Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #73
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest          Sunday, May 4 1997          Volume 02 : Number 073

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

Habeous Corpus, it will be good to have you back, even in a non-Voting
capacity. And it will be fun to see how well the non-Voting Player
stuff actually works.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:05:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Prayer 

Rehermetical sealed
is what the package read
when I opened it
and the discovered inside this prayer

"quasiopinionated players spout
off beliefs and opinions about things
when indeed, they know nothing.

"atrioventricular bundles
warm my heart and my soul
and the rain gods will sweep
you home away no more

"Ghrungi Gruhngi humus pir
Feron meron delam murrr
Amen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:14:47 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: House, Trinket and Treasure 

>What book is the name Tamson House from?  The first player to correctly
>identify the book's title and author in a public message(or private message
>to me)will receive the Inky Bloater.

Charles de Lint is the author... Give me a minute on the book. It's, it's it'
s coming to me.  It's, umm, umm, oh shit.  I don't know

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:17:31 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Registrarness 

NOW HEAR THIS! NOW HEAR THIS!

We have a returning (none-voting) player in Ackanomic.  His name is Habeous
Corpus and his email address is [email-masked].  His real name is Ed Graham
and he has two whamiols.

That it all.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:20:18 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel 

>Habeous Corpus, it will be good to have you back, even in a non-Voting
>capacity. And it will be fun to see how well the non-Voting Player
>stuff actually works.
>
>breadbox

Yeah,,, Habeous Corpus... Non-voting player and guneau pig extrodanaire.

snowgod
bandwidth waster, and not ashamed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 08:36:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses discussion

CarsesraC wrote:
 
> Buy the PFCarser at a sheap price of A$1.00 a piece

I offer the following trade:

#transfer Malenkai,CarsesraC : 40 A$ : bond trade
#transfer CarsesraC,Malnekai : 40 PFCarser : bond trade

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 10:10:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Ed  Graham wrote:

> With the conclusion of my humiliation  at Robert Sevin's capable hands, 
> I also woiuld like to announce that I have petitioned the Registrar to
> become registered as Ackia's first Non-Voting Player.  Since I am
> currently enroute to my sister's in Dayton,  Ohio to attend a Ham radio
> convention,  I may be a little sporadic in staying in touch ,  but I
> promise to check every couple of days and I will not be going on
> Vacation.  (Seeing as I recently retired,  the term Vacation is a little
> silly for me anyway.)
> 

Wow, this is the second time in two days someone in Acka has told me about
a Dayton connections. Perhaps everyone should come here and visit.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 11:23:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Godfather

In accordance with rule 1060, I am publically stating that I am
the Godfather.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 08:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Trinket, New Treasure

I am creating a trinket, worth A$50, called Hubert Feathers. Hubert
Feathers are small, soft down from an unknown bird. They are said to
bless their owner with good timing, and it is believed that whoever
possesses them is most likely to win a contest of speed.

#trinket breadbox: Hubert Feathers : 50 : May 3 0900

I am also burying the Hubert Feathers.

#transfer breadbox, Buried : Hubert Feathers : May 3 0900

Now that I've gotten that red tape out of the way, I can reveal to you
the truth....

I myself did not really create, or bury, the Hubert Feathers. They
were hidden by pirates somewhere in Ackanomia, in the long-ago days
before we came to this place. In my research I learned of their
existence, but have been unable to discover how to find them. By
making them into a trinket, I hope to realize their existence in
modern Ackanomia, and make them accessible as a Buried Treasure.

Below is the only information I have. It is a portion of a newspaper
article (found on the back of a coupon that somebody had clipped out
and never used).

"Cavegoers located old sandstone engravings buried under the naturally
ossified calcium. In graphics, a remarkable narrative is depicted
thereon: a fragmented narrative, more precisely, as the engravings
were unearthed in a dozen potsherds. One whole image depicts groups of
soldiers standing before their chief, who is selecting the third
soldier in each group to form an army. A few of the fragments contain
writing of a curious yet tantalizing nature. The following is what has
been recovered from these pieces: 'Task the Tenth: at midnight in
summer stand waiting by a hollowed-out pool, a sober person at the
deasil, and imbibe a spoonful of a mixture of a powder of dried bat
ichor in a dram of basic Sauvignon Cabernet, in a bejewelled -- one
maculated cattle mooing an offering, with ashes of a tree. -- 131 East
Interlake Street, a messy apartment in back of an otherwise neat
hole-in-a-wall. The concierge is a degreed anesthesiologist. -- Cast
an arm; crack a log; smite an uncle; saw a frog. Be as apropos as it
is in Ys. Be as redditive as it is in Ys. Be as inspired as it is in
Ys.' The archaeologists were unwilling to comment on the significance
of the inscriptions at press time."

