Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #166
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, June 26 1997        Volume 02 : Number 166

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:00:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Game State Updates

The scores and entities are updated for the current game state, assuming
YccmA's post-mortem votes don't count and that alfvaen's military laser 1-10
counted as military lasers.  The rules are not yet updated for the last
three proposals (and P2125 was retracted).  P2125's retraction happened
before the end of the bond cycle; this change in scores causes the dividends
to be A$1 less each for Alfvaen and Mohammed.  By CFJ 416 I got the A$25
from Voting Gnome for the robin hood payment.  I believe P2123 destroys
the azpiazu monster, only moments after we finally knew it existed -- not
that it did anything anyway.

Chalmers's starting cash is A$636 and his house does not yet appear on
the map but I will get it there soon.  Also the new proposals are not on the
props page but I have finished all the zillion CFJs.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:22:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 2175 (retraction) acrobot

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Acrobot wrote:

> Proposal 2175
> thatcher
> Vynd
> 
> 
> Upon the acceptance of this proposal. Thatcher shall become the official
> King of Ackanomic, and all the Harf therin.
> 

Oops, silly little typo there.  I am retracting this proposal.

#retract proposal 2175

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 23:37:03 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2125

> Alfvaen wrote:
> [45 lines of discussion on the proposal, half of it quoted]
> 
> > [...] Also, I retract P2125, and will submit it to the bot if
> > you haven't done so in a couple of days. [...]
> 
> [another 15+ lines]
> 
> This was buried in the middle of a paragraph in one of those long
> messages discussing the proposal.  Please don't do this.  If you're
> going to retract, put it way up at the top or at the bottom, or
> at least in a separate paragraph somewhere.

You're right, I humbly apologize.  It does technically count as a public
statement, but it's not very public as it is.  I didn't actually submit the
retraction to the bot until yesterday, but I did need to do both.  (Would
there be a way to have Acrobot post a public message saying "such and such
has been retracted", or would it have to be from the author of the
proposal?)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Rage:Make It Last All Night
Current Book--Jean Lorrah:Ambrov Keon
I like to torture my plants by watering them with ice cubes.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:45:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Some actions

I am creating a trinket with a value of A$808.  It is called "One big
honking trinket" and has the following description:

This is an immensly huge doodad, of indeterminate purpose.  It is rahter
shiny, and slick to the touch, but warm.  It is generaly rounded in shape,
but has many small protrubences of all shapes and sizes.  The entire thing
is throbing slightly.  Mostly though, it's just big, say maybe 15 miles
across, 500 feet high.  It blocks the sun.

#trinket: A$808 : One big honking trinket 

(was that even close?  I'm too tired to check)

Now, it is with many happy memories, and witha  fond farewell to
/dev/joe's ashes, that I am gathering myself together and leaving the
Ackanomic Afterlife.

After leaving, I have a minor epiphany.  It's of a rhater personal nature,
unfortunately, involving the merits of bathing, and I am not going to
report any of the details here.  I believe this epiphany may be realted to
the many prime numbers currently associated with my personage, though.

My, now that I have mentioned my epiphany to you all, I feel empowered!
In fact, I feel like I just gained the power to control men's minds!
well, ok, that's stretching it, but I do feel telepathic.

With my new found powers, I am now traveling to the Library.

With much trepidation, I shall now visit my newest, and most POWERFUL
creation.  I am entering The Vault of the Book in search of forbidden
knowledge.

                - Vynd, your Enlightened, Telepathic, Crazy
                            French-Scotsman

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:43:58 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Work for the Senate

Phil Ackley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> There are three new internomic prposals, Number 342, 343, and 344.  Numbers
> 342 and 343 were proposed by Antimatter of Ackanomic.  Number 344 was
> proposed by Rishonomic.
> 
> I hereby initiate a sneate vote on all three. It is my opinion that P342
> does not do what it aseeks to do.
> 
> BTW, P344's text is not an error....
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe.
> Ambassador

Being the writer of all three of these proposals (344 is by Antimatter of 
Rishonomic :-), I urge the Senate to vote for all of them.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 23:51:36 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: RFC: Referees

