Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #196
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Tuesday, July 15 1997        Volume 02 : Number 196

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:56:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A House Warming Party!

I'll be there.  Don't expect me to try and come up with a limerick though,
of Acka's many facets, poetry is perhaps my weakest area (excepting
cryptology).

                             - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:03:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church and Synod 

>> It is my opinion that the synod does not add any burden of
>> complexity to any players other than those who participate in it, and thus
>> is not part of the problem facing ackanomic
>
>I have to disagree with this stated opinion.  /dev/joe, not a delegate,
>has had to spend the time to correctly determine the Synod's assets,

No, he didn't.  He noted an incosistancy (A$5) and pointed it out, for
which I am most grateful.

and
>were it not for /dev/joe tracking of organizational membership as well,
>it would be difficult to perform those and other calculations required
>by the rule.

This is true, but even if /dev/joe didn't track these things (ever so
grateful again,), and I gotta point out that he has since way before synod,
churches would most likely keep lists of theiur own members.  Organizations
that need harfing will be harfed, regardless of the existance of the synod
rule.

Without looking at anything /dev/joe has harfed, try to
>determine some of these parameters and restrictions of the rule yourself
>[plural you].  While it may be argued that someone *must* step in and
>harf these things, who *is* going to?  If they become unnecessary, no one
>has to.

So is the repeal of the synod your first step in making a Harfless
Ackanomic?  If this is the case, please say so.  If there is a way to make
Ackanomic not dependant on recordkeepiong, I'm all for it, but this rule
requires no record keeping on the part of non-participants that isn't done
anyways, and its repeal will not lead to a lessening i record keeping by
other parties.

>Moreover, despite allegations to the contrary, the Speaker *has* had to
>spend a decent amount of time checking the rule against the game state,

I never said you didn't.

>Malenkai

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:17:06 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A House Warming Party! 

>> I would like to take a moment to announce a house warming part this week at
>> my home, the Pirate Ship Revenge.  The festivities will begin this Thursday
>> the 17th of July at 1pm Ackanomic time, and run well into the night.
>> Please RSVP before midnight Wednesday by posting a public message stating
>> that you will be attending.

I will certainly be attending, although your housewarming may interfere
with a certain murder :)

Mr. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:19:46 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 139 (Niccolo)

Niccolo Flychuck has been selected.

#award malenkai : -20 A$

Clerk of the Courts
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 139
  Subject: Entity Manipulation
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (selected Jul 14, 1997, 23:18h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Chaos has committed a Crime.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

Chaos attempted to zap the following entities with an Orbital Mind
Control Laser via the following action on July 14th:

- ---
> I offer /dev/joe Jephthah's Pride in exchange for the Collossus of
> Sardia, an Otzma Card type Go Fish, a Plunky Monkey Wrench, a Scroll of
> Crumble, and A$250.        Oh my, this is too good to pass up.
        I am zapping /dev/joe with my Orbital Mind Control Laser for
the trade offer quoted above.
        *zot*
- ---

Now, its been alleged that this was in fact a Crime, due to the fact that
the Collossus of Sardia did not exist at the time, but were not here to
judge that.

It seems much more likely that the heinous crime of Zuriti'ili was comitted
in regards to these nefarious attempted entity manipulations.  Lets look
at the mysterious  circumstances surrounding this action:  1) The fabled 
Collossus of Sardia mysteriously disappears.  2) The target is nothing but
charred remains in the afterlife.  3) The President (and defendant) is 
making secret deals with his partner in crime to gerrymander him onto 
the Supreme Court in exchange for supporting this underhanded entity 
manipulation.  

We know that the heinous crime of Zuriti'ili involves entities, but not
a prime number of entities.  The number of entities in question here
is 254 or 255, depending how you count.  It is also rumoured in the
ancient texts that a *zot* noise is involved, and that is the case here.

The Judge has no choice, given the overwhelming evidence presented, that
Chaos comitted the Crime of Zuriti'ili here on this day of July 14th.

Suggested Penalty:

A FINE of A$1150 -- known A$ value of the entities in question.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:26:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ross Morgan-Linial <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church and Synod

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

// So is the repeal of the synod your first step in making a Harfless
// Ackanomic?  If this is the case, please say so.  If there is a way to make
// Ackanomic not dependant on recordkeepiong, I'm all for it, but this rule
// requires no record keeping on the part of non-participants that isn't done
// anyways, and its repeal will not lead to a lessening i record keeping by
// other parties.
// 
// >Moreover, despite allegations to the contrary, the Speaker *has* had to
// >spend a decent amount of time checking the rule against the game state,
// 
// I never said you didn't.

Hrmm... so Malenkai doesn't have to do recordkeeping, only record
checking, and so your statement that it imposes no additional
recordkeeping is true, but misleading. Is that a correct assessment, Evil
Twin? :-)

// >Malenkai
// 
// Mr. Lunatic Fringe

Antimatter
Tending towards Lawful Neutral himself

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:53:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: trinket conversion

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> I am converting the trinket Colossus of Sardia to A$.
> 
> #award /dev/joe: -Colossus of Sardia, +900 A$: conversion
> 
> /dev/joe
> Not waiting around to see how they're going to try to un-shelter me.
> 

I am playing my Otzma card Share your income, I am naming /dev/joe and the
sum A$ 400.