Strangely enough, my research indicates that somehow this article
explains how the Hubert Feathers may be uncovered. I've stared at it
until I'm blind, and found nothing. I now throw it out to all of
you. Whoever can figure this puzzle out may claim the Hubert Feathers,
and whatever special properties they may or may not bestow, as their
own.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 13:34:08 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure 132 found

breadbox (has this name change been legally acked) had found 
Treasure 132, the one with Strider's Presidental Vision, and 6
processing chips.

The primary clue was:

ceremoniously spake in tongues the golden frog (to me via the Amulet): 

"dk jqigkvcdcv jgogbqtvbk jqigkvcdquv bqtvbk jqigkvcdcv dk dquv
jgogbqtvbk jqigk ugk dquv dcv jqigk bqtvbk dquv jgogbqtvbk jgogtgvbk"

unmiraculously treasure of processing chips shall you find
unless misdirectionally led you have been 

The map was:

The first player to bury, as a treasure, or as part of a treasure,
an entity called Hubert Feathers shall find this treasure.

#transfer Treasure 132,breadbox : Strider's Presidental Vision, 6 PCs

I guess game custom indicates that breadbox should indicate how he
did it.

Malenkai
dealing with proximity to smoke

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 09:48:04 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Wandering 

I am leaving snowgod's beach cottage and taking a stroll around Ackanomic,
for only by wandering and taking in the sights myself, can I see just how
stagnated we have become.

I go to the hall of elders and look upon my friend tinan, a player who knew
how to have fun.  I think I hear him whispering something to me, but I'm
not sure; the rules don't allow for whispering elders.

I go to the meuseum and look upon an old ruleset, that of a young carefree
nomic, a nomic that reached the peak of its glory in August of 1996, or iif
you prefer, month 8 in year 1 of our nomic.

I go to every single players house and knock on their doors, then run away.

I go to the Cow Town Hotel and gaze upon it, because I figure the way
ackanomic is now days, it will soon be gone,m and the cow will be a friend
to me no longer (note that as Gaoler, I am just visitng the hotel (not
staying there))

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 09:50:04 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure 132 found 

>breadbox (has this name change been legally acked) had found
>Treasure 132, the one with Strider's Presidental Vision, and 6
>processing chips.

Yes, his name was acked.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 10:06:42 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New internomic SFJ 

There is a new internomic SFJ, number 7.  It was called by Ackanomic.
Thring has been selected to judge. I will forward any appropriate comments
to the internomic list, or you may do so yourself.  Internomic is
[email-masked].

snowgod
Ambassador

>
>SFJ 7
>Initiator: Ackanomic
>Judge: Thring
>
>Statement:
>
>Once it has cast it's vote, a nomic may not change them.
>
>Reasoning:
>
>On May 3, 1997, Henry Townser, liason from MicroNomic II, posted the
>following message to [email-masked], in an attempt to
>change the votes of his nomic, which had been previously cast by the old
>liason, Pascal.
>
>>Received: from denmark.it.earthlink.net (denmark-c.it.earthlink.net
>>[204.119.177.22]) by calvino.alaska.net (8.8.0/8.7.3) with ESMTP
>>	id KAA28611 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 3 May 1997 10:02:11
>>-0800 (AKDT)
>>Received: from 153.35.71.212 (Cust84.Max5.Boston.MA.MS.UU.NET
>>[153.35.71.212])
>>	by denmark.it.earthlink.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id LAA25384
>>	for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 3 May 1997 11:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
>>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>>Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 14:11:24 -0500
>>From: Henry Towsner <[email-masked]>
>>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>>X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Macintosh; I; PPC)
>>MIME-Version: 1.0
>>To: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Internomic votes
>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>>X-UIDL: edeaea015d99ae3889bfe352468d5adc
>>
>>If MicroNomic can legally change its votes, it votes AGAINST 332, FOR
>>333, and AGAINST 334.
>>
>
>I contend that this is an invalid game action because it violates R206 and
>R207.  Specifically, R 206 says:
>
>>Rule 206/0 (Mutable)
>>Each voting member may vote exactly once per proposal. Nonvoting members
>>may not vote.
>
>There is aa definite implication in R206 that once a nomic has cast a vote
>on a proposal, it may not do so again.  So what consitutes casting a vote
>on a proposal?  For this, we only need read R207:
>
>
>>Rule 207/0 (Mutable)
>>Voting members may vote either for or against any proposal by sending
>>their vote to the moderator by the end of the voting period on that
>>proposal. The moderator may not reveal any votes until the end of the
>>voting period. Any voting member who does not vote has abstained.
>
>It is accepted game custom that by sending a vote to the list, it is alos
>sent to the moderator.  Pascal's first attempt at voting on these three
>proposals fulfilled the requirements of R207, and in doing so brought R206
>into play, forbidding the second vote casting by MicroNomic II.
>
>The judge has no choice but to rule this CFJ true.
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 12:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure 132 found

> breadbox (has this name change been legally acked) had found
> Treasure 132, the one with Strider's Presidental Vision, and 6
> processing chips.

> I guess game custom indicates that breadbox should indicate how he
> did it.

