Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #198
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Tuesday, July 15 1997        Volume 02 : Number 198

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 15 Jul 1997 15:00:42 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: actions... 

Well, it comes down to this.

I am taking all A$ in my possession, and using it to create a trinket
called the Big Piggy Bank.  It it a large clay model of a pig, about 2.3
meters tall at the shoulder.  It has an odd grin on its face, as if it
is entirely aware as to the effect its presence has on the game state.

The value of this Trinket is, naturally, equal to the number of A$ in my
possession immediately before its creation.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:07:51 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  more

> I have written another article.  This one is much more interesting
> than the first, and has to do with honest-to-harf Real Life current
> events.  You can buy it for your Newspaper's exclusive use for A$40.

I am offering Chaos A$40 for exclusive use of this article in the next
issue of the Big White Gazette.  Sight-unseen.  And in keeping with my
editorial policy up to now, I imagine it'll be out before the end of the
month.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Billy Joel:Piano Man
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
yip! yip! yip! yap! yap! yip! *BANG* -- NO TERRIER

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:29:11 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  more

Alfvaen wrote:

> yip! yip! yip! yap! yap! yip! *BANG* -- NO TERRIER
> 
ROFL!

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:19:02 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

> > I am currently more-or-less HTML-inept, which restricts my capabilities
> > with regard to said offices.  That being said, however, I think I am
> > qualified at least to harf the undead.  I would recommend that whoever
> > wants to harf bonds would do well to be the Scorekeeper, too, although
> > it is not necessary.  I probably have access to personal WWW space and
> > to the university's Majordomo server, but I will have to figure out
> > how to use each of these if I am to take over the relevant offices.

I will, at the very least, be retaining some sort of net access, barring
complete disaster, so maybe I should move in on Scorekeeper and
Bond-Harfer, which don't require a bunch of web space.  (But see below...)

> 	I would like to harf the ruleset but I will be returing to
> school this fall and will never find the time.  I've written a python
> script that should make ruleset-harfing a great deal easier.  (This is
> the script that harfs my new Blueprints page.)

I wonder if to some extent the Web-Harfer duties could be divided up.  This
could be problematic if not everyone that would otherwise be able to perform
an offices' duties can put up web pages, but if the Scorekeeper kept the
Score page, the Trinket-Harfer the Trinkets page, a Rule-Harfer office the
Ruleset(and Proposals?), Financier the PE page, etc....  The Web-Harfer
could then maintain just the pages that the Officers themselves were unable
to.  Of course, this means more Offices, which is not necessarily a good
thing.  Ideally, all Offices, or at least Functional Offices, should have a
rougly equal workload, so if there's more work, there should be more
Offices to divide it among.

> 	Alfvaen agreed to take Financier.  His database would be my
> python database and he would manipulate it by mail.  I'm not sure what
> the status on this is now.

I did agree to take Financier, but I think at the time I wasn't thinking of
all of /dev/joe's Offices.  :-/  I could try this one, but I wouldn't
refuse if someone else asked for it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Billy Joel:Piano Man
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
But that's just a bunch of water underneath this bridge I've burned

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benjamin Good <[email-masked]>
Subject: A$ and party chess 

Excerpts from mail: 14-Jul-97 Ackanomic Digest V2 #195 by Ackanomic
[email-masked] 
> (Niccolo Flychuck wrote, in response to Ben):
> > Note that you will some source of income. Chess pieces cost A$. You get
> > five three ones, and you acquire more by Capturing them.
> 
> ("three"->"free"?)  Hmmm...is there a way for a non-voting chess-player to
> get money just from playing chess?  Maybe some of our tax-shelter people
> should make a donation.  :-)
> 

uh oh.  does this mean that other players can obtain A$ in other areas
of ackanomic and then use them in party chess?  does this mean that i
would have a significant disadvantage, as a party chess player, if i
don't get involved in the rest of ackanomic?  

ben 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:57:30 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: P2216

tap, tap, tap...

