Subject: Ackanomic Digest V2 #59
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Wednesday, April 23 1997       Volume 02 : Number 059

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:00:59 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Blue Thing to the rescue!!! 

>Having recieved a pitiful plea from euphemismbox to anagramize his
>name, I am getting ready to use The Really Big Blue Thing That
>Doesn't Do Too Much, Really. (BTW, it is shaped like a 1968 Ford
>Mustang Fastback today, in case you are interested)
>
>I am pointing The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much,
>Really at (avert your eyes, snowgod!) blankbox, er I mean breadbox.
>
>I am pressing the button marked ENERGIZE.
>
>*click* *click* *whirr*
>
>[wheat-derived-comestible-box gave me a couple of preferences... I
>hope it comes up with one of those...]
>
>Oh no!
>
>xebra bod

I acknowledge this name change.

snowgod
Registrar
really needs to update that page

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:06:01 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: e: Acka: Proposal 1945 

>Proposal 1945
>Proactive Face Salvation
>ThinMan
>
>
>{{[ In my opinion, the Senate feels some obligation to "save face" in
>Internomic by voting in favor of all IN proposals from Acka.  This
>sense of obligation can be removed without any extra work by sending
>IN-bound proposals through the Senate _first_, at a cost of only a
>slight delay in proposal submission.  This will also protect Ackanomic
>from anyone who might one day _intentionally_ try to embarrass us in
>IN.  I got thinking about this because of IN proposal 322, but I
>do not presume to judge why the various Senators voted as they did.
>322 might very well have made it through under the revisions proposed
>below anyway.  I still think it is worthwhile to make this change,
>however. ]}}
>
>Amend rule 419 (Ackanomic/Internomic Interface) by inserting the
>following sentence after the first sentence of the third paragraph:
>"The Liaison shall then initiate a vote in the Senate concerning
>whether or not to submit the proposal to Internomic; he shall abide by
>the Senate's decision on the matter."
>
>Amend rule 419 (Ackanomic/Internomic Interface) by appending the
>following text to the end of the first sentence of the fourth
>paragraph: ", except that in the case of voting on an Internomic
>proposal submitted by Ackanomic the Liaison shall cast a vote in favor
>without consulting the Senate."

I am personally oposed to this proposal, but. as ambassador, I will galdly
follow it if accepted.  Sure, internomic proposals from individual players
represent Ackanomic as a whole, but that should not lead to any
embarrasment.  If the senate votes against a proposal by one of our
players, so be it.  Other nomics (for the most part) realize that we are a
free and open society, and that in Ackanomic, anyone can make an internomic
proposal.  I say, keep proposal making free.

If we are going to change something, maybe we should make the senators be
held In Contempt if they vote NO on an Ackanomic proposal :)

snowgod
Ambassador
rambling

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:12:05 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sworn Enemies 

>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> Despite what you see above, this is You can call me Al, beaming in
>> from the "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo" port (thank you, Mr. Meeks). This is
>> my OTHER address, though I suppose this is unofficial nonetheless.
>> Anwyay, I feel it's only fair to warn you AckaCitizens that there's a
>> new top dog in the nomic universe - a nomic as freewheeling as Acka
>> once was.
>
>I think it's time for snowgod to drag the "Silly Nomic" proposal back out
>of the closet...
>
>Guy Fawkes

I was young and follish then, I feel old and foolish now :)

snowgod
doing it

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:29:14 -0700
From: Joshua Nave <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Godfather II

Once and for all....

I AM da Godfather.

I must apologize to y'all for my absence.  It is unfortunate that in my
hasty departure from AOL land, much was left behind that is now
unretrievable... to include my hyper accurate, oft updated list of
Narfalone family members.  I DO know that there are, at a minimum, 6
members (that's the number whom I can recall offhand belonging)

It is also apparent that there is a problem with the secret membership
clause in the rule, but I am loathe to get rid of it, simply because it
is FUN belonging to a secret society (and even more fun being the head
of it.)  

So... for now... I must apologeticaly (Hey wait... I'm da Godfather... I
NEVER apologize...) ask all loyal Narfalones to A) acknowledge my
leadership of the family and B) resubmit your membership vows to me in
private mail.  In the meantime, I'll read over the rules and attempt to
come up with a method of preserving the secrecy.

On an unrelated note -- much else was lost in my personal files to
include the address of the acrobot, my www acrobot password and all the
instructions for USING the bot... can some kind sould please pass those
along?

Lastly....
It's good to be back.

