Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #154
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, June 22 1997         Volume 02 : Number 154

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 19:24:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Alphabet RFC

After looking over the rules which specify alphabetical order, I find that
"Blueprints" is the only one that actually specifies how the alphabetizing
is to be done.  The others just use the term "alphabetical order", and if
that can be specified for game purposes in a rule, that should suffice.

This version contains what I believe to be Mohammed's idea of word-based
sorting.  If anyone has ideas about better ways to express this, I'd be
happy to know it.  This is sort of an algorithmic approach.  :-/  And if
people would rather have ASCII collation order, I'd be happy to go back to
that too(though it'd probably be sorting of primitive forms, a la R348...)

Proposal Aleph Beth Gimel

Create a new rule, numbered 349, with text as follows(delineated by ZAYIN):

ZAYIN

Whenever it is desired that the alphabetical ordering of two names be
determined, the following procedure is followed:

1) The two names are considered to be lists of words, where a word is a
series of non-whitespace characters delinated by whitespace.  Further, each
word is converted to all lowercase.

2) If the first word of either list is "the", it is removed from the list.
This step is not performed recursively.

3) The first words of each list are compared.  If both are entirely
numeric, then the one with the least numerical value is considered to
come first.  If one is entirely numerical and one is entirely
alphabetical, then the number is considered to come first.  Otherwise, the
word which comes first in ASCII collation sequence is considered to come
first.  If the words are identical, then this step is repeated for
successive words in the two lists, if such exist.

4) If one list is shorter than the other, and all the words in the
shorter list are identical to the corresponding words in the other
list, then the name corresponding to the shorter list is considered to
come first.  Otherwise, the name corresponding to the list whose
element was considered to come first in the last comparison done is
considered to come first.

An "alphabetic list" shall be a list of names whose elements are
ordered so that if there are any two elements A and B such that A
occurs before B in relative alphabetical ordering, as defined above,
occurs before element B in the list.

ZAYIN

Amend Rule 594, "Blueprints", by changing the sequence of words "first in
an alphabetic list(using ASCII)of their titles" to "first in an alphabetic
list of their titles".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Led Zeppelin:D'yer Mak'er
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
All those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hands.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 19:23:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge to Malenkai

> As Malenkai's Second, I am relaying Malenkai's reply to breadbox's
> Challenge, which e accepts.

Turncoat! Opportunist! Janus! I shan't forget this slight, you
snake-in-the-grass!

*sigh*. 

Anyway, tell that art snob you've unaccountably befriended that
breadbox accepts his choice of Double Crash as the contest. (Good
thing he didn't choose Spades.) And why don't you act as referee?
since you seem to have somehow become a neutral party in all this
(grr).

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 23:34:50 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Goodbye For Now 

Fellow Ackazens,

I confess that I haven't been caught up with the Acka-mail lately - it's
just too much. As much as I've enjoyed playing this game, I must vanish for
now. Email time is precious around here, and the recent problems in
Rishonomic (our Ruleset has...err...crashed) and my newfound interest in
Agora (no longer terminally boring, only marginally so) are taking away even
more precious Ackanomic hours.

So it is with a sigh of resignation that I leave this game. I intend to
return when I get to MIT in a few months, but for now it is more important
that I do a bunch of other things. So, in the following order:

1) I donate all of my Ackadollars to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.
2) I transfer all of my trinkets to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.
3) I transfer 100 PFYou (my bonds, that is) to Alfvaen, because he's
consistently provided me with a great deal of entertainment with his
dedicated and clever play of late. :vD
4) I transfer my Pyraic Frobnotzer to Niccolo Flychuck, and ask that he
wreak a bit of havoc. Wish I could use it on the Agora bloody
ruleset...*grumble* ;v)
5) I officially declare that the earth is unequivocally ROUND and
furthermore a rather foolish idea.
6) I leave the game of Ackanomic. Thanks for keeping me busy and entertained
for so long. See you sometime soon...

Al, signing off

p.s. Mr. Registrar, if you could unsubscribe me from the lists, my
instructions have been misplaced. Muchas gracias.

                                     __________
                                    /          \
                                   /            \
                                  |   o     o    |
                                  |    |   |     |
                             ----------|   |----------
                             -----------\_/-----------
                           [email-masked]
                             -------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 22:40:49 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Goodbye For Now

> I confess that I haven't been caught up with the Acka-mail lately - it's
> just too much. As much as I've enjoyed playing this game, I must vanish for
> now. Email time is precious around here, and the recent problems in
> Rishonomic (our Ruleset has...err...crashed) and my newfound interest in
> Agora (no longer terminally boring, only marginally so) are taking away even
> more precious Ackanomic hours.
> 
> So it is with a sigh of resignation that I leave this game. I intend to
> return when I get to MIT in a few months, but for now it is more important
> that I do a bunch of other things. So, in the following order:

Farewell, Mr. Al!

> 1) I donate all of my Ackadollars to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.
> 2) I transfer all of my trinkets to the Church of Odo on the Wormhole.
> 3) I transfer 100 PFYou (my bonds, that is) to Alfvaen, because he's
> consistently provided me with a great deal of entertainment with his
> dedicated and clever play of late. :vD

I ack this.  I will be proud to have 100 BPYou can call me Al, and will
give some back to you on your return, unless you don't mind me having
Controlling Interest for a while.  :-)  And thank you for the appreciation.

#transfer You can call me Al, Alfvaen : 100 PFYou can call me Al : parting gift

> 6) I leave the game of Ackanomic. Thanks for keeping me busy and entertained
> for so long. See you sometime soon...

Have fun, and return when you're less busy!

And if he satisfies any requirements that there might be, I would like to
propose You can call me Al for the Hall of Elders.  (I'm not sure if he's
been around long enough to be an Elder, but I figure it's worth a try...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Monty Python's Matching Tie & Handkerchief
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
K is for Kate who was struck with an axe, L is for Leo who swallowed some tacks.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 22:47:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge to Malenkai

> > As Malenkai's Second, I am relaying Malenkai's reply to breadbox's
> > Challenge, which e accepts.
> 
> Turncoat! Opportunist! Janus! I shan't forget this slight, you
> snake-in-the-grass!

I can't help it.  Once Malenkai pointed out to me that it was possible
to Second both sides in a Duel, I had to try it.  After all, a week
from now that hole may be fixed.  Nothing personal, honest.  Should I call
one of Malenkai's recent trinkets into question?  :-)

> Anyway, tell that art snob you've unaccountably befriended that
> breadbox accepts his choice of Double Crash as the contest. (Good
> thing he didn't choose Spades.) And why don't you act as referee?
> since you seem to have somehow become a neutral party in all this
> (grr).

Double Crash doesn't seem to require a Referee.  (Unlike, say, Tromino Go,
or Viruses...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Monty Python's Matching Tie & Handkerchief
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
People are like onions--you cut them up, and they make you cry.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #154
*******************************