Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #151
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, June 20 1997         Volume 02 : Number 151

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:57:21 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tailor

> two-star wrote:
> 
> > Much as I was tempted to keep this in circulation as an evil hot
> > potato-- (/dev/joe and Thin Man, count yourselves lucky,) I am donating
> > Beldin's Parka to the Museum.
> 
> Beldin's Parka itself was eaten.
> 
> #award Museum : -1 beldin's parka :

Of course, the Museum is still the recipient of Beldin's Parka, right?  I
still think the next Tailor should change that "loses" to "gains".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--If I Were A Carpenter
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
By the time I have money to burn, my fire will be out.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 01:05:56 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chartreuse Elephant

I am going to Guy Fawkes house, assuming his permission, to
admire the Chartreuse Elephant, as I contemplate yet another
paradox win CFJ :)

Malenkai
world traveller

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 01:22:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RHG Auction

Mr. Lunatic Fringe had the high bid in my RHG auction, and is thus
halfway towards finding treasure 166.  The high bid was A$ 25.

#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe,Malenkai : 25 A$ :
#award Mr. Lunatic Fringe : right-handed grapefruit juice

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:46:07 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket

I am creating a trinket called Malenkai's Vase, value A$12.  It looks like
one of those "figure-ground" vase-face drawings if you look at it from the
right angle.  If you look at it from another angle, a pair of dark,
smoky eyes seem to be watching your every movement.  Although it looks
like onyx at first, it is actually made of the same sort of cheap
plastic as the Inky Bloater Decoys.  Or maybe of the same material as the
Inky Bloater itself...?

If Mr. Lunatic Fringe wants this vase, perhaps he can make me an offer of
some kind...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
the fact that empty is glorious is not the point.  --kaite mcgrew

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:50:37 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket 

I am creating a trinket called Thanatopsis, which looks like a dead guy,
reflecting on his life.  It is valued at A$27

#trinket Mr. Lunatic Fringe : Thanatopsis : 27

Mr. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:50:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bronze Torch 

>It is with great pleasure that I award both breadbox and Calvin
>N Hobbes Bronze Torches.  I have this long, elegant, and lauditory
>speech, unfortuately it is posted in another thread :-)

Thanks Malenkai.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:48:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Four Visitors: A Report

<applause>

The next time this is eligible for a Silver Moon, I think it should definitely
be nominated.

Now which web page does this go on?  W-File?  Phoebe?  ping?  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:54:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Four Visitors: A Report 

>"Including this one?" I smiled, pleased that I had been able to
>respond to his observation of a self-reference with another.

Perhaps I should be sneering at this report, but all I can say is... YEEES!

I'll add it as W-File Case #2, pending thread splits and what not.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:00:28 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Widget 

I am announcing the start of a public shubik auction for the Widget of
Yendor.  The auction will last three days.  Minimum bid is A$250.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:06:08 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 2129 

>The last use would be to try and get
>people to ote against your proposal, I leave this sort of manuever to Mr.
>Lunatic Fringe and company. =)

Who Me?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Grinning Evilly

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:42:20 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 413 (/dev/joe)

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> 
> As a side-note, the whenever the Acrobot counts a player's votes, it
> sends email to the voter's address informing him of this fact.  The
> absence of this notification serves as a good indication of when the bot
> failed to serve as the medium through which the Promoter receives his
> votes.

I may have not made it clear before, but I did receive notification. The
bot claimed I was on Vacation. I claim that at the time I was not on
Vacation.
Game Custom is that if a player votes prior to eir leaving on Vacation,
their votes are counted anyway. I believe that this is the case here as
well, and while Guy Fawkes' extensive is fascinating, it's a bit of an
overkill.

Niccolo Flychuck
Nocturnal Voter

 > 
> Apologizing for the long reasoning, I summarize this statement in that
> it is the voter's responsibility to make sure the Promoter receives eir
> votes by whatever means necessary.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:51:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bronze Torch

> It is with great pleasure that I award both breadbox and Calvin
> N Hobbes Bronze Torches.  I have this long, elegant, and lauditory
> speech, unfortuately it is posted in another thread :-)

I have an equally long and flowery acceptance speech; unfortunately,
the margin of this thread is too narrow to contain it. So, I'll just
say: thanks a lot, friend.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 02:05:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Unhogging the Harf 

The following proposals are declared Harfy:

P2109 "Ackanomicon" (Vynd)
P2117 "Mathematical Oddities" (Robert Sevin)
P2122 "Quark on Rye" (two-star)

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:13:06 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Tower 

I am going to the tower of bandwidth and cavorting with the various
entities that may or may not be there.  Yee-Haw!

