Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #113
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, June 5 1997        Volume 02 : Number 113

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 19:44:34 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 395 Verdict

Red Barn wrote:

[about CFJ 395's verdict]

>   Appeal!  Appeal!

Should this be construed as an actual appeal, or a rhetorical exclamation?

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 20:02:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen)

Alfvaen has been selected for CFJ 391.

Clerk of the Courts
may or may not be Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 391
  Subject: Seeing Blue
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Robert Sevin (declined)
2nd Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (declined)
3rd Judge: Techno (declined)
4th Judge: two-star (declined)
5th Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 05, 1997, 20:02h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Blueprint for the 'The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too
Much, Really' (Blue Thing) defines behaviour for a Gadget that
could potentially break the rules, or could possibly be used to
break the rules.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

There exists an entity called 'Man Thin'.  The Blue Thing's Blueprint
specifies behaviour that would possibly allow someone to change the name
of our esteemed Senator Melvin to this name, which would be a violation
of rule 348.

Upon a verdict of TRUE, the Blueprint and all extant Blue Things are
destroyed, as described in rule 594 with interpretation clarified
by CFJ 261 (the last paragraph of CFJ 261's reasoning has been
superceeded by rule change; the other relavent rules (viz 594 sec (ii))
and customs remain unsubstantial

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 20:09:46 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 134 (CarsesraC)

CarsesraC has been selected.
#award Atilla the Pun: -20 A$: Court Fee

Clerk of the Courts
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 134
  Subject: Illegal Anti-Gumball Chewing
Initiator: Atilla the Pun
    Judge: CarsesraC (selected Jun 04, 1997, 20:09 EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Atilla the Pun has committed a Crime.

Atilla's reasoning:

At approximately 12:10 EDT on June 1, I accidentally posted a message (I had
intended to post it on May 29) in an attempt to chew the Anti-Gumball.  This
was patently illegal, since 1 is not a prime greater than seven.  I believe I
may have accidentally posted this message one or two more times, as well

Suggested penalty:

a FINE of A$100
a SENTENCE of 1 day in the Gaol
(for each erroneous message)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:18:20 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen)

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 391
>   Subject: Seeing Blue
> Initiator: Malenkai
>     Judge: Robert Sevin (declined)
> 2nd Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (declined)
> 3rd Judge: Techno (declined)
> 4th Judge: two-star (declined)
> 5th Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 05, 1997, 20:02h EDT)

Hmmm... anyone know the record for the CFJ declined the most times? :-)
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:33:21 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Enlightenment 

> Yeah, unfortunately the treasure says it both ways..."as long as there is
> Enlightenment" and "as long as player can become Enlightened".  I tried to
> fix that with my Well-Roundedness proposal a couple of weeks ago, to no
> avail.

  If it actually says, "player", then: A-HA!
#trinket A$1: player: comment?
Description:  It looks like a re-embodied entity.
(That was almost certainly wrong.)

  "player" cannot become Enlightened...

  In case it says "players", I shall beat ofthers to the punch thusly:
#trinket A$1: players: comment?
Description:  It looks like a size-six entity in a size-five body.

  BwaHaHa!

- -Red Barn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:36:41 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Personal Info 

> I have read and enjoyed Cherryh, and have read scads of Chalker with
> mixed opinions (I like his SF better than his fantasy).  I don't think
> I have read Lee or Duncan.

  Hum, I prefer Niven to either - but of course it's a different type of
fiction.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:45:23 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Personal Info (serious BWG) 

> of an NPC in my role-playing world (and still is, I suppose,
> a rather nasty character associated with Bandar and the
> bad guys).

  Hum, the first thing that occurred to me was the Lone Wolf books, but the
spelling's wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:46:52 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 395 Verdict 

> >   Appeal!  Appeal!
>
> Should this be construed as an actual appeal, or a rhetorical exclamation?

  Yes.

  No, actually, I appeal.

