Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #109
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, June 3 1997         Volume 02 : Number 109

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:23:29 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Red Barn's trinkets

Red Barn wrote:

> #trinket Red Barn: A$1: Nothing Tangible: No comment
> #tranfer Red Barn Buried: Nothing Tangible
> 
>   The map is the same.  Anyone who has a guess, please provide
> documentation: I don't believe the information is readily available at
> present. :)

For the potential prize of 1 A$, I'll probably be up all night working
on the documentation ;).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 19:08:05 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 394 (Alfvaen)

> CFJ 394 has been reassigned to Alfvaen.

With some misgivings, knowing that the fate of this cycle(and my own
chances of winning by points...:-)may rest on it, and at the very least the
fate of the Chartreus Goose, I accept this CFJ just because it's my very
first.  Its judgement will probably delay my first AckaPhysicist's report
even longer, but the Rules specify no time limit on the AP duties, so it
must wait.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Anne Murray:Danny's Song
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
EMERGENCY INFORMATION: How to breathe.  1.  Inhale.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 19:09:31 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 392 (CarsesraC)

Bascule wrote in his CFJ:
> Sorry to be so lame, but my elegant example got nuked. And I wasted
> A$331.

Oh, I assure you, it went to a good cause.  :-) With any luck, I'll
blow it all on one of the auctions or something.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Anne Murray:Danny's Song
Current Book--Lesley Choyce:Trapdoor To Heaven
Tenser, said the tensor...Tenser, said the tensor

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:30:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 392 (Antimatter)

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > Call For Judgment 392
> > Statement:
> > 
> > For Bascule to give A$10 to Alfvaen is equally legal and illegal.
> 
> > Bascule's Reasoning:
> > 
> > Bascule has two contracts binding his actions. The contracts demand
> > that he gives A$10 to Alfvaen, and that he does not give any A$
> > to Alfvaen. There is no means for deciding precedence between
> > contracts, and therefore the action of giving the A$ is equally legal
> > and illegal.
> 
> > From Rule 1995:"Once a player has signed a contract, that player must
> > obey any restrictions that that contract places on em"
> > 
> > The player _must obey_ any restrictions. This means that if I were to
> > give A$10 to Alfvaen, this would be legal according to the first
> > contract, but illegal according to the second. If I do not give any
> > A$ to Alfvaen, this is illegal according to the first contract, but
> > legal according to the second.
> 
> The contracts do not make anything legal.  All a contract does, by the
> fragment of R1995 (now R517) above, is make it illegal to do other than
> the contract stipulates.  The contract does not guarantee that the
> actions it requires will be legal.  By Bascule's reasoning, I could
> sign a contract that says "/dev/joe must take all A$ and PFbonds owned
> by any player or organization" and make it actually happen -- but the
> rule does not support this.  Signing a contract that can't be legally
> filled is just a way of forcing yourself to commit a crime.  Signing
> two contradictory contracts forces you to commit the specific (but
> unnamed) crime in the contracts rule.  (Which ought to be called "Breach
> of Contract" when the contract rule is patched up -- and as somebody
> commented, signing a contract which conflicts with an earlier contract
> you have already signed should be an impermissible action, and a crime,
> perhaps called Fraud.)
> 
> As far as what actually happens with Bascule's two contracts, the Crime
> rule tells us that an attempt to commit an "impermissible" action fails.
> Game custom holds (and in cases such as reporting information, must hold)
> that impermissible inaction can occur, however.  So regardless what Bascule
> attempts, the inaction of not giving Alfvaen any A$ will actually occur.
> Similarly, if the two contracts said Bascule must give some unique entity
> to two different players, he couldn't give it to anybody; the inaction,
> in violation of both contracts, would be the only *possible* action.
> 
> /dev/joe

This is much the same reasoning that I made in judging Bascule's earlier,
similar, and now non-existant CFJ.  It's also pretty much what Thinman
said way back when said CFJ was first released.  To sum up, contracts
can't make ANYTHING legal.  At most, they can place restrictions on you
that make it illegal to do something you normaly could ahve done.  In this
case, Bascuel's first contract does not make it legal for him to give A$10
Alfvaen, any such reasoning is absurd, because this has always been legal.
What it does is make it illegal for him NOT to give Alfvaen A$10.
Similarly, his second contract does not make it legal for him to not give
Alfvaen A$10, it was legal for him to not do this already.  What it does
is make it illegal for him to give Alfvaen money.  Not only should this
CFJ be judged false, but someone should probably submit a CFCJ against
Bascule, perhaps Alfvaen, since he seems to be the injured party. =)  I'd
also recommend that Bascule destroy one or both of the contracts, I think
it's legal for him to do so.  If he doesn't, one is faced with the
interesting fact that Bascule would be commiting a Crime all the time,
simply by being in the game, whether or not he gives Alfvaen any money.  I
don't know if the Crime rule is very well equiped to handel this or not,
and it certainly points out a serioud problem with conflicting
contracts...

                             - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:36:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stuff

Hello everyone.  This is, I think, the 82nd acka related message of the
day (not counting whatever is going out on Church and Chess related lists,
etc).  I am sure expert Malenkai is pleased.  I would also like to broach
the delicate topic of our vacationing President.  As I recall, Niccolo
encouraged us to appoint Mohammed, his would be opponent in the
Presidential elections, Acting president while he is gone.  I really liked
the sound of Mohammed's plan for the office, and I was wondering if we
could perhaps put Niccolo's suggestion into effect sometime soon...

                          - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:29:48 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Prayer for Deliverance 

>Gargling astronautically,
>"laki atino makini lorhocal"
>Is as much aerodynamical
>As astrobiologic. Is really.
>
>Calvin N Hobbes

Where have I read this before? :)

Mr. Nacho
evil soon to be impeached Registrar

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #109
*******************************