Mr.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 02:47:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official correction

Niccolo flychuck cast the following votes at the times specified.
These votes did not, as it happens, affect the result of any of the
proposals in question.  However, they will affect scores and possibly
financial details as of the end of the cycle... could I have
confirmation of this?

I have labelled the votes below (a) for accepted and (r) for rejected,
with the word spelled out in the cases where Mr. Flychuck voted against
the majority.

The bot did not receive any votes from Niccolo Flychuck after P2054.
Amung Gods was proposal 2059, and it looks like its status remains
unchanged.

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 11:51:38 +0300 (EET DST)
#vote 2035 y  (rejected anyway)

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 01:07:54 +0300 (EET DST)
#vote 2038 y  (a)
#vote 2039 y  (a)

#vote 2041 y  (a)
#vote 2042 y  (a)
#vote 2043 n  (accepted anyway)
#vote 2044 y  (a)
#vote 2045 y  (rejected anyway)
#vote 2046 y  (a)
#vote 2047 n  (accepted anyway)
#vote 2048 y  (a)
#vote 2049 n  (accepted anyway)
#vote 2050 y  (a)
#vote 2051 y  (a)
#vote 2052 y  (a)
#vote 2053 n  (r)
#vote 2054 y  (retr)

- -- 
Mohammed
A singing con artist from Brazil taunted a babbling bald slick glamorous
nomad from Canada.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:05:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: They Might Be New Players (Barry)

So it's midnight, and I'm in bed.  In the distance I can hear Mold and
Scold hammering away on their case, but here in La Casa del Se=F1or Lunatic
=46ringe (Aka snowgod's beach cottage) all seemed peaceful.  Well, Except fo=
r
that one little thing that's nagging at my brainstem, keeping me awake.

What was it?  Why couldn't I sleep?  Post a treasure map? Yeah, maybe, but
that's not it.  Report on the Machine?  No, breadbox has it.  Vote on an
internomic prop? No.  But closer.

Thats it!  I have official duties to do.  Registrarial duties, to be exact.
I have a new player to introduce to the group!

So I run upstairs, turn on the computer, and begin typing away.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce to you the following new player,
one AZTEC GOD, real name Jesse Czaja <[email-masked]>.  AZTEC GOD, no
relation to myself, I might add as Aztec's and snow are usually not found
in the same place at the same time, has decided to become a Voting Player.

"In response to the market research question he writes:

>
>Searching the Web for PBM games.  I found a game called nomic and took a lo=
ok
>at that and there was ackanomic and it sounded like one of the better games=
=2E

"The esteemed senator and all around Harfy Fellow, Robert Sevin (Aka Barry)
has been selected as his mentor.

"That is almost all.

"Sunflare is no longer a player.

"That is all.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:15:21 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Widget 

If it is possible to do so, I hereby recall (recant?) my call for an
auction on the Widget of Yendor do to an unintentional typographic error.
Thanks to breadbox, for pointing it out.  It is it not possible, I will
sign a contract, that may fix the error.

Mr. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:22:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Four Visitors: A Report

	This is utter balderdash.  Flagrant sensationalism.  A claw is
a claw, and nobody has seen a talking claw.  Such concoctions belong
in Ye Olde Rusty Lantern....

- -- 
Mohammed
A extravagant stork from Juneau.  Enough said.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:59:47 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 2130

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> The title "Nine for Mortal Men Doomed To Die" is really bugging me,

Lord of the Rings - Tolkien. 

