Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #155
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, June 22 1997         Volume 02 : Number 155

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:20:13 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News 

I once considered that Treasures can be used in such a murder mystery,
perhaps once you have some pieces of information, a treasure is found, and
its map reveals more information. I also think it might be a good idea to
involve the resident detectives Scold and Mold in such a mystery.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >
> >  How to Host a Murder-inspired?  Very good idea.  Shame I won't be here,
> >but I might run an HtHaM that I never got around to when I got back.  Is
> >the one you're using of your own devising or from a store?
> 
> The one I'm going to use this time is from a store, but modified for
> Ackanomic (The names have been changed to protect the innocent, and some
> other details).
> 
> Mr. Lunatic Fringe
> Who wanted to write one himself, but couln't find anyone to help :)
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:25:33 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge to Malenkai

Is this legal?
I'm pretty sure that in some previous version of Duels this couldn't be
done.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Aaron Humphrey wrote:

> As Malenkai's Second, I am relaying Malenkai's reply to breadbox's
> Challenge, which e accepts.  Here are his statements on the matter:
> <unfurls scroll>
> 
> "I, with the full support of the Arts and Antiquities communities, who
> have been doing an awful lot of sneering lately, (and with good reason
> I might add), accept this challenge, in the name of protecting our
> citizens from ever even having to think about such inane and
> distracting "art", if you can call it that.  Normally our standards
> would prevent even *responding* to a challenge from someone with such
> demonstrated poor taste, but this is a chance to avenge the pollution
> of the Arts that has been festering in Acka for some time, and make an
> example of one of its primary causes! :-)
> 
> "Prepare to be vanquished in a game of Double Crash (which admittedly
> I have no idea how to play, but it looked interesting.  There is also
> a bug in the duels rule about a "Web Page" that me may have to work 
> around; I submitted the fix before I went on vacation and I have no
> idea what happened to it.  I submitted it again)"
> 
> 
> - --
> - --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
> Song In My Head--Led Zeppelin:D'yer Mak'er
> Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
> Vultures only fly with carrion luggage.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #153
> *******************************
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:29:03 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Goodbye For Now 

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> 1) I donate all of my Ackadollars to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.

I ack this
> 2) I transfer all of my trinkets to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.

I ack this

> 4) I transfer my Pyraic Frobnotzer to Niccolo Flychuck, and ask that he
> wreak a bit of havoc. Wish I could use it on the Agora bloody
> ruleset...*grumble* ;v)

I ack this

> 5) I officially declare that the earth is unequivocally ROUND and
> furthermore a rather foolish idea.
> 6) I leave the game of Ackanomic. Thanks for keeping me busy and entertained
> for so long. See you sometime soon...
> 

See you in other nomics

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:05:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: acrobot

#active karma

- -- 
Mohammed
It's a shame how non-smoking intellectual dogs treat a Martian from
Zaire.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 06:27:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC

> Tail recursion: If you're not sick of it already, see Tail recursion.
	I'm reading the Scheme book (I forget the title, but it's
*the* book... has "Interpretation" at the end of the title I think),
and it's the first I've ever heard of tail recursion as an
optimization.
	Excellent book.
	I wish they had answers to the exercises, though.  Sometimes
they just ask a question that seems to have a suspiciously simple
answer.  :o\  Makes me feel dumb.

	I wish I could find a nice free implementation of Scheme.  I
thought the FSF had one but I can't find it now.  I guess I just need
to spend some time looking....

- -- 
Mohammed
This autumn vicious happy Martians overran the world.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 18:28:09 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Proposal 2095

Proposal 2095 made some welcome changes to Ad Hoc Comittees. Specifically
section 5 which made provisions for a kind of Ad Hoc comittees not
originaly forseen.  I think there was one provision which didn't really
add much work and was optional, that being the provision that allowed the
sppecific rule which empowers an Ad Hoc Committee to specify a selection
criteria for up to two members.
I'd like to have Ad Hoc Committees that deal with foreign relation have
someone appointed by the ambassador, or Ad Hoc Committees that deal with
finances have someone appointed by the Financier, etc.