It's a twisted tale. I don't think I would have even looked for it if
somebody else hadn't figured it out first - and I don't even know who
that person is (was?).

I have always had rotten luck with Malenkai's treasures, so I don't
pursue them too far anymore. When this one was buried, there was no
map accompanying the announcement, so I made no attempt to follow it
up. What caused me to look back at it was the last Presidential Debate
(which I participated in). Somebody submitted the question: "Igel
urre-ak Euskara hitzegin daiteke?" I recognized Euskara as being the
Basque word for Basque. Curious as to what it said, I poked around on
the web until I found a brief Basque-English vocabulary. With it I was
able to obtain a partial translation: "Frog golden Basque speak ***?"
Guessing that the missing word meant something like "does" or "why
does", I composed my answer along those lines. One of the things I
said in reply was "Zeroa bat bi hiro lau bortz sei zazpi zortzi
bederatzi, that's all the Basque I know." (These are the digits zero
through nine.)

After the debate was over, I hunted around on the Treasures page for
Golden Frog statements, but everything I found was encoded English.
So I set it aside and forgot about it.

Some time later, while futilely pursuing /dev/joe's treasure, I was
looking through the Treasure page again, and discovered that the
Golden Frog had responded to my Debate answer. This got my curiosity
running again. Eventually, I found the clues and guesses to Treasure
132, wherein the Golden Frog was quoted as saying:

 "dk jqigkvcdcv jgogbqtvbk jqigkvcdquv bqtvbk jqigkvcdcv dk dquv
 jgogbqtvbk jqigk ugk dquv dcv jqigk bqtvbk dquv jgogbqtvbk jgogtgvbk"

Having finally learned some of the habits of the Golden Frog, I was
able to tinker with this until I got something pronounceable:

 "bi hogeitabat hemezortzi hogeitabost zortzi hogeitabat bi bost
 hemezortzi hogei sei bost bat hogei zortzi bost hemezortzi hemeretzi"

I recognized several of the words as being one of the ten digits, but
got no farther after that. (I wasn't exaggerating when I said that
that was the only Basque I knew.) My little vocab list was no help.
Since whoever submitted that Debate question obviously knew more
Basque than I, I figured that I wasn't going to be beating them to
this Treasure - especially if *they* hadn't figured it out yet. Once
again, I set it aside....

I returned to it later, though, and it finally occurred to me that
perhaps the entire thing was only numbers, and the words I didn't
recognize were numbers higher than nine. Guessing that the numbers
went from 1 to 26, indicating the alphabet, this allowed me to deduce
the prefixes for 10 and 20. Sure enough, the numbers spelled out "bury
hubert feathers". Since I had been considering burying a treasure
anyway, this provided the perfect opportunity. And so I did.

breadbox
your second-rate treasure finder

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 03:18:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Swingpoints

On April 30th at midnight all Swingpoints converted to points
The Existing Swingpoint at that time were
Niccolo Flychuck 9
Mohammed 7
Red Barn 2 (yeah, he had some too)

which would make for the following score changes
NiccoloFlychuck +18
Mohammed +14
Red Barn +4  (?)

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess Umpire

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 22:24:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Let us pray

ceremoniously spake in tongues the golden frog:

Op dmvf gps nz usfbtvsf uijt npoui, fydfqu up sfnfncfs uif puifs
dmvft, boe b qbsujdvmbs bsfb pg Fyqfsuftf pg njof.  Jo puifs ofxt:
Dmptf cvu op djhbs??

unmiraculously treasure not of Jara shall you find
unless misdirectionally led you have been

Malenkai
pressed for time priest

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 22:40:33 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure 132 found

breadbox wrote:

> Somebody submitted the question: "Igel urre-ak Euskara hitzegin
> daiteke?" I recognized Euskara as being the Basque word for Basque.
> Curious as to what it said, I poked around on the web until I found
> a brief Basque-English vocabulary. With it I was
> able to obtain a partial translation: "Frog golden Basque speak ***?"
> Guessing that the missing word meant something like "does" or "why
> does", I composed my answer along those lines. 

Literally it comes out to "frog gold-the[ergative case] Basque speak can?",
or at least thats the way I figured it.  Basque has an SOV grammar, and
the adjectives follow the nouns, the the articles follow the noun 
phrases.  The dictionary I found on the web did not list parts of speech
with the vocabulary, so I'm not sure if gold(n) and gold(adj) are the
same word, as they are in English, so that part may be completely wrong.

Malenkai
figured it would be too easy if I used French or Spanish

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 22:05:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Prayer for Deliverance 

Astronautically speaking,
"laki atino makini lorhoho"
Is neither aerodynamical
Nor really astrobiologic.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 21:46:46 -0700
From: Joshua Nave <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Godfather

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> In accordance with rule 1060, I am publically stating that I am
> the Godfather.
> 
> Malenkai

And I will confirm that Malenkai was indeed a member of the Narfalones

Narf

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #73
******************************