Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #158
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Monday, June 23 1997         Volume 02 : Number 158

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:59:40 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rishon: Internomic Proposal

I hereby submit the following Internomic Proposal, assuming that this action is 
legal. Yes, I do intend to submit it through three Nomics simultaneously.

[proposal starts here]
Create a rule titled "Internomic Duels" with the text:

If one Nomic believes another Nomic has insulted it or engaged in an offensive 
act against it, it may (thorough its liason with Internomic) challenge the 
offending Nomic to an Internomic Duel. The challenged Nomic may accept or 
decline the invitation.

If the challenged Nomic accepts, the liasons of the dueling Nomics may choose 
to accept certain stakes in the challenge (such as a gain or loss of points or 
the ability of the victor to insert a specified rule into the loser's ruleset). 
They may also choose to accept changes to the default initial rules. Any stakes 
or changes to the rules must be accepted by both liasons, with the exception of 
starting without rule 5, which is accepted if either liason requests it.

An Internomic Duel is played by two teams of three players each, representing 
the two Nomics involved. A neutral referee is also neccessary. The initial 
rules are as follows, unless the participating Nomics agree to changes:

Rule 1.
Each team gets a turn in sequence. The team which gets the first turn is 
determined randomly by the referee.

Rule 2.
On a team's turn, all three members of that team must agree to a change to the 
rules. The referee must determine the change's legality. If the change is 
legal, the referee must decide the number of points to be awarded for the 
change, from 0 to 5. The change then takes place.

Rule 3.
A rule may be declared illegal by the judge for any reason. The referee need 
not explain eir reasoning. Recommended reasons to declare a rule change illegal 
are:
  It would make future rule changes impossible.
  It would immediately make one team win.
  It is deliberately biased towards one team or the other.
  It removes some or all of the referee's power to determine the legality of 
  rule changes or adjucate disputes.
  It detracts from the spirit of the game.
  The referee just doesn't like it.

Rule 4.
The referee is in charge of maintaining a correct record of the state of the 
game. If a dispute arises during play, the referee's decision is final.

Rule 5.
The rules of an Internomic Duel are binding on all players of both Nomics 
involved. The referee should declare illegal any rule change which puts an 
unfair burden on the non-dueling players of either Nomic.

Rule 6.
The winner is the first team to reach 100 points.

Rule 7.
Either team may forfeit the game at any time.
[proposal ends here]
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:20:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Zuvembi

I am leaving Xanadu(thanking Guy Fawkes for his hospitality), and using
my wings to fly backwards to the home of CV1701.

I am destroying my trinket "Remember to RFC", since I seem to be mostly
following its advice.

#destroy Remember to RFC

I am saying the incantation "CV1701 Mortoo Tomboo Miyi"

I am giving A$43 to Red Barn.
In case this is not enough, I'll give him A$1, and then A$1 again.
At some point in this procedure I have given Red Barn(certainly the poorest
player at the moment)10% of my A$.

These actions having been performed between 2am and 3am Ackatime, I now
have control over the Zombie CV1701.  (Who, I must add, was chosen entirely
at random out of the list of extant Undeads.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Talking Heads:Papa Legba
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:King's Blood Four
Different all twisty a of in maze are you, passages little.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:53:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Awards

Robert Sevin, despite subjecting us to a spamload of broken, un-fun, and/or
pointless proposals, as well as a couple actually beneficial ones, managed
to get a number of them to pass, apparently due to too many anti-voters
trying to take cheap points.  His 50th accepted proposal was one of those;
he has thus qualified for a 3rd Silver Stripe.

Malenkai only had a couple proposals in that batch, but among them was his
230th accepted, making him eligible for a Silver Stripe (to go with his
Gold Stripe and Ruby Slipper).

I qualified for my 3rd silver stripe (in addition to my gold stripe) some
time back, and I commented on it but our senators failed to award me the
stripe, so I will do it now.

I award one silver stripe each to Robert Sevin, Malenkai, and /dev/joe.