If there's no overwheming objection for putting that provision back in,
I'll propose the appropriate ammendemnt.

Niccolo Flychcuk

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:06:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> Proposal 2104
> More Blatant Elitism

> Yes:  14    No:  6     Present:  0   ...Proposal accepted.

> If a player assumes a title which requires a score higher than their
> own, in addition to any penalties required by other rules, that player
> is deemed to have been ambushed by Thargoids in hyperspace and blasted
> into a million pieces, leading to the replacement of any Military lasers
> in the player's possession by Pulse lasers, and the loss of 1 point.

I am assuming, *not* using, the Title of Elite.

#award Malenkai : -1 Military lasers
#award Malenkai : +1 Pulse laser

Jun 22 12:04 EDT: -1 Malenkai: ambushed by Thargoids

I am creating a trinket called Military lasers, valued at A$30.
#trinket Malenkai : Military lasers : 30 : keep same num on trinket page

Military lasers are small hand held units that make a pleasant hum
when used.  It is well known that you do not want to take Military
lasers with you when treasure hunting, and *never* fire them at
Aliens, unless you are in a bomb shelter.

Malenkai
Ambushed by Thargoids
The Pulse Laser actually costs *more* this way than the current blueprint
rules vote yes for proposal 2139

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:45:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Play That Tuba!

I would like to congratulate Robert Sevin on getting more of his recent
Proposals passed that I thought would happen...obviously people are feeling
more silly than they were the first time around, or something.  :-)  We'll
see how long any of them last, though.  (Malenkai's already preparing to
surf them loopholes...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Elvis Costello:Welcome To The Working Week
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
A German time-domain reflectometrist of the eighteenth century liked lettuce.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:52:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2098 accepted (Revenge of Life, the Universe, and Everything)

> Proposal 2098
> Revenge of Life, the Universe, and Everything
> Robert Sevin 
> Votes cast by active players:  19 / 20 = 95.000000%
> Yes:  11    No:  7     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.
> 
> YES votes:
>         You can call me Al

This proposal fails, assuming all other details are correct.  Al left
before its voting period ended, and before its results were PK.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:51:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

Oh, I see how this works now...(I knew he was up to something...)

I am creating trinkets called "Military laser 1-10", value A$1 each.  The
description is "These lasers are cheap but bulky, requiring two people to
aim.  Technically they're only supposed to be used for sending messages
over long distances in deep space, but of course that's not their primary
use."

#trinket Alfvaen : Military laser 1-10 : 10: multiple trinkets

> > If a player assumes a title which requires a score higher than their
> > own, in addition to any penalties required by other rules, that player
> > is deemed to have been ambushed by Thargoids in hyperspace and blasted
> > into a million pieces, leading to the replacement of any Military lasers
> > in the player's possession by Pulse lasers, and the loss of 1 point.
> 
> I am assuming, *not* using, the Title of Elite.

Oh yeah?  Well, I'm assuming, *not* using, the Title of Dangerous!

#award Alfvaen : -10 Military laser 1-10
(or however one would phrase that)

#award Alfvaen : +10 Pulse laser

Jun 22 12:04 EDT: -1 Alfvaen: ambushed by Thargoids

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Beatles:In My Life
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
'Shh.  Admire the majesty of those stone pointy things.'

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:57:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> I am creating trinkets called "Military laser 1-10",

I'm afraid this doesn't work.  These are "Military laser 1" ...,
not "Military lasers".  Although I personally thought all that
lexical warfare was BWG, we should at least be consistent in the
way we apply it.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:59:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> > I am creating trinkets called "Military laser 1-10",
> 
> I'm afraid this doesn't work.  These are "Military laser 1" ...,
> not "Military lasers".  Although I personally thought all that
> lexical warfare was BWG, we should at least be consistent in the
> way we apply it.