Given the recent(and still ongoing)problems with trying to find referees
for games, I'm wondering if there should be some clause something like "If
more than X amount of time passes during which a game has no Referee, the
OiCoRT shall select a player at random."  This would obviously not be
obligatory in any way, but it might help if, rather than a bunch of players
thinking, "Well, somebody will surely volunteer", we have one player
singled out, which might make em more likely to say, "Oh, why not."  Sort
of like CFJs, or Krykecs.  (Which latter actually seem like a bit of a pain,
IMHO...)  This would take effect before a Game starts only if it's a Duel;
three people who want to play Ghost would still have to find one on their
own, but they would have recourse if their ref went on Vacation.

Anybody think that this is a really bad idea, or that it just won't work?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Rage:Make It Last All Night
Current Book--Jean Lorrah:Ambrov Keon
Sorta like having a medical system in which giant pandas are _essential_.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:07:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mad Hatter (CnH) 

>CnH has been selected mad hatter for CarsesraC

CarsesraC's Silly Vacation Hat has the shaped of a goblin, upside down, such
that when on the player it seems to be head down, feet up and on its own
chubby hands. Perhaps one may stare long enough at it and get past a
disturbing smile half full of egg yoke colored teeth -- it's actually a
frown though, the goblin is upside down. Once past that blotted facial
expression and the grizzled drab garbs hung on that brawny, wider than
taller, spawn-a-freak, the observer will see an endearing aloofness to a
goblin playing sandwichman. Forgetting the poorly color coordinated rouge of
the boards, that observer will see two messages: "Never odd or even" and
"Murder for a jar of red rum". Upside down messages, of course...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:09:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Krykek (Karma) 

>OK, someone had to say it...  It's spelled Krykec.  Well, actually, I
>think they spell it Krycek on the show

Correct. But I named Mulder 'mold' and Scully 'scold', so I had to change
The Evil One's name also.    ; )

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:32:52 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2160 (fwd) 

>	I think you're underestimating nothing.  In RL there's a need
>and a basis for the redistribution of wealth but in Acka how much
>money you have is simply a function of how much effort you put into
>that area of the game and how clever you are at it.

Aye Aye! Although let's leave out "clever" out of this and simply say it's
payment for participation in the game.

>Besides, as Calvin said, I'm poor and that's fine.

Right. People who have money deserve it. I think.    : )

First that escaping this little scam is the same as escaping end of cycle
taxation.

Let's give everyone a crash course in how to dodge our taxation system, all
right? The key is to invest your money as soon as you've got it. A$ are
taxed, not trinkets or assets. Build a house, a tower, PFbonds, create new
trinkets... just don't hold A$.

>the following shall occur: 20% (round down) of each Player's A$ 
>balance is transferred to the Treasury. The winner shall pay only 
>10% (round down), however. 20% (round down) of each 
>Undead's A$ balance is transferred to the Treasury. 

So even though trinkets do count for determining if taxation occurs, only
the actual A$ you hold count. Sweet deal huh? Same for the rule in
discussion, only A$ holding count.

If you feel uncomfortable with just keeping 19 or so A$ all the time, you
could sign a contract with a church to keep your money as a tax free asylum.
Give your money to the church to hold it. Then collect it as you need it. An
ideal contract would be one that allows you to keep A$0 and have granting
the church power to pay all your expenses automatically.

The church then becomes a bank. Only problem is if the church folds for lack
of members: the Treasury gets it all. For those interested in solving that
little problem, just vote right. Take a look at the very minor changes in
scope a proposal in the queue would make to R1003/1301...    ; )

Nothing sneaky about it, "banks" might as well be pure and real Orgs. Let's
leave churchs the way they are: a more unstable banking system.

