Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #171
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, July 1 1997         Volume 02 : Number 171

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 01:06:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gadgets

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Jazz Jackrabbit wrote:

> In continued compliance with the Destination Moon rule, I am
> building a Silver Spaceship.  It will be done in 3 days.
> 
> I am also bidding A$10 on the Cheez-Whiz.

I am bidding A$13 on the Cheez-Whiz.

> 
> Malenkai
> 

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:35:09 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2148 accepted (A random walk through the rules.

> Come to IRC and waste some bandwidth :)
>
Maybe in August. In July I don't work at nights.
Which time does the most people go to IRC. Please answer in GMT.
That local time minus the timezone correction. This means for East 
coast of America local time plus 6 hours.

                                            #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
                         __\\\\////__       #  [email-masked]          #
                      __/___\\\///___\__    #                          #
                    /'     _  \/  _     `\  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  /'     /' `\  /  `\     `\    He is Tiny, He is Toony
            __ ..--~~~~-|    @||@    |-~~~~--.. __  And he is very Loony
          /' :~         `\___/'`\___/'         ~; `\   And in this Piccy
        /'   :        |\    `\__/'    /|        ;   `\  I'm invading your PC!
      /'   __:`\      | `\____/\____/' |       /;__   `\
    /'    |  `: `\    |   \_|    |_/   |     /';'  |    `\
   |      |   :  :    |                |    ;  ;   |     |
   |       `~)`: :    |/|            |\|    ; ;'(~'      |
  /'      \_/' : `:   `\|____________|/'   ;' ; `\_/     `\
 (__   \__)    `: `:                      ;' ;'   (__/   __)
    \__)        `:  ~-__________________-~  ;'       (__/
                /`:                         ;'\
              /'   ~-____________________-~   `\
             |      /                    \      |     Dizzy
             `\     `\                   /'    /'  Self-Portrait
             __`|_____|  __          __ |_____|  __   Jan 96
           /'  ~/'    `\~  `\      /'  ~/'    `\~  `\
           \____\______/____/      \____\______/____/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 21:51:06 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassadorness 

As /dev/joe pointed out The United States of America and South Africe are
both nomics ripe for capture.  If any among you dispute their nomicness,
please CFJ it, but for now I am acting under the assumption that they are.

I have initiated negotiations with both nomics on the matter of them
passing laws recogizing the ppresident of Ackanomic, Mohammed, as their
Harf God and supreme diety.

I feer we our in for quite a struggle though.  Recognition from the United
States may require a constitutional amendment.  I am still researching what
will be required of South Africa.  Various State and local governments may
also need to pass laws, we shall see.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Ambassador on a Mission

Who remembers the Coke is it money?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:17:18 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Whatever happened to party chess

Am doing now. Am also figuring out SwingPoints.
Actualy Mohammed moved after you did.

I apologize for this delay. Ever I got back from Vacation I had this
Rishonomic Yellow Crisis, which I believe is over now.
You should really CFCJ me.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> It should be somebody's turn in Party Chess; I think my move was the last
> one before you left.  If the current player's turn has expired please send
> out an update; otherwise, please remind that player of his turn.
> 
> BTW, have I ever bought a party chess piece?  If so, which one(s)?
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 03:21:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Points 'n' Stuff

> Secondly, I don't know if the breadbox/Malenkai duel result scores have
> been entered.  Not that it's going to affect my score any, of course...

The duel didn't officially end until 3 days after breadbox posted his word.
That happened tonight and I have entered the scores.

> Thirdly, while the Whamiols may have been triggered by AZTEC GOD's voting,
> since I believe the Whammy Oil proposal passed, they should only be
> yielding 7 points each, since they were last triggered on the 22nd by Rex
> Mundi.

Whoops, you're right, except it is 8 days because the rounding rule rounds
the fractional day up.

> Fourthly, Guy Fawkes seems to have 9 Bonus Votes...

