Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #110
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, June 3 1997         Volume 02 : Number 110

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:01:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 391 (Robert Sevin)

> #trinket A$1: Red Barn: Safeguarding our heritage
> #transfer Buried   Your_Name_Here  : +1 Red Barn: BwaHaHa.
	Proper format for these is:

#trinket Your_Name_Here : Red Barn : 1 : safeguarding our heritage
#transfer your_name_here, buried : red barn: BwaHaHa.

The +1 in front of Red Barn was optional.

- -- 
Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:25:46 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vending 

I accept Guy Fawkes gift ofg a vending machine.

Mr. Nacho

#transfer Guy Fawkes, Mr. Nacho : Vending Maching : Gift

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:31:08 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Paryaer of Deliverance 

Gods of Rain and Rama Lama
Lama lama lama Ding
Dong!

Listen to my words
When I say unto you
The words that my comrade spoke
earlier!

"Gargling astronautically,
laki atino makini lorhocal
Is as much aerodynamical
As astrobiologic. Is really."

and take them as if they were my own

Do not sweep our homes away!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:29:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: IP

> 2) The voting ends Thu June 05, at 12:46.  Send votes to me.  Please put
> "IP" in the subject line.
	As I cannot vote PRESENT on this one I will vote to ACCEPT
this IP.  If worst comes I'll take the job.

- -- 
Moh

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:58:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Duel

Mohammed has selected me to be his second in the duel against two-star,
the one so bold as to try to win a PFMohammed, at risk of not getting
any prize at all in the CGI Puzzle contest if he loses...

Mohammed has accepted this duel, and has chosen the Limerick Contest.

/dev/joe
Second to Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:05:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stuff

> Hello everyone.  This is, I think, the 82nd acka related message of the
> day (not counting whatever is going out on Church and Chess related lists,
> etc).  I am sure expert Malenkai is pleased.  I would also like to broach
> the delicate topic of our vacationing President.  As I recall, Niccolo
> encouraged us to appoint Mohammed, his would be opponent in the
> Presidential elections, Acting president while he is gone.  I really liked
> the sound of Mohammed's plan for the office, and I was wondering if we
> could perhaps put Niccolo's suggestion into effect sometime soon...
	Thank you for your kind support.  I hope this really takes off.

- -- 
Mohammed
Kings from another planet led the big parade.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:36:10 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Still more silliness

I am creating 100 trinkets called "Really Cheap Trinket N", where N is replaced 
by a number from 1 to 100, worth A$0.01 each (for a total of A$100).

(I hope this is about right for this many trinkets):
#trinket Antimatter was here:100 Really Cheap Trinkets:1:Silliness

I will wait till it is determined how much I just spent before proceeding.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:44:50 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

I am making the following CFJ:

Antimatter was here spent a total of A$1 creating the 100 Really Cheap 
Trinkets.

Antimatter was here's reasoning:
Rule 506 does not prevent the creation of trinkets with a value of less than 
A$1. Since I created all of these trinkets simultaneously, the transfer is 
obviously made simultaneously. Rule 505 would then round it up, except it is 
already exactly A$1.

Also, the R506 takes precedence over R505 due to a clause in R505, so it is 
possible that no rounding takes place in the creation or destruction of 
trinkets anyways.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:40:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod map auction

>I see your A$110 and I bid A$113 on both.

  A$120 on both.

- -Red Barn
Mad Scientist wannabe
____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 08:51:56 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 395 (You can call me Al)

CFJ 395 has been assigned to You can call me Al.

BTW, to save bandwidth, you need only submit CFJs to the CotC,
like proposals are submitted only to the Promoter.

Clerk of the Courts
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgment 395
  Subject: Cheap Trinkets
Initiator: Antimatter was Here
    Judge: You can call me Al (selected Jun 03, 1997, 8:51h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

Antimatter was here spent a total of A$1 creating the 100 Really Cheap
Trinkets.

Antimatter was here's reasoning:

Rule 506 does not prevent the creation of trinkets with a value of less than
A$1. Since I created all of these trinkets simultaneously, the transfer is
obviously made simultaneously. Rule 505 would then round it up, except it is
already exactly A$1.