#award Robert Sevin: +1 silver stripe
#award Malenkai: +1 silver stripe
#award /dev/joe: +1 silver stripe

/dev/joe
Hmm, this gives me an idea...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:00:34 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism) 

>You're missing something.  I created the "Military lasers" serveral
>days ago.
>
>Malenkai

Ah.  Gotcha.  Cool.

Mr. Lunatic "Never Mind The Lasers" Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:06:13 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Apology 

>>CFCJ 136 has been judged TRUE.  Public apology of 13 lines is the
>>penalty.
>
>I am sorry for committing the crime, and I am even more sorry that I didn't
>have to sacrifice one billion points due to it's heinous and terrible
>nature. The lack of discipline and punishment in our justice system is
>frankly a disappointment to me, and to any law-abiding member of Ackanomic.
>To think that a vile criminal, a sociopathic villain such as myself can go
>free after performing such a crime with nothing more than a slap on the
>wrist...it boggles the mind. As I compose this sincere apology for my
>transgression, I can't help but fear for the future of Ackanomic. Surely it
>will degenerate into an anarchy, not unlike the world depicted in the Mad
>Max films, where justice will be meted out by burly men like Mel Gibson who
>are heavily armed and have strong Australian accents. We could prevent this
>foul fate by doing our part now to stamp out crime, and the only way to do
>that is to be more harsh in our enforcement of the laws. I am truly sorry
>for committing my crime, but is apologizing sufficient to make up for my
>wrong-doing? I think not. I will not rest until I am adequately punished for
>my crime. I can't sleep at night knowing that criminals such as myself are
>allowed to walk our fair streets, to visit the Cow Town Hotel as a free
>citizen. This is not right! I demand justice. This is a call to arms to all
>of Ackanomic! Stand up and be counted!

I fear, Mr. Sevin, that you have committed a crime by posting an apology
longer than the proscribed 13 lines.  This is gonna cost you 1,000,000,000
Points.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
BWG
Trying to have fun in spite of the man

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:09:15 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards 

>
>Robert Sevin, despite subjecting us to a spamload of broken, un-fun, and/or
>pointless proposals, as well as a couple actually beneficial ones, managed
>to get a number of them to pass, apparently due to too many anti-voters
>trying to take cheap points.  His 50th accepted proposal was one of those;
>he has thus qualified for a 3rd Silver Stripe.

If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
certainly would do so here.  This is the rudest thing I have heard in a
while, and this kind of thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?  Ask
the two observers that just left.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
POd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:14:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Public Apology 

>I fear, Mr. Sevin, that you have committed a crime by posting an apology
>longer than the proscribed 13 lines.  This is gonna cost you 1,000,000,000
>Points.

I told you, I'm a criminal. You just can't correct the criminal mind without
severe punishment. As Mr Lunatic Fringe kindly pointed out, even my
penitence was illegal.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:24:06 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards 

>>Robert Sevin, despite subjecting us to a spamload of broken, un-fun, and/or
>>pointless proposals, as well as a couple actually beneficial ones, managed
>>to get a number of them to pass, apparently due to too many anti-voters
>>trying to take cheap points.  His 50th accepted proposal was one of those;
>>he has thus qualified for a 3rd Silver Stripe.
>
>If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
>certainly would do so here.  This is the rudest thing I have heard in a
>while, and this kind of thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?  Ask
>the two observers that just left.

I would like to call a Politeness Moon on /dev/joe's above message.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 05:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards

> If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM,
> I certainly would do so here.  This is the rudest thing I have heard
> in a while, and this kind of thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't
> believe me?  Ask the two observers that just left.

Wait a minute. You're telling me that two observers left not because
this game generates 100 messages a day, not because the rules
encompass half a megabyte of Byzantine interdependencies, but because
some of the players complain about whimsical proposals?

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:17:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards

> If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
> certainly would do so here.

Did you ever stop to think *why* you get "burned" every time you call
a PM?  Perhaps you are taking offense where there is none :).