- -Red Barn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:48:25 -0400
From: Dan Knapp (A.K.A. TheWiz) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen) 

> Call For Judgement 391
>   Subject: Seeing Blue
> Initiator: Malenkai
>     Judge: Robert Sevin (declined)
> 2nd Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (declined)
> 3rd Judge: Techno (declined)
> 4th Judge: two-star (declined)
> 5th Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 05, 1997, 20:02h EDT)
> Judgement:

  Hmm, what's the longest chain thus far?

- -Red Barn
Lazy Mad Scientist Candidate

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:44:14 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BWG: Personal Info

> 1)What do you do for a living?

tech-support for an ISP. Bleh. It's killing me slowly. 

> 2)Where does your Ackanomic name come from?

see 3)

> 3)What are your tastes in reading and music?

some favorite songs (in no particular order.)

10,000 Maniacs - Eden
Ani DiFranco - You Had Time, Overlap
Jane Siberry - Hockey
Lisa Germano - Around the World, Cry Wolf
Hummingfish (local Portland band)- Herons
Sheila Chandra - Quiet #7
Everything but the Girl - Two-Star :)
Massive Attack - Protection (some might think that I'm a little
obssessed with Tracy Thorn, just because I have 11 tapes and CDs with
her voice on them. Nah...)
The Sundays - My Finest Hour (best trip I've ever had is listening to
both Sundays albums simultaneously.)
Innocence Mission - In This Hush
Swing Out Sister - (album) The Living Return (none of their lyrics stand
out much, but the groove is amazing, and Drewery's phrasing... mm hmm.)
Joni Mitchell - Two Gray Rooms, Comfort and Conversation
James Taylor - sweet baby james
Global Communication - (album) 76:14 (I'd pick out a specific track, but
none of the tracks have *names*. Those wacky ambient artists.)
Jan Garbarek - (album) I Took up the Runes
Marion Bauer - Up the Ocklawaha (Piano-Violin thingy. Saved from the
conspiracy to erase the existance of female composers by my Music Theory
prof at Whitman)
Gabriel Fauré - Requiem
Arvo Pärt - Te Deum
João Gilberto - Chega de Saudade (Antonio Carlos Jobim is one of the
best songwriters in any language)
Milton Nascimento - Noites do Sertão
Quinteto Violado - (album) Berra Boi
Ricky Lee Jones - (lots of good songs. don't want to bother listing
them.)
just about anything on 4AD: Kendra Smith, Spoonfed Hybrid, Dead Can
Dance, Heidi Berry, This Mortal Coil...
Negativland - Time Zones
Tinker's Damn - I do not know the name of the song. But it was the best
music being played live on the entire planet at that moment, and the
world was ending at the time. 

I read mostly SF and Fantasy. Kim Stanley Robinson, Bruce Sterling, Guy
Gavriel Kay, and Jane Austen are probably my favorite authors. I tend to
read short stories almost as much as novels.

> 4)Anything else you'd like to volunteer.

My body to science.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:57:58 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Snowgod Map Auction ends

The Snowgod Map Auction is over.

High bidder: Alfvaen @ A$331
Second-high: Red Barn @ A$150

#transfer Alfvaen, Antimatter was here:A$331:Auction
#transfer Red Barn, Antimatter was here:A$150:Auction
#transfer Antimatter was here, Alfvaen:Snowgod Map Contract:Auction

I will send Alfvaen the map in a day or two, unless someone finds a flaw in 
the auction procedure.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:57:58 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Personal Info

> I know this has been asked before(from going through the email archives),
> but I will ask again about the Real People out there.  This is an
> Unofficial Poll; feel free to answer or not, as you wish.  And privately or
> not, depending on how much bandwidth we want to waste.
> 
> 1)What do you do for a living?

I'm a HS student in Seattle, Washington.

> 2)Where does your Ackanomic name come from?

The game "Cosmic Encounter(s)" - great game, play it sometime. It's called 
"Anti-Matter" in the game, but "Antimatter" looks better.