Also, the R506 takes precedence over R505 due to a clause in R505, so it is
possible that no rounding takes place in the creation or destruction of
trinkets anyways.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:54:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Red Barn's trinkets

>>   The map is the same.  Anyone who has a guess, please provide
>> documentation: I don't believe the information is readily available at
>> present. :)
>
>For the potential prize of 1 A$, I'll probably be up all night working
>on the documentation ;).

  Ooh!  Ooh!  That   Your_Name_Here   person told me it had something to
do with those harfy trinkets!

- -Red Barn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 08:20:56 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Acka: CFJ 391 (Techno) 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  [email-masked]'
Subject:  RE:  Acka: CFJ 391 (Techno)
Date: 1997-06-03 08:34
Priority: 3
Message ID: 70F4F46769DBD011948C0060976638FA
Conversation ID: RE:  Acka: CFJ 391 (Techno)

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must decline judgeship on this CFJ.

Techno

 -----Original Message-----
From: malenkai [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 1997 8:03 PM
Subject:  Acka: CFJ 391 (Techno)

CFJ 391 has been reassigned to Techno.

Clerk of the Courts
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 391
  Subject: Seeing Blue
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Robert Sevin (declined)
2nd Judge: Calvin N Hobbes (declined)
3rd Judge: Techno (selected Jun 02, 1997, 19:53h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The Blueprint for the 'The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too
Much, Really' (Blue Thing) defines behaviour for a Gadget that
could potentially break the rules, or could possibly be used to
break the rules.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

There exists an entity called 'Man Thin'.  The Blue Thing's Blueprint
specifies behaviour that would possibly allow someone to change the name
of our esteemed Senator Melvin to this name, which would be a violation
of rule 348.

Upon a verdict of TRUE, the Blueprint and all extant Blue Things are
destroyed, as described in rule 594 with interpretation clarified
by CFJ 261 (the last paragraph of CFJ 261's reasoning has been
superceeded by rule change; the other relavent rules (viz 594 sec (ii))
and customs remain unsubstantial

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 392 (Antimatter)

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Vynd wrote:

>This is much the same reasoning that I made in judging Bascule's earlier,
>similar, and now non-existant CFJ.  It's also pretty much what Thinman
>said way back when said CFJ was first released.  To sum up, contracts
>can't make ANYTHING legal.  At most, they can place restrictions on you
>that make it illegal to do something you normaly could ahve done.  In this
>case, Bascuel's first contract does not make it legal for him to give A$10
>Alfvaen, any such reasoning is absurd, because this has always been legal.
>What it does is make it illegal for him NOT to give Alfvaen A$10.
>Similarly, his second contract does not make it legal for him to not give
>Alfvaen A$10, it was legal for him to not do this already.  What it does
>is make it illegal for him to give Alfvaen money.  Not only should this
>CFJ be judged false, but someone should probably submit a CFCJ against
>Bascule, perhaps Alfvaen, since he seems to be the injured party. =)  I'd
>also recommend that Bascule destroy one or both of the contracts, I think
>it's legal for him to do so.  If he doesn't, one is faced with the
>interesting fact that Bascule would be commiting a Crime all the time,
>simply by being in the game, whether or not he gives Alfvaen any money.  I
>don't know if the Crime rule is very well equiped to handel this or not,
>and it certainly points out a serioud problem with conflicting
>contracts...

I've been wondering if there was any amusement value in doing this, and
Vynd's comments seem to indicate that there is, so I am signing both of
Bascule's contracts.  I believe this is legal, as contracts have a place
for signitures (that's plural) at the bottom, and a player can sign any
contract.  He will not, however, now be able to destroy them without my
permission. 

- -mr cwm

PS  Since Bascule will only be committing a Crime all the time, and not
committing illegal acts all the time, I don't think the problem is really
that serious.

PPS  Is it just me, or has the game picked up a bit, recently?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:31:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

>I am creating 100 trinkets called "Really Cheap Trinket N", where N is replaced 
>by a number from 1 to 100, worth A$0.01 each (for a total of A$100).

  No Ackapennies.

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:41:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 392 (Antimatter)

> PPS  Is it just me, or has the game picked up a bit, recently?

