Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #77
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Wednesday, May 7 1997        Volume 02 : Number 077

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 23:10:21 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure Found--Again

Is it just me(I have no other experience to base this on, of course), or
are there a lot of treasures being found right now?  (No voting for a week
and everyone has to find something else to do?  :-)

Anyway, Breadbox has already fulfilled the requirements of Treasure 146, by
identifying two taglines I didn't have any attributions for, and providing
me online references for same.  The quotes he identified are:

I have nothing to say, and I am saying it (John Cage)
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts. (Tom Potter)

By my specifications, these are worth two points each(since I didn't
know the attributions myself), over the minimum of three total, and
thus breadbox wins the Manx Cat.

I'd like to start this up again(because I am curious how many of the
references you folks out there will recognize), but would rather not create
yet another Trinket just yet.  So if anyone has a Trinket that they think
would make an appropriate treasure(something over A$10, preferably, to make
it worthwhile, especially since the Manx Cat was A$30), send me an email.
I will pay 10% above value for whichever trinket I accept.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Love & Rockets:It Could Be Sunshine
Current Book--Pat Cadigan:Fools
You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 22:49:18 -0700
From: **Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: yet another treasure

Greetings, Acka!
No, I did not turn the computer off and on. By clicks I refered to mouse 
clicks. This is, in fact, a real problem, and it is kinda annoying, 
though easily "fixable." To clarify, whenever I am in a circumstnce 
where the computer crashes easily, I can apply the fix and it works, 
even if it was crashing only because I had applied the fix earlier. 
This post contains a clue or two.
**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:53:38 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Presidential 

Umm, being the ambiguous president and all, I feel it is my duty to do
something presidential... something fun.  I want to purchase an earth
defense laser, yeah, thats it.  Anyone want to donate a few bucks to the
cause?  I'll purchase the defensive systems on the rule specifified by the
biggest philanthropist

snowgod
president
sorta

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:49:13 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Player 

We have a new player in Ackanomic.  His real name is Phil Bordelon and his
Ackanomic name is Sunflare.  His email address is [email-masked].  Some of
you may recognize him as our very newest observer.  He's a wild and crazy
guy.

In response to the market research question, he writes:
>

snowgod
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:59:38 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player 

>We have a new player in Ackanomic.  His real name is Phil Bordelon and his
>Ackanomic name is Sunflare.  His email address is [email-masked].  Some of
>you may recognize him as our very newest observer.  He's a wild and crazy
>guy.
>
>In response to the market research question, he writes:
>>
>
>snowgod
>Registrar

Oh yeah, One more thing... mr cwm has been selected by my not too random
random selector as his mentor

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 23:16:39 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acla: Bot 

Hey: Cool error message.

>Acrobot error: access conflict
>
>I cannot get an access lock on the bot files. This is most likely a result
>of the bot going down for maintenance. The existing
>lock is relatively old (since Mon Apr 28 13:19:58 1997).

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:18:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Presidential

This latest abduction has given me great fear of the aliens.  I hereby
give A$100 to snowgod to buy an Earth Defense Laser or buy frinks for the
assembled masses, whichever he sees fit.

IB

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Umm, being the ambiguous president and all, I feel it is my duty to do
> something presidential... something fun.  I want to purchase an earth
> defense laser, yeah, thats it.  Anyone want to donate a few bucks to the
> cause?  I'll purchase the defensive systems on the rule specifified by the
> biggest philanthropist
> 
> snowgod
> president
> sorta
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:34:07 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Treasure

Idiotboy wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 1997, Ross Morgan-Linial wrote:
> 
> > Okay, how'd you find it *that* quickly? (Or shouldn't I ask?)
> 
> My guess has three words:
> python, python, python.
> 
I haven't played Nethack more than a few times in my life, but I
looked at the map message and realized that I could partly read it
straight off.  I figured out the whole thing in five or ten minutes,
by hand, but /dev/joe got a chance to look at it before I did.  It
was not even a cipher -- just an obfuscation.  A few letters exchanged
for other letters, a few blanked out, and the rest left as they were.

So, to make a long story short, I doubt that /dev/joe needed a Python
program to figure it out.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:46:59 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Presidential

snowgod wrote:

> Umm, being the ambiguous president and all, I feel it is my duty to do
> something presidential... something fun.  I want to purchase an earth
> defense laser, yeah, thats it.  Anyone want to donate a few bucks to
> the
> cause?  I'll purchase the defensive systems on the rule specifified by
> the
> biggest philanthropist
> 
I believe it's an Earth Defense _Missile_, but I'll donate some cash
nonetheless.  Put me down for A$75.  And I request that the missile be
built to defend R102.

