Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #126
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Monday, June 9 1997         Volume 02 : Number 126

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:15:15 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Robert Sevin's House 

>> >So whatever happened with that, anyway?  Are the three intrepid winged
>> >house-saviours still waiting for permission to reattach it?
>>
>> I hereby grant permission to reattach my house, to whoever wishes to do so.
>
>I am attempting to reattach Robert Sevin's house, although I won't succeed
>unless two other winged players join me.  I know that breadbox had also
>volunteered, and someone else...

Now that the invisible permission field has been discharged, I am attaching
Robert Sevin's house back on the earth.  When we are done, I'm gonna kick
my feet up and stay awhile.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
Offical Ackanomic Radical

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:10:58 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The former Antimatter auction 

>By the way, I don't know if this has been announced formally yet, but I
>believe Mr. Lunatic Fringe's auction of the trinket formerly known as
>Antimatter resulted in Red Barn purchasing it for A$150, and my
>second-highest bid, A$133, going to the Treasury.  So something like:
>
>#transfer Red Barn, Mr. Lunatic Fringe: A$150: Auction
>#transfer Mr. Lunatic Fringe, Red Barn: <nameless trinket formerly known
>as Antimatter>: Auction
>#award Alfvaen: -A$133: Shubik Auction bid

Oops, I thought I made this announcement.  If not, thanks to Alfvaen.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:22:02 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vending Treasure 

I am burying  my vending machine  as treasure, though I am not revealing
any of the map publically.

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:34:39 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: NonMarkovian 

The Markovian and Seleyan churches, and the church of Odo have been
abducted by those pesky aliens.  What happens when they are returned?  I
have a nasty hunch that all currently existing churches won't be existing
anymore.

Mr Lunatic"We Love THe Aliens" Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:32:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Dispersal

> > And, finally, if e consents, I will give the cheap plastic imitation of the
> > Amulet of Yendor to Vynd, purely by elimination.
> 
> I refuse this transfer.

Chiwis, nobody likes my trinkets.  :-(  And I'm tired of auctioning them.
Maybe I should just come up with a treasure map.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Siouxsie & The Banshees:Peepshow
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Cloud's End
The only way to travel is to get someplace
   [From my wife's mishearing of a line from The Moody Blues' "The Other
     Side of Life"]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 22:37:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Some announcements

Well, there are a few tings going on that I am not sure were formaly
announced on any of the mailing lists, although with my recent problems in
this area I might have missed them.

The nomination period for President is currently running.  I believe it
ends tommorow morning, not too long before noon.

My impeachment paper against Malenkai is awaiting your votes.

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!  Err, wait, we're upsidedown.
Um, I'm falling!  I'm falling!

Sorry about that.

Awhile back, there was a request that the Senate take action to revoke Mr.
Lunatic Fringe's status as Expert in Headware.  As mandated by the rules
on organizations, the senators voted to see if the Senate would take the
requisite action of publicly announcing our intention of voting on whether
or not to revoke this status (yeah, we thought it was goofy too).  We have
voted in fvor of such an announcement, 4-0.  Thus, the Senate now
announces that it is begining a vote on the revokation of Mr. Lunatic
Fringe's Expertise in Headware.

This last bit is more of an observation than anything else.  I believe
when the blueprint for Azpiazu was created, Alfvaen stated that he was
paying some sort of cost in Processing Chips.  This is not necessary.  The
Frankenstein Monster Rule declares that it has precedence over all rules
that generaly govern Blueprints (end of first paragraph).  The processing
chips requirements are all in Rule 594 (I think) Blueprints, which is
pretty obviously a rule generaly governing blueprints.  Since the
Frankenstein rule says that Frankenstein blueprints can ONLY be created as
described in that rule, AND has precedence over Rule 594, then the
requirements listed in 594 are all ignored in this case.  If anyone really
disputes this, I'll be happy to submit a CFJ, although the reasoning is
going to look an awful lot like this.  personaly, I'd just recommend
giving Alfvaen his PCs back. =)

                               - Senator Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:39:51 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NonMarkovian

> The Markovian and Seleyan churches, and the church of Odo have been
> abducted by those pesky aliens.  What happens when they are returned?  I
> have a nasty hunch that all currently existing churches won't be existing
> anymore.