I think it has.  Not that I have anything prior to judge by, but the first
bit of May seemed very subdued to me--perhaps the abduction of Rule 106 had
something to with that.  And Malenkai's return seems to have helped a bit
too.  I think it's the contract stuff and the Nacho-Antimatter name feud,
as well.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Squeeze:Babylon And On
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
Once I was the King of Pain; now I eat humble pie.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:45:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod map auction

> >I see your A$110 and I bid A$113 on both.
> 
>   A$120 on both.

I vill--excuse me, will bid A$127 on the map to snowgod, and A$133 on
the Antimatter.  (Just to spice things up a bit...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Squeeze:Babylon And On
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
Pick a piece of me; it'll never be the same twice.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:45:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

> >I am creating 100 trinkets called "Really Cheap Trinket N", where N is replaced 
> >by a number from 1 to 100, worth A$0.01 each (for a total of A$100).
> 
>   No Ackapennies.

On the other hand, there is "The 500 Misplaced Ackapennies"; perhaps what
happens is the creation of "The 100 Really Cheap Trinkets".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Squeeze:Babylon And On
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
The worthy machine ought not always paste the astronomer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:06:57 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Oh, Mr. Tailor

I am creating a contract which I will call "The Tailor Contract".  The
text of this contract is as follows:

   Alfvaen shall give A$25 to Beldin's Tailor if Beldin's Tailor
   changes the word "loses" to "gains" in the rule "Beldin's Pants".
   This contract will be destroyed at the moment the rule "Beldin's
   Pants" no longer contains the word "trinket", or if Alfvaen publicly
   announces that this contract is destroyed.

I am signing this contract.

(Basically, I'm curious as to where these trinkets would come from.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Muppets:Mr. Bassman
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
I'm afraid of poetic chick embryos.  What are you afraid of?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:24:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod map auction

>I vill--excuse me, will bid A$127 on the map to snowgod, and A$133 on
>the Antimatter.  (Just to spice things up a bit...)

  I vall vid vun vundred vand vivty vackadollars von ze zap zand za
zantimattur.  (Vi um VAD!  Vy do vu zink vi vave zis voutrageous
vaccent!?)

- - Red Barn, For Mad Scientist

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:38:28 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka : President Nomination 

>Hi.
>
>I am nominating myself for President.
>-- 
>Mohammed
>A sole baker and a surfer barely escaped from an intelligent buccaneer
>from Mexico.

Oh MAN! I vote with every tiny speckled muon of my AckaSoul FOR Mohammed for
President! And if this is a stupid, futile, or illegal action then ignore
it...and would someone please tell me in which forum I should vote, then?
:v) Muchas gracias.

Altruism

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:38:48 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Blue Thing 

>> But let it be known that I WILL have snowgod back before Antimatter leaves
>> my hands or ends up in the museum!   BWUHAHAHAHA!
>
>I can't wait to see this one. How, may I ask, will you retrieve snowgod if
it's 
>safely buried? You won't fulfil the conditions, I'll tell you that :-) 
>Well, you might, but not easily. Does it have something to do with that Oscar?

I won't say again (for QUITE a while probably) that Ackanomic is dull. ;v) I
have to agree with Vynd - this has been a BREATHLESS thread, although (at
the end) a bit convoluted [sic?] and hard to follow...

Al

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:53:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

>Antimatter was here spent a total of A$1 creating the 100 Really Cheap 
>Trinkets.

  Hey, this is possible??!?!?!?  Sure hope so, because:

  I am creating 117,649 trinkets, for one 117,649th of an Ackadollar
each.  Each is named "Quite Garish Tie #N", where N is a unique decimal
number for each, from 1 to 40,353,607.  The description for the ties
varies depending upon the number, based on the value of N for the tie in
base 7.  The description is formed from several parts, which are
concatenated to form the actual description.