If the rule said, "if Military lasers are in the player's possession, they
are turned into Pulse lasers", I would agree.  But the phrase is "any
Military lasers".  It was the case that I had any Military lasers, because
I had at least one Military laser, and I had another Military laser that
was not the first Military laser.  In fact, I had eight more, too.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Cyndi Lauper:That's What I Think
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
A man in a tornado does not stop to wipe the mud from his face.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:10:41 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> If the rule said, "if Military lasers are in the player's possession, they
> are turned into Pulse lasers", I would agree.  But the phrase is "any
> Military lasers".  It was the case that I had any Military lasers, because
> I had at least one Military laser, and I had another Military laser that
> was not the first Military laser.  In fact, I had eight more, too.

The only way the loophole surf works is to construe "Military lasers"
in the rule as anything with that exact lexical name, just like in
the "Beldin's Parka" case.  Game custom supports this, i.e., "Beldin's
Parka" is not a parka at all, its a Trinket, but its an exact lexical 
match.

You are trying to use a different construction of "Military lasers" to 
mean types of lasers.  While it could be argued that that is the
appropriate construction (I would disagree because of the game custom
of the lexical warfare and Beldin's Parka), or that it is not mutually
exclusive with the lexical exactness construction, it would *require*
that your objects be actual *lasers*, but they are not, they are Trinkets.

Does that make sense?

Malenkai
Expert of Loophole-Surfing Gizz ;)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:04:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 415 (/dev/joe)

/dev/joe has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Looky at the new tour hats hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 415
  Subject: Revenge of the Thargoids
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected Jun 22, 1997, 14:03h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Alfvaen's Military laser 1-10 were turned into Pulse lasers.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

According to Rule 2104, "More Blatant Elitism":

"If a player assumes a title which requires a score higher than their own,
in addition to any penalties required by other rules, that player is deemed
to have been ambushed by Thargoids in hyperspace and blasted into a million
pieces, leading to the replacement of any Military lasers in the player's
possession by Pulse lasers, and the loss of 1 point."

My score was less than 151, the minimum for "Dangerous", and yet I assumed
the title "Dangerous", so I was ambushed by Thargoids.  That out of the
way, the question is whether or not "Military laser 1-10" satisfies the
conditions of the sentence.

Representing them as an "array" is merely a convenience.  I could also
write them "Military laser 1", "Military laser 2", "Military laser 3", etc.
Convention seems to dictate that these sort of trinkets, with a single
"base name" and a numerical index, can be referred to en masse by
pluralizing the base name, as "Inky Bloater Decoys".  Therefore, I did in
fact possess "Military lasers".  As I have pointed out, the word "any" in
front of "Military lasers" in R2104 implies that the phrase _should_ be
considered as a plural, so the parallel between "Military lasers" and
"Beldin's Parka" are weak.  Thus, each of the Military lasers, that is,
each of Military laser 1-10, in my possession, were replaced by Pulse
lasers by R2104.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:11:24 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Plea For Referees

Yeah, I know, I'm getting a bit of a one-track mind about this.  But two
games are languishing for lack of a Referee.  I've already said that I
will, if necessary, do all the work for a Viruses Referee, since all that
is really required to be done by an impartial party is the gathering of
moves; the calculation of the board given the last turn's board and the
moves is an objective procedure that can be confirmed by anybody.  So any
of the new players(unless the Referee has to be an Active player, in which
case I suppose that would be "any of the new players who have voted an a
Proposal whose results have been announced"), don't be shy.  I think
there's some kind of monetary reward, and if there isn't(because you're
just stepping in as a replacement for CarsesraC), there should be.

And then there's my duel with /dev/joe with Tromino Go.  I confess, this
one looks a bit more complicated, but I don't know how much the Referee
will really need to do here either.  Since this has never been played here
before...  Since nothing prohibits one of the Seconds from doing it, I
think it would be appropriate if ThinMan(whose impartiality is legendary)
or Robert Sevin were to do it.  But again, anyone can volunteer.