This is because I somehow forgot to record his transfer of 4 bv's to his org
in the entitylog, which I can't figure out why, since I know I saw the message
and should have (initially) set it aside for later processing...

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 03:35:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2147-2152

> I believe I set my default vote to PRESENT, so I should have had a vote
> listed for all of these proposals.
	This is correct.  My error; sorrie.
	Should be fixed now.

	Also, I changed the cgi so clicking on a proposal number from
the Big Rainbow Table page should get you the proposal you're looking
for much more quickly.  Complaints?  Comments?

- -- 
Mohammed
A anarchist clown from Brazil trapped a kid in an iron safe.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 05:41:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:
> I am writing a contract that reads:
	[snip]
> I am creating a Trinket called the Blarney Stone, worth A$77.  It
	[snip]
> Then, I bury the contract I just wrote, and the Blarney Stone, as a single
> Treasure. [...]
	Alfvaen has found this treasure.

	The treasure I buried on 6 June has been found by Alfvaen.
The actual map was:

This treasure will be found by a player when Mohammed announces that
that player has found it.

Only two players played; /dev/joe sent in a file that produces Star
Trek plots.  He claims it has the worst from 400+ episodes across four
series.

  During a mission to make first contact with Tuche IV, the last
  speckled Talaxian from the Delta Quadrant steals Vulcan!  Next time on
  Star Trek: The Next Generation!

  During a mission to prevent a natural disaster on Lebi III, dozens of
  giant Cardassians from Teedias VI kill Troi and impregnate her with an
  alien child!  Next time on Star Trek: The Next Generation!

Alfvaen's winning entry is based on the Zippy the Pinhead quotes "in
the 'fortune' database"; I know them from GNU emacs "yow" command.

  All I can think of is an army of NYLON OIL WELLS being trampled by a
  blur of my INK-LING and a bowling average ...

  Yow!  We THROW OVER a live INK-LING THERE.  In 1971 TWO DOZEN
  CORDOVANS MAIL selling some LIVE ammo in YOUR box of VELVEETA!

  What GOOD is a CARDBOARD INK-LING ANYWAY?

  ASPARAGUS makes me FESTIVE!!

Both babble files, and the babbler itself, can be found at
http://www.cbu.edu/~jorendor/acka/babble/

- -- 
Mohammed
Asparagus makes me festive, too.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:30:37 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gadgets

> I am bidding A$13 on the Cheez-Whiz.

I am bidding A$ 15 on the Cheez-Whiz.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:08:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> Only two players played; /dev/joe sent in a file that produces Star
> Trek plots.  He claims it has the worst from 400+ episodes across four
> series.
> 
>   During a mission to make first contact with Tuche IV, the last
>   speckled Talaxian from the Delta Quadrant steals Vulcan!  Next time on
>   Star Trek: The Next Generation!
> 
>   During a mission to prevent a natural disaster on Lebi III, dozens of
>   giant Cardassians from Teedias VI kill Troi and impregnate her with an
>   alien child!  Next time on Star Trek: The Next Generation!

I think I've seen this on a Web page somewhere.  In fact, I think I know
one of the guys that did it(d. page, from 2D Productions, who also brought
you the Random Haiku Server...)

> Alfvaen's winning entry is based on the Zippy the Pinhead quotes "in
> the 'fortune' database"; I know them from GNU emacs "yow" command.

I'll have to try that one.  Currently I only go into emacs when I want to
calculate Mayan calendar dates...

>   All I can think of is an army of NYLON OIL WELLS being trampled by a
>   blur of my INK-LING and a bowling average ...
> 
>   Yow!  We THROW OVER a live INK-LING THERE.  In 1971 TWO DOZEN
>   CORDOVANS MAIL selling some LIVE ammo in YOUR box of VELVEETA!
> 
>   What GOOD is a CARDBOARD INK-LING ANYWAY?
> 
>   ASPARAGUS makes me FESTIVE!!

