Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #138
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, June 15 1997         Volume 02 : Number 138

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:00:51 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Champions 

>I believe I am already wearing my Champion's Cloak.  If not, I don it
>now.
>
>In honor of the Chicago Bulls victory in the 1997 NBA championships, I
>turn up the speakers in the cloak to the maximum, and play some Queen.
>[See the description of the cloak for the details.]
>
>ThinMan

I remember this cloak fondly from when ThinMan described it the frist time.
Oh what a wonderful cloak, and what a wonderful gift of description ThinMan
has.  Who besides me remembers ThinMan's wonderful prize winnging SVH
design for Robert Sevin.  Ooh, that little pink strap...

Mr. Lunatic TMBSG Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:18:16 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Beldin's Parka

Inky Blotter Decoy #43 is eaten by the Beldin's Pants rule this
week.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:23:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The harf.

The harf has instructed me, in my role as Harfmeister, to designate
Proposals 2070 and 2072 as harfy.  The harf is very sad that it could not
also have a number of other worthy proposals designated harfy as well, but
is sure that their inherent harfieness will shine through regardless.

                            - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:39:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 407 (Bascule)

Bascule has been picked.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 407
  Subject: Continuous Creation
Initiator: Robert Sevin
    Judge: Bascule (selected Jun 14, 1997, 01:38h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Rule 714 (Cow Town Hotel) continually creates the Hotel named Cow Town.

Robert Sevin's Reasoning:

Rule 714 says "This rule establishes a Hotel named Cow Town.". It does not
say that it establishes the hotel only when the rule is created, therefore I
conclude that this statement must always be in effect, and therefore it is
continuously establishing the Cow Town Hotel. On the other hand, two
locations can't have the same name, so this rule might be in conflict with
other rules.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:43:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RHG Juice

I am creating some Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice.
I am auctioning it in a private auction to start now, and last
3 days.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:53:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My plethora of proposals 

Ok, that's enough proposals for one evening. Brings back memories from the
first week of Acka, when all I did was make proposals...

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 02:11:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 406 (Vynd)

I refuse judgement on this CFJ.  This Azpiazu buisness is bad enough.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 02:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lantern

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Malenkai wrote:

> The ante is A$20.  The players and play order are below.  There are

OK, I am antying up my A$20.

                                       - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 07:37:15 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: My plethora of proposals

> Ok, that's enough proposals for one evening. Brings back memories from the
> first week of Acka, when all I did was make proposals...
> 
> Robert Sevin

*APPLAUSE*

Please continue. I very much enjoy reading them, even if they fail.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 02:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Literature

I'm planning on whomping up a big addition to the literature list, to go
at the end of some ammendments I would like to make to that rule.  In the
interest of getting a list large enough so that we will really see some
action, I am asking all of you to send me the names of anything you'd
especially like to see on it.  I'd also appreciate it if you didn't vote
against it just because it ends up having an artist or work or two that
you aren't a big fan of on it, you can take them off again later, without
holding the other people off the list.  So go ahead and mail me, but make
it fast or I probably won't get you in, I'm gonna write this sucker by
Monday I hope.

                                          - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 02:58:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: House

I am hearby renaming my house to: Somewhere Else

                                  - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:22:21 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Literature

Vynd

> I'm planning on whomping up a big addition to the literature list, to go
> at the end of some ammendments I would like to make to that rule.  In the
> interest of getting a list large enough so that we will really see some
> action, I am asking all of you to send me the names of anything you'd
> especially like to see on it.  I'd also appreciate it if you didn't vote
> against it just because it ends up having an artist or work or two that
> you aren't a big fan of on it, you can take them off again later, without
> holding the other people off the list.  So go ahead and mail me, but make
> it fast or I probably won't get you in, I'm gonna write this sucker by
> Monday I hope.
> 
> 
>                                           - Vynd
> 
> [email-masked]

Monty Python!!!!!

