Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #89
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Monday, May 19 1997         Volume 02 : Number 089

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 00:51:49 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Taking care of business 

I believe it is correct that Robert Sevin and Calvin N Hobbes are still
non-voting, as I don't recall seeing any messages at all from either since
the quorum business.  Seat rebus 8-() in the Senate is therefore vacated, as
is the Ackaphysicist's office.  Both are political offices (the latter by
default) and therefore are filled by nomination and election for office,
handled by the Speaker.  If either RS or CnH did return to Voting status by
May 15, then somebody better let me know PDQ.

I hereby announce a nomination for the open seat in the Senate (rebus 8-()).
The nomination lasts three days; eligible players interested in holding the
seat should notify me within that time.

I hereby announce a nomination for the office of Ackaphysicist.  The nomination
lasts three days; interested players should notify me within that time.  This
office is described by rule 1317.

ThinMan
Acting Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 00:06:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mediocrity

Since we have a new game, Mediocrity, and since I'm curious to see how
a game of it will actually turn out(and, also, I seem to have too much
time on my hands or something), I invite anyone who's interested in
playing to let me know before Wednesday(so all the people whose idea of
a good time is spending a long weekend _away_ from their computers can
still have a chance, with the possible exception of /dev/joe...:-), so
I can start an instance of the game.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Michael Breen:High And Low
Current Book--Liavek:Festival Week
You have no idea how difficult it is to be predictably subtle.  --plord

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 08:30:02 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Taking care of business

/dev/joe told us: 
> 3. Player States

> According to my records, the following players are still non-voting
> since the quorum failures (May 8):
>   Techno, Calvin N Hobbes, Robert Sevin, CarsesraC
> 
> If this is correct, Calvin N Hobbes has been removed from the office of
> AckaPhysicist and Robert Sevin has been removed from his senate seat
> as of May 15 (see R207, 254, 401).  However the offices are supposed
> to be filled, the process should get started, but please verify that
> I didn't miss one of them changing back to voting status.
I here by declare that I want to become a voting member again and 
also I want to be candate for the office of AckaPhysicist. 
Just in case there comes an election or something else.

In RL I have a degree in Aplied Physics so if the AckaPhysicist is 
has to do with Physics Im the most qualified. If it has to Medicine 
and sicknesses. I can only say that Im studing Viruses and that I 
think that Viruses are more important then players or other living cells.

BTW the earth is also a living organisme. The only problem with that 
it the biggest organisme that we know of and that its very old and at 
the same time is stills a kind. What I want to prove is that Acka is 
also like the earth and its also needs a medical care as well a 
examination by a trained technicians, engineers and scientists.     

CarsesraC
 
- --
Good news: I got a job !!!
My future company is Gentronics network services.

Jeroen M.W. van Dijk

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 08:30:02 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Taking care of business

> > 5. Score Report
> > [...]
> > -93     Malenkai             Vv  (Randy Hall)
> 
> Poor Malenkai! The player who has won by score more often than anyone
> might just set a record for the lowest Ackanomic score ever!

I think that we all can learn for Malenkai how got his score so low. 
I feel that a modification of the victory conditions is coming. 

Beware in the next months it could be possible to win if you have 
less then 10 A$ and your score is lower then -100. 

CarsesraC  
- --
Good news: I got a job !!!
My future company is Gentronics network services.

Jeroen M.W. van Dijk

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 00:23:05 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: Taking care of business 

>I believe it is correct that Robert Sevin and Calvin N Hobbes are still
>non-voting, as I don't recall seeing any messages at all from either since
>the quorum business.  Seat rebus 8-() in the Senate is therefore vacated, as
>is the Ackaphysicist's office.  Both are political offices (the latter by
>default) and therefore are filled by nomination and election for office,
>handled by the Speaker.  If either RS or CnH did return to Voting status by
>May 15, then somebody better let me know PDQ.

As registrar, I have also been keeping a list, and mnine coincides
perfectally with /dev/joe's.  CnH and Mr. Sevin ARE non voting.

snow...
to tired to sign his own name
always a best man and never a groom?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 12:22:20 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ooops.