Far from finished, unfortunately...  I had some ideas, later, of making up
babble files for things like heraldic blazons(which I think I worked out a
Backus-Naur Form for a while ago), and also doing a random name generator
kind of thing.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Joe Jackson:Is She Really Going Out With Him
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
There's too many clues in this room.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:29:24 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Parka

I am creating a trinket, value A$3, called Beldin's Parka.

#trinket Alfvaen: Beldin's Parka : 5 : June 30

I am burying Beldin's Parka with the following map:

Beldin's Parka shall be found by the person who amends the "Beldin's Pants"
rule so that the last sentence includes the words "gains 1 trinket".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Joe Jackson:Is She Really Going Out With Him
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
There's a jelly baby floating in my Earl Grey!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:42:56 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Parka

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> I am creating a trinket, value A$3, called Beldin's Parka.
> 

this fails, because you didn't post a description.
(and if it succeeded, it just might be inane :) )

**two-star
creator of the *original* Beldin's Parka

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:13:07 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Parka

> Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> > I am creating a trinket, value A$3, called Beldin's Parka.

> this fails, because you didn't post a description.
> (and if it succeeded, it just might be inane :) )

D'oh!  <thwap>  And I just submitted a proposal to fix that hole in the
Automatic Sculpture Blueprint...

So, since that didn't happen:

I am creating a trinket, value A$3, called Beldin's Parka.  This parka is
very thick and warm-looking, but it also extremely short, as if it were
meant to be worn by someone who's about two feet shorter than the average,
and is further somewhat lopsided, as if meant to accomodate someone whose
skeleton was somewhat askew.  In any event, a normal-height person wearing
it in wintry weather would have very cold legs unless they were also
wearing Beldin's Pants.

There, that better?  :-)

#trinket Alfvaen: Beldin's Parka: 3: cheap imitation

And now, I am burying this, non-null treasure with the map:

This treasure shall be found by the first person who amends Beldin's Pants
to contain the phrase "gains 1 trinket".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Joe Jackson:Is She Really Going Out With Him
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
Suffering from hypothermia, the mountains claimed him.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 1997 12:48:50 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Points 'n' Stuff 

AC>Firstly, I note that we just had a Chrome Streak, broken by one of my
AC>proposals.  Not that I'm bitter.  :-)

AC>Secondly, I don't know if the breadbox/Malenkai duel result scores have
AC>been entered.  Not that it's going to affect my score any, of course...

AC>Thirdly, while the Whamiols may have been triggered by AZTEC GOD's voting,
AC>since I believe the Whammy Oil proposal passed, they should only be
AC>yielding 7 points each, since they were last triggered on the 22nd by Rex
AC>Mundi.

AC>Fourthly, Guy Fawkes seems to have 9 Bonus Votes...

How so?  I had 1, found 4, gave those 4 to my org, then found 4 more.
Unless I came into a really big trove...
          en(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
           Song--Alison Moyet:Take of Me
            ook--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
               Monday!  Magazine day!  Nearly put the son of a bitch in a coma!
          "Einstein & The Polar Bear"]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:50:51 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CPPIA Verdict

The verdict of the CPPIA called on the Military lasers is that they are
<ahem> "The hottest thing since the 'Hubert Feathers'", by a vote of 4 to
2, with one abstaining.

The deciding factor seemed to be that Rule 2104 made them "useful", which
outweighed their possible artistic inanity.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Prince:Automatic
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
"Oh, no I haven't, I've remembered the sardines!"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:01:31 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Verdict

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> The verdict of the CPPIA called on the Military lasers is that they are
> <ahem> "The hottest thing since the 'Hubert Feathers'", by a vote of 4 to
> 2, with one abstaining.
> 
> The deciding factor seemed to be that Rule 2104 made them "useful", which
> outweighed their possible artistic inanity.
> 
Who made you our spokesperson? Anyway, I never really voted, and I am
voting that it is inane! Inane!

**two-star

Troublemaker.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Trinket Creation

I am creating a trinket with the name of "Military Laser". (Note the
singular.) Value of A$15. The description:

The Military laser is a weapon. It looks like what its name sounds
like it looks like. Despite its appearance, it was created for
defensive purposes. Carved onto the handle is the word "xyzzy".