Three rings for the Elven Kings under the sky
Seven for the Dwarf Lords in their Halls of Stone
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die
One for a Dark Lord on his Dark Throne

In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
One ring rule to rule them all 
One ring to find them
One ring to pull them all
and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

(I might have a couple of words wrong  - this is from memory)

Niccolo Flychuck

> though. It sounds vaguely familiar, but not as a TMBG reference.
> (Unless it's the Morse code in "Pencil Rain".)
> 
> breadbox
> not a rabid fan, but lived with rabid fans back in 1989
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:01:45 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Might as well

I am hereby returning from Vacation.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:49:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Widget

> If it is possible to do so, I hereby recall (recant?) my call for an
> auction on the Widget of Yendor do to an unintentional typographic error.

I do not believe that is possible.  Sorry :(

Malenkai
"Auction" is the black sheep of Malenkai's rules

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:32:38 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

Because of technical difficulties, I hereby retract proposal 2130

#retract 2130

We now resume our regularly scheduled BWG.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:25:29 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Very quick (make that not-so-quick,) retraction

**Alexandre Muniz wrote:
> 
> **Alexandre Muniz wrote:
> >
> > I am retracting proposal 2120
> >
> > **two-star
> 
> I am retracting proposal 2121
> 
> **two-star

I am retracting proposal 2122

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:32:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Four Visitors: A Report

> The next time this is eligible for a Silver Moon, I think it should
> definitely be nominated.

> Now which web page does this go on?  W-File?  Phoebe?  ping?  :-)

The whole thing is a W-file report, so it goes on that page.
I am putting an appropriate excerpt from the report on the Phoebe page too.
If you check the date at the top of the report, the *ping* is from a few
days ago, and has already been reported as usual for the Machine's pings.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:08:17 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Automatic Sculptures

Reading through the Blueprint, I find that there is no provision for the
Trinket created by an Automatic Sculpture to get a description...just a
name.  This is a minor point, but it should probably be fixed...

Now I can see three possibilities.  1) The original creator of the AS
describes it when it is dug up.  (But what if that person has left the
game?  Maybe the one who's buried it, or the custodian of the map,
instead...)  2) The finder of the AS gets to describe it.  Not much problem
with this one...  3) A player is selected at random to describe it.  Sounds
like more fun, in my opinion, but there should be some reward for that
player if it does happen, or a penalty if it doesn't, and that might be a
hassle.

I'd like 3), but would be willing to settle for 2).  Any other opinions on
the matter?  Consider this an RFC.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
But tonight the tarmac shall feast!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:23:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Otzma Boon

As a result of the Quantum Inflation the universe underwent yesterday, I
have gained insight into the Wisdom of the Ancients.  Hearken unto me for
what wisdom I have gained!

Otzma Card of type Skeleton Key

This card may only be played in the public forum.

By playing this card, a Player may do one of the following things:

1.  Gain entrance to any location e would otherwise not be able to gain
    entrance to, if and only if e has already declared eir intention to
    enter.
2.  Free emself, or another player, from a Gaol cell.

Counter-Action: The player is returned to the last location e was in before
playing the Card, and cannot perform any action that would require leaving
that location for the remainder of the day.

At any given time there may be at most 5 Cards of this type.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Vaughan Brothers:Tick Tock
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
He flung himself on his horse and rode madly off in all directions.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Automatic Sculptures

> Now I can see three possibilities.  1) The original creator of the AS
> describes it when it is dug up.  (But what if that person has left the
> game?  Maybe the one who's buried it, or the custodian of the map,
> instead...)  2) The finder of the AS gets to describe it.  Not much problem
> with this one...  3) A player is selected at random to describe it.  Sounds
> like more fun, in my opinion, but there should be some reward for that
> player if it does happen, or a penalty if it doesn't, and that might be a
> hassle.

If you're talking RFC, I think the best thing would be #1 if possible,
else #2. I don't like #3 only because it brings a previously
uninvolved third party into the picture, which is extra
work/complication for a questionable increase in harf.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:52:06 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: An Interesting String

"Jukkasjarvi Cheez-Whiz 34259945"

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Our Lady Peace:Naveed
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
I think you've hit the nail squarely on the end with the flat thing on it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:00:30 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: So Close

Too bad I didn't get blown up!  All I'd have to do right now is retract a
CFJ or something, and my stars would be aligned!  Oh, well...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
Deprive a mirror of its silver and even the Czar won't see his face.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:40:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: AZTEC GOD

AZTEC GOD's starting cash in the thread where Azpiazu does not exist
is A$715, based on A$ 20734 owned by 29 other players.  (If Azpiazu
exists then the end-of-cycle tax will reduce that average somewhat.)