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:37:11 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 407 (Bascule) 

>Bascule has been picked.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
>------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Call For Judgment 407
>  Subject: Continuous Creation
>Initiator: Robert Sevin
>    Judge: Bascule (selected Jun 14, 1997, 01:38h EDT)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>Rule 714 (Cow Town Hotel) continually creates the Hotel named Cow Town.
>
>Robert Sevin's Reasoning:
>
>Rule 714 says "This rule establishes a Hotel named Cow Town.". It does not
>say that it establishes the hotel only when the rule is created, therefore I
>conclude that this statement must always be in effect, and therefore it is
>continuously establishing the Cow Town Hotel. On the other hand, two
>locations can't have the same name, so this rule might be in conflict with
>other rules.

Aha!  Now why can't aI be selected to judge a CFJ like this?  I have a
definite opinion here (one which I will share for A$15) :)

Mr. Lunatic

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:40:08 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: My plethora of proposals 

>Ok, that's enough proposals for one evening. Brings back memories from the
>first week of Acka, when all I did was make proposals...
>
>Robert Sevin

Ah, speaking of which...

That's how I (when I made proposals) made proposals.  In a big batch, sort
of like a shotgun approach.  One of them always passed and caused some sort
of trouble and all sorts of CFJs.  Heck, if it wasn't for me, there would
have been 15 less paradox win attempts :)

I don't know if anyone remembers, but a look at the proposal archive would
show you that "The Fat Lady" was one of a series of proposals that were
based on cliches.   I think it might have also been around the time that
Mohammed blasted me for "The Exception" :) [there is an exception to every
rule]

Mr L

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:46:26 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: House 

>I am hearby renaming my house to: Somewhere Else
>
>
>                                  - Vynd
>
>[email-masked]

That sort of reminds me of my first four months in Ackanomic, where
everyday I had to resist the urge to change my name to "Ackanomic" legal,
because Ackanomic wasn't within itself.

Mr L

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 07:46:06 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Literature

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC7897.07221440
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Bascule [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Saturday, June 14, 1997 4:22 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Acka: Literature

Vynd

> I'm planning on whomping up a big addition to the literature list, to go
> at the end of some ammendments I would like to make to that rule.  In the
> interest of getting a list large enough so that we will really see some
> action, I am asking all of you to send me the names of anything you'd
> especially like to see on it.  I'd also appreciate it if you didn't vote
> against it just because it ends up having an artist or work or two that
> you aren't a big fan of on it, you can take them off again later, without
> holding the other people off the list.  So go ahead and mail me, but make
> it fast or I probably won't get you in, I'm gonna write this sucker by
> Monday I hope.
> 
> 
>                                           - Vynd
> 
> [email-masked]

Monty Python!!!!!

Bascule
 
The cat in the hat and other dr.suess collection's

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC7897.07221440
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC7897.07221440--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 10:30:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: House

> I am hearby renaming my house to: Somewhere Else

I thought as soon as that Somewhere Else CFJ came out
that Red Barn would create a Trinket under that name 
or something.  This seems even more interesting.

Malenkai
wishes he could be an observer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:12:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 406 (CnH)

CFJ 406 has been reassigned to CnH.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 406
  Subject: CFJ 394 revisited
Initiator: mr cwm
    Judge: Lunatic Fringe (declined)
2nd Judge: Vynd (declined)
3rd Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (selected Jun 14, 1997, 11:12h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

A judge returning a verdict of TRUE on a CFCJ with the statement "mr cwm
has broken the rules" is a game action appearing equally legal and
illegal.

mr cwm's Reasoning:

This is the same statement as CFJ 394, the Judge's reasoning in which,
although setting a precedent for an extremely useful category of
statements, namely, the indeterminate, I find rather unsatisfying in that
it does not address the problem at hand.

Consider that reasoning:  it declares the CFJ FALSE because the statement
published in is is not untrue, but is, rather, indeterminate.  But what
happens if we accept that the statement is indeterminate?  Why, it must be
untrue, since it claims to be untrue, but we have just accepted it as
indeterminate.  So if it is indeterminate, it must be untrue, and by the
same reasoning presented in the initiator's reasoning of that CFJ, if it
is untrue it must be true, etc.

Really, though, I didn't get to know the Chartreuse Goose very well before
it left for Bascule's.  I've got a nice room prepared for it, now.

