Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #152
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Saturday, June 21 1997        Volume 02 : Number 152

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:52:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Steel Flea Gazzette - June Issue 

In this issue we present to you "Things you gotta know!"  Next month, a
first in the history of SFG--real news!

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
or is it Charles Foster Fringe?

Subject: Stuff ya gotta know . .

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

In the 1940s, the FCC assigned television's Channel 1 to
mobile services (two-way radios in taxicabs, for instance)
but did not re-number the other channel assignments. That
is why your TV set has channels 2 and up, but no channel 1.

The "save" icon on Microsoft Word shows a floppy disk, with
the shutter on backwards.

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different
ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A
rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode
through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a
slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two
synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and
separate.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without
repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the
correct order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing
arsenic."

Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the
Australian coat of arms for that reason.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only
have about ten.

The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase
"Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead".

Pinocchio is Italian for "pine head."

Camel's milk does not curdle.

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

An animal epidemic is called an epizootic.

Murphy's Oil Soap is the chemical most commonly used to
clean elephants.

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

Blueberry Jelly Bellies were created especially for Ronald Reagan.

All porcupines float in water.

Hang On Sloopy is the official rock song of Ohio.

Did you know that there are coffee flavored PEZ?

Lorne Greene had one of his nipples bitten off by an
alligator while he was host of "Lorne Greene's Wild
Kingdom."

Cat's urine glows under a blacklight.

If you bring a raccoon's head to the Henniker, New
Hampshire town hall, you are entitled to receive $.10 from
the town.

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the
days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The
horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how
to walk up straight staircases.

Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie."
(Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

Texas is also the only state that is allowed to fly its
state flag at the same height as the U.S. flag.

The only nation who's name begins with an "A", but doesn't
end in an "A" is Afghanistan.

Pamela Anderson Lee is Canada's Centennial Baby, being the
first baby born on the centennial anniversary of Canada's
independence.

When opossums are playing 'possum, they are not "playing."
They actually pass out from sheer terror.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch
every year because when it was built, engineers failed to
take into account the weight of all the books that would
occupy the building.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 01:55:31 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official correction

As far as I"m concerned, Mohammed is correct. Apparently I did not cast a
vote on 2059 after all. I only cast the votes I sent a copy of to the
public forum.

Niccolo Flychuck

 On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> Niccolo flychuck cast the following votes at the times specified.
> These votes did not, as it happens, affect the result of any of the
> proposals in question.  However, they will affect scores and possibly
> financial details as of the end of the cycle... could I have
> confirmation of this?
> 
> I have labelled the votes below (a) for accepted and (r) for rejected,
> with the word spelled out in the cases where Mr. Flychuck voted against
> the majority.
> 
> The bot did not receive any votes from Niccolo Flychuck after P2054.
> Amung Gods was proposal 2059, and it looks like its status remains
> unchanged.
> 
> Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 11:51:38 +0300 (EET DST)
> #vote 2035 y  (rejected anyway)
> 
> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 01:07:54 +0300 (EET DST)
> #vote 2038 y  (a)
> #vote 2039 y  (a)
> 
> #vote 2041 y  (a)
> #vote 2042 y  (a)
> #vote 2043 n  (accepted anyway)
> #vote 2044 y  (a)
> #vote 2045 y  (rejected anyway)
> #vote 2046 y  (a)
> #vote 2047 n  (accepted anyway)
> #vote 2048 y  (a)
> #vote 2049 n  (accepted anyway)
> #vote 2050 y  (a)
> #vote 2051 y  (a)
> #vote 2052 y  (a)
> #vote 2053 n  (r)
> #vote 2054 y  (retr)
> 
> - -- 
> Mohammed
> A singing con artist from Brazil taunted a babbling bald slick glamorous
> nomad from Canada.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:02:54 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure Again

> Yes, in fact, I did.  :-(  Does this fall under the Spelling rule, or
> do I still have the Ackapennies rather than them being buried?  From
> the Web pages, it seems that /dev/joe thinks I don't, and Malenkai
> thinks I do.  :-)

I wasn't sure.  With all the lexical warfare, and the possibility of
it being a treasure clue, I left it alone.  Since it is up to the
entity harfer or financier or trinket harfer to adjudicate this,
I do not have to worry about it.  What Alfvaen is referring to is me
not putting a link for the 'Ackadollars on the bta page.  If it is
decided differently, I will put the link if I remember, but its not a
big deal from my POV, unless I find the treasure myself.