Actually, what I would say is that any powers of Churches and Church
Members specifically embodied by Rule 1301 will be ineffective, but the
Churches will still have members, won't they?

See, there is now no regulation whatsoever on Churches, so I think the
activities which would formally be governed by R1301 will now be regulated
only by the fact that no rules exist to regulate it.  So you can publish
your Church Policy, anybody can become a Priest, etc.

I am hereby declaring myself to be a Priest of the Church of Odo on the
Wormhole, because no rule says that I cannot.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Siouxsie & The Banshees:Peepshow
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Cloud's End
What would hypochondriac acid dissolve?  [Steven Wright, IIRC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 22:41:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Some announcements

> Well, there are a few tings going on that I am not sure were formaly
> announced on any of the mailing lists, although with my recent problems in
> this area I might have missed them.

Also, everything going on is usually kept at 
http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackace.htm

If its not, complain to the management :)

Malenkai
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:44:46 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Some announcements

> Well, there are a few tings going on that I am not sure were formaly
> announced on any of the mailing lists, although with my recent problems in
> this area I might have missed them.
> 
> The nomination period for President is currently running.  I believe it
> ends tommorow morning, not too long before noon.

I saw it on Malenkai's Current Events page, which is now excitingly busy.

> My impeachment paper against Malenkai is awaiting your votes.
 
Who do these votes go to?  The Tabulator(who, I believe is Malenkai)?

> Awhile back, there was a request that the Senate take action to revoke Mr.
> Lunatic Fringe's status as Expert in Headware.  As mandated by the rules
> on organizations, the senators voted to see if the Senate would take the
> requisite action of publicly announcing our intention of voting on whether
> or not to revoke this status (yeah, we thought it was goofy too).  We have
> voted in fvor of such an announcement, 4-0.  Thus, the Senate now
> announces that it is begining a vote on the revokation of Mr. Lunatic
> Fringe's Expertise in Headware.

Wait!  Isn't there supposed to be a plebiscite on whether to let the Senate
vote on whether or not to make the public action of announcing their
intention of voting on whether or not to revoke this status?

> This last bit is more of an observation than anything else.  I believe
> when the blueprint for Azpiazu was created, Alfvaen stated that he was
> paying some sort of cost in Processing Chips.  This is not necessary.  The
> Frankenstein Monster Rule declares that it has precedence over all rules
> that generaly govern Blueprints (end of first paragraph).  The processing
> chips requirements are all in Rule 594 (I think) Blueprints, which is
> pretty obviously a rule generaly governing blueprints.  Since the
> Frankenstein rule says that Frankenstein blueprints can ONLY be created as
> described in that rule, AND has precedence over Rule 594, then the
> requirements listed in 594 are all ignored in this case.  If anyone really
> disputes this, I'll be happy to submit a CFJ, although the reasoning is
> going to look an awful lot like this.  personaly, I'd just recommend
> giving Alfvaen his PCs back. =)

On the other hand, I don't believe that R597(I think; the "Frankenstein
Monster" rule)says that its Blueprints _don't_ require Processing Chips.
There are certainly other parts of the Blueprint rule that are not
specified in R597, that we would assume that the FM Blueprint would have to
conform to anyway.  So go ahead and submit a CFJ, or I will.  (I think I've
done too many recently, though.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Siouxsie & The Banshees:Peepshow
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Cloud's End
St. Dismas' Infirmary for the Incurably Informed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:52:21 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Point Perspective

Personally, I like the point/money system.  Points to me are definitely
different from Ackadollars--turning points into trinkets would mean that
nobody would want to use them, unless of course the scales were comparable.
You can think of it as A$5000 being the magic number, sort of, or A$15000
if you've won that way once.  :-)  So if points were to be currency, then
there should be an extra factor of ten put in there, IMHO.  But I like it
the way it is, and I would probably do so even if I were the one that had
to keep track of it all.  :-)  I can still see some people's point about
PC's being superfluous, though.  (And I still kinda like the idea of PF
bonds being given out in their place...)

