.last_update:
		event.happen()
		bot.event_queue.remove(event)
	bot.last_update = time()

as you can see, a single message won't do it.]

- -- 
Chaos
Oh no, not plumbers!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ross Morgan-Linial <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I will be on vacation and away from all computers for the next week, so I
am putting myself on Vacation with an expected date of return of the 24th.
To keep my mailbox from overflowing, I'm also going to be unsubscribing
from the list later today.

Antimatter
hoping he doesn't go through computer withdrawal

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jul 1997 16:57:02 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Museum 

My interpretation on the Beldin's Parka CFJ is that (_if_ it is not
overturned) all entities destroyed from the Museum should come back.
The two week retroactivity limit does not apply to automatically
generated changes to the game state -- the example given in the ruleset
is finding or losing the Great Trombone.  The action of the Rules on a
non-player entity such as the Museum and its contents is about as close
to an automatically generated change to the game state as I can think
of.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jul 1997 17:10:48 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 138 (Guy Fawkes) 

I accept.

GF

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jul 1997 17:23:42 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: SBoC 

I am reading the next page of the SBoC.  In a promising sign, it
vanishes in a light green flash.  (page 9)

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 18:19:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum

> My interpretation on the Beldin's Parka CFJ is that (_if_ it is not
> overturned)

I have been seriously considering an appeal.  However, I prolly won't
have the time, so if you want to, GFI.  (Of course, I have not confirmed
in my own mind that an appeal is appropriate, but I feel it is a very
important CFJ in that it seems to say things about game custom scope).

This is one case where a Justice *can* appeal to himself, assuming you
are confirmed sometime after the appointment, and assuming you wish to
appeal. :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:25:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Personal Info

> Several people guessed. IIRC, no one got it. I will still accept guesses,
> provided they consist of *only* the two sports you're guessing. No more
> hints, either. FWIW, there are probably easier ways of getting a
> PFAntimatter...
	Would you tell us the answer in exchange for a PFAntimatter?

- -- 
Chaos

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:32:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion III

> (Chaos, then known as Mohammed, wrote):
> > I am changing my name from Mohammed to Chaos.
> 
> Any particular reason?

Rule 1322/1 
Doomsday! Part II

All hell shall hereby break loose. Chaos shall reign until June 8,
2001, [...]

- -- 
Chaos
One tall Martian spat at squids mercilessly.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:36:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Digestion III

> Does this strike anyone else as similar to [The Supremes:  Yesterday]? I
> mean, Route 66 has to be 40 years old (the song, not the road).  I,
> personally, associate it with The Rolling Stones, but I heard some light
> jazz version once which I'm sure is older and more ... closely identified
> with the artist. 
	The Cure's remake of Purple Haze remains the most unnecessary
piece of music of all time.  :o)  No offense.

- -- 
Chaos
rather fond of Disintegration  :o)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:45:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  question

Does anyone know how to interpret this (from rule 1240.1, section V.5)?

5. When a player uses an Otzma Card on a proposal, and the proposal is
retracted, the Otzma Card is destroyed.

It can be read as "When a player uses an Otzma Card on a proposal, and
the proposal is later retracted, the Otzma Card is destroyed."  but
actually Otzma Cards are destroyed when they are played (1240.1:V.2)

It can also be read as "When a player uses an Otzma Card on a proposal
that is already retracted, the Otzma Card is destroyed."  Which would
make more sense (I guess) but is more of a stretch of normal English
semantics.

Either way, could we maybe do without this provision?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:02:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Saving my Soul

First, I am converting the Man Thin to cash (sorry, I don't remember the
destroy trinket syntax, and cannot find it in my bot help text).

