Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #192
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, July 13 1997         Volume 02 : Number 192

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 20:05:40 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka Morphology

While I see some merit in most of Mohammed's CFJ's,  not that I
necessarily agree with eir reasoning,  the first in the series,  dealing
with the "Bug Bashing Implement" is in a totally different class.  All
the others contain either the exact spelling of a Player or former
Player's name linked by a hyphen,  or a contracted spelling of that name
without further modifications.

However,  "Bashing" is a complete word unto itself,  with nop additives, 
no preservatives. While Mohammed argues the "Bashing" could be construed
as "Bash" with a "ing" suffix added,  I believe that on at least two
points "Bashing' as used in the name of this Trinket does not violate the
Rules.

One:  Bashing is a word;  it is a seperate word from Bash,   although it
may,  in common English ussage share a common root.

Two:  It is even in a different part of speach.  The Player's name "Bash"
 used the word as a noun,  a proper noun at that.  The common english
ussage shows that the word "Bashing",  as well as it's root,  is a verb. 
No relation.

VG

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 16:15:29 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: We have a new player in Ackanomic 

>Um, Ok, I'm a little embarrassed but I'm new to the game so cut me some
>slack.  This was meant for my mentor. :)  But I'll take your help if you
>want to offer it.

Uh, probably best t0o ask someone else.  I'm not much of a treasure hunter.
I'll give you this one little bit of advice though, my infected mentee, a
map can be anything that anyone things of so long as it has a condition
that can be achieved.  Lots of times they don't make sense until someone
posts a clue or too (and you may not its a clue even).  YOur best bet is to
watch a couple of treasres get found and read how it was done (Or talk to
the real treasure hunters, like /dev/joe) :)

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:33:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Digestion

(Boy, I'll be glad when I can get off the Digest list...in any case, here's
my digest reply...:-)

(breadbox wrote:)
>  This Ackanomics-inspired spangram contains seven a's, one b, four c's,
>  three d's, thirty-six e's, six f's, two g's, eleven h's, fifteen i's,
>  one j, two k's, two l's, three m's, twenty-one n's, thirteen o's,
>  three p's, one q, thirteen r's, thirty-three s's, twenty-five t's,
>  two u's, seven v's, seven w's, three x's, five y's, and one z.
> 
> Note that the first line contains two more s's than the original
> challenge. (I found this pangram just before I found that I had a bug
> in my program involving s's....)

So what's a "spangram"?  :-)  Perhaps what you means was "This
Ackanomic-inspired S.S. Pangram".  Hmmm...I wonder if you could do pangrams
to count punctuation characters, too?  Probably...

(Calvin N Hobbes wrote:)
> I am burying as Treasure the Majik "The One". The description of that Majik
> is as follows:

You know, if Majiks are nontradeable, then you can't bury them either.  :-/
I'd assumed they were tradeable, but if they're not really trinkets
anymore...

(Malenkai wrote, re the pangram program):
> I'll put it up there on the found page if you guys want, so long as its
> not too big.  I have a 5 meg quota.
 
It's only about 28K, and that includes all the documentation.  I'll email
you(and breadbox)a copy.

(Malenkai wrote): 
> In the thread we've been playing, the beldin's pants rule eats
> the "Tasteless Trinket of Timekeeping" from the museum.

AZTEC GOD, it is in your power to stop this senseless destruction of museum
pieces!  Just satisfy the treasure map to "Beldin's Parka"!

(Vynd wrote):
> I have sucessfuly fixed (ie, reinstalled almost everything) my computer, I
> think.  So no vacation for me.  In other news, I have decided Malenkai is
> right, and I am still working on the blueprint for Lushrike, not Trumpy.If
> anyone has problems with that, well, I'm guess I'll just ahve to pay the
> price. =)

Actually, I presume that you're no longer Acting Mad Scientist while I'm
not on Vacation, so you're not working on any blueprints right now.
When(if)I do go away again, do you think I should send you the BIC I have
now?  Is that illegal?  (Of course, I don't know how well the Rules can
legislate off-forum activities...)

(Vynd wrote):
> I accept this trade.  I am going to Lothlorien, if such place exists,
> where I will use my new found powers to erect a Lord of the Rings Theme
> Park.

Perhaps Lothlorien is a Moon of Acka.

(Dread Pirate Roberts wrote):
> OK, I've just spent the last hour or so looking at the various treasure
> maps around, and find myself completely confused.  There seem to be some
> common themes showing up in the maps (the are puzzles of similar types) but
> I'm not able to make progress on any of them, so here is my question for you.
> 
> Can you give me a run down of th emajor types of puzzles I will encounted
> in the game and show me where I can find some sample problems and their
> solutions.

Off Malenkai's treasure page, the "found treasure archive" should have lots
of info.  Unfortunately, new players joining now probably suffer from the
fact that all the easy treasure-burying techniques have been used already,
and could be solved by /dev/joe in about 53 seconds...:-)  Perhaps "Je Te
Plumerai" will fix that if it passes.

> For example, the /dev/joe's legacy map and the parade description... I have
> no clue what they were supposed to mean, but everyone else in the game
> seemed to catch right on.

It just..._looked_ like an acrostic to me.  And the letters in the parade
description obviously had to correspond to the clues.  (If the letters
hadn't been there, then it probably have been _much_ harder to figure
out.)

> Also the map that went out today the One Ring... I don't even understand
> the question, much less how to start solving it.