Also, I believe AZTEC GOD's real e-mail address is [email-masked],
with a numeral 0 not a letter o.  He tried to subscribe himself to
some of the lists last night, but in his subscribe commands listed his
email address with a space in it ("AZTEC [email-masked]") and majordomo
rejected this.  I corrected this, and also Mr. Lunatic Registrar's
attempt to sign up [email-masked] on all the lists, an email address
which bounces (though right at the moment, not much is getting anywhere
on AOL -- their mail servers are overloaded and unable to accept mail).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:54:15 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Widget 

>> If it is possible to do so, I hereby recall (recant?) my call for an
>> auction on the Widget of Yendor do to an unintentional typographic error.
>
>I do not believe that is possible.  Sorry :(
>
>Malenkai
>"Auction" is the black sheep of Malenkai's rules

I hereby create a contract that reads

If will repay to the highest bidder in the auction for the widget of yendor
a sum of A$100 as soon as possible after I recieve payment, so long as the
price paid for the widget is less than or equal to A$500.

I name this contract "Bob" if it needs a name. I sign it.  Others are
encouraged to sign too (Boy, could that drive prices up)

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

Who meant t call an auction for A$150

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:59:24 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic Proposal 337 

There is a new Internomic Proposal 337, proposed by Mirconomic II (Aka
MacroNomic).  VOting period ends in two weeks, or when all member nomics
(including internomic) have voted.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Ambassador

_________

Add a mutable rule to read:

Whenever a proposal fails, Internomic shall receive two (2) points for every
vote cast FOR that proposal.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:56:02 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: SVH

I just noticed that there was no Silly Vacation Hat created for Joon on the
5th, which was 14 days after e left(on May 22nd; in fact, that was eir
expected date of return...)  Thankfully, this is more than 14 days in the
past now, so retroactivity assures us that e really didn't need a SVH after
all.  So we don't have to submit another CFCJ against Malenkai...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
I have a funhouse rearview mirror.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:02:20 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: AZTEC GOD 

>AZTEC GOD's starting cash in the thread where Azpiazu does not exist
>is A$715, based on A$ 20734 owned by 29 other players.  (If Azpiazu
>exists then the end-of-cycle tax will reduce that average somewhat.)
>
>Also, I believe AZTEC GOD's real e-mail address is [email-masked],
>with a numeral 0 not a letter o.  He tried to subscribe himself to
>some of the lists last night, but in his subscribe commands listed his
>email address with a space in it ("AZTEC [email-masked]") and majordomo
>rejected this.  I corrected this, and also Mr. Lunatic Registrar's
>attempt to sign up [email-masked] on all the lists, an email address
>which bounces (though right at the moment, not much is getting anywhere
>on AOL -- their mail servers are overloaded and unable to accept mail).
>
>/dev/joe

Hmm.  Since he tried to subscribe AZTEC GOD has given me three different
mail addresses.  First there was AZTEC [email-masked] (which I knwe was
wrong).  THen he tried [email-masked] (with an o) but that seems to not
be working (my mail to him bounced.  Then he tried another variation, but
never has he sent me the aztecg0d.  I will try sending him the welcome
packet at that address.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:06:28 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Widget

> I hereby create a contract that reads
> 
> If will repay to the highest bidder in the auction for the widget of yendor
> a sum of A$100 as soon as possible after I recieve payment, so long as the
> price paid for the widget is less than or equal to A$500.
> 
> I name this contract "Bob" if it needs a name. I sign it.  Others are
> encouraged to sign too (Boy, could that drive prices up)

As long as nobody changes their name to "If", we should be okay.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
I'm starting up a line of evil voodoo greeting cards.  [Meryn Cadell]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:17:28 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Widget 