I mean, do we need to give away bonus votes or something?  (Actually, since
Guy Fawkes is in the lead in Viruses, and I think a win here might give him
the Crystal Grapefruit, maybe he could donate one of his to the cause...:-)

Hopefully this will be the last I'll say on this matter.  I don't want to
start sounding like Pledge Break time on PBS...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Led Zeppelin:Misty Mountain Hop
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
Schrodinger's Pet Clinic--Give your cat half a chance

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:33:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Proposal 2095 

>If there's no overwheming objection for putting that provision back in,
>I'll propose the appropriate ammendemnt.

I'd prefer to optionally allow a rule to specify the selection criteria. I'd
vote for such a proposal.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:35:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Play That Tuba! 

>I would like to congratulate Robert Sevin on getting more of his recent
>Proposals passed that I thought would happen...obviously people are feeling
>more silly than they were the first time around, or something.  :-)  We'll
>see how long any of them last, though.  (Malenkai's already preparing to
>surf them loopholes...)

Thanks -- But wait, there's more. We've still got to see the results of
2081-2094... Much more silliness yet to come, hopefully.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:33:57 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2110 accepted (Unburied Treasure)

Acrobot <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Proposal 2110
> Unburied Treasure
> Malenkai
> 
> Votes cast by active players:  19 / 20 = 95.000000%
> Yes:  20    No:  1     Present:  0   ...Proposal accepted.

> NO votes:
> 	Antimatter was here

Hmmm.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:37:29 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News 

>
>  How to Host a Murder-inspired?  Very good idea.  Shame I won't be here,
>but I might run an HtHaM that I never got around to when I got back.  Is
>the one you're using of your own devising or from a store?

The one I'm going to use this time is from a store, but modified for
Ackanomic (The names have been changed to protect the innocent, and some
other details).

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Who wanted to write one himself, but couln't find anyone to help :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:42:15 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Internomic: Proposal 339-341 

There are three new internomic proposals.  The voting period ends in two
weeks, or when all member nomics, including internomic, have voted.

The Internomic Proposal by Ackanomic was submitted by Calvin N Hobbes.  I
hereby initate a senate vote on each and every one of these proposals.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Ambassador

_________________
P339 by Ackanomic

On the sixth day of July and January, every year, the Universal Nomic
Organization Convention (UNOC) will be assembled. Its official name shall
contain the year's last two digits and month number: UNOC on January 6th
1997 would be UNOC'97/1. The aim of the convention is to foster ties between
nomics, their players, but also between groupings of players of various
nomics which have common goals. It is also there to enhance the visibility
of Internomic and of its members.

The moderator of Internomic will be the Director of the UNOC. The
preparation of the UNOC will be arranged by the Director, to take place on
forum(s) provided by a voting member of Internomic (called the Host Nomic)
of the Director's choice. The speaker of the Host Nomic is called the
Co-Director.

Anyone who is a member of a nomic, member of Internomic or not, may attend a
UNOC provided they have registered to take part with the Director at least
five days before the UNOC is take place. To be legally registered, a player
must send their real name, the name they wish to go by, their home nomic's
name (only one) and the name of that nomic's speaker, to the Director.

A player legally registered for a UNOC is called a Delegate to that UNOC.
Two days before the UNOC is to take place, the Director must have sent
information to every Delegate on how the UNOC is to take place. The format
of the UNOC is left up to the Director, but the Home Nomic should be chosen
to make sure adequate resources will be provided. A successful UNOC will
have organized many forums covering many topics.

The UNOC should be opened by the Director at 6am EST on the relevant day, by
a message to the Delegates. That message thank the Host Nomic, give an
outline of the day's program and then list the info about each Delegate. The
UNOC will close at 6am EST the next day with a message to the Delegates from
the Director thanking everyone for coming and officially closing the UNOC.

Anything that is a duty of the Director may be done by the Co-Director. The
Co-Director and all Liaisons to Internomic should assist the Director in
preparing the UNOC. Should the Director have a problem attending the UNOC,
the Co-Director may take over as Director.