> This is the rudest thing I have heard in a while, and this kind of
> thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?  Ask the two
> observers that just left.

To be honest, I bet they left because of the megabytes of BWG, 
not /dev/joe's post.  Did *you* ask them?  Perhaps they left *because*
some of the spam could not be recognized as Nomic to them.  In fact,
one of them at least left before the post in question.

What will kill the game, IMO, is the people that harf the BWG
deciding that they are not enjoying themselves anymore, and no
one stepping up to take over.  If you enjoy spam so much, why don't
you volunteer to harf some of it?  /dev/joe has made it clear that
some of the harfer jobs, and assistant web harfer jobs, etc, are
available.  I have not seen you volunteer to take some of this heavy
load (which is much more than what I complain about).  I think he has
the  right to make comments about proposals that create mountains of
work, bloat the archives on his server, yet don't materially change
the way this nomic is played.  You certainly speak *your* mind freely.

Try to have respect for what others do not enjoy in the game.
One of the premises of the game is that it should be fun for all.
Sometimes that does not always work out, but at least we should *try*
to make it work out.  Perhaps we need a Spam-Harfer ;-)

And before you say, 'stop using the work' argument, as has been done
in the past, its a valid argument and should be countered objectively,
if it is to be countered.  People will only put work into something 
if they expect to get at least a 1 to 1 return on that work.  When they
don't, they find something else to do.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:21:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards

>[/dev/joe wrote:]
> >Robert Sevin, despite subjecting us to a spamload of broken, un-fun, and/or
> >pointless proposals, as well as a couple actually beneficial ones, managed
> >to get a number of them to pass, apparently due to too many anti-voters
> >trying to take cheap points.  His 50th accepted proposal was one of those;
> >he has thus qualified for a 3rd Silver Stripe.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe wrote:
> If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
> certainly would do so here.  This is the rudest thing I have heard in a
> while, and this kind of thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?  Ask
> the two observers that just left.

The thing that kills Ackanomic, *especially* for new players, is the email
load, and the complexities of the rules which come partly from proposals
such as 75% of the P2081-2115 that were resolved in the last day or so,
and partly in the remnants of these that persist through cleanups because
players are resistant to completely removing the things.

This is perhaps the one thing that has disturbed me most about Ackanomic
the entire time I have been a player -- that some rule has passed which is
simply impractical to carry out, or requires so much work to handle that
these same players who passed it would prefer to violate the rule than do
the work themselves, and yet they resist attempts to get rid of the rule
(and sometimes even resist attempts to make the rule easier to play).
The voting gnome was the prime example of this, but there have been others.

I'm tempted to call a PM on Mr. Lunatic Fringe's statement that my quoted
text above is the kind of thing that is killing Ackanomic, but I'm not
doing so.

I am donating all of my A$ to the Church of Seleya.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:38:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Zuvembi

> I am leaving Xanadu(thanking Guy Fawkes for his hospitality), and using
> my wings to fly backwards to the home of CV1701.
> 
> I am destroying my trinket "Remember to RFC", since I seem to be mostly
> following its advice.
> 
> #destroy Remember to RFC
> 
> I am saying the incantation "CV1701 Mortoo Tomboo Miyi"
> 
> I am giving A$43 to Red Barn.
> In case this is not enough, I'll give him A$1, and then A$1 again.
> At some point in this procedure I have given Red Barn(certainly the poorest
> player at the moment)10% of my A$.

Actually, Red Barn has A$150 now due to selling me his Scroll of Crumble
for A$150.  I only have the up-to-date financial data in the thread without
Azpiazu (I need to update an entitylog for the other thread; I will do that
tonight if I have a chance), but in this thread ThinMan, Niccolo Flychuck,
and Mr. Lunatic Fringe all have less A$ than Red Barn -- in fact, in this
thread, Mr. Lunatic Fringe's tammany bribe on P2113 failed due to him not
having enough A$, after having spent A$166 on the right-handed grapefruit
juice recently.  I believe Mr. Lunatic Fringe will still have fewer A$ in
the other thread.

