Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #136
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, June 13 1997         Volume 02 : Number 136

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:39:51 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: MetaMorph and the Church of Odo on the Wormhole 

>I hereby request membership in MetaMorph.
>
>Robert Sevin

As one of the two members of MetaMorph, I accept you.  What happens now?
Do we wait a week or for Niccolo Acceptance, or is he in?  Anyone?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:51:56 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Observation 

The gthing I love about Ackanomic is that no where else on earth do the
words Potato and Aliens seem incomplete without each other's company.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:52:53 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: ACKA: BWG Revocation 

I withdrawl my call for the revocation of malenkai's expert status in the
matter of BWG.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:53:35 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Aka: Is this a public message 

or an unambigous spelling error?

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:08:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

>So I've got this Pyraic Frobnotzer (a wonderful little Terrorist Device, if
>I do say so!), and I would like to know: is a "noun phrase" any different
>from a noun?

  Yes, a noun phrase can be a phrase.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:09:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

>Yes, a noun phrase can be something like "the scintilating duck", whereas
>that is not a noun. A noun phrase, defined cheaply (and this doesn't always
>work, I believe), is anything that can fit at the end of the phrase "I have
>a <noun phrase>".

  I have a the middle of next week.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:59:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Aka: Is this a public message

> or an unambigous spelling error?

It is an unambiguous misspelling of the operational word "Acka", IMO.
This has happened before, and they have been construed as public messages.
The counter argument would be that "Acka" is not in the official 
dictionary, but there are very good arguments to shoot that wimpy argument
down, which, unfortunately, I do not have the time to write now.

Malenkai
who has not forgotten about beldin's parka
wearing a silly vacation hat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:59:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: TMBSG

I request membership in TMBSG.

Malenkai
wearing a silly vacation hat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:24:52 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Re: further personal info

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> P.P.S.  I remember the Mercury flights,  and was even in Miami for one of
> those and in Orlando for two of the Gemini flights.  Watching the Apollo
> 11 landing on the moon was the first timeI saw color TV (and the
> pictures back from the moon were of course in black and white.)  Please
> take note that I make no reference in this message to WHICH moon Apollo
> 11 landed on.
>

 I missed the lives on that one. According to well informed sources I was
busy being born at the time.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:32:51 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  further personal info, serious BWG

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Bascule wrote:
> 
> If you did, the answer's nope! I had to listen to them going on about
> how good it was in the car on the way home. Even though all that
> stuff about a virus was complete cack. Even though that pilot (Troy
> was it?) knocked out an alien with a bop on it's head, when it was
> supposed to be totally nails. Even though the President flew up in a
> plane to destroy the alien spaceship. I mean, puhlease!

Hey, where I come from there are several Presidents who have the
qualifications to do that. President Weitzman was a combat pilot (in
Israel the President has not political power), so was King Hussein and
President Mubarak, and even President Assad ( I doubt the King was ever in
combat, but he had the training)

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:53:27 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:
> 
> > Should there be a clause about how, perhaps, some office(President,
> > perhaps)can make a case for suspending a Rule once a month, to be
> > voted on by the players?
> 
> Hey, this can be done, right now, by any player. Just submit a
> proposal.

The difference being that repealing a rule using the current method
requires a 3/5 majority. I think Alfaven is suggesting something that
would require a 3/5 majority to keep a rule.
I would oppose giving this duty to the President, or the Senate. 
If we had a second Institution, so we could share distribute some of the
roles between two Institutions, may be that other Institution would be a
good choice for it.
A random determination, like an extension of the Aliens rule, perhaps with
an Ad Hoc Comittee on the matter of re-confirming rules might do.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:14:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer 

At 08:09 AM 6/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Yes, a noun phrase can be something like "the scintilating duck", whereas
>>that is not a noun. A noun phrase, defined cheaply (and this doesn't always
>>work, I believe), is anything that can fit at the end of the phrase "I have
>>a <noun phrase>".
>
>  I have a the middle of next week.

Good point. Fits in the phrase "I own <noun phrase>".