I liked the idea of Townships when it was first proposed, and would be
willing to help with anyone who wanted to put this into proposal form.
(Not that I want to be the one to get credit for submitting it, but I
think brainstorming and RFCing would be useful.  And I know that some of
the people who think it's a good idea are busy folks, unlike me.)

I had another thing I wanted to reply to here, but I forget what it was.
Oh, well, the game will continue without it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Siouxsie & The Banshees:Peepshow
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Cloud's End
Sorry for not writing sooner. I died last week.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 22:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Some announcements

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Aaron Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > Well, there are a few tings going on that I am not sure were formaly
> > announced on any of the mailing lists, although with my recent problems in
> > this area I might have missed them.
> > 
> > The nomination period for President is currently running.  I believe it
> > ends tommorow morning, not too long before noon.
> 
> I saw it on Malenkai's Current Events page, which is now excitingly busy.

Same thing Malenkai said, funny that.  in any case, I figured those of us
who don't check Malenkai's pages too often might want to know.  I had to
check them to see if these voting and nomination periods had, in fact,
officialy begun.  If they hadn't, I was going to announce that they should
=)

> 
> > My impeachment paper against Malenkai is awaiting your votes.
>  
> Who do these votes go to?  The Tabulator(who, I believe is Malenkai)?

the votes go to Count Tabula, I believe.  I am positive that Mohammed is
the Tabulator, and that yes, Malenkai IS Count Tabula.

> > This last bit is more of an observation than anything else.  I believe
> > when the blueprint for Azpiazu was created, Alfvaen stated that he was
> > paying some sort of cost in Processing Chips.  This is not necessary.  The
> > Frankenstein Monster Rule declares that it has precedence over all rules
> > that generaly govern Blueprints (end of first paragraph).  The processing
> > chips requirements are all in Rule 594 (I think) Blueprints, which is
> > pretty obviously a rule generaly governing blueprints.  Since the
> > Frankenstein rule says that Frankenstein blueprints can ONLY be created as
> > described in that rule, AND has precedence over Rule 594, then the
> > requirements listed in 594 are all ignored in this case.  If anyone really
> > disputes this, I'll be happy to submit a CFJ, although the reasoning is
> > going to look an awful lot like this.  personaly, I'd just recommend
> > giving Alfvaen his PCs back. =)
> 
> On the other hand, I don't believe that R597(I think; the "Frankenstein
> Monster" rule)says that its Blueprints _don't_ require Processing Chips.
> There are certainly other parts of the Blueprint rule that are not
> specified in R597, that we would assume that the FM Blueprint would have to
> conform to anyway.  So go ahead and submit a CFJ, or I will.  (I think I've
> done too many recently, though.  :-)

Very well, I'll submit the CFJ.  I honestly don't see anything in the
Blueprint Rule that the Frankenstein Blueprints have to conform to.  In
fact, the PC requirement is one of the few that the Frankenstein Rule
doesn't explicitly contradict.

> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:11:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Dispersal 

> I'll bid A$15 on the travesty.  It seems like a fitting thing for Mr.
> Lunatic Fringe to be in possesion of.

I bid A$17

- -Micah Smukler
AKA AtP

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:12:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 134 (Techno) 

> CarsesraC failed to respond.  It has been reassigned to
> Techno.
> 
> Jun 08 21:38 EDT: -10 Techno: deadbeat on CFJ 134

Shouldn't that be "Jun 08 21:38 EDT: -10 CarsesraC: deadbeat on CFCJ 134"?