The Host Nomic will gain 27 points. The Director and Co-Directors shall be
awarded the Internomic Medal of Merit (IMM). The IMM is a recognized and
protected mark of recognition of Internomic. It is a round medal on a red
ribbon. It has a deep blue outer ring and a gold coin locked inside that ring.

_______________
P340 by Agora

Let the following rule be created;

     A nomic is permitted to give its points to any nomic it has
     declared as an Ally.  This is done by sending a message to the
     moderator, stating how many points the nomic is giving, and the
     Ally nomic it is attempting to give the points to.  If the nomic
     has a score equal to or exceeding the number of points it is trying
     to give, then it loses that number of points and the Ally gains
     that same number of points.

_____________
P341 by Agora

Let the following rule be created;

     A nomic is permitted to attempt to steal points from any nomic it
     has declared an Enemy.  This is done by sending a message to the
     moderator, stating how many points the nomic is attempting to
     steal, and the Enemy nomic it is attempting to steal from.

     If the Enemy nomic does not have a score equal to or exceeding the
     number of points the nomic is attempting to steal, than the
     thieving nomic shall lose that number of points.

     Otherwise, the moderator shall inform the Enemy nomic that a theft
     is being attempted -- though it shall not be told by whom, or how
     much.  The Enemy nomic shall then inform the moderator how much it
     believes is being stolen.  If the Enemy nomic's guess is within
     five points above or below the number of points the thieving nomic
     is attempting to steal, the thieving nomic shall lose the guessed
     number of points and the Enemy nomic shall gain the guessed number
     of points.  Otherwise, if the Enemy nomic does not guess within
     five points, or makes no guess within two weeks of being informed
     of the theft, the Enemy nomic shall lose the stolen number of
     points.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:41:10 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New SFJ 

There is a new internomic SFJ.  Micronomic II (*Macronomic) has been
randomly slected to judge it.  I note that the case looks true to me, nd my
attempts to get an SFJ submitted were just that-- and attempt to get
something into "game custom"

MR. Lunatic Fringe
Ambassador

- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Statement:

The Moderator is not Liaison for InterNomic, nor is e InterNomic.

Initators Comments:

This seems trivially True to me, but an SFJ was requested.  I'll
include some of the comments I made on the Internomic list:

> As moderator of Internomic, I am hereby changing the attitude of
> Internomic towards Agora as Enemy.

This fails.  From rule 335:

> Any member nomic may declare any other member nomic to be an Ally,
> Neutral or Enemy at any time by having their liaison publicly announce
> the change on the Internomic mailing list

Rule 332:

> InterNomic's Liaison to InterNomic is InterNomic.

Rule 214:

> All business to be conducted with a member nomic shall be conducted
> with the liaison to that nomic. No entity may be liaison to more than
> one member nomic.

The Moderator is liaison for Ackanomic. It cannot be construed
that eir actions were possible on behalf of InterNomic.

- ---

> But is there not an impliaction [sic] that the moderator acts on behalf
> of Internomic?  I am the only acting participant in internomic that is
> singularly sentient and am the "referee" of the game.  Game custom could
> be construed as making the moderator and internomic synonymous.

I'm not sure where you are getting "game custom" as a justification
for assuming that the Moderator is equal to Internomic.  What specific
body of "game custom" are you referring to?

=From rule 102:

> A nomic is a game in which the rules are changeable by those who play
> it. The entities which play this nomic, aka "Internomic", [...]

The Moderator is not a nomic; the term is defined in Rule 102.
Internomic is.  The Moderator is not Internomic.

As Dr. West pointed out, Internomic acts as its rules direct it to.
It is a nomic, not a person.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:42:42 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Worthless Trinket

I would like to lodge a complaint against the lame, inane, and generally
useless trinket "Military lasers", created today by the player Malenkai.