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:14:53 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka:  voting services offered

Mohammed,

You wrote:

> votes for sale:  A$45 each
> 
I offer A$45 for your YES vote on P2071.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BV purchase

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

On the off chance that the "Aka" thing comes down on the "not a public
message" side, I am doing the following things,  in this order:

I am buying 4 bonus votes from Guy Fawkes Vending Machine.  I am burying
them.  The Map to the Treasure may or may not read: BVTM#1.

I am buying 4 bonus votes from Guy Fawkes Vending Machine.  I am burying
them.  The Map to the Treasure may or may not read: BVTM#2.

I am buying 4 bonus votes from Guy Fawkes Vending Machine.  I am burying
them.  The Map to the Treasure may or may not read: BVTM#3.

I am buying 4 bonus votes from Guy Fawkes Vending Machine.  I am burying
them.  The Map to the Treasure may or may not read: BVTM#4.

I am buying 4 bonus votes from Guy Fawkes Vending Machine.  I am burying
them.  The Map to the Treasure may or may not read: BVTM#5.

#mr cwm: -A$40: BV purchase

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:23:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: VAcation

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

By this message I go on vacation.  I expect to return on the 18th, my
vacation thus having an expected duration of 6 days.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:34:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

> 
> >So I've got this Pyraic Frobnotzer (a wonderful little Terrorist Device, if
> >I do say so!), and I would like to know: is a "noun phrase" any different
> >from a noun?
> 
> Yes, a noun phrase can be something like "the scintilating duck", whereas
> that is not a noun. A noun phrase, defined cheaply (and this doesn't always
> work, I believe), is anything that can fit at the end of the phrase "I have
> a <noun phrase>".

And considering that something like "calling an auction" can also a noun
phrase(as in "Calling an auction can be done by any player"), that doesn't
work.  :-)  How about this--anything that can be replaced by "it"(or, I
suppose, "e")without creating a non-sentence is a noun phrase.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Christine Lavin:Never Go Back
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Clouds End
"Ride the wild smurf, Druid!"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:47:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bonus Vote Purcahses

> The blueprint for the vending machine doesn't seem to indicate that it can't
> be used while buried, but the blueprint for the bonus vote add-on says
> it becomes unstrapped if either it or the vending machine changes possession
> while it is strapped on.
> 
> As a result, the buried vending machine cannot vend bonus votes.

All right.  Since the buried vending machine's price is A$2, I am
purchasing a Rock To Wind A String Around from said Vending Machine.
So...who gets the A$1 that doesn't go to the Treasury?  Treasure 163?

> Only the 7 batches of 4 bonus votes Malenkai bought were purchased before
> 21:20 EDT, when the vending machine was buried.

Quel scam!  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Christine Lavin:Never Go Back
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Clouds End
If you are what you eat, then I'm dead meat.  [Timbuk 3]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:17:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bonus Vote Purcahses

Alfvaen wrote:
> All right.  Since the buried vending machine's price is A$2, I am
> purchasing a Rock To Wind A String Around from said Vending Machine.
> So...who gets the A$1 that doesn't go to the Treasury?  Treasure 163?

The buried vending machine's price is only A$2 for Bonus Votes, which
it currently cannot sell.  The price for rocks is still A$6, I believe.

The A$3 that goes to the "owner" vending machine probably does not get
added to the treasure, but simply becomes unowned, as the vending machine
is unowned, and the unowned A$ go into the treasury, by R505.  I don't
think Treasure 163 actually owns the vending machine, though I show it
that way on my P/E page for convenience, but if it does, it gets the A$3.
Lastly, it is possible that an unowned vending machine is unable to
transfer A$3 to the machine's "owner" when it is unowned, resulting in
either the rocks being sold for effectively half price, or not being sold
at all.

Time for a CFJ.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:19:10 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What The--

I am creating two trinkets.  The first is a Life-Sized Replica of The
Monument To Futility.  This trinket has a value of A$630, and looks just
like the Monument To Futility, but it is made entirely out of tongue
depressors glued together.

#trinket Alfvaen : Life-Sized Replica of The Monument To Futility : 600 : ?

The second trinket is called "your useless brain", and has a value of only
A$8.  It looks just like your brain, but its convolutions are shallow and
smooth.  It is very light, it isn't flat, and it's totally useless.