- -Micah Smukler
AtP

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:12:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer 

> > > The Frobnotzer is complete, and I am initiating an auction for
> > > it.  The auction ends in 3 days or as described in the rules.  Bid
> > > publically.
> > 
> > I bid A$50.
> > 
> 
> I bid A$63.

I bid A$80.

- -Micah Smukler
AtP

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:12:28 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Announcements (was Re: Acka: Observation) 

> > Actually, I was contemplating writing an RFC about just that, using
> > the alignments from Steve Jackson Games' Illuminati game.
>
> So what could be the possible game effects of having alignments, of either
> kind?  Certain alignments being permitted or restricted to performing
> certain actions, or joining certain organizations?  It does have some
> potentials...

  If that's like the "alignments" from the Illuminati PBM game (formerly
SJG, now Flying Buffalo), I'm all for having 'em.  These are things like
"strangeness", folks.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:17:03 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

> To make a comment I've found myself making many times over the past year, I
> haven't been paying much attention to the game lately. I did notice
> Malenkai's Godfather scam, but this is the first I've heard of any negative
> response to it. Admittedly, I read far from all Acka messages, and therefore
> I am not surprised that I missed something. However, I am surprised that a
> negative response occurred in the first place.

  Someone (Malenkai?) said that we're at the point where the game itself
has become as interesting as the meta-game.  This of course creates a
dillema, as some people only want to play one or the other, and some want
to play both - three mutually exclusive positions. :)  I doubt there is a
solution to this, if you look at it as a problem.

- - Red Barn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:22:31 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

> >ICOCBW, but to me it almost looks like Ackanomic is at a stage where the
> >"actual game" has become as important as the Rules.  At least, I confess to

  See the thanks I get for reading my mail in order?  The very next message!
  :)

> I agree that an important part of Ackanomic is the subgames, Internomic, and
> many other aspects that have almost become tradition. The existence of
> nonvoting players shows that this is a part of Ackanomic that will most
> likely grow in importance. I wholeheartedly support this.

  Yup.  Part of the great thing is seeing this horrible kludge of a
chartreuse spruce goose actually take flight.

> I don't want to get off track, but I would like to mention at this point
> that we really ought to create an Acka-Chat mailing list, where all of this

  Yah.  I'd subscribe to both, but it would be nice to be able to tell from
the subject line, at least.

> I think Acka can come pretty close to satisfying everyone. And allow me to
> once again "toot my own horn", and mention that Townships could go a long
> way to solving this problem. Does anyone wish to once again debate the
> merits of this system? I still support it strongly.

  I don't wish to debate it, but if by that you mean the entonomic thing,
I'm against it.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 22:31:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: NonMarkovian

Alfvaen wrote:
> Actually, what I would say is that any powers of Churches and Church
> Members specifically embodied by Rule 1301 will be ineffective, but the
> Churches will still have members, won't they?

Well, they are still organizations, which are still regulated in
many ways, including membership.

> See, there is now no regulation whatsoever on Churches, so I think the
> activities which would formally be governed by R1301 will now be regulated
> only by the fact that no rules exist to regulate it.  So you can publish
> your Church Policy, anybody can become a Priest, etc.
> 
> I am hereby declaring myself to be a Priest of the Church of Odo on the
> Wormhole, because no rule says that I cannot.

Odd.  I was going to say that you would cease to be a priest in the CoOotW
when the rule came back, but I see nothing which prohibits non-members
from being priests. :-o

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:31:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation

> > I don't want to get off track, but I would like to mention at this point
> > that we really ought to create an Acka-Chat mailing list, where all 
> > of this
> 
>   Yah.  I'd subscribe to both, but it would be nice to be able to tell from
> the subject line, at least.