>> I hereby create a contract that reads
>>
>> If will repay to the highest bidder in the auction for the widget of yendor
>> a sum of A$100 as soon as possible after I recieve payment, so long as the
>> price paid for the widget is less than or equal to A$500.
>>
>> I name this contract "Bob" if it needs a name. I sign it.  Others are
>> encouraged to sign too (Boy, could that drive prices up)
>
>As long as nobody changes their name to "If", we should be okay.  :-)

Hehe, but I think that counts a an unambigous spelling error for the
spelling rule.  It should say I

Mr. Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:14:20 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC

I can see Malenkai's point about the Anti-Gumball thing.  You have a 50%
chance of getting a Boon of The Ancients, and a 50% of losing all trinkets
and gadgets(but anyone seriously intending this will take precautions, as
/dev/joe and I did), 10 points, and getting to go the Ackanomic Afterlife
(which was my real aim yesterday...:-).  There should be some more
possibilities here:

Just to throw out a few ideas:

- --If the player is in a location with a building, that building loses its
suction grip and starts to dangle.  If there's no building...well, maybe it
blows a hole in Ackanomic, creating a kaa of empty space...though what the
precise effects of that would be, I don't know.  I'm sure something harfy
could be done with it, though.

- --The W-File pair show up and take the player away for interrogation...

- --The player becomes Radioactive, and may not possess any living entities
(the Chartreuse Goose, Little Lamb, Frankenstein Monsters, something like
that)for thirty days.  (There may be other effects here, too...)

- --An energy vortex exchanges the player's score with that of another
player, chosen at random.

- --An energy spike causes a Bonus Vote to be created and instantly used to
vote against one of the Player's proposals in the queue, if any.
(Otherwise no effect.)

Let me know what you think of these, or suggest others...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Carpenters:Top of The World
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
To know recusion, you must first know recursion.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:38:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Leaving 

I would like to leave the game at this time, perhaps to return when I have
more free time to read the piles of dumb e-mail this game has. Have a nice
day!

CV1701

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:58:43 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Internomic Proposal 337 

>There is a new Internomic Proposal 337, proposed by Mirconomic II (Aka
>MacroNomic).  VOting period ends in two weeks, or when all member nomics
>(including internomic) have voted.
>
>Mr. Lunatic Fringe
>Ambassador
>

I hereby initiate a senate vote on it.

>
>_________
>
>Add a mutable rule to read:
>
>Whenever a proposal fails, Internomic shall receive two (2) points for every
>vote cast FOR that proposal.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:01:27 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Attitudes 

The senate of Ackanomic has voted to ally ourselves with internomic.  A
vote on the matter of declaring Ackanomic an Enemy of Ackanomic failed (but
would not work anyway).

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:30:51 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Internomic Proposal (Niccolo Flychuck)

Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >WHEREAS Agora is currently engaged in hostile activites toward Rishonomic,
> >in the form an influx of Agoran Players in that Nomic under false
> >identities, with the goal of unilaterally alter Rishnomic's Ruleset,
> >installing one of their number as Speaker of Rishonomic, and other forms of
> >attack, and
> 
> I hope the above isn't a true image of reality. I also hope that if at any
> time, Rishonomic is under threat from another nomic, it will ask Acka to
> help. I'd like to think that if Acka needed help, Rishonomic would help us
> out. Acka has many reasons to help Rishonomic on a humanitarian level, if
> not a cultural one. There are also political reasons, the most important
> being the containment of the colonial aspirations of the Agoran Empire.    ; )

I assure you, most of the above is false. No Agoran Players (well, only a 
couple) are infiltrating Rishonomic under false identites; they, AFAIK, have no 
intentions of installing one of their own as Speaker of Rishonomic, or any 
other form of attack. The above proposal was submitted by a disgruntled (and 
highly Dishonorable) player of Agora, who's Kudos rating just dropped MANY 
points for those lies.

Oh, and there is not Agoran Empire, and it certainly has no colonial 
aspirations. MacroNomic (formerly MN II), on the other hand... :-)

> Should you ever need anyone to come in, vote a few times and then leave, you
> know where to find me. I'm sure there are others here who would do something
> on an individual level too.

I doubt that will be neccessary. I don't believe the number of Agoran players 
attempting to infiltrate Rishonomic is anywhere near enough to pass a proposal.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:30:51 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Silver Shovel

Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>   This has a loophole.  The holder of the Silver Shovel contract can simply
> give it to another player and then destroy the shovel.  You should have
> said "all signees of this contract".