Malenkai
unofficial treasure harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 02:06:05 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trades, Transfers and Trinkets 

On 20 Jun 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> Also, I am offering to sell my Evil Ballot Stuffer for A$25 in case
> anyone has an immediate need for an extra vote (Act Quickly!).

I'll take it!

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:00:02 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC 

>(Oh, and I thought of another possible effect--name scrambling, a la the
>former Blue Thing, but only on the chewing player.)
>

If you really want to be interesting, you should have it scramble the name
of everyone *but* the chewing player, and then trasfer his entire score to
the officer in charge of random things for the effort involved...

Just a thought from the lunatic.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:13:20 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News 

Ackanomians,

In a couple of days I am going to announce a new treasure.  It will be a
treasure hunt unlike any treasure hunt Ackanomic has ever seen before.  It
will be a treasure hunt based on a murder mystery!

However, I have a problem.  In it's current form there can only be eight
real participants.  Each person who chooses to participate must be willing
to do the following things.

1) Make certain information available (as specified in the instructions I
will send) in the course of their regular Ackanomic messages.

2) Role-play a certain character in the course of their ackanomic play
while searching for the treasure. (not RPG type of role playing, just
assuming another personality as part of the treasure hunt)

3) Gaurd personal information aboout themselves (as specified in the
instructions I will send).

4) Gather information, and come to a conclusion about the identity ofthe
murderer, and post such information at the appropriate time.

If other players wish to participate, I may be willing to work them in as
extras (ie, court reporters, bartenders, or something, so that they can
participate in the treasure hunt).  Let me know.

My plan is to create trinkets and place them up for auction.  Only players
holding the specified trinkets will be able to participate (each trinket
represents a role), but first I would like to get a feel for who would like
to participate, so if this sounds interesting to you, please let me know.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:16:31 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Steel Flea Gazzette - June Issue 

In this issue we present to you "Things you gotta know!"  Next month, a
first in the history of SFG--real news!

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
or is it Charles Foster Fringe?

Subject: Stuff ya gotta know . .

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

In the 1940s, the FCC assigned television's Channel 1 to
mobile services (two-way radios in taxicabs, for instance)
but did not re-number the other channel assignments. That
is why your TV set has channels 2 and up, but no channel 1.

The "save" icon on Microsoft Word shows a floppy disk, with
the shutter on backwards.

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different
ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A
rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode
through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a
slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two
synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and
separate.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without
repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the
correct order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing
arsenic."

Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the
Australian coat of arms for that reason.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only
have about ten.

The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase
"Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead".

Pinocchio is Italian for "pine head."

Camel's milk does not curdle.

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

An animal epidemic is called an epizootic.

Murphy's Oil Soap is the chemical most commonly used to
clean elephants.

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

Blueberry Jelly Bellies were created especially for Ronald Reagan.

All porcupines float in water.

Hang On Sloopy is the official rock song of Ohio.

Did you know that there are coffee flavored PEZ?

Lorne Greene had one of his nipples bitten off by an
alligator while he was host of "Lorne Greene's Wild
Kingdom."

Cat's urine glows under a blacklight.

If you bring a raccoon's head to the Henniker, New
Hampshire town hall, you are entitled to receive $.10 from
the town.

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the
days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The
horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how
to walk up straight staircases.

Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie."
(Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

Texas is also the only state that is allowed to fly its
state flag at the same height as the U.S. flag.

The only nation who's name begins with an "A", but doesn't
end in an "A" is Afghanistan.

Pamela Anderson Lee is Canada's Centennial Baby, being the
first baby born on the centennial anniversary of Canada's
independence.

When opossums are playing 'possum, they are not "playing."
They actually pass out from sheer terror.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch
every year because when it was built, engineers failed to
take into account the weight of all the books that would
occupy the building.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:15:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News

> My plan is to create trinkets and place them up for auction.  Only players
> holding the specified trinkets will be able to participate (each trinket
> represents a role), but first I would like to get a feel for who would like
> to participate, so if this sounds interesting to you, please let me know.