Okay, where are the results of P2216?

ThinMan
Impatient

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:02:49 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A$ and party chess

> uh oh.  does this mean that other players can obtain A$ in other areas
> of ackanomic and then use them in party chess?

Apparently it does.

> does this mean that i
> would have a significant disadvantage, as a party chess player, if i
> don't get involved in the rest of ackanomic?  

That's not necessarily true, but since I don't play Party Chess I'm not
sure.  You get a number of pieces upon becoming a Swinger anyway, and I
don't know how often other players buy pieces, so I don't know if that
would change the balance of the game significantly.

Maybe you should get a corporate sponsor.  Ask RexBank to sponsor you.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Pretty In Pink Soundtrack
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Ketchup and chocolate.  It's a bad idea.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:04:22 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2216

> tap, tap, tap...
> 
> Okay, where are the results of P2216?

I seem to recall that Acrobot doesn't run constantly, but only when...uh...
Chaos...boots up his computer, or when it gets activated to process other
stuff.  Send in some votes by email, or a proposal or something.  I've got
a Modest one I was going to send off, so maybe that'll trigger it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Pretty In Pink Soundtrack
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Take my advice.  I'm not using it at the moment, anyway.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 18:45:27 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Potato + Aliens

fnord, who seems to be an entity magnet lately, has found the
magic potato.

Aliens:
78
159
1919

None of these are rules or prime.  The alien clause of rule 511 does
not apply.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:50:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A House Warming Party!

> I would like to take a moment to announce a house warming part this
> week at my home, the Pirate Ship Revenge.  The festivities will
> begin this Thursday the 17th of July at 1pm Ackanomic time, and run
> well into the night.  Please RSVP before midnight Wednesday by
> posting a public message stating that you will be attending.

I will be attending.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:59:48 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

> From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries
> Date: 15 July 1997 22:19
[snip]
> I wonder if to some extent the Web-Harfer duties could be divided up. 
This
> could be problematic if not everyone that would otherwise be able to
perform
> an offices' duties can put up web pages, but if the Scorekeeper kept the
> Score page, the Trinket-Harfer the Trinkets page, a Rule-Harfer office
the
> Ruleset(and Proposals?), Financier the PE page, etc....  The Web-Harfer
> could then maintain just the pages that the Officers themselves were
unable
> to.  Of course, this means more Offices, which is not necessarily a good
> thing.  Ideally, all Offices, or at least Functional Offices, should have
a
> rougly equal workload, so if there's more work, there should be more
> Offices to divide it among.
> 
If this were to happen I could maybe do web-harfing. Frankly I doubt I'm
qualified to do much else, due to my recent arrival and unfamiliarity with
the ruleset, but I do have 5Mb webspace I could use for this. 
Hmm, probably not all that useful. Still, the offer stands.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:04:00 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: A$ and party chess

[snip]
> Maybe you should get a corporate sponsor.  Ask RexBank to sponsor you. 
:-)

Why not. I could give some of any profits I might get from the Synod if you
wear my t-shirt and hat and sell me your soul, or whatever. 
Well, okay, the hat might be a bit much ;-).

Rex Mundi, on behalf of RexBank.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 19:14:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  House

I am changing the name of my house to "The Hollow Log",  a much more
fitting place for a gnome to live.

It's description follows:
On the outside,  The Hollow Log is a fallen tree,  approximately twelve
(12) feet long and four (4) feet in diameter at its base.  It tapers to
approximately eight (8) inches in diameter at the far end.  The base has
been hollowed out to provide an entryway to the interior.