You and me both.  :-)

(Calvin N Hobbes writes):
> R511 does not say that Majik are not tradeable. Thus it can't be illegal.

Entities are nontradeable by default.  We ran into that same problem with
Contracts a little while back, IIRC.

(two-star writes):
> R511 does not say that Majiky are not nontradable. However, it does say:
> "Majiks are no longer trinkets but keep the value, name and description
> (or amended description) they had when trinkets."
> 
> presumably, retaining value implies retaining tradability, although it
> could be argued otherwise.

Objects can have value and still not be tradeable.  I agree with Malenkai,
I don't think that clause is sufficient to make Majiks tradeable.  I
thought they were still technically trinkets, just of a special variety, so
I didn't see this problem...:-/

(Calvin N Hobbes writes):
> Where in R511 does it say that Majik are entities?

I think that "implicit entityhood" is still part of Rule 500.  But if
Majiks aren't entities, then is it possible to bury them?  I could be
wrong, but I think R1217 requires treasures to consist of "tradeable
entities".

(Mr. Lunatic Fringe writes):
Boy, if only your proposal had gone through by now, I could almost do a
CFCJ on this message for "SETI" and "ETP".  (What the heck is ETP?  Does it
predate my involvement with the game, or am I just suffering from a mental
block?)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--The Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack
Current Book--Heather Spears:The Taming
I'm not a member of the Animal Kingdom.  I'm from the Animal Republic.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:39:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Morphology

> While I see some merit in most of Mohammed's CFJ's

Those are my CFJs, actually.

> One:  Bashing is a word;  it is a seperate word from Bash,   although it
> may,  in common English ussage share a common root.

It does in fact share a common root. The question is whether using a
different tense of a verb falls under conventional English morphology.

> Two:  It is even in a different part of speach.  The Player's name "Bash"
>  used the word as a noun,  a proper noun at that.  The common english
> ussage shows that the word "Bashing",  as well as it's root,  is a verb. 
> No relation.

That's a matter of opinion (pending game custom).

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:03:16 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Synod - proposal 2220

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Malenkai wrote:
> "obvious".  As I pointed out previously, which was not responded to,
> orgs other than Seleya were eligible to join, and chose not to.

I do owe a response for this one. The only other Org you mentioned was
GF's RexBannk, which existed for a very short period, mind you, GF is
hardly active nowadays, and has transferredme his Capital Swinger's office
because he has very little time to be active. None of the current policial
parties can join the Synod due to (very sensible) Similarity restrictions.

The fact is that the Synod is in session now, it would be good form to
allow it to demonstrate its boring aspects :), and the main thing that
remains to be determined is whether or not it has been 'robbed'
accidentally of assets it previously owned.

Niccolo Flychuck

As Malenkai, I believe this debate has reached a stalemate.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:11:31 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction

On behalf of the Church of Odo, I ack this, if I need too.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> I am giving two bonus votes to the church of  Odo in the wormhole.
> 
> I am giving two bonus votes to the church of the markovian dream.
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 21:15:42 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Synod - proposal 2220

> and the main thing that remains to be determined is whether or not
> it has been 'robbed' accidentally of assets it previously owned.

The Synod has not been robbed.  It was my understanding that it was
the Yor-Delegate's responsibility to track what the Synod owns, not 
/dev/joe's.  This is part of the complexity I have argued about, and
I'm sorry if this sounds snide, but those who argue that the rule has
little or no complexity should track it, especially when the rules
provide for a Yor-Delegate.  /dev/joe will be gone in 3 weeks.

Ask the Yor-Delegate what the assets of the Synod are.

My guess is that they are A$625, but that is *only a good faith guess,
it must be verified*.  I am certain it is wrong, but close.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:25:29 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Niccolo Flychuck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Synod is not on the entities page

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:

> Why are the Synods's assets not on the player entities page?
> 
> It had A$400
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck

Correction, it's supposed to have more than that. I neglected to count the
fees paid by Seleya and Odo ( I think the original Markovian fees were
paid to the Treasury)

Hence the Synod's assets should now be well over A$500

Niccolo Flychuck
Delegates

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:56:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Transaction 

>> I am giving two bonus votes to the church of the markovian dream.
>>
>> Mr. Lunatic Fringe
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>

I ack this on behalf of the church of the Markovian dream.  I've just
discovered that I am also Yor-Delagate. Working on those assets...

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 19:45:57 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: the 'bot

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> 
> The steel flea whispered in my ear:
> 
> "This situation has bugged me even with Wayne's 'bot, but if it's not
> too hard, next time you're tinkering with the 'bot, could you have it
> publish the text of failed proposals?  Some of the titles aren't very
> informative, and a week after I've voted I usually don't remember them
> very well, anyway, and it would be nice to see what had just failed,
> especially when I've voted YES.  Unless you think it would confuse
> people to have the text of failed proposals included."
> 
> I thought about it a moment and said, "sure, that would be easy to do.
> As a matter of fact, when I first brought the bot up it worked that
> way, but there were complaints."
> 
> Does anyone object to my changing the bot to send out texts of failed
> proposals?
> 

I think I personally would prefer the bot to send out the first 7 or so 
lines of text in the proposal, which would provide enough information to 
remind me of the content of the proposal where the title does not, while 
still visually distinguishing it from the (usually) longer passed 
proposals and not filling up the post with too much chaff.
Just me.

**two-star

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #192
*******************************