> 3)What are your tastes in reading and music?

I like SF/Fantasy, science fact, computer fact, computer manuals, textbooks, 
... :-)

> 4)Anything else you'd like to volunteer.  :-)

Uh... is this a trick question?

I like playing WCII, roguelike games (mostly Angband and ADOM), Magic, Bartog, 
Cosmic Encounters, and Nomic. I am currently a player in 5 Nomics: Ackanomic, 
Agora, EcoNomic, NeoNomic (founded by me and some of my friends, new players 
welcome), and Rishonomic. I have never been in a mental institution, despite 
what _they_ may tell you. Any similarity I have to a real person, living or 
dead, is entirely coincidental. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean 
everyone isn't out to get you." I don't always act like this. Any paranormal 
powers I may seem to have are entirely your imagination. I am not trying to 
take over the world, never have tried to take over the world, and never will 
try to take over the world (unless I change my mind). First person to guess 2 
of the 3 sports (not neccessarily competitive) I engage in gets a PFAntimatter.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:05:54 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod Map Auction ends

> The Snowgod Map Auction is over.
> 
> High bidder: Alfvaen @ A$331
> Second-high: Red Barn @ A$150
> 
> #transfer Alfvaen, Antimatter was here:A$331:Auction
> #transfer Red Barn, Antimatter was here:A$150:Auction
> #transfer Antimatter was here, Alfvaen:Snowgod Map Contract:Auction

Game custom indicates that the second bid in a Shubik auction goes to
the treasury, at least thats the way I did it when I was both Financier
and Chief Cheese.  Perhaps its not really game custom because the
fact that I did it this way may not have been common knowledge; it was
only in the finance logs.

In any case, I arrived at that interpretation based on the fact that the
auction rule doesn't really say where the second amount goes, and the
treasury rule says all unspecified transactions are with the treasury.

In any case, if I did it wrong, the statute of limitations saves me :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 18:12:32 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod Map Auction ends

Malenkai <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > The Snowgod Map Auction is over.
> > 
> > High bidder: Alfvaen @ A$331
> > Second-high: Red Barn @ A$150
> > 
> > #transfer Alfvaen, Antimatter was here:A$331:Auction
> > #transfer Red Barn, Antimatter was here:A$150:Auction
> > #transfer Antimatter was here, Alfvaen:Snowgod Map Contract:Auction
> 
> Game custom indicates that the second bid in a Shubik auction goes to
> the treasury, at least thats the way I did it when I was both Financier
> and Chief Cheese.  Perhaps its not really game custom because the
> fact that I did it this way may not have been common knowledge; it was
> only in the finance logs.

I don't think it's a very good custom, and besides, one player's doings do not 
a custom make.

> In any case, I arrived at that interpretation based on the fact that the
> auction rule doesn't really say where the second amount goes, and the
> treasury rule says all unspecified transactions are with the treasury.

I couldn't find where it said the first amount went, either. I assumed that, 
this being an auction, game custom would indicate it went to the person 
auctioning. Do we have an expert on auctions around here somewhere?

> In any case, if I did it wrong, the statute of limitations saves me :)

Heh.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:19:20 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen)

> Alfvaen has been selected for CFJ 391.
>
> Clerk of the Courts
> may or may not be Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 391
>   Subject: Seeing Blue
> Initiator: Malenkai
>     Judge: Robert Sevin (declined)
> 2nd Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (declined)
> 3rd Judge: Techno (declined)
> 4th Judge: two-star (declined)
> 5th Judge: Alfvaen (selected Jun 05, 1997, 20:02h EDT)

I'm not afraid.  Foolhardy, perhaps.  I accept this CFJ.  And this time I
might really take some time on it.  (I resolved not to spend the entire
evening online, like I did last night, although I did manage to go over
most of December's mail logs for trinkets...)