The inside of The Hollow Log is comprised of an infinite number of rooms
jutting off an infinitely long coridor.  Each room in The Hollow log is
connected to all other rooms by either a doorway,  the main hallway,  a
secret passage,  or a combination of all three.  Some,.  but not all
rooms have the peculiarly bad habit of changing shape as well as contents
seemingly at random.  All inside doors in The Hollow Log are locked;  but
may be unlocked by the owner of the Hollow Log or by using the Keys to
the Chalice Vault,  if such manipulation is allowed by Rules.  All
Players of Ackanomic are welcome to visit The Hollow Log at any time, 
provided they bring munchies and frinks for the host.

Voting Gnome

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

> The more important thing to note here is that there are A$150/month
> worth of offices I will resign from before the end of the month.
> Alfvaen doesn't know what sort of access he will have and Guy Fawkes
> can't help until about a month later.  We need some volunteers here.

I can't make it official right now, but I think I might be able to
volunteer for the position of Postmaster.

Muppetlabs is a small, semi-private box which is managed by my friends
as a sort of hacker's paradise. (Heh.) Furthermore, it is already
being used for one or two critical operations, so it is very reliable.
(I think it's been rebooted twice in the last twelve months.)

I'll have to discuss it with them to make sure they're okay with
having Muppetlabs take on this workload, but this is a job I would be
willing to do.

> "Volunteers!  We need volunteers!  Soldiers to meet them.
> Have no fear.  Have no fear.  You will be killed right away."

rotfl

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:20:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Salaries

> I wonder if to some extent the Web-Harfer duties could be divided
> up.  This could be problematic if not everyone that would otherwise
> be able to perform an offices' duties can put up web pages.

Here's another interesting idea.

I don't have the free time to be a Web-Harfer (or at least I can't
commit to having that much free time in the coming months), but I do
have the disk space. If someone *wants* to be Web-Harfer but doesn't
have the necessary storage (due to quotas or whatever), we might be
able to arrange a deal. Let me know.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ross Morgan-Linial <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  House

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

// All
// Players of Ackanomic are welcome to visit The Hollow Log at any time, 
// provided they bring munchies and frinks for the host.

I am creating a trinket called "muncies and frinks for the host", worth
A$3. It is a small paper bag which apparently contains an unlimited supply
of soda cans and serving-size bags of potato chips, although it might not
really. If you look at it and squint really, really hard, you can kind-of
sort-of almost see the caviar and champagne it doesn't contain.

#trinket Antimatter:muchies and frinks for the host:3

I am going to the Hollow Log, and offering Voting Gnome some munchies and
frinks. If he demonstrates it, I will admire his Gnomish ability to
squint.

Antimatter
Planning on staying

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:50:02 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A House Warming Party!

> I would like to take a moment to announce a house warming part this week
at
> my home, the Pirate Ship Revenge.  The festivities will begin this
Thursday
> the 17th of July at 1pm Ackanomic time, and run well into the night.
> Please RSVP before midnight Wednesday by posting a public message stating
> that you will be attending.  Anyone who RSVP's in time has my permission
to
> come aboard for the party.

I'll be there.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:00:17 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 423 Verdict

CFJ 423 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 423
  Subject: Questioning the strength of established game custom
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: two-star (selected Jul 07, 1997, 19:02h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The Loophole Surfboard was not destroyed by the Beldin's Pants rule.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

The Rule states that the recipient of Beldin's Parka loses one trinket
every week.  I question a)whether or not the Museum can really be a
"recipient", and b)whether or not the Museum can really "lose" trinkets.
Basically, these rest on the fact that the Museum does not _own_ trinkets,
but is a Location where trinkets can be placed, and happens to be specially
allowed to be a Location for unowned trinkets(that do not then go to the
Treasury or Somewhere Else).  If this is the case, then I submit that one
or both of questions a) and b) must be answered "no".

two-star's Reasoning:

There is no definition in the rules, nor any game custom regarding the
definition of "recipient" as used in Beldin's Pants. Therefore I must
fall back on standard English usage. R850 (Museum) states: "A player may
donate any Gadget, Trinket, or Prosthetic Forehead that they own to the
Museum, by going there and publically announcing which object(s) they
are donating." It seems reasonable to consider the Museum the recipient
of such a trinket, even if the museum does not become its owner.