Narf
feeling old and foolish m'self...  Monopoly anyone?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:43:44 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Another Auction of  LBOCE

> Reply-to:      [email-masked]
> Date:          Mon, 21 Apr 1997 20:16:22 -0400
> From:          Jazz Jackrabbit <[email-masked]>
> To:            [email-masked]
> Subject:       Acka: Another Auction

> I am initiating an auction for the  "Little Bag O' Chips E", a
> unique and historic entity.  Minimum bid A$1
> 
I open the bidding with A$ 5

CarsesraC 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:50:36 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Acka: Otzma Cards (Thinman)

I want to have the OCID 123 (Tactical Retreat). And I offer  A$ 25 
for it.

CarsesraC

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:34:52 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Otzma Cards (Thinman)

CarsesraC wrote:

> I want to have the OCID 123 (Tactical Retreat). And I offer  A$ 25 
> for it.
> 
Hmmm.  I may be willing to sell.  Does anyone else care to offer more?
(This is not an official auction.  I will decide tomorrow morning
whether to accept any of the then outstanding offers.)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 07:49:17 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Clock 

I tjust occured to me (propbably occured to you guys a long time ago) that
I never reset my computer clock for daylight savings time (Why do you need
that when the sun doens't set until 10:00?).

So for the purposes of whatever rule that is, my clock is one hour off.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:08:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: (None Yet)

I support Guy Fawkes for membership in (none yet).

- -- 
Mohammed
Two breathtaking storks from another planet ate thirty intellectual nuns.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 00:24:23 -0700
From: [email-masked] (fnord)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 375 (fnord)

Jazz Jackrabbit writes:
> CFJ 375 has been reassigned to fnord.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Call For Judgement 375
>   Subject: Not-so-Organized Crime Paradox
> Initiator: Malenkai
>     Judge: snowgod (declined)
> 2nd Judge: IdiotBoy (declined)
> 3rd Judge: fnord (selected Apr 19, 1997, 22:49h EDT)

Are you nuts?!?!?  erm, I mean, I respectfully decline.

I don't even want to get into discussing this rule.  All those
"You can only do this if you are a member of the org, but
doing so doesn't mean you are a member of the org" clauses, 
effectively making moot any sort of penalties that you should be 
getting in exchange for the benefits you receive have bothered
me since this Rule came into being.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:35:39 -0700
From: Nicole Bell <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Termination of ackanomics/observer

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC4F19.BDA4C480
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Please cancel my participation in being an "observer" for ackanomics. I =
just don't have the time to read all the E-mails...Thanks and good =
luck....

Nicole

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC4F19.BDA4C480
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BC4F19.BDA4C480--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:08:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Blue Thing to the rescue!!!

> xebra bod
	Um, I will not be changing this in the bot, in anticipation of 
xebra bod's changing his name back at the end of the festival and to 
avoid confusion.

good thing I'm not registrar, actually

- -- 
Mohammed
In Nome a sourfaced romantic amazing macaw ran over stop signs.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 02:27:57 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Little Lamb

In the Passover spirit I am taking posession of the Little Lamb. The
Hagadah lists the price of the a Little Lamb as a couple of Zooz, so I get
this pretty much settles the A$<=>Zooz exchange rate.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:22:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Gifts

I promised some of the new players a A$5 bribe if they voted and became
active before the 30-day period for the whamiols expired and they started
taking away points.  (I don't know if I told every one of them; I think
I missed one.)  CarsesraC and two-star made it in time.  (Antimatter also
became active recently but not within the limit I described.)

SO anyway:

#transfer /dev/joe, CarsesraC: 5 A$: bribe for voting
#transfer /dev/joe, two-star: 5 A$: bribe for voting

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:20:36 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 375 (Bascule)

Bascule has been chosen.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call For Judgement 375
  Subject: Not-so-Organized Crime Paradox
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: snowgod (declined)
2nd Judge: IdiotBoy (declined)
3rd Judge: fnord (declined)
4th Judge: Bascule (selected Apr 22, 1997, 20:20h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The legality of a player, who has attempted to overthrow the Godfather,
speaking on behalf on the Narfalone family (ie, posting and taking bets)
7 days after the attempt was made, cannot be determined with finality
(in the general case where at least 2 players (4 if the current Godfather
is construed to be in the Narfalone Family) publically support the
overthrow attempt) when the Godfather is not an active player (or is
an active player but not actively playing).

Malenkai's Reasoning:

This is a paradox win CFJ.  It is also the real-world case we face.

Rule 1060 describes the Narfalone Family.  The rule states explicitly
that Tammany is a member of the Narfalone Family (section 6).  The rule
does not state anyone else, including the Godfather, is a member of the
Narfalone Family, yet describes ways for players, including the Godfather,
to become members.  My reading of the rule indicates that the Godfather
is *not*, in fact, automatically a member, but for the purposes of this
argument, it matters not; it just changes the math as indicated in the
CFJ's statement.  I will assume not for the remainder of the argument.