Your local unofficial expert in financial matters,
CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:37:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: acrobot 

#retract 2136

As per request...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:02:09 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (Mentor: Niccolo Flychuck)

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Attention players!
> 
> We have a new player!  Please welcome Dan Strenkowski
> <[email-masked]>, ackanomic name: "Chalmers", to this game of
> ours.  In response to the market research question, Chalmer writes:
> 
> >and i was just surfing and found your web site! :)
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck has been selected as his mentor.
> 
> Chalmers, meet everyone.  Everyone, meet Chalmers.
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe
> Registrar
> 

Welcome to Ackanomic, Chalmers

Niccolo Flychuck
your Mentor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 23:14:39 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: W-File Report #3 

It was that kind of night, you know, the kind of night when weird things
happen.  It had been a few days since anyone had chewed the anti-gumball, a
few days since the world exploded--and my ears were still ringing.

I was sitting in the afterlife, nothing more than a pile of ashes trying to
stuff styrofoam in its ears--ears it turned out that I didn't have, but you
know how those big explosions are disorienting.  A hot wind blew, a
risidual draft from the really big explosion, I imagine, and my ashes and
/dev/joe's began to mingle.  I couldn't tell who was who, and I imagine he
couldn't either.  If one of us had ears, we might have been able to
distinguish our ashes by determining which ones weren't ringing, but we
didn't (and couldn't).

I was blowing around, trying to entertain myself by making a dust devil
when I heard (odd, really, since I didn't have ears) a voice.

"Mr. Finger," It said," You must come out of there.  We have to ask you a
few questions and I can't vary well turn myself to ashes.  I'm not a player
you see.  If I say the earth is round, I can't be burned!"

"Why, it's Mold! Wait, or are you scold?  I honestly wouldn't know.  I've
never watched the X-files."

"I'm Scold," he sounded perturbed, or at least I thought he did, his voice
was coming from somewhere inside my head, not from my ears, which I might
have mentioned I was lacking," and this is Scold."

Throught the translucent walls of the afterlife, I could see her (funny, no
eyes either) nodding.  She tapped her ciggarete against the wall, and some
of the ashes fell of the end and mingled with either mine or /dev/joes.

"Mr Finger, er Mr. Fringe, will you please come out of there?  YOu would be
so much more pleasant to talk to if you had eyes and ears, or for that
matter fingers, since I think that is what I will call you."

"Fingers?  What? No Mr. Finger? No respect.  Yeah, okay, I'll come out of
there, but only if you promise to put the squeeze on Karma next."

"No problem, Fingers, He has it coming to him."

"All right then, meet my at the Tower of Dandwidth in one half hour."

189K later I had gather my wits and my ashes and presented myself at the
tower of Bandwidth.  Yes, my ears were definitely ringing, and I was flash
blind.  Mold and Scold were already there waiting for me, but i couldn't
see or hear them.  Somehoe though, they were able to project themselves
into my brain.

"Don't worry, it's just a little trick we learned from Vynd.  He's going to
be telepathic, you know."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Really.  What's this all about, might I ask?"

"Might you? Er, umm.  Uh. Uh, you might.  It's those aliens, Mr Fringe.
They've come and taken our rules again.  They've taken our rules and in
their place they left two crash test dummies.  Crash test dummies, fingers,
do you believe it?"

"Not especially", I said.

"Well they did.  They came here, they took our rules, and then they lef the
dummies.  Dropped from balloons, they did.  Dropped the dummies and stole
our rules.  Dropped the dummies, stole our rules and next their going to..."

"Mold," interrupted scold (it was the first time she spoke, though I
couldn't actually hear her)  " You've said that already."

"Er, I have, haven't I." he said vaugley, and in my direction.  "Mr Finger,
one of these dummies looked exactly like you.  Should we consider this a
coincidence?  You were, after all the one who introduced aliens to
Ackanomic.  Do you deny this?"

"Uh.... Uh... Um"

"You made them, fingers, and now they are taking our rules and leaving
little dummies that look like you in their place.  Mr Fringe, did you know
that if this continues, in 40 years we will havce to send some colonel out
to deny everything?"

Scold spoke up.  "Mr Fringe, you have but one chance to clear your name.
Tell us who put you up to it, Mr. Fringe, and we will let you be."

"I can't... I can't.  I'm not gonna rat."