It's the holder of the Silver Shovel, not the holder of the contract.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:27:12 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> I can see Malenkai's point about the Anti-Gumball thing.  You have a 50%
> chance of getting a Boon of The Ancients, and a 50% of losing all trinkets
> and gadgets(but anyone seriously intending this will take precautions, as
> /dev/joe and I did), 10 points, and getting to go the Ackanomic Afterlife
> (which was my real aim yesterday...:-).  There should be some more
> possibilities here:
> 
> Just to throw out a few ideas:
> 
[a few ideas snipped]
> 
> Let me know what you think of these, or suggest others...
> 

I don't like randomness in general, and would like to see as little as
possible in the game. I think the proposed Ackanomicon sets up a fair
mechanism for anyone who wants to leave eir fate to Chaos, but I don't
care for the gumballs. Aside from the nature of the gumball pair's
effects, the fact that a big boom makes the gumballs unchewable forces
players to schedule their gumball chewing as close to the beginning of
the Ackanomic day, which is both unfair to people who can't access the
net at that exact time, and a potential Hubert.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:28:56 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mortal Men doomed to die

Uri Bruck <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Three rings for the Elven Kings under the sky
> Seven for the Dwarf Lords in their Halls of Stone
> Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die
> One for a Dark Lord on his Dark Throne
> 
> In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
> One ring rule to rule them all 
> One ring to find them
> One ring to pull them all
> and in the darkness bind them
> In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

Only two words wrong ("a Dark Lord" instead of "the Dark Lord" and "pull" 
instead of "bring"), but some other errors:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
  Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
  One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jun 1997 16:47:32 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Trades, Transfers and Trinkets 

I am creating 5 trinkets, each of value A$1, called Monument to Futility
Tickets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Each is a rather dirty stub of pink paper.

#trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 1: 1
#trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 2: 1
#trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 3: 1
#trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 4: 1
#trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 5: 1

I am offering to sell these tickets according to the following criteria:
To any player possessing RHG juice or a RHG, I will sell one in exchange
for Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice.  To all other players, I will sell
one for A$6.

All players possessing one of these trinkets have permission to come to
my house to see the Tower, for whatever reason they might have.

Also, I am offering to sell my Evil Ballot Stuffer for A$25 in case
anyone has an immediate need for an extra vote (Act Quickly!).

Thirdly, I am offering two-star four Bonus Votes.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:20:04 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Acka: Treasure Again 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  'acka'
Subject:  RE:  Acka: Treasure Again
Date: 1997-06-20 16:23
Priority: 3
Message ID: 5B74383770E9D011948C0060976638FA
Conversation ID: RE:  Acka: Treasure Again

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you mean to bury the 500 misplaced acka pennies?

Techno

A couple well-mannered sensational musical grasshoppers from Zaire got
into a shouting match with a nun from Duluth.

 -----Original Message-----
From: aaron [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 1997 5:41 PM
Subject:  Acka: Treasure Again

Having buried the Exquisite Dead Guy, and finished the Tagline
Attribution Quiz, I am now burying the Hubert Feathers and the Five
Hundred Misplaced Ackadollars--just cause I got another treasure map
idea.  I am revealing the following portion of the map:

9D2FAEE4F353B636932019656968F69FE17EB295D007
A68FAEE67C947AC3E5E6DADFBFE089582EDC8E85F127
36BDB4B3D8BBF30EAECA958602ED481195E25D2786C9

 --
 --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Wham!:Edge of Heaven
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
Please eat up quickly once the package is opened by you.  --AjD

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:16:12 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic P338 

There is a new internomic proposal, number 338, proposed by our own Robert
Sevin of Ackanomic.  I hereby initiate a senate vote on it.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Ambassador

PS - Did anyone notice ackanomic becoming fun again? :)

Proposal 338

Create a new rule with the following text:

A member nomic's score is defined as the number of points they possess.
Whenever a member nomic's score is a positive prime number (note that 1 is
not a prime number), their score shall be instantly increased by 1 point.
Whenever a member nomic's score is a positive perfect square, their score
shall be instantly decreased by 2 points.
Whenever a member nomic's score is equal to 57, their score shall be
instantly changed to 137.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:12:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure Again

>> Having buried the Exquisite Dead Guy, and finished the Tagline
>> Attribution Quiz, I am now burying the Hubert Feathers and the Five
>> Hundred Misplaced Ackadollars--just cause I got another treasure map
>> idea.  I am revealing the following portion of the map:

> Did you mean to bury the 500 misplaced acka pennies?