The player previously known as snowgod is now called Mr. Nacho

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Matt Miller wrote:

> I approve of snowgod's joining MetaMorph.
> 
> IB
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 10:35:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: James Kirk Priz <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

#unsubscribe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 12:41:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: your mail

On Sun, 18 May 1997, James Kirk Priz wrote:

> #unsubscribe
> 
> 

Heh.

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 19:10:10 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Ack: Snowgod sickness 

To prevent spreading of sickness could the majordomo of wilma filter 
out any message does start with ack: or Ack: that are send to the 
acknomic maillists and redirect it to or the majordomo or to a single 
human that needs more mails and too many time. (Does anyone wants a 
new office >:-) ).

CarsesraC

The reason of this message is what an unknown observer wrote:

Reply-to:      [email-masked]
Date:          Sun, 18 May 1997 10:35:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:          James Kirk Priz <[email-masked]>
Reply-to:      James Kirk Priz <[email-masked]>
To:            

#unsubscribe

- --
Good news: I got a job !!!
My future company is Gentronics network services.

Jeroen M.W. van Dijk

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 15:02:03 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Even more of the "Acka: Status" thread 

At 03:37 PM 5/15/97 -0900, Mr. Nacho wrote:

>I'm gonna second Bascules second of my plea and add the following
>
>"When I joined Ackanomic it was young and fresh and fun, and the players
>weren't afraid of their own shadows.  Now, I spend more of my time in
>Rishonomic, which is young and fresh and fun, and the players (except for
>scot) are not yet afraid of their own shadows.  Ackanomic is now like Agora
>was when I first joined Acka, and I don't like that.  Rishonomic is now
>like Ackanomic was when I first joined it, and I like that.  I have thought
>about leaving (literally hanging by a tether) for the last month.  The only
>thing that has kept me here are all of my friends).  But god help us if in
>one year Ackanomic is like Agora is now, Rishon is like Acka is now, and
>Agora is some god foresaken place that even its current residents
>(unimaginative as they may be) cannot ever imagine."
>
>"So what I'm saying is we need to shape or ship out, I guess"

When I first joined Ackanomic, I did so because of its sense of humor - it
wasn't obsessed with covering EVERY single base of the ruleset, merely MOST
of them. At the same time, it had impressive, well-developed subgames and a
huge variety of activities that could be performed. But it was (as I grew to
realize) a basically MATURE Nomic - I was unable to "get in at the ground
floor" at that point. There was, for instance, no expectation that I could
alter the fundamental character of the game or anything of that nature. I
merely wanted to take part in a game of Nomic at that point, and I liked the
flavor of the ruleset - these weren't grown-ups; these were older kids, it
seemed. And of course, I love TMBG, so that was a big draw as well! ;v)

However, as time went on, I grew to realize that it was REALLY tough to
change the character of the game AT ALL. Voices immediately stuck out, and I
began to tell my friends about people like snowgod, Malenkai, IdiotBoy, and
Robert Sevin without actually having met them. My friends thought I was
completely insane. Many of them still do; that's irrelevant.

Anyway, I sought out Rishonomic because I wondered what it was like to get
in at the ground floor. The beauty of it is that a simple proposal (such as
the now-infamous "Sworn Enemies" proposal, which I WISH I had thought of; I
only added bits here, later on) can lead to an insane chain of events (such
as the Pledge of Allegiance clause and recent events that might be called
espionage) that can dramatically change the way the game is played. There
are rule lawyers in the Dyson Cylinder of Rishonomic, but they are few in
number. The fun there is seeing what direction you can take the game in -
not in what words you can alter in a rule to provide the most stability. At
the same time, there IS concern for stability - I can only speak for myself,
of course, but I feel that the pace of the game, though seemingly VERY
quick, is offset by the scrutiny which the many experienced Nomicians give
each proposal. Discussion is about Rishonomic, for the most part, without
the distractions of subgames and IRC (which I love anyway, regardless of my
failure to log on often). It's still a "pure" Nomic in the sense that its
fundamental character isn't set in stone yet.

I think Acka's is.