Next, What does it mean to say the museum "loses" a trinket? The game
custom of the loss of the inky bloater decoys, does not directly apply,
since the inky bloater decoys became unowned when they were lost, and
the museum inventory is already unowned. The Museum rule provides no
guidance here, unlike the "recipient" case: the only relevant line
concerning items ceasing to be on display in the Museum is:
"Objects may not be removed or stolen from the Museum except as
described by the rules."
which begs the question of whether Beldin's pants describes such a
thing. While English usage would seem to imply that "lost" trinkets are
removed from the Museum, I do not think that the case is strong enough
as to be unambiguous. Perhaps they are transfered to the McCumber Annex.
The inky bloater decoy custom also serves to undermine this
interpretation, since it strengthens a definition of to lose (i.e. to
cease ownership,) which is not relevant here. Since it could not have
been known that the Beldin's Pants rule would be applied to the Museum
when is was amended to include the word "lose," it seems that the word
"lose" in Beldin's Pants should be considered to only have this
definition in the absence of any other guidance from the rules or game
custom.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:01:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 428 Verdict

CFJ 428 has been judged TRUE

Clerk of the Courts

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 428
  Subject: Conventional English Morphology V
Initiator: breadbox
    Judge: AZTEC G0D (did not respond)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (assigned Jul 14, 1997, 8:08h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The trinket "Malenkai-run Office", created by breadbox, is a Forgery.

breadbox's Reasoning:

Malenkai is the name of a player. The real question, however, is
whether the name is still a separate word in the eyes of Rule 506
when it is connected to an adjective by a hyphen.

ThinMan's Comments:

My own (limited) research confirms the results /dev/joe published in
his CFJ 426 comments.  My understanding of morphology in linguistics,
then, is that it is the way in which morphemes are combined to form
words.  Morphemes are the smallest independant words and word parts
that have individual meaning (i.e. run, -s, -er, pre-, etc.).  The
word Malenkai-run is indeed, IMO, a single (compound) word.  It
appears to me that the addition of "-run" qualifies as a morphological
change.  And as /dev/joe pointed out, it is a morphological
construction of a type in general usage in the English language.  Is
that sufficient to establish convention?  It is a matter of judgement,
my judgement is that yes, "Malenkai-run" is derived from "Malenkai" by
a conventional English morphological change, thus the trinket in
question is a forgery.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:11:27 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 431 (Niccolo Flychuck)

Niccolo Flychuck has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 431
  Subject: Names
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:11h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Ben became an active player on July 2nd, 1997.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Here is the relevant paragraph of Rule 252:

   A person wishing to join the game, and who cannot do so as a
   Returning player, should notify the Registrar, providing a valid
   email address, their real name, and the legal Ackanomic name they
   wish to play under.  Upon them providing this information, should
   the requested name indeed be a legal Ackanomic name, the Registrar
   shall post a public message announcing the new player and providing
   their Ackanomic name, real name, and email address, and if the
   prospective player provided it, how they discovered the game. Upon
   the posting of such an announcement, the person becomes registered
   as a player.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe, the Registrar, did indeed post a public message
providing Ben's real name, email address, and an Ackanomic name.  The first
sentence of the paragraph says that a person wishing to join the game
_should_ provide a name they wish to play under.  The question is whether
or not game custom allows the Registrar to choose a provisional name for a
player who does not provide an Ackanomic name.

Or is it the phrasing of the conditional clause in the second sentence?
Would "should the requested name indeed be a legal Ackanomic name" be
invalid if "the requested name" does not exist, thus negating the rest of
that sentence, and making the announcement invalid?