  The first part of the description is, for all of the ties:
  "It's a Quite Garish Tie, with "

  The second varies depending on the value of the ones' place in N base 7.
If that value is:    The second part is:
  0 ................. "baby blue"
  1 ................. "light green"
  2 ................. "mauve"
  3 ................. "bright orange"
  4 ................. "chartreuse"
  5 ................. "deep yellow"
  6 ................. "lemon-colored"

  The third part is simply a single space: " ".
  The fourth part depends on the value of the sevens' place in N base 7.
If that value is:    The fourth part is:
  0 ................. "large"
  1 ................. "small"
  2 ................. "elongated"
  3 ................. "fattened"
  4 ................. "twisty"
  5 ................. "wavy"
  6 ................. "curly"

  The fifth part is a space, " ".
If the 49s' place of N base 7 is:      The 6th part is:
  0 .................................. "stripes"
  1 .................................. "polka-dots"
  2 .................................. "zig-zags"
  3 .................................. "crescents"
  4 .................................. "umlauts"
  5 .................................. "omlettes"
  6 .................................. "spirals"

  The seventh part is more glue, " atop a background of"...
If the 343s' place of N base 7 is:    The 8th part is:
  0 .................................. "solidly colored"
  1 .................................. "faded"
  2 .................................. "swirled"
  3 .................................. "checkered"
  4 .................................. "striped"
  5 .................................. "hallucinogenically rainbowed"
  6 .................................. "irregularly patterned"

  The 9th part is " in ".
If the 2401s' place of N base 7 is:  The 10th part is:
  0 .................................. "brown"
  1 .................................. "yellow"
  2 .................................. "orange"
  3 .................................. "red"
  4 .................................. "green"
  5 .................................. "blue"
  6 .................................. "grue"

  NOW it gets tricky.
  If the 343s' place of N base 7 is 0 or 1, and the 16807s' place of N
base 7 is:                            The 11th part is:
  0 .................................. "-colored."
  1 .................................. "-toned."
  2 .................................. "-hued."
  3 .................................. " in appearance."
  4 .................................. " in color."
  5 .................................. ", most of the time."
  6 .................................. " very slightly."

  If the 343s' place of N base 7 is 2, 3, or 4, and the 16807s' place of
N base 7 is:                          The 11th part is:
  0 .................................. " and blue."
  1 .................................. " and green."
  2 .................................. " and orange."
  3 .................................. " and magenta."
  4 .................................. " and rouge."
  5 .................................. " and yellow."
  6 .................................. " and mauve-tinted purple."

  Finally, if the 343s' place of N base 7 is 5 or 6, and the 16807s' place
of N base 7 is:                       The 11th part is:
  0 .................................. ", blue, and orange."
  1 .................................. ", yellow, and purple."
  2 .................................. ", green, and nightshade."
  3 .................................. ", forest green, and brown."
  4 .................................. ", brilliant turquoise, and blue."
  5 .................................. ", chartreuse, and orange."
  6 .................................. ", blue-green, and fourty-two."

  For obvious reasons, I have no idea how to put this through the Acrobot.

- - Red Barn (for Mad Scientist)

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:04:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

> >Antimatter was here spent a total of A$1 creating the 100 Really Cheap 
> >Trinkets.
> 
>   Hey, this is possible??!?!?!?  Sure hope so, because:
> 
>   I am creating 117,649 trinkets, for one 117,649th of an Ackadollar
> each. 

I shouldn't have opened my big mouth. :-O

I guess I'd better start writing proposals to fix the fractional problem PDQ.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 13:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

>>   I am creating 117,649 trinkets, for one 117,649th of an Ackadollar
>> each. 
>
>I shouldn't have opened my big mouth. :-O
>
>I guess I'd better start writing proposals to fix the fractional problem PDQ.

  BwaHaHa!  And wait 'til you see my forthcoming Evil Plots proposal...

- -Red Barn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:30:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

> > >Antimatter was here spent a total of A$1 creating the 100 Really Cheap 
> > >Trinkets.
> > 
> >   Hey, this is possible??!?!?!?  Sure hope so, because:
> > 
> >   I am creating 117,649 trinkets, for one 117,649th of an Ackadollar
> > each. 
> 
> I shouldn't have opened my big mouth. :-O
> 
> I guess I'd better start writing proposals to fix the fractional problem PDQ.