That is what acka-discuss was.  The problem, as I recall, was that 
people were creating trinkets and other stuff there that wasn't taking,
so we had that postal code confusion.  I do not remember what happened,
but somehow we got back to posting everything on the main list.  It
seems that there are drawbacks no matter how you slice it, unless people
can make sure the post to the proper list.

Malenkai
adding to the BWG
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:30:16 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

> Many game players are goal-oriented, and points are a simple goal.
> Also, I think we need something to shoot for, even if its a target for
> scams.  Perhaps 500,000 points would be a good magic number so that
> *only* scam wins could get there ;).

  I like the idea of being able to get there by a lot of little steps, though.

> I don't know why we have *both* points and A$s.  I would be happy with
> just one.  It seems like it would minimize the work somewhat.  I was

  I like the seperation of points and A$.  Let me try to figure out why:
  Realism?  Well, to a degree.  Complexity, anyway.
  Um, you know, I'm going to leave this to somebody else to figure out.

> things) and then could be spent to perform game actions.  More aspects of
> the game could be open to earning Mana, I suppose.  I dunno, it seemed
> like alot of work just to replace the current system.  It is my goal,
> though, to have just *one* currency to track.  Also, if you went with
> a concept like this, the whole win by cycle thing and bonds would not
> make sense, and people like these things, I suppose.

  True 'nuff.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:34:35 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NonMarkovian

> Odd.  I was going to say that you would cease to be a priest in the CoOotW
> when the rule came back, but I see nothing which prohibits non-members
> from being priests. :-o

The game state cannot be changed except as described in the rules, and
I would argue that priesthood is a change in the game state, because
who is and is not a priest effects the dangling of houses, standing
with the weather gods, and all that other 1300 section gizz ;)

Malenkai
Possible Priest
Expert in Bandwidth-Wasting Gizz
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:31:48 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

> A con artist will meet a superhero from West Virginia in a game of
> football a few days ago.

  I don't believe the babbler used to generate phrases like this?  Hum.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:34:11 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: Phoebe Hearing 

> not bogus (7)
> ---------
> fnord
> Evil Ballot Stuffer
> Malenkai
> Evil Ballot Stuffer
> Mr. Nacho
> Mohammed
> Vynd

  An EBS in a Phoebe hearing?  Is it me, or is this unpermitted?

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:35:30 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Quiz Over 

At 8:31 PM on 6/9/97, Malenkai wrote:

> > /dev/joe finished with a whopping 13 points, many of which he admits to
> > having acquired through doing web searches for lyrics.  :-)
>
> That's a problem with the 'net.  It has rendered trivia games obsolete.

  Not totally.  Still mostly true, though.  Of course, to prove a point I
could ask a trivia question about some incredibly technical thing.  Though
I suppose that's not trivia.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 21:38:40 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NonMarkovian

> > Odd.  I was going to say that you would cease to be a priest in the CoOotW
> > when the rule came back, but I see nothing which prohibits non-members
> > from being priests. :-o
> 
> The game state cannot be changed except as described in the rules, and
> I would argue that priesthood is a change in the game state, because
> who is and is not a priest effects the dangling of houses, standing
> with the weather gods, and all that other 1300 section gizz ;)

Hmmm.  I suppose it would work that way.  So all we have now is no way to
make a person a Priest, but they still have some powers.  I could declare
myself a Vicar, because that has no game effect whatsoever, but not a
Priest.  So I guess I'm not a Priest.  Well, just wanted to try it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Robert Plant:Manic Nirvana
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Cloud's End
"Call me...RoBoFop.  Come with me, or there could be...ruffles."
   [Paul Lord, "Decadence 101", from talk.bizarre]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:40:25 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 403 (CnH)

CFJ 403 has been assigned to CnH

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 403
  Subject: Azpiazu
Initiator: Vynd
    Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (selected Jun 09, 1997, 23:40h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The creation of the Frankenstein Monster Blueprint for Azpiazu
did not require any Processing Chips.