I would like to participate as long as it does not run afoul of any
copyright laws.  BTW, I have come up with a new structure besides trinkets
for this purpose, ala the RoJ thing.  I'm not sure you want to wait for
it though.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:37:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Boon

> Otzma Card of type Skeleton Key

This becomes a rule in 7 days if not found Bogus.

Malenkai
bogusity-harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:39:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 411 (ThinMan)

This was incorrectly assigned, it should have been assigned to
ThinMan.  The management apologizes.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a stupid hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 411
  Subject: Losing CFJs
Initiator: Robert Sevin
    Judge: CV1701 (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (assigned Jun 20, 1997, 19:38h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The following two events are not equivalent:
Initiating a CFJ and having it judged false.
Losing a CFJ.

Robert Sevin's Reasoning:

I'm not sure what it means to lose a CFJ, but I don't think CFJs are a
contest that can be won or lost depending on the judgement given.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:56:00 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BWG

What with The Lord of The Rings coming up, and the fact that everyone 
here seems to have read it (everyone also seems to have played RPGs 
at one time or another, and most seem to be programmers) I thought 
you might be interested to know that LOTR came top of not one, but 
two recent surveys in the UK to find out what people's favourite 
books were. Tolkein's son (Chris?) apparently said that it wasn't the 
best book of the 20th Century, that JRR wouldn't have thought so 
either, and he reckoned his Dad would have been annoyed that it came 
top of the list.

So there you go.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:54:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 413 Verdict

CFJ 413 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing the Hat of Harf
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 413
  Subject: Automated Voting
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: /dev/joe (selected Jun 19, 1997, 23:23h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

Sending email to [email-masked] with subject line
containing the string "Acrobot" and a message body containing the string
"#vote " followed by the number of a proposal whose voting period has
not yet expired and the abbreviation (y n or p) of a valid vote (i.e.
the proper bot syntax) is not necessarily equivalent to sending one's
votes to the Promoter.

Guy Fawkes's Reasoning:

This statement more or less says that if Acrobot didn't count
your votes that you sent to it, and you didn't take the time to send
those votes to the Promoter by some other means, then the Promoter is
under no legal obligation to count them.

The rules require that votes must be sent to the Promoter in order to be
counted, although they do give a deal of leeway in how they are to be
sent.  Sending them via private email works, as does sending them
through the public mailing list (this assumes, of course, that the
Promoter's email is not bouncing).  Prior CFJ's even state that email is
not the essential medium, thereby allowing Mohammed to use a cgi script
to receive votes.

I maintain that sending one's votes to the promoter consists of two
parts: first, the voter must attempt to send the votes, and secondly,
the Promoter must receive them.  Via private email, if the vote message
bounces, one must attempt to mail them to the Promoter by other means.
The rules do not take into account the difficulties that real life
presents us: unless the promoter receives the votes, they were not
legally sent to him.  (One might think of the other case as sending
one's votes _at_ the promoter.)

The Acrobot and the voting web page, though not dealt with by the rules,
provide a convenient (at least for the Promoter, if not always for the
voter) method of sending one's votes to the Promoter.  When working
properly, they save the officer much effort in receiving and counting
votes.  When not working properly, however, they may even impede this
effort by impairing the Promoter's ability to receive votes.

It is publically knowable that mail sent to the Promoter with subject
line "Acrobot" is not immediately read by the Promoter, but handled
instead by the bot.  Furthermore, the Promoter has no reason to read
such mail unless he knows the bot is malfunctioning.  Under normal
circumstances, the bot is the Promoter's method of receiving votes,
although other methods are still legal.  When either through the fault
of the voter or the bot's programming, the bot does not successfully
receive the vote, and the Promoter is not alerted to this fact and
somehow receives the vote manually before the end of the voting period,
the vote was not sent to the Promoter.

The case that the vote was sent to the Promoter because he could have
received had he known there was a bot malfunction in time is frivolous.
By this same reasoning, one could post one's votes to an almost
universally accessible newsgroup (say alt.test) and say that nothing
impeded the Promoter from finding that vote had he known where it was in
time.  Also, take note of Rule 250, which I consider one of the most
important rules of the game.  "A player is a person..."  _not_ an email
address.  Unless the _person_ who is the Promoter receives a vote in
time, by whatever means necessary, it was not legally sent to him.