ThinMan
Philanthropist

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:49:02 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Presidential

> I believe it's an Earth Defense _Missile_, but I'll donate some cash
> nonetheless.  Put me down for A$75.  And I request that the missile be
> built to defend R102.
> 
That's

ThinMan -75: Missile contribution
snowgod +75: Missile contribution

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:53:24 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Presidential

One of these days I'll get this right:

> ThinMan -75: Missile contribution
> snowgod +75: Missile contribution
> 
#transfer ThinMan, snowgod: 75 A$: 5/6/97, Missile Contribution

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:41:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> > > Okay, how'd you find it *that* quickly? (Or shouldn't I ask?)
> > 
> > My guess has three words:
> > python, python, python.

> I haven't played Nethack more than a few times in my life, but I
> looked at the map message and realized that I could partly read it
> straight off.  I figured out the whole thing in five or ten minutes,
> by hand, but /dev/joe got a chance to look at it before I did.  It
> was not even a cipher -- just an obfuscation.  A few letters exchanged
> for other letters, a few blanked out, and the rest left as they were.

Not only that, but the exchanged letters are done in the same way that
the current version of nethack does it -- it makes replacements with
letters that could represent "rubbed out" versions of other letters.
I.e., an o could be a rubbed out b, d, or p; a c could be an e or o; an
r could be a rubbed out n or h; a v could be a rubbed out y.  A blank
space could be an actual blank space or any character.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:47:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

> I haven't played Nethack more than a few times in my life, but I
> looked at the map message and realized that I could partly read it
> straight off.  I figured out the whole thing in five or ten minutes,
> by hand, but /dev/joe got a chance to look at it before I did.  It
> was not even a cipher -- just an obfuscation.  A few letters exchanged
> for other letters, a few blanked out, and the rest left as they were.

And anyone who had played nethack for a long time would have known
something about nethack's particular "substitution" scheme, for when
inscriptions on the floor get messed up.  An 'e' will become a 'c', for
instance, by losing a few of its strokes.  I imagine an 'R' could become a
'P'.  All the substitutions use letters that are sort of like the letter
being replaced, if a few strokes were removed.

> So, to make a long story short, I doubt that /dev/joe needed a Python
> program to figure it out.

Once I knew what I was looking for, I could puzzle it out myself.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Maggie Reilly:Everytime We Touch
Current Book--Pat Cadigan:Fools
Your love is like greasy fried noodles...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 10:55:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > > > Okay, how'd you find it *that* quickly? (Or shouldn't I ask?)
> > > 
> > > My guess has three words:
> > > python, python, python.
> 
> > I haven't played Nethack more than a few times in my life, but I
> > looked at the map message and realized that I could partly read it
> > straight off.  I figured out the whole thing in five or ten minutes,
> > by hand, but /dev/joe got a chance to look at it before I did.  It
> > was not even a cipher -- just an obfuscation.  A few letters exchanged
> > for other letters, a few blanked out, and the rest left as they were.
> 
> Not only that, but the exchanged letters are done in the same way that
> the current version of nethack does it -- it makes replacements with
> letters that could represent "rubbed out" versions of other letters.
> I.e., an o could be a rubbed out b, d, or p; a c could be an e or o; an
> r could be a rubbed out n or h; a v could be a rubbed out y.  A blank
> space could be an actual blank space or any character.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

Wait a minute.  If we say it wasn't a python program, do I have to admit
that /dev/joe has some skills and or talent?  

IB
making no such admissions ;)
able to read it mostly, as well.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:54:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acla: Bot

Acla?  Oh my god, I've crossed over into the alternate world of Aclanomic!
I knew I should have been more careful when setting my alarm clock last
night.  (Trust me to get a model with the frame-shifting feature, but no
instructions on how to use it...)

> Hey: Cool error message.
> 
> >Acrobot error: access conflict
> >
> >I cannot get an access lock on the bot files. This is most likely a result
> >of the bot going down for maintenance. The existing
> >lock is relatively old (since Mon Apr 28 13:19:58 1997).

So what precisely as Acrobot and its function?  I gather that it's supposed
to somewhat automate the Promoter's job, accepting proposal requests and
recording votes...but since it seems to be down, is it possible to do these
things the old-fashioned way as well?  (And what did happen to the time
limit on the proposals that were in the queue last Monday--were they
extended a week, or did they all come due yesterday?)  Acrobot won't even
give me a password...:-(

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Pursuit of Happiness:Food
Current Book--Pat Cadigan:Fools
Piece of dirt, that is all I'm standing on today

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 10:05:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Financial stuff

I calculated some salaries that were given out yesterday.
Note that Malenkai went on vacation after the salaries were given out.