Don't forget to handle the PC's while you're at it...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Squeeze:Babylon And On
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
Get thee down.  Be thou funky.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:35:28 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

> >Antimatter was here spent a total of A$1 creating the 100 Really Cheap 
> >Trinkets.
> 
>   Hey, this is possible??!?!?!?  Sure hope so, because:
> 
>   I am creating 117,649 trinkets, for one 117,649th of an Ackadollar
> each.  Each is named "Quite Garish Tie #N", where N is a unique decimal
> number for each, from 1 to 40,353,607.  The description for the ties
> varies depending upon the number, based on the value of N for the tie in
> base 7.  The description is formed from several parts, which are
> concatenated to form the actual description.

If there are 117,649 Quite Garish Ties with numbers from 1 to
40,353,607, I believe that you should be required to specify which
117,649 numbers from 1 to 40,353,607 you are giving to your 117,649
Quite Garish Tie.  Otherwise the creation will fail, because you have
determinately assigned a unique name to each Quite Garish Tie.

However, if you do create your Quite Garish Ties, I will be happy to write
a program to automatically to determine the description corresponding to
each QGT #N.  In fact, I don't think you can stop me.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Squeeze:Babylon And On
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
If you rip the wings off a fly, do you get a walk?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:42:58 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Snowgod map auction

> >I vill--excuse me, will bid A$127 on the map to snowgod, and A$133 on
> >the Antimatter.  (Just to spice things up a bit...)
> 
>   I vall vid vun vundred vand vivty vackadollars von ze zap zand za
> zantimattur.  (Vi um VAD!  Vy do vu zink vi vave zis voutrageous
> vaccent!?)

I thought the v-key on your keyboard just stuck.  Or one of your fingers
got stuck to it.

I will bid A$331 for the Map to snowgod.  (See, Bascule, I told you your
money wouldn't be wasted...:-)  Red Barn may have Antimatter if he wants
it.

I am also now creating a trinket called Normal Matter, value A$5:

#trinket Alfvaen: Normal Matter: 5

Normal Matter is just like Antimatter, except its exact opposite in all
respects.  If Normal Matter and Antimatter were both players, they
would be Evil Twins.  If the Rules allowed one to specify these kinds
of things for trinkets, any player owning both Normal Matter and
Antimatter should go up in an explosion somewhat like that of the
Gumball and Anti-Gumball.  (For that matter, anything that's not
Antimatter coming into contact with Antimatter should have such an
effect.  But perhaps AckaPhysics permits the two to exist side by side
under certain circumstances.)

I haven't decided what to do with this yet, but I welcome suggestions.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Squeeze:Babylon And On
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
I'm not gay.  I'm British, and I want a cigarette.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:17:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

>If there are 117,649 Quite Garish Ties with numbers from 1 to 40,353,607,
>I believe that you should be required to specify which 117,649 numbers
>from 1 to 40,353,607 you are giving to your 117,649 Quite Garish Tie. 
>Otherwise the creation will fail, because you have determinately assigned
>a unique name to each Quite Garish Tie. 

  D'oh, that was a mistake.  I was originally creating 40,353,607 ties
(7^8), but settled on 117,649 (7^6).  If there's any action I can take
that lets me now specify that in fact the Quite Garish Tie numbers are the
integers from 1 to 117,649 (which, you will note, are all numbers from 1
to 40,353,607), or if necessary repeat the creation, I do so now.

>However, if you do create your Quite Garish Ties, I will be happy to
>write a program to automatically to determine the description
>corresponding to each QGT #N.  In fact, I don't think you can stop me. 
>:-)

  Thanks much :)

- -Red Barn

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:50:48 -0800
From: "Ross Morgan-Linial" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

> >I am creating 100 trinkets called "Really Cheap Trinket N", where N is replaced 
> >by a number from 1 to 100, worth A$0.01 each (for a total of A$100).
> 
>   No Ackapennies.

I know... but trinkets can have a value of any positive amount of A$, and I 
spent a total of A$1, which includes no ackapennies. I think.
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 13:23:39 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh, Mr. Tailor

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> 
> I am creating a contract which I will call "The Tailor Contract".  The
> text of this contract is as follows:
> 
>    Alfvaen shall give A$25 to Beldin's Tailor if Beldin's Tailor
>    changes the word "loses" to "gains" in the rule "Beldin's Pants".
>    This contract will be destroyed at the moment the rule "Beldin's
>    Pants" no longer contains the word "trinket", or if Alfvaen publicly
>    announces that this contract is destroyed.
> 
> I am signing this contract.
> 
> (Basically, I'm curious as to where these trinkets would come from.)