#award: breadbox: -15 A$: trinket creation
#award: breadbox: Military laser: trinket creation

I am pointing the Military laser at my head and pulling the
trigger. Unsurprisingly, nothing happens.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:15:22 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: More Trinket Tracking

My "trinket creator" page now has lots more info, from my attempts to
actually track trinket transfers, burying, donation, destruction, etc.
It's still not quite complete, but I'm beginning to think some of the info
I need just isn't in /dev/joe's email logs, though ICOCBW.  And some of the
most recent stuff I slacked off on, so the dates may not be in there yet...
I will welcome additions and corrections to my info, but it's nothing
urgent.  The Trinket-Harfer is free to steal any or all of it for his own
use.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Tragically Hip:Little Bones
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
Keep reality out of reach of children.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:28:35 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Verdict

> Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> > 
> > The verdict of the CPPIA called on the Military lasers is that they are
> > <ahem> "The hottest thing since the 'Hubert Feathers'", by a vote of 4 to
> > 2, with one abstaining.
> > 
> > The deciding factor seemed to be that Rule 2104 made them "useful", which
> > outweighed their possible artistic inanity.

> Who made you our spokesperson?

There is no provision in the Rule for an Ad Hoc Committee having a
Spokesperson, but since I didn't want us to be in Contempt, I didn't see
that anyone else was really going to do anything in time...

> Anyway, I never really voted, and I am
> voting that it is inane! Inane!

Oh, sure, get us _all_ thrown in Gaol.  Everybody had, I believe, the
customary three days, if not more, to tell me that I'd counted their votes
wrong.  Nobody did, and _somebody_ had to report.

So, having experienced an Ad Hoc Committee, I'd say that it's rather a
flawed setup.  I'd like to see the Contempt clause removed, at the very
least, or the time extended, or a bit more structure as to how we're
supposed to make our decisions.  I'd rather have done this whole thing with
a Hearing.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Prince:Automatic
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
You have no idea how difficult it is to be predictably subtle.  --plord

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:08:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Verdict

> So, having experienced an Ad Hoc Committee, I'd say that it's rather
> a flawed setup.  I'd like to see the Contempt clause removed, at the
> very least, or the time extended, or a bit more structure as to how
> we're supposed to make our decisions.  I'd rather have done this
> whole thing with a Hearing.

Ad Hoc Committees don't need a rewite so much as they need
responsibility from their members.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:10:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> Far from finished, unfortunately...  I had some ideas, later, of making up
> babble files for things like heraldic blazons(which I think I worked out a
> Backus-Naur Form for a while ago), and also doing a random name generator
> kind of thing.
	My favorite is the one that generates stuff like this:

voraciously mountains of France awake from indeed in her pants once
hungry to kiss astonishing this to hips bed ear sailor romance

	Funny.. occasionally a whole string of words will almost make
sense together.

- -- 
Mohammed
no kidding
Have you ever seen macaws with that kind of plumage?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:25:39 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : SwingPoint Monday

As for all that time which included partly my absebnce and partly other
things, all people who owned SwingPoints prior to the last ammendment,
still own, as they are no longer so volatile.

Tonight is the Monday Night Swingpoint,the first Monday on which we give
them. 
I'll to go back a bit to figure who has what, but the followint people
receive SwingPoints in addition to those they already own.

/dev/joe, Vulcan Swinger, receives 5
Mohammed of (None Yet), receives 4
Red Barn, of the people, receives 3

I believe these figures to be the correct ones, I apologize for all the
delays in Party chess, from now on the game continues. 

Theweb page shows the correct position, and it has also been posted to
acka-chess

I'll get the move log updated as well.

Niccolo Flychuck
Errant knave and Chess Umpire

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 1997 16:46:02 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: OC Paratroop Auction Results 

The Auction for the OC type Paratroop has ended.