"This is a Paradox Win CFJ"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:16:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 402 Verdict

CFJ 402 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 402
  Subject: Azpiazu
Initiator: /dev/joe
    Judge: Alfvaen (declined)
2nd Judge: Vynd (selected Jun 08, 1997, 17:22h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

The Blueprint for Azpiazu, a Frankenstein Monster, does not exist.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

Sorry, I don't have time to write all this out, but see e-mail on
both sides of the issue by myself and other players in the thread
with "Azpiazu Blueprint" in the subject line.

Vynd's Reasoning:

Despite /dev/joe's lack of reaoning, he is clearly trying to
get at the idea that the Blueprint-under-construction was not, actually,
writen such that all further parts would be rejected.  He claims that by
arbitrarily stating that all further sentences were inb conclict with the
first sentence, the first sentences does not create any actual conflicts.
One of the examples of a conflict given in Rule 597 is "a
self-contradictory blueprint."  In my opinion, nothing could be more
self-contradictory than Blueprint which claims to be in conflict with
itself, except perhaps a Blueprint that claims to be in conflict with
itself even though it isn't.  Seeing as how Azpiazu's
Blueprint-under-construction is either one or the other of these
self-contradictory Blueprints, I feel it was legal and correct for Alfvaen
to put forward the actual Blueprint for Azpiazu.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:46:20 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: President

Mohammed is elected president.

Alfvaen (1)
- -------
breadbox

Mohammed (8)
- --------
Alfvaen
Mohammed
Vynd
Evil Ballot Stuffer
/dev/joe
ThinMan
mr cwm
two-star

Techno (5)
- ------
Robert Sevin
fnord
Lunatic Fringe
Techno
Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:12:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: names 

>> I am changing my name by adding three-fourths of a "z" to the end of it.
>
>Hmmmm...I'm not 100% sure this will work, because Rule 500.1 specifies that
>an entity name(and players are entities)must consist of a sequence of
>characters from a defined set...and I don't know if such a sequence can
>have a fractional character on the end of it.  I'd wager that if were to go
>to a CFJ, it would be declared invalid.  (And, of course, our Registrar
>could refuse to do it, too...)

ICOCBW, but I believe that a name must consist of between one and twenty name
characters.  I have been unable to find anything in the rules stating that a
name must have a whole number of characters; therefore, since 14.75 is
between 1 and 20, IMO this should work (to the best of my knowledge the name
characters are not entities, so the rule against fractional entities doesn't
apply).

>#transfer Alfvaen, Atilla The Pun:Little Bag O' Chips I:gift
>#transfer Alfvaen, Atilla The Pun:1 PFAlfvaen:gift

I ack this.  Thanks.

- -Micah Smukler
AtP

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:10:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: My plethora of proposals 

>> Ok, that's enough proposals for one evening. Brings back memories from the
>> first week of Acka, when all I did was make proposals...
>
>*APPLAUSE*
>
>Please continue. I very much enjoy reading them, even if they fail.

I've already decided to write some more sometime today... Maybe I can
achieve the auspicious title of player with the highest percentage of
rejected proposals!

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:35:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 402 Verdict

> Call For Judgment 402
>   Subject: Azpiazu
> Initiator: /dev/joe
>     Judge: Alfvaen (declined)
> 2nd Judge: Vynd (selected Jun 08, 1997, 17:22h EDT)
> Judgement: FALSE
> 
> Statement:
> 
> The Blueprint for Azpiazu, a Frankenstein Monster, does not exist.
> 
> /dev/joe's Reasoning:
> 
> Sorry, I don't have time to write all this out, but see e-mail on
> both sides of the issue by myself and other players in the thread
> with "Azpiazu Blueprint" in the subject line.
> 
> Vynd's Reasoning:
> 
> Despite /dev/joe's lack of reaoning, he is clearly trying to
> get at the idea that the Blueprint-under-construction was not, actually,
> writen such that all further parts would be rejected.  He claims that by
> arbitrarily stating that all further sentences were inb conclict with the
> first sentence, the first sentences does not create any actual conflicts.
> One of the examples of a conflict given in Rule 597 is "a
> self-contradictory blueprint."  In my opinion, nothing could be more
> self-contradictory than Blueprint which claims to be in conflict with
> itself, except perhaps a Blueprint that claims to be in conflict with
> itself even though it isn't.  Seeing as how Azpiazu's
> Blueprint-under-construction is either one or the other of these
> self-contradictory Blueprints, I feel it was legal and correct for Alfvaen
> to put forward the actual Blueprint for Azpiazu.