The fact that, upon receiving an email from "Benjamin Good" to join the
game, Mr. Lunatic Fringe attempted to create a player named "Ben", perhaps
he perceived an implied name request, which has been validated by the fact
that "Ben" did indeed choose that name for emself.  The assumption that
"Ben" was not chosen comes from Mr. LF's phrasing, "Ackanomic name Ben
until he changes it".  The fact is, aren't all of our names "until we
change them"?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:14:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 432 (Karma)

Karma has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 432
  Subject: The Trouble with Lushrike
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Karma (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:14h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Alfvaen must add to the Blueprint-Under-Construction for Lushrike any parts
submitted to Vynd while Vynd was Acting Mad Scientist.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Heck, I have no idea.  If I knew, I probably wouldn't be submitting this.
For instance, Rule 597 says "The Mad Scientist must attach all parts to the
Blueprint-Under-Construction".  Can Vynd do that if I've got the only copy
of the BUC(which I'm fairly sure I can't show to him, because it's
illegal)?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:18:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 433 (Rex Mundi)

Rex Mundi has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 433
  Subject: More rule 597 stuff
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Rex Mundi (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:17h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The legality of the Mad Scientist's posting sentences which are valid
Frankenstein Parts cannot be determined until the Frankenstein Monster
Blueprint is complete.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

To determine whether such an action is legal or illegal, it would be
necessary for the Judge to determine whether or not the sentence was,
in fact, a part of the BUC.  But it is illegal for the Mad Scientist to
share that information, so the Judge cannot determine whether or not
such an action is illegal.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:21:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 434 (Vynd)

Vynd has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 434
  Subject: Private E-mail
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Vynd (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:21h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

If a CFCJ is made against the Mad Scientist alleging that e distributed a
Frankenstein Part through private email or by some other non-public means,
a Judge cannot necessary rule on it with finality.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

What this rests on is the privacy of the medium.  I feel that it is
impossible to legislate all possible non-public means of sharing
information.  Furthermore, for most such methods there is little or no
evidence that the sharing took place.  A private email message can always
be forwarded to the Judge, of course, but there is no assurance of
authenticity without a PGP signature, since such a document could
theoretically be forged.

In the specific case of Frankenstein Parts, it may seem evident that once
the final Blueprint can be consulted, it should be evident whether or not
the Part could have been knowable by the player without them having
received a private email from the Mad Scientist; but the possibility of a
lucky guess cannot be ruled out.

This verdict should also apply to judgements on other knowledge which is
forbidden to be distributed, such as the Truth of the Machine.  (And
possibly Church Policy, but that's probably another kettle of fish
entirely.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:24:19 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 435 (Karma)

Karma has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 435
  Subject: Otzma my income
Initiator: /dev/joe
    Judge: Karma (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:24h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:
  
Vynd's use of an Otzma Card Share your income on /dev/joe for A$400 on
July 14 was not in accordance with the rules.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:
  
This depends on the definition of "receives".

R1250.7 says:

    An Otzma Card of this type can only be played in the public forum.
    When a player plays this a Card of this type e also names another player,
    and a sum of money which is at most half of a sum the named player
    received in the preceding three days.

The only change in the A$ /dev/joe owned in the three days preceding the
otzma card usage was the conversion of a trinket to A$.  Remember that
trinket creation and destruction is the only normal event which actually
changes A$ into other entities (or vice versa) instead of paying the A$
into or taking them from the treasury.  R506 says:

    The owner of a Trinket may transform it into its value in A$ by
    publically announcing they are doing so. This action destroys the
    Trinket, creating A$ in its stead, and it upsets the art and
    antiquities communities.