#trinket Alfvaen : your useless brain : 38 : ??

I am burying this, with the following map:

87CB2E1E995073DFB72F4D1A776741C30ECD3BB272DFB74E30

#transfer Alfvaen, buried : your useless brain : dig dig dig

This leaves me with A$51.  I give A$1 to Malenkai.

#transfer Alfvaen, Malenkai: A$1 : ???

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Christine Lavin:Realities
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Clouds End
Columnated ruins domino.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:36:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

>And considering that something like "calling an auction" can also a noun
>phrase(as in "Calling an auction can be done by any player"), that doesn't
>work.  :-)  How about this--anything that can be replaced by "it"(or, I
>suppose, "e")without creating a non-sentence is a noun phrase.

  In other words, a noun phrase is anything you can replace with a
pronoun?  Circular, but it works.
  And, *ooh*, pyraic frobnotzers are even more powerful than I thought!

>"Ride the wild smurf, Druid!"
  Heh.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:44:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: MetaMorph and the Church of Odo on the Wormhole

> >I hereby request membership in MetaMorph.
> >
> >Robert Sevin
> 
> As one of the two members of MetaMorph, I accept you.  What happens now?
> Do we wait a week or for Niccolo Acceptance, or is he in?  Anyone?

You wait a week, and if Niccolo hasn't accepted or rejected him by that
time he's in.  Note that the same thing is happening in TMBSG with
members beyond the second.

I have recorded all these org members on the P/E page for convenience
(and so I remember who joined) as I see little chance of anybody being
rejected.

Hint to new orgs: before anybody else joins, the founder can use the R1003
organizational action to give himself the ability to grant membership in
the org without waiting for consent.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:11:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bonus Vote Purcahses

>The A$3 that goes to the "owner" vending machine probably does not get
>added to the treasure, but simply becomes unowned, as the vending machine
>is unowned, and the unowned A$ go into the treasury, by R505.  I don't
>think Treasure 163 actually owns the vending machine, though I show it
>that way on my P/E page for convenience, but if it does, it gets the A$3.
>Lastly, it is possible that an unowned vending machine is unable to
>transfer A$3 to the machine's "owner" when it is unowned, resulting in
>either the rocks being sold for effectively half price, or not being sold
>at all.

  Perhaps the vending machine accepts the A$, but the transfer to its
nonexistant owner fails - thus it keeps them itself.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jun 1997 12:51:42 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: burying the machine _now_ 

I note that my previous attempt to do this failed, since it did not fit
the rules' qualifications for a public message, being headed by Ack:
rather than Acka: or Ackanomic:

I am now burying my Vending Machine.  The map to this treasure reads:
This treasure shall be found by the first player whom Guy Fawkes
publically praises as a hoopy frood.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jun 1997 12:55:46 CST/CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: always return what you borrow 

I am offering my Bonus Vote Add-On as a gift to Mr. Lunatic Fringe.  I
thank him for its services.

I note that due to the language of the BV Add-On Blueprint, it will
still be operable next week, unless he undertakes to find the buried
Vending Machine and attach the Add-On to it by Sunday.

Guy Fawkes

#transfer Guy Fawkes, Mr. Lunatic Fringe: 1 Bonus Vote Add-On

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:25:18 -0700
From: [email-masked] (fnord)
Subject: Re: Acka: What The--

Alfvaen spake thusly:
> 
> I am creating two trinkets.  The first is a Life-Sized Replica of The
> Monument To Futility.  This trinket has a value of A$630
> 
> #trinket Alfvaen : Life-Sized Replica of The Monument To Futility : 600 : ?
> 
> The second trinket is called "your useless brain", and has a value of only
> A$8.
> 
> #trinket Alfvaen : your useless brain : 38 : ??