Vynd's Reasoning:  

Rule 597 Frankenstein Monster states in it's first paragraph
that it has precedence over all other rules that generaly deal with
Blueprints.  Also in it's first paragraph, thre is the statement that
Blueprints for Frankenstein Monsters can only be created as specified in
that rule (597).  It is my reasoning that these two clauses, taken
together, mean that the Frankenstein Monster rule completely supercedes
Rule 594 Blueprints, when it comes to creating Blueprints for Frankenstein
Monsters.  Since 597 describes the only way in which Frankenstein Monster
Blueprints can be created, and asserts it's precedence over the other rule
generaly describing the creation of Blueprints, 594, then nothing in Rule
594 applies to the creation of Frankenstein Monster Blueprints.  This is
true even in this specific case, where Rule 594 calls for the consumption
of Processing Chips in the creation of Blueprints, and Rule 597 does not
specificaly contradict this requirement.

If this were to be judged TRUE, Alfvaen would be getting some number (1, I
think), of Processing Chips back.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:39:15 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lunatic Fringe 

> Hey.  If it were legal, I'd approve it!

  Ur?  Oh, OK.  I am changing my name to "1                            31".
Whups.  Or was there an alphabetic character requirement?

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:40:17 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: NonMarkovian 

> The Markovian and Seleyan churches, and the church of Odo have been
> abducted by those pesky aliens.  What happens when they are returned?  I
> have a nasty hunch that all currently existing churches won't be existing
> anymore.

  BwaHaHa!

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:43:11 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: NonMarkovian 

> See, there is now no regulation whatsoever on Churches, so I think the
> activities which would formally be governed by R1301 will now be regulated
> only by the fact that no rules exist to regulate it.  So you can publish
> your Church Policy, anybody can become a Priest, etc.
>
> I am hereby declaring myself to be a Priest of the Church of Odo on the
> Wormhole, because no rule says that I cannot.

  OH, YES.  I am creating a church called "The Church of Saint Yacco on the
Loophole".  You who wish to join may petition for entry.
  I am becoming 53 priests of The Church of Saint Yacco on the Loophole.  I
ack this, all 53 times.

- -Red Garn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 19:49:19 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Dispersal 

>> I'll bid A$15 on the travesty.  It seems like a fitting thing for Mr.
>> Lunatic Fringe to be in possesion of.
>
>I bid A$17
>
>-Micah Smukler
>AKA AtP

Oh yeah?  Oh yeah?  I bid A$19

Mr. Lunatic Fringe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:49:33 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

> That is what acka-discuss was.  The problem, as I recall, was that
> people were creating trinkets and other stuff there that wasn't taking,
> so we had that postal code confusion.  I do not remember what happened,
> but somehow we got back to posting everything on the main list.  It
> seems that there are drawbacks no matter how you slice it, unless people
> can make sure the post to the proper list.

  Message priorities!  Let's fiddle with message priorities!

  The net is falling!  The net is... oh, wait, that's just my Mac.

  Seriously, though, suppose you had two lists, identical in membership and
function, except that they provide different message priorities, or subject
line prefixes, or something - so that people who want to sort the results,
can.  Would this help any?

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 21:54:32 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Dispersal

> >> I'll bid A$15 on the travesty.  It seems like a fitting thing for Mr.
> >> Lunatic Fringe to be in possesion of.
> >
> >I bid A$17
> >
> >-Micah Smukler
> >AKA AtP
> 
> Oh yeah?  Oh yeah?  I bid A$19

I _should_ perhaps point out to you fellows that breadbox has already gone
up to A$20...some time ago, I might add.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Robert Plant:Manic Nirvana
Current Book--Sean Stewart:Cloud's End
One of them failed the Darwin Test, and one of them passed.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:56:56 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Dispersal 

> > Oh yeah?  Oh yeah?  I bid A$19
>
> I _should_ perhaps point out to you fellows that breadbox has already gone
> up to A$20...some time ago, I might add.