This judgement might be different if Generic Proposal Title #2024(or
whatever it was)passes.  (Hmmm...you know, sometime I'd like to submit
Generic Proposal Title #N which created a rule named that...)  So maybe
that'll give me an excuse to hold off a day before starting to consider it.
:-)  Actually, seriously...in this case, the CFJ is not referring to past
events, so I'd best take into account possible upcoming changes to the
ruleset.

And so my AckaPhysicist report on Acid Rain and the life cycle of the Amber
Banana Tree gets shelves once more.  :-)  Or maybe that should wait until I
see if P2030 gets passed, too...  Say, that gives me an idea for a work of
Literature...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Mike Oldfield:The Songs of Distant Earth
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
Night is turning thin; the saint is turning to sin.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:20:21 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 134 (CarsesraC)

That's what I love about this game...players calling CFCJ's on themselves.
The amount of objectivity this game engenders is amazing.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Mike Oldfield:The Songs of Distant Earth
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
Don't you dare skid on my rainbow paper!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:18:46 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod Map Auction ends

Antimatter was Here wrote:

> I don't think it's a very good custom, and besides, one player's doings
> do not a custom make.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that, at least not around here :)

> I couldn't find where it said the first amount went, either. I
> assumed that, this being an auction, game custom would indicate it
> went to the person auctioning. Do we have an expert on auctions around
> here somewhere?

Section 7 of the auction rule actually *says* the second bid goes to
the treasury, so it is not a game custom issue after all.  Game custom
has the first bid going to the player in a player-called auction.

Malenkai
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:21:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen)

Alfvaen wrote:

> This judgement might be different if Generic Proposal Title #2024(or
> whatever it was)passes.  (Hmmm...you know, sometime I'd like to submit
> Generic Proposal Title #N which created a rule named that...)  So maybe
> that'll give me an excuse to hold off a day before starting to consider it.
> :-)  Actually, seriously...in this case, the CFJ is not referring to past
> events, so I'd best take into account possible upcoming changes to the
> ruleset.

Actually, CFJs are almost *always* judged with respect to the game state
at the time they were submitted.  I see nothing that would make 391 an
exception.

Malenkai
lots of BWG tonite
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:34:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Alexandre Muniz wrote:

> Their votes some endeavored to place
> Through Common Gateway Interface.
> Their names I've discovered;
> Soon I'll have recovered
> A prize for a poem of grace.
> 
> **two-star
> 

I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to check the Postal Code right now, but I
think you might actually HAVE to send this to the acka-games list for it
to count.

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 19:35:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen)

>> This judgement might be different if Generic Proposal Title #2024(or
>> whatever it was)passes.  (Hmmm...you know, sometime I'd like to submit
>> Generic Proposal Title #N which created a rule named that...)  So maybe
>> that'll give me an excuse to hold off a day before starting to consider it.
>> :-)  Actually, seriously...in this case, the CFJ is not referring to past
>> events, so I'd best take into account possible upcoming changes to the
>> ruleset.
> 
> Actually, CFJs are almost *always* judged with respect to the game state
> at the time they were submitted.  I see nothing that would make 391 an
> exception.

From Rule 215 "Judgements Must Accord With The Rules":

All Judgements must be in accordance with all the rules in effect
at the time judgement was invoked, and with respect to the game
state at that time....

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:36:19 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 391 (Alfvaen)

> > This judgement might be different if Generic Proposal Title #2024(or
> > whatever it was)passes.  (Hmmm...you know, sometime I'd like to submit
> > Generic Proposal Title #N which created a rule named that...)  So maybe
> > that'll give me an excuse to hold off a day before starting to consider it.
> > :-)  Actually, seriously...in this case, the CFJ is not referring to past
> > events, so I'd best take into account possible upcoming changes to the
> > ruleset.
> 
> Actually, CFJs are almost *always* judged with respect to the game state
> at the time they were submitted.  I see nothing that would make 391 an
> exception.