While the amounts listed in these transactions do add up to the correct
amount, A$638, they're not what the value stated was.  Did you change your
mind at some point, Alfvaen, or is something else up?

fnord

> I am burying this, with the following map:
> 
> 87CB2E1E995073DFB72F4D1A776741C30ECD3BB272DFB74E30

But, where do I get the Monkey from?

fnord
- -- 
Michael J. Thomas                              [email-masked]
"Opinions are falling like drops of rain"  In that case, I'm in a downpour!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:05:06 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: What The--

> > I am creating two trinkets.  The first is a Life-Sized Replica of The
> > Monument To Futility.  This trinket has a value of A$630
> > 
> > #trinket Alfvaen : Life-Sized Replica of The Monument To Futility : 600 : ?
> > 
> > The second trinket is called "your useless brain", and has a value of only
> > A$8.
> > 
> > #trinket Alfvaen : your useless brain : 38 : ??
> 
> While the amounts listed in these transactions do add up to the correct
> amount, A$638, they're not what the value stated was.  Did you change your
> mind at some point, Alfvaen, or is something else up?

D'oh!  I changed the "#trinket" lines, but not the text descriptions, when
I decided to make "your useless brain" more valuable.  So what happened
here, then?  (In case intention has any influence on this, I _meant_ to use
A$600 and A$38...on the other hand, my plans will change somewhat if my
Vending Machine purchase went through as well.  :-(  )

> > I am burying this, with the following map:
> > 
> > 87CB2E1E995073DFB72F4D1A776741C30ECD3BB272DFB74E30
> 
> But, where do I get the Monkey from?

<innocent look>

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Cranberries:Free To Decide
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Clouds End
If I ever get rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.
   [Jack Handey]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:55:48 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 404 (Bascule)

> CFJ 404 has been assigned to Bascule

I accept

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:00:22 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka : Observations on Malenkai's Observations

Now that I've read what this whole thing was about I would like to add
this:
I am rarely annoyed with scam attempt, neither was I annoyed at Malenkai's
recent scam. But I think Malenkai is overreacting to the IP. The IP is
just as much part of the game as the scam was. It's not a punishment. I
think the rules give us the power to impeach Officers for taking advantage
of their position. I read through the messages and I saw a good loop hole
surf that brought out a problem in a rule, which I always thought had scam
potential, but never explored it as fully as Malenkai had. Malenaki took
the time to explore the time potential and was rewarded for it by winning
the cycle. That's part of the game. So now we reshuffle the cards, the IP
being part of that reshuffle. Surely you would not expect to be dealt the
same hand  you just won a game with.

Otherwise, as to Malenkai's confusion about what players want. I am at
odds as to whether I can agree with that statement. I have stated more
than once that whenever I made proposals in response to what appeared to
be the public will (as well as my own), I was surprised to find  a lot of
opposition and reluctance. We have stated more than once that different
players want different things from the game. Several times Malenkai states
that 'he tried to make the game fun for players' and I get the feeling
that he thinks acka is ungrateful.   I think we are all grateful for the
wrok you have done. As for fun, I say, try to make the game fun for
yourself, and the people who share your idea of fun, will also find it
fun. If you try to appease people, you might end like the the guys in the
story with the two men and a donkey, and not very happy about it.

I think I might have been one of the players who said that Acka was
becoming too static. I did not mean any offense by that. I also started
acting to change that. When I return from vacation ( I am on a 48 hr leave
right now) I will continue pushing the trend I started, with a few other
players. As I told the fellow members of the Vulcan Party, of which I was
a member. I continue to support the goals of the Vulcan Party, and I
belive that the goals are a solution a problem which is much smaller today
than it was when the Party was founded. Those goals have permeated into
the Acka culture. There other goals I wish to pursue which have a higher
priority for me at this time.  If it is the time for the pendulum to
Swing, then I shall clear a path for it to Swing through, one of many
paths.

Surak said:
"We have differences: May we, together, become greater than the sum of
both of us."

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:14:23 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Further Observations (duels)

Vynd wrote:
***
[snipped]
...office of scientist.  If it had been /dev/joe or any other scientist, I
think I would have done the same thing.  I apologize if you thought it was
really some sort of attack on you personaly, and in an attempt to make it
clear that this is so, I am going to rescind my offer to second Alfvaen's
duel.  The duel seems to me to be a purely personal matter, one that, in
retrospect, I don't really want to get involved in.  
***

Duels are supposed to be fun!