No one bid.

All Swingers wishing to pull a fast one my contact me privately.

In other news, I am reading the next page (7) of my Spell Book of Chorg.
It vanishes it a chartreuse flash.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:36:11 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Verdict

> There is no provision in the Rule for an Ad Hoc Committee having a
> Spokesperson, but since I didn't want us to be in Contempt, I didn't see
> that anyone else was really going to do anything in time...

It doesn't matter; you are late.  The verdict was due 6/30 at 13:00
EDT.  Contempt is described in rule 715, but the gist is that you all
must either pay A$100 or go to gaol for 3 days, the latter being the
default.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:46:23 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CPPIA Verdict

> > There is no provision in the Rule for an Ad Hoc Committee having a
> > Spokesperson, but since I didn't want us to be in Contempt, I didn't see
> > that anyone else was really going to do anything in time...
> 
> It doesn't matter; you are late.  The verdict was due 6/30 at 13:00
> EDT.  Contempt is described in rule 715, but the gist is that you all
> must either pay A$100 or go to gaol for 3 days, the latter being the
> default.

I was afraid of that.  My, less than a hour late.  It's all Antimatter's
fault, since he refused to vote.

Well, I've never been to Gaol...though if I am going, I should perhaps
reread the rule so I know my limitations.

And let this stand as a warning to the next Committee.  Don't slack off.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Sass Jordan:Rats
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
Your love is like greasy fried noodles...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:58:52 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Trinket Tracking

> My "trinket creator" page now has lots more info, from my attempts to
> actually track trinket transfers, burying, donation, destruction, etc.

> The Trinket-Harfer is free to steal any or all of it for his own
> use.  :-)

When I started harfing the trinket page, I intentionally did *not*
want to include creators and dates, because of my Platonic view of
art (i.e., art is "discovered", not "created", and it is timeless).
Also, its easier to harf that way, and there is less clutter :)
My ideal is name, value, gif, desc, but I did not want gif to be
mandated by the rules.

I'm not sure I have the time to harf this information on an ongoing 
basis.  Also, my original concept of trinkets and what they have been
used for have turned out to be a bit different -- I did not expect there
to be so *many* created.  IAC, if you have time to do this *after* you
become everything harfer when /dev/joe leaves, perhaps I will resign
as TH and let you do the whole thing as you would like to see it done.

In the mean time, I will just plod along with the way I am doing it
until I see who ends up will all that work that actually reflects the
game state.  If Acka wants this information tracked on the trinket page,
it will happen one way or another, I will not stand in the way of it,
but let us see what capacity for work we really have :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:53:06 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (CnH)

Jun 30 19:52 EDT: -3 Antimatter: did not report what Phoebe said

Calvin N Hobbes has found Phoebe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:47:50 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Change of Party 

Citizens of Ackanomic,

I am leaving the (None Yet) party, a party that is close to my heart, the
only party in Ackanomic that I have ever had a desire to belong to.  It was
a tough move, but easier than the alternatives and I believe I have made
the right choice.  Still, I think they are a wonderful party, the best, and
I wish them all the luck in the world.

But now, I am announcing my support for MetaMorph's purchase of a big tent
as an orginazational action.  I firmly believe that Ackanomic will whither
under the weight it's complexity, under it's lack of fl;exibility, and
under the squabilling and impolitness between it's players, who once upon a
time were friends with a (somewhat) common purpose.  Metamorph is a party
that wishes to change all that, to bring back to Ackanbomic the glory that
she once had.  Metamorph is the party for positive change, and I feel it is
my duty to become a member of it.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Man on a mission

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:29:39 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Parka 

>Beldin's Parka shall be found by the person who amends the "Beldin's Pants"
>rule so that the last sentence includes the words "gains 1 trinket".
>
>
>--
>--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)

I'm not sure this works.  There are two possibilities.  Number one, the
treaure is now the recipient of beldins parket, and will continue to lose
trinkets (starting with the parka, and then lord knows what happens) until
the treasure is found.  The problem is that wehen the treasure is found,
there will be no parka in it, and I believe that may be some sort of crime.