May 05 12:00 EDT: +35 A$ Malenkai: salary - speaker 35
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ /dev/joe: salary - web-harfer 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ /dev/joe: salary - postmaster 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Mohammed: salary - promoter 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Mohammed: salary - tabulator 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ snowgod: salary - registrar 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ /dev/joe: salary - scorekeeper 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Mohammed: salary - financier 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Malenkai: salary - clerk of the court 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Malenkai: salary - count tabula 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ Niccolo Flychuck: salary - chess-umpire 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ mr cwm: salary - CSRR 25
May 05 12:00 EDT: +25 A$ /dev/joe: salary - map-harfer 25

#award Malenkai: 85 A$: salary
#award /dev/joe: 100 A$: salary
#award snowgod: 25 A$: salary
#award Mohammed: 75 A$: salary
#award Niccolo Flychuck: 25 A$: salary
#award mr cwm: 25 A$: salary

Bond-harfer, Entity-harfer, Undead-harfer, Trinket-harfer are still vacant,
due to what is probably a massive violation of speed on somebody's part.
Once again, I volunteer for all these positions.

Based on the above, Sunflare's starting cash is A$888 (21306/24).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:16:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acla: Bot

>Hey: Cool error message.
>
>>Acrobot error: access conflict
>>
>>I cannot get an access lock on the bot files. This is most likely a result
>>of the bot going down for maintenance. The existing
>>lock is relatively old (since Mon Apr 28 13:19:58 1997).
>
>snowgod

  I get that, too.

- -Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:19:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial stuff

> Bond-harfer, Entity-harfer, Undead-harfer, Trinket-harfer are still vacant,
> due to what is probably a massive violation of speed on somebody's part.
> Once again, I volunteer for all these positions.

According to the PE page, at least, you _are_ listed as Bond-harfer.  I'm
still not quite sure if my Pending status would allow me to do so, but if
it does, I would like to volunteer for the Entity-harfer and Trinket-harfer
my own self.  (If this is some kind of semi-official thing, there are
proposals coming due in the next three days that I can be publicly known to
have voted on and thus become fully Active, I'll make this more definite.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--The Pursuit of Happiness:Food
Current Book--Storm Constantine:The Monstrous Regiment
After the flood, all that was left was a small genetic pool.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:35:29 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Treasure

IdiotBoy wrote:

> Wait a minute.  If we say it wasn't a python program, do I have to
> admit
> that /dev/joe has some skills and or talent?  
> 
Not at all.  Go get an introductory psychology text, and look up
"denial."

:)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 07:36:06 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial stuff 

>Bond-harfer, Entity-harfer, Undead-harfer, Trinket-harfer are still vacant,
>due to what is probably a massive violation of speed on somebody's part.
>Once again, I volunteer for all these positions.

Last time I read the rules, it was the financiers job to appoint these
people.  If it's changed, and it is now my job, I appoint /dev/joe to all
these positions.

snowgod
kill them all and let /dev sort them out

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:58:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial stuff

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >Bond-harfer, Entity-harfer, Undead-harfer, Trinket-harfer are still vacant,
> >due to what is probably a massive violation of speed on somebody's part.
> >Once again, I volunteer for all these positions.
> 
> Last time I read the rules, it was the financiers job to appoint these
> people.  If it's changed, and it is now my job, I appoint /dev/joe to all
> these positions.

The Overseer Rule (number 400) is particularly clear on this issue:
1) Until such time as someone volunteers for an Overseer office, no one 
holds it, nor are any actions taken to fill it.

2) Upon anyone volunteering to fill the office, an election immediately 
begins.  (Bad mechanism, IMO, but it's the way the rule is written.)  The 
election endures for three days.  During this time, anyone else may 
volunteer for the office as well, and people send their votes to the 
appropriate officer (at this time, that would be whoever is Acting Count 
Tabula).

3) At the end of the three day election, whoever has the most votes 
wins.  (Ties are broken randomly by default).

There has been no violation of Speed on anyone's part (not in the 
overseer matter, anyway.)  The offices are not required to be occupied, 
nor is any officer required to take any action to rectify their vacancy.