With the ritual failing to be completed, Alfvaen fails to gain control of
CV1701, and he loses 10 points.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:04:47 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Zuvembi

> > I am giving A$43 to Red Barn.
> > In case this is not enough, I'll give him A$1, and then A$1 again.
> > At some point in this procedure I have given Red Barn(certainly the poorest
> > player at the moment)10% of my A$.
> 
> Actually, Red Barn has A$150 now due to selling me his Scroll of Crumble
> for A$150.  I only have the up-to-date financial data in the thread without
> Azpiazu (I need to update an entitylog for the other thread; I will do that
> tonight if I have a chance), but in this thread ThinMan, Niccolo Flychuck,
> and Mr. Lunatic Fringe all have less A$ than Red Barn -- in fact, in this
> thread, Mr. Lunatic Fringe's tammany bribe on P2113 failed due to him not
> having enough A$, after having spent A$166 on the right-handed grapefruit
> juice recently.  I believe Mr. Lunatic Fringe will still have fewer A$ in
> the other thread.
> 
> With the ritual failing to be completed, Alfvaen fails to gain control of
> CV1701, and he loses 10 points.

Foo.  I knew I shoulda waited until the PE page was updated...and,
probably, until the threads collapsed.  :-)  Oh, well, I didn't have
anything for em to do anyway, I just wanted to try it.  Obviously it's
harder than it looks.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--10cc:Art For Art's Sake
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:King's Blood Four
Every baron has his own special fantasy.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:14:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 136 Appeal

CFCJ 136 was appealed last night by Robert Sevin.  This is being
posted in case the Justices missed it.  His reasoning is at the end.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Men Without Hats logo
- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 136
  Subject: Illegal Dueling
Initiator: Robert Sevin
    Judge: Vynd (selected Jun 18, 1997, 21:51 EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Robert Sevin has committed a Crime.

Robert Sevin's Reasoning:

At approximately 10:08pm Central time on June 17, I officially announced a
duel between Alfvaen and /dev/joe. At 10:57pm Central time on June 17, I
sent an identical copy of the same message. Since the duel had already been
declared, my second message was a Crime (I was not authorized by Alfvaen to
initiate a second, identical duel).

Suggested penalty:

a DEDUCTION of 1,000,000,000 points
and
a FINE of A$5
and
a SENTENCE of 2 days in the Gaol
and
a TRANSFERENCE of the Adhesive Capital H
and
a PUBLIC APOLOGY of 3 lines

Vynd's reasoning:

The first question here is, of course, did the events described above
actualy occur?  I have satisfied myself that they did (OK, OK, I remember
it happening).  Rule 1215 Duels clearly describes the procedure through
which Challenges to a duel may be given.  The first step is for the
Challenging player to find someone else to be their Second.  Only after a
Second has been chosen may he post a Challenge on behalf of the
Challenger.  Clearly then, Robert Sevin broke the rules by sending out an
unauthorized Challenge.  Actually, since it was impossible for him to send
a real Challenge, that message "never happened," but even trying to send
it was still a Crime.

In light of the serious nature of the Crime, and the history of Mr. Sevin.
I have no choice but to sentence him to:

A DEDUCTION of 0 points.

and

A PUBLIC APOLOGY of 13 or more lines.

Robert Sevin's Appeal Reasoning:

I hereby appeal CFCJ 136, paying any necessary fees to do so. I hope that
the TRUE sentence will be upheld, and that I will be given a more severe
punishment.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:26:08 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 412 (/dev/joe)

ThinMan declined Judgement.

/dev/joe has been selected at random.  Malenkai has attached his
public comments as Bronze Torch reasoning (rather than make it
a second post, I just threw it on here for convienence).