Well, since the rule doesn't seem to allow any new trinket to be 
created-- (if it tried to create a new trinket it would fail because it 
gives no method of determining its name, description, or value--)  
then if /dev/joe's proposal goes through, I expect I vould receeff 
*cough* a randomly selected gainable trinket, that is, an extant trinket 
which is not already in my possession. (In other words, in all 
likelyhood, a Quite Garish Tie, (if their creation was legal.))

**two-(star)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:35:54 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh, Mr. Tailor

> > (Basically, I'm curious as to where these trinkets would come from.)

> Well, since the rule doesn't seem to allow any new trinket to be 
> created-- (if it tried to create a new trinket it would fail because it 
> gives no method of determining its name, description, or value--)  
> then if /dev/joe's proposal goes through, I expect I vould receeff 
> *cough* a randomly selected gainable trinket, that is, an extant trinket 
> which is not already in my possession. (In other words, in all 
> likelyhood, a Quite Garish Tie, (if their creation was legal.))

That would seem most reasonable to me, too, although I think an endless
stream of "Must Describe" A$1 trinkets would be interesting as well.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Squeeze:853-5937
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
Chopsticks and Slurpees.  It's a bad idea.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 16:42:53 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 395 (You can call me Al) 

>Clerk of the Courts
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Call For Judgment 395
>  Subject: Cheap Trinkets
>Initiator: Antimatter was Here
>    Judge: You can call me Al (selected Jun 03, 1997, 8:51h EDT)
>Judgement:

I accept, and should pass judgment soon - I'm typing as you read.

Al

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 17:03:34 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: IP

At 12:29 AM 6/3/97 -0500, Jason Orendorff wrote:
>> 2) The voting ends Thu June 05, at 12:46.  Send votes to me.  Please put
>> "IP" in the subject line.
>	As I cannot vote PRESENT on this one I will vote to ACCEPT
>this IP.  If worst comes I'll take the job.
>
>-- 
>Moh

I vote to REJECT this IP - since I would hate for this renaming fiasco to
end in a forced draw. :vp

Al

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:19:10 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFCJ 133 Verdict (Public Apology)

> A PUBLIC APOLOGY of 3 lines [preferrably in the form of a haiku ;-)]
> 
> 
ThinMan broke the rules
and Malenkai's head left bare;
a thousand pardons.

ThinMan
Repentant

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 17:23:07 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Prayer for Deliverance 

Unprecedentedly we wander
Down a winding road lined by
Banana trees and
Indefatigable nomicians
When it rains, it pours
And when it pours, it pours as Himself predicted in his famed 1929 speech to
the sadoanarchophysiognomists:
"Il camembert xoao parmigiana."

Al
Priest of the Church of Odo on the Wormhole
                                     __________
                                    /          \
                                   /            \
                                  |   o     o    |
                                  |    |   |     |
                             ----------|   |----------
                             -----------\_/-----------
                           [email-masked]
                             -------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:51:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Anti-Gumball 

Today has a prime date greater than seven; therefore, I am chewing the
Anti-Gumball.

Before chewing it, I pause briefly to admire the perfect tetrahedral form of
the Anti-Gumball.  Then, I pop it into my mouth and bite down on it.

The fabric of the universe ripples briefly as the Anti-Gumball reacts to the
recent prescence of the Gumball.

- -Micah Smukler
AKA AtP

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 16:01:14 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Re: Acka: Still more silliness 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  [email-masked]'
Subject:  RE:  Re: Acka: Still more silliness
Date: 1997-06-03 16:14
Priority: 3
Message ID: 3AFE4B59F4DBD011948C0060976638FA
Conversation ID: RE:  Re: Acka: Still more silliness

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 If you distribute these as individual trinkets, and one is destroyed or   
cashed in, players cannot be paid in ackapennies and therefore the player   
would get A$1 due to rounding.  I see a major scam and a crash to the   
acka economy if this happens.  Does anyone else see it this way?