The other possibility is that the parka is buried, but the museum is still
the recipient of it, and continues to lose trinkets until the treasure is
found, at which time its finder gains the parka and another trinket.

Comments?

Mr. Luatic Fringe
Interested

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:53:13 -0400
From: Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Parka

> Number one, the treaure is now the recipient of beldins parket [sic],
> and will continue to lose trinkets 

> Comments?

I do not think it is reasonable to construe the treasure as a "recipent"
of the parka.  Of course, if we wen't with the counter-intuitive 
concept of treasures *owning* stuff, that may be a different kettle 
of fish altogether.  It would be more reasonable to construe Alfvaen as the
receipent after creation, but I personally find that unreasonable too.
I was going with the Museum as still being the recipient until anyone
told me differently.  Any other opinions or CFJs?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:07:35 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Parka

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> >Beldin's Parka shall be found by the person who amends the "Beldin's Pants"
> >rule so that the last sentence includes the words "gains 1 trinket".
> >
> >
> >--
> >--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
> 
> I'm not sure this works.  There are two possibilities.  Number one, the
> treaure is now the recipient of beldins parket, and will continue to lose
> trinkets (starting with the parka, and then lord knows what happens) until
> the treasure is found.  The problem is that wehen the treasure is found,
> there will be no parka in it, and I believe that may be some sort of crime.
> 
> The other possibility is that the parka is buried, but the museum is still
> the recipient of it, and continues to lose trinkets until the treasure is
> found, at which time its finder gains the parka and another trinket.
> 
> Comments?
> 
> Mr. Luatic Fringe
> Interested

I think a reasonable definition of "recipient" in this context is 
"entity to which ownership has been transfered." Because an entity which 
has been buried is unowned, it cannot have a recipient, (until it is 
found.)

**two-star,

who is sad that Beldin's Parka will never be flung into the 
Superduperconducting Superdupercollider.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:29:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket Creation

I am creating a trinket with the name of "Military Laser". (Note the
singular.) Value of A$15. The description:

The Military laser is a weapon. It looks like what its name sounds
like it looks like. Despite its appearance, it was created for
defensive purposes. Carved onto the handle is the word "xyzzy".

#award: breadbox: -15 A$: trinket creation
#award: breadbox: Military laser: trinket creation

I am pointing the Military laser at my head and pulling the
trigger. Unsurprisingly, nothing happens.

breadbox
reposted with a legal subject prefix
apologies for the bandwidth waste

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:52:17 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Widget Auction 

The auction for the Widget of Yendor ended a long long time ago in a galaxy
far far away, and sadly I forgot to report it because their were no valid
bids.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 20:51:15 -3000 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Trinket Tracking

> When I started harfing the trinket page, I intentionally did *not*
> want to include creators and dates, because of my Platonic view of
> art (i.e., art is "discovered", not "created", and it is timeless).
> Also, its easier to harf that way, and there is less clutter :)
> My ideal is name, value, gif, desc, but I did not want gif to be
> mandated by the rules.

I have been meaning to come up with a gif for the Inky Bloater sometime,
not that I'm a great computer artist or anything...I was just going to take
the Victory Eggplant and make it black.  :-)

> I'm not sure I have the time to harf this information on an ongoing 
> basis.  Also, my original concept of trinkets and what they have been
> used for have turned out to be a bit different -- I did not expect there
> to be so *many* created.  IAC, if you have time to do this *after* you
> become everything harfer when /dev/joe leaves, perhaps I will resign
> as TH and let you do the whole thing as you would like to see it done.

Heh.  Yeah, we'll see.  In any case, I'm doing this for my own personal
amusement, so feel no obligation to keep it up.  I'll do it for as long as
I can manage it.  :-)

I think the thing with trinkets is that they are entities that anybody can
create, with any name or desc they want, and perhaps little game effect,
but if you can exploit Malenkai's Loophole...  Or you can just make things
a little more homey.