For good form, at least, it would be a good idea for the Acting Count 
Tabula to announce these elections, listing the volunteers so far.  I 
believe one of the newer players has volunteered to harf trinkets and 
entities in addition to /dev's volunteering.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:08:11 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Financial stuff

Guy Fawkes wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 1997, Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> > >Bond-harfer, Entity-harfer, Undead-harfer, Trinket-harfer are still
> vacant,
> > >due to what is probably a massive violation of speed on somebody's
> part.
> > >Once again, I volunteer for all these positions.
> > 
> > Last time I read the rules, it was the financiers job to appoint
> these
> > people.  If it's changed, and it is now my job, I appoint /dev/joe
> to all
> > these positions.
> 
> The Overseer Rule (number 400) is particularly clear on this issue:
> 1) Until such time as someone volunteers for an Overseer office, no
> one 
> holds it, nor are any actions taken to fill it.
> 
> 2) Upon anyone volunteering to fill the office, an election
> immediately 
> begins.  (Bad mechanism, IMO, but it's the way the rule is written.)
> The 
> election endures for three days.  During this time, anyone else may 
> volunteer for the office as well, and people send their votes to the 
> appropriate officer (at this time, that would be whoever is Acting
> Count 
> Tabula).
> 
> 3) At the end of the three day election, whoever has the most votes 
> wins.  (Ties are broken randomly by default).
> 
> There has been no violation of Speed on anyone's part (not in the 
> overseer matter, anyway.)  The offices are not required to be
> occupied, 
> nor is any officer required to take any action to rectify their
> vacancy.
> 
> For good form, at least, it would be a good idea for the Acting Count 
> Tabula to announce these elections, listing the volunteers so far.  I 
> believe one of the newer players has volunteered to harf trinkets and 
> entities in addition to /dev's volunteering.
> 
Oops.  Alright, I don't know how I read rule 400 so many times without
seeing the election bit, but it is there.  So we can fill the offices,
and /dev/joe may indeed be Trinket-Harfer.  Most of the effects that I
described in my last message, however, were because of the absence of
an Entity-Harfer, and I think those still hold.  I agree with GF about
the election mechanism specified by R400, although I don't think that
the details are indisputable.

I will not be announcing nominations, nor submitting a CFJ, after all.
We are still, however, in a minor crisis.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 12:58:57 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Financial stuff

snowgod wrote:

> >Bond-harfer, Entity-harfer, Undead-harfer, Trinket-harfer are still
> vacant,
> >due to what is probably a massive violation of speed on somebody's
> part.
> >Once again, I volunteer for all these positions.
> 
> Last time I read the rules, it was the financiers job to appoint these
> people.  If it's changed, and it is now my job, I appoint /dev/joe to
> all
> these positions.
> 
I was just looking at that very question, and I think that the
situation is a little worse than that.  The Financier used to be able
to appoint assistants, who sometimes served the same functions as the
overseers are supposed to do, but that is no longer the case.

The reason for the confusion appears to be that it isn't _anyone's_
responsability to select overseers.  They report to the Financier, but
the Financier is not empowered to appoint them.  Moreover, the rules
are written in officer terminology, but overseers are not directly
specified to be officers, so the normal officer selection rules may not
apply. For any player to go from not being an overseer to being one
would be a change of the game state, and therefore not permitted except
as specified by the rules.

I will shortly be submitting a CFJ to decide whether overseers are, in
fact, officers.  If they are, then they are Political Officers, to be
selected by nomination and election.  The case for overseers being
officers at all is weak.  Whether they are or aren't officers, none of
the positions is currently filled, because there have been no elections
for them, and there is no other possible means by which they could be
filled.

And here's the kicker, from rule 412: "If any overseer position is left
unfilled, no action that would be overseen by that officer can take
place until there is someone in that position."  We only have to worry
about the last two weeks because anything that we did wrong before then
is beyond the statute of limitations, but any change in the entities
haunted by any undead; any bond sales or transfers; any trinket
creation, destruction, or transfer; and any transfer of any entity into
or out of the Treasury that supposedly occured withing the last two
weeks did not, in fact, occur at all.*  I note that among the entity
transfers that were attempted within the last two weeks was one from
Malenkai to the Museum which would have caused him to win the cycle if
it had occured.  I am not particularly happy with revoking wins, in
part because of all the work involved but also because its just not
any fun.  Nevertheless, we must follow the rules.

*Exceptions -- because of precedence, the following still occured,
where applicable: Supreme Court tardiness penalties were still
assessed, Mentors were still payed, any new undead correctly began
haunting the appropriate entities, any Tammany bribes were actually
paid, and any salaries were paid.  There may be other exceptions that
I have not yet discovered.