As a side-note, the whenever the Acrobot counts a player's votes, it
sends email to the voter's address informing him of this fact.  The
absence of this notification serves as a good indication of when the bot
failed to serve as the medium through which the Promoter receives his
votes.

Apologizing for the long reasoning, I summarize this statement in that
it is the voter's responsibility to make sure the Promoter receives eir
votes by whatever means necessary.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

The acrobot is not regulated by the rules, so therefore it is
Mohammed's own business how it operates.  The bot reads some of
[email-masked]'s incoming mail and posts public messages that the
Tabulator is required to post.  Mohammed does not repost these manually.
Therefore, I judge that Mohammed treats the bot as an extension of himself
for the purposes of performing his Tabulator job.

I know "a player is a person", but in order to send and receive e-mail,
a person has to use some sort of computer program.  I see no reason to
discriminate between the bot, other automated ways of sending messages
(such as cron jobs which more than one Scholar has used for sending
*ping* messages), and normal interactive e-mail programs -- all are
computer programs under the control of the person who is the player.

When mail is sent to [email-masked] in bot format, the bot reads
it and processes it.  By the reasoning above, mail the bot receives is
received by Mohammed.  Thus I find the statement false; mail sent to
Mohammed's email address in bot format is equivalent to mail sent to
Mohammed, and the bot format is a clear way of describing votes.
It is part of Mohammed's duty as Tabulator to count all valid votes
received within the time each proposal is open for voting, and therefore
it is his duty to watch for failures of the bot and account for them;
this may mean posting corrections to the bot's posted voting results.

Finally, I note that the statement of this CFJ ends "equivalent to
sending one's votes to the Promoter."  The office of Tabulator is
actually the one which handles voting on proposals; however, Mohammed
had both offices at the time the CFJ was submitted, and the bot handles
Promoter duties also, so it doesn't make a difference.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:03:49 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 412 (ThinMan)

Techno declined Judgement.

ThinMan has been selected at random.  Malenkai has attached his
public comments as Bronze Torch reasoning (rather than make it 
a second post, I just threw it on here for convienence).

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing many hats
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 412
  Subject: The Godfather Scam saga continues
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Techno (declined)
2nd Judge: ThinMan (selected Jun 20, 1997, 20:03h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Godfather did not properly ack Malenkai's wager on June 7.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

The Godfather said that the odds of a public message being posted by a
player other than Malenkai in the next 7 days was 530 to 1, and that
Malenkai was taking the A$1 side of that bet, thereby betting that a player
other than Malenkai _would_ post a message in the next 7 days.  The
message referenced in the Statement above quoted the header of a Proposal
written by Malenkai himself, _but distributed by Acrobot_, and claimed that
the message satisfied the conditions of the wager.

If, by CFJ 247, the Promoter is not responsible for the content of any
Proposal e distributes, it follows therefrom that, especially in a case
such as this(admittedly not mentioned anywhere in the Rules)where the
Promoter's Proposal-distribution duties are handled automatically, the
Promoter is in fact not truly the poster of any Proposals that e is not
the author of emself.

If this is the case, then the message acked by the Godfather as satisfying
the conditions of the wager was not posted by a player other than Malenkai,
Thus the ack made by the Godfather was invalid, and Malenkai did not
receive the money from his wager at that time.  The conditions of the wager
were amply satisfied in the next several days, but the Godfather was remiss
in acking the wager once its conditions were actually satisfied, so it may
be the case that Malenkai never got the money that was justly owed him by
the Narfalone Family before its untimely demise.  (Depending on when this
Judgement goes through, of course, retroactivity will have rendered the
point moot, so that we will be irrevocably in the thread where the
Godfather's goof went unnoticed until it was too late.)

[And since a CFCJ has already been called against Malenkai on this
matter, even though said CFCJ would not be voided by a TRUE judgement
on this CFJ, I would go so far as to encourage the judge to dally and
thus let retroactivity take its course, if e judge it TRUE.]

Malenkai's Bronze Torch Reasoning:

This CFJ should be judged FALSE, IMO, and I ask the Judge to consider
the following comments.  *Either* of two following arguments
is sufficient to arrive at a FALSE verdict.

First, the initiator tries to apply the principle of CFJ 247 to this
case, but that comparison is inappropriate.  CFJ 247 pertains to the
message (noun), and its content, meaning that a player sending a
message to an officer for distribution is considered the author of
the message, despite the fact that an officer other than the player
distributed it.