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:52:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: trinket conversion

> I am playing my Otzma card Share your income, I am naming /dev/joe and the
> sum A$ 400.

Hmmm.  I bet a CFJ will be necessary on this one.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:55:23 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Church and Synod

Moving debate to acka-research in reply-to.

> So is the repeal of the synod your first step in making a Harfless
> Ackanomic?  If this is the case, please say so. 

Lets get one thing straight here. :-)  Malenkai has never repealed a single
rule in this nomic.  60% of the voters, or 66% in previous days, have.
I am not trying to repeal rules.  I am proposing a solution to the
overwhelming complexity of this game.  Acka will vote whether they agree,
in whole or in part, with this solution, or if there is a problem.

They may or may not debate parts of the solution, propose different
solutions, or argue that there is not a problem.  The voters repeal
rules, not Malenkai.  I have decided that there is a problem with the
complexity and capacity to do work of this nomic.  For the most part,
players have agreed, based on their voting for my solution, as
evidenced by a string of accepted proposals on my part since my 
returning from Africa, most of them related to simplifying this nomic.
Proposal 2220 is just the next in the series.  If Acka doesn't like it,
they will vote no.  What is the big deal here?  I'm missing it, to be
honest.  I enjoy a good debate, that is one of the reasons I play this
game.  Niccolo chose to challenge the merits of the Synod.  I chose
to engage in the debate, because I like that sort of thing.  

My criteria is to look at what I call the "work/fun" ratio, the "necessity"
factor, and how much "fun" the rule is generating at the time the proposal
is submitted.  I use my judgement, and base that on the actions of other
players.  When I submitted proposal 2220, the rule fit the criteria of all
the other simplifications that Acka has supported, hence I made the
proposal.  I point out that acka has voted "no" on many of my proposals
to repeal rules.  I'm at a loss as to what you appear threatened by
here (not meant offensively).  If acka doesn't like the rule, they will
vote to dump it.  What is the big deal?  I don't get 30 votes here.
I'm not repealing the rule.  I note that Niccolo recently proposed the
repeal of several rules.  No one was threatened by that.  I simply do 
not get it in this case.  I do not understand.  Its that simple.

If you don't like proposal 2220, vote no.  If you have bona-fide reasons
why Synod should not be repealed, voice them, and acka may agree with you.
You asserted that it was no work except for those involved.  I challenged 
that assertion in debate, and then tried to move the issue off of the
personal playing field.  No big deal.

> and its repeal will not lead to a lessening i record keeping by
> other parties.

This statement is false.  I will waste no more time proving again why it
is false :-)

> I never said you didn't.

I never said you said.  Na na na na na :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:34:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Corrections

It was pointed out to me that Darth Vader and Ben were players when the
parade happened (July 5) but I failed to record the 1 point on their
scores (due to using the "current scores" list of players to mark down
parade points, when the new players hadn't been added there yet).  This
was before the last bond dividends were given out, so instead of receiving
a zero dividend, each of them actually received a dividend of A$1.

#award Darth Vader: +1 A$: late July 7 dividend
#award Ben: +1 A$: late July 7 dividend

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:42:17 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Monopole

(mr cwm wrote:)
> I permit CnH to approach or enter the Revolving Shed, as necessary, in his
> attempt to work the Monopole's magic, and thank him for doing so.

Since CnH has gone on Vacation, and hopefully he's successfully
transferred the Gravitational Monopole to me, I'll do it instead...  If
I didn't get the GM in time, then I'll have to borrow someone else's.
(Just let me load up the PE page...)  Well, it looks like /dev/joe thinks I
got it, at least...so I will certainly put the Shed back on the ground if
you wish.

(Also, ThinMan wrote):
> I would like to express a belated thanks to our esteemed and highly
> competent Ackaphysicist, Alphvaen.  I have become rather attached to
> the AHOP, and I would prefer that it stay comparably attached to the
> ground.
> 
> I am, indeed, serving a pancake and sausage dinner, although at this
> point it is in absentia.  In fact, I have been serving it for the
> better part of a week.  Kind of an exaggerated Roman theme.  By the
> way, would you care for an after dinner mint?  It's only wafer thin.

Well, let me just get my Toga from Mr. LF...I'll stop by and have an after
dinner mint on my way to the Dread Pirate Roberts' party.  (My, what a
social butterfly am I.  Only in Ackanomic...)

(Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:)
> I would like to take a moment to announce a house warming part this week at
> my home, the Pirate Ship Revenge.  The festivities will begin this Thursday
> the 17th of July at 1pm Ackanomic time, and run well into the night.
> Please RSVP before midnight Wednesday by posting a public message stating
> that you will be attending.  Anyone who RSVP's in time has my permission to
> come aboard for the party.  In addition to chips and rum, all party goers
> will receive a small gift (a trinket I have not yet finished designing)
> worth A$5 or so.  Housewarming gifts will be greatfully accepted, but in no
> way required.

Oh, it's not until Thursday?  Hmmm...well, hopefully I'll be able to
attend, but we'll see.  Count me in until I say otherwise.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Led Zeppelin IV
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
Philip K. Dick was full of Ubik witticisms.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #196
*******************************