"Tehn it's the serum, eh?"

"The serum? Does that mean needles? I hate needles!"

"Mold, get me the serum!"

"ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!  It was Anitmatter.  He made me do it.  He came into my
mind, just like you guys did, and he said 'snowgod (they called me snowgod
then) adapt the virus to ackanomic.  Bring the aliens there.'"

"He said wh..." Mold began, but before he could finish, Alfvaen walked by,
the Antigumball poised on his lips.

"Run!  Hide!  It's gonna  blow!" scold screamed.  The terror in her voice
raised made my hair stand on end.  But what was the big deal I thought?
Mold and scold were no match for me, they couldn't even read the future.  A
big explosion, ha!  Not when Alfvaen chews the antigumball.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 07:36:01 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 418 (Karma)

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC8203.9E226BE0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Wednesday, June 25, 1997 11:12 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Acka: CFJ 418 (Karma)

Karma has been selected. 

Clerk of the Courts
I accept! And will deliver judgement june 28 before 11pm
Wearing a headache
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 418
  Subject: Holy Harfy Headwear
Initiator: Mr. Lunatic Fringe
    Judge: Karma (selected Jun 25, 1997, 23:11h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Registrar is not not required to release a list of players ackanomic
hats until such time as every player has sent in a legal description.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe's Reasoning:

>From R2099

>Each player is hereby required to choose what they want their ackanomic
>hat to look like. They must then write a 25 line description of their
>hat, telling what it looks like and why they chose that design for it.
>Messages describing the players hat must be sent to the Registrar, who
>will compile a huge list of everyone's hat descriptions, and then make
>that list available for any player to see, in conjunction with the
>Web-Harfer.

This rule sets up a three step process.  Each player must first "choose
what they want their ackanomic hat to look like" Then they must write a
description of it and send it to the Registrar.

Okay so far, but the third step is more complicated.  The registrar is
required to compile a list of *everyone's* hat design, and release such a
list.  I am not authorized or even permitted to release a partial list, and
I do not think that speed kicks in until such time as I recieve a hat
design from *everyone*.

Now, no offense to Robert Sevin (I love this rule), but I think this needs
to be fixed. First though, I want to verify that there is broken, and that
by not releasing a list of hat designs I am not violating the rules. :)

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC8203.9E226BE0
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC8203.9E226BE0--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:31:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Referees

> Given the recent(and still ongoing)problems with trying to find referees
> for games, I'm wondering if there should be some clause something like "If
> more than X amount of time passes during which a game has no Referee, the
> OiCoRT shall select a player at random."

I would think it a bit of an imposition if a player was selected that
a) did not have the time, b) was already doing alot of acka work,
or c) had no interest in, or understanding of, the game in question.

I think any of the above are reasonable reasons not to be a referee.

My suggestions are a) offer a bounty, and keep upping it until someone
volunteers (like the airlines do when they are bumping people), or
b) bring back the optional office of GamesMaster who is default referee
in these cases.  Personally I would vote against b) myself.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:10:45 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I hereby return from vacation.  I have roughly 500 acka-messages to
wade through, so don't expect much from me for awhile.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:58:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Some actions

Vynd wrote:
> #trinket: A$808 : One big honking trinket 

> Now, it is with many happy memories, and witha  fond farewell to
> /dev/joe's ashes, that I am gathering myself together and leaving the
> Ackanomic Afterlife.
> 
> After leaving, I have a minor epiphany. 

> My, now that I have mentioned my epiphany to you all, I feel empowered!
> In fact, I feel like I just gained the power to control men's minds!
> well, ok, that's stretching it, but I do feel telepathic.

After the creation of the above trinket, I find Vynd's A$ to be 61,
his score to be 61, and his number of passed proposals to be 11.
Thus I find his report of his epiphany to be correct.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:50:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Senate decisions

On the issue of making Agora an enemy of ackanomic, the senate has
unanimously voted no.