I appeal this.

If Azpiazu was/would be a self-contradictory blueprint, the one part that
has been added to it is the part that causes a conflict, and therefore
it was rejected.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 1997 15:06:02 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: burying the machine _now_ 

AC>> I note that my previous attempt to do this failed, since it did not fit
AC>> the rules' qualifications for a public message, being headed by Ack:
AC>> rather than Acka: or Ackanomic:

AC>As was pointed out earlier, "Ack" is a typo/misspelling of "Acka" and
AC>corrected automagically by the rules.  The last buried treasure from
AC>last night was 163 (where GF buried the vending machine), and there
AC>is 164 from today, where Alfvaen was doing stuff.  Just to clear up any
AC>possible confusion.

AC>Allowing the spelling rule to correct typos makes the game easier, and
AC>more fun, for everyone.  If not, we should repeal it.

"Ack" is a misspelling of the word "Acka" but the correct spelling of
"Ack".  Since the spelling rule only applies to errors, while this was
not an error, it does not apply to this incident.  In the past, messages
of this sort have been pointed out, and the author has resent it with
the correct header.  Or they have gone unnoticed and been corrected by
retroactivity.

I do not think your "pointing it out" has an effect under the rules,
since this was not a crime which can be "pointed out" under R317 to
prevent the retroactivity clause from kicking in.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 1997 15:08:44 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: an interesting string 

AC>> I have an interesting string to quote:
AC>>
AC>> "Jukkasjarvi Cheez-Whiz 1156"

AC>Guy Fawkes has found treasure 156.  The map was:

AC>T156 Map: Post 'Jukkasjarvi Cheez-Whiz 1156' as a quoted string to
AC>the public forum.

AC>Malenkai

I am offering four Bonus Votes as a gift to Malenkai.

Guy Fawkes
digging up two-star's next

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:19:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: burying the machine _now_

> In the past, messages of this sort have been pointed out, and the 
> author has resent it with the correct header. 

This is false.  I notice almost all of them, and ignore them as a 
matter of grace, as does anyone who is filering mail on subject line.

In any case, feel free to harf the treasure page in this thread, as it
is a voluntary action performed by me, as are the number assignments.
The thing that is a bit disturbing here is that I *specifically* asked
when this scam was being discussed on a private list that it be carried
out in such a way so that the treasure harfing was not difficult for
me, and this request was ignored.  Its not that I'm sore, but don't
have the time to do all this work anymore.
 
I think Acka wants "Acka" in the subject line to filter the large volume
of e-mail, not play these sorts of games, and not to worry about the
header, sender, subject line, etc of each e-mail.  IAC, I will submit
a proposal to adjust the game state as if the message in question was
a public one, so that Acka can decide if they want this sort of thing
to be part of the game or not, and to clear up any possible confusion
on the matter.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:22:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: burying the machine _now_

> AC>As was pointed out earlier, "Ack" is a typo/misspelling of "Acka" and
> AC>corrected automagically by the rules.
> 
> "Ack" is a misspelling of the word "Acka" but the correct spelling of
> "Ack".  Since the spelling rule only applies to errors, while this was
> not an error, it does not apply to this incident.  In the past, messages
> of this sort have been pointed out, and the author has resent it with
> the correct header.  Or they have gone unnoticed and been corrected by
> retroactivity.

Rule 340 ("Spelling Errors") says:

  If there are spelling errors in any Ackanomic document, including Rules,
  Proposals, and Call for Judgements, and the spelling error is unambiguous,
  then the mispelled word shall be treated as if it were spelled correctly.

"Ack" *is* a misspelling of "Acka".  It may also be a word on its own,
but the context makes it clear that "Acka" was intended -- the message was
just that one letter away from (otherwise) being a proper public message
containing a valid public action.  The Spelling rule fixes the error.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:44:20 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: an interesting string

> I am offering four Bonus Votes as a gift to Malenkai.