Techno

 -----Original Message-----
From: rmorganl [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 1997 3:11 PM
Subject:  Re: Acka: Still more silliness

> >I am creating 100 trinkets called "Really Cheap Trinket N", where N is
replaced
> >by a number from 1 to 100, worth A$0.01 each (for a total of A$100).
>
>   No Ackapennies.

I know... but trinkets can have a value of any positive amount of A$, and   
I
spent a total of A$1, which includes no ackapennies. I think.
 -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:59:33 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Non-Acka: Canadian Politics

Well, we had our federal election last night, and I thought I'd bring you
all up to speed on Canadian politics, just 'cause...:-)

It was actually very simple until about three years ago.  There were two
major parties, the Liberals and the Conservatives(actually Progressive
Conservatives, also PCs or Tories), and a few minor ones, like the Social
Credit(SoCred) and New Democratic(NDP) parties, but mostly things went back
and forth between the Liberals and the Conservatives, with a few crumbs for
the smaller parties.

In '93, after a long period of PC domination, there was a major upset.
The Liberals won with a huge majority of seats in Parliament, which is
not surprising.  But suddenly two fairly new parties, the Reform
party(which is quite right-wing), and the Bloc Quebecois(which favours
Quebec separatism)came more or less out of nowhere and grabbed a hundred
seats between them.  The PC's were decimated, left with only two seats and
losing official party status; the NDP fared fairly poorly as well, with
only nine seats and losing official party status too.  Reform and BQ were
initiall tied for number of seats, but BQ managed to wangle a few more
seats through byelections, making them the Official Opposition; a party
whose only states goal was to remove Quebec from Canada.  (There was a
national Referendum on Quebec separation, which was against it by the
tiniest of margins--less than a percent.)  So now there was one big party,
two medium parties, and two tiny ones.

Now, last night, the Liberals have a bare majority--about three or four
seats over 50%.  The Reform have gained a bit, becoming the Official
Opposition, the BQ lost ground, and the PCs and NDPs regained party
status.  Now there are five official parties in Canada, which will make
Question Period more interesting and transcripts thicker.  Furthermore, the
Liberals are almost entirely centered in Ontario, the Reform in Western
Canada, the BQ in Quebec, and the PC's in the Maritimes; only the NDP are
really all that spread out.  So they're almost becoming regional parties.

If this keeps up, in a few years we'll be like Australia, with the
multi-party bloc governments, where the smallest party in the bloc can
sometimes have the biggest voice, because without them you don't have a
majority...

(I should add here that the Prime Minister is always the leader of the
party with the most number of seats; it's still Jean Chretien, in case you
were wondering.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Squeeze:853-5937
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
Pretend the needle thickens.  --lstewart

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:02:23 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-Gumball

> Today has a prime date greater than seven; therefore, I am chewing the
> Anti-Gumball.

Let me guess...forgot to put the greater-than sign in his auto-posting
program?  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Squeeze:853-5937
Current Book--Steven Brust:Five Hundred Years After
It's a cavenewt thing.  You wouldn't understand.  --pv

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:06:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Re: Acka: Still more silliness

Techno wrote:
>  If you distribute these as individual trinkets, and one is destroyed or   
> cashed in, players cannot be paid in ackapennies and therefore the player   
> would get A$1 due to rounding.  I see a major scam and a crash to the   
> acka economy if this happens.  Does anyone else see it this way?

> > >I am creating 100 trinkets called "Really Cheap Trinket N", where N is
> > >replaced by a number from 1 to 100, worth A$0.01 each (for a total of
> > >A$100).

Actually, there isn't a problem because the rules are worse than we thought
about preventing this sort of thing.

I have already sent out the proposal; I guess I should post my findings
during the writing of the proposal, now.

In the "III. Hard Currency" section of R505, there is a statement that
that rule (the whole rule, not just that paragraph) defers to rules
concerning the creation and destruction of trinkets.  However, the
"no ackapennies" ban is in that rule also, so "no ackapennies" never
takes effect when a trinket is created or destroyed.

To discourage creation of odd-sized trinkets, my proposal plans to destroy
all trinkets with fractional values when I fix the trinket rule to disallow
them, giving the A$ from them to the treasury.  Considering that the
A$1 groups of trinkets might not be entirely in the possession of one
player when the proposal takes effect, I didn't see any better way to do it.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #110
*******************************