On the internomic proposals, the senate has voted YES on 342
(Niccolo Flychuck voted NO) and NO on 343-345 (Robert Sevin voted
YES on 343; Vynd voted YES on 344; 345 was unanimous).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:38:44 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Referees

> > Given the recent(and still ongoing)problems with trying to find referees
> > for games, I'm wondering if there should be some clause something like "If
> > more than X amount of time passes during which a game has no Referee, the
> > OiCoRT shall select a player at random."
> 
> I would think it a bit of an imposition if a player was selected that
> a) did not have the time, b) was already doing alot of acka work,
> or c) had no interest in, or understanding of, the game in question.
> 
> I think any of the above are reasonable reasons not to be a referee.

And one could refuse a CFJ for similar reasons.  It should be just as
voluntary.  (Would there be a Refereeing Ineligibility List?  No, too much
work...)

> My suggestions are a) offer a bounty, and keep upping it until someone
> volunteers (like the airlines do when they are bumping people), or
> b) bring back the optional office of GamesMaster who is default referee
> in these cases.  Personally I would vote against b) myself.

a) is an idea I had considered as well, but I wasn't quite sure how to word
it.  Also, you might get people who tried to wait until the money was high
enough for them...:-)  But perhaps I will suggest that instead.  (I think
10%/day would be a reasonable rate of increase...or just double it every
week, maybe...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Kate Bush:The Saxophone Song
Current Book--Jean Lorrah:Ambrov Keon
You will cease issuing ultimatums, or else.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ross Morgan-Linial <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate decisions

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

// On the issue of making Agora an enemy of ackanomic, the senate has
// unanimously voted no.

Good. I think.

// On the internomic proposals, the senate has voted YES on 342
// (Niccolo Flychuck voted NO) and NO on 343-345 (Robert Sevin voted
// YES on 343; Vynd voted YES on 344; 345 was unanimous).

:-(

- ------
Ross Morgan-Linial * [email-masked]

Any man who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
 - Samuel Goldwyn

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 1997 12:34:28 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Blue Things 

AC>I am not going to file a CFJ surrounding CFJ 391 and the existance
AC>of the Blue Things.  I am satisfied that they exist, rule 594 is
AC>not worded the way I remebered it being.  There is also game custom
AC>supporting that they would exist (CFJ 190).  In case Blue Things were
AC>destroyed as a result of CFJ 391 coming back true the first time:

AC>#award Bascule : blue thing :
AC>#award Museum : blue thing : 275 BV for snowgod

AC>Malenkai

If your reasoning depends on the retroactivity of judgment, please note
that judgment is not currently retroactive.  R212 (at least it was at
one time) claims retroactivity for judgment, but without the necessary
precedence claims to beat 103 (which bans retroactivity).

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:36:17 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSRR

I would like to volunteer for the (currently vacant) position of CSRR
Officer.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--They Might Be Giants:Your Racist Friend
Current Book--Jean Lorrah:Ambrov Keon
On n'ecrit bien que sur ce qu'on n'a jamais vecu.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 1997 12:50:06 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: How interesting! 

Another interesting string:

"Jukkasjarvi Cheez-Whiz 1sagfd156"

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 1997 12:51:32 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Auction (OC Paratroop) 

I am auctioning 1 Otzma Card Type Paratroop.
This is a private auction.

Send bids to [email-masked]

Auction lasts three days.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:56:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: Hidden Agendas, Again

I've spent a little bit more time thinking about Hidden Agendas.  (For
those of you who haven't heard, this is the idea of setting up a certain
set of conditions which, if satisfied, will allow one to win.)

The biggest problem would be determining what would be a good enough set of
conditions for an Agenda.  IMHO, relying entirely on written guidelines
would make it too easy to surf, or too rigid, so there should be some human
judgement.  But who wants to try to evaluate twenty-three(or however many)
proposed Agendas as soon as the system is in place?  After that, Agendas
should only need to be proposed for new players, or if someone has won by
satisfying eir Agenda(or should people be allowed to change them?).  The
Speaker is the obvious choice, as the most impartial, but I would not wish
that kind of workload on Malenkai.  Maybe there should be an office of
Hidden Secretary, keeper of the Hidden Agendas?  I'd be willing to do
whatever work was necessary...

