Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #90
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, May 20 1997         Volume 02 : Number 090

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:37:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic Digest V2 #87

>--Perhaps, but that depends onwhat the static rules were.  There exist
>several legal moves within the present ruleset that I personally believe
>cannot feasibly be automated.  What about the (not too hard to imagine)
>case of someone submitting a "Repeal rule xxx" proposal for each and
>every rule in the ruleset.  How many active proposals would it take to
>crash the Acrobot?  And if a Chromatic Repeal did crash the bot,

  BwaHaHa... (not seriously).  Hmm, obviously SOME number will crash any
bot.

>Mohammed would still be under the obligation to distribute the
>proposals, even if he found them unretrievable due to the bot's
>crashing.  If nomic is ever to be successfully automated, the code in
>the bot must be as fluid as the rules of the game itself.

  Which it can't be.  Actually, it perhaps can: see ie JavaNomic - but
that's not an English-language issue.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 11:10:34 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Miscellany

Niccolo Flychuck receives the Magic Potato this week.  two-star
receives the Great Tuba.

#transfer two-star, Niccolo Flychuck: Magic Potato: 5/19/97
#transfer Niccolo Flychuck, two-star: Great Tuba: 5/19/97

The Aliens chose the following Target Designation Numbers:

1221
397
1266

None of these is a rule, and only 397 is a prime.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:50:22 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe said.

As I was messing around with my titanite set of pentominos, I 
discovered that I could form a 8 by 8 square with a 2 by 2 square hole 
in it. Since I thought it would be more aesthetically pleasing if I 
could find something to cover the hole, I searched through my house 
until I found a red and blue matchbox, which I couldn't recall owning. 
When I slid the cover slightly off, it fit the hole perfectly. To my 
surprise, a shiny metallic speck hopped out of the open match box.
     "two-star--" it said.
     "Who--"
     "It's me, Phoebe. Listen carefully; I don't have much time to tell 
you this. You haven't been pulling your weight aroud here. You've 
submitted only one proposal in your entire existance in Ackanomia. If I 
had a choice I would tell what I have to say to someone more worthy. But 
I cannot control who finds me.
     "There is a place. Ockhamchatka. On the other side of a tunnel in 
the steel wall surrounding the world. You will find harf there beyond 
the wildest imaginings of man and flea alike."
     "How will I find it, Phoebe? The steel wall is much vaster that the 
Earth it surrounds. It could be anywhere!"
     "You have the key before you already," she said cryptically. "Now, 
be rid of me, so that the next person may find me." At this, she hopped 
back into her box. 
     "And these things," she gestured around her, "You should not keep 
these to yourself. These should be General Equipment."

     I went outside and threw Phoebe's matchbox into the air. A raven 
swooped down and caught it at the peak of its arc, and then flew away. 
As I looked up at the raven disappearing into the distance, I noticed 
the markings in the steel sky that I had never examined closely before. 
There, amid the random scratches, was my pentomino square, with a 
smaller square inside that appeared slightly darker. There, I knew, 
would be the tunnel to Ockhamchatka.
     I will need wings, I thought.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:00:04 -0800
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Acka: Taking care of business 

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Jerome Herrman
To:  devjoe
     [email-masked]'
Subject:  RE:  Acka: Taking care of business
Date: 1997-05-19 12:54
Priority: 3
Message ID: E13FE4F627D0D011937CA2AA1C24A000
Conversation ID: RE:  Acka: Taking care of business

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I returned to voting status last week when I posted the public message   
stating so.

Techno

Bumper Sticker: "Horn doesn't work; Watch for finger"

 -----Original Message-----
From: devjoe [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 1997 8:03 PM
Subject:  Acka: Taking care of business

According to my records, the following players are still non-voting
since the quorum failures (May 8):
  Techno, Calvin N Hobbes, Robert Sevin, CarsesraC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 21:16:42 +0200
From: Erikk Piper <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Two New Players (Guy Fawkes & Niccolo to ment)

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> So who are they?  Meet the newest voting player, Eris Discordia, real name
> Erikk Piper, who hails from [email-masked].  Now, examine closely the

It's actually [email-masked] (Brno being my
big-village-of-residence). I suppose I should send this correction to
the general forum, but I'm lazy and it's easiest just to send a reply
mail to, well, to you.

Hopefully in the big box of email addresses (or whatever Acka uses for
an email reference among players) my address is right.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:41:08 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Two New Players (Guy Fawkes & Niccolo to ment)

Eris Discordia wrote:

> Phil Ackley wrote:
> > 
> > So who are they?  Meet the newest voting player, Eris Discordia,
> real name
> > Erikk Piper, who hails from [email-masked].  Now, examine closely
> the
> 
> It's actually [email-masked] (Brno being my
> big-village-of-residence). I suppose I should send this correction to
> the general forum, but I'm lazy and it's easiest just to send a reply
> mail to, well, to you.
> 
> Hopefully in the big box of email addresses (or whatever Acka uses for
> an email reference among players) my address is right.
> 
Surprise!  You did send your message to the general forum.  This is
because the public (general) forum is handled by list-serving software
that is configured to set reply-to headers so that replies go back to
the list (usually).  That also means that your address is indeed
correct in the "big box" -- the list server -- because that is where
the message that you replied to came from.  To originate messages to
the public forum, direct them to [email-masked].  To
reply to such messages just use your mailer's reply function (as you
found out).  There are other details, but they are of less importance.
The Postmaster (/dev/joe, [email-masked]) and your mentor
(Guy Fawkes, I think, [email-masked]) can assist you with
using the list server if you need more help.

Welcome to Ackanomic!

ThinMan
Acting Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Two New Players (Guy Fawkes & Niccolo to ment)

>> So who are they?  Meet the newest voting player, Eris Discordia,
>> real name Erikk Piper, who hails from [email-masked].
> 
> It's actually [email-masked] (Brno being my
> big-village-of-residence). I suppose I should send this correction to
> the general forum, but I'm lazy and it's easiest just to send a reply
> mail to, well, to you.

snowgod's disease hearing ... new player ... must ... resist
... temptation ...

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 17:46:00 -0500
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Status Change 

I hereby change my status from Non-Voting Player to Voting Player.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:03:07 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Status Change 

At 1:46 PM -0900 5/19/97, Mitchell Harding wrote:
>I hereby change my status from Non-Voting Player to Voting Player.
>
>Robert Sevin

Bob, It is my considered opinion that you should once again volunteer to be
senator.  We like a man like you in the senate.

snowgod
or is it Mr. Nacho?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 21:28:18 CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  Welcome

begin crass commercial message:

"The management wishes to thank all new Players for registering with the
game of Ackanomic.  Please take a little time to check out the Acka
Voting list for the latest in Proposals up for votes.  It is your
obligation to vote on any and all Proposals as soon as possible after
registering.  This serves two functions:  it removes the "Pending"
status fromn your registration,  and awards Points to any holders of
Whamiols upon notification of your first votes.  For the sake of all
those Whamiol owners,  please vote early and often."

end shameless plug for points.

In all sincereity,  I would like to welcome the newest Players to the
world's largest nursery school.  While there has been some talk of
Acka's stogginess and lack of originality of late,  this is still the
most fun one can have without being accompanied by an adult or guardian.
 Good luck to you all,  and remember:

You gotta have Harf.

Habeus Corpus
not an expert in BWG but responsible for a LOT of it

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #90
******************************