(All right, let's see how one of these Ad Hoc Committee things works...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Sinead O'Connor:Success Has Made A Failure of Our Home
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
How about yelling "theatre" in a crowded firehouse?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:02:25 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Karma 

Karma,

I have not updated the registrars page in a while (time constraints) but I
promise that as soon as I do you will be on it.  You may wish to not that
you can find list of other players in several other places including
/dev/joe's score archive, and his email address and name archive.  You
should be listed in both of those.

As for you Goose Egg, that is not one of the things I am supposed to keep
rack of.  Try sending email to mohammed.  I think its his bot that needs to
know.

Hope that helps,
Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:04:58 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Registrarness 

I have been asked by our newest observer to make sure everything is claear
concerning his name and email address.

Tambo's real name is Mack Manser and his email address is [email-masked]

That is all.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:08:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism) 

>I am assuming, *not* using, the Title of Elite.
>
>#award Malenkai : -1 Military lasers
>#award Malenkai : +1 Pulse laser
>
>Jun 22 12:04 EDT: -1 Malenkai: ambushed by Thargoids

Whoa there.  Unless I'm missing something, you don't have a military laser
when you assume this title.  You only have a military laser immediatly
afterward, in the next paracgraph) so this fails.

>I am creating a trinket called Military lasers, valued at A$30.
>#trinket Malenkai : Military lasers : 30 : keep same num on trinket page
>
>Military lasers are small hand held units that make a pleasant hum
>when used.  It is well known that you do not want to take Military
>lasers with you when treasure hunting, and *never* fire them at
>Aliens, unless you are in a bomb shelter.
>
>Malenkai
>Ambushed by Thargoids
>The Pulse Laser actually costs *more* this way than the current blueprint
>rules vote yes for proposal 2139

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:13:52 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: ACKA: HATS 

I must say that I'm pleased that we finally have tour hats, more than a
year later.  This proposal, for those who don't know it, led me into a
discussion with Kelly Martin about these types of rules, which somehow
turned into a converstaion about vacationers, and inspired my Silly
Vacation Hat rule.  Now we have many hats.  Many many hats.  I am happy.

I am also the registrar so It is my job to compile the list of hats.  You
must send you hat design to me at [email-masked] (I think it is a crime
not to :)  Please help me out by including the word HAT somewhere in your
subject line.

I will release a list soon (and heck, I may even CFCJ those who don't submit :)

I love Hats,
Mr. Luntic Fringe

Registrar
Expert in Headware despite what Malenkai says :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:22:26 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: R2097 

>Proposal 2097
>Munchkin Haven all over again
>Robert Sevin
>Distributed at 03:00:10 on Sunday, 15 June 1997
>
>Upon the passing of this proposal, any party whose name (delimited by ") is
>"(None Yet)" will automatically have its party name  changed to (delimited
>by ") "Munchkin Haven". This name may not be changed.
>
>[Original Author: Julian Richardson aka Dr McSpong, Proposal 538]

ROFL!!  I can't believe this finally passed.  I can't believe it passed at
all.  I can't believe it passed with the almost unanimous support of all
the members of the Munchkin Haven Party.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Proud member of Munchkin Haven

Victon of TLW

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:24:56 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Karma 

>Karma,

[SNIP]

Oh dear.  I appear to be suffering a relapse of snowgod's disease, and a
serious case it appears to be.  I fear for the treatment I will have to
undergo.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:21:44 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Alphabetics RFC 2

Thanks to Mohammed for a few good ideas on this one.  Again, it's probably
overspecified, but please let me know if there are any problems with this
one.  I would feel a bit chagrined if someone got a Paradox Win out of this.

proposal Aleph Beth Gimel

Create a new rule, numbered 349, with text as follows(delineated by ZAYIN):

ZAYIN

Whenever it is desired that the alphabetical ordering of two names be
determined, the following procedure is followed:

1) The two names are compared word-by-word, where a word is considered to 
be a series of non-whitespace characters delinated by whitespace.
Further, each word is considered as if it were all lowercase.  An
initial "the" or "The" is ignored.