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:30:30 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka CFJ 384 verdict

Even though the rules have changed to make the CFJ trivially true,
Malenkai has taken the time to analyze the conditions under which the CFJ
was originally meant to have been distributed under. I find this analysis
most interesting, and even I have taken advantage of the previous ruling,
which eventually turned out to have not happened, I find Malenkai's
analysis much closer to spirit as well as to the letter of the rule.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:07:42 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka quiz Over

Dan Knapp wrote:
*
Closest to this that I've seen is one of the messages Omega gives you
when you fail to enter wizard mode:
  Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards -- ...
*

I think Gandalf said it before they did. Anyone got an earlier refference?

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:26:07 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What, Again?

Since I seem to have screwed up and otherwise miscalculated, let me try
this again:

I am cashing the Life-Sized Replica of the Monument To Futility in to the
Treasury.

#award Alfvaen: -1 Life-Sized Replica of The Monument To Futility: cash
#award Alfvaen: A$630 : cash

I am now creating, out of the remains, the Twice Life-Sized Replica of the
Tower of Bandwidth, worth A$617.  This trinket looks sort of like the Tower
of Bandwidth, only larger.  The main differences are that it is made out of
what looks like tongue depressors that used to be glued together in a
different form but were wrenched violently apart, so that there are loose
ends and broken splinters sticking out all over the place.  It is also
covered in old back issues of "is", the "Steel Flea Gazette", and the "HTML
Standard"(at least, those are the newspapers visible from ground level), in
an ineffective attempt to replicate the Tower of Bandwidth's outer
appearance.

#trinket Alfvaen: Twice Life-Sized Replica of The Tower of Bandwidth: ??

Now _this_ should leave me with A$52.  I give A$2 to the Speaker,
Malenkai.

#transfer Alfvaen, Malenkai : A$2 : ???

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Song--The Extras:State of The Heart
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Clouds End
A tautology is a thing which is tautological.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:29:07 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: The Party Boy

I just noticed that Malenkai is the only player who is or has been a
member of all the Parties currently in existence.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:37:29 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Birthdays

July 19 1969

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:44:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka : Observations on Malenkai's Observations 

>fun. If you try to appease people, you might end like the the guys in the
>story with the two men and a donkey, and not very happy about it.

I'm not familiar with that story. If it's in any way related to
Grab-A-Donkey, it must be barrels of fun!

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:54:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Churches

/dev/joe wrote:
Odd.  I was going to say that you would cease to be a priest in the CoOotW
when the rule came back, but I see nothing which prohibits non-members
from being priests. :-o

/dev/joe

There is only restriction on ordaining Priests. I don't see anything odd
about the lack of restriction of a non-member being a Priest. Church was
last ammended long before the abductions started and thus it is not 'Alien
Proof'. Part of the reason I like the abductions.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:13:13 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Ambassadorness

***
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:01:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Ambassadorness 

>Also, I think it would be best if we set up a formal procedure for
changing
>our status.

Yes. Perhaps the Ambassador, the President (or the Senate), and 25% of the
active players must agree to change the status? Or just the Ambassador and
President/Senate, but they can only do it after x% of the players petition
them to do so.

Robert Sevin

***

How about an Ad Hoc Comitee  (I"m pushing again for 'use the tools we've
got')

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:37:22 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: burying the machine _now_

> I note that my previous attempt to do this failed, since it did not fit
> the rules' qualifications for a public message, being headed by Ack:
> rather than Acka: or Ackanomic:

As was pointed out earlier, "Ack" is a typo/misspelling of "Acka" and
corrected automagically by the rules.  The last buried treasure from
last night was 163 (where GF buried the vending machine), and there
is 164 from today, where Alfvaen was doing stuff.  Just to clear up any
possible confusion.

Allowing the spelling rule to correct typos makes the game easier, and
more fun, for everyone.  If not, we should repeal it.

Malenkai
Speaker
voluntary Treasure Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:45:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, A.K.A. TheWiz wrote:

> >Yes, a noun phrase can be something like "the scintilating duck", whereas
> >that is not a noun. A noun phrase, defined cheaply (and this doesn't always
> >work, I believe), is anything that can fit at the end of the phrase "I have
> >a <noun phrase>".
> 
>   I have a the middle of next week.

	I think a better template would be "Weird things happen around
<noun phrase>." but I'm prejudiced.