  Ah, North by Northwest.  I'll see your A$19 and go to A$18!

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:45:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Robert Sevin's House 

>Now that the invisible permission field has been discharged, I am attaching
>Robert Sevin's house back on the earth.  When we are done, I'm gonna kick
>my feet up and stay awhile.
>
>Mr. Lunatic Fringe
>Offical Ackanomic Radical

You are welcome to do so. I could use some guests. Are you following the
discussion of your Expert status in the Senate mailing list?

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:48:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

>  Someone (Malenkai?) said that we're at the point where the game itself
>has become as interesting as the meta-game.  This of course creates a
>dillema, as some people only want to play one or the other, and some want
>to play both - three mutually exclusive positions. :)  I doubt there is a
>solution to this, if you look at it as a problem.

Why do you think there isn't a solution? We already have Voting and
Nonvoting players -- we're halfway there... It seems easy to make a class of
players that deals only with the rules, a class that only deals with the
effects of rules (subgames, etc), and another class (the standard class)
that does both.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:45:43 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod map auction (fwd)

Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Just to attempt to bring this affair to some sort of closure, I am offering
> to pay Antimatter A$100, for the express purpose of retrieving snowgod.  (I
> am presuming that the fact that this trinket is no longer known as snowgod
> will not really obstruct me from finding the treasure.)
> 
> #transfer Alfvaen, Antimatter:A$100:finding snowgod

I ack this.

Alfvaen has found <nameless trinket>.
#transfer buried, Alfvaen:<???>:treasure

I am offering to pay A$50 as compensation for having to pay A$100 more for a 
A$50 trinket after spending a LOT of A$ on the map.

#transfer Antimatter, Alfvaen:A$50:compensation
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:52:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

>> I think Acka can come pretty close to satisfying everyone. And allow me to
>> once again "toot my own horn", and mention that Townships could go a long
>> way to solving this problem. Does anyone wish to once again debate the
>> merits of this system? I still support it strongly.
>
>  I don't wish to debate it, but if by that you mean the entonomic thing,
>I'm against it.

Entonomic? Never heard of it. But Townships have been discussed in many
forms. My form, briefly, is that the players would group into Townships
(possibly belonging to multiple townships), each with a rule set. All of
these Townships would be part of Acka, and all members would be subject to
one Global Rule Set. Perhaps there would be a Senate, with so many Reps
elected from each Township. Probably a President. Acka would still send
someone to Internomic, not one person from each Township. The main thing --
Townships wouldn't be separate nomics by any means, they would just have
differences from one another, allowing players to express themselves more
freely, without upsetting or alienating others. Inter-Township games would
take place, all players could still participate on both Global and Local
levels if desired, etc. I can provide details as needed. It's never been
totally developed, because it has always been a divisive issue. I think it
would solve a lot of our problems, and would reduce player attrition.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:55:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Observation 

>That is what acka-discuss was.  The problem, as I recall, was that 
>people were creating trinkets and other stuff there that wasn't taking,
>so we had that postal code confusion.  I do not remember what happened,
>but somehow we got back to posting everything on the main list.  It
>seems that there are drawbacks no matter how you slice it, unless people
>can make sure the post to the proper list.

I envision a list that is completely unofficial, and not considered public,
where we can chat on a more personal level, if desired. Acka-discuss seemed
to have the feeling of a more official mailing list. Maybe I'm alone in this
desire to add a mailing list (I also still want a CFJ mailing list). At the
very least "official messages" could be preceded with Acka-Official: in the
subject, rather than just Acka: perhaps. I don't know, I just don't like
this high message volume on the main list. It would be nice to make the main
list the only list required to be subscribed to, and then to keep the mail
volume to the minimum possible, so we don't scare away new players by the
sheer quantity of e-mail.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #126
*******************************