If anybody has any Go Fish Otzma Cards for sale, I am interested in
buying them, regardless of the outcome of this CFJ.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:56:28 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re: A$ and party chess

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> > uh oh.  does this mean that other players can obtain A$ in other areas
> > of ackanomic and then use them in party chess?
> 
> Apparently it does.
> 
> > does this mean that i
> > would have a significant disadvantage, as a party chess player, if i
> > don't get involved in the rest of ackanomic?
> 
> That's not necessarily true, but since I don't play Party Chess I'm not
> sure.  You get a number of pieces upon becoming a Swinger anyway, and I
> don't know how often other players buy pieces, so I don't know if that
> would change the balance of the game significantly.
> 
> Maybe you should get a corporate sponsor.  Ask RexBank to sponsor you.  :-)

My newspaper, the HTML Standard, will pay, upon publication, for 
coverage and commentary on the ongoing game of party chess. My rates 
will depend on the length and quality of submitted material, 15-25 A$ 
per article being fairly standard, although I will pay more for 
exceptional work. It's not much, but it *is* a source of income that 
will not require you to be active in other aspects of the game.

**two-star
* editor *
The HTML Standard

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 18:09:32 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A House Warming Party!

Hank Turowski wrote:
> 
> I would like to take a moment to announce a house warming part this week at
> my home, the Pirate Ship Revenge.  The festivities will begin this Thursday
> the 17th of July at 1pm Ackanomic time, and run well into the night.
> Please RSVP before midnight Wednesday by posting a public message stating
> that you will be attending.

It would be an honor to attend. Hey, maybe if there is going to be a 
party, those present should meet on IRC during the party.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:23:38 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Apologies 

>First, I'd like to publically apologize to Mr. Lunatic Fringe for
>any messages on my part that he has taken to be rude over the past
>several months.  There was no rude intent on my part.

Understood and accepted.  What I was reffering to was negitive tone, not
general rudeness, but accepted anyway.  I apologize for any and all rude
comments I made have made in response.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:57:38 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Salaries

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Brian Raiter [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, July 15, 1997 7:17 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Acka: Salaries

> The more important thing to note here is that there are A$150/month
> worth of offices I will resign from before the end of the month.
> Alfvaen doesn't know what sort of access he will have and Guy Fawkes
> can't help until about a month later.  We need some volunteers here.

I can't make it official right now, but I think I might be able to
volunteer for the position of Postmaster.

Muppetlabs is a small, semi-private box which is managed by my friends
as a sort of hacker's paradise. (Heh.) Furthermore, it is already
being used for one or two critical operations, so it is very reliable.
(I think it's been rebooted twice in the last twelve months.)

I'll have to discuss it with them to make sure they're okay with
having Muppetlabs take on this workload, but this is a job I would be
willing to do.

> "Volunteers!  We need volunteers!  Soldiers to meet them.
> Have no fear.  Have no fear.  You will be killed right away."

rotfl

breadbox
Not to fear Karma's here. If you could think of any office that doesn't 
require too much computer knowledge other than data processing my highly 
advanced outlook service can hold info on any or all players in docoments 
(I already have folders for every active player in ackanomic and could 
reproduce any mail sent by any player upon request from my archives if this 
can help. If not maybe there's something else I may be qualified for,

- - Karma

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:06:08 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 432 (Karma)

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, July 15, 1997 8:14 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Acka: CFJ 432 (Karma)

Karma has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 432
  Subject: The Trouble with Lushrike
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Karma (selected Jul 15, 1997, 20:14h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Alfvaen must add to the Blueprint-Under-Construction for Lushrike any parts
submitted to Vynd while Vynd was Acting Mad Scientist.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Heck, I have no idea.  If I knew, I probably wouldn't be submitting this.
For instance, Rule 597 says "The Mad Scientist must attach all parts to the
Blueprint-Under-Construction".  Can Vynd do that if I've got the only copy
of the BUC(which I'm fairly sure I can't show to him, because it's
illegal)?

I accept this and do my acka duty, I smell the crime of cthlililhu here and will be 100% impartial.
So Alvfaen beer and pizza again on Friday, I'll be lookin' forward to it pal!
 Oh umm.. yes my duty to acka blah, blah etc.....

- -karma (bloodthirsty)

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #198
*******************************