I accept this.

#transfer Guy Fawkes,Malenkai : 4 BV :

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:09:35 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: House 

At 10:30 AM 6/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> I am hearby renaming my house to: Somewhere Else
>
>I thought as soon as that Somewhere Else CFJ came out
>that Red Barn would create a Trinket under that name 
>or something.  This seems even more interesting.
>
>Malenkai
>wishes he could be an observer

I'm just curious - what resounding game effect could this possibly have? So
an object is Somewhere Else, and so is some Player. Fine. The Player can't
just reach out and sieze the object - he has to get it by some order of game
actions, right? So although this is clever, it's seemingly ineffectual.
ICOCBW. IUA. ;v)

Albert

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:10:06 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: House 

>> I am hearby renaming my house to: Somewhere Else

How about a Treasure named Somewhere Else? ;v)

Al

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:30:03 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 402 Verdict

I wish the Supreme Court to consider the reasoning (attached after
the quoted material) as to why the FALSE verdict should be upheld on
CFJ 402.  I am attaching this to CFJ 402 via rule 418.  [I also have
/dev/joe's reasoning from the public forum if the Court wants it, but
figured it would be wrong to just attach it]

[about CFJ 402]

> I appeal this.
> 
> If Azpiazu was/would be a self-contradictory blueprint, the one part that
> has been added to it is the part that causes a conflict, and therefore
> it was rejected.

We don't have to judge the previous Judge's reasoning, (although we
do have to judge whether or not adding the Cheez-Whiz part would lead
to a self-contradictory Blueprint).

Here are the counter arguments to some of the arguments, real and
imagined, on this thing, as well as the counter argument to the
self-contradictory claim.

The section from rule 597 that gives the Blueprint-under-construction's
(BUC) content its legal force is:

> If any Part is in conflict with a prior attached Part, (i.e. the two
> Parts would give the Monster mutually-exclusive attributes, (one says
> "the monster is blue," the other "the monster cannot be blue.") or
> would lead to a paradoxical or self-contradictory Blueprint) the new
> Part is rejected, withers, and is discarded.

So, the rules say if the content of the BUC is "the monster is blue",
that content is given the legal force to reject, via Rule 597, parts
such as "the monster is not blue".  Similarily, rule 597 gives the 
Cheez-Whiz part legal force in the same manner.

It has also been argued that Blueprints not meeting certain criteria
(such as describing the behaviour of gadgets, etc) cannot be created.  
However, rule 597 has precedence over any rules from which these 
arguments are derived, and rule 597 *does* describe a procedure under
which these, indeed any, sorts of Blueprints can be created (assuming
the procedure is followed, of course).  This procedure was followed by
the Mad Scientist, including the required accent, thus it was created
as described in the rules.  The argument that the rules do not give
the *Blueprint* the authority to make the Cheez-Whiz part have its
effect miss the mark, because rule 597 already gave the *BUC* this
effect, proceeded becasue of this effect, and now we are past that
part in the process described in rule 597.  As for the argument that
'Blueprints with parts in conflict with the rules are destroyed', that
is not exactly how it works.  In any case, the Cheez-Whiz part is not
in conflict with the rules.

The problem with these arguments, then, in a nutshell, is that rule
597 is allowing the BUC to establish this conflict, the argument is
that *Blueprints* cannot.  By then, it doesn't matter unless the
Blueprint was not created as described in the rules, or some rule
destroys the Blueprint.  That is not the case.

As a corrollary to the preceeding, the argument that the Cheez-Whiz
part would lead to a self-contradictory Blueprint is false.  Once
the Cheez-Whiz part is added, further parts cannot be.  Hence, the
procedure in 597 halts the construction and leads to the Cheez-Whiz
Blueprint we have, not to a contradictory one.  We know when we add
this part that this will happen, thus we know that it will not lead
to a contradictory Blueprint.

In another note, the difference between this case and the case of CFJ
342 was that the part in question referred to the "Blueprint", and
thus was trying to obtain its legal force via the Blueprint rules,
not rule 597 (or set of a conflict in the wrong part of the process).
The part from the Tickle-me-Elmo was:

> At this Tickle-Me Elmo the Blueprint is constructed, (and is a Blueprint)
> and no more Parts may ever be added to it.