Yes, in fact, I did.  :-(  Does this fall under the Spelling rule, or
do I still have the Ackapennies rather than them being buried?  From
the Web pages, it seems that /dev/joe thinks I don't, and Malenkai
thinks I do.  :-)

If they aren't buried, I promise that I will give them to the finder of
the Hubert Feathers, but I don't feel like burying them as another
treasure, or writing up a Contract, so I reserve the right to change my
mind.  They didn't get blown up in Earth-Shattering Kaboom, at any rate.

> A couple well-mannered sensational musical grasshoppers from Zaire got
> into a shouting match with a nun from Duluth.

Say, that looks familiar...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Rod Stewart:Young Turks
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
'Maybe someday we'll settle down.'  'Yeah.  Like silt.'  [The Frantics]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:17:32 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC

> I don't like randomness in general, and would like to see as little as
> possible in the game.

I take it you voted against "Probabilistic Justice", then?  :-)  Actually,
so did I, but I do like an occasional bit of randomness.  Well, to be
honest, tons of it, but _structured_ randomness.  :-)  (One of my mottos is
"Be inconsistent, but don't do it all the time.")

> I think the proposed Ackanomicon sets up a fair
> mechanism for anyone who wants to leave eir fate to Chaos, but I don't
> care for the gumballs. Aside from the nature of the gumball pair's
> effects, the fact that a big boom makes the gumballs unchewable forces
> players to schedule their gumball chewing as close to the beginning of
> the Ackanomic day, which is both unfair to people who can't access the
> net at that exact time, and a potential Hubert.

I will point out that I did manage to chew them yesterday sometime later
then the beginning of the Ackanomic day...  If, in addition to the varying
effects, there was the chance that chewing them did nothing whatsoever, and
no stratosphere-blowing occurred(although that player would not be able to
chew them both again that day or anything)...

(Oh, and I thought of another possible effect--name scrambling, a la the
former Blue Thing, but only on the chewing player.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Rod Stewart:Young Turks
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
The turning world will sing our souls to sleep.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:22:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball RFC 

>I take it you voted against "Probabilistic Justice", then?  :-)  Actually,
>so did I, but I do like an occasional bit of randomness.  Well, to be
>honest, tons of it, but _structured_ randomness.  :-)  (One of my mottos is
>"Be inconsistent, but don't do it all the time.")

What's unstructured about the randomness in Probabilistic Justice? That's a
fine proposal.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:24:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trades, Transfers and Trinkets

> I am creating 5 trinkets, each of value A$1, called Monument to Futility
> Tickets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Each is a rather dirty stub of pink paper.
> 
> #trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 1: 1
> #trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 2: 1
> #trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 3: 1
> #trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 4: 1
> #trinket Guy Fawkes: Ticket 5: 1
> 
> I am offering to sell these tickets according to the following criteria:
> To any player possessing RHG juice or a RHG, I will sell one in exchange
> for Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice.  To all other players, I will sell
> one for A$6.

I will buy one.

#transfer Alfvaen, Guy Fawkes : A$6 : Ticket purchase
#transfer Guy Fawkes, Alfvaen : Monument to Futility Ticket 5 : Ticket purchase
(That way I don't run into problems if somebody's already bought Ticket
1...:-)

> All players possessing one of these trinkets have permission to come to
> my house to see the Tower, for whatever reason they might have.

I will go from the Tower of Bandwidth to Xanadu, for the express purpose of
examining the Monument to Futility better in case I want to make any more
models of it out of tongue depressors in the future.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Tears For Fears:Elemental
Current Book--Jo Clayton:The Snares of Ibex
"Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave."

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #151
*******************************