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing many hats
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 412
  Subject: The Godfather Scam saga continues
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Techno (declined)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (declined)
3rd Judge: /dev/joe (selected Jun 23, 1997, 12:25h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Godfather did not properly ack Malenkai's wager on June 7.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

The Godfather said that the odds of a public message being posted by a
player other than Malenkai in the next 7 days was 530 to 1, and that
Malenkai was taking the A$1 side of that bet, thereby betting that a player
other than Malenkai _would_ post a message in the next 7 days.  The
message referenced in the Statement above quoted the header of a Proposal
written by Malenkai himself, _but distributed by Acrobot_, and claimed that
the message satisfied the conditions of the wager.

If, by CFJ 247, the Promoter is not responsible for the content of any
Proposal e distributes, it follows therefrom that, especially in a case
such as this(admittedly not mentioned anywhere in the Rules)where the
Promoter's Proposal-distribution duties are handled automatically, the
Promoter is in fact not truly the poster of any Proposals that e is not
the author of emself.

If this is the case, then the message acked by the Godfather as satisfying
the conditions of the wager was not posted by a player other than Malenkai,
Thus the ack made by the Godfather was invalid, and Malenkai did not
receive the money from his wager at that time.  The conditions of the wager
were amply satisfied in the next several days, but the Godfather was remiss
in acking the wager once its conditions were actually satisfied, so it may
be the case that Malenkai never got the money that was justly owed him by
the Narfalone Family before its untimely demise.  (Depending on when this
Judgement goes through, of course, retroactivity will have rendered the
point moot, so that we will be irrevocably in the thread where the
Godfather's goof went unnoticed until it was too late.)

[And since a CFCJ has already been called against Malenkai on this
matter, even though said CFCJ would not be voided by a TRUE judgement
on this CFJ, I would go so far as to encourage the judge to dally and
thus let retroactivity take its course, if e judge it TRUE.]

Malenkai's Bronze Torch Reasoning:

This CFJ should be judged FALSE, IMO, and I ask the Judge to consider
the following comments.  *Either* of two following arguments
is sufficient to arrive at a FALSE verdict.

First, the initiator tries to apply the principle of CFJ 247 to this
case, but that comparison is inappropriate.  CFJ 247 pertains to the
message (noun), and its content, meaning that a player sending a
message to an officer for distribution is considered the author of
the message, despite the fact that an officer other than the player
distributed it.

The wager announced by the Godfather refers to another player *posting*
(verb) a message.  Mohammed *posted* the message in question, regardless
of the fact that CFJ 247 will rule that it is a *message* by Malenkai,
it is a *post* to the list by Mohammed.  This is an important
distinction. (The fact that it is the bot is not relavent on either
side of the argument).

- --

The second argument comes from the old rule 1060 itself:

> When the issue is resolved, the treasury shall transfer the money to the > winner of the bet. Money in the account of the Narfalone Family
> belongs solely to the Narfalone Family and may not be transfered to any
> player by any means other than a wager.

> The Godfather is the only player permitted to speak or act on behalf
> of the Narfalone Family.  Players that object to his decisions are
> welcome to stop by the Narfalone Cement Factory and try on a pair
> of shoes.

The funny thing about this rule, and this has been known by some
players for awhile, is that the rule never *says* that the Godfather
has to *correctly* adjudicate the bet!  Indeed, the first section
quoted simply refers to the mechanics of the money being transferred on
the "resolution" of the bet, whilst the second section refers to the
arbirtaryness of the Godfather's decisions, with the statement to the
effect that there is little recourse if someone objects to one of them.
The language of these sections clearly leaves open the ability for the
Godfather to adjudicate the bet anyway he pleases.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:33:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 411 (Supreme Court)

ThinMan attempted to decline CFJ 411, but as it was assigned to
him as Preator, he may not do so.  His action shall be construed
as him excersizing his privilege to send the CFJ to the Supreme
Court instead.

btw - breadbox, likewise on this one as with CFCJ 136 if you want.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a stupid hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 411
  Subject: Losing CFJs
Initiator: Robert Sevin
    Judge: CV1701 (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (forwarded to the Supreme Court)
3rd Judge: Supreme Court (assigned Jun 23, 1997, 12:32h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The following two events are not equivalent:
Initiating a CFJ and having it judged false.
Losing a CFJ.