> In the mean time, I will just plod along with the way I am doing it
> until I see who ends up will all that work that actually reflects the
> game state.  If Acka wants this information tracked on the trinket page,
> it will happen one way or another, I will not stand in the way of it,
> but let us see what capacity for work we really have :)

Yeah, fair enough.  I'm a compulsive list-maker, is all.  And some days I
don't get enough Ackanomic email to keep me occupied.  :-)

Maybe I'll start up a newspaper and do a "trinket trivia" column.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Sass Jordan:High Road Easy
Current Book--Colin MacInnes:Absolute Beginners
There was a hobbit from the Shire, and Bingo was his name-O:  B-I-N-G-O...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:55:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BWG 

>I do not think it is reasonable to construe the treasure as a "recipent"
>of the parka.  Of course, if we wen't [sic and grin] with the
>counter-intuitive
>concept of treasures *owning* stuff, that may be a different kettle
>of fish altogether.

I just wanted to take this moment to publially anounce my admiration for
Malenkai's phrase "different keetle of fish altogether", a phrase which I
have never heard before but greatly admire.  Their sheer harfiness of the
image is overwhelming, especially if you picture tropical fish swimming in
a cast-iron kettle.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:03:07 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure hunt 

The following four players have claimed a Treasure Toga for themselves:

Alfvaen
Malenkai
Breadbox
Karma

Their places in this treasure hunt are garunteed <note the cajun potato
chip accent>  The treaure hunt will begin once four more players claim
their togas.  I will also foramally announce trinket transfers at that time.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:25:22 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trade 

I hereby offer breadbox the following trade:

Mr. Lunatic Fringe -> breadbox  -- Widget of Yendor
breadbox -> Mr. Lunatic Fringe -- A$100

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 20:25:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: BWG

> I just wanted to take this moment to publially anounce my admiration
> for Malenkai's phrase "different keetle of fish altogether", a
> phrase which I have never heard before but greatly admire.  Their
> sheer harfiness of the image is overwhelming, especially if you
> picture tropical fish swimming in a cast-iron kettle.

Really? Well, it *is* a common idiom, though perhaps not as common as
it once was.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:31:19 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure Trinkets 

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> I am creating eight trinkets, noe particularly harfy, called Mr. Lunatic
> Fringe's Treasure Togas #1-8, each valued at A$5.  Each is a a toga of the
> roman style.  Ownership of one of these trinkets will allow its owner to
> participate in the upcoomming murder mystery treasure hunt.

I am going to Lunatic Finger^H^H^H^H^Hringe's house
I'll take the lowest prime numbered Toga available if any are available, 
otherwise, I'll take the highest numbered Toga available.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 00:40:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  Vacation and other stuff

Hi all,  I'm back from Vacation and notice a LOT of stuff to sift
through.  I did a quick glance at the main list,  and I've got a lot to
respond to soon.  But for now,  the important stuff:

1st:  I humbly and gratefully thank MLF for the wonderful Silly Vacation
Hat.  If it is the last SVH,  I shall treasure it even more.  I only have
one problem with this truly inspiring SVH;  the common nickname for
Manatees is "sea-cow".  The inclination to take advantage of this is
almost overwhelming,   and I may have to change my status to Voting in
order to take advantage of this windfall.  

2nd:  I urgenntly rush to Mr.  Lunatic Fringe's abode to acquire one of
those nifty togas.

3rd:  I just got a neat idea for another subgame.  I promise it's better
than GAD or the Chalice Vault.  (I still have a hard time believing
either of those passed.)  Details to come later,  but in the mean time, 
if Alfvaen and the fringed one would contact me privately,  I will try to
finish the concept.  Note to the rule lawyers:  can a Non-Voting Player
submit G&C stuff?  I don't remember.

Well,  that's it for now,  I need to get some rest,  or at least another
tequilla.

Voting Gnome
wearing a hungry Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #171
*******************************