The wager announced by the Godfather refers to another player *posting*
(verb) a message.  Mohammed *posted* the message in question, regardless
of the fact that CFJ 247 will rule that it is a *message* by Malenkai,
it is a *post* to the list by Mohammed.  This is an important
distinction. (The fact that it is the bot is not relavent on either
side of the argument).

- --

The second argument comes from the old rule 1060 itself:

> When the issue is resolved, the treasury shall transfer the money to the > winner of the bet. Money in the account of the Narfalone Family
> belongs solely to the Narfalone Family and may not be transfered to any
> player by any means other than a wager.

> The Godfather is the only player permitted to speak or act on behalf
> of the Narfalone Family.  Players that object to his decisions are
> welcome to stop by the Narfalone Cement Factory and try on a pair
> of shoes.

The funny thing about this rule, and this has been known by some
players for awhile, is that the rule never *says* that the Godfather
has to *correctly* adjudicate the bet!  Indeed, the first section
quoted simply refers to the mechanics of the money being transferred on
the "resolution" of the bet, whilst the second section refers to the
arbirtaryness of the Godfather's decisions, with the statement to the
effect that there is little recourse if someone objects to one of them.
The language of these sections clearly leaves open the ability for the
Godfather to adjudicate the bet anyway he pleases.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:17:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 414 (Atilla the Pun)

Attilla the Pun has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing an authentic snowgod campaign prosthetic forehead
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 414
  Subject: Modest Proposals
Initiator: Robert Sevin
    Judge: Atilla the Pun (selected Jun 20, 1997, 20:17h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Proposal 2136 is not a Modest proposal.

Robert Sevin's Reasoning:

The rule governing Modest proposals declares that (delimited by ') 'A
proposal is considered to be Modest if and only if the author of the
proposal prefaces the proposal with the words "This is a Modest proposal".'
Proposal 2136 begins with (delimited by ') '{{This is a Modest proposal.'
The two braces preceding the declaration of modesty makes this a non-Modest
proposal.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:12:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trades, Transfers and Trinkets

> I am creating 5 trinkets, each of value A$1, called Monument to Futility
> Tickets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Each is a rather dirty stub of pink paper.

> I am offering to sell these tickets according to the following criteria:
> To any player possessing RHG juice or a RHG, I will sell one in exchange
> for Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice.  To all other players, I will sell
> one for A$6.

I'll buy MoF Ticket #3.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: AZTEC GOD 

Sorry for any confusion caused by my E-mail address.

It is aztec [email-masked].

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:32:19 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2079 accepted (Hmmm, Sounds Finnish to Me)

> Proposal 2079
> Hmmm, Sounds Finnish to Me

Probably Saami, but I'd be interested to know for sure.

> First, take all Runestone of Jukkasjarvi Fragments that are not owned by
> currently active players, and disperse them randomly amongst the currently
> active non-vacationing players.

This looks like it crashes pretty bad.  The fragments owned by the Undead
are unaffected, and those owned by vacationing players are.  Niccolo
Flychuck thus loses his 2 fragments, as he came back after the rule
was accepted.  Even if the undead part worked, I would think it 
unfortuante to take Niccolo's fragments whilst on a "legitimate" vacation.

=From rule 258:

> Entities that are owned by Undead cannot be manipulated in any way 
> except by an action of the Undead. This rule takes precedence over all
> other rules except [...]

IAC, 
RoJ 13 is transferred from Niccolo to /dev/joe
RoJ 16 is transferred from Niccolo to Guy Fawkes

> Second, create a Jukkasjarvi Mind Control Laser, and assign that randomly
> to a currently active non-vacationing player who did not receive a
> Runestone of Jukkasjarvi according to the first part of this rule.  }}

Antimatter receives a JMCL

#award Antimatter : JMCL

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:41:43 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: AZTEC GOD 

>Sorry for any confusion caused by my E-mail address.
>
>It is aztec [email-masked].

Without a space, though.  Correct?

a-z-t-e-c-g-zero-god?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Registrar

BTW, there's no problem, and nothing to apologize for.  We can be
meteculous with the details sometime, but we're just here to have fun.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:44:17 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News

> What is this new structure you are discussing? 