Robert Sevin's Reasoning:

I'm not sure what it means to lose a CFJ, but I don't think CFJs are a
contest that can be won or lost depending on the judgement given.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:41:40 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Duel 

/dev/joe,

I come to you on behalf of Robert Sevin, honorable Senator, and prophet of
Harf.  Prepare to lie down and be vanquished like a common scum-dog.  You
have deen challenged t a Duel!

On the occasion of your rude, and certainly unfun message that, in my
opinion, is conduct unbecoming a senator, I have been instructed to
announce to you the following:

"/dev/joe has slandered my reputation by insinuating that I make proposals
simply to create work and antagonize others, and that my proposals are
largely worthless. I will not rest (much) until this slight has been
avenged. Therefore I will create more work for our officers by calling this
duel."

I heartily agree.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:40:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Politeness Moon

A Politeness Moon was called on the re-quoted content below against
/dev/joe.

The valid responses are:

Yes, it was polite.
No, it was not polite.

Reply to vote.  Voting lasts for 3 days.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >> Robert Sevin, despite subjecting us to a spamload of broken, un-fun,
> >> and/or pointless proposals, as well as a couple actually beneficial
> >> ones, managed to get a number of them to pass, apparently due to
> >> too many anti-voters trying to take cheap points.  His 50th accepted 
> >>proposal was one of those; he has thus qualified for a 3rd Silver Stripe.
> >
> >If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
> >certainly would do so here.  This is the rudest thing I have heard in a
> >while, and this kind of thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?
> >Ask the two observers that just left.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:54:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

Mr. Lunatic Fringe wrote:
> /dev/joe,
> 
> I come to you on behalf of Robert Sevin, honorable Senator, and prophet of
> Harf.  Prepare to lie down and be vanquished like a common scum-dog.  You
> have deen challenged t a Duel!

This is illegal, and I'm sure Robert Sevin knows it and is looking for
an excuse to CFCJ himself again.

Rule 1215, section 4 says:

        a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel. 

        b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player
           who has been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is
           Untouchable until the Duel procedures are resolved. 

Alfvaen challenged me to a duel a week or so ago, which I accepted and
for which the contest has not even begun due to nobody volunteering to
referee it -- where refereeing in Tromino Go consists of mainly watching
to see that plays are made according to the rules, and providing a
mechanism for resolving the 3-day turn limits at the start of a new round
and whenever illegal plays are attempted.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:55:55 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: conquring the Universe

I am offering to help the Ambassador in assaulting and capturing The 
Universe named "Hunt a resonant fungus". The acceptance of p 2156 
"gravity" does not seem to be necessary for Ackanomic to recognise it as 
the initial ruleset of The Universe. I remind the Ambassador that it is 
his duty to organize an assault on this heathen nomic.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:00:48 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Worthless Trinket

Alfvaen wrote:

> I would like to lodge a complaint against the lame, inane, and generally
> useless trinket "Military lasers", created today by the player Malenkai.

The CPPIA consists of:

Antimatter
Malenkai <-- declined (I can do that here to save 2 more posts :))
Guy Fawkes
Rex Mundi
Robert Sevin
two-star
fnord
Alfvaen

*I decline participation as decribed in rule 1080.  Alfvaen has been
selected in my stead.  Ad Hoc is described in rule 1080.  The criteria
under which the CPPIA shall base their decision is described in rule
1141.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:50:06 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Re: Acka: Awards 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  'acka'
Subject:  RE:  Re: Acka: Awards
Date: 1997-06-23 11:49
Priority: 3
Message ID: 7874383770E9D011948C0060976638FA
Conversation ID: RE:  Re: Acka: Awards

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I call for a PM on Malenkai for this direct personal attack on Mr.   
Lunatic Fringe.