Indeed, it refers to the constructed Blueprint, or possibly the Monster
itself, providing the basis for CFJ 342's ruling that this part did not,
via rule 597, prevent further parts from being added to the BUC for TME.
The Cheez-Whiz part does not have this weakness, and thus any parallels
to CFJ 342 are inappropriate.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: That Wild And Crazy Machine That Goes *ping*

After reattaching Guy Fawkes' house, and catching up on the backlog in
the Courts (or trying to), I was rather tired. I fell asleep at my
desk, during which I had these visions. I saw -- aw, you know what I
saw. Anyway, when I finally woke up, I found that in my sleep I had
attempted to write down one of my visions. Unfortunately, being asleep
when I had done this, I had written on the piece of paper that already
contained various notes on some of the CFJs, so I was unable to fully
make out what it said. What I could read went like this:

IF AND ONLY IF today *** ******* **** **** ****** *** ******
******-***** ***** ***, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go
*ping*.

breadbox
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 20:00:53 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Treasure 

> The gist of the map is (the actual map is a little more legalese like):
>
> The first person to frink Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice from Malenkai's
> Vase shall find this Treasure.

  Are you sure you haven't found my treasure yet?

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 23:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: House

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> At 10:30 AM 6/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >> I am hearby renaming my house to: Somewhere Else
> >
> >I thought as soon as that Somewhere Else CFJ came out
> >that Red Barn would create a Trinket under that name 
> >or something.  This seems even more interesting.
> >
> >Malenkai
> >wishes he could be an observer
> 
> I'm just curious - what resounding game effect could this possibly have? So
> an object is Somewhere Else, and so is some Player. Fine. The Player can't
> just reach out and sieze the object - he has to get it by some order of game
> actions, right? So although this is clever, it's seemingly ineffectual.
> ICOCBW. IUA. ;v)
> 
> Albert
> 
> 

I noticed this loophole, of sorts, awhile back.  I decided that there
wasn't really anything that it would accomplish, besides getting me lots
of nice knicknacks to brighten up my abode, so I didn't do it.  When the
CFJ was ruled though, I realized that someone was bound to name something
Somewhere Else soon, so I decided to pre-empt them and see if I can figure
out a way to exploit it later. =)

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 21:42:31 -0700
From: [email-masked] (fnord)
Subject: Acka: proto-RFC on Alignments

I've done some research on alignments, and here's what I've got so far.  
There are ten alignments.   Eight of those alignments form 4 opposite pairs,
as follows:

weird - straight
violent - peaceful
government - corporate
liberal - conservative

Along with those eight, there are the following two:

fanatic - any two things aligned fanatic are opposites of each other

criminal - criminals have no opposites.

This info comes from the Illuminati: New World Order collectible card game
from Steve Jackson Games.  I checked the original Illuminati non-collectible
card game, and the only difference was that Corporate changed to Communist.

Here are some ideas I had on what to do with alignments.  Any feedback?

We can let any entity have an alignment, or we can limit it to certain
entities.  Limiting sounds easier, as I wouldn't want to have 3 Liberal
Points which couldn't be with 25 Conservative points, although I can be
convinced otherwise, if we want to modify win conditions to base off of
types of points.

For a duel, your second can not be of opposite alignment.

You can only use a gadget if the player and the gadget do not have opposite
alignments.

Proposals can have alignments assigned to them (by the proposer?  by someone
else?) and the number of points gotten from voting on it could change based
on whether or not you have an opposite or the same alignemnt

We can also have some inventions made that can temporarily or permanently
alter alignments, same thing with Otzma cards.

Well, that's a proto-RFC.  any comments or ideas?  Any suggestions just how
deep I could/should go with this?

fnord
Come to IRC, two-star and I are there.

- -- 
Michael J. Thomas                              [email-masked]
"Opinions are falling like drops of rain"  In that case, I'm in a downpour!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 00:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Krykec

I would just like to point out that the Officer in Charge of Random Things
is obligated to randomly select a Krykec to help the W-File in their
investigation into the disappearance of the Church rule.

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #138
*******************************