2) Words are compared letter-by-letter, where a series of digits is
considered to be a single letter, an accented letter is treated as its
unaccented form(except as specified below), and non-alphanumeric
characters are ignored.  A numeric "letter" precedes another numeric
"letter" if its numeric value is less, or, if they have the same
numeric value, if it has fewer leading zeroes.  A numeric letter always
precedes an alphabetic letter.  An alphabetic letter precedes another
alphabetic letter if it comes earlier in the alphabet.  An unaccented
letter precedes an accented letter if neither would otherwise precede
the other.  (The alphabet is in the order:
"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz".)  If neither of two letters precede the
other, they are considered to be identical.  A word precedes another word
if the first non-identical character precedes the corresponding character
in the other word, if no such character exists, the words are considered to
be identical.

3) If one name contains fewer words than the other, and all the words in the
shorter name are identical to the corresponding words in the other name,
then the shorter name is considered to come first.  Otherwise, the name
whose word was considered to come first in the last comparison done is
considered to come first.

An "alphabetic list" shall be a list of names whose elements are
ordered so that if there are any two elements A and B such that A
occurs before B in relative alphabetical ordering, as defined above,
occurs before element B in the list.

ZAYIN

Amend Rule 594, "Blueprints", by changing the sequence of words "first in
an alphabetic list(using ASCII)of their titles" to "first in an alphabetic
list of their titles".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Led Zeppelin:Misty Mountain Hop
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
We now return you to your regularly scheduled technical difficulties.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 17:23:16 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> >I am assuming, *not* using, the Title of Elite.
> >
> >#award Malenkai : -1 Military lasers
> >#award Malenkai : +1 Pulse laser
> >
> >Jun 22 12:04 EDT: -1 Malenkai: ambushed by Thargoids
> 
> Whoa there.  Unless I'm missing something, you don't have a military laser
> when you assume this title. 

You're missing something.  I created the "Military lasers" serveral
days ago.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:37:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:
> > Tail recursion: If you're not sick of it already, see Tail recursion.
> 	I'm reading the Scheme book (I forget the title, but it's
	Actually I'm reading the Scheme book very slowly.  The books
I'm actually reading right now are Aho et al's _Compilers et al_ and
Wall et al's _Programming Perl_ (on Peterson & Associates.)
	One or the other of these books has to be a joke.

- -- 
Mohammed
also reading Card's _The Memory of Earth_

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:47:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2098 accepted (Revenge of Life, the Universe, and Everything)

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> > Proposal 2098
> > Revenge of Life, the Universe, and Everything
> > Robert Sevin 
> > Votes cast by active players:  19 / 20 = 95.000000%
> > Yes:  11    No:  7     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.
> > 
> > YES votes:
> >         You can call me Al
> 
> This proposal fails, assuming all other details are correct.  Al left
> before its voting period ended, and before its results were PK.
	Did the rules change?  I have a very long record of counting
players' votes after they leave the game.

- -- 
Mohammed
The birthday of a quick macaw from West Virginia is a national holiday
over there.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:50:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> #award Alfvaen : -10 Military laser 1-10
> (or however one would phrase that)
	Actually there's a new syntax there.  I don't expect anyone to
remember this, but it's

#destroy Military laser 1-10

	I use this to destroy named entities.

- -- 
Mohammed
O to be a con artist in Juneau!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:50:05 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC

> On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:
> > > Tail recursion: If you're not sick of it already, see Tail recursion.
> > 	I'm reading the Scheme book (I forget the title, but it's
> 	Actually I'm reading the Scheme book very slowly.  The books
> I'm actually reading right now are Aho et al's _Compilers et al_ and
> Wall et al's _Programming Perl_ (on Peterson & Associates.)
> 	One or the other of these books has to be a joke.

Perl 5 seems to be suffering second-system effect.  Perl 4, and the first
edition of _Programming Perl_, were easy to use and eminently readable,
respectively.  I haven't made it through the second edition of the Camel
Book either; they took out all the easy-to-read bits, or most of them.  And
I've rarely needed to use any of Perl 5's special features in my
programming; admittedly, I mostly do 20-40-line hacks, and avoid OOP, but I
just don't find them that indispensible.