So, though I continue to play both, I spend ever less time reading my
Acka-mail and ever more time playing Rishonomic. I don't want to terminate
my Ackanomic membership altogether (especially now...hmm...), but I
nevertheless find it difficult to take my role here seriously. I am,
basically, an observer who can vote. If I had time and motivation, I'd take
a larger role (big deal, right?). But for now, I remain quite simply Al the
Glorified Observer, who loves Acka even as he fears for its future. There
has to come a time, I suppose, when one's position in things needs strongly
to be reconsidered. Perhaps Acka's moment is coming. I can only be certain
of one thing - I'm having a BLAST fooling around in Rishonomic...

Yours Truly,
You can call me Al

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 01:04:48 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Not Quite Registrarness 

Hey there!  Tommorow, I shall introduce to you two new players.  WOuld do
it tonight, but I am so dog tired that who knows what lists who woyuld end
up on (and not just the new players :) so I shall wait.  Wanted to say
something about it though, because there are a couple of observers who (I
imagine) are anxiously awaiting my message.

snowgod
glad its over

Oh yeah, my new truck just broke down.  Typical.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 14:47:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Two New Players (Guy Fawkes & Niccolo to ment) 

We have two new players in Ackanomic.  Please give them each a big round of
applauase as I introduce them to you.  Remember, no obnoxious burping
noises while the registrar is speaking.

So who are they?  Meet the newest voting player, Eris Discordia, real name
Erikk Piper, who hails from [email-masked].  Now, examine closely the
structure of the previous sentence.  Eris writes, in answer to market
research question:

>Cocky Answer: through a flyer I found under my doormat
>Straight Answer: Either directly through a list in a description under
>Ron Hale-Evan's info-closet web page, or through a link a jump or two
>away.

And now meet our newest (temporarily) non-voting player, Joon, real name
Liasa Griffith, who hails from [email-masked].  In answer to the
market research question, Joon writes:

>3.  I found the game in a round about sort of way.  I've been in grad
>school and not on the internet for awhile and suddenly got the urge to try
>to contact some of my old on-line friends.  I did a search for IdiotBoy on
>Infoseek and was directed to Ackanomic.  I read about the game on the
>web page and though, heck, why not give it a try, it looks interesting.

Let's welcome them both to Ackanomic!!!

Mr. snowNacho

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 17:38:59 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Influx

Hmmm...with all these new players joining(including me, of course, and
welcome to all the rest of you), I wouldn't be at all surprised if our
non-voting-by-choice Habeous Corpus, with his two Whamiols, ends up winning
this cycle by points.  Is anyone else worried by this?  :-)

Hmmm...are there any PFHabeous Corpus for sale?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Current Album--Nightnoise:The Parting Tide
Current Book--Liavek:Festival Week
Uneasy lies the head that wears the clown.  --Scott Ellis

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 19:49:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ooops.

Growl.. ok, I would like to permit Mr. Nacho to join MetaMorph

IB
losing his mind

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> The player previously known as snowgod is now called Mr. Nacho
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> On Sat, 17 May 1997, Matt Miller wrote:
> 
> > I approve of snowgod's joining MetaMorph.
> > 
> > IB
> > 
> > ------------------------------
> > 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 18:52:07 CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:  Treasure

OOOOOOOPS!!!

I  just realized that I am overdue for posting the map to the buried wouf
houng.  I thought I had already sent it,  but when I checked my sent
mail,  it wasn't there.  
Unfortunately,  when I checked my archive of the map,  something strange
had happened to it.   Something converted it from the plain text it
coinsisted of to numerical gibberish,  or at least it seems like it to
me.  

Oh,  well,  here it is for anyone to make of it what they will:

1200002022001020020102000212201102010020121011202010221211121220120100201002212000020221010200002012010201210102120201020002200102010211121122010211121010210121011220000211120102010211120102201102002101021200120102022000200002111201122002102202112120000202010220122011020102111201102111200020120100221112010201210102101201210211121120021010220002001210002110201211202200020000201002010022001020021021002212000020220112111200120010220000211120012102110221200002022110211120012001022000021112001210211022112012101122100020220102021002020211202100220010211120102120000202201020211201200210210020201022111200100220110200102000020121000202001200022002102200002101020002201102111200020002020002000200211121022

Good luck,

Habeus Corpus

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #89
******************************