I will be announcing nominations for the overseer positions, in case
they are found to in fact be officers.  This will constitute a thread
split.

ThinMan
Acting Speaker
starting to hope that Malenkai comes back soon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:36:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial stuff

ThinMan wrote:
> Guy Fawkes wrote:
> > The Overseer Rule (number 400) is particularly clear on this issue:
> > 1) Until such time as someone volunteers for an Overseer office, no
> > one holds it, nor are any actions taken to fill it.
> > 
> > 2) Upon anyone volunteering to fill the office, an election immediately 
> > begins.  (Bad mechanism, IMO, but it's the way the rule is written.)
> > The election endures for three days.  During this time, anyone else may 
> > volunteer for the office as well, and people send their votes to the 
> > appropriate officer (at this time, that would be whoever is Acting
> > Count Tabula).
> > 
> > 3) At the end of the three day election, whoever has the most votes 
> > wins.  (Ties are broken randomly by default).

> Oops.  Alright, I don't know how I read rule 400 so many times without
> seeing the election bit, but it is there.  So we can fill the offices,
> and /dev/joe may indeed be Trinket-Harfer.  Most of the effects that I
> described in my last message, however, were because of the absence of
> an Entity-Harfer, and I think those still hold.  I agree with GF about
> the election mechanism specified by R400, although I don't think that
> the details are indisputable.

However, I volunteered for those harfer jobs way back on April 10th.
If the election occurs automatically, then I became Bond-Harfer, etc.,
on April 13th, regardless of the voting (even with 0 votes cast), since
nobody else volunteered.

Here is my message where I volunteered for bond harfer, entity harfer,
and undead harfer.  I volunteered for trinket harfer some time later
after CnH didn't volunteer, but I can't seem to find it right at the
moment.  (It's more than 2 weeks ago in any case).

> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:49:17 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
> Subject: Re: Acka: Bond-Harfer
> 
> > The nomination period for Bond-Harfer is over.  Someone may or may not have
> > volunteered, but it happened while I was in the gaol, so I don't think the
> > thing was legal.  Sinvce no one volunteered I guess I am acting
> > bond-harfer.  I would really appreciate it if someone would step up and
> > take this job.  It's not one I can handle.
> 
> I volunteer to be bond-harfer, at least until Mohammed gets a system together
> to do it.  I volunteer for all those other harfers too, except trinket harfer.
> Calvin N Hobbes asked me about doing some of this work, and I suggested that
> he could help most by keeping the trinket description page when Malenkai
> is gone.
> 
> /dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 12:44:24 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfer Crisis

As the one who seems to have brought this problem to everyone's attention,
I must say that I find the whole thing immensely gratifying.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Maggie Reilly:Everytime We Touch
Current Book--Storm Constantine:The Monstrous Regiment
I don't see you so don't pretend to be there.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 15:09:56 -0500
From: Sunflare <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> We have a new player in Ackanomic.  His real name is Phil Bordelon and his
> Ackanomic name is Sunflare.  His email address is [email-masked].  Some of
> you may recognize him as our very newest observer.  He's a wild and crazy
> guy.

Wow.  You figured this out already? :-)
 
> In response to the market research question, he writes:
> >

If I knew the question, I probably would have answered it differently.
:P
 
> snowgod
> Registrar

Sunflare
Clueless Newbie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 15:14:50 -0500
From: Sunflare <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial stuff

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> Based on the above, Sunflare's starting cash is A$888 (21306/24).
> 
> /dev/joe

I have to say that I find it appropriate that my starting cash is
only two "orders of magnitude" away from The Devil's Number, if only
because I'm two "orders of magnitude" away from sanity.

Possibly more.

Sunflare

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:00:40 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Financial stuff

/dev/joe wrote:
> However, I volunteered for those harfer jobs way back on April 10th.
> If the election occurs automatically, then I became Bond-Harfer, etc.,
> on April 13th, regardless of the voting (even with 0 votes cast),
> since
> nobody else volunteered.
> 
I think that is good enough for me.  As of April 13th, /dev/joe was
Bond Harfer, Entity Harfer, and Undead Harfer.  Some time later, he
became Trinket Harfer.  The problem, then, is that some of the web
pages (not necessarilly those maintained by /dev/joe) do not relfect
the true state of affairs.  There _were_ about two weeks between the
passage of the "Overseer" rules and the filling of those offices
during which Trinkets _shouldn't_ have been able to be created or
traded, etc. but it was not pointed out for more than two weeks, and
violations are therefore considered to have been legal anyway.

ThinMan
breathing a sigh of relief

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #77
******************************