Then, feeling rather pious lately, I am donating all of my A$ to the Church 
of Seleya.  Hopefully the donation will go to help the needy someday, or to
buy some of those really cool looking old books.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 18:14:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction

> > snowgod wrote:
> > > > I am giving two bonus votes to the church of  Odo in the wormhole.
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck replied:
> > > On behalf of the Church of Odo, I ack this, if I need too.
> > 
> > I request that the Senate vote to revoke Niccolo's title of Expert in
> > thefield of "Organizations and Institutions".  The statement above
> > not only reveals Niccolo's ignorance of the rule detail in question,
> > but also demonstrates a reluctance to tackle the rules and find out.
> 
> The conditional has nothing to do with the rules for Organizations, it has
> to do with the wretched mob and red tape of rules for transfer of
> entities, of which I am certainly not an Expert, not have I ever claimed
> to be.

The "wretched mob and red tape" Mr Flychuck describes is, I assume,
Rule 515 (Trading and Gifts).  The rule is 359 words long.  (By
comparison, subsection III.4 alone of the Otzma Card rule is 490 words
long.  And the Synod rule, R1303, weighs in at 1,119 words.)  Any
suggestions on how to make it simpler will get nothing but
encouragement from me, but it seems manageable as it is.

The rule concerning Church trading is 1301 (>800 words).  No other
rule appears to talk about it at all, so I assume what it means is
that the Church can trade entities with other Organizations or
Players, either in the way defined in R515, or in the normal English
sense of mutual agreement or barter (fortunately the two meanings are
very close.)  R1301 is a bit unclear on the topic.

Yadda yadda yadda.  But anyway, I feel the very fact that our resident
"Expert" has not commented on this is evidence that he didn't know
about it and didn't bother to look it up.  :o)  Certainly Rule 1301
falls firmly under his supposed realm of expertise, and for not
knowing it inside and out his title must be revoked.

- -- 
Chaos
obviously a little bored :o)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:36:41 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction

> Certainly Rule 1301 falls firmly under his supposed realm of expertise, 
> and for not knowing it inside and out his title must be revoked.

Which reminds me.  The following game state actions are loose ends:

1) Senate comment [?] on this Expert revocation provision
2) The RuneMaker made some Oztma cards this month, or mabye last.  He
has yet to commence an auction.  I forget if he is required to or not.
3) Mohammed started buliding a Spell Book of Chorg a *long* time ago.  It
is probably done.  He is probably no longer Mohammed.
4) The Grab-a-Donkey results are long overdue in the CFJ 430 false thread.
5) The EBS that appears to be possessed by Niccolo was ephemeral from
the SBoC; I do not believe it exists.
6) My records indicate that ''Round the Earth' did not publish in June,
and that 'Steel Flea Gazette' did not publish in April.  I seem to 
remember pointing this out at the time, but don't remember the resolution.
Perhaps I missed an e-mail.  If /dev/joe could grep April's archives,
I'd appreciate it -- I do not have the disk space on my system to download
them (down to about 4 meg :( )  

It has come to my attention that some players are put off, offended,
whatever, by these tracking sort of messages, or those 'that action
fails' messages, or they feel the "tone" of these messages is 
inappropriate.  No offense is intented at all, and if anyone has a
suggestion as to how to improve the wording to be cooler, let me know.
I apologize for any such message whose "tone" has offended anyone.  

It has also been suggested that I stop doing this (tracking and pointing
stuff out), that I should think more in terms of a "substantive nomic" as
opposed to a "procedural nomic".  I'll do that when the rules change, as
far as I interpret the rules, it is part of my duty to track and post this
stuff (or at least track it, posting it seems common sense though).

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:49:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Samizdat Press 

Not as cool as breadbox.  Not even our own material.  Since
'Round the Earth was forced out of business by a certain 
BWG provision, we've been forced to scrounge are material from
the lowest rung of the social ladder.  Here we present an EXCLUSIVE
editorial by our BUAG-WG Prez on the subject of the Synod, and
less importantly, the abstract concepts behind the real issue
here:

Our President, Chaos, speaks:

[Exclusive to this publication, which has been around the Earth for awhile
now]

- ---

On Good Government and the Ackanomic Way
by Chaos, President of Ackanomic

The beauty of an economy is the beauty of chaos.  Complex player
interaction arises chaotically from simple rules.