Its a class of gift entities that can be created on the fly, but have
no intrinsic value and cannot be destroyed as trinkets.  It would have
been perfect for the RoJ thing, as it would not have the problem of 
someone just destroying the trinkets, or like what happened with
the gumball and /dev/joe's fragments.  It would only be used for
treasure hunts and games of that sort; they would have no value 
otherwise, but would be generic enough to work regardless of the game
design, so long as the gist of it was passing stuff around, like RoJ.

BTW, for RoJ newbies, its sort of out of the spirit to destroy the
fragments (but other operations are ok).  Trinkets were the only thing
lying around at the time that I could use.

Malenkai
wondering if a flat earth would have a solstice.  AckaPhysicist?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:57:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: GOD

Amung Gods:

> If anyone has an objection to this player becoming a "GOD" they may 
> publicly say so and the matter will be brought to a CFJ. All objections 
> must be processed with in 5 days of the decloration of "GOD" request.
> If they are not, all are rendered null and void.

The 5 day limit has passed, and the matter has not yet been processed,
thus the objection is null and void.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:20:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Steel Flea Gazzette - June Issue

> The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different
> ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A
> rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode
> through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a
> slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

I've always heard "Scarborough" as rhyming with "dough"(and I'm not the
only one--Bruce Cockburn, who lives near there, sings it that way in his
song "The Coldest Night of The Year".  Of course, there may be multiple
Scarboroughs in the world, and other ones may pronounce the final syllable
with a schwa(which is what I believe is intended), so I won't call for a
retraction.

> The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without
> repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.

Yes, but what _is_ it?

> The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie."
> (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

...Are you 100% sure of this, or is this urban legend?  You'd think that
out of the dozens of people on the Net creating "The Annotated American
Pie", one of them would have known this, and I don't recall having seen it
there last time I looked...

Hmmm.  Maybe I _should_ apply for status as an Expert in BWG.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Cyndi Lauper:Twelve Deadly Cyns
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
'Don't just do something. SIT there!'

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:23:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News

> My plan is to create trinkets and place them up for auction.  Only players
> holding the specified trinkets will be able to participate (each trinket
> represents a role), but first I would like to get a feel for who would like
> to participate, so if this sounds interesting to you, please let me know.

Since I was actually in a murder mystery dinner theatre last year(I got to
play the Suth Efrican diplomet, Claus Von Riker, and do a bed Suth Efrican
eccent), I would be very much willing to do this.  As long as the Auction
doesn't go too high, 'cause I feel like my cash is draining away.  (I mean,
just 'cause I bought 4 kaas of land...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Cyndi Lauper:Twelve Deadly Cyns
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
The kittens in the Royale commercials have eyes like UFO aliens.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:28:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Steel Flea Gazzette - June Issue 

>> The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie."
>> (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)
>
>...Are you 100% sure of this, or is this urban legend?  You'd think that
>out of the dozens of people on the Net creating "The Annotated American
>Pie", one of them would have known this, and I don't recall having seen it
>there last time I looked...

I seem to recall hearing that also, but that doesn't really mean it's true.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:29:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Pre-Treasure Hunting News

> Malenkai
> wondering if a flat earth would have a solstice.  AckaPhysicist?

Obviously there's some orbiting light source, which happens to produce
not only cycles of light and darkness close to what people from Earth
would expect(though there's absolutely nothing about that in the
Rules), but also causes particular disturbances in the air currents at
certain critical points of its cycle.  But I don't have time to produce
actual translations from the Codex at this time.  I'm still working on the
Amber Banana Tree lifecycle.  Oh, yes, that reminds me:

#award Alfvaen: +1 Amber Banana Tree: planted on 6/6/96

My Seed has now yielded a Tree.  It's fully grown, though it won't be
fruiting for a little while yet...though we may get to P2199 more quickly
than one might have expected.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Cyndi Lauper:Twelve Deadly Cyns
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:39:57 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Steel Flea Gazzette - June Issue 

>
>...Are you 100% sure of this, or is this urban legend?  You'd think that
>out of the dozens of people on the Net creating "The Annotated American
>Pie", one of them would have known this, and I don't recall having seen it
>there last time I looked...

Hehe.  No, not sure, probably legend, but it does make sense if you listen
to the words.

Mr

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #152
*******************************