- -- 
Mohammed
Weird things happen to amazing Americans.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:45:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked] (Ed  Graham)
Subject: Acka:  Vacation

I realize that as a Non-Voting Player this will have no real effect,  but
I am placing myself on Vacation.  The expected duration is approximately
two weeks.  Expected date of return is 30 Jun 97.  I will try to keep up
with my mail as best as I can,  but expect to be out of E-mail range for
most of this period.

VG

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:12:20 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: always return what you borrow 

>I am offering my Bonus Vote Add-On as a gift to Mr. Lunatic Fringe.  I
>thank him for its services.
>
>I note that due to the language of the BV Add-On Blueprint, it will
>still be operable next week, unless he undertakes to find the buried
>Vending Machine and attach the Add-On to it by Sunday.
>
>Guy Fawkes
>
>#transfer Guy Fawkes, Mr. Lunatic Fringe: 1 Bonus Vote Add-On

I ack, and thank Guy Fawkes for his gify.  I m burying the add-on as
treasure, with a map that is unrevealed, but substantially similar to the
map to my vending machie.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 02:20:22 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Winning conditions

I see that winnng conditions are being discussed again. 
How about mating in Party Chess. I know it wouldn't happen very often (the
game will continue to proceed normally when I return from Vacation in a
few days)
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:21:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 399 Verdict

CFJ 399 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- ----------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 399
  Subject: Auction
Initiator: Alfvaen
    Judge: Bascule (selected Jun 07, 1997, 00:26h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

It is permissible under the Rules to call a single Auction to auction
off a group of objects that do not all have the same value or
description, without having to do so as a single lot.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

There is nothing in Rule 516, "Auctions", to prohibit such an action.  It
does not even implicitly state that an Auction can only be called for a
single type of object only.  "1 item" is a default quantity for an auction,
but then the Speaker is the default Auctioneer, too, so it should only hold
if there is no other specification.  The requirement that a single minimum
bid be specified might be problematic if a group of items widely disparate
in value are auctioned, but it is not an absolute prohibition.  If
disparate-item Auctions are not held, is it merely because nobody thinks to
do so?  Does that amount to "game custom"?

Bascule's Reasoning:

>From Rule 516:

"b) if more than one item is being auctioned, whether or not the
items should be grouped and auctioned as a lot (default = no)."

"The players who made the N highest qualified bids shall each
receive an item in exchange for the amount of A$ they bid."

The rules do not specify that multiple item auctions must have the
same value or description. Therefore I judge this CFJ TRUE.

As /dev/joe has observed, the Officer in charge of Random Things
should step in to decide who gets what. From Rule 405:

"When the rules require one of a set of distinct objects to be
chosen or operated on without specifying how one is to be chosen, the
Officer in charge of random things shall choose one of the possible
choices at random, with equal probabilities for all possible
choices."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:22:38 -0400
From: jordan james <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Aka: Is this a public message

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC782F.2B80F940
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Friday, June 13, 1997 8:59 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Aka: Is this a public message

> or an unambigous spelling error?

It is an unambiguous misspelling of the operational word "Acka", IMO.
This has happened before, and they have been construed as public =
messages.
The counter argument would be that "Acka" is not in the official=20
dictionary, but there are very good arguments to shoot that wimpy =
argument
down, which, unfortunately, I do not have the time to write now.

Malenkai
who has not forgotten about beldin's parka
wearing a silly vacation hat

Where do I make purchases?, Can I make trinkets?, I want to tear down =
area h7 next to my place on the map and purchase it after < I was =
informed I must publically announce any land buying but the acrobot =
allows only votes, proposals and a few other arbitrary functions so how =
do I announce publicly?  I am so lost here and I haven't gotten any =
feedback on two rfc 's I sent you. the rules are sending my mind =
spinning this is some piece of work malenkai. Whine, whine, whine... I =
want to get involved and I can't evn get on the irc line, is there some =
kind of puzzle to stay connected on it?

- - karma (on the brink of insanity, possibly just what's needed to start =
understanding this $$#@$#@$#@$#!!!!!! Game)=20

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC782F.2B80F940
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC782F.2B80F940--

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #136
*******************************