Seen in this light, the Synod doesn't give Acka an economy any more
than an unnecessary subway system would make a little town of 157
residents a booming metropolis.  In fact, it's rather the opposite.  A
relatively complex and specialized rule leads to relatively simple and
uninteresting player interaction.  (But, if a group of Churches were
to build Synod on their own using the more primitive tools at their
disposal, Contracts and Organizations, that would be interesting.
That's the kind of behavior that typifies an economy.)

Let me take a different-- and seemingly contradictory-- approach to
this issue.

I think good government researches ideas and gets things to happen a
bit sooner than they would otherwise, with less risk to individual
citizens.  A good government will go ahead and start up a Synod-like
thing a little before its time, work out the bugs, and show that it
works and is fun (or doesn't and isn't, as I suspect.)

Right now Synod is far, far ahead of its time.  I don't think such an
Organization will work and be profitable on its own until Acka has at
least 75 players.  But since the rule could have lain dormant
indefinitely, causing negligible extra labor, that's no reason to kill
Synod now.

My real argument against Synod is that I don't want Acka to be a "good
government".  Instead of smoothing the path for its players, Acka
should force the players to assume all the risk on their own.
Otherwise, where's the heroism?

What fun is it to use Contracts for something when Synod is there?  If
Synod backfires, a modest proposal will fix it and restore your assets
(because people will vote to fix a broken rule.)  If a Contract
backfires, you're on your own-- it is very unlikely people will vote
for a proposal to reimburse you.  Thus, in my mind, the Synod reduces
your risk and therefore decreases the fun of the game.

This is also why I'm against medium-level checks against officers.  It
should be all or nothing-- impeach the bum or let him push the limits
of his powers.  A check on his powers, short of impeachment, is boring
because it decreases the risk involved (a) for the public, in giving
him the office, and (b) for the officer, when he decides to do
something a little risky.

Risk is one of the elements that makes a good game great.  The thrill
of knowing something bad is about to happen-- has happened-- only adds
to the excitement of trying to work around it.  So why, in the few
cases where Acka gives itself elements analogous to those in various
real-life governments, do we try to be a good government?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:01:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 433 Verdict

CFJ 433 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 433
  Subject: More rule 597 stuff
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Rex Mundi (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:17h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The legality of the Mad Scientist's posting sentences which are valid
Frankenstein Parts cannot be determined until the Frankenstein Monster
Blueprint is complete.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

To determine whether such an action is legal or illegal, it would be
necessary for the Judge to determine whether or not the sentence was,
in fact, a part of the BUC.  But it is illegal for the Mad Scientist to
share that information, so the Judge cannot determine whether or not
such an action is illegal.

Rex Mundi's Reasoning:

I agree with Alfvaen's reasoning.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:12:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 434 (Vynd)

I accept.

                             - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:56:17 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: GM random determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# I am using the dice server to determine Alfvaen's latest attempt
# at using the GM.  Failure is on a 1 (or 2 if he is judged to not
# have the Ackaphysicist skill
# Malenkai

No. of sides on every die:     40
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     30

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Wed Jul 16 17:56:02 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id RAA23791 for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:56:02 -0700
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma023788; Wed Jul 16 17:56:00 1997
> Received: from ppp120.itw.com (ppp120.itw.com [206.138.122.120]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id UAA24538 for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:55:57 -0400
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:52:35 -0400
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; I; 16bit)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: f
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 40
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: GM random determination
> 
> #C I am using the dice server to determine Alfvaen's latest attempt
> #C at using the GM.  Failure is on a 1 (or 2 if he is judged to not
> #C have the Ackaphysicist skill
> #C Malenkai

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBM81tsT8NitsTFjcVAQFuXAQAxrrHh1BaCmm0FPIp7jbv5z1rSUAsYwfo
bzRk8mSzs6bMy3v/RiklrTe2ZVBAjHRhDKgXL0WcMNsf4ORReXGthzoPwksdwpiF
DfzmDABfHNZtvzRJPZ02zRo/eYK6V2T2KUz8stKQhakMNincHe6sA28pN1nCorRU
49qjhMjzfls=
=itH6
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #200
*******************************