Techno

 -----Original Message-----
From: malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 1997 10:21 AM
Subject:  Re: Acka: Awards

>From [email-masked] Mon Jun 23 10:21:01 1997 remote
from sdiinc
Received:  from onyx by sdiinc.com (UUPC/extended 1.12r) with UUCP
           for [email-masked]; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:21:00 -0800
Received: from wilma.che.utexas.edu ([email-masked]
[128.83.162.58]) by onyx.southwind.net (8.8.5/8.8.3) with ESMTP id   
KAA21466
for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:26:17 -0500 (CDT)
Received: (from majordom@localhost) by wilma.che.utexas.edu (8.7.4/8.7.3)   
id
KAA01213 for ackanomic-outgoing; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:19:19 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Received: from mail.itw.net (mail.itw.net [206.138.122.6]) by
wilma.che.utexas.edu (8.7.4/8.7.3) with ESMTP id KAA01210 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:19:16 -0500
Received: from ppp177.itw.com (ppp177.itw.com [206.138.122.177]) by
mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id LAA24311 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:19:09 -0400
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:17:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; I; 16bit)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards
References: <l03010d0bafd3ed81ef92@[206.149.69.108]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

> If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
> certainly would do so here.

Did you ever stop to think *why* you get "burned" every time you call
a PM?  Perhaps you are taking offense where there is none :).

> This is the rudest thing I have heard in a while, and this kind of
> thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?  Ask the two
> observers that just left.

To be honest, I bet they left because of the megabytes of BWG,
not /dev/joe's post.  Did *you* ask them?  Perhaps they left *because*
some of the spam could not be recognized as Nomic to them.  In fact,
one of them at least left before the post in question.

What will kill the game, IMO, is the people that harf the BWG
deciding that they are not enjoying themselves anymore, and no
one stepping up to take over.  If you enjoy spam so much, why don't
you volunteer to harf some of it?  /dev/joe has made it clear that
some of the harfer jobs, and assistant web harfer jobs, etc, are
available.  I have not seen you volunteer to take some of this heavy
load (which is much more than what I complain about).  I think he has
the  right to make comments about proposals that create mountains of
work, bloat the archives on his server, yet don't materially change
the way this nomic is played.  You certainly speak *your* mind freely.

Try to have respect for what others do not enjoy in the game.
One of the premises of the game is that it should be fun for all.
Sometimes that does not always work out, but at least we should *try*
to make it work out.  Perhaps we need a Spam-Harfer ;-)

And before you say, 'stop using the work' argument, as has been done
in the past, its a valid argument and should be countered objectively,
if it is to be countered.  People will only put work into something
if they expect to get at least a 1 to 1 return on that work.  When they
don't, they find something else to do.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:14:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Politeness Moon

A Politeness Moon has been called against Malenkai on the re-quoted
content below.  The valid responses are:

Yes, it was Polite
No, it was not Polite

Reply to vote, voting lasts for 3 days.
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  -----Original Message-----
> From: malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, June 23, 1997 10:21 AM
> Subject:  Re: Acka: Awards
> 
> >From [email-masked] Mon Jun 23 10:21:01 1997 remote
> from sdiinc
> Received:  from onyx by sdiinc.com (UUPC/extended 1.12r) with UUCP
>            for [email-masked]; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:21:00 -0800
> Received: from wilma.che.utexas.edu ([email-masked]
> [128.83.162.58]) by onyx.southwind.net (8.8.5/8.8.3) with ESMTP id
> KAA21466
> for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:26:17 -0500 (CDT)
> Received: (from majordom@localhost) by wilma.che.utexas.edu (8.7.4/8.7.3)
> id
> KAA01213 for ackanomic-outgoing; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:19:19 -0500
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Received: from mail.itw.net (mail.itw.net [206.138.122.6]) by
> wilma.che.utexas.edu (8.7.4/8.7.3) with ESMTP id KAA01210 for
> <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:19:16 -0500
> Received: from ppp177.itw.com (ppp177.itw.com [206.138.122.177]) by
> mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id LAA24311 for
> <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:19:09 -0400
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:17:10 -0400
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; I; 16bit)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: Awards
> References: <l03010d0bafd3ed81ef92@[206.149.69.108]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> > If it wasn't for the fact that I get burned every time I call a PM, I
> > certainly would do so here.
> 
> Did you ever stop to think *why* you get "burned" every time you call
> a PM?  Perhaps you are taking offense where there is none :).
> 
> > This is the rudest thing I have heard in a while, and this kind of
> > thing is killing Ackanomic.  Don't believe me?  Ask the two
> > observers that just left.
> 
> To be honest, I bet they left because of the megabytes of BWG,
> not /dev/joe's post.  Did *you* ask them?  Perhaps they left *because*
> some of the spam could not be recognized as Nomic to them.  In fact,
> one of them at least left before the post in question.
> 
> What will kill the game, IMO, is the people that harf the BWG
> deciding that they are not enjoying themselves anymore, and no
> one stepping up to take over.  If you enjoy spam so much, why don't
> you volunteer to harf some of it?  /dev/joe has made it clear that
> some of the harfer jobs, and assistant web harfer jobs, etc, are
> available.  I have not seen you volunteer to take some of this heavy
> load (which is much more than what I complain about).  I think he has
> the  right to make comments about proposals that create mountains of
> work, bloat the archives on his server, yet don't materially change
> the way this nomic is played.  You certainly speak *your* mind freely.
> 
> Try to have respect for what others do not enjoy in the game.
> One of the premises of the game is that it should be fun for all.
> Sometimes that does not always work out, but at least we should *try*
> to make it work out.  Perhaps we need a Spam-Harfer ;-)
> 
> And before you say, 'stop using the work' argument, as has been done
> in the past, its a valid argument and should be countered objectively,
> if it is to be countered.  People will only put work into something
> if they expect to get at least a 1 to 1 return on that work.  When they
> don't, they find something else to do.
> 
> Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:24:19 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Boon determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# I am using the dice server to determine Alfvaen's boon from the
# machine
# based on the following (using a 100 sided die):
# 1 -45: ancient artifact (random gadget)
# 46-70: ancient scroll (random otzma card)
# 71-80: gods are smiling (bonus vote)
# 81-87: ancient relic (trinket worth A$75)
# 88-92: ancient knowledge (new blueprint)
# 93-97: ancient wisdom (new otzma card)
# 98-99: gods are bored (pointy ears)
#  100 : gods are grouchy (chartreuse goose)
# Malenkai

No. of sides on every die:    100
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     48

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/ds.html

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Mon Jun 23 10:24:08 1997
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id KAA02809 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:24:08 -0700
> Received: from mail.itw.net(206.138.122.6) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma002807; Mon Jun 23 10:24:07 1997
> Received: from ppp177.itw.com (ppp177.itw.com [206.138.122.177]) by mail.itw.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id NAA31611 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:24:00 -0400
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:22:01 -0400
> From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win95; I; 16bit)
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: f
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 100
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Boon determination
> 
> #C I am using the dice server to determine Alfvaen's boon from the
> #C machine
> #C based on the following (using a 100 sided die):
> #C 1 -45: ancient artifact (random gadget)
> #C 46-70: ancient scroll (random otzma card)
> #C 71-80: gods are smiling (bonus vote)
> #C 81-87: ancient relic (trinket worth A$75)
> #C 88-92: ancient knowledge (new blueprint)
> #C 93-97: ancient wisdom (new otzma card)
> #C 98-99: gods are bored (pointy ears)
> #C  100 : gods are grouchy (chartreuse goose)
> #C Malenkai

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBM66xQj8NitsTFjcVAQFzpwP/bgZwCegzLJ0yKmor5jaVDJ1VRdljaFgl
LrbaJxPJb9VI/Zn/TEedUaT7nq8vPogMz9McZ86t8OkUtmqUgbLsi8x8lua19OrI
DHf4hTDteUi9AF9HWO99pWz40+lRTj8pftSWlalrQsgFl+gRB6FEU2nGN/rxPxzC
V0HjxG//Yqc=
=mue0
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #158
*******************************