But the game state regarding CFJ391 may change between submission and
verdict.  I'll see if the new proposal passes, and if it would change my
decision, but I would go with the more current one.  Another CFJ can clear
that up if necessary.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In The Other Room--Martika:Toy Soldiers
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:50:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 392 (Antimatter)

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Bascule wrote:

> Vynd wrote:
> 
> [snip of some stuff]
> 
> > I must disagree with the reasoning that because Rule 517 states
> > that players must obey contracts, it is therefor legal to do so. 
> > This seems to me to be the focal point of our disagreement over
> > this issue.
> 
> I agree there.
> 
> > If I were to write up a contract which said "I must take three illegal
> > actions" and sign it, what would happen?  Well, the contract rule says
> > that I must obey any contract I have signed.  Thus, it would obviously be
> > illegal for me not to take three illegal actions, because that would be
> > failing to follow my contract.  Writting and signing such a contract would
> > not, however, make it legal for me to commit these illegal actions. 
> 
> I would say that you _had_ to obey your contract, and that it was
> illegal to obey your contract at the same time. My interpretation is
> of it coming down to precedence. If your illegal actions were be
> proscribed by rules with higher precedence than the contracts rule,
> then they would fail. If R517 had higher precedence then your
> actions would be legal and would succeed. 
> 
> > Just because the contract rule says I must honor my contracts does
> > not make it legal to do so, it merely makes it illegal for me not
> > to do so.
> 
> Critical to my reasoning is the "must" bit of R517. If you must do 
> something, it is legal to do so with respect to that rule. It 
> may be ultimately illegal because of different rules, and that is 
> how I interpret your and /dev/joe's examples. In this case, the rule 
> that is making it illegal is the same sentence in the same rule, so 
> there is no precedence argument.

I still don't see why you feel that the "must" bit means that it is legal.
Perhaps there is game custom in this area, but I am pretty much certian
that there are no rules which say that just because something is required
by the rules, that thing is legal.  Your arguement for precedence would be
solid, I think, if this whle saying something is required makes it legal
thing were true, but it's irrelevant otherwise.  As I see it, while the
contract rule says that you are required to obey your contracts, it
doesn't explicitly state that this is either legal or illegal.  Nor does
it say that breaking your contracts is legal or illegal.  the only rule
that has anything to say on the legality of this requirement is the Crime
rule, which says that failure to do something the rules require is
illegal.  It does not say anything that leads me to believe that required
actions are by default legal, and neither does any other rule that I know
of.  It is possible that this is an area in which no rules, or even game
custom, exist.

> > 
> > [email-masked]
> > Go Wings!
> 
> Bascule 
> 

                                  - Vynd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:05:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Personal Info

> 1)What do you do for a living?

I am a Professional Geek (i.e., computer programmer).

> 2)Where does your Ackanomic name come from?

An occasional nickname of mine from college. During an online
discussion of nicknames, someone said: "I want to give someone the
nickname of breadbox. Who will volunteer?" I did.

> 3)What are your tastes in reading and music?

My reading seems to consist mostly of O'Reilly books these days.
Outside of that, my nonfiction tends towards mathematical subjects
(Martin Gardner and his ilk), and sometimes other sciences. My fiction
reading is mostly anthologies, as I generally prefer the shorter
forms. Some names that come to mind are Amy Hempel, David Foster
Wallace, Margaret Atwood, and Lisa Goldstein.

My music leans to the avant-garde, with random wanderings into the
more popular genres. Laurie Anderson, Christine Baczewkska, John Cage,
George Crumb, Ellen Fullman, Anna Homler, Lush, Miranda Sex Garden,
Moonshake, Negativland, Pram, PJ Harvey, Harry Partch, Steve Reich,
Sonic Youth, Stereolab, TMBG, Throwing Muses, John Zorn.

> 4)Anything else you'd like to volunteer.  :-)

I am currently the foremost programmer in INTERCAL. (If you've never
heard of the INTERCAL programming language, you can learn about it by
visiting my web page and following the appropriate link.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:09:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 397 (CnH) 

>CFJ 397 has been assigned to CnH

Decline.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 23:04:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Frobnotzer + Otzma

1) I am building a Pyriac Frobnotzer.  It will be finished in 3 days.