As to the Agendas themselves--they should obviously be set up so that the
player cannot easily achieve the conditions on eir own.  If it relies on
them owning a certain Entity, it should be something hard to get, like a
Ruby Slipper, or something like getting the Machine That Goes *ping*, the
Magic Potato, and the Great Trombone all at once.

I also think that a player with a Hidden Agenda should not be allowed to
win the Cycle by other means.  If this seems too harsh, then perhaps
Paradox Wins can still be allowed, but point wins at the very least should
be excluded(though having a score greater than the Magic Number might be
a condition...)

And now, just to list some possible conditions(I'm sure that people can be
more creative than this, too):

Financial: If you're to have a certain amount of money, then it should be
high, because you can always get less money by creating trinkets.  Having a
certain configuration of PF bonds or BP's might work.

Score: Obtaining a specific number, possibly more than once, or keeping
one's score unchanged for a certain length of time(which might be too easy,
if one just doesn't vote, submit proposals, etc.); reaching or surpassing
the Magic Number, as described above; having the lowest score, or the same
score as another player.

G&C: A certain configuration of wins and losses, in one game or a defined
set; maybe even a certain configuration(like a Viruses game that ends with
no infected cells).

Proposals: Obviously not the text of your own Proposals, but getting a
certain word into someone else's proposal, or getting a certain set of them
accepted or rejected, getting them declared Harfy(can the Harfmeister do
this to eir own proposals?), getting a certain set of people to vote
for/against it, etc.

CFJs: Getting three in a row appealed to the Supreme Court, getting a
certain number of your judgements overturned(which may be too easy if you
make a conscious effort to make stupid judgements), racking up the greatest
number of declined judges...

Entities: Possessing a certain set of Entities where possession is not a
straightforward task; things could be done with Treasures, I imagine...

General Game State: A certain number of rules in the ruleset, a certain
number of players...

The possibilities are endless, which is why I think hard-coded guidelines
are not the answer, and even for humans it would be a tough task.

I really should do this up in more Proposal-type form sometime...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Kate Bush:The Man With The Child In His Eyes
Current Book--Jean Lorrah:Ambrov Keon
The centaur is a strange creature, torn in a paradox of ways.  [Ann Mortifee]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:57:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction (OC Paratroop)

> I am auctioning 1 Otzma Card Type Paratroop.
> This is a private auction.
> 
> Send bids to [email-masked]
> 
> Auction lasts three days.

And the minimum bid is...?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Kate Bush:The Man With The Child In His Eyes
Current Book--Jean Lorrah:Ambrov Keon
In the space ship, the silver space ship, the lion waves goodbye.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:10:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2125

> You're right, I humbly apologize.  It does technically count as a public
> statement, but it's not very public as it is.  I didn't actually submit the
> retraction to the bot until yesterday, but I did need to do both.  (Would
> there be a way to have Acrobot post a public message saying "such and such
> has been retracted", or would it have to be from the author of the
> proposal?)
	Well, according to the rules the message has to be "from" the
author of the proposal, but one could see the bot as a tool for doing
such things (just like Netscape :o) and in that case, even though the
message comes from my machine, it would count as coming from the
person who actually sent it.
	It's all a bit abstract, isn't it?
	But I think it would be okay.  I have a lot of other changes
to make, so I'll throw that on the list.

- -- 
Mohammed
A distant kid from Brazil threatened a group of violent intelligent
sensational singing fools.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:19:59 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Krykek (Karma)

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC8244.6DB9A040
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, June 24, 1997 8:29 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Acka: Krykek (Karma)

Karma has been selected as Krykek for the abduction that occurred
on 6/23.

The 6/16 abduction report is also due.

Hopefully that unambiguously describes the Krykek situation, after 
last night's confusion :)

Malenkai

Can some one forward me details on the 6/23 alien abduction as I seem to have misplaced it in my mailbox.

Thanks in advance

- -Karma

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC8244.6DB9A040
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC8244.6DB9A040--

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #166
*******************************