> also reading Card's _The Memory of Earth_

Good book.  Good series.  Good author.  (My Current Book has been wrong all
morning.  I apologize to anyone who thought I was still reading _The Snares
of Ibex_.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Bruce Cockburn:Shipwrecked At The Stable Door
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:King's Blood Four
Ask anyone who can recall, it's horrible to be born.  [Bruce Cockburn]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 17:53:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2098 accepted (Revenge of Life, the Universe, and Everything)

>         Did the rules change?  I have a very long record of counting
> players' votes after they leave the game.

I dunno.  I know Wayne never counted them after a player left.  That
is the last time I remember it actually coming up where it mattered.
I'll admit I may have seen it it your counts, but it has never 
mattered, hence I never pointed it out.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:54:49 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: P2104 accepted (More Blatant Elitism)

> > #award Alfvaen : -10 Military laser 1-10
> > (or however one would phrase that)
> 	Actually there's a new syntax there.  I don't expect anyone to
> remember this, but it's
> 
> #destroy Military laser 1-10
> 
> 	I use this to destroy named entities.

<blink>  And when did this come out?  I missed it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Bruce Cockburn:Shipwrecked At The Stable Door
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:King's Blood Four
Be true and do not lie in the area!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:58:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC 2

Okay, here's the text of the Proposal as I would send it out.  Let me
know if there are too many bad effects, too many good effects, if any
of this would be too much work for too little harf, where I've made
things last too long or not long enough, etc.  My new rule is "Don't
retract anything that's been RFCed".  (And if this does get submitted,
I'd be obliged if Malenkai would retract this repealment of this Rule.
:-)

Oh, yeah, and if anyone has better ideas for the names of the various
effects(especially #3), let me know.  :-)

#submit proposal By Anti-Gum

Add the following text(delimited by KABOOM)to the bottom of Rule 904, "The
Anti-Gumball":

KABOOM

3) Ground Explosion: If the player is in a building, that building's
suction caps are damaged and it starts to dangle.  If the player is in an
empty kaa of land, a hole is blown in the surface of Ackanomic, and the
player is charged A$100 by the Frobozz Earthmoving Company for repairs,
which will be completed in seven days; in the meantime, no buildings may be
built there.  If the player is in the Wilds of Ackanomic, e is fined A$200
for disturbing the wildlife.

4) Ectoplasmic Eruption:  The W-File pair show up and take the player away
for questioning about "extradimensional forces" for 48 hours, with effects
like that in Rule 1118.

5) Gamma Ray Dosing:  The player becomes Radioactive, and remains so
for the next thirty days.  While the player is Radioactive, e may not
possess any living entities; for the purposes of this Rule, that
includes the Chartreuse Goose, the Little Lamb, and the Amber Banana
Tree, which go Somewhere Else, and Chartreuse Goose Eggs and Amber
Bananas, which are destroyed.  (The Steel Flea is luckily immune to these
effects.)  Furthermore, e may not enter any location where there are other
players, and must immediately leave such a location if e is in one at any
time.

6) Energy Vortex:  The player's score is exchanged with that of another
player, chosen at random, including non-active players.

7) Energy Spike:  If the player has any Proposals in the queue, one is
chosen at random, and a Bonus Vote is created and instantly used to vote
either for or against(chosen randomly)said Proposal, subject to the
limitations on Bonus Vote usage per proposal in Rule 317.  (In other
respects, though, this clause takes precedence over Rule 317, as a
non-player usage of a Bonus Vote.)

8) Electromagnetic Pulse:  The player's name is scrambled into an anagram
of itself; another player is chosen at random to determine the particular
anagrammatic form it takes.  The name may not be changed back for seven
days.

KABOOM

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Talking Heads:Papa Legba
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:King's Blood Four
It might rain money.  It might rain love.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #155
*******************************