There are N+1 members of the Narfalone Family, N non-negative.  It is
not publically knowable what N is.  Section 5 of the rule describes the
overthrow process:

> 5. Any member of the Narfalone Family can attempt to overthrow
> the Godfather by publicly stating eir intention to do so. This does
> not constitute an admittance of membership in the Narfalone Family.
> If 2/3rds of the members of The Narfalone Family publicly acknowledge
> the challenger within one week, e shall become the new Godfather.

Once a player states their intention to overthrow the Godfather, this
process kicks in.  If K+2 (K non-negative) players support the overthrow
attempt, it cannot be determined with finality if (K+2)/(N+1+K+2) >= 2/3.
(A strict-constructionalist may say (K+2)/(N+1+K+2) = 2/3; however, game
custom, spirit of the game, and common sense have construed voting
ratios to be >=, not =, and even under this construction, the argument
holds in principle for certain values of K, and should not disqualify
the statement).  I also point out that the magnitude of the K+2 term
cannot be determined with finality either, because the legality of a
player voting in favor of the overthrow (and thus adding to K+2) is
not publically knowable.  (Of course, we cannot know if the overthrow
attempt was legal in the first place either!).

We cannot know if the overthrow was successful, thus we cannot know if
the overthrowing player has become the Godfather, thus section 10
kicks in, which says only the Godfather may take actions on behalf of
the Narfalone Family; some of the possible actions being placing
and accepting wagers.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:58:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Public Health Emergency!!! (fwd)

snowgod's disease, believed eradicated from the face of our fair nomic, 
has once again reared its ugly head.

I am calling a Public Health Emergency!  Narf is infected with snowgod's 
disease!  Run in panic, Ackazens.  Scream in terror!  Lose all sense of 
reason and force Narf into Quarantine!!  (Also, send your votes in to 
Count Tabula :)

In reply to Narf's allegation that he meant to do that, please note that 
he did not have to vote publically even if his email address was not 
entered into the bot.  He could have sent it privately to Mohammed without 
the Acrobot heading and let him enter the votes by hand (which he would 
have to do anyway if the bot didn't recognize you.)  Come on Narf, stop 
feigning health when the disease is so contagious.  From a civic leader 
like da Godfather, we must expect the utmost in public responsibility :)

Guy Fawkes
soon-to-be Medical Examiner

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Joshua Nave wrote:

> #vote 1959 n y

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:17:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  CGI puzzle

The time is up, and at least 2 people solved the puzzle.  I may have let 
slip a little more information than that to some of the contestants.  Hm.

Well, anyway, here's what I'm going to do.  The original stakes were Agora
or 5 PCs.  I will award prizes in stages until each of the winners has
been awarded a prize of some sort.  The prizes apply only to those who
sent in answers; everyone else can ignore this. 

Stage 1:  Who wants Agora?  If you want Agora, claim it and I will give it
to you-- but you will be removed from later stages.  

- -- 
Mohammed
Twin non-smoking funny astrologists stalked the famous baker mercilessly.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:47:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: snowgod's disease Hearing

Guy Fawkes wrote:

> I am calling a Public Health Emergency!  Narf is infected with snowgod's
> disease! 

The valid responses are below.  Reply to vote:

No, e, uh, meant to do that.
Yes, why just yesterday e posted a letter to eir aunt!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:57:48 -0500
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  CGI puzzle 

>Stage 1:  Who wants Agora?  If you want Agora, claim it and I will give it
>to you-- but you will be removed from later stages.  

I want Agora. Do the Agorans know about this transaction?

(I've always wanted to possess a nomic)

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:29:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CGI puzzle

> >Stage 1:  Who wants Agora?  If you want Agora, claim it and I will give it
> >to you-- but you will be removed from later stages.  
> I want Agora. Do the Agorans know about this transaction?
	I won't tell them if you don't.

#transfer mohammed, robert sevin: Agora : cgi puzzle prize

- -- 
Mohammed
Weird things happen to unicorns.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:34:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  cgi puzzle prizes (2)

Okay, Robert Sevin is off the list.

Stage 2:  If you want to grab your processing chips and run, reply to 
this privately.  I will divide not 5 but 6 (generous me) PCs among 
however many people reply *privately* saying they want their share.  This 
stage will last two days at most.

- -- 
Mohammed
stingy
Weird things happen to babes.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:54:41 -0500
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CGI puzzle 

>	I won't tell them if you don't.
>
>#transfer mohammed, robert sevin: Agora : cgi puzzle prize

Do I need to Ack this?

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:37:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CGI puzzle

> >#transfer mohammed, robert sevin: Agora : cgi puzzle prize
> Do I need to Ack this?
	Nope.

	Trinkets (like Agora) and A$ are "gift entities".  What that means
is you can give them as a gift and no acknowledgement is required.
	Everything else that can be traded requires an ack of some sort.

- -- 
Mohammed
This summer, vicious nice aliens overran the world.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V2 #59
******************************