2) If someone is willing to calculate those parameters for the Otzma
cards, I will declare an Otzma day.  Since those cards aren't really
used much, I'm not sure if there is any interest.

Malenkai
Wizard
Acting Runemaker
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:22:58 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: No. of Judges

Having done a quick scan of the CFJ's, if only to satisfy my own curiosity
(as well as that of the two other people who wondered this aloud, whose
identities have slipped from my sievelike brain), there has in fact been
another CFJ that made it to the 5th Judge before it was accepted.  That was
CFJ 216, which had something to do with the Fat Lady singing.  However,
there were a couple of "no responses" in there; so this CFJ is the only one
to have been actually declined four times.  There have been plenty of
4-judge CFJs, 14 by my count.

And, if we count judges whose selection was invalid, CFJ 384 has had six.
:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Lyle Lovett:Joshua Judges Ruth
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
Burn this message.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:24:40 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer + Otzma

> 2) If someone is willing to calculate those parameters for the Otzma
> cards, I will declare an Otzma day.  Since those cards aren't really
> used much, I'm not sure if there is any interest.

I'd be interested to see such a thing, and as has become apparent over the
past few days, I love groveling over /dev/joe's web pages.  If I get a
chance tomorrow, I will attempt to calculate the Otzma parameters.  As long
as /dev/joe's pages are up to date...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--The Carpenters:Reminiscing
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
My heart it is so big, I can't get through the door

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:28:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Personal Info

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Aaron Humphrey wrote:

> 
> I know this has been asked before(from going through the email archives),
> but I will ask again about the Real People out there.  This is an
> Unofficial Poll; feel free to answer or not, as you wish.  And privately or
> not, depending on how much bandwidth we want to waste.
> 
> 1)What do you do for a living?

I'm asenior at the University of Michigan, majoring in Psychology and an
Interdisciplinary Social science program.  yeah, I know, unmarketable
skills.  Bite me, it's fun.

> 2)Where does your Ackanomic name come from?

I made it up myself years ago.  To the best of my knowledge, it is
entirely unique, although I have lately heard a few rumors that someone
else has used it as an alias.  Besides acka, I tend to use it in most of
my other net game type stuff, especially Battletech MU**s, which I've been
active on for a long time.  The name is even older than that though, I'm
not sure when I first started using it.  I do distinctly recall that I
choose it because it contained no vowels, and yet was pronouncable, anbd
easy to spell and remember.

> 3)What are your tastes in reading and music?

I don't listen to much music, I'm too easily distracted.  I don't even own
a CD player, or any tapes for my radio/cassette player.  In the car, I do
listen to the radio, and I prefer classic rock such as the Stones,
Beetles, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, CCR, Leonard Skinner, etc.

I read a lot.  In the last few weeks, I've been reading William Gibson and
Bruce Sterling, but I threw in an anthology of Edgar Allen Poe stories for
variety.  I've also been known to read Terry Pratchett, David Brin, Greg
Bear, Julian May, Charles Dickens, Tom Clancy, Neal Stephenson, Larry
Niven, and another dozen authors who's names my balky memory won't cough
up at the moment, oh, wait, gotta throw in Stanislaw Lem and Philip K.
Dick...

> 4)Anything else you'd like to volunteer.  :-)

I'm a big fan of Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  I don't have a Visa card,
it's number is 476-5903 6 3081.

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]
Wings in 4!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:45:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Personal Info 

>not sure when I first started using it.  I do distinctly recall that I
>choose it because it contained no vowels, and yet was pronouncable, anbd
>easy to spell and remember.

Although, for the record, the y is a vowel in your name, assuming you
pronounce it like "Vind" (with a long or short i). Actually, I'd be
hard-pressed to think of a way to pronounce your name where the y wouldn't
be a vowel. 

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #113
*******************************